Ciphering

This is going to be a moving target that could change throughout the evening (Heatley could approve trade, Neil apparently is mulling an offer from the Oildrop) but this gives us a nice line in the sand with regard to the current roster and where we are in relation to the salary cap. The cap is currently $56,800,000 for the 09-10 season and the numbers below (cap #) are courtesty nhlsalaries.com.

GOALIES

5. MacIntyre .537

RIGHT WING

1. Hemsky 4.1
  2. Nilsson 2.0
  3. Pisani 2.5
  4. Stortini .7

23 players, total cap dollars sit at 55,387,000. Oilers have about 1.4M in room if my estimates (and math) are spot on. I like this roster moving forward much more than the Heatley roster. It’s a bit top heavy (the top 8 earners will bring in $35.5M, which is about 63%) and the team needs help at center and a scorer on LW. I’ll keep this updated throughout the evening.

471 Responses to "Ciphering"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. rider guy says:

Dennis,

I would imagine Lowe's seeing if Heatley would be interested in doing the breakfast circuit with him this summer and trying to sell him on the vision of the new arena.

2. Anonymous says:

Not much depth in that depth chart.

3. Anonymous says:

Lowe's there to present the plans for the new arena in Kelowna.

4. bookie says:

If the Heatley deal falls through and Katz and co have to return with tails between their legs, do you think they will be cured of big game hunting?

I think they are trying so hard because it would be mucho embarrassing to fail again.

The way these things go, I suspect we will hear that Calgary signed Kotalik about 5 minutes before we hear that Heatley is not coming to the Oil…

5. kurri_17 says:

Looks like the flight home scheduled for 12:01am EST

6. HBomb says:

Bookie: there's gotta be a plan "B" between "Heatley" and "Kotalik".

Hoping it is "Frolov", "Gagne", or even "Michalek".

7. Deano says:

That looks like talking right to the deadline – not actually closing the deal, which would involve a drink afterwards.

8. TK10 says:

Coach: Lowe is Queequeg, he harpoons the Whoils.

9. Bar Qu says:

HBomb,

Who else is left out there for forward possibilities as a Heatley alternative? Obviously not in pure offensive quality, but other strengths.

10. PDO says:

I'm pretty sure if you own the plane you can delay the flight… that's the whole point!

11. bookie says:

They can leave late even if they file a flight plan for a specific time (I believe).

You can learn a lot about Dany Heatley's smarts here.

12. HBomb says:

Bar Qu: the other options out there are all down the trade route. The A-list offensive UFA's are all spoken for. Besides, given our cap situation, the trade route might be the only route.

I like Simon Gagne myself.

13. goldenchild says:

If Frolov and Gagne are plan B they are better than plan A.

14. oilerdago says:

According to Pierre LeBrun, the meeting is over and Heatley is now "mulling it over".

I think Tanguay is still about, and there's still Gagne in Philly.

I'd also like to suggest the Oilers back up all the kids by signing one veteran C (Betts), one veteran RW to push Nilsson and cover for Pisani when he's down, and then another D from the Hedja tree to push back Peckham?

16. Anonymous says:

No hurry. Sleep on it dude.

17. bookie says:

One thing to consider is that these deals often have some picks tied to them (often conditional) that we don't hear of until after they are made.

There could be some additional assets coming our way.

18. HBomb says:

I said this last night (I think), but if this doesn't happen by 10pm, it doesn't happen at all.

19. goldenchild says:

If someone flew to see Manny Moholtra I promise you he would sign and I dont care if its Joey Moss that you send.

20. Lord Bob says:

Yeah, you have more faith in Tambs than I do, bookie. If anything, I'm expecting Bryan Murray to turn around and start crowing about "five assets!"

21. bookie says:

is link for pierre lebrun

22. Bar Qu says:

there's still Gagne in Philly

Here's hoping they are more interested in Nilsson than Cogliano.

23. Anonymous says:

I told you. I wake up every day, right here, right in Edmonton, and it's always July 1st, and there's nothing I can do about it.

24. Bar Qu says:

Another excellent movie quote from Anon

25. Showerhead says:

Home from work, sitting on the balcony, sun's gone down and now the moon is shining over this little tourist town.

And I'm going to spend the next half hour hitting F5 just to see some goddamn denouement. Oh the joy of being an Oiler fan in 2009.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

Swerve me? The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush!

27. Gerta Rauss says:

I'm wearing a bag over my head at work tomorrow,irrespective of how this turns out.

28. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: Lowe is Queequeg, he harpoons the Whoils.

Are you cracking wise on Penner?

29. PDO says:

Best possible scenario:

Heatley is PISSED that there isn't more interest, accepts a trade to Edmonton and spends the Summer working his tail off, and wants to prove that he's one of the elite in the NHL.

… which leads to a good experience for both sides.

30. goldenchild says:

If this doesnt go well today, is the next flight to Russia?

31. HBomb says:

PDO: True best possible scenario.

He says no, we turn around and snag Gagne for Penner straight up, Moreau, Staios and Nisson go for draft picks, and we sign Malholtra and Travis Moen tomorrow.

32. bookie says:

PDO – What's the worst case scenario?

33. Coach pb9617 says:

Philly can't take that cap hit back.

34. Showerhead says:

PDO: Your blue sky is simultaneously as pretty as Scarlett Johansson and as unlikely as me ever sleeping with her. Carry on though, I like the thought :)

35. DBO says:

Oh PDO, you make me happy. And now back to reality. he moves into penner's old place, looks in the fridge and likes what he sees and gets er done. Donairs from High Voltage and he's a 250 lb winger. Although he'd still score 35, which is a far cry from what we've had.

36. HBomb says:

Coach: They'd drop a million in cap if we offered them that. Theoretically they could. Theoretically!

37. PDO says:

Bookie:

He says yes, but doesn't want to be here. Sulks. Scores 30 goals, and demands a trade next summer.

38. DBO says:

Gagne won't go for penner, but maybe for Cogs and a prospect. I'd take that. you can still move a dman for flexibility, and you sign a 3rd line centre and go from there. then deal Penner for Volchenkov (Murray likes him).

