Ciphering

This is going to be a moving target that could change throughout the evening (Heatley could approve trade, Neil apparently is mulling an offer from the Oildrop) but this gives us a nice line in the sand with regard to the current roster and where we are in relation to the salary cap. The cap is currently $56,800,000 for the 09-10 season and the numbers below (cap #) are courtesty nhlsalaries.com.

GOALIES

5. MacIntyre .537

RIGHT WING

1. Hemsky 4.1
  2. Nilsson 2.0
  3. Pisani 2.5
  4. Stortini .7

23 players, total cap dollars sit at 55,387,000. Oilers have about 1.4M in room if my estimates (and math) are spot on. I like this roster moving forward much more than the Heatley roster. It’s a bit top heavy (the top 8 earners will bring in $35.5M, which is about 63%) and the team needs help at center and a scorer on LW. I’ll keep this updated throughout the evening.

471 Responses to "Ciphering"

Newer Comments »
  1. PDO says:

Strudwick signed for $700k.

You were off by $50k.

I feel so lied to Lain. I don't know if I can trust anything on this blog any more.

lol. Fixed. WHERE do I put Neil? Here's hoping Slats spends a bunch on him.

3. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, I'm getting $57,233,000 for the same 23…are you accounting for bonus cushion?

4. Coach pb9617 says:

Hm, I have Smid at 1,250,000 and Grebs at 3,250,000 as well.

5. Jon says:

gagner and Cogs will only cost a cap hit of 0.875 each

that lowers the cap hit by about 1 million

6. Jonathan Willis says:

New York's offer is reprotedly 2.3 million per season over four years for Neil, and it's the most substantial, but Neil would like to stay in Canada.

Neil turned down an offer from Ottawa worth 1.7MM/yr previously.

So the Oilers have offered a three year contract somewhere between 1.7 and 2.3 million a year to a fourth line forward from a non-playoff team. A forward who is already replicated on the roster for much less dough (Stortini) and who can't possibly fit in the top-six.

7. DBO says:

JW: exactly. Neil is not needed. A third line vet centre who can win a faceoff for the same money is more important. What about Dominic Moore from buffalo? He had a solid year mostly in TO this past year, he's a solid two way player and based on what is flying around a 3 or 4 year deal around $2 mill might work.

8. PDO says:

Just say no to Chris Neil, please. He doesn't make this a better team at $1,000,000 a season, never mind $2,000,000.

I'm starting to have serious doubts about the Oilers improving their roster much for next season though.

9. CM says:

I would love to see maholtra and foster fill out the roster.

Well he's been offered a contract and we may have to find room. This is going to be an interesting summer.

11. Coach pb9617 says:

Yelle or Betts at a million is a way better deal.

12. Lord Bob says:

Is it funny yet how much better Howson is running Columbus than our perennial also-ran GM candidate is running Edmonton? No. Yeesh.

13. Rick says:

If the Oilers get Neil, I'd expect some movement from the 3rd liner crew.

I'm not worried about the cap, either.

If the Heatley deal goes through, we're only going up something like $500K. To make moves necessary to fill obvious holes on the roster, a Heatley deal or not – we'll still need to deal a puckmoving D.

My money's on Gilbert, since Tambs was dangling him a lot the last week.

Quinn is out of touch with who is playing in the NHL currently and how older players may have deteriorated.

He remembers Neal from 4 years ago. Not the Neal of last year.

He didn't have a clue who Craig Anderson is. He has heard of Khabibulin.

This number AND Heatley AND Neil? Souray's going.

16. Deano says:

Hanging this on Quinn is not fair. This is Tambo's job and Renney should be there too.

17. Jesse says:

If we get Heatley then we probably move Souray, Vis, or Gilbs. And if we move any of those D we're going to be getting something substantial back.

Whatever the case, if Heatley gives the thumbs up then I'm sure Tambi has a plan to deal with the cap space and missing pieces so I wouldn't be overly concerned about the cap just yet.

18. Coach pb9617 says:

This number AND Heatley AND Neil? Souray's going.

Souray and Moreau Eberle for Johnson, Simmonds and a year of Frolov?

19. Bar Qu says:

I am so glad that I worked on a fence all day rather than give myself an aneurysm over the free agent nonsense I am just catching up on.

20. Deano says:

If Heatley has not said yes yet, what is he waiting for?

We will have to see if Murray gets any decent offers after paying the bonus later tonight.

I doubt that he's prepared to force Heatley to play in Ottawa.

