The draft week traditions are rolling along nicely. From Bob McKenzie’s tsn30 to speeds excellent top 40 to the wonderful annual work done by YK Oil the week is progressing as it should. Tomorrow, Kyle Woodlief from Redline will do his annual “I’ll answer your questions and bitch-slap ISS” session. Woodlief already has his look at forwards, defenders and goalies up at the USA Today site and it’s well worth the read.
In the goalie section, there’s a tremendously interesting item under Sleeper. Woodlief talks about Finnish monster Mikko Koskinen. Among the items:
- Koskinen is a classic late bloomer who will be turning 21 in a couple of weeks and is barely still eligible for the draft.
- At a gigantic 6-7 and a spidery 187 pounds, he’s not nearly filled out yet and could grow big enough to blot out the sun in a couple of years.
- He came out of nowhere to perform well in the top Finnish league this season and is the draft’s ultimate wild card.
- Many teams sent their chief scouts over specifically to look at him in the second half, and if one or two clubs fell in love with what they saw, with the lack of top goaltending talent this year, there could be some teams feeling pressure to step up and take him early if they really want him.
- Though we’re not as high on him, Red Line would not be surprised to see Koskinen selected as high as the second round, perhaps even as one of the top two goalies to come off the board.