Tom Renney In A Box

Ask an older hockey fan for a list of Bruins coaches and you’ll get a long list: Harry Sinden, Tom Johnson, Bep Guidolin, Don Cherry, Gerry Cheevers, Terry O’Reilly, Mike Milbury and I could name a bunch more.

Habs? Bowman, Bob Berry, Jacques Lemaire, Jacques Demers, Pat Burns and on it goes.

The Rangers? Lordy. Emile Francis. Fred Shero. Herb Brooks, Roger Neilson. A bunch of guys over decades and then Mike Keenan. Then a bunch more and Tom Renney.

Since the 1967 expansion draft, New York’s Rangers have had 23 coaches (and some of those came back later). In the same time frame, Montreal has employed 16.

Renney enjoyed 243 regular season wins with the Rangers, the most since Emile Francis over 30 years ago.

Tom Renney was employed from 2004 to 2009 by the Rangers and had a successful run. In the half dozen or so seasons between Colin Campbell’s demise and Renney’s hire the Broadway Blueshirts were wandering in the wilderness. Renney righted the ship (with help from the procurement department and some good management moves) and the Rangers had some post-season runs. They made the playoffs, they got out of the first round, they gained traction and built the foundation for something good.

Whether or not the NYR reach the pinnacle during this period of their history is no longer a part of the Tom Renney story. His future may be in Edmonton, let’s see what we can find out about him.

1. Does he roll 4 lines or sit people on the end of the bench? In the 03-04 season (Renney was hired late in the season) the Rangers employed 6 regulars who played more than 10 ES minutes per night (they were Jagr, Holik, Jan Hlavac, Lindros, Messier, Josh Green). Dan Lacouture, Jed Ortmeyer and Chris McAllister all played 8 minutes or less at even-strength. That was the team Renney took over, and after the lockout the club returned with a different look, but again had 6 forwards who played 10 or more minutes at even strength. In 2006-07, Renney seems to have expanded his bench at EVs, with 9 players over 10 minutes a night (several of them role players). Incredibly, 11 regulars had 10 minutes of ice-time a night (or more) in his final full season with the Rangers.
  2. Why the change? The Rangers were adding good young talent all down the line during this period (as we’ll see when we discuss the rookies). As Renney found he could rely on these players (and there was controversy here) the veterans gave up a shift or two per period and balance and fresh legs became the norm.
  3. Does Renney roll 3 D pairings or stick with his best 4 men on the blue? In his first full season with the Rangers, he relied on everyone pretty much equally at EVs and PK. Six men were between 2:49/game and 3:36/game when the NYR were a man short that season. He did rely on Rozsival, Tutin and Poti on the PP. Each of the following seasons was very similar, although he was relying on Rozsival (and later Staal) more than the others. This isn’t Cito Gaston straight up but it’s pretty straight up. MacT for instance would usually run his 3 best D heavier at EVs and PK when given the opportunity (and of course had his PP men, too).
  4. How Does he Handle the Rookies? In his first season, they brought in a bunch of kids (remember this was post lockout so 2 seasons of rookies were out there). Fedor Tutin, Dominic Moore, Petr Prucha, Ryan Hollweg and Colton Orr all had their rookie seasons in 05-06. Some skill and a lot of muscle there, it’s a good rookie crop for one NHL team. The following season only Dan Girardi played enough to qualify but in 07-08 the flood poured out with Mark Staal, Brandon Dubinsky, Nigel Dawes and Ryan Callahan all enjoying their rookie seasons. That’s a beauty year for an NHL team. Renney employed 10 rookies in three full seasons, or 3.3 per year. This compares to MacT’s 5.0 per season, which I think tells us the Rangers as an organization didn’t force feed the kids the way Edmonton did during MacT’s reign. I think that’ll be key moving forward should Renney take the job in Edmonton.
  5. How Many of these Rookies Had Major Roles as Rookies? Staal, Dubinsky, Tutin, Moore, Prucha. MacT’s list would be longer, deeper and would feature men who were more marginal in talent. I very much doubt the next Oilers coach will be burdened with a “develop them on the fly” order as was the case with the previous coach.
  6. What kind of Rookie Stepped up under Renney? I think there are similarities between Renney and MacT here, as the two-way types (like Dubinsky and Callahan) all flourished and found roles were the one-dimensional types (like Dawes and Prucha) had a harder time of it.
  7. What kind of rookie defensemen develop well under Renney? Really good ones. Tutin and Staal arrived under his watch and they use Dan Girardi a lot but I don’t know how good he is/will be.
  8. Is there an area of concern with regard to rookies? I don’t think so, he looks pretty textbook. There aren’t any Fernando Pisani’s that I can see, but not having a Fernando Pisani emerge isn’t a crime (he is a somewhat unique player in terms of development).
  9. Does he have specialists for certain roles? He really tried to get his best players on the ice for powerplays. Jagr, Nylander, Straka and Shanahan all had over 5 minutes a night on the PP or more in 06-07. He seemed to like Blair Betts in the Todd Marchant role.
  10. What are his Strengths? I think he was very good in developing a strong defensive team, through both the roster (including goalie) and strategy. He’s a button-down type coach in terms of style but has a laid-back manner and delivery. He believes it’s a lot about what you leave (using MacT’s phrase) but has a reputation of being a “players coach.”
  11. What are his weaknesses? I’m very tempted to say “the same as MacT’s” in answer to this question. The button-down style got them into the playoffs quite a bit but the lack of offense got him fired.
  12. What else got him fired? Part of it was probably that they had stopped listening and his time had come, but another part is that Glen Sather has no idea what he is doing.
  13. What is his future? NHL coach in a city smaller than NYC.
  14. Is he a good candidate to coach the Oilers? I think he’d be an excellent choice.

