Tambellini Presser at Noon

Steve Tambellini speaks to the nation at noon. edmontonoilers.com and it’ll be hard to avoid the coaching issue this afternoon.

159 Responses to "Tambellini Presser at Noon"

1. Lord Bob says:

It’ll be hard to avoid, LT? Really? Really? Don’t you work in the sports media in Edmonton? :P

2. doritogrande says:

You know they changed the website address over a year ago, right?

They automatically reroute you to oilers.nhl.com

3. kris says:

Hard but not unpossible if they ask Tambellini the same questions they asked MacT.

I can just imagine it:

“Tambellini are you happy? Do you love being a GM?”

“Doesn’t that Dustin Penner guy just irk you? Oh, you don’t want to talk about Penner. Okay, so tell me about Dustin Penner.”

Like a friggin Monty Python skit.

4. Traktor says:

MacT is done.

5. R-Gib says:

Thanks for the heads up LT. Gotta love the elevator music in the background right now… it’s lulling me into a false sense of contentment.

6. doritogrande says:

Traktor:

Not that I don’t believe you, but I’ll wait to see it on TSN.ca or from Tambellini’s mouth. Sportsnet isnt the most reliable source.

7. Coach pb9617 says:

He sat Dustin Penner, Robert Nilsson and Kyle Brodziak in the press box for a meaningless Game 82, a statement on what MacTavish thought of their games.

Wow. I missed that Brodziak took the HS. What a dick move.

8. Phil says:

Why not put some Tragically Hip on loop instead of this crap?

9. Lord Bob says:

Well, Coach, when you run a sophomore centre out with nobody players for own-zone draws the whole year and he’s a net minus because he’s not Mark Messier, you’ve got to send a message!

10. Ribs says:

So long, MacT. I hope your replacement is at least as capable as you were.

11. mc79hockey says:

We should have a pool on who asks the Souray question. My money’s on Barnes.

12. Phil says:

I’ll going to go ahead and predict that MacT will be haunting his old team with his new team in the very near future.

13. quain says:

Someone make sure to post the interesting bits, the NHL video portal just has some English gentleman telling me my url is busted.

14. Lord Bob says:

Assuming MacT is gone, can we start a collection for the “Get Jacques Lemaire for as Much Money as it Takes” fund?

15. Steve says:

We should have a pool on who asks the Souray question.

Sorry, which question?

16. doritogrande says:

Yeah okay, Tambo seems pissed at the team.

17. Smytty777 says:

Quain: presser is on 630 ched as well.

18. doritogrande says:

Tambo:

It’s the right thing for Craig, and the right thing for the Oilers at this point (that he’s GONE!)

Need a new voice, need new discipline.

19. doritogrande says:

Because we’re making a coaching change, it does NOT absolve the players of their responsibility to perform.

we are not above player movement.

20. quain says:

I’d pay money for the Oilers to hire Lemaire and for the Wild to hire MacT. It would just be so deliciously incestuous.

21. doritogrande says:

Tambo:

Not gritty enough, need to get stronger.

How much of those qualities do we have in-house, and if we don’t have them, how do we acquire it.

good pieces in place, good youth who want to be great players. Good veterans who want to be a part long-term, but expectations and preparation WILL change to take the next step.

22. Lord Bob says:

I think Craig MacTavish is a great person. I think he’s smart and funny. I would buy him a beer any day of the week, and I have nothing but respect and even admiration for him as a human being.

It is in this context that I say the following:

Na-na-na-na, na-na-na, hey hey hey, goodbye.

23. mc79hockey says:

Someone should ask if Katz’ plans include a playoff appearance.

24. Yeti says:

So, he was pushed before he could jump?

25. mc79hockey says:

26. Phil says:

I can hear Traktor laughing from here…

27. hunter1909 says:

I was terrified Tambelinni was going to keep on blaming the players, and keep MacT.

28. mc79hockey says:

Holy christ was that ever a ridiculous question from Rishaug. Who cares?

29. doritogrande says:

MacT’s contract status (still under contract for one season) is not an issue.

Does that mean we’re still paying him if he takes a job with another team?

30. pboy says:

Wow. The Oiler’s have a new General Manager and his name is Steve Tambellini. I’m shocked by this.

31. mc79hockey says:

dorito – I would say no to that, although they’ll pay him otherwise.

32. hunter1909 says:

Oilers non-veterans are ecstatic.