21. CM says:

Lord bob I don't get all the love for the CBJs I understand that howson is a smart guy but I just don't see how the 4 losses they had in the playoffs make them miles ahead of an oiler team which was missing its highest paid player for the last half of the season.

and BTW last year howson spent 8.5 mil cap hit by adding huselius and commodore in FA

22. jon k says:

Signings to be announced shortly. I hope it's Malhotra.

Howson needs to get Nash signed, that's job 1. Having said that, he's been doing good things since he got there and it's fun to watch that team being built so well.

24. Deano says:

anon

I guess I was not clear – after this who would want Heatley? If the Oilers were on his list, it was only to get Katz into a bidding war.

He underestimated our desperation to have the shiniest FA.

Looks like Heatley has pretty much screwed himself.

25. Backhand says:

Jeff Halpern please! 2.0 mil for one more season, good faceoff veteran who has shown he can provide offence. I do believe he is RH as well.

26. DBO says:

garon signs in columbus for 2 years, $1,2 mill per. Howson going to who he knows since he was the one who signed garon in Edmonton

27. Deano says:

Doesn't Howson know how fragile Garon is?

28. DBO says:

With Sulliva signing for $3.75 and Cammelleri for $6 mill. What is Tanguay's worth? $4 or $4.5 maybe

29. goldenchild says:

I dont get how Neil can be a priority over a C that wins face offs, PKs and can play against quality opposition. I mean C is a glaring hole right now and there doesnt appear to be a lot of $$$ left to fill this roster out. If 13 is out in the Heatley deal, added to 51 thats 2 C out and none in on a team that needed a C last year. i dont get it.

30. Coach pb9617 says:

Two million too much. Pass.

31. Anonymous says:

Deano

I agree,

He has screwed himself in that he is now typecast with every team as a guy with no class and a potential cancer in the dressing room.

Beacuse of that, I think he can pretty much kiss goodbye the idea of being traded to a true cup contender.

Having said that, he can still score, and that sells jerseys and fills seats.

Maybe he should go to Phoenix!

32. mjsh says:

What about Souray plus? for \marleau? does that fix the center issue?

33. Coach pb9617 says:

I'd sure like a Howson / Hitchcock combo in Edmonton.

34. Backhand says:

mjsh: ya but makes the cap issue even worse

35. DBO says:

If we do heatley then expect Souray for johnson and a prospect. We'll need the money to fill out the roster with a 3rd line centre. And that would mean pou or brule is the 4th C.

36. Lord Bob says:

This Heatley talk is very relevant. You guys think Michael Nylander is coming with him?

37. gogliano says:

Gaborik to the Rangers = take Cogliano off the table.

38. R O says:

Gaborik, 5.75 M per year, over 5 years, for the Rangers.

39. DBO says:

Gaborik signs a 5 year deal for $5.75 mill per year with the rags. as per mackenzie

40. DBO says:

I agree. Cogs off the table, or switch Staios for Smid.

41. PDO says:

Oilers should switch up the deal, and tell the Sens to blow them.

Either Smid for Staios or Cogs for Nilsson.

42. Psyche says:

Does anyone know the "process" for tabling these offers? I am curious if the Oilers are allowed to change their offer or is there a binding agreement between the two teams?

43. R O says:

Apparently it's actually 7.5 Million per year.

LOL.

44. Anonymous says:

Lord Bob:

and Jagr!

45. PDO says:

Gionta gets 5 years @ $25,000,000.

Wow.

At least we're not Hab fans.

46. JK says:

Adding Neil makes absolutely no sense. He is coming off his worst season in years and maybe even his worst season ever. There are several younger, better, and probably tougher options already under contract with the organization.

Strudwick, meh…

What can you say about a club that gets younger by adding a goalie who played for the Winnipeg Jets?

I keep waiting for some unseen yet brilliant pattern to emerge and start to reveal itself, but so far – not so much.

JK

Neil stays in Ottawa.

48. gogliano says:

Neil to Ott! Phew.
    Gaborik more money!

49. Psyche says:

If this Heatley deal (unfortunately) occurs how long before he asks for a trade out of Edmonton?
    a. Training camp
    b. Pre-Olympic break
    c. Post-Olympic break
    d. Trade deadline
    e. End of season (from Mexico)

50. Coach pb9617 says:

Come on San Jose – step up for Heatley.

51. Coach pb9617 says:

Rescind Steve. Please.

52. jon k says:

After the Sens screwed the pooch on this one I agree, take Cogs out of the deal and put in Nilsson and a second.

Ha.

According to tsn, Oilers management group are going to meet Heatley face to face.

Is this a good idea?

54. Gerta Rauss says:

I've removed my earlier post-I'm not sure that makes it go away in real life.

55. bookie says:

What a strange day!

