Draft Week Post #1-Desjardins NHLE’s Work!

That’s Sam Gagner upside down while playing for Canada. Gagner stepped right into the NHL and scored well, something that Gabriel Desjardins’ magic toy (the NHL equivalency) predicted.

In fact, Desjardins’ number did an excellent job in predicting all three regulars during the 07-08 NHL season. We discussed it at the time, and some felt it was pretty cool. Others suggested it was luck of the draw, and still others don’t like math although why you’d be here with that kind of attitude is beyond me.

Here’s a review of the three 07-08 NHL regulars. First the predicted numbers followed by the actual numbers they posted in the show:

• Patrick Kane, OHL: 26-36-62 (ACTUAL: 82gp, 21-51-72)
  • Sam Gagner, OHL: 16-39-55 (ACTUAL: 79gp, 13-36-49)
  • David Perron, QMJHL: 13-14-27 (ACTUAL: 62gp, 13-14-27)

Those look like direct hits to me. Let’s take a look at the 08-09 group. I’ve posted the numbers for those who played a full season, which I’ll count as 70 or more games.

• Steve Stamkos, OHL: 23-19-42 (ACTUAL: 23-23-46)
  • Drew Doughty, OHL: 6-23-29 (ACTUAL: 6-21-27)
  • Luke Schenn, WHL: 3-9-12 (ACTUAL: 2-10-12)
  • Mikael Boedker, OHL: 12-17-29 (ACTUAL: 11-17-28)
  • Josh Bailey, OHL: 11-24-35 (ACTUAL: 7-18-25)

With the exception of Josh Bailey, they’re spot on, folks. Desjardins’ NHLE works. Thanks, Gabe. Next up: this year’s NHLE’s.

57 Responses to "Draft Week Post #1-Desjardins NHLE’s Work!"

1. B.C.B. says:

As a causal math-guy, I find Desjardin Comps to be extremely interesting (and very accurate, thanks for demonstrating LT). But since I don't follow prospects (other the LTs site), I don't use it much.

LT, do you think Desjardins Comps, should be used to help teams draft? Do you think the accuracy is going to viable as an analytical tool in long term team planning?

2. pboy says:

I couldn't be more off topic but Tony LaRussa picked up his 2500th win tonight. Only Mack and McGraw are ahead of him on the all-time wins list. I don't know if anyone else here is a very junior baseball historian but that's pretty rarified air to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Mack and McGraw. I never liked LaRussa but he's been winning for a long time in the bigs.

BCB: I think teams should track all of these kids in terms of time-on-ice, what situations (EV, PK, PP) they're playing in and who their playing against.

After that, these equivalencies would have even more meaning.

That aside, yeah, I think it's a good idea. Let me use the example of the Oilers first round picks since 2001:

Gagner 16-39-55
    Hemsky 12-24-36
    Schremp 11-18-29
    Eberle 15-11-26
    Pouliot 11-15-26
    Niinimaki 6-11-17

You have to factor in things like TOI of course, but I think it could help.

4. Anonymous says:

That's just surreal. You'd think that there would be so many random variables that even someone able to accurately predict a situation-to-situation transition would still be unable to predict raw numbers.

5. Scott says:

The similarity between the predicted and actual numbers is definitely impressive. However… the equivalency numbers are supposed to suggest how the player would perform if given the same ice time and quality of linemates. I find it difficult to believe that any of these players were in that situation. It's nearly certain that they all had a reduced role after arriving in the NHL. The fact that the numbers line up is great but as far as I can tell, it's not really accurate at predicting what it says it's predicting. If it was, we should have a lot more players with numbers like Josh Bailey.

6. Hawerchuk says:

Scott,

The NHLEs don't assume the same ice time – they assume that the player gets to play at least 40 games, which implies that he gets a semi-regular shift. But he may go from getting 23+ minutes in the WHL including all PP time to <10 mins of 4th line even-strength in the NHL.

I'm amazed that the numbers came out so nicely for the guys in this post. I should look at just how first round draft picks do – it would get around not having ice time data for juniors.