65 Responses to "Tom Renney In A Box"

1. bookie says:

I think he was very good in developing a strong defensive team, through both the roster (including goalie) and strategy. He’s a button-down type coach in terms of style but has a laid-back manner and delivery. He believes it’s a lot about what you leave (using MacT’s phrase) but has a reputation of being a “players coach.”.

What part of this lines up with Tambi’s comments “I want somebody who matches up with the type of play we want to see here. We want an aggressive type of play, we want an emotional team. We want a team that is not standing on its heels. We have people here with skill and I want to see it.” If Tambi is telling the truth and LT’s description of Renney is correct than he is not coming here unless Katz and Jagr make the decision or something of the sort.

2. HBomb says:

Not to hijack, but what a collapse by the New Jersey Devils.

Uncharacteristic, in a word. But it looks good on Smug Lou.

I think they’re supposed to give NJD an extra goal to start each period in game 7′s. No?

They’ll fix it in summer.

4. Jonathan Willis says:

As much as I wish MacTavish had developed Staal, that was Renney ;)

That’s a great summary and fits with what I’ve read. It might interest a few people here to know that no team started a greater percentage of their draws in the offensive zone than Tom Renney’s New York Rangers.

5. Jonathan Willis says:

I’m also not sure how good the powerplay was under Renney; top ten on 2005-06 and 2006-07, but 21st last year and near the bottom of the league this year.

He seems like a very strong even-strength coach to me.

6. jon k says:

The biggest hurdle that Renney will have to overcome in the hiring process is his reputation as being a soft player’s coach. Although if we end up with Jagr that’s what seems to work with him.

The word from Gregor and Brownlee is that Tambellini is looking for a bit of a hardass to bring the best out the team’s motley crew.

7. Schitzo says:

Shoulda started Clemenson

8. bookie says:

Sooo, now that NJ is out, does the Sutter debate swing into full swing. Or does his team blowing it like they did mean that we need to question his ability to win under pressure….????

Can we just ask for Claude Jullien back! -).

10. Jonathan Willis says:

Also, I didn’t mention it above, but that’s a great picture, LT.

11. Jonathan Willis says:

Sooo, now that NJ is out, does the Sutter debate swing into full swing. Or does his team blowing it like they did mean that we need to question his ability to win under pressure?