56. Jesse says:

Fist-to-face…actually I want Heatley still

57. bookie says:

Gaborik might have looked good as an Oiler at 5.75 a year…

If this takes Cogs out of the heatley deal I am happy though!

bookie: Gaborik is 7.5 per year times 5 years.

59. YKOil says:

Wow.

Talk about the tail wagging the dog. The Oilers are abasing and whoring themselves now.

Unbelievable.

60. bookie says:

Please sir, we beg of you, please come join our little club. We wills treats you real nice.

Which Oiler manager drops to his knees first?

Man, this is sad.

What if he still decides not to come?

61. bookie says:

bookie: Gaborik is 7.5 per year times 5 years.

Ok, headsmack received, thanks for waking me up LT!

62. PDO says:

YKOil:

Weren't you a fan of the way Calgary dealt with Bouwmeester?

That saw Iginla & Langkow making personal calls while Sutter flew to Edmonton to have a face-to-face meeting with Bouwmeester.

Seems pretty similar to me.

I'm just impressed they could get connecting flights through Calgary on such late notice. Must have paid most of Strudwick's salary on those tickets.

64. PDO says:

KatzCash hasn't bought a private jet yet?

Oh, yeah. Good point. I keep thinking it's Pocklington's team. GM would be in the back of a sausage truck on his way in the old days. Sudbury by Sunday!

66. Deano says:

Heatley is from Calgary, no?

67. R O says:

YKOil:

Weren't you a fan of the way Calgary dealt with Bouwmeester?

Seems pretty similar to me.

That was when they had exclusive negotiating rights.

68. bookie says:

Anyone think that Heatley believes a new world opens up for him after 12 Eastern?

The Sens believe that there is only 1 deal out there right now, but thats cause they want trading partners to cough up $4 mil. In another 3 hours the Oilers $ advantage dries up and other teams are back in the market.

Sucks for Ottawa, but may give Heatley more options…

69. Coach pb9617 says:

Idiots.

It's a bad fucking idea, you morons. Just let it go. Concentrate on Tanguay or Gagne.

70. Deano says:

coach

This is not going to stop until Katz lands one.

71. Jesse says:

Maybe the Oiler brass are deciding whether they're still interested….probably not.

72. PDO says:

That was when they had exclusive negotiating rights.

Seems to be what the Oilers have with Heatley right now.

Bouwmeester was getting money where ever he went.

Heatley is getting his money regardless of where he plays.

So then it's about everything else.

73. bookie says:

Anyone else get the feeling that Katzlowabilini may slip a Rohypnol into Heatley's drink and have him propped up in an Oiler's Jersey at a 2am press conference?

74. DBO says:

Neil 4 yrs $8 mill to ottawa
    Gionta 5 yrs $5 mill [per to montreal. Montreal is crazy

75. Deano says:

This does make we want to take a shower and get the ick off.

76. Anonymous says:

I think Heatley lives in Kelowna in the off season.

If that is where he is, and they left an hour agao, they could be talking to him face to face right now.

77. bookie says:

Ok, to be fair to the Oilers (its been more fun not to be fair) the Triple H line looks pretty awesome.

It may be worth a little prostitution to get it…

PDO – as much as I am mostly joking, it is starting to get a little silly with the Oilers always pressing so hard with the personal touch and always going home with the ugly and/or overpaying.

78. DBO says:

Eklund saying Heatly deal now done. But that fuck stick is usually wrong so who knows

79. Jesse says:

The Montreal Pee-Wees:

Cammalleri (5'9 185
    Gomez (5'11. 200
    Gionta (5'7, 175)

80. Deano says:

… and Gaborik for 5 @7.5!!!

unreal.

He is going to have very little travel though.

81. bookie says:

The unfortunate thing is that I think that the Oilers likely won't be able to wiggle Cogliano out of the deal unless they are gutsy enough to hardball Ottawa a little.

It seems like they are too busy with Heatley to be able to do that.

82. Coach pb9617 says:

Daryl Katz knows there is a white whale out there somewhere.

83. goldenchild says:

Im thrilled we avoided the Neil landmine. Oh and that Bob Gainy isnt my GM.

The Heatley press conference is going to be super awkward, like one of those hostage videos where they are forced to say everything is great but their eyes are full of agony.

If he doesnt ok this is there another Penner to Ott deal that could happen?

84. Gerta Rauss says:

'thar she blows..!!!

85. PDO says:

John Madden a Blackhawk.

1 year, 2.75.

That's a shocker, and a hell of a signing.

Toews – Sharp – Madden down the middle.

Wow.

