Bona Fide

We’re waiting for the official list, but Guy Flaming gave us a nice roadmap awhile back with regard to the kids who’ll be qualified. If you’re too lazy to click, it looks like Mathieu Roy, Stephane Goulet and David Rohlfs are headed out of town. They’ll probably also say goodbye to Hans Benson, Sebastien Bisaillon and Glenn Fisher, with Guy not certain about Tyler Spurgeon and Josef Hrabal.

The official list is out and Guy nailed it.

Word in the EJ today is that the Oilers offered Schremp at the draft for a 2nd rounder and didn’t get any response. If you’re looking to place value on a prospect, that’s certainly an indicator.

26 Responses to "Bona Fide"

1. Guy Flaming says:

No, I'm certain – Hrabal was quietly bought out.

Spurgeon I expect won't be back.

Good stuff, Guy. You sly bastard. Maybe your blog can have a "guide to what I'm really saying here" on the side?

As an aside, I've forgotten your number and you owe me money. Call me and set up a time to pay me back.

:-)

3. PDO says:

Anyone wanna bet on LT owing Guy money being related to Hrabal not being a player for the Oilers? ;)

4. Jonathan Willis says:

Guy: Are you sure? The only reason I ask is this Peter Adler article from mid-June where Hrabel says "my goal is to impress in Edmonton".

5. Jonathan Willis says:

Surprised about Spurgeon, too. Ryan O'Marra and Bryan Pitton are still members of this organization, aren't they?

6. Chris says:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hrabal was gone, Hrabal had a Horabal season.

Chris: We're on the honor system here, but I'm sure you'll do the right thing and stand in the corner for 10 minutes.

8. HBomb says:

LT: why should Chris do so? Lord knows he's not Hraballious individual to make such a pun about said player.

Where have you gone Chris Hajt?

10. Guy Flaming says:

@ J.Willis

I know about the Adler story. My info came to me the very next day and I linked to the Adler story in my own write up.

There is a real chance that I knew before Hrabal… hence the reason I was 'speculating' in that story. I don't want to be the way a guy finds out he's not getting resigned or cut loose completely.

I blame Guy. He screwed over Mikael Youkov's career because he never wrote about him at all. Ever.

And now Hrabal is bought out because he never felt the love from the fanbase.

We never knew much about him, on account of Guy writing a story about Rob Schremp every 5 minutes.

Poor Hrabel. Hrabal.

12. Jonathan Willis says:

Guy: Thanks. I suppose this isn't surprising, given how the past few years have gone, but I am a little surprised it was done so quietly.

13. Hawerchuk says:

Oh man…That means we're going to be seeing a lot more of Benson at pickup on Fridays…The high school kids are scared of him…

14. speeds says:

How does a buyout work for a player like Hrabel?

Does it count against the cap? I'm assuming they only have to buy out his AHL salary, otherwise I don't see how it would make financial sense to do so.

15. raventalon40 says:

I like Spurgeon.

16. Chris says:

Oh come on LT, the situation demanded that someone go there and make the obligatory pun!

17. uni says:

Too bad about Hrabal, would have been interesting to see him at camp. I mean we're almost sure of what he is, but the injury prevented us from really getting a good view of him. He did some interesting things overseas.

As for Spurgeon I was hoping he'd have a shot as a good 4th line PK role player. But those are the breaks, have to cut the extra bodies loose =(.

18. NBOilerFan says:

It's certainly a hard reality that eventually some of these guys that we have had high hopes for have to eventually be let go to make room.

Imagaine how hard it must be on them, considering how we feel for them.

I have been extremely high on Young for the past few years and felt he was really going to be an impact player, but I'm coming to the realization that it just might not pan out for him as effective NHler. Even if he moves elsewhere.

Chris: The really funny thing is that you appear to have long arms because you were typing when you should have been standing in the corner!

20. Anonymous says:

At lot of the fringe guys with possible upside let go are really just opening the door for Tambellini, Quinn, Renney and crew to bring in their dozen contracts they want for those spots isn't it?

21. James says:

I'm a little confused why they'd buy out Hrabel with such limited cap room. Even though he only had a NHL contract of $675,000 for one more year, wouldn't that mean their salary cap will be reduced half of that amount for the next two years. Whereas if they had buried him somewhere deep (ECHL) they wouldn't have had to pay him much and wouldn't have been hit with the cap reduction at all. I'm trying to find something on this in the CBA but haven't found out how they can do a buyout without cap implications as of yet.

22. Anonymous says:

FYI – McDonald was qualified

23. Mr DeBakey says:

"FYI – McDonald was qualified"

I'm not surprised
    He probably has a better chance to play for the Oilers next year than Reddox.

Possible addition
    - Jamie Bates [a young Colin McDonald]

I'd like them to add
    Maxime Lacroix
    Left Wing
    Born Jun 5 1987 — Quebec, PQ
    Height 6.00, Weight 191, Shoots L
    64 points in 63 ECHL games
    First pro year

24. dunciano says:

where did you see that anonymous?

Yeah, Anon. I haven't seen it elsewhere.

From the Oilers July 1: qualifying offers to: Brule, Dubnyk, Grebeshkov, McDonald, Potulny, Reddox, Schremp, Smid and Stone.