39. Rick says:

So, looks like Heatley's stretching this out to the last minute too…

40. Oilman says:

man it pisses me off when people start crowing about the deals guys signed in other cities and say "we could have got so and so for that and we're still chasing heatley?" No! We couldn't have! We couldn't get Hossa for $9mil a year and Chicago gets him for 5 and change. We couldn't get Boumeester, we couldn't get Havlat, we couldn't get Camaleri or the Sedins. You think if Edmonton offered Gaborik $8mil per he'd take it over the $7.5 he gets in NY? Shit – the guy that want's a trade and had Edmonton on his list is waiting till 11:59 to see if Phoenix or Tampa suddenly jumps in. It's obviously not that easy to improve this team through free agency.

41. Coach pb9617 says:

Marge, I agree with you — in theory. In theory, communism works. In theory.

I'm guessing you'd need something like Cogliano and Peckham to make that work. And then you need to dump salary left and right.

42. bookie says:

Bookie:

Added to that, he publicly demands a trade and only has one team on his list that he is willing to be traded to – The Toronto Maple Leafs.

43. DBO says:

Gregor reported the meeting ended half an hour ago or so. Heatley meeting with family and agent. Here's hoping he decides to be a man and stay in ottawa.

44. bookie says:

Oilman – you are correct. As I said earlier, the Oilers brass are desperate to change the leaguewide view of this team (which is currently mickey mouse) and the only way to do that is to win for a few years.

45. DBO says:

dreger reporting heatley may not make decision tonight. LOL. walk away.

46. oilerdago says:

Dreger saying Heatley won't make up his mind.

We dodge another bullet.

Whew.

47. digger says:

Tencer's now reporting that according to TSN, Heatley won't be making a decision tonight, which would mean Ottawa just got 4 million clams poorer.

**** me.

48. rider guy says:

Dreger saying that Heatley doesn't think he'll make a decision tonight.

49. bookie says:

oilerdago – and look like chumps…

Time to build with what we have. Lets see what Penner can do with better coaching. Lets see what Cogs can become.

Best possible news. Nix the deal and regroup.

51. Oilman says:

Gregor reporting Kevin Lowe beats Heatley into a coma….led away in handcuffs muttering "Is it me? Is it me?"

52. Bar Qu says:

How are these reporters getting their information? Do they have listening devices in his house?

53. bookie says:

LT – I agree, but it sure would have been better for our rep if none of it ever happened. This trend is getting pretty damn ugly.

54. goldenchild says:

For the love of god walk away, please walk away.

55. Coach pb9617 says:

Thank god. Walk the hell away from this Ahab. Don't turn around, do not look back.

If you want a splash – get Tanguay for something less than five and get Betts and a forward. Then dump salary. Just stop this madness.

56. Anonymous says:

I don't know who's dumber: Heatley for not accepting the only deal in front of him or the management team that is STILL trying get him to come. Oh wait, I'm the dumb one because I wasted TWO nights in a row on this douchebag

57. oilerdago says:

Bookie: No doubt we look like chumps here as once again, a star does not want a trade to Edmonton.

So when is management going to realize that you build through the draft and stop trying to do things patchwork that make you look stupid (and reflect badly on the community)?

58. Spot The Loon says:

My preference would be for the team to let this one die. Move on. There are other options available through trade and signing some lower priced free agents. After all, the only centre we have no with a winning percentage in the faceoff circle is Horc. Apparently, they count on him to take every draw now. That is one way to earn the big bucks. :-)

59. R O says:

I wonder what happened with Havlat. Here is his Twitter, which hints at a sudden rift with management:

60. Lord Bob says:

oilerdago: From 1976 until 1987 or so, actually.

For god's sake, let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories about the deaths of kings.

61. Rick says:

Sorry, but poor teams build through the draft. Teams like Atlanta and Florida.

Other teams improve themselves via trades/FA, why can't Edmonton?

62. speeds says:

LT:

You're just like me, can't imagine it'll get worse.

Who's to say the Oilers don't increase their offer now that they save 4 mil, and that Heatley doesn't grudgingly accept in a week once OTT makes clear their disapproval with no other suitor?

63. bookie says:

Can Katz give Ottawa $25 million to sit in the pressbox for 5 years. Just personal cash, not an NHL deal.

I hope that there is some Oiler pride somewhere that rises up and the team proves themselves this year.

64. Coach pb9617 says:

Minnesota is going to win this division. Best of luck to the Calgary Flames this season.

65. Lord Bob says:

speeds: And then Heatley blows a ligament in an accidental knee-on-knee hit with Ales Hemsky that sends him flying into Sam Gagner, breaking his back?

66. oilerdago says:

//Look at Chicago. They got a few pieces from the draft but signed Campbell, Havlak and Khabibuiln as the centerpieces of the club.//

Rick, quite the contrary. Chicago signed a bunch of free agents coming out of the lockout and was still lousy. It was not until the draft picks they harvested from all those lousy seasons that they turned the corner.

Look at baseball, look at hockey, you build through the draft and then add the one or two parts to put you over the top and you build for the long-term.

67. Showerhead says:

Midnight.

68. Lord Bob says:

Trade didn't happen! Thank god! Now we can move on with dealing with this team's other mortal problems!

69. Anonymous says:

Heatley obviously doesn't want to come to the oil. Midnight tonight means nothing to him as he could care less who pays the 4 million. He gets it either way. If the deal falls through, there is still 3 months for Ottawa to find a deal before the season starts. You know some team that he is willing to play for more than Edmonton will eventually step up and make a deal. Ottawa must move him and heatley knows it.

70. goldenchild says:

I dont want to say I told u so but they should of walked away last night,they deserved to get treated like this again. Have some pride walk away.

71. bookie says:

Seriously, if the Oil continue to pursue this, they have 0% pride.

Sounds like Ottawa has some major issues with Heatley. I think it's best to move along and hire another player or make a trade.

