Oilers pick at 101: Toni Rajala

Redline: Toni Rajala may be both tiny and mostly a perimeter player, but his ultra-high skill level and goal scoring prowess simply can’t be ignored.

ISS: “Rajala has been the focus of a lot of hype from a very young age. He has dominated every level he has played at in Finland and shown very well during international competitions. He had the most eyes looking his way at World U18 Championship he didn’t shy away but rather further pushed the spot light his way. Rajala needed to have a big tournament and do that he did, finishing with 19 pts in 6 games, eclipsing the previous U18 scoring record set by some kid named Ovechkin. He is said to be too small, but he is feisty and didn’t back down when challenged. He had a tremendous second half of the bronze game against Canada and was easily the best player on the ice for either team.”

Ranked
  • Redline: 43
  • ISS: 31
  • Bob McKenzie: 50

28 Responses to "Oilers pick at 101: Toni Rajala"

1. hunter1909 says:

Toni is a girly name.

2. hunter1909 says:

Okay I admit it, I've been drinking early today. Then again I no longer live in Alberta, which today really seems like a good thing.

3. doritogrande says:

Stu MacGregor, you're less of a stupid bastard.

You've moved up to bastard.

4. jon k says:

This pick makes me happy. He's a 1/1000 pick but he's someone we can cheer for.

5. MattM says:

I actually like this one. Weird. I've got NHL network on and Craig Button keeps saying "Scandanavians take longer to mature"
    He said it like 8 times. Bizarre.

6. HBomb says:

dg: He's moved back to "stupid bastard".

Like I said elsewhere, I was using the term stupid (insert word that rhymes with runt) to describe him after the Abney pick.

7. PunjabiOil says:

So we gave up a forth rounder for Brodziak?!?!

8. jon k says:

I think it was Brodziak straight across for the 99th overall.

9. jon k says:

Or… the 99th and 133rd.

10. Ribs says:

I hope Horcoff is working his cardio like a mofo this off season. Yikes.

11. uni says:

If a pick hadn't beem wasted on Abney we'd still have Brodziak right now. Anyone want to argue that Abney will ever amount to a fraction of how good or useful Brodziak is right now?

12. jon k says:

I think moving Brodziak is a clear sign that we are hoping to sign a veteran centre for help on faceoffs and the PK.

13. PunjabiOil says:

It's quite fucking sad, actually

14. RiversQ says:

Ouch. Just dying for a centre now. Realistically they already were and now it's just crazy.

15. Ribs says:

Think Burke even wanted Kadri? Sounded like he was just trying to piss Murray off because he was grumpy over Schenn.

16. Ribs says:

I think I might've moved Schenn to move up.

17. jon k says:

One step forward one step back?

Burke said he couldn't get the first at all. He could have got the second but then he wasn't getting the player he wanted and would have had to ship out Schenn.

Say what you want about Burke but I doubt he drafted Kadri out of spite.

I see his telling Murrary as not being such a d-bag move. He tells Murray, gives him a heads up so he can either make Burke an offer or look at the next players on their list.

18. MattM says:

Alright, so if Tambo is planning to play Brule as a 4th line center next year and is planning to sign a center, I guess moving Brodziak makes sense? I'm trying to talk myself into this here, and I'm not having much luck.

If they were picking better, I think it would be easier.

19. Smarmy Boss says:

So they pick the guy at 101 that some hoped they'd pick at 40?

Sounds good I guess.

Agreed.

You are looking at it backwards.

The Oilers were looking to get rid of Brodziak, this is what they got.

Agreed that Abney is a bizzaroland pick.

Brodziak is no real loss. He didn't work like a guy trying to keep a full time NHL job last year.

Just didn't look like he gave a shit very often.

21. speeds says:

Rajala is a nice pickup, I'd be pretty happy with the 2nd day if they'd have picking Hutchings instead of Abney.

Although I suppose maybe then they don't get Rajala at 101, who knows?

22. Deano says:

Rajala remind anyone else of Theo F?

23. Ducey says:

What does "tiny" mean? Is he 4'9"?

I guess its okay. Once Rajala gets decapitated, Abney can get into a staged fight at the next faceoff and teach someone equally useless a lesson.

24. jon k says:

Deano: He isn't nearly the skater Theo was.

5'9" 152.

I can see him growing a little though. The kid looks like he hasn't even hit puberty yet.

25. Deano says:

Thanks jon,

I think you may be right. I was watching for him to create his own ice in the youtube clip – but it was not there.

26. bookie says:

Just didn't look like he gave a shit very often.

Well, I personally think he was just following the coach's lead there. There was an upside that we have seen in the previous year.

The only thing that last year demonstrates is that a player either survived or crashed in a loony bin.

27. raventalon40 says:

Well, Jason LaBarbera only returned a 7th round pick so I think we got okay return on Brodziak. The only problem: we drafted Abney.