7. Scott says:

Thanks Hawerchuk. I had always thought the numbers assumed the same amount of ice time in total and situationally as the player received as a junior. Sorry for misrepresenting you and thanks for clarifying for me. Are these expectations then for what the player would put up in the NHL if given 10-12 minutes a night? Or do they not really assume anything about what kind of ice time the player will get in the NHL?

8. Bruce says:

I couldn't be more off topic but Tony LaRussa picked up his 2500th win tonight.

PBoy: That's quite a feat. To put it in perspective, LaRussa is 141 wins ahead of Bobby Cox and 305 ahead of Joe Torre, both of whom have been winning games on great teams since forever.

As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I like LaRussa just fine, although I will admit he's not the most likeable character. He is, however, a brilliant baseball mind and outside-the-box strategist. A couple years ago he was the subject of a great book, "Three Nights in August" by Buzz Bissinger, which is highly recommended if you're interested in that sort of thing.

That was actually me misrepresenting the time on ice assumption, and thanks Hawerchuk for clarifying.

Larussa's an ass, but they (managers) all have lots of things in common: selfish (for the team, Davey johnson did selfish, short term payoff type things to get Doc Gooden on the roster), driven by today, grumpy and many, many are heavy drinkers.

Another Cardinal manager, Whitey Herzog, remains my favorite, with Earl Weaver just behind in a photo finish.

10. Alice says:

I think the whole idea of the NHLE was that buddy has factored in the decreased ice-time and all that other crap, so you/(we) don't have to go thru the gyrations. To unwind the NHLE's and say 'what would they be if x, if y… it defeats the whole point. It's a very, [very!] nice dart, one in a whole pile of useful data points.

Don't take apart the cat – she'll be hard to put back together and almost certainly won't smell as good.

11. pboy says:

Torre 28 seasons mgr 4 WS wins
    Larussa 30 seasons mgr 2 WS wins
    Cox 31 seasons mgr 1 WS win
    Gaston 10 seasons mgr 2 WS wins

The better clutch manager gets left out of baseball. Maybe because he does not fit the tradition media desired image: selfish, driven and white.

I won't bother to comment on the racial portion of your post. Cito Gaston is the worst handler of starting pitchers that I have ever seen. He has the worst timing when it comes to pulling a pitcher and I think his reputation for being an "all hit – no pitch" manager was the reason he was out of work for so long.

12. rickibear says:

Torre 28 seasons mgr 4 WS wins
    Larussa 30 seasons mgr 2 WS wins
    Cox 31 seasons mgr 1 WS win
    Gaston 10 seasons mgr 2 WS wins

Keep beating the Desjardins drum LT.

PS:

LT sorry for your loss. Lost my mother to brain cancer in 99.

Your fathers day post reminded me of the little thing i did each day to help with her loss.

1. Remember she loved you like you love your children and you would have given her those same special joy moments too.

2. Think about a time with her each day. The smile each morning is great.

Roger Clemens was the reason Gaston was out of work so long, but Clemens is a quality, stand up guy who would never lie.

14. rickibear says:

Lt: Hope explaining the little trick was not too interfering.

Clemens and Peddie

Posting the 102 would be a nice restart to the game.

15. pboy says:

If Rajah's career shows what a unbelievable workout regime and steroids can do for your longevity.

First 9 seasons in the bigs;

152 W – 72 L 2.90 ERA 208 K's AVG per season

Last 4 seasons in Boston, clearly slowing down;

40 W – 39 L 3.78 ERA 179 K's AVG per season

Last 11 seasons, split between Toronto, NY Yanks & Houston;

162 W – 73 L 3.29 ERA 189 K's AVG per season.

Considering that fact that the offence in baseball really took off during what should have been Roger's "decline" years, he post career years at age 35 and 36 and he won more games in the second half of his career.

16. Coach pb9617 says:

Another Cardinal manager, Whitey Herzog, remains my favorite,

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

17. Boondock says:

It's like Christmas morning for draft junkies.