Well, it’s like Scotty Bowman used to say: in the playoffs, breaks are going to play a big part and you have to be lucky to win.

12. jon k says:

I agree with JW. It would be pretty asinine to blame a coach for an unlucky pair of goals in the dying minutes of a high pressure game.

Unless negligence or error can be proven, like an egregious mis-pairing or the like, you just can’t blame coaches for such small variations.

13. Mike says:

He’s got cred. He’s got an honest to god NHL track record. Hire him. Would we honestly rather a total greenhorn or a portly Irishman?

Fresh start does not preclude known quantity.

14. pboy says:

IMHO, it won’t be Renney. Usually when a team let’s go of their coach, his replacement has an attitude or style that is the polar opposite to what that team had before. Renney and MacT have a ton have check marks in the same columns as each other so I think Tambo might be looking at someone with a bit bigger of a personality. Quinn, Crawford (ugh) or Laviolette all fit that bill.

15. knighttown says:

@Trak

If you’re still around, picking up our discussion on having 8 defensemen you trust in your organization.

1) I never suggested having an NHL vet in the 8 spot and subjecting them to waivers. I suggested having Peckham play #1 minutes in Springfield and when the inevitable injury happens, he gets slotted above our current number 7 (Strudwick) and plays at number 6. If things get worse and we lose two guys, Peckham goes to #5 and Strudwick to #6.

2) I actually don’t have a problem with Smid as a number 4 in emergencies. In fact, I was heavily touting him as being the guy ready to take that next step to becoming the Chris Phillips I hope he will. The problem is that Steve Staois is our number 5 and will get top 4 minutes ahead of Smid based on what history tells us. I suppose, with MacTavish gone that may change but after Steady Steve finished strong and Laddy, um, didn’t I think the depth chart I propose is accurate.

16. Art Vandelay says:

Or does his team blowing it like they did mean that we need to question his ability to win under pressure….????No. Seriously. Have they shut down all the AM radio call-in shows?

The guy has won at every level prior to the NHL. He’s unfreakindefeated at the World Juniors. The only reason NJD is not advancing is because Fatso singlehandedly gacked up 2 of the 4 losses with late goals (best goalie in NHL history, my hairy @zz).

If Sutter becomes available, 15 teams would immediately fire their coaches to get a shot at the guy. I’m not a fanboy or anything. I think he’s from the Lemaire tree of entertainment-killing hockey, but you can’t seriously question the guy’s ability to coach the big game. Good lord.

17. HBomb says:

Very qualified individual. I wouldn’t hire him.

As others have said, he sounds too similar to the last guy.

18. Showerhead says:

What’s particularly awful about the NJD implosion is that it was Brodeur’s form and not some BS bounce that caused both goals. If he’s our Olympic starter I will absolutely cringe.

Regarding Renney, great analysis. I think you do an excellent job of inference based on what can be figured out and an equally excellent job of staying away from guesswork about what there simply isn’t available data on.

Lastly, thank you for that photo. Back in say 2000 when digital cameras were relatively new I chanced to become a photographer for my school and snap that picture’s exact high-school football doppelganger. Was pretty effing pleased with how it turned out and it was part of a surreal day overall, forever ingrained in my memory. Thanks for the trigger!

19. Coach pb9617 says:

I honestly think he’s probably a better tactician than MacT, although I’ll confess that I haven’t seen enough games to be sure on that.It’s not close.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Renney and MacT have a ton have check marks in the same columns as each otherNot nearly as many as you think. LT slanted his entry to directly compare Renney to MacT in the affirmative.

21. bookie says:

Given the responses, I am thinking that my little bit of humour got taken a bit too seriously…

Coach: I compared Renney to MacT for 2 reasons: first of all, we’re familiar with MacT and secondly it seemed during the process that they had some things in common.

They’re veteran NHL coaches who have had some success, they’re interested in winning games by having good defensive teams.