33. quain says:

The summary:

Craig MacTavish is no longer head coach. On that note, we’re going to gut the roster and make this a Craig MacTavish team.

34. Coach pb9617 says:

Would it kills this organization to spend $50 on a wireless mike for the journos to use?That’s a zamboniing.

35. doritogrande says:

mudcrutch:

I think this is akin to a dog pissing all over the place to establish territory and dominance.

In short, This is now Steve Tambellini’s team.

36. Alice says:

I don’t think they alter the roster *much until new coach is in place.

Which means they’ll probably want to name him (or her) soon.

37. doritogrande says:

Tambo:

I have an idea as to what kind of coach I want.

Me:

If that’s not a ringing endorsement for Scott Arneil, I’ll show up topless to the Moose game tonight.

38. Jon says:

It seems some people on here have been for the last while insinuating that MacT will do a great job with his next team…I am going to go on record and say that he has coached his last game as head coach in the NHL (baring any favortism by Sather)

Not that I hate the guy, and I thank him for the seven seasons before this last one, but this was his last year because the talent level is so deep for coaches that he will be forgotten. I hope i’m wrong but unless MacT is willing to either
    A) go coach junior hockey
    B) spend time as an ass’t somehere

Then he is done in the NHL

39. mc79hockey says:

I’ll bet that nobody asks the Souray question.

40. doritogrande says:

My internet crapped out on me for a minute there, have they discussed the rest of the coaching staff?

41. mc79hockey says:

Going to figure it out in the next couple of days.

42. jon k says:

I don’t get the anger over Tambellini’s plans for the team.

Is it untrue that this team looked weak and ineffectual this season? I don’t think so.

I think it’s an accurate assessment of the team that it needs more size in order to complement the skill players currently in place.

I can only think of two playoff teams that has a top 9 as small as us and one of them is Detroit. The rest have size and toughness throughout their lineups.

43. doritogrande says:

THERE IT IS!

tambo shut that one down fucking quick.

44. jon k says:

There’s the Souray question.

Journalist: Have you had any players express interest in playing somewhere else next season?

Tambellini: No. (…fuck you.)

45. Phil says:

He looked pretty upset when Tencer asked if anyone’s asked for a trade…

46. mc79hockey says:

Well now we’ll see if he’s lying. I think that he is.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

I don’t think they alter the roster *much until new coach is in place.

Here comes Messier, he’s a berzerker

48. mc79hockey says:

He knew that the Souray question was coming. I thought it was kind of weird that Robin wrote about asking it yesterday.

49. spOILer says:

Is this the same management that has said on a few occasions this season that they felt they had a good enough roster to make the playoffs?

50. mc79hockey says:

Does anyone else think that the praise that people like Lowe and Tambo heap on Katz is kind of reminiscent of the praise heaped on those dictators in third world countries by their functionaries?

51. doritogrande says:

SpOILer:

Not really. Lowe was still running the show back then.

No NHL experience necessary for a new coach: Fuck. Better not be Bucky.

52. mc79hockey says:

I actually completely agree with Tambo’s piece that the players should reflect on the fact that a coach who cared about the team is no longer there.

53. R-Gib says:

Tambo – new coach has to come in and command respect.

Pat Quinn anyone?

54. quain says:

I think that was Principe. He asks a decent question, but manages to ask it like a stooge. It’s impressive.

55. mc79hockey says:

Looks like Gregor has on his good sweater vest/t-shirt combo.

56. doritogrande says:

I think I liked that presser better than the MacT one.

And we’re back to elevator music! Groovin!

57. quain says:

“Steve… in your infite wisdom, will you be looking outside the organization using your all-knowing vision, or will you… are you going to look outside the organization for the next Cup-winning coach?”

58. Lord Bob says:

Great point by Tambellini, as mc79 observed.

Gotta tell you guys, I have a good feeling about this one. Not just because I think MacTavish is and has always been a tactically and strategically poor coach (great teacher, though). But because I think that Tambellini’s got both the stones and the authority to get somebody decent in here.

It’s significant, I think, that the org is making him the frontman on this rather than Lowe. It says an awful lot about the direction the Oilers are heading in.

I’ve seldom been so glad to be wrong.

59. hunter1909 says:

I wish I was a reporter in that room:

“Does this mean Robbie Schremp will be with the team next season?”

:P

60. Lord Bob says:

Somewhere along the river valley, Ethan Moreau is discretely making calls to moving companies.

