Ciphering

This is going to be a moving target that could change throughout the evening (Heatley could approve trade, Neil apparently is mulling an offer from the Oildrop) but this gives us a nice line in the sand with regard to the current roster and where we are in relation to the salary cap. The cap is currently $56,800,000 for the 09-10 season and the numbers below (cap #) are courtesty nhlsalaries.com.

GOALIES

5. MacIntyre .537

RIGHT WING

1. Hemsky 4.1
  2. Nilsson 2.0
  3. Pisani 2.5
  4. Stortini .7

23 players, total cap dollars sit at 55,387,000. Oilers have about 1.4M in room if my estimates (and math) are spot on. I like this roster moving forward much more than the Heatley roster. It’s a bit top heavy (the top 8 earners will bring in $35.5M, which is about 63%) and the team needs help at center and a scorer on LW. I’ll keep this updated throughout the evening.

471 Responses to "Ciphering"

« Older Comments
  1. Bruce says:

There's no way that these situations don't affect the way the GM and owner operate the team

No kidding. Thanks to Bettman's extension, Heatley's continuing recalcitrance, and the dumb-ass way Ottawa structured his contract to force the issue, both teams had their hands completely tied on what is likely the most important day of the season. Murray talked about dropping out of a couple of deals, and no doubt the Oilers were in the same boat.

2. HBomb says:

I hope that Tambellini and co. had a plan B in place and are working on it right now.

- Trade for Simon Gagne
    - Sign a center (or two) – Malholtra and Betts preferably
    - Maybe give Travis Moen a call and see if he'll give you what Ethan Moreau does (or better) for about half the price.
    - Dump salaries if possible: Moreau, Staios and Nilsson, potentially Penner, maybe even Souray.
    - Hang onto the cheap, young and improving: Gagner, Gilbert, and Cogliano primarily, O'Sullivan, Grebeshkov and Smid if possible.

3. Phil says:

So, Murray deciding he's not only unhappy with Heatley, but that he wants to piss in Tambo's eye as well. From his presser today:

"I took a deal that probably hockey-wise doesn't match for Dany Heatley, but I thought it was fair to allow the player to have an opportunity to move if that's what he wanted to do and we'd stock our team with a couple of players that we feel we can upgrade over the course of a year here."

Or, in Murray's mind, Cogliano, Penner, and Smid = bag of pucks.

4. Coach pb9617 says:

Nash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Heatley

5. jon k says:

Coach: How so?

6. Scott says:

LittleFury:

I don't get it.
    Haven't we done him enough favours already?

Why do we want to scare Nash into a smaller contract by threatening him with playing in Edmonton?

7. Coach pb9617 says:

- Trade for Simon Gagne
    - Sign a center (or two) – Malholtra and Betts preferably

Jagr is the backup plan. Again.

8. Hoos says:

My friends, this is karma. When was the last time Bryan Murray had dealings with the Oilers??

That's right … Mike Comrie for Corey Perry. Just when they thought the had a deal worked out, KLowe inexplicably asked for $2 million from the Comrie camp to finalize the deal.

I'm not saying that that situation was a motivating factor, but, as I said last night to Corey Graham, when you play in the mud, you get dirty.

And the Oilers are about the dirtiest team I can think of right now. So dirty no one wants to play for them.

I hate my life.

Scuderi to the Kings – I doubt Souray is a candidate there now.

I can't find this anywhere.

How much? How long?

I checked NHL, TSN and Sportsnet, and can't find it.

I've been hoping that somehow the Oilers end up with Scuderi for a year now. Be interesting to see if he's still cheaper than Staios.

10. HBomb says:

Coach: I'm pretty sure Jagr is signed for another year in Russia and can't be the back-up plan.

11. HBomb says:

Here's the Scuderi signing – 4 years at 3.4 million cap hit per season

Not cheaper than Staios – but a far better player at this point. Still, I'd say Scuderi timed a good playoff run quite well (i.e. just prior to hitting UFA status).

Between losing he and Gill, it will be interesting to see what the Pens do to bolster their blueline.

Pretty sure Radulov had time left on his contract in Nashville too….

