Did the Oilers sign Grebeshkov?

A few weeks ago there was a strong rumor about the Oilers signing Denis Grebeshkov. It was all over the highway, including some details (I heard 3 years at a little over 3M per) on the contract. Times has passed, and other NHLers are signing contracts. Did I miss it? Have the Oilers signed Denis Grebeshkov?

32 Responses to "Did the Oilers sign Grebeshkov?"

1. jon k says:

I believe that they're waiting until July 1st when some contracts come off of the 50 contracts list to sign him. I might be mistaken.

I can't see Grebeshkov and his agent minding any since he'll be eligible to receive offer sheets then.

jon k: Edmonton has signed:

March 23: R Jordan Eberle
    May 19: D Johan Motin
    May 27: D Alex Plante
    May 31: C Milan Kytnar

ALL of those are additional contracts and would certainly put the team over 50. Grebeshkov is most certainly already on that list, so I can't see why it would be held up.

3. Gerta Rauss says:

Question:

Is both UFA/RFA eligibility on July 1?

I thought RFA was a couple days later…

And if they tender a qualifying offer,he cannot be offersheeted..yes?

I'm really hoping that they wanted Quinney to get settled in before announcing it…but I've been hoping that for almost 2 months now.

4. Coach pb9617 says:

Maybe they're going to trim $3 million from next year's cap and get a 1st and a 3rd back at the same time.

5. jon k says:

LT: I don't think those players count against the cap until their entry level contracts kick in. We need speeds or someone to chime in though, I think.

6. Bruce says:

I read about that the other day, somebody's blog had a good link. The team can have more than 50 different guys under contract, the maximum applies per season. So a contract signed ahead of time for next year can put them over the "50" as long as there are expiring contracts that will be coming off the books June 30.

The "Grebeshkov signing imminent" story has cropped up twice so far, but neither time did the "Grebeshkov has actually signed" story follow. It's making me nervous.

7. Hoos says:

Does anyone else think that Toronto could use a young puck moving defenseman?

Is there another offer "under" the table?

8. mjsh says:

Seems to me the same thing happened last year. There were rumors of him signing and then nothing for a while.

mjsh: Yeah, I don't think it's s big deal and we'll probably get word sometime soon.

Still, there have been some changes in terms of coaching since the end of the season and perhaps Quinn/Renney have their own opinions.

10. Gord says:

mjsh

IIRC – last year he would not play in the World Cup without a contract – it was signed the day prior…

11. Gord says:

We’re now talking, and I think we’re quite close to signing a new contract. I like the team. I like playing there, I like the team, the guys.

And it’s a hockey city. I mean, this is Edmonton, Canada. It fills me with satisfaction, playing there.

12. PunjabiOil says:

My theory is that the Oilers have agreed with Grebeshkov on a verbal basis. They're just holding off this signing until later in the off-season; after they acquire an expensive high end player and need keep the cap hit below 10% over the limit.

See Gionta, Brian – NJ.

13. PunjabiOil says:

I doubt it, given Quinn was quotes as saying that he didn't know a lot about the players, but was planning on getting to know them soon.

Grebeshkov will be back folks.

Hot damn is the back-end solid. Reminds me of the Niinimaa-Hamerlik-Smith-Mirinov era.

14. uni says:

PjO: I had almost forgotten about those late 90's team that could roll out Boris, Roman, Janne, and Jason.

I remember how surprised and excited I was when I found out T-Bay had given up Hamrlik for the draft bust player equivalents of a bag of pucks and some sticks (Bonsignore & Kelly).

Weight, Smyth, and Guerin as a line brings back fond memories as well. Man I even miss Mironov's penchant for shooting high at the worst possible moment that made me cringe every time, poor Smyth.

Also I get worried when players start talking about how much they enjoy Edmonton and want to stay. The last two players I remember doing that in their home media were Dvorak and Sykora =(.

15. Black Dog says:

Yeah uni, but I think both of those guys did want to stay. I read or heard something about Sykora just the other day (I think it was after the Cup final) about how he had wanted to stay in Edmonton but they passed on him and so he was a little lucky to end up with the Pens.

Grebs will be signed – I would not worry.

And I will be filled with satisfaction, seeing him sign.

16. DBO says:

I hope they signed greb for the 3 year $3 mill per deal. That's a solid contract, and this team needs a few more of those in order to stay competitve.

17. uni says:

Yep, 3.25ish per for 3 years or longer would be excellent. I don't think I'll relax till he actually does sign though.