61. uni says:

If anyone here ever thought MacT wasn’t good with developing young players, then you’re not going to like Pat Quinn at all.

Man isn’t an X’s and O’s kind of guy or master tactician per se, he motivates the holy #@$% out of players and that’s how he gets so much out of his teams. But his record with player development is a bit sketchy from his days with the Leafs if I recall correctly.

62. Scott says:

By far the best part of this is that Tambellini didn’t blame MacTavish exclusively. I was pretty indifferent about MacTavish going or staying, but I think it is absolutely necessary for management to realize that the problems with this team do not end with the man behind the bench.

63. hunter1909 says:

Scott: They started with MacT behind the bench.

64. quain says:

“Does this mean Robbie Schremp will be with the team next season?”

Hemsky has already told me he’s having joygasms at the possibility.

65. Lord Bob says:

Actually, I hate to spoil the lovein for RS, but Katz just sent me a text message saying “Robbie is our coach”, so…

66. Ribs says:

Katz just texted me…

"What the F$&#*&$(@)#*$*????!!!!"

67. doritogrande says:

Yes, of course, we’re going to be marshalling all of our internal grit and I expect that Robbie, being the grittiest, toughest sonuvabitch in the organization will be centering our top line..

As Sam Gagner, garbed as a christmas elf once said, Merry fucking Christmas Sugartits! Now go getch your fuckin shine-box.

68. Mr DeBakey says:

At one point Tambo mentioned “looking ahead”,
    I think in reference to MacT’s replacement

I took that to mean
    the Magical Ride of the Boys on the Bus
    has come to an end

69. NBOilerFan says:

What I’m most happy about with this news… we now have some very interesting new Oilers “talk” to fill the airways/blogs between now and the draft and July 1st.

New coach speculation/rumours… ahhh, I love it.

70. NBOilerFan says:

I envision LT is walking in circles, spitting on the floor and cursing Kevin Lowe for his ineptness, which resulted in MacT at the un-employment office.

;-)

71. rickibear says:

“take control of off ice Program”

Hmmmmm Consistency.

72. Lord Bob says:

I think Katz texting jokes are gonna live forever, I’ve gotta say.

73. kamus says:

I got an impression that Tambellini wasn’t a big fan of MacT, or at least his preffered style of play.

74. Icecastles says:

Told you he was gone. :)

Still shocking once it finally happens. I’m doubly surprised to see that he was fired rather than stepping down voluntarily. I think almost everyone here expected that if he was going, it was going to be his decision.

Anxious to listen to the press conference – just got a text from my dad telling me the news. Listening to the interview on Ched now, and wondering how the hell I’m going to turn this off an focus on the exam I have in 4 hours.

75. NBOilerFan says:

I'm not sure if its more due to his past coaching record of the World Jr's & Rebels, or that his brother is GM of our arch rivals, but I think Brent Sutter would be a fantastic choice for our coach!

PS – Another key thing to note… this is an indicator that the owner is not pulling the strings as much as intially thought after that text.

76. Smarmy Boss says:

Bye Ethan!

77. jon k says:

Why did they have to fire MacT now? How the hell am I supposed to study with all this going on?

78. doritogrande says:

However I suppose that there isn’t a small amount of irony in the fact that I’m studying employment law on the day MacT is dismissed..

79. Tyler says:

I took that to mean the Magical Ride of the Boys on the Bus has come to an endWelcome to the Magical Ride of Guys With Canucks ties!

80. Lord Bob says:

Welcome to the Magical Ride of Guys With Canucks ties!

Ladies and gentlemen, the new coach of your Edmonton Oilers, Marc Crawford!

Wow.

As an Oiler fan I’m actually happy today.

I’m glad he’s pissed off about the season on not trying to stay even keeled about the season. Everyone in the organization should be pissed off with what happened.

Loved that Tambo said “we need to stop looking behind us and start looking forward”…no more ex-Oiler bias I hope!

Loved that he wants a faster more aggressive system in place.

“Paging Mr. Arneil!”

Ok Mr. Tamballeni, you got our attention.

82. Rod says:

Just listening to the presser now (mp3 @ Oilers site).

Early nominee for Dumbest Question to Dave Mitchell for this insightful and thought provoking query: “Will he be paid for one more year?”

Certainly has a firm grip on the award…though this is the Edmonton media so there’s a chance someone with grab it away.