73. Darren says:

Do you think the oil have pride left still? Anyone?

74. oilerdago says:

Anyone have Malhotra's number? I hear he'd be good 3C?

75. bookie says:

To be honest, one of the ways things that really can build your pride up is when you are shit on so bad that you have to stand up for yourself.

BUT

We are doomed if Penner and Cogs publicly demand to be traded next week.

76. dwillms says:

RT @thefourthperiod:

Just received 100% confirmation from person with Heatley… No decision made. Sens on hook for $4M bonus.

77. DBO says:

OK. There's no way we take him now right? So our needs now:
    - checking line centre
    options: Dominic Moore (54% faceoff, 13 goals and he's 29. Might get him for less then $2 mill)
    - Vet dman: Beauchemin (can play top 4, can get him for $3 mill. Get him if you move a dman for a top LW)
    - Top LW: not much now. If Gagne is there then make a play for him. if not, sign a fedotenko (size and clutch scorer) for $2 mill for 1 year.

go to battle, save cap space for next year and i still say we make the playoffs with pretty much the same team.

78. goldenchild says:

Cogs is young he'll be fine, If Penner had that kind of pride or fight in him we wouldnt be trying to trade him. they'll be fine

79. bookie says:

DBO – I think that this is a playoff bound team as a result of the change in coaching. I think we will see a playing style change that will suit the bodies that we have.

80. pboy says:

You have to see the humor in this. We've dodged a huge bullet with this guy and it's time to move on to Plan B. Luckily for the Oil, Plan B is better than Plan A was.

81. kurri_17 says:

We are doomed if Penner and Cogs publicly demand to be traded next week.

I don't think it will be too bad — they were supposed to be traded for a 50 goal scorer and they were desired commodities… It's not like they were getting traded for prospects or a third liner. I'd hope they would understand.

82. Darren says:

What does that say for the management group here?

83. kurri_17 says:

Thanks DBO
    I was trying to think of the centres we could go after aside from Malholtra

84. pboy says:

I just want the Oil to re-sign Kotalik so I can enjoy the IceCastle's link all season….

85. Smarmy Boss says:

Basically, every other sniper signed. The Oilers should make a worse offer now. The only thing about this arbitrary date is that it cost Melnyk 4 million instead of Katz.

86. kurri_17 says:

Yup, back to Kotalik
    i think we have a playoff team next year as is – with some salary cap throw aways (Nilsson?) and signing a faceoff centre and a depth forward who is NHL ready (like Calgary did today)
    Gagner is set for a step up next year with Quinn and Renney around

87. robert cleave says:

Source: Meeting went OK with the Oilers. It's more about Heatley trying put the screws to Ottawa

From Dan Tencer's twitter feed. Make of it what you will.

88. bookie says:

Yes, I am sure that he would have loved to have come here, but would rather shank Ottawa… Yeah…

89. Coach pb9617 says:

And this is a person that the Oilers want.

Amazing.

90. kurri_17 says:

if there's one thing I've learned over the years – if she does it to the boyfriend she left for you – she'll eventually do it to you…. (or vice versa)
    Three years from now this pettiness will be turned on us if he's our date to the Prom

91. Alfonse D'Amato says:

Yo, I'm not a lawyer, but CAN the Oilers even walk away at this point even if they wanted to? I would think that when Team A makes an offer and Team B accepts, Team A just can't go and say "nuh-uh, changed my mind" unless there was some sort of expiration date written into the offer. But whadda I know? Maybe this is a question that has already been answered 500 comments ago.

92. Chris says:

I'd be pretty okay if we said no to Heatley at this point and took that 7.5 million and turned it into Alex Tanguay 4.5 million, Dominic Moore 1.5 million and Ales Kotalik 2 million. Hell we could sign Blair Betts and Manny Legace too and then I'd be positively bullish about the team.

Although we'd need to clear some guys away to have the cap room.

93. Coach pb9617 says:

Just give Renney at least Betts and a penalty killer. Give Grandpa Simpson a chance to work with Penner.

94. Chris says:

Well to me coach Tanguay is just a better hockey player than Dustin Penner. I like Dustin Penner but if I can sign Tanguay I move Penner to clear out room for him.

95. LittleFury says:

Having just just finished season one of Eastbound and Down," I have a feeling Heatley's future will be a lot like that of Kenny Powers.

96. DBO says:

PBoy said it best. We dodged a bullet, and option B is better then option A. Sign a 3/4 C who can win a faceoff. Dump some salary, or use a commodity (dman) and add a piece up front. Do not gut the young guys. Hell, i'd even accept this:
    Souray for picks and prospects
    Dump Nilsson
    - sign Moore – $2 mill
    - sign Beauchemin – $3 mill.
    - Sign Kotalik – $2 mill
    that's $7.4 mill out, $7 mill in. Leaves us with more then a mill in cap space.

Kotalik-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan
    Moreau-Moore-Pisani
    Jacques-Cogs-Stortini

Vish-Greb
    Beauchemin-Gilbert
    Smid-Staios
    Stridwick

That team can compete for a playoff spot and roll 4 lines. It's more physical then last year, has a better goalie and our kids are a year older. And it does not handicap us going forward, what it does is allow us to shed salary when Pisani, Moreau and Staios fall off and use their money to re-sign the kids we like.

97. DBO says:

LittleFury: LOL. best show on TV. Heatley just needs the mullet and it's a shockingly close resemblance. he's 10 yeays away from coaching in Calgary at SAIT.

98. pboy says:

You figure Heatley is screaming at his newphew in his driveway right now because he might have dry started his SeaDoo and then Heater takes it out for a ride, while wearing a long sleeved dressed shirt and black jeans? I can totally picture that happening right now….

99. YKOil says:

Hey PDO, sorry I didn't respond quicker.

