Don’t You Know You Are A Shooting Star

This is Paul Rodgers. With due respect to Mick and Robert Plant and Eddie Vedder, he’s probably the best male vocalist rock music has ever produced. His Free days (pictured here) included some stunning live versions of “All Right Now” which you can youtube for proof.

Anyway, Rodgers helped form something of a “supergroup” after Free, they were called Bad Company. Former members of Mott the Hoople, Free and I think King Crimson got together and produced some fine music.

The problem was the lyrics. They’re awful. An example:

Here come the jesters 1-2-3
It’s all part of my fantasy
I love the music
And I love to see the crowd
Dancin’ in the aisles and singin’ out loud

Since I can remember, Bad Company are the strongest example of a great band with simply awful lyrics (John Fogerty is close, but for every “Lookin’ Out My Back Door” there’s a “Lodi” or “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”). My wife always teases me when I sing “Shooting Star” because it’s so bloody lame, but that fricking Paul Rodgers could sing the phone book and make it sound good. They should have hired Bernie Taupin.

I think Ryan Potulny might be a “small S” shooting star. I don’t know that he’ll ever get a full 500 at-bats in the show to prove it, but his shooting rates (3.48 per game last season) have always been a positive.

With the Oilers in the mix for a Heatley here or a Kotalik there or a Samuelsson should he shake loose, I’m caught one more time wondering if Ryan Potulny might be effective in the shooter role. He’s an RFA (the Oilers will have no problems signing to a franchise-friendly contract) and he’s done pretty well in the NHL at even strength (according to nhl.com, he’s 1.95/60 over the years) despite not being a featured player.

Guys like Potulny need a break and GM Tambellini/coach Quinn have zero allegiance to him. Having said that, he does have some of the skills this club will be looking for this summer.

43 Responses to "Don’t You Know You Are A Shooting Star"

1. speeds says:

Potulny is not signed, he's an RFA on July 1st.

Still, he won't cost much. Right?

3. quain says:

He looked pretty good in that complimentary shooter role during his call up last season. Always seemed to know that the best place to shoot from was the slot, so he got himself there and let a man with fancy hands do the work of getting it to him.

4. Coach pb9617 says:

This is Paul Rodgers. With due respect to Mick and Robert Plant and Eddie Vedder, he's probably the best male vocalist rock music has ever produced.

Freddie Mercury?

And your reasoning is why I chose Potulny as one of my four in your last post.

5. speeds says:

that is most likely true LT.

If I was Potulny I doubt I would sign before July 1st. What's the harm in getting you're agent to check the market, see if he can convince some team to offer him a one way deal at 550K on an offer sheet (no compensation at that dollar figure).

speeds: Do you think there'll be a big market for that kind of player? Seems to me that's an outstanding bet for an organization to make (even if he spends the season in the minors).

7. DBO says:

potulny is exactly the type of player we need. Someone who would be happy to be a 4th liner, but could slide into the top 6 when needed. teams like Detroit always have these guys to plug in. he's 6'0 (so not a shrimp). Can play centre or wing, and like LtT said he actually shoots the puck. 30 goals in any pro league is a good indication of scoring touch. It did kill me last year that everyone else in the org was tried on LW with hemsky, but the only player to score 30 in our organization didn't get the chance. not saying he's a 1st line player, but he obviously has a skill we lack and should be the first memeber of the Falcon's to be re-signed. hell, we signed both Pouliot and Jacques to one way deals, and while I doubt he starts the year in edmonton (although i would be happy if he was given a real chance), potulny better get a deal.

8. Steve says:

Thread hijack: according to "Journal Sports Staff", nobody will trade for Heatley before July 1. Assuming Matheson participated in that article, which seems a fair assumption, that suggests that talk of Katz being willing to eat the four million was off base.

9. speeds says:

I don't know if there's a big market because GM's don't seem to like change in this respect (why else wouldn't they do things like this?), but I don't really see why there shouldn't be. We haven't really see teams try offer sheets on players at the no compensation level on tweener guys like Potulny, but I think we will start to see it at some point. Who knows when though?

speeds: Yeah, it's an interesting option. Kind of hockey's Rule V draft.

