Draft Day 2009

I’m an Oiler fan and that won’t change today, but it’s also true that some other NHL teams go about their business in a way that makes me appreciate them.

Boston is in the middle of a wonderful procurement run that goes back to signing Chara, and that added with some tremendous drafting has that franchise on the cusp of being a top 4 team in the fight for the Stanley.

Today we get word that the Bruins have offered young Phil Kessel to Toronto for Tomas Kaberle and the 7th overall pick. I don’t know if it’ll happen, but have to admit that’s a very creative idea and credit to the Bruins management team for coming up with it.

It’s aggressive, measured and could succeed. After many years of seeing articles about the Oilers trying to move up, or making that big trade to balance the roster, things like this Boston offer really stand out as innovative and inspired.

Credit too for Brian Burke, who has done everything possible to put his team front and center at this draft. It helps that he’s in Toronto now, but it’s also true that he’s been browbeating other GMs (confirmed yesterday by Atlanta GM Don Waddell) and has irons in the fire.

The Oilers? According to Kevin Lowe yesterday we’re gonna push for something but won’t give up too much. Close to the vest, wait to see what shakes loose. I understand the Heatley trade only gets done if Cogliano is a part of it and completely agree he’s a guy to keep, but it does seem to me that the Oilers through the Lowe era lacked a certain spark on draft day.

Always trying to move up but never getting it done, always coming home out of balance and on it went. Let’s hope for a new day, an aggressive yet measured approach, inspiring ideas that alter the roster and give it shape and clarity.

Starting today.

196 Responses to "Draft Day 2009"

1. Psyche says:

LT i Have to agree with your sentiment on the Bruins. They are one of a healthy handful of teams who get the job done more often than not when it comes to personnel moves. I am optimistic that today the Oilers will take a first step to becoming one of those teams. Opportunity is at hand – it's time to seize it!

2. gogliano says:

So does only Toronto get to draft today, or the do the other teams have to go to see who is available for Burke and Toronto?

3. Oilman says:

To borrow a line…..imagine if they hadn't traded Joe Thornton for "magic beans"

4. Art Vandelay says:

Baaah. Joe Thornton. Zero Stanley Cups and it will ever be thus.

I'll take Marco Sturm and the cap room, thanks.

5. MattM says:

Oilman – Yeah. It's interesting to look at where the Oilers and Bruins have gone since dealing away marquee players for nothing. I think you can even argue that Boston would have been much better off with a Pronger-style return than what they got (what would that have been? Vlasic, Bernier, and picks?)

The biggest thing there is that when they traded Thornton they turned his cap space into Chara. The Oilers turned their Pronger cap space into raises for good soldiers and 3 years of unbalanced and aimless rosters.

6. DBO says:

interesting deal with Boston. So in that vein of thinking, could the oil go out and make a few splashes and totally change their team?

- Kaberle and the 7th for Hemsky
    - O'Sullivan and Gilbert, Eberle and the 10th for Armstrong, Lehtonen and the 4th
    - Souray for Clowe and Murray
    - Vish and the 7th for Heatley
    - Sign Bowmeester

Dollars are essentially negative. the 4th pick (Evander Kane) and a revamped top 6

Heatley-Horcoff-Armstrong
    Penner-Gagner-Clowe
    Moreau-Cogs-pisani
    Jacques-brod-Stortini

Bowmeester-Kaberle
    Grebeshkov-Murray
    Smid-Staios

not gonna happen. crazy ideas, but it's draft day and i already want a beer. when did this day become such a big deal?

7. Anonymous says:

Hi gang, long time reader, first time poster. Someday maybe I'll sign up.

Excerpt from Rod Pedersen's blog (Regina Pats play by play) Great Pats and Riders blog by the way.

….There were several current and ex-Pats in attendance including Jordan Eberle. So too was Josh Harding, and the Minnesota Wild goalie expects a trade in the near future. Perhaps even this weekend during the NHL Draft festivities in Montreal. The two front-runners for his services? The Edmonton Oilers and Colorado Avalanche.

DR

8. DBO says:

I would be happy with harding. even if we signed Rollie to a 1 year deal and let Harding play 30-40 games. Nilsson and a prospect or pick for Harding.

my trade ideas above are for are fun. Realistically i hope the Oil get an upgrade at Goalie and top 6 forward. We need to move some salary today, so i hope that happens and gives us some flexibility going into july 1st.

9. Mr DeBakey says:

I'm assuming Boston's 25th pick would be coming back to
    The Make Beleafs?