I was impressed by what Calgary because:

1. Bouwmeester is, quite possibly, the best d-man in the NHL in his age category

- Heatley is a top-end LW in his age group BUT he doesn't have the defensive capability that he should have with that kind of price-tag and wingers are rarely key parts to a team build (excepting the Iginla's and Ovechkin's of the world)

2. He only cost a 3rd round pick
    3. His contract was going to be in the 6.25 to 7.00 range and at that price he was a deal
    4. Calgary has excellent 3rd and 4th line players and Iginla/Langkow can provide the offensive punch so the forward core is more or less set
    5. That defensive core is incredible

Calgary has three weaknesses that I can see – Kipper, Jokinen and Primeau

Two of those are easily fixable.

Looking at the different facets:

1. Bouwmeester's year-to-year price vs ability
    2. What Calgary paid to get him
    3. Where Calgary is at in their competitive build

means that Calgary is waaaayyyy ahead of Edmonton when it comes to the two deals (Bouwmeester vs. Heatley).

Luckily, however, we still have Cameron Abney around (nothing against him personally but does anyone else see just how tragic that is?).

100. Coach pb9617 says:

I'm beginning to see the light, Chris. Big is complicated. This management team mangles complicated. All I want is simple. It's not hard to do simple. Right?

Get Betts, Goc or Yelle. Moore if he's cheap.

Get Moen or Fedetenko.

Jettison cap space to make it fit.

This isn't hard, right?

101. Phil says:

If Heatley is Kenny Powers, then this is how the Kelowna talks would've went…

102. bookie says:

and our coach will hopefully be something other than batshit crazy!

103. Chris says:

Now if we only had a few billion in perscription drug money we could could put together a fine hockey team coach :) Unfortunately the current owner seems a bit taken with trying to hit the home run, instead of getting runners on base and then hitting a double or triple.

If we added Tanguay and a good third line centre like Maholtra or Moore, no doubt in my mind this would be a playoff hockey team. Add a few more useful players and clear out some guys that haven't been helping us win hockey games and we maybe even win a few rounds.

104. Anonymous says:

Just had this thought while watching CFL hi-lites:

"I make 25,000 a year,I'm black and I live in Winnipeg – F*** You Mr. Heatley"

I went to watch the fireworks in Ottawa, and then to a bar to get drunk. Actually, I watched the fireworks from the rooftop patio of the bar. The bartender was really young and really cute, in a skimpy red dress, and really long legs.

Did I miss any anything?

Or was Dany Heatley who I thought he was! -).

106. Coach pb9617 says:

Tencer's twitter says the Oilers aren't prepared to give up on the Heatley deal

107. Icecastles says:

pboy said…
    ….

I even revised the page with a shot of him in the orange and blue! He is the only thing now that will keep me cheering for these assholes next year. Okay well him, Horc, Gagner, Cogs, Smid, Vis and a couple others. And Penner. God damn, I want Penner to prove the doubters wrong.

I have to say though, that the way things are going, I am going to miss MacT. He was right on the verge of starting Roli as his 1st line LW.

Fucking team. Fucking false hopes. Fucking hockey. Fucking blog making me doubt the wisdom of the mgmt group.

108. Icecastles says:

Tencer's twitter says the Oilers aren't prepared to give up on the Heatley deal.

What is it they used to say about the definition of insanity? Something about doing the same thing over and over expecting different results?

KLowe was right a couple years ago when he said Edmonton is a tough market in that the fans won't stand for blowing up the team to start over, because it has to be competitive every year. But have we not reached a point when there has been enough disappointment that if the team were blown up for a slow rebuild via the draft, the only thing that would change is that there would be a light at the end of this dark tunnel?

109. hunter1909 says:

Does anyone remember when NHL players worked at summer jobs?

My dad once went to the dentist in 1965 and saw Gordie Howe sitting in a Santa Claus grotto in the Bay, signing autographs.

Bobby Baun had a farm.

Now we get prima donna Dany Heatly, who could probably give Scarlet Johansson drama(queen) lessons.

Personally I have zero real empathy for any pro athlete. If it were up to me I'd consider making it a little more like Mayan basketball, where the losing captain gets his head cut off. Okay, just for one game.

110. Steve says:

Or two, if the Oilers won the first one?

111. hunter1909 says:

godot10 – Aren't they supposed to be called barmaids? Or is there something you haven't gotten around to telling us yet?

112. hunter1909 says:

"Or two, if the Oilers won the first one?"

Snap!

113. hunter1909 says:

"Personally I'm still stoked OIlers got Khabibulin. And that crazy old Irish coach from the Leafs". Rob Schremp

114. slipper says:

The Oilers should have promoted Howson back in '07.

July the 1st has become like Friday the 13th to me.

Next year I'm copping 400 mg of seroquel from the bi-polar Mexican woman who I have walking my dogs and I'm sleeping right through Canada Day.

115. hunter1909 says:

"The Oilers should have promoted Howson back in '07."

slipper: Look pal, it's time to take a reality check. Was Howson a member of the dynasty teams?

Some people.

116. Chris says:

Normally I'd admire management's determination here. Although when the player is of dubius character and the trade wasn't exactly a steal to begin with the enthusiasm from them is decidedly odd.

117. Jon says:

Tomorrow here should be Tambo's agenda

1) sign Manny Maholtrafor 2 mill

2) See if Gagne is available for Penner and Smid and a 1st

3) call LA and see if Frolov is available for Penner and Smid

4) If not, sign M.Samuellson for 3 mill for short term

5) Dump Staios and Nillson

6) Call a press conference where we announce that we will never give another NMC because of how dumb it makes GM's look…seriously they are the kiss of death of GM's.

118. chartleys says:

@ CM:

Vermette at the deadline was the final thumbs up for me on Howson.

That was the dude I had been staring at for months praying we'd grab to legitimately have a shot at curing our ills around the deadline.

119. bookie says:

wtf? The Oilers are not prepared to give up on the deal?

The Oilers Brass have become stalkers? This is getting creepy.

120. bookie says:

Melnyk is worth about 700 million. If I were him, I would put goalie pads on Heatley and tell him that he is playing net through the preseason.

Hopefully this ends the No-trade clause crap contracts. Com'n they overpay for the guy and then they give him a no trade…man…

121. kris says:

Bookie: Awesome.