I still don't understand how Gilby got a 4 million per contract. I would have thought he'd be happy with 3.25-3.5ish for a few years.

I look at Edler at 3.125 in VanCity and I wonder if Gilbert could have been had long term for less.

That's the death-knell cap wise of this team right now, slight overpays all over the map and death by a thousand paper cuts.

18. Scarlett says:

My friend ran into Sykora in the Czech Republic right after he signed with the Pens. Edmonton did want him back but he had the chance to play with Crosby so he took it. Otherwise, he did want to stay. He's a pretty good guy. I'm glad he got a Cup.

19. Scott says:

Is both UFA/RFA eligibility on July 1?

I thought RFA was a couple days later…

And if they tender a qualifying offer,he cannot be offersheeted..yes?

Free agent status is granted to both RFAs and UFAs on July 1st.

Tendering a qualifying only gives the original team the right to match an offer. If there is no qualifying offer then he becomes an UFA. Only if you take a player to arbitration is he taken off of the RFA market.

20. NormanMendoza says:

uni,

# of UFA years given up counts. Gilbert gave up several UFA years. That's why. Edler was straight RFA — no UFA years given up IIRC.

21. Ssseth says:

Tambellini was on Jason Gregor's show on Friday and said there was nothing to report. He didn't say much other than negotiations were underway. From what I've seen the last year, Tambo tends to keep his cards pretty close to his chest though so take that for what it's worth.

22. Coach pb9617 says:

Exactly. The Oilers bought the last two years of Gilbert as a UFA at 6 million.

//Exactly. The Oilers bought the last two years of Gilbert as a UFA at 6 million.//

Actually 4 unrestricted years. Gilbert is 27 next January.

24. ryanbatty says:

If they sign Grebeshkov they'll be over the 50 SPCs for next season.

From the Oilers website

The 50-contract limit has an interesting distinction in that the limit pertains to the season(s) for which a contract is valid. All NHL player contracts expire on June 30. Knowing it has expiring contracts coming off its 50-contract maximum, a team can sign players to contracts for the following season. By doing so a team may have more than 50 different players signed to valid SPCs, as long as 50 or fewer are signed to valid SPCs for that current season AND fewer than 50 SPCs on tap for the upcoming season.

So based on that we need a couple of deals to expire on June 30 before we can sign Grebeshkov.

25. raventalon40 says:

@jon k

I believe if you sign a contract that doesn't start it's term in 2008-2009 you can list them now. That's why Eberle's contract doesn't count towards the 50.

26. hunter1909 says:

Why does the NHL insist on 50 contracts?

Who's interest is this in?

An English premier League club like Arsenal can virtually field two complete teams, when necessary due to having to play more games than anyone of it's players being physically able to play.

It should be closer to 75 contracts maximum if anything, allowing teams the ability to have an NHL team, an AHL team, and a few major juniors, and a few ECHL players.

27. ryanbatty says:

@hunter1909

My guess would be that it's not the NHL that insists on a 50 SPC max, but the NHLPA. By having the max at 50, teams can't stockpile talent the same way and it creates more opportunities for players to move around and establish themselves.

28. hunter1909 says:

Okay so the nhlpa insists on a maximum of 1,500 players allowed to play for it and it's affiliate teams.

Given that icing an NHL lineup x 30 teams means um… 600 players?…

No way in hell can a team develop it's prospects properly under this punitive and pathetic system.

29. Griffy aka J says:

im callin in right now: no gilbert no souray next year

30. Schitzo says:

You're right, look at all that overflowing talent in Springfield that we didn't re-sign. If only we had 60 contracts available.

31. PunjabiOil says:

Which is a good thing.

Kevin Lowe was way too emotional as a GM. Making claims the Oilers are "going to overpay" and are going to make trades – failed to deliver, so started throwing out poor contracts to Nylander and Penner.

That's not to say he couldn't make good moves – Grebeshkov, Gilbert, Visnovsky all fantastic acquisitions. He just failed to make the best deals when it mattered the most (Pronger, Smyth) and the contracts to Moreau, Pisani, and Staios were weak.

There is finally hope in Edmonton now that the root of the organization's problems – Kevin Lowe – is no longer the GM of the Edmonton Oilers.

"Holy Mackarel, we got a lot of defenceman!"

32. TV says:

If a signed player is sent back to the CHL, he does not count toward the 50 man limit.

x6