18. R-Gib says:

Some interesting quotes from Mr. Prendergast on the Oil website today. I really like what I'm hearing about taking the best available. Makes me think Ellis might be a possibility:

"We consider the top seven, maybe eight to be A+ players. There's a little drop after that, probably in the next five to six range," said Oilers Assistant General Manager and Vice President of Hockey Operations Kevin Prendergast.

"We know at 10 we're going to get a good player. We're going to have our pick we think of probably two or three players – it's just a matter of separating the ones that we think are going to be best-suited for the Oilers."

"We're not going to get a Crosby or an Ovechkin at 10 but we'll take the best player available," he said. "We're not interested in position. The player coming out at 10th for us this year is probably not going to help the club for three or four years.

"We have no idea what our team is going to look like in three or four years. We'd be foolish not to take the best player available."

19. Deano says:

From the TSN list:

10. MAGNUS PAAJARVI-SVENSSON

If he was still there at #10 it would be Christmas come early.

20. Smytty777 says:

Deano: I thought the same thing when I saw that. OEL's meteoric rise is very interesting. Weird to see MSP or MPS (whatever he prefers) sitting that low.

21. Deano says:

Hedman is playing 20 mins a night on the first pair for MoDo and is still not rated #1.

hmmmm….

22. Hawerchuk says:

Scott – "Are these expectations then for what the player would put up in the NHL if given 10-12 minutes a night? Or do they not really assume anything about what kind of ice time the player will get in the NHL?"

No assumptions made about NHL ice time. But production is very highly-correlated to TOI.

I found 28 rookies in 2008-09 who played 40+ games in the AHL the previous season. Overall, their equivalency was 0.6 (a bit higher than the overall because they're younger than average.) Their average TOI was 14:06.

23. Boondock says:

If he was still there at #10 it would be Christmas come early.

I'm not so sure about MPS. Great skater, but his lack of finishing ability keeps coming up. Makes him seem a bit like a young man who matured early and has had success by being able to outmuscle his peers, but might not have the hands to do it at the next level.

IMO, that was part of the problem with Rita. Matured early and could beat up on his peers as a teenager, but didn't have the skill to keep it up once everyone else caught up a bit.

MPS seems like a good bet to have an NHL career, but he might be a Dvorak-type player, who was highly touted due to his skating but didn't have the hands to be a big scorer. Still a useful player, I guess.

24. Bruce says:

LT/Coach: I'm with you fellows (and Bill James) on Whitey. He was a great manager for the Royals before he was a great manager for the Cardinals, his teams were always fun to watch, and he seemed like a genuinely decent human being.

It took a lot longer cuz he was such an abrasive son of a gun, but I grew to deeply respect Earl Weaver. The master of the platoon, he got more than anybody dreamed possible out of the likes of Gary Roenicke and John Lowenstein and Merv Rettenmund, not to mention Don (One-Pack) Stanhouse.

The modern manager I respect the most is Joe Torre. It seems everybody respects Joe Torre: fans, opponents, umpires, and more importantly his high-priced players. Most impressively of all, he even calmed down George Steinbrenner.

Torre is one of the dwindling few who have made their living at the major league level for my entire baseball life — he was a catcher, and a fine one, with the Milwaukee Braves when I saw a game at County Stadium as a 6-year-old way back in 1962. Torre wound down his 18-year playing career as a player-manager with the Mets in '77, and carried on as a high-profile major leaguer. Now in his 29th season as a manager, Torre remains on top of his craft, having so far guided his L.A. Dodgers, minus their star player, to the best record in baseball. It's a rare gem who stars as a player and wins as a coach/manager in any sport, but Joe Torre has done both, with class and grace, for half a century.

25. Boondock says:

Brownlee's list.

I would love for Tambi to move up for Kane. He put up huge numbers in a tough league. The math has him WAY ahead of a guy like Schenn.

Also glad they seem to like Glennie. Would be a solid pick at 10. Would hate to see the Oilers pass on him for Kadri.

26. hunter1909 says:

How much money do I get if Tambellini gets Hedman?