I still don't get what happened. The tsn, McKenzie article says Heatley was, I quote, 'blindsided' by the Oilers offer.

That's a pretty vague way of putting things. It sounds like Heatley's saying that he never told Murray that he would accept a trade to the Oil. This makes Murray sound like the heel here.

But, of course we know Murray wouldn't have wasted his time and the Oilers if he didn't think Heatley would accept the deal. So, therefore we have to conclude that Heatley lied to Murray about going to Edmonton. BTW, it can't be that Heatley changed his mind; there were rumors for days about a deal between the Oil and the Sens.

But here's what I don't get: Why did he lie? What exactly does he gain? Heatley doesn't want the trade to fall through, he wants to leave. I've heard someone say that the goal was to drive up Heatley's price, but that really doesn't make much sense to me, and really players and agents aren't Lex Luthor.

If Heatley had said no to Edmonton a long time ago, the Rangers would've got him or some other team.

And it doesn't makes sense to say this is Heatley being dumb. He does have an agent after all, and a not bad one.

Can anyone explain this to me?

122. blackadder says:

I was pretty upbeat when I first heard about the deal, even if I hated to see Cogliano go. The idea of Hemsky finally having someone capable of converting the plays he can make was really tantalizing.

But, it's pretty clear we need to walk away right now. All this talk about wanting to screw Ottaw because he felt "blindsided" is ridiculous. If it's true, we'd be pinning our hopes on a petulant piece of shit who'll no doubt end up pulling a similar stunt here before long. If we're looking to add grit, then we're looking to add players who feed off adversity, not run with their tails between their legs at the first sign of trouble.

123. kris says:

In retrospect, it isn't the McKenzie peice, it was the Dreger blog piece. Ooops.

124. Anonymous says:

Lessons learned on Canada Day:

1) TSN and Bob Mackenzie are the only true reliable source of sports information in this country.

2) Dany Heatly is a cunt.

3) A reality TV show about the behind-the-scenes of a hockey team on UFA day would gain 10 million viewers.

4) If Canada ices Dany Heatly at the Olympics, I'm cheering for Sweden.

5) The Esks have amazing new 3rd jerseys.

6) What the fuck happened to all the Lecavilier rumours?

7) If Katz is so eager to spend his money, I could do with $600 right now.

125. Rick says:

RE: TSN story- This idiotic idea that the Oilers would take on more salary in the deal to "make up" for the $4M bonus is reason enough to walk away from this entirely.

Especially if Ottawa's brass and Melnyk really thinks this and it's not just speculation.

Yeah, let's put ourselves through this again AND go over the cap by another $4M.

126. uni says:

I find it annoying that while the Oil were tossing everything and the kitchen sink into getting Heatley, every other team in the NW made positive gains, except maybe the Canucks but I'll give them a pass for keeping both Sedins on reasonable contracts.

The biggest disappointment by far has to be Havlat going to Minnie for 6 million per for 5 years. He's going to be 34 when that deals expires. Health is an issue, but I'd have taken a shot on him at that cap hit and term. Plus he's young enough.

After the last ditch we're going to come to you and smooze you before the deadline and beg you to play for us rejection, the Oilers just need to walk away from this. Heatley ends up on the Oil, I think I'm going to have a lot of extra free time next winter.

127. oilerdago says:

Uni, what makes it interesting today is that the Oilers still have a chance to undo the mistakes of the last two days w/the Heatley fiasco.

Unlike last year when the Hossa thing cost us dearly (losing Glencross), there is still time to get a good 3C that will help w/the PK if Tambellini and crew will just move on.

If not and we ignore the lessons of the last two big fish that got away, this team is going to have some major cap issues that will hurt our ability to hold on to the young core we've got.

Woudn't it be ironic if in the middle of all this, Burke tried to get back at his buddy Lowe and do an offer sheet on Grebs?

128. Anonymous says:

Worst possible outcome? Edmonton sweetens the offer by giving up assets or cap space. Run.

129. Anonymous says:

Don't worry Eugene about your $4M in non-capspace. We'll save you $4M in capspace. Even Heatley isn't that batshit crazy.

130. uni says:

That's my fear Oilerdago, while they're distracted by the rusty baubble that is Heatley, they've paralyzed themselves from making any other moves with a potential huge salary hanging in the air.

What they need to do now is cut their losses and move forward, sign Grebs, get a 3C and go ahead and do what they can to improve the team. This self-imposed limbo they've put themselves in will only hurt the team.

As much as I can't fathom the moves by the Rangers, they basically got rid of Gomez for a decent prospect, then after deciding giving up Marc Staal for Heatley was ludicrous moved forward and got Gaborik.

131. David says:

I never thought it would be so hard to be an Oilers fan.

132. Alice says:

/Quite frankly, we'd be beter off seeing what Pat Quinn can get out of Dustin Penner than have anything more to do with circus that is Dan Heatley./

We pull our hair out about this never-say-die "stalking" , "Run away for God's sake", etc.

What we know: No reasonable men with an ounce of humility would prostrate themselves in such a way at the feet of Dany Heatley. Hence all the face-palms out here.

What we hope we know: Tambellini and his overlords are [ahem] reasonable men. Stick with me here a minute.

IF the above is true then there Must be other pressure being brought to bear here. Is it possible that Hemsky is watching his clock ticking and saying to the brass "get me the real thing here or I'm going to have to look at making an exit play of my own"?

Absolutely no reason to believe this is true, but trying to explain what otherwise can't be explained without using the word insanity.

Hoping it's just insanity. Really hoping it's Temporary!

133. pboy says:

It's time for common sense to take over. Fill the holes on the team and stop chasing the beautiful blond in the white corvette, she's clearly not interested.

134. DBO says:

and she's batshit crazy. She may be wild in bed and be willing to do some nasty things, but you don't bring her home to meet the family.

135. Coach pb9617 says:

Especially if the ugly brunette and redhead will come over at the same time and cook you breakfast and clean the house in the morning.