Would they be interested in one Steve Staios???????

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

14. HBomb says:

Woodguy: they are on the verge of also losing Fedotenko, so they could use some veteran depth – they also have center depth to spare.

Got it.

Jordan Staal for Ethan Moreau and Steve Staios.

Salaries almost balance.

Makes sense, doesn't it? Right? Ummm, guys? Hello?

Scuderi to the Kings – I doubt Souray is a candidate there now.

They still have lots of room and a bit of a need for him.

Especially if Johnson is coming back the other way.

16. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: How so?

First and foremost, he's not an asshole. He's not going to demand a trade and he's certainly not going to kill anyone. He's half-way intelligent and he's only 25.

6'4", 215 lbs, and you're about to get the five best years of his career, in which he likely averages 45-50 goals a year. This year, with Malhotra, he was an ES killer, unlike Heatley. Even last year with Zherdev and Peca, he wasn't in over his head despite Zherdev's deficiencies. He's put up 78 goals in the last two years with Malhotra and Peca as his centermen. Throw him next to Horcoff and Hemsky and, lordy, watch them go.

Nash is Heatley+++. If Tambellini could pull off a swap for Nash, I have a kid just to name it Steve Tambellini. Rick Nash as an Oiler, next to Hemsky, would give commentors here flashbacks, provided they were old enough to have them.

17. Coach pb9617 says:

Woodguy, I got it here. Fleury is not happy about this.

If you say so. Never tell Daryl Katz that the white whale doesn't exist.

18. HBomb says:

Given the number of references lately, I really think I need to read Moby Dick.

19. Coach pb9617 says:

HBomb:

If you have a smartphone, read it during your daily constitutional.

20. Alice says:

/Get Nash to agree to a 10-year, $75 million extension and flip him for the Heatley package + a prospect or 1st if need be./

The difference is Heatley wants out AND was dragging a 4M signing bonus. Nash only going to get moved for first-class asset, if at all. If it's 75 over 10 gets it done, Howson has that wrapped up.
    (But it was fun just thinking about it, )

21. Coach pb9617 says:

(But it was fun just thinking about it, )

He just said they were far apart. A good GM would be on Howson like stink on Heatley.

22. LittleFury says:

(But it was fun just thinking about it, )

If that's all it takes why haven't they done it? This isn't the first report of negotiations being rocky between these two parties.

23. PDO says:

The Oilers make me sad.

24. jon k says:

Coach: You read Nash's comments regarding Howson's first offer? Seems like an ass to me. He's actually always come off as an ass to me in the media.

Anyway, it's interesting to note that Heatley has outperformed Nash at ES every year post-lockout except last season where they performed similarly. Not really even a close comparison because Nash was a liability at ES prior to the lockout.

Nash is a PK player which I'd say is a valid argument but otherwise I don't really see any others.

25. Alice says:

I just think it would be quality-for-quality, CBJ has no need to take a Qty-for-qual trade like we had to w Pronger and Ottawa will have to w Heatley. It's a Hemsky+ trade, not a Penner+ trade, is what I'm saying.

And yeah Coach, you get on the blower – hell, you can make the call from Katz's Pequod, somewhere over Humboldt.

26. LittleFury says:

Nash is a fair bit younger and didn't have the luxury of playing with Kovalchuk, Spezza and Alfie for most of his career. Wanna bet he outperforms Heatley over the next five years?

27. Ribs says:

jon k: Not even quality of teammates?

28. PDO says:

Jon:

Check the percents. Nash had some bad dice rolls, but he's a legitimate PVP player, and he does it without Alfredsson on his line.

I'll ignore trades right now.

Can we just bury Nilsson, sign Maholtra and Betts, and play with:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Cogliano – Gagner – O'Sullivan
    Moreau – Maholtra – Pisani
    Brule – Betts – Stortini

Please?

That lineup has 8 (!) guys who can PK, if you include Cogliano. AND, as crazy as this sounds, we have 3 centres there who can actually win a draw and be trusted in their own zone!!!!