83. Oilmaniac says:

so they actually did it…

84. uni says:

Beats the hell out of the importance of the Sodium/Potassium ATPase transporter in ensuring proper concentrations of ammonia in the tissues of frogs are maintained.No disrespect intended, but Biological minutiae beats Law tedium any day of the week…in fact it’s not even close.

Ladies and gentlemen, the new coach of your Edmonton Oilers, Marc Crawford!And WTF are you doing Lord Bob!? You almost gave me a heart attack.

85. jon k says:

uni: As someone who studied physiology and neurobiology for my undergraduate degree, I agree wholeheartedly.

86. kris says:

All the right notes from Tambellini.

Still nothing said -or asked- about special teams, though, which is odd because it was really only the failure at special teams that kept the Oil out of the playoffs.

The failure at special teams is woth asking about because it’s so shocking. After all, the PK was supposed to be a MacT strength. And players like Souray, Hemsky, Penner, and Lubo are proven star powerplay players. (I expected the Oil to finally have a dominant PP this year. Oops.)

If we’d had a top 10 PP and a 10 ten PK, we’d have been dangerous. If we’d had a decent PP and PK we’d have made the playoffs. The Oil had the 14th best 5/5 goal differential in the league, so presumably if they’d have had great special teams they would’ve finished higher than 14th.

Anyway, Dennis has been on this longer than me, but I still don’t see why the media won’t touch these questions. Are they too boring for the fan on the #8 bus?

87. Quinn says:

I missed the presser (doing supervision outside). Did the words “MacT is not coming back” actually come out, or are we all just reading into the comments too much?

88. Icecastles says:

Uni, Dorito and Jon – I’ve got you all beat. I’m writing an essay using Bernard Shaw’s writing as a means to compare prostitution to Darwin’s ‘On The Origin Of The Species’.

89. doritogrande says:

Quinn:

Yes. MacT is done. They are looking for a suitable replacement for the head coaching position.

90. doritogrande says:

Icecastles:

I thought you were comparing Ethan Moreau to Don Quixote. What happened?

91. Quinn says:

K,

Just checked elsewhere and saw that MacT is no longer coach.

Best of luck in the next job, dude.

92. Icecastles says:

Quinn – no it’s official. Tambo said that he has been relieved of his duties. What we are reading into his words though, is that it sounds like the changes are going to run DEEP. GM is severely unhappy about the state of this team. Rightfully so. But make no mistake – As of 2 hours ago, the Oilers are officially coachless.

93. Icecastles says:

Dorito – I’m doing that one for the in-class essay!

Staios is Sancho Panza.

Penner is a windmill.

94. Quinn says:

Ice,

I remember spending a lot of time looking at popular movements influencing religious reform in the christian church in the 12th century. Mostly reading, with a butt-long essay at the end.

I’d still take that over comparing Shaw to Darwin tho.

95. Tim Thurmeier says:

Jules Winfield for coach! Sounds like the no nonsense guy Tambo would like….

96. Icecastles says:

Caller on Ched, talking about the overly-vocal ‘fire MacT’ contingent: “Are these people even watching the hockey game, or are they just thinking about the MacTavish?”

I like that. The MacTavish. Makes me think of The Jesus. Nobody fucks with the Jesus.

97. dawgbone says:

No hunter, he just blamed the players and got rid of MacT.

98. Icecastles says:

Interview with thecaptainethamMoreau and Sancho Panza coming up on Ched.

99. Lord Bob says:

As a charter member of the overly vocal Fire MacT club starting in, like, 2002, today has been worth all the abuse and the “you idiot, shut up”! :P

100. quain says:

Moreau and Staios are going to announce that they’ve relieved Horcoff and Hemsky of alternate captain duties and are looking to the outside for replacements.

Or maybe they’re just going to start a firefight with Tambo. “Look, we worked our asses off, the reason we didn’t make the playoffs is because Craig MacTavish didn’t have the heart and the will!”

101. Ribs says:

Know what’s kind of scary?

Tambo sounded an awful lot like that guy in Toronto in this presser.

102. Icecastles says:

How so, Ribs?

I really really really don’t want to believe that.

I was going to make a crack and say that I hope you mean he sounds like _____ in Toronto, but I can’t think of ANYONE in that organization I’d want to hear echoed in Edmonton.

103. Yeti says:

Hunter – you don’t have to post every single thought that leaps into your brain. Especially when there’s a great deal of repetition.

I’m surprised that MacT wasn’t allowed to quit on his own terms. It seems to me – and judging by some quotes of his in the press this morning – he was keen to stay and fight.