136. Coach pb9617 says:

It's not a big fish. It's a white whale.

And check out JWs site – I wrote on this exact thing.

137. Matt says:

4) If Canada ices Dany Heatly at the Olympics, I'm cheering for Sweden.

Word. Rooting for Todd Bertuzzi on Team Canada (and then the Flames) is one thing, but Heatley is his own brand of dink.

otoh, maybe he just needs another fresh start.

138. goldenchild says:

End this horseshit and get on with the major task of fixing this roster. 3rd line C, Dman in the 2 mil range, move out Rowbert and whatever other contract you can ie Staios, Moreau. See if you can move Souray and find a cheaper younger alternative, and if ou can find room for a Tanguay or a winger from a trade then great but its not the be all end all.

Its enough of chasing the Yeti

139. jon k says:

Agreed on Havlat. Looks like a solid deal for Minnie.

Looks like this offseason is the same as the one before. And the one before. And the one before.

Oilers get tunnel vision and miss out on the easy signings that might actually help the team.

140. gogliano says:

Sorry Coach, but it is a fish!

"Be it known that, waiving all argument, I take the good old fashioned ground that the whale is a fish, and call upon holy Jonah to back me."

141. gogliano says:

ps YOU ARE WRONG

142. uni says:

Jeffrey H. Christ! I read the Havlat deal wrong. 5 million per for 6 years terminating when he hits the ripe old age of 34.

He also got Zanon on board for 3 years at 1.93M per.

Is it too late to get Chuck Fletcher as our GM?

143. oilerdago says:

Good stuff coach. The only real question is whether it's the owner who has not learned his lesson, or a GM who thinks that the best way to win is to satisfy the owner's ego instead of executing a well thought out game plan.

In fairness to the GM, I think he's done a few good things, but I'm trying to figure out if that's a case of a "even a blind dog gets a bone".

144. Angela says:

I'm kinda pissed that Penner will make more than havlat next year

145. Dennis says:

Saying the Oilers are pathetic is as obvious as saying you need air in order to live.

The guy doesn't want to play here so Let It Fucking Go and still embarrassing yourselves.

146. Coach pb9617 says:

I'm kinda pissed that Penner will make more than havlat next year

I'm kinda pissed that four years into this CBA, people still don't understand cap hit.

147. Anonymous says:

Best case scenario: Heatley cashes his $4M check and heads for the KHL.

148. Alice says:

I honestly think that Neil took at least part of that hometown discount just so he'd be wearing an Ottawa jersey the next time he 'meets up with' Heatley.

Along the boards, for instance ~

I'm happy today. The Oilers still have Cogliano, they have a starting goalie and there are some value assets available via free agency.

Some teams will be looking to make deals and that's how the Oilers do business.

As for the wonderful UFA deals, the Wild sure did well and I like Columbus.

As for blaming Tambellini, I'd suggest reading Jimmy D's book about his time as GM of the Red Wings. Katz is on a learning curve and it's going to cost some seasons.

One has to cut Tambellini a little slack. He doesn't have the cap room and flexibility that Chuck Fletcher had.

Tambellini's hands were tied by what Lowe left him, which is why they were begging Dany Heatley yesterday.

No room for Zanon. We have our top four. Staios has the Zanon slot.

No cap room for a major forward with moving Penner simultaneously.

151. Anonymous says:

All that counts is cap hit. Other than the entry level and similar contracts Edmonton has:

Viznovsky 5.6
    Horcoff 5.5
    Souray 5.4
    Penner 4.25
    Hemsky 4.1
    Gilbert 4.0
    Khabibulin 3.75
    O'Sullivan 2.925
    Staios 2.7
    Pisani 2.5
    Moreau 2.0
    Nilsson 2.0

For overpays and underpays it would be neat if a stats guy could work up a value chart like the NFL draft pick value chart.

A player producing on par with a $4M contract has $4M trade value. So what's the value of a $4M contract overperforming or underperforming by $1M? 2M?

e.g. So Horcoff signing year was overpaid? But what should you expect to get in trade value? Let's say FWIW a guy with his outplays top line stats is worth $4.5M. If a $1M overpay makes Horcoff worth $3.5M on the trade market you can ignore a lot of crazy talk.

152. oilerdago says:

LT: point taken on Tambellini and Katz. I would have just hoped that we'd learned the lesson w/Hossa last season.

Anyway, the sun did come up, the wife and kids still love me and there are still some parts out there that would solve our other issues.

Things could be worse.

153. Anonymous says:

So the price for Heatley went up and the NHL value of Heatley is falling.

If Murray thinks Heatley's out to get him wait until he sees what the value is when Heatley leaks that he's looking at topping up the $4M in the KHL.

oilderdago: We'll find out if the lessons have been learned this week. The Oilers did get a goalie (at a high price, mind you) and will hopefully be active today and tomorrow.

155. gary b says:

for the last time, JUST WALK AWAY!

156. gary b says:

from Sportsnet's Spector:

"Both general managers are giving their take on the Dany Heatley situation, with Ottawa’s Bryan Murray meeting the media at 11:30 a.m. ET, while Oilers counterpart Steve Tambellini’s will do the same lunchtime in Edmonton."

157. Ribs says:

Ridiculous. If anything, the price should be going down. Good luck Murray!

158. Lord Bob says:

Jacking up his bid because it's obvious nobody else wants Heatley for a similar cost and Ottawa is desperate to deal him is exactly the sort of thing Tambs would do.

159. Anonymous says:

TSN reports Heatley "thought" there was interest from NYR, L.A., ANA, SJ, and feels like he had a gun put to his head, and that he was being pushed into signing in Edmonton. The guy wants to live like a rock star in Hollywood, not a rig pig in Oil Country.

The report also states this could "Get Ugly". Hopefully Ottawa find a way to really stick it to this jerk. I will be PISSED if NYR, L.A., ANA, etc signs this little F#&^'r for a bag of pucks.

That is probably what will end up happening though.

i just cant wait to hear the BOO's every time he touches the puck when he ends up playing against Edmonton.