29. Anonymous says:

Murray:

"They implied that I didn't have permission to speak with Edmonton. Three times on the weekend I told them that I was talking to Edmonton and I asked them if I could continue talking. They said, that yes – I could"

30. Coach pb9617 says:

jon, I assume this was tongue-in-cheek. Nash was 19 before the lockout.

Do you think that Dany Heatley would have outpaced Nash, given Peca and Zherdev as linemates two years ago?

31. Coach pb9617 says:

Please?

Looks like a playoff team to me.

32. Anonymous says:

So the NHL might STILL make Heatley or the team that trades for him pay that $4M:

There are "strong grounds upon which a claim can be pursued. The Ottawa franchise believes it has been damaged," [NHL deputy commissioner] Daly told Sportsnet.ca in an e-mail.

Hide the screech and run.

33. PDO says:

That quote doesn't even make any fucking sense.

"They said I couldn't talk, I told them I was, and they said keep talking."

…?

What?

34. LittleFury says:

Interesting stuff from LeBrun here.

Heatley's agent, J.P. Barry, strongly opposed the notion that the Oilers' package was the only good deal on the table.

"Bryan insists that he never really had any other options, which I completely disagree with," Barry told ESPN.com on Thursday from Stockholm, where he went to broker the Sedin twins' deals. "I believe there were several potential options. I think it was clearly their intent to trade him to Edmonton and only Edmonton. That was the approach they took.

"I specifically told him two days ago, long before the trade happened, 'Do not trade him to Edmonton until you have other options.' And he turned around and consummated the trade despite my request. The result of which is that I get a phone call from a guy that I really respect in Steve Tambellini, who was excited, and I had to inform him what happened.

Barry said the New York Rangers, a team that was on Heatley's list of desired destinations, had a good offer on the table.

"Based on my understanding of the discussions that took place with the Rangers, the options the Rangers provided were every bit as good, or better, than the options provided by Edmonton," Barry said. "But I'm sure Bryan has a different opinion of that."

A Rangers source said Thursday the team did make "a competitive offer," although a Senators source insists it wasn't as good as Edmonton's three-player package, saying, "We couldn't even get a 13-goal scorer in the deal."

JP Barry seems like a real sack of shit.

Heatley vs Nash Qual Comp/Qual Team

08/09

Heatley .04 0.0
    Nash .04 -.04

07/08

Heatley .06 .35
    Nash .008 .06

06/07

Heatley .008 .26
    Nash .026 .16

Heatley has had a significant advantage in the ratio all 3 years

36. Deano says:

Ottawa … believes it has been damaged

So Heatley waives the NMC to avoid litigation.

Wow!

37. LittleFury says:

PDO: It's like this.
    After the shit went down, Heatley's camp made it sound as if they had not given Murray permission to talk to Edmonton. Murray says they did giver permission and they knew the discussions were underway.

Dig?

38. bookie says:

Generally I would argue that it is up to the team trading a player as to what is good value EXCEPT Ottawa in their wisdom gave Brainwave McHeat all of the power with a no trade clause.

I hate no trade clauses – they should only come when players give a big discount. Heatley at 5.5 with a NTC is smart, Heatley at 7.5 with a NTC suggests that Heatley outsmarted the Sens…That says something about the Sens!

39. bookie says:

No mention of needing a 3C. Does someone really think that the answer is currently in the system after last year?

Last year is tough to judge, the coach slept in a hyperbolic container and thought he was peter pan. Some of us think that some guys suffered under that.

I think we need to trade a D-man for a forward and then see where coaching takes us.

40. mc79hockey says:

So Heatley waives the NMC to avoid litigation.

As a lawyer, I can tell you that this is a pretty sketchy sounding plan. I think that the NHL realizes that the signing bonus thing is a bit of an unforseen consequence in that the dollars aren't tied to the games being played and, really, there's nothing objectionable to the idea that whoever takes Heatley would pay the bonus, assuming that its before the season.

Of course, I also think that JP Barry sounds ridiculous saying that Heatley wants multiple offers to consider. Say what you mean JP: Edmonton is not a first choice but it's not so bad that he'd reject it out of hand.

41. PDO says:

There's no way we're dumb enough to enter next season with the C depth chart at:

Horcoff
    Gagner
    Cogliano
    Pouliot
    Brule

… right? RIGHT!?