If I were to compare their success rates and in-game strategies then all kinds of other factors enter the equation.

One thing that really comes into view when looking through their post lockout seasons is that the Oilers roster has had tremendous turnover. Just insane. We should probably look at that as a root cause of many of the problems the Oilers had in the last 2 seasons.

23. Jonathan Willis says:

Nonsense, LT. It would be crazy for Oilers fans to demand another radical roster overhaul if radical roster overhauling had been done the previous two seasons – and if there’s one thing we know about Oilers fans, it’s that we aren’t crazy. Therefore you must be in error.

More change!

24. bookie says:

Interesting interview on the Oilers site with Gilbert today done by Tencer (sorry if this is old news). One key thing that Gilbert mentioned is that he felt that the team spent too much time changing systems to adapt to the opposing teams and that this was really difficult for some players to do. He says that the Oilers spent a lot of time worrying about the other teams instead of, perhaps, worrying about what their own style of play was and forcing the other teams to adapt to them

Some of us suspected that was part of the problem (the mad scientist that took over MacT started to see secret messages in the newspaper articles….). Maybe MacT supporters are correct and it was the players, but this shines a little extra light on the Player perspective.

It also suggests that even if Renney is defensive minded, it does not make him like MacT…

25. HBomb says:

Up until this series, I still would have had him as the starter and Luongo as the back-up.

Not anymore.

Oh, and Steve Mason over Cam Ward any freakin’ day, thank you very much.

26. Ribs says:

I’m not sure Renney is the flavour Tambellini is looking for right now but he could definitely do worse. Renney is a smart guy but he hasn’t been known for his motivational skills all that often.

…Has anyone else been secretly cheering for the Canes these playoffs? Fun team to watch. Ward is backpaying for that Smythe this year. I hope Boston doesn’t roll over them.

27. Ribs says:

…and HBomb…I’d take Mason too. Ward has been insane this series though.

28. Jonathan Willis says:

Olympic Team Goalies:

Luongo
    Brodeur

The third guy doesn’t really matter, but I’d be happy with Mason, okay with Ward, and shocked but pleased if it were Mike Smith.

29. hunter1909 says:

As a long time bandwagon NYR fan, with many rag hardcore fans among my friends and acquaintances, and having seen the rags ever since Gretzky fizzled out there…Tom Renney is NOT the coach for the Oilers.

Sure, the first year everyone will be all excited, because they’re going to improve. They will then be booted out of the playoffs, in the first, second round. Everyone will think “Oh what a great future we have”.

Then fast forward a few more seasons, and the team will be as soft as butter to play against, forwards and defencemen will be misused, and just make sure we get a great goalie to cover up all of the mistakes which will be left untended by “nice guy” Tom Renney.

Renney made a very good if not great AHL coach. That said, he proved nothing in the NHL. He simply doesn’t know how to win in the NHL. Which is why he’s out of work today.

30. Asiaoil says:

…..beatings will continue until morale improves…..that is all.. .dismissed.

31. PDO says:

Quinn next please ;)

32. Shawn says:

The Kootenay Connection! Tambellini, Horcoff and Renney. Smokies unite.

I will say that Renney is a world class guy at the very least.

33. hunter1909 says:

Oilers should try to steal Ryan Callahan off the Rangers. There have been many games where he was the only player for the home side who played as if he actually gave a fuck.

You know, the way thecaptainethanmoreau used to play.

34. Asiaoil says:

Just a quick comment about a “players coach” not being a good fit for the Oilers. First off – what exactly is a “players coach”? Mostly I see this used as a pejorative by guys who think that the Don Cherry slopeheads of the world have a clue about coaching. What ever it means – I certainly don’t see MacT as having been a “players coach” at all. This last season he basically turned into an angry, vindictive bag of pus who was probably a complete drag to be around. Given the baggage that EDM carries as a place to play – don’t you think that having a guy who players actually like to be around and respect would be kind of useful in trying to convince anyone to stay or play in EDM?