Actually, after acting like he has, I wouldn't doubt if the BOO's came in almost every building he ever plays in again!

I would

160. dubya says:

So, in what world does the value of a player increase after said player requests a trade. then refuses to be traded, and thereby costs the employers he no longer wants $4M?

What, were teams afraid to make big offers because they were worried he had too much integrity? Wanted to be sure he cared as little as possible for those who sign his considerable paycheques before begging for his presence?

That said, I'm not sure why you fellas feel we're a better team without a guy who's scored about 200 goals in the last four years.

161. Boondock says:

I would be willing to increase the deal only to accept a contract Ottawa wanted to get rid of and stash it in the minors.

I don't really care about Katz's money, just team assets. If we can take back a bad deal or two and save Ottawa $4M, I would be OK with that, but I would not want to include any other assets in this deal.

I also hope this is cleared up fairly soon so the players involved from our side don't have this hanging over their heads for the rest of the summer.

162. kris says:

Today's Garrioch article in the sun says,

"Sources say Heatley just wasn't ready to accept a deal to the Oilers because the club wasn't on a list of destinations he submitted to Ottawa."

Okay, so if this is true, why did Murray bother negotiating with the Oilers, knowing that Heatley would just kibosh any deal to Edmonton? I mean, it just can't be true/

If it's false, as I assume it is, and Heatley did have Edmonton on his list, then why did he do that? It wasn't out of self-interest. Doing it made it much less likely that he'd get what he claims to want: a deal to a big market club.

I begin to wonder if Heatley's batshit insane because his behavior doesn't make much sense.

163. Deano says:

Just 2 points of clarity if we are not giving up on Heatley.

He now is $4MM real dollars cheaper to us next season. It is reasonable that we would be prepared to offer more to Ottawa.

Based on Heatley's behavior, he has less value to us than we anticipated and it is reasonable that we would reduce our offer accordingly.

I suspect that Ottawa gets more from us, but not $4MM more – say $2MM worth or something like Staois and Shremp instead of Cogs. (fingers crossed)

Really, what are the chances that a third team shows up to welcome him? He will be vilified in either Edm and Ott next season. No pressure.

At least he's expensive. :-)

Good thing Katz's character flaws are under control.

Its going to be entertaining to follow the Oil for the next bit, but it'll suck to cheer for them.

164. Deano says:

kris

If your Heatley, you want Katz's desperate dollars to finish second in a bidding war.

165. Alice says:

No Kris, I think it's entirely likely that Edm was not on his list – it's not up to Murray to honor that list, Murray's job is to attempt to get the best return. It's then in Heatley's court to accept or decline the assignment. Having Edm (or any others) in the mix would also help put upward pressure on the offers coming in, as long as the other GMs were thinking Edm was on the list.

In the end, they expected more offers, and when that didn't happen they probably thought/hoped that Dany would come around on it, for the opportunity to get out of Ottawa and everyone saving face.

166. Alice says:

Deano, Heatley doesn't care about the bidding war, – his price is fixed. The bidding is about assets going to Ottawa.

Murray needed the bidding war.

167. Deano says:

Alice

Excellent point.

Well played by Murray.

I do not see much chance that Heatley does not end up in Edmonton. Heatley then has to play his way out. What will that take? Back to back 50-goal seasons?

Reducing the offer now is a logical response. Include Staois or Nillson instead of Cogs.

168. Deano says:

So, did our guys not do their due diligence to get permission to ask Heatley if he would come to Edmonton?

169. kris says:

Alice,

We'll see when Murray comes out and talks about this in a press conference.

If I were Murray, I wouldn't see trying to trade a guy who has an NTC to a team he has said he won't go to as in my interest. What's in Murray's interest is getting decent return, quickly.

If the rumors were right, the Rangers had a sweet offer on the table that Murray lost out on because he was waiting on Heatley to think about the Oilers' offer.

My guess is Heatley listed the Oil as an acceptable team, but he thought because he had a NTC, there would be multiple, equally good offers, and he would get to choose where he went. This is important: When he felt like he wasn't able to choose which team he would go to (out of a list of teams he selected) he went bonkers.

That's not just an egotistical athlete, that's personality disorder stuff. He's got serious issues about control, which probably explains the trade request in the first place.

Hopefully his agent can get the situation solved.

Ah, but I'm just guessing aout all this. It's pretty weird though.

170. hunter1909 says:

Is Manny Malhotra still available? Wouldn't he be like, a proper and intelligent addition?

171. Alice says:

Don't know why I'm following this little melodrama, but here's an out for everyone -

Dany must realize that he's being vilified everywhere, surely he wants this saga to end as well

So, put a brave face on things, do the Edm presser, score 35 goals to the Trade deadline… whereupon the handshake deal w Tambellini sets in and we cut him loose and take some good bits back. Maybe some Really good bits, if he's played this little business well to the back of everyone's mind.

And who knows, by then he might even like it here. But why not offer him the trial-and-out. Deadline would be a good time to make good on that kind of asset. Just need to get back as good as Penner/Smid/Cogs – and we get some sniper goals toward a playoff spot.

Anything but more of this!

172. hunter1909 says:

I used to ignore hockey until the first few games of the season. Now I remember what's great about that strategy.

173. bookie says:

I was in a meeting all morning, what happened at the Murry/Tambi pressers?

174. hunter1909 says:

Alice: It's kind of fun though, even for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe after Quinn coaches the team for a season, much of this "Edmonton stinks" cachet evaporates.

175. hunter1909 says:

No press conference yet.

176. kris says:

Last point I'll make:

If you're Murray, trying to drive up the price of Heatley by including the Oilers in the bidding is just like sending in a friend who doesn't have any money to bid up the price of something you're trying to sell at an auction. There's a chance you sell for a higher price, but there's a chance your friend actually will end up with the highest bid, which means you're stuck with paying for the item, which means you didn't sell it at all. That is, you want bidders who can actually pay, especially if you need to sell.