42. pboy says:

- Trade for Simon Gagne
    - Sign a center (or two) – Malholtra and Betts preferably

That sounds pretty good to me. I think the team is improved with the addition of Khabi but there are definitely moves still needed.

You have to think that teams will be even more cautious than they might have been before when it comes to granting a NMC. I'll be surprised to see a player get top dollar & a NMC anytime soon. You can have the NMC but you will have to take a little less than a premium…..

43. Gerta Rauss says:

copy paste from the Oilers website…apologies if this has been posted here already…tough to tell through all the Heatley noise…

JULY 1, 10:00 AM MDT – The Oilers have sent qualifying offers to nine players: Brule, Dubnyk, Grebeshkov, McDonald, Potulny, Reddox, Schremp, Smid and Stone.
    Bisaillon, Goulet, Rohlfs, Spurgeon and Young are now unrestricted free agents.

44. Doogie2K says:

Heatley + Moreau = $9.5 MM
    Heatley + Nilsson = $9.5 MM
    Havlat + Penner = $9.25 MM

There were other options besides dumping Penner for cap room.

Objection: assumes facts not in evidence, i.e. that Havlat would sign for $30M/6y in Edmonton.

I agree with the rest of your point, just thought I'd note that just because a player signs in City X for a number doesn't mean they'll sign in Edmonton for that number. In fact, it's almost guaranteed they won't. (See: Hossa, Marian)

Sure there is: if the GM and owner have been in place for less than a year and haven't had a chance to fully make the team "theirs" yet. You don't go from a Lowe-MacT-EIG team being undesirable to a Tambo-Quinn-Katz team being desirable overnight.

Given the number of references lately, I really think I need to read Moby Dick.

Bah, just watch The Wrath of Khan. Same thing, really.

45. Downright Fierce says:

the coach slept in a hyperbolic container

Hyperbaric chamber, actually.

Sleeping in a hyperbolic chamber would have made MacTavish prone to broad generalizations and extreme exaggerations.

…Oh, wait. Maybe you're right.

46. kris says:

So wait. J.P Barry's position to Murray is what?

1. It's okay to trade to the Oilers only if there aren't ANY other deals?

2. It's okay to trade to the Oilers only if there aren't ANY EQUALLY good deals?

It can't be 2, because Barry isn't in a position to dictate what a good deal for the Sens is.

And it can't be 1, because obviously some team is going to offer something, even if it's just 2-3 overpaid veterans, going to Ottawa.

Weird, weird stuff. All of this is just more evidence that Heatley put Edmonton on his list of acceptale clubs and then decided to take it back.

Help, I'm being "blindsided" by people doing what I told them they could do!

Nash will never end up in Edmonton. Don't get your hopes up.

Nash is Jay Bouwmeester. He is going to UFA. Brian Burke left himself cap room for next year just for Nash, and Nash knows it.

Yes. Scott Howson faces a horrible choice. Trade Nash now, or trade him at the deadline, or lose him for nothing. I doubt he can get him signed.

What would you be willing to trade for one year of Nash and one year only? Knowing that he is headed to Toronto next year.

Trade for Simon Gagne.

Everyone keeps saying this, but there are two problems with getting Gagne.

1) He has a NTC. Would he come here?

2) Philly is looking to dump $$$, so they are not taking much back. Unless you dump elsewhere (Souray to LA being most likely), you cannot fit him in.

49. Anonymous says:

jjj

…Oh, wait. Maybe you're right.

Awesome.

51. Baroque says:

…Oh, wait. Maybe you're right.

I love the conversation on this blog. :-)

J.P. Barry's position (and Heatley's) simplified.

Edmonton can only be used as a bargaining chip to get a better offer from somewhere else. Any deal with Edmonton could only be presented in the context of more than one potential option for Heatley, and Heatley would never choose the Edmonton one.

Tambellini was being used by J.P. Barry (and Murray),

Notes:

1) Patrick O'Sullivan can also potentially play centre.
    2) It might be easier to get a 3rd line defensive centre at the end of training camp.
    3) The Oiler probably want to trade for a 3rd line centre rather than sign a UFA…i.e. to get rid of a contract while they are getting one.