11. Deano says:

From the definitive pop music encyclopedia site – allmusic.com

Formed in 1973, the British hard rock outfit Bad Company was a supergroup comprised of ex-King Crimson bassist Boz Burrell, former Mott the Hoople guitarist Mick Ralphs, and singer Paul Rodgers and drummer Simon Kirke, both previous members of Free.

I think Potulny is in the wrong place and the wrong time.

He doesn't have the notoriety of Heatley (or any other big name FA). The fanboys will be very unhappy if he is given at-bats

He doesn't have the size of Penner, and Penner is a proven complimentary NHL player.

He doesn't have the speed of Cogliano, and Cogs has two +15 goal NHL seasons.

Ditto for O'Sullivan. And O'Sullivan can kill penalties.

Nilsson might work hard and show desire in training camp.

Reddox has more versatility for the 4th line or extra forward role.

He doesn' have the size of Jacques.

And Eberle and Omark are in the pipeline.

One has to figure his agent is going to go looking for a one-way deal somewhere.

13. Ribs says:

I don't see it.

I think if anything he'll become a useful player after he gains a lot of experience. He can skate and he can shoot, but that only takes you so far.

14. Coach pb9617 says:

Kid looked good with Gagner and Cole last season. He's going to get a deal that will be affordable. If your team is going to spend to the cap, you need some players that are at the minimum to be successful. He can play, and he can certainly play for 700k.

15. Colby Cosh says:

Clumsiest Lowetide segue EVER!

16. Hawerchuk says:

"Bad Company, 'til the day I die"

Cosh: Just you never mind. You should be updating your damn blog is what you should be doing.

18. jon k says:

Apparently KP was saying that Potulny will get a good look at camp IF he worked on his skating in the offseason. Basically his assessment of his callup last year was that they liked some of the things they saw, but his acceleration (or lack thereof) was an issue.

And I think that's an accurate assessment of where he stands now. I remember distinctly that Potulny was getting nailed along the boards pretty consistently because he couldn't get out of the way of NHL energy players.

Results-wise he seemed okay once the play was established in offensive zone, but his skating didn't allow him to keep up with the player defensively or on the transition, especially for a fairly fast team such as the Oilers.

I think he can be an NHLer, but it might not be with the Oilers. Then again, Brandon Bochenski couldn't make it and he's a pretty similar player.

19. hunter1909 says:

With a gun were placed against my head demanding an answer or else the return of the recently sacked coach, my vote would have to go to Ian Gillan, back when Deep Purple were shiny and new.

Strange how people are prepared to waste good money to see elderly incarnations of The Who, Led Zeppelin and all those other bands from days long past, while old timer hockey games barely draw by comparison. It's the same basic setup – go and see ghosts of long ago faded glory.

This seems strange, considering the fact that aging rockers aren't any better than retired NHL stars.

One player who has to go is Pouliot. He's an idiot. He can't even seem to keep his head up, and so gets constantly nailed against the boards, or in open ice. Seriously, this guy is simply marking time before his brains are permanently scrambled.

Hunter: I'd disagree on Pouliot. He's certainly had his share of injuries and doesn't possess a rocket shot or anything, but by eye and number he's someone who looks like he can help.

I think he had one injury this season (concussion) and missed maybe three or four games (the rest were HS).

Smid's the guy I worry about, he's always getting caught in the trolley tracks.

21. knighttown says:

I'll always thought The Who had some terrible lyrics. Daltry can wail and no one hits the chords like Pete Townsend but Lennon/McCartney or Glimmer Twins they are not.\\

"Ever since I was a young boy, I played the silver ball. From Soho down to Brighton I must have played them all. But I ain't seen nothing like him in any amusement hall, that deaf, dumb and blind kid, sure played a mean pin-ball."

If that song wasn't so lyrically awful it would be there with Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash and Black Dog at the top of the list for "1st listen classics". The riffs are outstanding.