However, as much as I like MacT, his leaving was inevitable and probably for the best.

104. Ribs says:

How so, Ribs?
    Just his general demeanour and his harsh remarks towards the players. I don’t think he got any of that from his time with K.Lowe.

105. dawgbone says:

Yeti, it’s only for the best if you disagree on what his idea of a good hockey player is.

Here’s a hint… it’s not the 3rd line grinder everyone pegs it as. It’s the guys who make a difference in all 3 zones.

He fell on the sword this year getting these guys to buy into that. Whether they got it or not remains to be seen.

106. Icecastles says:

Hunter, he’s gone now. We know you don’t like him. But find a new horn to sound already. We get it.

107. quain says:

I think there’s worse things to pull out of Burke’s personality than that. $50M worth of player failed to make the playoffs and did so in a fairly subdued manner. They deserve to be yelled at.

108. Icecastles says:

Dawgbone – Agreed, but what matters at the end of the day isn’t just what the coach believes, it’s whether they can effectively translate that belief into a successful on-ice product. I believe in brilliant, beautiful, innovative green buildings, but that doesn’t mean I will be a good architect – I still have to translate that belief effectively.

Ribs – I see what you mean. I think at this point in the life of the team, a bit of fire and brimstone is okay though. Partly because there’s a lot to be angry about this season, and partly because I think it’s good for the fanbase to see that their new GM (who has been battling the perception (right or wrong) that he is a bit of a puppet) is passionate and doesn’t intend to be complacent.

If anything, Tambellini has been the anti-Burke so far – almost too humble, almost too quiet. Perhaps we’re seeing him start to come into his own and act like a real GM…. I think his year as an understudy can be considered over effective today.

109. Coach pb9617 says:

Eh – think about what we know this year. Discord in the locker room, rumblings of trade requests from star players, scapegoating the same three guys repeatedly for an entire team underperforming, players only meetings a bunch of times. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

110. quain says:

The comment thread is shrinking! I’m going back in time!

111. hunter1909 says:

Tambellini was great today. Pissed off as hell, nothing like the happy looking lap dog I saw last year at his unveiling.

This is a good day to be an Oiler fan. It’s pretty safe to bet that Katz gave the old boys this season to evaluate them, and, despite the fact that he may or may not personally like them, is enough like the rest of us to understand that sweeping changes are necessary to take the team forward.

112. T. says:

So um… do you think the Media guys know all their speculation and making fun of possible new coaches is going live to the internet right now while they wait for Moreau and Staios?

113. quain says:

Jen Sharpe is getting so fiiiiired.

114. mattwatt says:

l-o-v-e the media members scrumming right now. Also love the fact that two guys who I thought were not very good this year, Staios and Moreau, are the ones addressing the media. What message does this send? Loosing several steps or taking silly retaliation penalties are in vogue?

115. doritogrande says:

When first on the scene equals you get jack-shit for camera space.

Love it.

116. kris says:

I think Moreau will take a penalty at the press conference.

Or maybe they’ll drag him in trapped inside of a penalty box on wheels, like that scene in Silence of the Lambs where Hannibal Lecter is being wheeled around in a straight jacket and muzzle.

117. T. says:

apparently someone mixed up the on/off switch on the mic cause now there’s no sound….

118. quain says:

This organization needs a new arena to turn Edmonton into a world-class city. Someone should mention that doing press conferences with a webcam on mute is probably not the best way to look like an organization that deserves a new world-class arena.

119. doritogrande says:

Okay, so it’s not only me that isn’t hearing anything?

And 630CHED’s on loop-tape of the Tambo interview. Crackerjack work Edmonton.

120. doritogrande says:

And now the website’s cut all ties to the interview. Good job?

121. T. says:

What a shit show that was…. I mean really, how bad is the Oilers tech crew?

Abort! Abort!

122. Duke Phillips says:

I don’t know if anyone caught Jim “Punching Bag” Kelley on Prime Time Sports on Monday…

the conversation turned towards which coaches were most likely to get canned at the end of the season, and MacTavish was mentioned as the prime candidate, along with Lindy Ruff from the Sabres…

at the end of the show, Kelley made a very interesting comment – “Lindy Ruff is from Alberta, that’s all I’ll say” or something to the effect. Lots of innuendo… Jim Kelley is pretty plugged in to the Sabres…

I dunno, is there a chance that Warburg, Alberta’s own Lindy Ruff is coming to the Oilers? That has to be the best-case scenario for this team, isn’t it?