Boston would still have to move at least one body
    with Wideman replacing Kessell on the list of availables.

10. DBO says:

Gregor at the draft over at ON, on his comments section and on Team 1260 mentioned the habs have interest in Horcoff if they can't get Lecavalier and that in response we have interest in Spezza. WTF? I'm golfing today and for the first time I'm bringing the phone on the course.

11. MattM says:

Mr. D –
    You think? I mean, I get that they still need to move a bit of salary, but I would have guessed that dumping Sturm would have been the play here. 3.5 cap hit for 2 more years. Assuming you can move him, anyway.

I understand it's fashionable to rip Horcoff as useless, but he's a very valuable player. Those who suggest otherwise (imo) have joined the crowd as opposed to thinking for themselves.

13. DBO says:

LT: i agree on Horcoff. if he was being paid $4.5 mill, there would be no talk of moving his contract. I was just suprised to hear that the Oil would move him. He's a perfect complement to gagner. he takes pressure off Gagner, allows him to play soft minutes and plays in all situations. If we moved horcoff you better get a #1 and #3 centre, since Horc essentially plays both roles.

14. Traktor says:

If Montreal is going to give us a get out of jail free card then we have to take it.

Halak + Maxim Lapierre would be a dream.

15. Sean says:

If I'm Boston, I make that trade yesterday.

I'm glad the Oilers have decided to keep their cards close to their chest. Hearing of possible trades that dont happen cause the player didnt want to play here has gotten old. I'm hoping for nothing major, a couple tweaks to address need and drafting Glennie. After that we're due to be pleasantly surprised.

16. Anonymous says:

LT: Off the top of my head, Burke is a lawyer (Harvard Law School) and former player agent. Peter Chiarelli and Mike Gillis are as well. I do not believe Scott Howson was ever an agent, alto' we all know he is a lawyer. Their common traits- intelligence, negotiating skill, tenacity, ability to deal with complex situations which are in a state of flux. Altho' a good "hockey man" I don't think KLowe has these skills in any abundance. Time will tell with Tambellini. Now most people know DKatz is a lawyer, but he's not the GM. Should he not at least consider having someone like, dare I say it, Rich Winter, on staff during this crucial "hockey business" time of the year?

17. Mr DeBakey says:

Mr. D –

According to my friends,
    Mr Spreadsheet & Ms Cap Central:
    with Kaberle, the Bruins are at $55.5mm and 18 players,
    w/o Sturm $52mm and 17 contracts

18. Oilman says:

MattM – I remember reports that the Oilers offer the same money to Chara that the Bruins did. In fairness, they tried to replace Pronger with the next best thing but ended up overpaying even the "loyal" soldiers. it's the reason I'm not averse to trading for Heatley – 5 years of Heatley for the contract he signed in Ottawa is likely a lot less than 5 years of Heatley (or Heatley type) and the contract they would have accepted to play for Edmonton….same as Visnovsky. The Oilers need to take advantage of loopholes and NTC timelines and trade requests or they'll keep overpaying for marginal players.

19. Anonymous says:

Cap expected to stay around 57M for next year. 2010/2011 is the big question though.

Question for you CBA geeks: What is the maximum allowable cap reduction for one year?

DR

20. Oilman says:

Any wonder Bob Gainey with the way he played would have interest in a player like Horcoff? Is there anyone more familiar with the concept of a defensively sound top line player?

21. Mr DeBakey says:

According to Pecklund:
    "Welcome to Montreal…
    Quick Update from the Cab…I just confirmed the offer was Kessel for Kaberle, STRAIGHT UP..Burke will get more. I imagine he will just wait for the folks who lose out on Jay Bo first. There are now 7 teams in on Jay Bo."

22. Traktor says:

"Any wonder Bob Gainey with the way he played would have interest in a player like Horcoff?"

They just employed two of the most defensive minded coaches in the world right now. Horc makes perfect sense if the Habs are going to try to win hockey games 2-1.

23. Alice says:

There's going to be Lots to talk about today, let's see if we can avoid the Horcoff 'Neverendum Referendum'. Been there, done that.

If M P-S falls thru do we grab him? Glennie or Ellis.. well we added an F last yr, Vis will retire someday and can teach buddy a lot. Ellis for me, but it's a nice bunch in there, incl Schroeder.

And you Anon ladies – it's all pretty Anon anyhow, so make up a handle so we can tell you apart from the other Anons when following the thread.