I've got this weird feeling a blockbuster move along these lines is on it's way. Oilers traditionally go for top not middling players ala Pronger, and Tampa are a franchise in disarray, desperate for credibility that a bunch of Oilers prospects can quickly provide.

Something alone the lines of Smid, Schremp and Jacques plus the swap of the 2nd for 10th first round pick. Since I have no idea re the value of prospects, toss in Chorney and another one, say Nilsson. Tampa could argue to it's fans that it's aggressively putting a team together, lol.

This is coming from the top of my head, and wtf do I know, but I've just got this feeling all of the Heatley talk might turn out to be a smokescreen for something like that.

And as for those half dozen overpaid contracts, what's to say half of those aren't off of the cap by October first? It's not as if the management are stupid, are they?

27. Boondock says:

Horrible trade for Tampa. No way they move a top 2 pick for that collection of misfits.

I don't see Tambi moving up for Hedman either when we know they're desperately looking for more scoring.

28. Satisfied_to_Ignore says:

Speaking of NHLE's, LT, have you or anyone else already done them for say the top 20 in the upcoming draft? Do they agree with the scouting order?

29. Coach pb9617 says:

Cogliano, #10, Omark

#5, Armstrong

Crazy or okay for both sides?

30. Boondock says:

Crazy or okay for both sides?

I'd definitely consider it for one of Hedman, Tavares, Duchene or Kane. Probably not if those guys are gone. After those 4, I'd probably just take my chances at 10, unless the cost to move up was marginal.

31. Traktor says:

Even Strength points over the last two seasons:

Hemsky 76
    Horcoff 66
    Cogliano 64
    Gagner 63

Total EV minutes after two seasons

Hemsky – 2104.39
    Gagner – 2028.36
    Horcoff – 1953.88
    Cogliano – 1859.56

PTS/60 over the last two seasons

Hemsky – 2.16
    Cogliano – 2.06
    Horcoff – 2.02
    Gagner – 1.86

Quality of teamates over the past 2 seasons

Gagner + 0.16
    Hemsky + 0.17
    Horcoff + 0.12
    Cogliano Negative 0.5

Trading Cogliano would be an idiot play. He's better than Gagner.

32. Boondock says:

Trading Cogliano would be an idiot play. He's better than Gagner.

Not sure if he'll be better than Gagner long-term, but you might be right about moving him. For guys like me who follow the draft closely, it's hard not to get carried away with some of these guys at draft time.

There's a good chance a couple of these guys at the top of the draft will be much better than both Gagner and Cogliano, so you better be sure about what you're getting if you move one of those guys.

33. hunter1909 says:

Wasn't Raffi Torres a number 5 overall pick?

34. Scott says:

Hawerchuk – Thanks again, that's extremely helpful.

Coach – Atlanta actually has the fourth pick overall (I assume you're referring to Colby Armstrong and not Derek Armstrong). If I were Atlanta I'd turn the trade down since (1) Armstrong is a very good player and (2) someone available at 4th OV will probably be better than Cogliano over the long term. If you actually did mean LA, I think they'd do that trade no problem.

35. jon k says:

Traktor: Cogliano was just leaving Michigan when he was Gagner's age.

Cogliano is a good player though and I don't think that can be understated given the general state of affairs on the Oilers F ranks.

———————————–

Looking at McKenzie's article, I sincerely hope that Dallas or Ottawa takes Kadri. It would significantly increase our chances of getting a good player from the 6-9 range.

From Brownlee's article it seems the Oilers are also not high on him, judging by Magnificent Stu's comments regarding him. And that's just fine by me. He's an older guy playing on a team known for inflating offensive icetime and with John Tavares on the same PP. Pass.

36. Sean says:

Traktor: If you ignore PP results you can also to make the argument that Patrick Marleau is better than Joe Thorton. Although, Cogliano also has better PP numbers than Gagner so my theory is shot. Either way, I'm not disputing anything – trading Cogliano isnt a good idea.

Boondock: Interesting take on MPS. I'd be considering him at 5th overall and his low ranking by Mackenzie suggests your on to something.

