Islanders Talk to Tavares (Rumour)

Word tonight that the New York Islanders may be talking to John Tavares. The source is here.

The money quote is here: It is intriguing, however, that the Islanders have kept the details of their visit from Tavares a secret and would not even respond to calls for a confirmation of the meeting. A day later, and not even Canada knew. That’s an NHL record, and admirable.

Among the major questions this news raises: WILL Brian Burke file tampering charges?

23 Responses to "Islanders Talk to Tavares (Rumour)"

1. Hemsky is a gangsta says:

Bob McKenzie says the Isles WILL draft Hedman. So we’ll see how this works out.

In other news, Andy Strickland says the Oilers could pursue the Sedin twins.

2. R O says:

In other news, Andy Strickland says the Oilers could pursue the Sedin twins.

I thought the Oilers were an NHL hockey team and not an Olympic diving team?

3. mc79hockey says:

I would have thought that they could have reduced the chances of signing problems if they got his name on a contract before he saw Nassau Coliseum.

4. Coach pb9617 says:

Bob McKenzie says the Isles WILL draft Hedman. So we’ll see how this works out.He’s the better pick, but that franchise needs a name. It’s a shitty spot for them.

5. uni says:

They need a name? I think the concept of needing a name to sell tickets is nonsense. Winning will put butts in the seat regardless (unless you’re in Nashville or some such, they both won and had Forsberg at one point and still couldn’t get butts in the seats for the playoffs). Tavares could be something very special and has all kinds of upside. Hedman on the other hand is the better player now and has better potential upside as a franchise defenseman with all the skill you’d want, some sandpaper, and the one thing you can’t learn in size.

Hedman is plain and simple the better choice. Tavares or Hedman the Isles still win. For my money I’d bet on Hedman, and it looks like Snow will as well.

6. Jon says:

RE: Sedin Twins

Would you trade Horcoff if it meant signing Sedin twins???

Obviously other moves would have to be made but by signing the two swedes you would obviously have to lose horcoff…question is, would the oilblogosphere agree?

7. Chris says:

I think if you sign the Sedins you probably move Horcoff and Penner. I don’t think that would really address this team’s “lack of toughness and grit” that Tamboleni seems to identify in fact Horcoff was one of the hardest working players on the team. But I think it does increase the skill level. I’m admittedly intregued to see what the Sedins could do with Hemsky, Gilbert and Grebs on the ice with them at the same time. That would just be a slick platoon to put out there, that would be puck possession that could rank up there with anyone short of Detriot.

But if we do that I think we really need to give the third line a face lift. Pisani can stay as he’s a good soldier. However, we definately need a vetran centre and preferably a left winger whom is more responsible than Ethan Moureau to give us a strong checking line.

8. HBomb says:

By my math, to get the Sedins, you’d have to ditch all of Penner, Souray, and Horcoff, or the first two plus Staios AND Moreau without having anything coming back.

Those two with Hemsky would be sick, and it would be one HELL of a splash by Tambellini. I’d be in favor of it.

But I cannot see it happening, unfortunately.

9. Jfry says:

i disagree with the “hemsky would be great with the sedins” talk.

hemsky does not flourish in a cycle setting, especially in a cycle setting where he has to play off the puck so much and I-up for the shot. brett hull would be great with the sedins, hemsky not so much. there would be some beautiful goals, but i don’t think that combination would maximize our revenue, so to speak.

i think both penner and gagne would compliment the sedins much more because they think “cycle” much more naturally.

so you end up with something like the following (if you assume as many have, that horc would have to be gone):
    o’sullivan – gagne – hemsky
    penner – sedin – sedin

maybe jagr plays with the sedins? i jest.

i’d rather poach some talent from philly and boston, than get into more of these absolute upper end deals, especially two at once.

what is o’sullivan’s value? the trade we made to get him isn’t much of a comparable…i guess what i’m asking is, if we decided to trade him to replace a ‘need’, what level of player comes back in the grit dman, stoll tree?

10. 99thoilerfan says:

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

No Sedins !

No disrespect, they have talent, but…. It is in a Petr Klima sort of way…Dangerous but …If you watched the drive/heart of the Hawks vs ‘Nuck’s…

You know what I mean ?

The Sedins are piss-cutters, absolute piss-cutters. I take them on my team 10 times out of 10.

12. Coach pb9617 says:

Yup, having the 1st overall pick, an owner that is willing to spend money and finally seems to be listening to some reason…tough spot to be in.The owner has alienated a large portion of his fanbase over the last 8 years. The remaining fans have been further annoyed by Wang dicking around with his “losses” numbers and the whole “I wish I never would have purchased this team” whine.