24. Oilmaniac says:

Horcoff 'Neverendum Referendum'

nice…!

25. knighttown says:

@ Alice

It'd be my dream scenario to get MPS. The guys is big, plays LW and is skating is right there with Kreider and Moore as the best in the draft.

IF the hands develop he's the numner 3 draft pick for sure.

26. mc79hockey says:

LT – have you given any thought to throwing a CoverItLive thing tonight? It's a fantastic tool, sort of a live blogging thing that runs in real time, no need for refresing or anything. I'm not sure if you run with a laptop in front of the TV watching this stuff or what but it'd be cool if there was somewhere with that running and I imagine that this will be the place where the action is.

27. hunter1909 says:

Sorry Lowetide, but Kevin Lowe needs to have his tongue cut out. He shoots it off like a jackass, and as a poker player who's come out on the losing end exactly three times in my life, I can state without equivocation you keep your mouth shut when others hold cards and you want their money.

Telling people ANYTHING about your intentions is a mugs game. And as anyone knows(starting with Katz), Lowe is a mug.

You shut your mouth, and do the business. You know, like Kevin Lowe himself, when he got Pronger.

Sorry folks, just suffering from Michael jackson immediate death syndrome. I'll be fine just as soon as the meds kick in.

28. Oilman says:

Souray being shopped for the 5th pick as per Gregor?

29. bookie says:

I am pretty sure that the Oil will draft at #10 today.

The Oil may look to add a Heatley or Jagr or someone to the lineup this year. I suspect that at the very least we will add one significant forward at the cost of one significant D-man.

I don't think we will see major changes beyond that (perhaps in goal). Too many of the Oilers assets were totally mismanaged last year and are at their market low. Only those individuals that shone through the fog are really tradable for fair value.

30. DBO says:

was that on team 1260? So that frees up money for Bowmeester? Do we do that and still go for Heatley? So confused and excited.

31. Oilman says:

Yes – per Gregor on 1260 according to Oilers Nation.

Tyler: Nah. I watch it with a beer and my laptop on but scanning info. I'll update any trades and the picks with specific posts as I did last year, becuause they are good reference points.

Live blogging is a good idea though, but I always miss so much that way (used to go into chat rooms at HF).

33. mc79hockey says:

Alright, well I've thrown a post up on my site. I'll open it up at 7 and see what the interest is like. This seems like it might be an entertaining draft.

34. DBO says:

anyone else unable to get on ON? my computer sucks. Like ging back and forth from here and there. almost sad to go golfing. almost.

35. PDO says:

Souray for 5th OV is the rumour?

I've got buddies here at 5… and the next 6.5 hours of shooting dirty looks at the beer fridge until they arrive…

36. budorduke says:

Nah i can't get on the nation either..

37. gogliano says:

Souray+ for the 5th would be a hell of a trade. Souray brings unique things to the table, but the core of this team is young and there is too much money on the back end.

38. shanetrain says:

Man this is really the B Burke show aint it?! And you know he wouldnt want it any other way.

First of all… I would be crushed to see Horcoff move anywhere.

IF the Oil have any shot in hell at Bouwmeester, I hope they throw the farm at Florida. Well, not really the farm because that wont even get ya Kessell.

IF the Oil aquire Halak or Harding or to a lesser extent Anderson. Then grab Bouwmeester and have a nice draft personally I would be excited for the new year.

I am worried nothing significant is going to happen, and I have to watch Chunky Soup, (Penner), and the boys fritter away another year. With Rollie at 3.5m to boot because we didnt address the net situation.

39. nameht says:

JASONGREGOR
    Rumblings of souray and 10th to LA for 5th and something else. More at http://www.oilersnation.com! Oilers deny though! 4553S ago

40. Oilmaniac says:

agreed shanetrain.. ive been a horcoff (contract) basher for a while, but having him shipped out to montreal would not be good news…

Roli for 3.5 because of negligence would also be dissapointing (dunno, goal has been underlined in my books since mid-season.. and will be a serious indicator of where this team is going imo).. roli for a year buys time, but as we all know its no solution for the future..

41. DBO says:

So if it is Souray adn the 10th for Frolov and the 5th I am a happy camper. Especially since it would men we don't deal for heatley. it also allows us to consider bowmeester if we can move another piece. You make that move and then move gilbert and O'Sullivan for Armstrong and lehtonen and a pick and I would be happy with the day for the oil.