(BTW for a guy that’s been travelling abroad for the past few weeks this site has been an absolute lifesaver – Lowetide, you do a fantastic job, and the comment threads are just as good. Really gives you a sense of what’s happening with the team when you’re away from E-town….)

123. dawgbone says:

We aren’t even 12 hours into the post-MacT era and things are already falling apart.

Apparantly, the mic was setup for a presser, but they changed it to a scrum. They’ll have audio after.

124. quain says:

Just got a text from Katz:

“Look, I don’t know anything about a press conference. Moreau? Staios? Who the hell are they? Stop calling me.”

125. Icecastles says:

Quain: I’m waiting for the text that says, “the media crew isn’t going anywhere.”

126. doritogrande says:

Icecastles:

Bonus point.

127. hunter1909 says:

This press conference could be run by a second year film school class and not be any worse.

And wtf’s with holding press conferences in boiler rooms? It looks more like something out of Das Boot, than a “world class” hockey club..

128. Icecastles says:

I love how Brian Hall leads in with a “Hey, let me tell you”, recites a list of upcoming games, names a few famous players, caps it off with “Wooooah yeah” and calls it reporting.

129. Alice says:

/I’m surprised that MacT wasn’t allowed to quit on his own terms/

Actually, I think he was. He could have taken the opportunity yesterday to pull the chute himself, but I expect resigning/quitting the post would mean forfeiting a year’s salary, or whatever of that would be required to top him up. The man’s still gotta eat.

130. hunter1909 says:

The fact that HF Boards agrees with my 2 fave choices for coach Pat Quinn and Laviolette kind of scares me.

Who does everyone else want? Please no Renney – I’ve suffered through his making the Rangers go from perennial out of the playoffs losers to a perennial early round soft patsies and in so many ways it’s actually worse than the past regime.

131. Master Lok says:

Little did we know that one of the things that MacT did before every press conference was set up the audio and video.

Well, we know now.

132. Alice says:

Also, in terms of raising your profile, accepting a resignation doesn’t exactly reek of ‘taking charge’. The optics work better for Tambo this way too.

133. doritogrande says:

Who does everyone else want?.

I’m going to watch my candidate tonight actually. Hometown Moose open up their series against the baby leaves. And now I feel proud to wear the Oiler jersey out in public again.

134. Matt N says:

Gregor on Souray over at ON

"Here is what I got regarding Souray. He expressed concern/disappointment to his agent about the situation in Edmonton.

It was not a flat out TRADE ME request, but he expressed concern. With the coach moving on now, I have been told that some of the frustration/concern has been addressed."

Read more: http://www.oilersnation.com/2009/04/tambellini-press-conference-live-blog/#ixzz0Cmf6OYTs&B

135. MikeP says:

Alice, if he doesn’t have enough stashed away from 8 years at salaries near a million bucks either way to eat for a year, he’s as stupid as Mike Modano and his dog food. Pretty sure he’s ok there. Of course, nobody turns down a chance at another “free” million bux.

kris, your penalty comment made me laugh loud enough that my stepkid in the other room asked me what was so funny.

I can only imagine Moreau’s response to what he thought was a rude question: “Want to see how I broke my hand?”

136. Alice says:

Mike, My point wasn’t that he’s going hungry, my point was resign vs. getting canned is more than semantics, that’s all.

137. doritogrande says:

Anybody else take Staios’ interview around the 4:30 mark as throwing the kids under the bus?

138. hunter1909 says:

They’re both okay guys, and occasionally okay players, but to have these players of this low calibre in charge of leading a NHL team seems tantamount to committing professional sporting suicide.

139. digger says:

So I guess not only does this team feel its way into games, it’s now feeling its way into press conferences?

//Seeing that pic of Moreau and Staios wearing a “C” and an “A” speaks volumes about the team’s decline since 2006.//

Staios did a fine job leading the team the last half of the previous year. You can question Staios’s hockey ability. You can’t question his character.

141. Lord Bob says:

Apparently, Steve Staios and Ethan Moreau hang out off-ice and Staios has not once thrown Moreau in front of the LRT, so there is a bit of a character question.

142. Asiaoil says:

…..I’m back :)

A good start – but much rot still needs to be cut out of this ship before she’s seaworthy again.

