This means that Sam Gagner’s cap hit for next season will be $875,000 instead of $1.625M. I’d completely forgotten about it until Jason Gregor mentioned it on his show this afternoon.
Huge advantage. Here then are the top value contracts for the Edmonton Oilers next season:
- Sam Gagner (.875M): Final season of his entry contract and he had a very nice second half of the season. He went 36gp, 13-14-27 +1 in the back half of 08-09.
- Andrew Cogliano (.850M): Another bonus baby, I think he’s reaching an early crossroads but has all kinds of ability may improve markedly season over season.
- Marc Pouliot (.825M): If he can play in the top 9 he’s a bargain at this price. His 5×5/60 numbers are somewhat similar to Cogliano’s and he might surprise given a full season’s worth of plate appearances.
- Zack Stortini (.700M): He’s made progress and as mentioned by others could get some shifts inside the top 9 next season.
- Theo Peckham (.560M): He could be a tremendous asset should Edmonton find a need to offload Smid this summer (while having a suitable replacement).
- JF Jacques (.525M): If he’s healthy Jacques could help this hockey club. Everyone talks about the Bruins rough and tumble style, and this guy fits that description.
Other value contracts could come when Kyle Brodziak, Denis Grebeshkov and others are resigned. I also remain convinced Ales Hemsky’s deal is still a killer, although not at the level of this one.