42. PDO says:

I suggested Frolov & the 5th for Souray & the 10th weeks ago…

…clearly Tambs is reading my shit ;)

43. Anonymous says:

dantencer

44. Downright Fierce says:

If the Souray rumblings are legit, who's the pick?

I think we's all agree that it's Kane if he drops to 5. Otherwise, another centre in Schenn? Or do we flip a coin between Ekman-Larsson and Cowen?

Could we flip the 5 with parts for Heater? I could really see the pick replacing Cogliano in any kind of deal for Dany-boy.

45. Oilmaniac says:

why would they trade frolov for souray?.. id be giddy (except he isnt a left winger (although the oil dont play by those rules)) but cant see that being legit… plus the picks switch.. no way… although id be giddy if it were true…

46. Ben says:

MacGregor said Cowen was a top 5 and was up there with the elite group of 3 in that interview with Gregor. If he wasn't blowing smoke, I'd imagine he'd be a decent bet to be the pick if Atl takes Kane.

47. spOILer says:

If we were to snag #5 somehow (and I do doubt Souray is on the block), I'd be calling the Human Fire Hose to see what he would pay for us NOT to take Schenn.

And then open up that TSN mike, hehe.

//Word out of the Oilers camp is that Souray isn't in play…and, to clarify, he has never asked for a trade.//

Souray didn't request a trade. He just mentioned to Lowe and Tambellini that his kids are in California, and if they want to trade him to California, that he'll waive his no movement clause.

49. spOILer says:

Who is making trades for the Coyotes today? Bettman?

50. Alice says:

spoiler has it,
    If we get to 5 we trade down to 7, get some assets out of Burkie for Schenn, and still pick up a way good draft. That's good and good.

51. Alice says:

By 'some assets' I mean Five, of course.

52. Bruce says:

Nice sequence Burke had to dominate the first two minutes of SportsCentre last night, when he first said Garth Snow told him who he was planning to take, and when pressed for a name he "speculated" it would be a forward and then he said it would be Matt Duchene. But he had already made clear Snow told him who it would be.

Now if I'm Snow and any of this is true, I am pissed at Burke for stealing the limelight. Now if it isn't true, Burke looks like a jerk but that's nothing new, and he got his air time. Come to think of it, Burke looks like a jerk whether it's true or not.

It's like having the extended family over for Christmas Eve and that old blowhard Uncle Brian casually lets slip to Junior that he heard there was a Play Station under the tree.

He has no right.

53. spOILer says:

Apparently the Globe & Mail is reporting a $100,000 increase in the cap for next year. NHLPA had to invoke the 5% inflator rule to keep the cap essentially the same.

$56.8M is our working figure, armchair GMs.

54. Bar Qu says:

@Bruce

Its funny how league rules don't seem to apply to ol' Brian, eh? Slam a fellow GM for 12 months, its ok, but clamp down when there's a response; talk about other teams players and prospects, 'salright, but tampering for anyone else.

Yeah, I get it, he loves the camera and makes a great sound bite, but can't the rules apply all ways?

55. spOILer says:

Gare Joyce has a good article on Sportsnet today:

56. hunter1909 says:

Like I've stated earlier, the sign of a great team is it's ability to keep stum vis a vis it's intentions.

I'm not even a businessman, and I know this tenet of doing real business: you just keep your big fat trap shut, until the deal is done.

I hate Kevin Lowe.

57. hunter1909 says:

I used to really like Kevin Lowe as GM, btw.

Lowetide: Say man, just who is that dude with the brushcut on your blog? Looks too small for the NHl, but maybe the Oilers just might be able to draft him in the 7th round, you know, for insurance.

58. Anonymous says:

#27's already drafted.

59. Anonymous says:

Stand corrected. #27 is in fact undrafted. ;)

60. ian says:

"Loose lips sink ships"
    How many Oilers staff are at the draft?
    How many of them are likely to be privy to the dealings of Tambo?
    I know some of them are conducting interviews with potential draft selections but who else has too much time on their hands

61. Anonymous says:

Live TSN feed supposed to be here to go with mc79's live blog for those of us w/o laptops.

62. Doogie2K says:

From the TSN live blog:

Gord Miller suggests the Atlanta Thrashers have made it known that their first pick (4th overall) is available. Ryan Rishaug notes that the Oilers are among the teams interested in the Thrashers pick.

In other news, water is wet. Still, I wouldn't say no to Evander Kane.