54. jon k says:

Oh I think that Nash is an excellent player, and I think there's a good chance he's better than Heatley at ES.

I just don't think anyone can really prove it or get away with saying Nash>>>>>>>>>>>>>Heatley because nothing backs that up.

Saying Nash might have done better than Heatley if their situations were reversed might be true, but it's speculative.

To date Nash has been an OK player at ES but has shown real improvement under Hitchcock. As a fan of the Edmonton Oilers now would be a good time to take steps toward securing him, I agree. I think his stock is going to rise in the next few years.

Doubt he goes anywhere though. Howson has consistently proven himself to be a very competent GM and he won't let a player of Nash's calibre go. He has an entire year to work out the contract still.

55. Deano says:

mc

According to Sportsnet, Bill Daly said: There are "strong grounds upon which a claim can be pursued."

Doesn't sound 'sketchy' to me. Sounds like more pressure being applied to Heatley to waive the NMC.

56. bookie says:

Hyperbaric/hyperbolic

A serendipitous typo on my part.

57. Sean says:

dantencer: Blair Betts is still on the free agent market. I'm told that the Oilers do not have interest in this player.

Translation: Blair Betts is buddies with Lupul. Doesnt want to play in Edmonton.

58. Anonymous says:

What is the worst thing that could happen to Heatley in the end of all this?

Put yourself in his shoes and at what point do you start to worry about jeopardizing your guaranteed 37.5 million dollars over the next 5 years, that all you have to do to earn is play hockey, something you are really good at?

1. You can't go back to the Sens. Or wait a minute, what if you pissed them off so bad that they actually DO make you come back? What are you going to do, SUCK on purpose and not score any goals? dog it every night and cause a bunch of problems in the dressing room, etc.? So then what if they were to say fine, and send you to the minors? So you go there and do the same thing?
    As long as you don't actually walk out, you still get paid and put enormous pressure on the club to deal you and stop the bleeding. This would definitely hurt the Senators more than Heatley, and for that reason will never happen. Would be hilarious though, and if it did, I am sure he would have wished he just went to Edmonton and played professional hockey instead of turning his career into a media circus. (that is kind of already is) He'll get dealt to the team he wants in the end.

2. You can't play for Edmonton now, the only team that offered a deal for a smooth ride out of Ottawa.

3. Arguably, all the other teams in the NHL either don't want your baggage, or can't afford you.

Heatley must be getting told by his agents to not worry, we will get a deal done for you in a city you want to play in. Murray will eventually cave and send you to one of the vulture GM's out there waiting for him to crack. Surely there are more than a few out there! Even if it took until February, you only give up half a years salary.

This must be what they are banking on.

I am sure it's safe to say that if any of us had a 37.5 million dollar guaranteed contract for the next 5 years we wouldn't be so reckless!

Can anyone else think of a scenario where Heatley gets totally Screwed at the end of this saga?

I can't.

59. knighttown says:

"totally screwed"

No. But I betcha he's fuckfaced himself right of the Olympic team.

60. Baroque says:

No. But I betcha he's fuckfaced himself right of the Olympic team.

Deport him to Germany!

61. goldenchild says:

Anonymous in the end the athlete almost always gets their way if they are willing to take a short term PR and monetary hit. Heatly appears to be willing though some his willingness may be due to just sheer ignorance on the state of the NHL.

Thats fine I just dont see why Tambolini is such a willing pawn in his mess, i suspect its more Katz then him but at some point he has to stand up and say this shit isnt good for the team, Ive already wasted 2 days chasing the yeti let me get back to work and sign Molholtra, move out some contracts and see if I cant find another way to get a winger for Hemmer.
    I could give a fuck about Heatly at this point, my frustration is with our group for refusing to move on. I havent seen anythingthis desperate since John favreau's late night calls to an answering machine in Swingers.

62. knighttown says:

@GODOT

Excellent synopsis of what went down. There can be no other explanation. Murray and Barry/Heatley had a handshake agreement to use Edmonton to drive up the price. Heatley gets to go somewhere nice and Murray gets a better package.