22. hunter1909 says:

Pouliot is the first prospect I ever bothered to follow since he was drafted. He put up good numbers in the Q, the first year without Crosby, and seemed like a good prospect for success, but then didn't he get mono? I don't exactly remember, but Pouliot seems to have gotten totally derailed from his original first round pick potential. Like, believe it or not, Pouliot was considered to be superior to Getzlaf.

knighttown: Having seen the area in London where the Who originate from, it's surprising any of them even learned how to read, let alone form a great rock band.

23. knighttown says:

Oh, and if we're looking at Potulny, why not sign Alexandre Giroux.

Goals:
    60 in 69 GP vs. 38 in 70

Size:
    6'3" 205 vs. 6"0" 190

Age:
    28 vs. 25

Points:
    97 (1st) vs. 62

+/-:
    +23 vs. -11

Giroux also pulled a Malkin/Ovechkin AHL hybrid by leading both the regular season and playoffs in goal scoring and points, winning a championship, the regular season MVP and should have been the playoff MVP except the goalie always* wins it (7 of 8 years).

24. quain says:

Giroux might be better than Potulny, but you need to look at the team difference.

Potulny scored 38 goals on a team that scored 181, 21%. Also had points on 34% of the team's goals.

Giroux scored 60 goals on a team that scored 289, so 21%. Points on 33.5% of the team's goals.

Giroux probably has a slightly better touch, but I'd like to see what Potulny could do on a team that wasn't just horrendous.

An NHL team should give Giroux a chance. Seriously. Does he have a leg missing?

26. Bruce says:

my vote would have to go to Ian Gillan.

Hunter: Ha! I was going to toss his name out there this morning, got sidetracked and never came back to it. I was only a middlin' Purple fan ("In Rock" era), but Gillan caught my ear with his transcendent performance in Jesus Christ Superstar. His rendering of "Gethsemane" sends a chill down my spine to this day.

27. knighttown says:

I remember him (Giroux) when he played for Hull. He put up some good point totals but also was a nasty SOB never totalling less than 110 PIM in three Q seasons. He should have played at least a season with our own number 83 but I can't seem to put that together in my mind. I was a Moncton Wildcat season ticket holder and they played on the other side so I didn't see them that much but his is certainly a name I recall.

Some wonky things were happening in the Q around the turn of the century as far as point totals. EVERYONE scored a point per game and Simon Gamache took a run at some of Mario's records before fizzling out in the Nashville organization. That's when I first realized someone could score 200 in Major Junior and never play in the big leagues if they were 5'6" like Gamache. But Giroux's a freaking Coke Machine.

Based on some of the wild stats in my previous post he's a guy I'd invest in. I'd assume a 1-way, league minimum contract would do it at his age.

28. PDO says:

There's a guy in the AHL with size, who likes the physical side of the game and potted nearly a goal a game?

That's utterly insane.

29. Gerta Rauss says:

Potulny looked OK by my eye for the handful of games he played in the bigs last year.

I think the pendelum has swung back from the smurfs/skilled players to the bigger players(he's not huge,but he's no smurf either)

The more physical players will get a second look at TC.

More Street Fighting Man than Little T&A.

30. speeds says:

Giroux is a UFA this summer, coming off that monster season, so if there ever was a time for him to get a one way contract you'd imagine this summer would be it.

31. Bohologo says:

In all my years of reading LT, the following rules have been extremely useful:
    1) LT is right about these things.
    2) When in doubt, see #1.

However, the recent characterization of Paul Rodgers seriously undermines the credibility of these rules.

LT, I see your Paul Rodgers, and I raise you. In fact, I go all in with Marvin Gaye and send you home wearing a barrel. I submit Paul Rodgers could not even carry Prince's purple jockstrap.

Potulny-never heard him sing.

Bohologo: Oh wait, now. I said "rock" singer, which means Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Ray Charles, Gladys Knight, Prince, Merry Clayton, Mavis Staples, Thelma Houston and countless others aren't in the conversation.

33. PDO says:

I believe this is what you call #2 ;).