63. Oilmaniac says:

HAHA!!.. that was 'almost' outloud.. man, isnt time to go home…

64. Marc says:

Eric Duhatschek just made a comment on the Globe and Mail's live blog that one thing that he knows Atlanta is definitely looking for is an experienced defenceman with only a year left on his contract, and that Edmonton have someone who fits that profile.

So it might not be Gilbert that they're asking about, but Staios…

Staios has two years left on his contract.

66. PDO says:

If the Oilers turn Staios and the 10th into the 4th I'll make a statue of Tambs….

67. spOILer says:

Gregor at ON live blog also said he had been texted that the package was not Cogs/Gibs/10th.

Also (from TSN):
    In the latest video update from Montreal, Bob McKenzie says he would be shocked if Tomas Kaberle was not a Boston Bruin by the end of the night.

68. PDO says:

Gregor saying Edmonton/Atlanta are talking trade, and it could be a lot more than a Warm Body + 10th for 4th.

Said it's NOT Gilbert.

69. Marc says:

Duhatschek point was that Atlanta want to build around Bogosian and Hainsey so they don't want another DMan on a long, expensive contract. Staios fits the bill. Gilbert, Souray and Vish don't.

70. spOILer says:

For those with access to radio via web or the electromagnetic spectrum… apparently Tencer has Tambellini at 4pm. Wanna bet he says nowt? "Well, you know Dan, we've got a lot of irons in the fire, and we'd like to move up, y'know, but only if it makes sense for our team…"

And you gotta know Tencer will have some incisive follow-up questions.

71. PDO says:

spOiler… I'm sticking to the Team, but I highly doubt it's a live interview.

72. spOILer says:

Ehh… I was only throwing it out there because I can't access CHED either by Gore or EMS.

But I doubt I will be missing much, other than more preamble.

73. PunjabiOil says:

My buddy, Tricolore from HF (moderator) told me he has an inside source, that Gilbert has been traded to Dallas for James Neal.

Who knows if this is true.

74. PDO says:

James Neal would be a coupe, but that seems like a hell of a price…

Not a steep price if we're getting JayBo for nothing.

76. Oilmaniac says:

I had no idea who James Neal is.. big, young, apt goal scorer, left winger.. kinda what this team needs.. (another penner, or does he show more? i know nothing of the kid)…

77. spOILer says:

Neal was voted best body-checker in the WC of the OHL one of his junior years. Plenty of PIMs too. Lots of grit. 9 of his 24 goals last year came on the PP unit though.

78. kris says:

PDO:

Neal would be a 'coup'

Penner is a coupe. Or maybe an SUV.

79. PDO says:

Kris:

I knew there was a reason I hated French in grade school.

80. kris says:

I hear you PDO. Coup is a weird word. And we all mispelll words. I just thought it was funny to call Penner a coupe because no trades are happening and I'm bored. Poor Penner.

81. PDO says:

Bryan Murray on Dany Heatley getting traded:

"It's dead."

- Darren Dreger.

Wow. I hope Kevin Lowe is taking notes…

82. doritogrande says:

Pronger to the Flyers?

Holy shit. They just re-defined Broad Street Bullies.

83. PDO says:

Apparently Lupul going the other way.

Ha.

84. Matt N says:

CFP going to Philly? That would be a nasty, hateful team.

85. Matt N says:

I love the booing of Bettman

86. doritogrande says:

I think I can speak better French than Bettman. With my 8th grade "education".

87. Gerta Rauss says:

not many details on the Pronger trade yet,but it appears to be legit

88. doritogrande says:

Christ. Bettman's fellating Montreal the way McGuire does Crosby.

End this already.

89. doritogrande says:

NYI's drinking tonight!

Tavares.

90. Baroque says:

Penner is a big, slow minivan. :)

Is Philadelphia TRYING to have everyone hate them? Now they need to get Jordin Tootoo to make it even more obvious.

91. doritogrande says:

Pronger for:

Joffrey Lupul
    Luca Sbisa
    First round this year and first round next year.

For a season of Pronger. Makes me feel better about our Pronger trade actually.

92. doritogrande says:

Hedman to Tbay. No surprise there.

93. doritogrande says:

Couple more pieces into the Chris Pronger trade.

Some prospect going to Philly with Pronger with a conditional 3rd round in 2010 or 2011 to Anaheim.