143. Jonathan Willis says:

The more Ethan Moreau talks, the less I like him:

We need to change the culture and change the environment. We have to get back that pride we had in the organization.Question: Who has been the captain for the past two seasons, anyway?

144. mc79hockey says:

Well now that the obvious has finally been accomplished I hope that the next step involves banishing the on-ice leadership that failed this team so badly this past season. Moreau and Staios should be packing their bags for that reason alone let alone the cap implications of contracts.What are you aiming for here AO, a team led by Nilsson and Penner? I’ve got my issues with Moreau and Staios but really, the truth of it is, most Oilers players at the moment are on the “dislike” side of the equation for me. Moreau and Staios are a hell of a lot closer to “ambivalent” than a lot of other guys.

They aren’t the first guys who I’d ship out.

145. Lord Bob says:

You know Captain Dustin Penner would at least make sure the post-game meal was good.

146. Jonathan Willis says:

Tyler: Not even from the cap hit perspective?

147. Asiaoil says:

Quit creating straw men MC – nobody is talking about guys like Nilsson with a C. Moreau has been an unadulterated disaster as an Oiler captain – Staios is his wingman – and both were teacher MacT’s favorite pets who saw ZERO consequences for stuff that got other guys a seat in the PB all year.

The candidates for the C are obvious: Souray or Horcoff with Hemsky and Visnovsky wearing the A. For cap and leadership issues both Staios and Moreau need to be shipped – page turning time.

148. mc79hockey says:

Moreau has been an unadulterated disaster as an Oiler captain – Staios is his wingman – and both were teacher MacT’s favorite pets who saw ZERO consequences for stuff that got other guys a seat in the PB all year.I don’t know that you can realistically say this of Staios – MacT likes D with lots of games and they all get slack. Moreau and the penalties? Sure, that would have got a younger guy PB’d.

With that said, you can’t lead assholes. This Oilers team has some guys – Nilsson and Penner – who’ve both been pissed on by coaches elsewhere. I don’t know what you expect from the leadership group but if you’ve got people who won’t respond, they won’t respond.

In short, AO, while I agree that MacT made some puzzling decisions and that Moreau/Staios haven’t led this team anywhere, I’m allowing for the fact that I’ve got lots of years of observation that’s convinced me that he’s a good coach. I know that he can get along with the vast majority of hockey players. Prior to this year, there’s been exactly one guy who I thought he treated unfairly, in MAB. If there’s a problem between him and guys who have a track record of pissing off coaches, I don’t know why we’re so eager to say it must be his fault. Similarly, I’m not so sure why it’s Moreau and Staios being shitty leaders. One, I don’t buy into that and two, some of the guys who seemed to have trouble don’t exactly have clean sheets in the “good soldier” department.

149. bookie says:

“Here is what I got regarding Souray. He expressed concern/disappointment to his agent about the situation in Edmonton.

It was not a flat out TRADE ME request, but he expressed concern. With the coach moving on now, I have been told that some of the frustration/concern has been addressed.”I said it this morning, I am with Horcoff, Hemsky and Souray. I dont know how they feel, but they are all even keel guys. I personally felt that MacT was a bigger part of the problem this year (only because the other problems – Penner, etc are less influential). I said that if I knew how these big time competators felt (like souray) then I would follow.

I felt Mact acted like a man who couldent figure out what to do without Reasoner all season and just tried magic formulas like an alchemist gone mad, BUT what I did not know was IF something else was a big enough problem (team chemistry) that he was actually a sane man on an insane ship.

Souray’s comments tell me that MacT was the problem (at least makes me suspect it more).

150. jon k says:

I agree with Tyler’s asshole theory. Nilsson and Penner are both guys that came across as not giving a shit, both to the public eye and in their on-ice play. Both have physical deficiencies relating to fitness and both were known to not join the rest of the team for summer fitness camp.

At the very beginning when we acquired Penner he was asked how he would deal with the expectations attached to his salary and his answer was basically “meh, I don’t think it really matters”.

There’s just some guys that once they’ve made their mind up about something you can’t reach them.

You read between the lines of what Moreau, Staios, and MacT have been saying all season and even last season and I think that’s what you get.

Some people march to the beat of their own drum and that’s fine, but when it comes to work that means sometimes you have to work a little harder not to piss everyone else off in the office.

151. Ribs says:

The more Ethan Moreau talks, the less I like him:

I’m with you on this. I’m not sure this is a guy who really “gets” the leadership role that he’s been placed into.