Steve Mason will not have won a playoff series, and you guys want him to be an Olympic backup? I think we should wait and make sure that he doesn’t turn into Carey Price next year. If he is solid next year, only then does he go on the list.

Goaltenders who don’t spend two years in the minors, and work through their first major crisis there, tend not to escape it, and under the glare of NHL lights, it looks a lot worse than it does in the AHL. See Grant Fuhr. Carey Price, or almost every phenom in NHL history who didn’t have an extended stint in the AHL.

I don’t think Brodeur should be on the Olympic team at all.

Luongo with Ward and Fleury as backups is my depth chart at the moment.

36. Schitzo says:

I don’t think Brodeur should be on the Olympic team at all.

Luongo with Ward and Fleury as backups is my depth chart at the moment.

If Luongo got hurt, I would be extremely uncomfortable with a Ward/Fleury combo.

Like, to the point of losing sleep over it.

37. hunter1909 says:

ASIAOIL: I come from the Edmonton area, and having left there for college in the 90′s only to never return, I can well understand the reasons some people think Edmonton is a shit place to live.

Having said that, for the money these stiffs are being offered, any one of them too lame to accept, well, its not like they’re getting sent to Attica Prison.

The thing that REALLY stinks from the players POV, isn’t the city. Or the jackass fans. What blows is, a team that lives perpetually in the past, that, like the rest of Canada as a whole has been brain drained out of most if not all of it’s best and brightest talents, minds. Whatever you want to call them…only to be replaced by second and third rate organisational talents who, having no real or actually provable talents to call their own(ala Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri etc), seem to have set up a 1990′s-2000′s version of an old west medicine show.

Ward has won a Stanley Cup and a World Championship, since the last time Brodeur has won anything. It looks like his game has become consistent. He has outdueled Brodeur head to head twice in the playoffs.

When was the last time Brodeur won anything? And his game has begun to show a slow perceptable age-related decline in consistency?

Canada lost in 2006 because they took too many old guys and didn’t incorporate enough younger hungry guys.

Luongo is likely the man. Having Brodeur around means you are questioning whether Luongo is the guy. And you have to start grooming Ward or Fleury or Mason for next time. 2010 gives Canada the opportunity to give two of them the Olympic experience as preparation for 2014.

39. hunter1909 says:

PS: Having said all THAT, I’m currently hopeful that Katz+Tambellini are enough of a new sheriff+deputy to clean up the town, pronto.

40. Smarmy Boss says:

Fleury has a lot more going for him then Mason. (Who could be next year’s Cary Price)

Hard to predict performance in goaltenders that don’t have much of a track record in the NHL.

41. hunter1909 says:

Canada leads the hockey world when it’s got the balls to play it’s young rising stars.

Canada usually fails, whenever it “depends” on it’s aging players.

Sport is merciless, like that.

42. DBO says:

Nice post LT. i like Renney as an option, however the point is accurately raised about his similarities to MacT. And i agree the in your face style Tambellini wants doesn’t seem to mesh with what we know of renney. All I ask is no crawford. Maybe Torts is let go, the rags sign MacT and we sign Torts? Personally i see us going with Pat Quinn with 2 experienced system type assistants. One from the AHl (Arneil type) and one from the list of long time NHL assistants.

A quick question? Why do you rarely see former NHL head coaches go behind the bench as assistants like the NFL? Seems like they all become announcers and then back into head coaching. the problem with that is they lose the feel of the modern game (Melrose) and don’t seem to excel. Maybe we should go for Jim Schoenfeld (prob spelled wrong) who is now an aasistant in NY, but was an NHL head coach. We know he’s an in your face guy.

43. Jonathan Willis says:

I’m fairly sure they’re guessing, likely with some better hints, but largely from the Tambellini PC. Brownlee himself said that Tambellini’s pretty much the only guy who knows what he’s looking for and the other day Prendergast made it sound like Tambellini’s keeping his own counsel on this.

44. Jonathan Willis says:

DBO: Mike Sullivan’s back as an assistant coach, and I believe Trent Yawney is as well. Others (like Joel Quenneville) go into scouting roles before returning to the bench.