94. Psyche says:

I can't believe Duthie (TSN) asking questions that do nothing but shine a negative light on Hedman's moment. With Hedman and Lawton interview he asked about (1) going to a [bottom] team, (2) the ownership controversy, and (3) if Lawton would have picked Hedman if he had the #1 pick. C'mon, Hedman is sitting right there. Ask some positive questions to celebrate the moment. Between that and his love for Burke I can't believe this guy is a "professional."

95. doritogrande says:

Enough of the non-bilingualites trying to speak French.

Duschene to Colorado.

Atlanta is up next, could be a deal here.

97. doritogrande says:

Great clip of Duchene there. That's real determination.

He's gotta be the happiest of the first three to go. This kid makes me want to be an Avalanche fan.

98. doritogrande says:

If that's Kane's girlfriend (the white chick), DAMN!

99. uni says:

dorito: I was thinking the same thing, "Must be a sister, another sister, hello…who is this?"

Also pretty much according to schedule right now. Hoping it gets more interesting.

Pronger traded for a Lupul package again. I wonder why they'd shed Pronger's 6.25 million cap hit only to take back a 4 million hit from Lupul and prospects. One would have thought they could pull Gagne or Carter, oh well. They must really like Lupul still.

100. doritogrande says:

Clearly a front-runner for the ever popular "hottest girlfriend/mom" contest of the first round.

101. doritogrande says:

Lovin' the shot of Burke fuming with the LA pick.

Schenn is the 5th overall for the second consecutive year.

102. Bruce says:

Two brothers go in the top 5 in consecutive years? Cool. The Staals weren't in consecutive years? Still cool. But how about this: two brothers going in the top 3 in the same year. How could TSN forget about Danrik and Heniel?

103. Bruce says:

Lovin' the shot of Burke fuming with the LA pick.

Burke's having a tough day. Sounds like he totally fucked up on the proposed Kessel-for-Kaberle deal, which reportedly collapsed after a complete miscommunication involving the Leafs #7 overall pick being part of the offer. I thought this guy was some sort of master communicator?

A master baiter, more like it.

104. doritogrande says:

What? No Gretzky making the pick this year?

Columbus trades 16 and 77 to NYI for 26, 37, 62 and 92. That's a shitload for NYI to give up to move 10 spots. They had better hit a second homerun.

Any speculations on who they take?

Maybe Schroeder?

105. doritogrande says:

I'm not so sold on Eckman-Larsson. He rose so high in a single year that I'm slightly scared off.

I think Jared Cowan would have been the better pick there.

106. uni says:

I think Gretzky did make the pick, just not the famous one =).

I don't know, OEL's stock rose for a reason, and if he can take a curve upward that quickly who knows what his potential is?

As for Cowen, I'd be very happy with him going to Edmonton. If some of the scouts are right and he was looking to be in the top 4 before injury yowsa. Shutdown D in the making with hopefully 20-30 point chip in with his wheels and if he can get his offensive game developed more.

Love seeing Pronger go for Lupal, A good eastern european defensive prospect (a number one I think), and 2 future picks with an extra conditional.

So, if that's for 1 year of Pronger, what should you have got for 4 years of Pronger?

4 times more?

Hehe..

108. uni says:

Kulikov would be another guy I'd be happy with, looks to be a complete D man who's mature enough already to move into a NHL lineup in 1-2 seasons and help.

109. doritogrande says:

They fucking picked Kadri!

Paajarvi's still on the board!

110. boopronger says:

so much booing Burke cant even talk! hahahaha

111. doritogrande says:

I'll take any of the next three on my board:

Paajarvi-Svensson
    Cowen
    Kulikov

If we veer from that path, I'll be upset.

112. doritogrande says:

Great exchange between Burke and Murray. That was hilarous.

Oh… Well we want him, so we're going to take him. Bye.

113. honkey says:

I'd say Ekman-Larsson is really close to Hedman right now. He reads the game on the highest level and everything he do looks so easy.

114. Psyche says:

More frustrating questions from Duthie. I wish Burke would pop him one. Duthie needs to learn to focus on the fact that these teenagers just achieved a lifetime goal. Enjoy the moment – don't talk about could have or should have happened.

115. uni says:

Did not see them taking Kadri, wow.

Also OEL played in Tier 2 for Swedish leagues, did okay but did not dominate.

Hedman played more minutes in the top league and with better effect. I'd say they both have all world talent and potential for dominating the NHL, but Hedman is clear quite a bit better right now and has higher potential defensively and offensively, and has the size of course.

116. doritogrande says:

WOW! Glennie to Dallas.