Now, what’s left of the fans want their own Crosby. Not taking Tavares is going to likely push attendance into the low 12,000/game area.

Of course, I want the Islanders to take Hedman so that Maple Leafs trade insanity happens at 2.

13. Jfry says:

@LT you take them on your team even if it’s something outrageous like trading horc (your guy) and then taking on 13m a year for the next 5 or 6?

Jffry: Penner, Moreau and Staios would be heading out of town, plus Souray if they can find a home for that salary.

15. Jfry says:

has there been a peep out of souray since the weird end of season drama/meeting?

16. PDO says:

Get the Sedin’s, keepHorcoff, and Souray, and Visnovsky.

Package Gilbert with the 10th to move up.

Trade Nilsson for Halak.

Ship out Moreau, Penner and Staios for picks. If you can’t move any of them, bury them in the minors.

Next season:

Sedin1 – Sedin2 – Gagner
    Cogliano – Horcoff – Hemsky
    O’Sullivan – Malholtra – Pisani
    JFJ – Brodziak – Stortini

Vis – Grebs
    Souray – Smid
    Peckham, +2 cheap UFA defenders.

Halak
    JDD or journeyman goalie.

If you assume the Sedin’s cost $13,000,000, Malholtra and the UFA D cost about $1,000,000 each, Grebs costs $3,000,000 and Smid about $1,500,000…. we’re sitting around $53,000,000.

17. Smarmy Boss says:

What are people basing on the idea that Hedman is better then Tavares right now?

Five years from now I can see it but not many defensemen are all that good the first few years in the league.

From what I understand he performance in the playoffs was considered to be “meh” by some/many.

While he finished in a 4 way tie for 9th in playoff scoring for the OHL playoffs, we was 1pt behind Carlson also from the Knights.

We also tied with Knight Kadri with 21pts and only 2pts ahead of Varone and Del Zotto.

He didn’t dominate the scoring on his own team and I read an artcle that descrbed his play as “lacklustre” or “soft” or some synonym of those descriptions.

I didn’t watch the OHL playoffs, so I have no idea if that is true.

i disagree with the “hemsky would be great with the sedins” talk.

I disagree.

I think it would do Hemsky a world of good to play with two players who can go into the corners, get the puck and be good enough with it to find him. From there he dishes to the best shot, which will often be to a Sedin, and they can shoot.

Hemsky can shoot well too, and he would have more opportunity to shoot with the Sedins. I think he is just learning how good of shot he has.

I also think it would do Hemsky’s head a world of good if he played with two players he trusted to carry the puck. As much as he works ok with Horcoff, he doesn’t trust him with the puck.

Hemsky went offside a lot when Horcoff had the puck, and often seemed frustrated. Some times I think Hemsky could have avoided the offside and was a little lazy, but often he couldn’t.

I think a function of Hemsky being such a puck hog is because he doesn’t trust others with the puck.

He would trust the Sedins.

I think.

20. Smarmy Boss says:

So is Tavares drop because of his poor playoff performance rather then anything Hedman has done?

I’d probably draft Tavares as he’ll pay dividends sooner and Hedman will likely be close to UFA status when he is a dominate player.

21. Bank Shot says:

Tampa has one all world center, and another that looks like he’s close behind.

What do you think it would take to get the second and pick Tavares?

10th + O’Sullivan/Cogliano + Grebeshkov?

22. raventalon40 says:

Tampa has one all world center, and another that looks like he’s close behind.

What do you think it would take to get the second and pick Tavares?

10th + O’Sullivan/Cogliano + Grebeshkov?More. And I wouldn’t trade Grebs.

23. uni says:

?

It’s highly subjective of course when it comes to prospects. But I’ll put it to you this way, do you think Tavares coming from the OHL can step into the NHL tomorrow and run with a clip that would help his team win? How many years away do you think he is, 1 or 2 years in the AHL?

Tavares hasn’t improved markedly in the OHL season over season playing against the same level of competition.

Hedman stepped into the 3rd best league in the world as a 17-18 year old and held his head above water. he followed that up a year later as a 18 year old as his team’s top 2 best defensemen, playing in all situations, against men.

At that level of improvement, how many years can you see him in the AHL? 1 or 2?

Who’s the better player right now? An all-star elite junior forward scorer or a star all-around defenseman in arguably the 3rd best professional league in the world?