86. Coach pb9617 says:

I'm starting to get raged up at these fucksticks.

I need more gin.

Sjostrom to Flames.

Donner, party of five!

88. robert cleave says:

And Bolland, too, PDO.

89. Chris says:

I know I said some nice things about Chris Neil earlier but he's not worth any more than a million and a half for what he can do for this team. We don't need another over paid roleplayer.

Did the Habs sign little people?

91. Deano says:

LT – lol

92. Coach pb9617 says:

Sjostrom to Flames.

Donner, party of five!

Fire the owner.

Jobu needs a refill.

Maybe if we sacrifice a chicken this will stop.

93. Deano says:

Circumstances do seem to be forcing a reluctant Heatley to Edmonton.

Suck it up buttercups.

94. DanMan says:

Heatley Gagner Hemsky

The HGH line. That should give us an unfair advantage, no?

95. goldenchild says:

"Little People Big Dough" a new show in TLC about Les Habitants

96. Lord Bob says:

Circumstances do seem to be forcing a reluctant Edmonton to last in the Northwest Division. Tambellini! Have you ever watched a hockey game in your life?Or do you just watch SportsCentre and assume they show the important bits?

97. Chris says:

I agree with the suggestions that Dominic Moore, and Manny Maholtra would look good on this roster. We will have to make some room but we need another real centre, prefferably two.

And coach the line about Katz knowing there is a white whale out there somewhere cracked me up.

98. Alice says:

I'm not understanding how you 'ask for a trade' but manage to maintain your NTC for purposes of veto in selecting your destination. I agree w a previous poster who said asking for a trade should effectively kill the NTC

And.
    I know this may come out in the wash as Heatley's doing, but how does Murray float our guys names out there while he's still courting offers? You put Penner/Cogs/Smid out there publicly, you've bought them. If you're not final on it then Our names shouldn't be coming out of Your mouth, fella. Should be a league policy.

You know, the Heatley trade is the one I'm unhappy with to be honest. The goalie is an overpay but you know this is a new GM and the coach wants an established goalie and I get that. We can talk about (and MC wrote a beauty post at his site) about the plethora of goalies out there but Tambellini had his targets and we kind of got an idea this might happen when the Giguere rumors were out there.

Would it be my choice? Hell no. I'd rather trade for Vokoun if expensive goalies were needed. But I do understand the idea that you get an established veteran. I also object to the dollars, term and the fact that the money stays on the cap no matter.

But that's less of an issue for me.

The Heatley deal is giving up something more valuable than cap dollars (young, developing assets) for a guy who might come here and ask for a trade by the deadline.

But I like that they've signed two veterans today and hope they'll sign a few more.

100. Chris says:

If I was any good with photoshop I'd do a picture of Gomez, Gionta and Camelari with Hall Gill as Boromire saying "We must save the little ones!"

101. R O says:

Heatley Gagner Hemsky

The HGH line. That should give us an unfair advantage, no?

Debatable. Gagner's not a reliable 5v5 player yet. Even if the line does outpower the opposition (or, alternatively, if you substitute Horcoff for Gagner), that's only 20 minutes a night. It's the other 40 minutes you should worry about.

102. Rick says:

LT – Not sure if any of us are especially happy with a Heatley deal right now.

And I could take or leave Smid, especially with Grebs in the fold, but losing Cogliano on something like this really irks me.

103. bookie says:

Fire the owner.

Jobu needs a refill.

Maybe if we sacrifice a chicken this will stop.

I just scarified a chicken, lets see how it turns out…

Well, really, I ate a chicken that someone up the KFC line sacrificed, but market economics explains that the chicken would not have been sitting at KFC if I hadn't been about to demand a chicken, so its the same as if I sacrificed it.

104. Deano says:

It could be argued that Khabby was the best goalie available and Heatley was the best forward.

I am not saying that I agree, but that does seem to be how these guys are thinking.

Was Neil the best rugged guy too?

105. Backhand says:

* Denis Grebeshkov $3,200,000
    Steve Staios $2,700,000
    Jason Strudwick $700,000

GOALTENDERS
    Nikolai Khabibulin $3,750,000
    Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers $625,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (including bonuses)
    ROSTER SIZE 21
    SALARY CAP $56,800,000
    PAYROLL $57,712,500
    BONUS MONEY (ESTIMATED) (1.3% of cap) $750,000
    CAP ROOM $-912,500
    CAP ROOM PER OPEN SPOT $0

This is what i'm getting with the Heatley trade…I'm not sure if Gagner's bonuses count ahead of time?

106. robert cleave says:

The HGH line

R O, I'm guessing PED joke there.