34. Bohologo says:

LT-fair enough-you did say "rock". Which is why I didn't give you a hard time for overlooking Ray Charles and Johnny Cash. Call it R&B, call it soul, this sure sounds like a rock song to me:
    (the video is a disgrace, keep your eyes closed)

I love Marvin Gaye's music. The only bad thing he ever did was the album he agreed to do with his ex-wife getting all the proceeds (I think it was Here, My Dear).

Here's one:

36. Asiaoil says:

Sure Potulny would be fine on a one-way for the 4th line / PB / emergency 2nd line. I'm not worried about the 4th line at as we have a bunch of cheap guys to plug in – Potulny, JFJ, Stortini, Brodziak, MAP, Mac, Stone.

I'm worried about the 3rd line which does not have a center and the wingers (Moreau and Pisani) are way over-paid. We need to jettison Moreau, move Pisani up to the 2nd line, and totally rebuild the 3rd with solid vets on value deals. The cap demands this so get going Tambo.

37. Gord says:

Is there something wrong with Giroux's skating?

Just spent an hour Google searching every article about him – seems to follow the Glencross timeline (on a slower pace but with much higher scoring talent).

If nothing wrong with his skating, I'd sign Giroux to a $0.6 million two year (one way) contract without a second thought.

38. Deano says:

I am with Coach on the Freddie Mercury bandwagon for rock singers, but for pure singing talent:

Sam Cooke

39. Alice says:

Late to the party here, but what the hell. My HOF criteria on rock vocalists are simple and as follows:
    1. Must, MUST have unique, instantly recognizable 'timbre' – can't just be sound-alike singer with great chops. You Know as soon as you hear it guys, Rod, Mick, Janis

2. Must be equally overachieving in ballad and full-on mode. Here the list loses many quality suspects – Plant, Tyler, Daltrey

3. You can't disqualify him just because he's Canadian.

Which brings me to the call I make every time on this: Our own Burton Cummings on top of the heap, with a nod to Presley too. Sorry LT, we're gonna get flamed good here!

Alice: I wouldn't say he was the best rock singer ever, but Burton Cummings is one of the all-time best. "No Time" and "Sour Suite" remain two of my favorite songs to this day.

Quick story: After Chad Allan left the Guess Who the band was in Winnipeg auditioning singers. They were already a popular band (this would be maybe 1967) across Canada and had an international hit "Shakin' All Over" by this time.

Anyway, they're bringing in singers and it's not going well. No spark at all. Someone says something like "you know, maybe Winnipeg isn't a big enough city to produce another really good singer."

In walks Burton Cummings. Jaws drop.

The rest is history. :-)

41. Alice says:

Good story,

And I don't count myself a huge fan or anything. He doesn't immediately spring to mind – even with hometown familiarity the body of material puts him in the B tiers, and you're thinking A-list guys.

But consider the desert island scenario, you're a producer and somebody is going to bring you a folder with a dozen songs that hit the pop charts in the rock era, say '55 onwards. Let's say 'Angie' is in there, 'Baba O'Riley' too. Can Daltrey sing Angie? Not really. Can you hear Mick belting out "Teenage Wasteland"? No. But our man could do both, or either, better than passably well. Spread the net further, Tony Bennett, Axl Rose. I'll not ask you to imagine one singing the other(!) but think about this: Burton could cover both of them, and give nothing away to the originals. That's when the coin drops for me – name two guys you'd put over him for the test case? That's hard.

Even hearing the 70's stuff when it comes on the radio – if you focus on the vocals, they're top drawer. And much as I like him in the baritone, when he opens up the other two barrels it's just magic, make your hair stand on end.

42. Dennis says:

In terms of lyrics not matching music, I love Thin Lizzy but it's one of the few tunes where I listen to music first and lyrics second.

That being said, the lyrics aren't great but everytime I hear "Dedication", I feel like screwing and drinking and fighting and that's pretty much what I consider to be rock n roll.

If you hear a song and it doesn't make you feel like doing any of the above, it's not working.