That’s Sam Gagner upside down while playing for Canada. Gagner stepped right into the NHL and scored well, something that Gabriel Desjardins’ magic toy (the NHL equivalency) predicted.
In fact, Desjardins’ number did an excellent job in predicting all three regulars during the 07-08 NHL season. We discussed it at the time, and some felt it was pretty cool. Others suggested it was luck of the draw, and still others don’t like math although why you’d be here with that kind of attitude is beyond me.
Here’s a review of the three 07-08 NHL regulars. First the predicted numbers followed by the actual numbers they posted in the show:
- Patrick Kane, OHL: 26-36-62 (ACTUAL: 82gp, 21-51-72)
- Sam Gagner, OHL: 16-39-55 (ACTUAL: 79gp, 13-36-49)
- David Perron, QMJHL: 13-14-27 (ACTUAL: 62gp, 13-14-27)
Those look like direct hits to me. Let’s take a look at the 08-09 group. I’ve posted the numbers for those who played a full season, which I’ll count as 70 or more games.
- Steve Stamkos, OHL: 23-19-42 (ACTUAL: 23-23-46)
- Drew Doughty, OHL: 6-23-29 (ACTUAL: 6-21-27)
- Luke Schenn, WHL: 3-9-12 (ACTUAL: 2-10-12)
- Mikael Boedker, OHL: 12-17-29 (ACTUAL: 11-17-28)
- Josh Bailey, OHL: 11-24-35 (ACTUAL: 7-18-25)
With the exception of Josh Bailey, they’re spot on, folks. Desjardins’ NHLE works. Thanks, Gabe. Next up: this year’s NHLE’s.