107. Gerta Rauss says:

I just scarified a chicken, lets see how it turns out…

Just be thankful it was a chicken,bookie,we had the Donner party in the house earlier.

108. Chris says:

I think the most frustrating thing about this team is that it is obsessed with grand gestures of late and resists more simple step by step moves which would make this slowly but surely a better hockey club. We want a magic bullet like a Pronger or a Hossa as opposed to some vetran defensemen, roleplayers or good two way forwards.

109. Rick says:

Backhand:

While that is quite top-heavy, IMO in that scenario, one of the puck movers would go to clear cap room for other additions.

And I'd even think Moreau or Pisani could be out too. $2M for what they gave us last year was too much.

110. Rick says:

Oh, and Nilsson is a prime candidate to be stashed in Springfield.

And that's my point. This reminds me of the "Herzog/Weaver" lesson for all of us: there's more than one way to skin a rabbit.

I've been ranting for 3 years now about having actual NHL players on the roster and honestly Tambellini has brought O'Sullivan, Heatley and Khabibulin (to replace Roloson) since the deadline. Plus Strudwick is an end of the roster guy.

If they signed Betts and a veteran winger with grit then we could talk about having real depth.

So, it's not my choice but there are some good things and the team will be more experienced if they keep going along this line.

Wish they could have been more balanced (and brought the kids along more slowly) 2006-09 though. We're going to miss Cogliano is my bet. Big time.

112. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, how much does a 30 second ad on your station run?

Do you air rants if they are paid for?

I work at Magic 99 now, Coach. Jazz format. No rants. :-)

114. Chris says:

Can we somehow make a trade for the rights to Scott Howeson back?

115. Coach pb9617 says:

Betts or Yelle for the third line.

Sjostrom would have been nice, but there are still vets out there.

If you want to make a splash, get Tanguay. We're Leafs fans now.

Another Gin and Tonic, sir. I have jungle duty in the morning.

Chris: A lot of this is ownership. Coach is right. We've taken a huge turn since Katz took over and imagine we'll be suffering for awhile.

It's all good. The Red Wings made all kinds of mistakes when their current owner took over many years ago.

117. Deano says:

It is frustrating, but its not dull – in a soap-opera sort-of-way.

118. Coach pb9617 says:

I work at Magic 99 now, Coach. Jazz format. No rants.

I could easily make this a spoken word rant. Those have real pain in them, not just anger.

119. DBO says:

So if we can avoid the Heatley mess, would we still move Souray to provide cap flexibility? Would you move Souray to a San Jose for Clowe, and then sign a 3rd line centre (betts) and Beauchemin. then flip Smid and Cogs for Gagne? I will continue to beat this drum until the brass say yes!

120. PDO says:

Just say no to Clowe.

121. Anonymous says:

Well, looks like the "braintrust" landed in Kelowna just a few minutes ago…

122. DBO says:

And with sjosterm? signing in Calgary for $.750 cap hit for 2 years, I would be really happy if tambellini signed Goc who was not tendered by SJ. He's a physical 3rd/4th line centre who wins faceoffs and is still young enough to improve.

123. Rick says:

DBO – I'd prefer Gilbert & a prospect to LA for Johnson and an inexpensive 3rd/4th forward.

But that Souray deal part of your post would work too…

124. gogliano says:

Ha! Good job on the flight tracking. I'm not sure why Heatley might have concerns about playing in a fishbowl.

125. Dennis says:

Now that the Rags have blown their wad on Gabby there's no bloody way we should keep 13 in that package.

I'm really not sure how I feel about the Heatley package. I really don't want to give up on Cogs and I don't like the pact DH brings with him but it would be nice to have a scorer to root for and to lean on.

126. DanMan says:

I like Goc because of the offensive potential.

But I'm much more concerned with improving the top 6 than the bottom 6.

To say that you dont want this trade to happen is saying you dont want to trade last years 3rd center, our top LW who is better on the second line and our #6 d-man for a top 5 nhl LW with back to back 50 goal seasons on the resume.

Thats ridiculous.

A top player will help our team vastly more than 3rd/4th centers and "real" nhl players who suck too much for their respective teams to keep them.

I dont want castoffs like blair betts or sjostrom. I think we need to develop the 3rd and 4th line from within.

127. knighttown says:

Calgary has had a great couple of days. I read over on Tyler's site a pretty strong rant form Sutter about how a few years ago when Calgary was pretty good but couldn't score, they believed the rumours and moved defense for offense. Two coaches who bled goals later and Sutter declared that defensive hockey was going to be back in Calgary in 2009-10.