45. Jonathan Willis says:

Canada usually fails, whenever it “depends” on it’s aging players.

Take a good look at that 2002 gold-medal winning team. How many of those players were “young rising stars”? I count 3.

Arniel is NOT going to come as an assistent to anyone. He’s been an NHL assistant.

No NHL-ready AHL head coach is going to come as an assistant. Most of them already have two years of apprenticeship as an NHL assistant, and they went to ride the buses because they want to be head coaches, (and not have the cushy life and security of a long-term NHL assistant}.

Long term NHL assistants are the worst place to look for a head coach. CHL coaches have to high a failure rate moving from children to men without AHL experience first.

The idea of Quinn with his replacement as an assistant is foolhardy. It never works, (Mainly because the Arniel’s and the Dineen’s are not going to come as an assistant).

If you go with Quinn, you are looking at a complete turnover of the coaching staff again in two or three years.

47. Jonathan Willis says:

Tehn it’s handy to compare the 2006 roster to the 2002 one I mentioned above.

How many “younger hungry guys”? I count six. I think it’s fair to say that the 2002 roster was older and leaned heavier on veterans than the 2006 roster.

The notion that the problem with the Canadian teams that lost was an over-reliance on veterans while the thing that allowed the Canadian teams that won to win was a reliance on younger players is mostly a myth, IMO.

48. DBO says:

Willis: so are any of Sullivan and Yawney on the list

49. Jonathan Willis says:

DBO: I don’t know either especially well; I’d imagine Sullivan gets another shot at some point but I’ve read some funny things about Yawney.

50. pboy says:

DBO: I’m gonna go ahead and guess that the answer to your question is money. In the NFL, some offensive and defensive coaches make two or three times what a head coach in the NHL make. I’m going to guess that NHL assistant coaches don’t make a fraction of what an NHL head coach make and that is one of the reasons why some would prefer to stay in Junior or the W and at least be running their own show still. I remember years back when Joe Gibbs was the head coach of the Redskins, they were paying Gregg Williams (the former head coach of the Bills) something like 3 mill a year to be their defensive coordinator and heir apparent to Gibbs. Jason Garrett is currently making 3 million as the offensive coordinator for the Cowboys and I will bet that when Norv Turner left the ‘Skins as head coach and took coordinator jobs with Miami and San Diego, he didn’t take too much of a pay cut. I will be willing to bet if Katz wanted Quinn to be his head coach and wanted young, up and comers like Dineen or Arniel as his assistant coaches, that Darryl’s pocketbook could easily convince them to take the jobs. That is the biggest luxury to having a billionaire as our owner. Their is a cap on how much he can spend for players but he can spend as much as he wants on scouts, training staff, modern facilities too either woo new players or placate current ones, or pay for the best management types and coaching staffs.

51. Master Lok says:

LT,
    I don’t know your email address. Here’s a link to an article about the NHL loaning money to Phoenix in order to pay some of its debt. Phoenix is in trouble.

52. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

Speaking of the Rangers…

The Rangers collapse brought me back to a point I wanted to make. Paul Mara and Chris Mason both grew pre-playoff beards and both of their teams lost. Coincidence?;)

53. NBOilerFan says:

I too don’t mind Renney as an option. As someone said above, we could do a lot worse.

I also think Renney would have the players respect from the get-go (not have to earn it) and you don’t have to be an A-hole of a coach in order to motivate players.

The question really seems to come down to teh style of play that Renney would invoke… and that is where we get some disconnect from what Tambellini said in his presser and the general type of coach that LT describes Renney to be.

54. Coach pb9617 says:

I don’t disagree that they have things in common, but you wrote the entry to affirm that opinion. There are a large number of things that they differ on as well, near all of them not listed here.

It’s not a shot at you, it’s just framing the entry.

55. NBOilerFan says:

bookie said…

… we know that Tambellini at least wanted to interview him… so what does that say? Does Tambs see a different type of coach in Renney then what LT described?