That's off the board, with Paajarvi still available.

Stars taking Glennie changes everything.

118. uni says:

I'm starting to think we can get Cowen or Kulikove now…excited a bit.

119. boopronger says:

geez there could be some really good players at 10 for the oil

120. Bruce says:

Wow, 2 picks to go, the Oilers are going to have a choice of plums.

121. honkey says:

Hedman also played with the highest scoring forwards in SEL and had Timander picking up the defense so he just could concentrate on offense.
    His stats are a bit padded to look good :)

122. Anonymous says:

Damn I hope they take Ellis. That kid's numbers are spectacular, I don't care how big he is.

123. uni says:

We need more picks! If we can score Cowen at 10, then somehow get Kulikov as a slider (like Cherapanov did perhaps) with a trade for a middle pick.

The thought of Cowen and Kulikov at full potential patrolling the blue with Grebs and Gilbert is just too much of a wet dream.

Unless they totally shit the bed, the Oilers have a chance to draft a player who may place 5th or higher in all time NHL points from this draft.

Wonder if Lowe will try his rusty French out?

Hope not.

He shouldn't even speak really, but the French angle might give him an excuse.

Unless they get Cowen, who may end up as good as Jbo…

126. Ribs says:

Teams have to want to move up now. Time to trade down for Moore.

127. Bruce says:

Kulikov, Cowen, Ellis, Moore … we're going to have our pick of stud D no matter who Ottawa takes.

128. uni says:

DAMN IT! Damn it all to hell! So close! Nooooooo!

Cowen out.

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

130. Bruce says:

Kulikov?

131. doritogrande says:

Cowen to Ottawa means Paajarvi's still on the board for Edmonton!

Please, please, Please!

132. uni says:

Torn between Kulikov and Pääjärvi what's his name.

I really really like Kulikov and thought he'd be the likely 10th to the Oil. Glennie changed that. That Swede is awfully tempting.

133. doritogrande says:

Here it comes.

Take Paajarvi!

134. uni says:

Please pick Pääjärvi then trade somehow for another pick for Kulikov…that'll make me grin like the cat from Alice for the rest of the offseason.

135. doritogrande says:

136. Aram says:

woo!

137. Gerta Rauss says:

nice

138. doritogrande says:

There's our LW for Hemsky!

Holy shit am I happy right now. I don't give a shit that my sister's yelling at me from upstairs. I think I woke her.

139. Bruce says:

I think that makes Rod's retirement a done deal. :D

140. uni says:

WOW. Did not see that coming at all! Wonder if he's as fast as Cogliano, those 2 can give team nightmares 4 on 4 for years to come =).

LW for Hemsky in 2 seasons?

Oh boy.

5-7 years of seeing him take Gagner's passes on the fly?

Very pleased.

142. Ribs says:

Sweet, another guy that will take forever befor actually coming over. Dammit…

143. Chris says:

I think when they noted he's half Finnish that sealed the deal for the Oilers.

144. Smytty777 says:

I'm very happy about this pick.

145. Alice says:

What's Swedish for 'New Ice plant, Daryl'

146. uni says:

Wonder what it would take for a middle pick from a team…some GM is going to get very lucky and have Kulikov fall into his lap.

As for right now I'm happy with Pääjärvi as well, website notwithstanding =). Cowen I never dreamed we'd get anyway. I had settled on Kulikov though so right now I'm going to try to stop shaking.

Am I wrong to feel pleasure that Burke has taken the least touted player so far, and we are down to the 11th?

148. Alice says:

Perhaps this also makes Bou more likely target than Heatley this summer. I'd be happy if that's the case.

149. Aaron says:

Ellis is the Phillip Seymour Hoffman of hockey.

150. doritogrande says:

Here comes a trade. NYI involved.

Maybe there goes Kulikov?

Oh man, Kulikov to Tavares? That's be a team to watch.

Ellis produced points in the OHL that even Bobby Orr didn't produce when he dominated the OHL.

He's a small guy who is going to have to learn how not the get hurt, but good for Nashville.

He seems like a smart kid, he'll probably figure it out.

152. uni says:

I'm hoping Kadri turns out like Bobby Ryan. With all the games for Toronto out here I want a team I can stand watching. Schenn and a good Kadri would make that quite easy.

Plus I like their drafting over the last few years, Stralman, Kulemin, Tlusty are all players I like and have followed.

153. doritogrande says:

Minne 12 to NYI for 16 77 and 182.

That's a frigging steal for Kulikov.