Then Murray fell in love with the Oiler package OR couldn't resist stabbing Heatley in the back ("he, he. I'll send him to Siberia…that'll teach him to fuck with me) and put the gun to his head. He supposed Heatley would have no choice to accept or risk losing all respect in the hockey world. It takes some serious stones by Barry to come clean because they look awfully bad but it certainly beats the alternative.

Playing in Edmonton, that is.

Fucking wish Phoenix would come back to Winnipeg.

63. Black Dog says:

goldenchild – oh that scene was painful to watch

terrific movie, way back before favreau and vaughn both got fat

64. HBomb says:

knighttown: Not to sound tasteless, but I'm pretty sure Dany Heatley could break Dominic Moore's neck sometime early next season and still get named to the Olympic team.

When you add up the fact that:

a) He's the highest scoring (in terms of goals) Canadian born player post-lockout,

b) He's Canada's all-time leading scorer in International Play,

and

Well, needless to say, I think he's a stone-cold lock for Team Canada in Vancouver. Douchenozzle behavior notwithstanding.

65. doritogrande says:

What are you going to do, SUCK on purpose and not score any goals? dog it every night and cause a bunch of problems in the dressing room, etc.? So then what if they were to say fine, and send you to the minors? So you go there and do the same thing?.

I'm not as well versed on Heatley's actual contract status as some here, but if it's actually a no-movement contract, he has the right to "fuck you" a move to Binghamton as well. No movement clauses include demotion to the minors. And what I would give to see that little clause kick in.

Oh, and to Baroque, you just made my week. That was absolute gold.

66. Anonymous says:

doritogrande:

Can they just make him a healthy scratch every night?

Or even better, make him dress and sit on the end of the bench next to the backup goalie every night.

That would certainly piss him off!

Ottawa will probably suck next year anyways. Might as well turn it into a total GONG SHOW!

What I would give to see that!!!

67. Baroque says:

You're welcome, dorito! :-)

(Extremely frequentl lurker but very infrequent commenter. Some of the best conversation on the internetwebs, though – always fun to read.)

68. Anonymous says:

Another read. Heatley's camp agreed to add Edmonton when the Rags and the Cal teams didn't step up. They believed the last minute Rags rumors and flipped back to denial.

69. Anonymous says:

Bettman's office needs to cease trade the Heatley "market" until Daly's issue is settled by the league. How can anyone deal right now without knowing who's responsible for the $4M?

Daly's hinting the league could rule that the trade demand prior to bonus day will result in the bonus being refunded by the new team. If so, that's reset TWO on the June 30th deadline.

The Oilers need to stop chasing this gong show and let Cogs, Smid, and Penner know there will be no Heatley deal.

//c) The line of Nash/Getzlaf/Heatley was nothing short of devastating at the 2008 World Championships,//

Heatley sucked at the 2004 World Cup. Nash lit it up with Thornton and Gagne. i.e. Nash and Getzlaf were driving the bus. Heatley was along for the ride.

Nash will light it up with anyone.

Heatley may be the best complimentary player in the world, but you need somebody else to drive the bus. And he will be humble in the context of being around Team Canada players.

Hemsky is a bus driver, and the Oilers have a mobile puck moving defense, so conceptually, Heatley could work in Edmonton.

But he is a selfish narcissistic frat boy.

But I don't think Heatley is saleable to the fan base anymore. As a fan one would have to surrender all self-respect.

71. Bruce says:

Doogie: of course, and of course he wouldn't. It was just at theoretical consideration that you could sign a sniper UFA and yes you would have to move salary but not necessarily a big one like Penner's. Forget about the other guys who you have to replace at similar cost, Heatley for Penner is a $3.25 MM bump on the cap, and "Havlat" for Moreau or "Hossa" for Nilsson or even "Tanguay" for Reddox would be the same.

If Heatley's cap hit were $5 or $6 MM I would have felt a lot more favouable about this deal, but from the beginning I was lukewarm to Heatley because of the double whammy of player assets given in exchange and cap hit. In my opinion he's overpaid, and we got too many of those on the port side already.

« Older Comments