Reading Brownlee's comments, it looks like the 4th overall (Kane) would be the target for the Oilers if they were to move up. For all the time we spend discussing Heatley trades, if the Oilers are indeed that high on Kane and factoring in his entry level cap I'd be curious to hear what an offer for Kane be. Interesting stuff…

37. oilerdago says:

Hunter: Good point about Torres being a #5. As much as drafts are about building for the future, there are no guarantees.

From what I've read about this draft, everything points to the lead pipe locks are your top 3. From 4 to 8 or 9 you've got guys who are going to be good NHL'ers, but not likely to be elite.

By comparison, Cogs right now is a steal as a #25 pick in the first round. You don't trade a kid who scores 18 goals in each of his first two seasons (especially when he scores 18 playing on the 3rd line) unless you get into top 3 territory – and even then I'd hate to see him go.

Given that, and the fact that Armstrong is scoring his goals in the SouthLeast, I say no trade.

38. jon k says:

It's important to remember the context of Torres going 5th overall in the 2000 draft.

That was an exceptionally weak draft and I only count 5 or 6 NHLers going after Torres in the first round.

Secondly, Matt at BoA has looked at this a little, but it's likely Torres' stock was slightly inflated by being the "second-best" draft eligible player on his team. Scouts were there to see Klesla and likely saw more of Torres than they would normally on his own merits.

It's a psychological effect. Familiarity leads to increased likelihood of recollection. You see a 7 player 50 times and you're more likely to rate him higher than a 7 you see 20 times.

39. Ben says:

jon k:
    Kadri's numbers were better before Tavares arrived, so I don't think you can accuse him of leeching of a better teammate.

Pre JT:
    29 16-29-45 +13

Post JT:
    27 9-24-33 E

40. Traktor says:

"That's not what I said."

Are you sure?

When I showed you that Gagner has put up much better 5×5 per 60 numbers despite playing with much, much, much lesser teammates you reply with:

"It's somewhat misleading to suggest he's better than Gagner when the difference between them is 1 ES point and two years in age."

Right here you discounted Cogliano's achievements because of his age. Even though he has better numbers you don't think it's fair to call him the better player because of one reason: age

"Looking at players who make it to the NHL at 18 with Gagner's draft pedigree we see that it is far more likely that he will have an exceptional career."

And right here you brought up Gagner's age as why he should end up with the better career.

Seems quite obvious you're placing Gagner/Cogliano's age above all else.

41. jon k says:

Ben: Thanks for the split. I wouldn't say I accused Kadri. I simply don't think his performance to date, all circumstances considered, is great. Though I didn't state it explicitly my issue is that his offensive totals aren't stellar when you look at London's style, especially when you consider his age relative to his peers and his elite teammate.

His lesser numbers in the second half could however represent him getting bumped for icetime by Tavares, which would fit with what we know about London.

42. jon k says:

Traktor: If you look at my wording you will see what I am saying. I merely said that it's misleading to suggest that Cogliano is that much better than Gagner when the performance between them over two years is minimal. When you take into consideration Gagner's disadvantage in being a significantly younger player at a developmentally important time in his life the difference is negligible.

That's all I was saying. I'm sorry if I've offended your pro-Cogliano sensibilities.

Like I said, I think Cogliano is a good player and though I didn't state it before I'm not for trading him either.

43. doritogrande says:

Crazy or okay for both sides?

Crazy pills.

I'd do Penner and the 10th to LA for the 5th overall and I think both sides would be happy with the deal. Providing we take Paajarvi of course.

Seriously, if I see that on draft day I'm making shirts with Tambellini's smiling face on them and distributing them all over the province.

44. Councilman Les Winan says:

Interesting to see Richard Panik at #38 on McKenzie's list. I'd be intrigued if he fell to the Oilers at #40. There do seem to be a lot of concerns about him, but that seems like a lot of upside for a 2nd rounder.

45. hunter1909 says:

Anyway, something tells me that with so many fair to middling prospects and semi good but not particularly great yet serviceable NHL players, Tambelinni pulls off a Hedman level draft coup.