-World Class Coach in Sutter
    -best Top 4 in hockey with J-Bo, Regehr, Phaneuf and Sarich.
    -wonderful array of bottom sixers in Sjostrom, Glencross, Bourque, Nystrom, Boyd, Moss
    -excellent power-vs-power Top 6ers in Iginla, Langkow and even Jokinen.

I think we're looking at a Cup contender…

128. Jonathan Willis says:

The Wild are close to signing Havlat – source: Michael Russo.

129. Psyche says:

If that is Katz's jet it is sweet! Maybe they'll take Heatley for a flight and threaten to toss him out if he won't waive the NMC.

Dennis: I don't think the deal can be altered. Don't ask me how I know this, must have read it somewhere.

131. Lord Bob says:

Well, having gotten rid of their former injury-riddled Czechoslovak who's never won anything, the Wild have clearly learned their lesson.

That plane looks just like a Greyhound bus inside.

133. knighttown says:

Bruce, I think we need a ferfuxsakes!

Last year was the down year in the Northwest me thinks, and we fucking blew it. Now Calgary are beasts, Van-city is a notch ahead (with cap room still, no?), Colorado has a beauty rebuild starting and Minnesota is getting off the mat.

We talk a lot about Columbus here but that Minnesota team is a sleeping giant. great ownership. They sell out every night but were limited on free agent signings in the past because of their style of play. Fletch Jr. swears they'll be more entertaining which, to my mind, makes them a Top 10 team for any free agent after a few years of proving themselves.

134. kurri_17 says:

LaBarbara to Phoenix on TSN

135. Coach pb9617 says:

So, I have Yelle, Foster, Betts, Tollefson, Malhotra still on the radar.

I'm ignoring our fanboy owner and his ridiculous stunts and hoping that Heatley thinks he looks exactly like Martin Short and Martin Short creeps him out.

136. Smarmy Boss says:

lol CGY a cup contender? Might win a round.

137. DanMan says:

I really cant see a team with Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky as the top 2 offensive players winning anything.

Just a thought

138. Rick says:

Martin Short. LOL :)

"I MUST SAY!" Does he have an Ed Grimley haircut too?

139. Psyche says:

LT, that's one pimped out Greyhound bus you were on. Lol.

140. Rick says:

While I still prefer Horcoff on the #2 line – both in real live and in EA NHL, Hemsky and Heatley on the same line would be amazing.

So, let me get this straight: LOWE is in the meeting???

"you know, Dany, one time I had a deal to send Mike Comrie away and said he could go to Anaheim but he needed to give his bonus money back. We're not asking for money, we're GIVING it! Or, is it me? It's ME isn't it?"

142. Coach pb9617 says:

I can't be the only one that thinks Katz looks like Martin Short , can I?

143. kurri_17 says:

144. DanMan says:

So, I have Yelle, Foster, Betts, Tollefson, Malhotra still on the radar.

Shooting for the (AHL) stars

145. goldenchild says:

I like Coach's list, but like I said yesterday Guys that make their money selling drugs like shiny things, and that list doesnt have enough bling. Heatley is a watch by Jacob the Jewler.

146. Anonymous says:

Kevin Lowe is probably there to threaten to kick him off the Olympic team if he doesn't sign with EDM

147. HBomb says:

knighttown: Did you just say that Olli Jokinen is an excellent power vs. power player?

I'd question that statement on the surface. That guy screams "soft minute exploiter" to me. Always has, always will. Calgary's best chance of success is to do something Keenan never did – play a bitchin' power vs. power line of Bourque-Langkow-Iginla with a reliable 3rd line of Glencross-Conroy-Moss.

148. PDO says:

H:

Backlund – Jokinen – Bertuzzi 2nd line?

The NW is a fucking arms race right now.

149. bookie says:

I would suspect that Katz would not be doing this unless the hockey minds that worked for him agreed with it.

150. HBomb says:

PDO: Only if they can get Bertuzzi to come back at half price.

I would say Backlund-Jokinen-Boyd or something like that.

151. bookie says:

The whole problem with the "You're special and we really want YOU to play for the Oilers line being used by Katz and Lowe" is that Heatley probably has read about the Oilers using that same line on Hossa, Jagr, and others already.

152. Lord Bob says:

The Oilers are just full of special, special people.

Take that how you will.

153. PDO says:

Bookie:

Good thing he's not smart enough to read.

154. Anonymous says:

Oilers president Kevin Lowe and GM Steve Tambellini meeting with Heatley and agent shortly in Kelowna, BC

155. kurri_17 says:

ewwww, sloppy seconds

156. Lord Bob says:

Well, kurri_17's suspended, guys!