152. dawgbone says:

Asiaoil… it wasn’t until Souray landed on this rock that everything fell to shit in the first place.

I wouldn’t be so quick to crown him, especially with the evidence. For years the Oilers dressing room was considered to be very tight. Even when the team brought in some pretty high profile guys who were used to being the man themselves (Peca, Pronger), there were no cracks in the room.

Then the Oilers run into some issues and struggle a bit. Word comes out no one wants to play in Edmonton because it’s too cold, far, small, not enough ballets, etc…

The hero arrives on his white horse and declares that he does want to play in Edmonton. He will sign with this organization in plight and show how noble he is.

So we’ve got this guy who has a pretty commanding personality come to this team. He’s probably feeling pretty good because he’s the toast of the town (because he wants to play here).

And then suddenly the room falls apart and the only thing this organization had going for it in the past 15 years or so absolutely falls apart.

Fits together rather well. Guy with a big ego comes in and tries to change everything to how he sees fit.

And this should be our captain?

153. Asiaoil says:

Our next C has to lead both on and off the ice – Moreau did neither – 2nd worst captain in Oiler history. Moreau and his wingman Staios are both mediocre players at this point in their careers – but every since Smith/Smyth/Pronger left – they played a way bigger role in the team culture than should be given their stature (4th line winger, 3rd pair dman). Clearly everyone had to operate the “Moreau way” or you were not a “team guy”. To have a guy with that little talent blackballing young guys like MAP, Rowbear, and Penner – and he did it with the full support of the coach. That is not how you lead and not how you change behavior if that’s what you actually want to achieve.

MacT is gone – good riddance – he was a decent technical coach in some ways but this season was one of the worst displays of sport psychology and human resource management that I’ve ever seen – dude wrote the book on how NOT to motivate or achieve performance goals. His pets Moreau and Staios can go as well since they were clearly on that side of the room. Today was a good start – but as I said – the y need to sweep the rest of the crap leadership out the door as well.

154. Icecastles says:

Dawgbone – that’s a good theory, but it’s a bit like saying my wife left me at sunrise, therefore the sunrise caused my wife to leave me.

Do you have a single shred of evidence to back those claims up? Because those are some pretty sweeping accusations. Especially when they are made about a guy who on the ice you constantly see congratulating his team mates, giving support on the bench, calling it straight in post-game interviews, all without even once throwing a single team mate under the bus.

He might not be a shoe-in for the Captaincy, but this year he has shown nothing but leadership and class, which have been in rather short supply.

155. NBOilerFan says:

Wow Dawgbone, I like alot of teh stuff you write, but I agree with Icecastles here…. those are some pretty large assumptions with what I would have to say are clearly all speculation without a shred of evidence.

The future of Souray is a tough one for me, part of me would love to keep him and make him the captain… and teh other part things we shrould trade him and get his salary off teh books.

My concern with teh latter being that I feel he is teh best choice for captaincy here. If Souray is dealt, then go with Horcoff, but I think Souray would have much more effect and respect from teh young guys, plus to me he seems to say the right things to the media and I think he would be the same in the dressing room.

156. Doogie2K says:

Also love the fact that two guys who I thought were not very good this year, Staios and Moreau, are the ones addressing the media. What message does this send? Loosing several steps or taking silly retaliation penalties are in vogue? .

Maybe it’s an effort to make them accountable after the fact?

Is he responsible for the rhythmic tapping that always annoyed me during his pressers? I thought he was tapping a water bottle or something, but after watching some on video, it turns out it wasn’t even that.

That’s about the only thing I can really see explaining it. I guess we’ll see if the next coach has the same problems. Then the two or three guys on the MacT scooter will be able to say, “I told you so.” ;)

@Dawgone: Nothing at all to do with the longtime captain and alternate captain leaving within a couple of months of each other, eh? Or the fact that the makeup of the room has changed dramatically over the last two years?

157. Dennis says:

DB: But Souray dresses well and he bought the kids expensive watches!!!

158. dstaples says:

One question — does anyone know if you can pay money and buy another team’s first pick?

Because the thought of sending a package of players and cash to Tampa Bay, a team hungry for cash, is appealing?

(Yes, I love to think up ways of spending Katz’s money).

P.S. I asked this also at MC79, but this is a slightly different audience, and I’m keen for an answer.

David: No. It’s verboten and I believe that’s for all of professional sports in NA. The rule got crushed after Finlay started trying to sell off Vida Blue and others 35 years ago.