Assuming Bouwmeester signs, and Heatley trade rumours are true, lol, plus given the fact management is committed to buying out/trading away/burying in the minors several of those Lowe-dead contracts – well, this is the kind of malarkey my brain is telling me right now.

Boondock: Smid and Chorney are well decent, Nilsson well he's certainly going to be good enough for Tampa, Jacques can bang and crash(maybe), and
    Schremp is more than capable of playing in the SE as a powerplay specialist at the very least.

All told, Tampa has a shit team, and the fans are sick to death of being sold rookies, and all of the losing that goes with it. If I'm Oilers GM, I'm sure pitching this kind of package or even more, because I can actually see it benefitting both sides.

46. gogliano says:

There seems to be a lot of discussion about trading Cogliano for the draft. Where does Cogliano go in a redraft? He certainly goes higher than #25, and I think you have to take that into consideration when thinking about dealing him. #10 plus Cogliano is a pretty valuable package, particularly given the fact that teams are dealing with a shrinking cap (and, as an aside, the player decision on the inflator is going to impact the value of salary for picks/entry level deals).

47. doritogrande says:

Does anyone else think that TSN seems to be overrating their prospects in terms of style? If Jacob Josefson (16) plays like Zetterberg, does he not go first overall?

Ditto for Louis Leblanc at 17 being compared to Mike Richards.

That's too much hype.

48. doritogrande says:

Gogliano:

If I had my way, he gets taken ahead of, in reverse draft order:

Oshie
    Bergfors
    Lashoff
    McArdle
    Kindl
    Bourret
    O'Marra
    Pokulok
    Zagrapan
    Skille
    Pouliot

Which, provided I've done my math properly, would slot him 12th overall. It should be mentioned that I would have taken Bourdon ahead of Cogliano. May he rest in peace.

49. bookie says:

I think we see a summer with one significant change and that is a D-man for a power forward type. Outside of that…not much.

I seem to be in the minority here, but listening to the news conference by Tambi at the MacT firing suggests to me that he thinks there are some pretty good players here who did not come close to potential under Mact and I get the feeling that he wants to see what he really has before any major changes.

50. raventalon40 says:

Schremp 11-18-29

I think Schremp's gotten a bit of a raw deal. Especially with how other guys with similar knocks (skating, d-zone coverage) such as Chorney continue to be poster boys for the franchise.

51. raventalon40 says:

Yes, I know HF says that Chorney is a terrific skater. But it's not NHL calibre, is what I meant.

52. knighttown says:

Round 1- Magnus Pajaarvi-Svensson

Round 2- Ryan O'Reilly

Round 3- Toni Rajala

Round 4- Alex Hutchins

Round 5- Olivier Roy

53. Ribs says:

How many coaches can we fit in a box?…. Link

54. raventalon40 says:

Don Lever and Scott Arniel are both great candidates for the final Assistant Coach position. But I wonder, if they're both former head coaches in the AHL, would they want to be behind Quinn, Renney, AND Buchberger in pecking order? I think Arniel and Lever have the stuff to be head coaches in the NHL, but they would also make great assistants of the Paul MacLean / Todd Richards (new head coach of the Wild!) variety.

55. raventalon40 says:

My bad, Arniel is still technically a current AHL coach as opposed to a former one.

56. doritogrande says:

Knighttown:

We have two 3rd rounders.

And if you think that Olivier Roy is going to last til the 5th round, I want what you're smoking.

Not that I'm making the kind of late-round picks that you did, but I see the first two rounds shaping out more like this:

10th – Kulikov
    40th – Rundblad

57. oilerdiehard says:

raventalon40 said…

Chorney is a good skater. Having watched him in 2 years of college. Then off and on last year in the AHL. I am confident in saying that.

He might have other problems but skating and lateral mobility are not part of the problem. It is a strength. His skating is definitely NHL calibre.

If you want to worry about that side of things on a prospect. Think Cody Wild who for a rushing D is not that fleet of foot and his lateral mobility is not so good.