157. Psyche says:

bookie: Heatley can read?

158. PDO says:

Havlat goes to Minny.

159. Coach pb9617 says:

Rick, Heatley and Hemsky sounds nice, but someone still needs to do the real work.

I've repeatedly heard on ON and HF and sometimes here that you can pick up tough minutes outscoring centers for a pittance. Clearly that would be "someone". Catch up Jari.

Come on second hand, spin.

Katz opens by saying "Give me a break Daeeee kneee. You're so totally decent I must say"

160. kurri_17 says:

PDO, where did you hear about Havlat?

IMHO he misses less games than Gaborik going forward… and hence a better choice

161. bookie says:

The Free Agent vs Non-Free Agent market confuses me.

Logic suggests that Free Agents should command a much much higher salary than non-free agents given that they are tied to a team and that in order to get them you need to give up other players.

It seems however, that at the top end, guys like Heatley make the same whether they are FAs or not (Heatley=Hossa).

So Hossa costs something like 7.5 million a year (hard to tell with these 12 year contracts what's real) and Heatley does as well, but to get Heatley you have to sacrifice the future of your team.

I guess what I am saying is Hossa should cost about 1-2 million more a year than Heatley, but he doesnt.

Why?

162. Psyche says:

Als are up 14-0 on Calgary. Nice to know not everything is perfect in Cowtown this week.

163. kurri_17 says:

LOL – Yes, i've read that an awful lot myself. Hopefully some of those posters make it into Oiler management :-)

164. Lord Bob says:

Well, bookie, the specific answer to your question is "because the Ottawa Senators sniff model airplane glue."

In general terms, you'll find RFAs do tend to make less than equivalent UFAs – though the disparity isn't as great as it used to be. Unless I'm mistaken, Heatley signed his albatross of a contract when he was up for unrestricted free agency, so he was taking what everyone thought would end up being market value anyway.

165. Coach pb9617 says:

Tyler:

combined save percentages rank in the NHL since the lockout based on qualifed goalies with more than a single season.

I tried posting at your site, but I get "Sorry, you can only post a new comment once every 15 seconds. Slow down cowboy." every time I try to post.

166. bookie says:

Lord Bob – That makes sense to me. There are other examples though. Its just surprising how illogical the management of things at this level are.

167. mc79hockey says:

Coach – you need to put in an email address.

168. PDO says:

Kurri:

Dreger's Twitter.

Basically good as gold.

169. bookie says:

Given that we likley have 1.5 hours to kill, let me ask another stupid question.

What's the plan with all of these long term Hossa-like contracts (Detroit has a few of these)? It seems to be 'sacrifice the cap room in the future to win now'. Sure next year they have a cheap Hossa, but in 11 years they have a crazy expensive Hossa.

Is there some fancy cap rule that they can use to get out of these contracts? Can they buy him out for the last three years with no cap hit (cause the contract was signed before he was 35)

Learn me good!

170. kurri_17 says:

Thanks PDO

I gotta "get wit it" – I only signed up for twitter yesterday :-)

171. bookie says:

Twitter is the pet rock of 2009!

172. PDO says:

Bookie:

Hossa retires in 7.

Everyone else:

Katz is there with Lowe and Tambs according to Stauffer.

173. Schitzo says:

Bookie: buyouts would count against the cap, but reiriring or the AHL would not

174. Scott says:

bookie:

The assumption is that the player will retire before those final years happen, meaning no cap dollars (signed the contract prior to age 35) and few real dollars (most of those contracts end with a few very cheap years).

If they don't retire (those bastards!) then they can be traded to non-cap teams as, again, the actual salary owed will be quite low.

175. PDO says:

Kurri:

I haven't signed up.

I just found the good ones and refresh.

I know I'll never look at it again until trade deadline day anyway.

176. Coach pb9617 says:

Damn. I didn't realize it disappeared. I had a long comment about NBA vs. NHL salary structure that got eaten by that eff up.

177. Gerta Rauss says:

Do you think they stopped at Scandia on the way to Heatley's place?

178. bookie says:

Gotcha, so they are essentially a loophole contract. Something the league will have to close up.

179. Schitzo says:

Do you think they stopped at Scandia on the way to Heatley's place?

They should swing by that restaurant built on the grave of Flintstones World.

180. Coach pb9617 says:

Katz is there with Lowe and Tambs according to Stauffer.

Hm. Katz is Ahab, Tambellini is Ishmael, Heatley is Dick, er Moby Dick. Who is Lowe in this saga?

181. Gerta Rauss says:

I've wondered what happened to 40ft Fred…

182. Schitzo says:

Lowe is the ocean.

