Here’s my list for the draft. A few things: this isn’t a mock draft, and it is not a prediction of the top 30. Why anyone would want to try to better Bob McKenzie in that area is beyond me. I am not an expert in any way. I’m a fan.
This list is the top 30 players that have two things going for them: a wider range of skills married to a solid math mark. The one dimensional players on this list have to rip the leather right off the ball to make it on the list.
Desjardins’ NHLE numbers do impact the list heavily, but there’s also a healthy dose of common sense based on the scouting reports.
I’ve also nicked smaller players a little this season with two exceptions (Schroeder and Ellis); in both cases, there’s just too much evidence to keep them outside the top 10 overall.
- D Victor Hedman: Franchise. Top end talent.
- C John Tavares: Tremendous goal-scorer.
- C Evander Kane: Strong, skilled and gifted.
- C Matt DuChene: Elite level speed and skill.
- C Braydon Schenn: Skill set transfers perfectly.
- C Jordan Schroeder: Math loves him. Terrific skill.
- R Scott Glennie: Wide range of skills with good results.
- L Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson: Speed kills.
- D Dmitrti Kulikov: Fine resume, wide range of skills.
- D Ryan Ellis: There’s just too much.
- D Oliver Ekman-Larson: Strong resume, math is meh.
- D Jared Cowen: Big, strong D with huge wingspan.
- D Calvin De Haan: Complete resume.
- R Zack Kassian: PF with an edge.
- D Stefan Elliott: Nice range of skills.
- C Jordan Caron: Why isn’t there more fuss?
- D John Moore: Smooth skater with skill from the blue.
- G Mikko Koskinen: .931SP is good in any league.
- D David Rundblad: Smart player, good shot.
- D Tim Erixon: Has brains, skill and pedigree.
- C Nazem Kadri: A somewhat risky pick (London calling).
- C Louis LeBlanc: Expert puck handler.
- D Simon Despres: An actual defenseman.
- G Matt Hackett: SP says he’s a player.
- C Chris Kreider: Late buzz, high schoolers tough to project.
- R Carter Ashton: Big PF prospect.
- R Jeremy Morin: He can score goals, could be a steal.
- C Ryan O’Reilly: An impressive list of skills.
- D Charles-Olivier Roussel: Smart player with some skill.
- C Jacob Josefson: Two-way center with playmaking skills.