Ellis is the Phillip Seymour Hoffman of hockey.

I thought Penner was?

Or are you not talking about physical similarity?

155. doritogrande says:

Ohhhh, I like that pick too!

Calvin DeHaan.

Played with Tavares for a couple years, did he not?

156. uni says:

Wow again. Garth Snow has proven I think that he's not a bad GM. I sure hope he knows what he's doing.

157. uni says:

Also those Dutch girls (I think that was his sister?) are damn easy on the eyes.

158. Chris says:

If you get Magnus on a line with Cogs that would be fun to see. That would make for some up tempo hockey.

159. doritogrande says:

Buffalo's going to get hosed with this pick.

As nice as the kid's story is, he's Ethan Moreau.

160. doritogrande says:

Kassian's sisters immediatley elevated into top-3 on the hot mother/girlfriend/daughter contest.

*Drools*

161. doritogrande says:

And by daughter, I mean sister.

See what women can do to a man's brain? Jeez.

162. doritogrande says:

Kulikov finally goes. Florida got a steal of a pick.

And another candidate for hot girlfriend/sister.

163. uni says:

There's the Bouwmeester replacement. Not the same type of player but he'll anchor them for years to come.

The Oiler's latest Finnish player better cover the bet and turn out better than Kulikov =/.

164. doritogrande says:

First legitimate bad pick of the first round goes to Anaheim.

I don't like it at all.

165. uni says:

I like those Dutch looking sisters though…I need to get out more haha.

166. Yeti says:

Yes, curious pick by the Ducks there.

167. doritogrande says:

Two questionable picks in a row.

Leddy could have been available in the mid-20s, if not the 2nd round.

168. Alice says:

Where the hell is Moore?

169. doritogrande says:

At what point do we start offering up Robert Nilsson to get back into the first round?

That Schroeder hasn't gone yet is unbelievable.

170. doritogrande says:

Off the board again.

This guy's pure offense, and they got the same kind of package last year in Pietrangelo.

I'd love to get another pick in this round.

Schroeder is ridiculous value at this point.

173. uni says:

I was all about getting Kulikov but I doubt the Oilers could pay the price for that high a pick.

Right now Schroeder is a real possibility if Tambellini is aggressive enough…I won't hold my breath though.

174. Alice says:

Mtl & NYR… there's possibilities here

175. uni says:

2nd and two 3rds worth a Schroedinger?

I bet they take the Quebec kid.

177. uni says:

Doan! Doan! Doan!

Um…I mean LeBlanc!

178. doritogrande says:

Leblanc must be over the moon right now.

179. uni says:

I'm spamming here quite a bit, just love this draft.

What I wouldn't give for the Oil to have 3 picks this year instead of '07.

180. Alice says:

6'2, 2 PPG
    Not a lot wrong w Kreider, hoped he'd slip

uni: spamming? Nah. It's all good.

Schroeder to New Jersey? Fack.

183. doritogrande says:

You know Phoenix was going to take Jersey's pick there. You just know it.

Schroeder doesn't seem like Jersey's type.

I think it's Moore.

Josefson. Hmmm. Two-way center.

185. doritogrande says:

Okay, that's a Jersey pick too.

Defensive acumen is something they never overlook.

But still, Schroeder and Moore? Jesus.

186. Chris says:

Would be nice if we could move up and pick Schroeder here, would be a nice value move.

187. uni says:

Moore and Schroedinger still in play. You have to wonder now what pick the Oilers can move up for the 2nd and a 3rd, plus maybe another pick.

My bet would be the American defenseman here for ANA.

Ah, Columbus. Bet they take Schroeder.

190. uni says:

Howson making some moves, doing what Lowe rarely did, move up in the draft for a player he covets. 26th and 37th picks is a high price though.

Moore?

191. doritogrande says:

So…Columbus trades from 16 to 21, giving up the 77 and picking up 62 and 92?

Not entirely sure it's a good trade now for me.

192. doritogrande says:

Good, good pick for Columbus.

And now Vancouver gets Schroeder. There is no justice.

194. doritogrande says:

I know it's Vancouver…

But shit would I pay to see Jordan Schroeder in a Manitoba Moose jersey.

Come on Vancouver!

195. uni says:

Getting a top 15 player at the 21 spot and picking up a few extra picks isn't a bad day at all for Howson.

Wonder if Schroeder slips past the Canucks, I can't see it, wonder if Tambellini even tried to move up to get him.