Moreover, I'm not convinced that most trades are entirely like Sotheby's auctions. Murray made it known what price he was willing to sell for. The Oilers, and possibly the Rangers pre-Gaborik, were willing to pay it, no one else was. It's not like teams were clamoring to outbid each other here.

177. bookie says:

No press conference yet.

Perhaps Murry, Katz, Lowe, Tambi and Melnyk are flying to the Neverland Ranch to beg Heatley to accept the trade again?

178. doritogrande says:

This is probably the most accurate statement through the 370+ replies to LT's post I read this morning.

Fact is, we couldn't have gone after the Hossas, Gaboriks or Havlats even if we wanted to. The reason Oilers management was chasing Heatley down the rabbit hole was because we have no cap-space to deal with. With the trade set up as it was, we were taking on a small hike in our payroll. Anything else, and we couldn't even afford to be in the Heatley sweepstakes.

As it stands right now, we're Detroit. Just without the good players and hometown discounts.

179. Deano says:

tsn says the Oil have pulled the offer off the table.

180. bookie says:

I hope that Melnyk takes this personally and essentially forces Heatley to play for Ottawa or to walk away. If a Player breaks contract by being a no-show, there must be a mechanism to negate the hit on salary cap?

181. Deano says:

Correction: Ottawa is saying no.

Over to you Tambo.

Does Katz have it in him to walk away?

182. kris says:

This press conference should be fun.

Tamb: "We want Heatley. He is just awesome."

Press: "So why isn't he coming"

Tamb: "Well, either he doesn't like this crap hole that you fans live in, he's incredibly spiteful, or he's sort of crazy."

Press: "Oh, okay. So, what's to stop him from doing what he's doing to Ottawa to us in Edmonton?"

Tamb: "Uh… Wayne Gretzky used to play here?"

183. Baroque says:

I think if a player doesn't show up he is suspended and his salary doens't count against the cap. That was how Scott Niedermayer sitting out thinking for a half season bought the Ducks some salary cap apace.

So if Heatley throws a hissy fit and holds out (like an NFL player throwing a tantrum because the team won't renegotiate his contract for more money), I think the team can suspend him and not pay his salary and he doesn't count against the cap as long as he is suspended. I think that as soon as he does show up he has to be reinstated, paid, and counts against the cap again.

(This is how I remember some discussions around the Ducks going a few years ago, but please don't hold me to it. I'm not a capologist or lawyer or anything like that.) :-)

184. Baroque says:

I was just in another conversation where it was mentioned that Edmonton should offer more to Ottawa because Heatley is now a little less this year because of the bonus. I argued that no, they Oilers should do no such thing.

I figure that it wasn't Edmonton's responsibility to get Heatley to agree to the deal before he was owed the bonus, but Ottawa's responsibility. If they wanted to avoid paying him, but he wanted to stick it to them, then it's their problem, not Edmonton's.

It's Edmonton's responsibility to offer a trade to Ottawa, and I think it's Ottawa's responsibility, if they want him gone, to lean on Heatley to accept. That's how I see the business, anyway. The Oilers don't have any obligation to make things any easier on Ottawa or Heatley if they messed things up themselves. They should lie in the bed they made if they don't like Edmonton's offer.

185. Coach pb9617 says:

Our long national nightmare continues.

186. kris says:

Murray just pissed in Katz's cornflakes by saying Heatley's price just went up and Katz is begging to eat the whole bowl.

187. oilerdago says:

Just looked at the Oilers website and don't know if I'm more disturbed about the poll question or not.

No mention of needing a 3C. Does someone really think that the answer is currently in the system after last year?

Arrrggh.

188. Coach pb9617 says:

OD – It's the owner, seriously. Assume the worst until he gets publicly embarrassed a fourth time.

189. hunter1909 says:

The price went up? No problem! Penner, Staios, Nilsson, and a 72 hour window to talk to Ryan O'Marra.

Sounds about right.

190. Bruce says:

Heatley + Moreau = $9.5 MM
    Heatley + Nilsson = $9.5 MM
    Havlat + Penner = $9.25 MM

There were other options besides dumping Penner for cap room.

As for the "small hike" in the payroll, I'm not buying.

Penner + Cogliano + Smid = ~6.8 MM

Heatley + Player X + Player Y = at least $8.5 MM. That's assuming X & Y are bottom of the barrel.

Sorry but I don't see shedding value contracts like Cogliano, Smid and Brodziak as saving salary. Heatley wouldn't replace all three of them, on the ice or on the payroll.

191. Ribs says:

I don't think Ottawa's on O'Marra's list though, hunter. Murray will have to fly over.

192. Coach pb9617 says:

That's tremendous.

193. Ribs says:

194. Coach pb9617 says:

On who will drive the bus in Montreal now:

“Cammalleri can steer while Gionta works the pedals”

195. Coach pb9617 says:

Scuderi to the Kings – I doubt Souray is a candidate there now.

196. Traktor says:

Ribs said…

"I don't buy the "no cap space" theory either. Any GM worth his salt can create cap space."

Tambellini isn't worth his salt.

This is the same guy who thought giving up a 2nd for Kotalik was better value than claiming Satan on waivers.

This is the same guy who traded Garon for a 4th rounder leaving the paranoid MacTavish no choice but to run the 40 year old Roli into the ground.

Brodziak for a 5th rounder?

197. Traktor says:

Tambellini at PC after announcing MacT was fired:

ST: "We need to bring back the tradition, players need to know what it means to put on this jersey."

Solution: Go on witch hunt for players who have no desire to put on the Oilers jersey!

198. knighttown says:

It's pretty obvious that Heatley and the Sens will not be able to patch this up. Some California team will make a much worse offer in a week, a month or more and Murray will have to accept.

First we couldn't even overpay free agents like Nylander to come here and now we can't overpay in trades with teams to get players we like.

There's no way that these situations don't affect the way the GM and owner operate the team

199. Hoos says:

Everyone should go and listen to what Dean Lombardi has said with respect to cap space and free agency on the Kings website.

Sigh … he's so dreamy …