56. NBOilerFan says:

Coach pb9617 said…

Care to elaborate, Coach?

57. bookie says:

Between this and Coach’s comment, I think the answer is clear – LT is really Craig MacTavish!

Coach: I wrote what I’ve seen and read. Would love to have you flesh out these differences, it would be beneficial.

59. Dennis says:

After saying I was falling off the wagon, I just wanted to drop this in because no one else had: Jagr loves Renney.

It would be shortsighted to hire a MacT clone as a lure for an aging superstar but as much as we hear that this is Tambo’s Team TM, as long as Kevin Vish Throttler Clarke Sinden Lowe is around, nothing negative will surprise me.

60. bookie says:

Dennis…you didnt even read my comment, first post…last line…

I agree with Dennis. If Renney and Jagr show up, it means Lowe is still running the team, and Tambellini is a puppet.

62. Vic Ferrari says:

I don’t know, Dennis, Jaromir “it’s all about me” Jagr had plenty of bad things to say about Renney every time that the Rangers lost a few and the media put some heat on him.

Renney built the game plan around Jagr though, iirc Jaro satrted on the offensive zone more than any other player in the NHL in 07/08. And if you use shots (for and against) instead of icetime when measuring quality of competition … it makes barely any difference. But if you use ONLY the shots against, then you get a good idea of who was being shofted over the boards against tired legs or with the puck headed north.

And Jagr was top five in this as well. Jaromir is like Bure, tou build the game plan around him or you don’t take the job. Or you fight him and get canned (SEE Wilson, Ron).

The alternate theory is that Jagr ups his game against higher quality opposition. And since the only guys ranking higher are Nylander, Lupul, and Briere … I find it hard to believe. Granted, mostly I find it hard to believe because the whole premise is ridiculous to my mind, but there you go.

There are a lot of qualified people out there, and in terms of results it matters little who they hire IMO. I’d like a coach who plays an uptempo game, but with this roster, realistically they don’t have the horses for that, not unless they decide to cut their losses on a few of the kids and bring in a few real NHLers into the forward ranks.

The important thing is that the new guy is Tambellini’s guy, and that everyone sees it. Every effer in the room has to know, when he’s pissed off with the coach, that he hasn’t got a hope in hell of ever winning that battle. That he will rot in the minors for years before the coach even getas a nasty look from management.

When a coach is on a short leash … doesn’t matter. When a coach is on a short leash and the players know it … he’s done.

Also, I really hope Tambellini fires a couple of the old guard. I mean for years the Oilers have brought in the occasional outsider (Ward, Truitt, Julien), and like the old school Star Treks, they were the dudes on the transporter that you’d never seen before. You just knew that the cahnces of them being around for another episode weren’t good.

The Oilers old boys club, the inner circle, look fat and slow. And axing the periphery guys now and again does little to make them look credible. The opposite in fact. I hope that Tambellini takes an axe to the gilded cage.

We’ll see.

63. Jonathan Willis says:

I always enjoy your comments Vic (whether I agree with them or not) but this paragraph was gold.

Whatever the behind-the-scenes reality, everything presented publicly (especially the Prendergast interview and the season ending Tambellini press conference) make this look like a Tambellini team and it sounds like the coach will be his call and his call alone – at least based on publicly available info.

64. Bruce says:

like the old school Star Treks, they were the dudes on the transporter that you’d never seen before. You just knew that the cahnces of them being around for another episode weren’t good.If the newcomer was dressed in red, he was as good as dead, very possibly before the opening credits rolled. Good analogy with the “outsider” coaches.

65. dawgbone says:

That Star Trek analogy came at a great time… there was an episode (original series) on last night and they had 3 no-names in red beam down.

They were all dead in 10 minutes. That being said, they usually but the hot blondes in red and they lasted a while.

Umm… as for Renney… I like him. Seems like the kind of guy who can carry on with Gagner’s development into a real NHL player, as opposed to the offensive only cap eater many want him to be.