183. Schitzo says:

Gerta: Suspended from the rafters in that restaurant. Seriously.

184. Gerta Rauss says:

Huh…have they got an earlybird in case Quinn is on the next road trip..?

185. PDO says:

Sportsnet reporting that Dany Heatley is currently serving Katz, Tambs and Lowe tea.

The kind of tea has yet to be mentioned, nor has the brand…

186. Anonymous says:

Katz if offering up his jet to Chauffeur Heater to and from all games and practices so he doesn't have to ACTUALLY LIVE in Edmonton. Or maybe his own chopper, and they will install a landing pad on the roof of Rexall place so he doesn't even have to ever step on Edmonton soil! Whatever it takes right? Is there something in the CBA against that???

187. Deano says:

anon

You don't appear to be familiar with Derek Sanderson's WHA deal….

188. Jonathan Willis says:

Six years, 30-million dollars for Havlat in Minnesota (source: Russo).

189. PDO says:

As long as Havlat didn't get his eggs scrambled, that's a fantastic deal for Minny.

Fuck.

190. Sean says:

Thats a great deal for Minny. How is Gaborik worth 7.5 then?

191. HBomb says:

Havlat and Zanon, with perhaps Saku Koivu still to come.

Good day for the Wild.

192. knighttown says:

Bookie:

Your UFA vs. trades comment.

The asset your missing in your equation is Cap Space. For example, signing Gaborik for 7.5 million is more attractive than trading Cogs, Penner and Smid for Heatley at 7.5 million.

Yes, that's true but in a Cap world you need to then move that 7.5 million, so if we'd signed Gaborik we'd likely have seen Souray gone for prospects/picks.

The next phase of the salary dump is the addition of the first rounder as NJ did a few years ago with Vladamir Malakhov. If I recall correctly, they traded Malakhov and a first rounder for Alex Koryluk and like, Jim Fahey or something. Koryluk was in Europe and never coming back and Fahey was San Jose's Brian Young. In effect, Lou gave SJ a first rounder to take Malakhov's awful salary.

This is why some of the trades lately have shocked me especially the Gomez one. That contract is the type of contract in which I'd have thought they'd have to trade him AND two first rounder to Brian Burke for Anton Stralman. Yet Bob Gainey gives away a decent asset in Higgins and an excellent prospect in Ryan McDonough just for the honour of holding that albatross.

Of course, then he trades for Papa, Brainey and Jokey Smurf which just proves he's completely lost his mind.

193. Schitzo says:

Fuck, I feel bad for Cogs and Smid being left on the hook to squirm all day.

194. kurri_17 says:

wow, Minny did well there all things considered. Sounds like they made the "you have an injury history" argument better than Sather did

195. Dennis says:

6/30 for Havlat and you don't give up assets and we're blowing our brains out to give up Cogs for Heatley?

AND Lowe's meeting with him instead of Quinn?

Give me a fucking break.

196. bookie says:

just cause we still have 54 minutes to kill…from Wikipedia.

Several small tourist attractions and/or camper parks have been built in honor of Bedrock. The most famous and oldest is Bedrock City in Custer, South Dakota which opened in 1966 and is still around. There is also a Bedrock City in Valle, Arizona which opened in 1972. Two Canadian Bedrock Cities, both in British Columbia, were closed and/or demolished in the late 1990s. One in Kelowna, British Columbia was closed in 1998, demolished and changed into the Landmark Grand 10 multiplex theatre & a strip mall. The second one located in Chilliwack, British Columbia was closed in 1994 and was changed into a dinosaur theme park called "Dinotown".

The reason for the closure of the two Canadian theme parks was due to licensing. "Throughout the '80s and '90s the licensing for any intellectual properties of Hanna-Barbera changed hands numerous times before they ended up in the possession of Time Warner"

197. mc79hockey says:

Second what Dennis is saying, although Heater has a solid health history.

198. Sean says:

Fuck, I feel bad for Cogs and Smid being left on the hook to squirm all day.

Whats worse, hitting refresh on twitter all day or nailing Edmonton's finest on your way out of town?

199. knighttown says:

Looking a little further into the Habs situation, their current depth chart:

Gomez-Gionta-Cammaleri
    Plekanec-Kovalev-Kostitsyn

or

5'10"-5'9"-5'7"
    5'11"-6'1"-6'0"

And their 3rd defenseman may be Josh Gorges.

And we thought we had problems…

200. Bruce says:

I think we need to develop the 3rd and 4th line from within.

I agree with this. This is why you invest at bats in guys like Kyle Brodziak. At least, so goes the theory.

Newer Comments »