Exit Ramp 1: Staios

Steve Staios is a stand-up guy. A gritty performer with miles and miles of experience, he’d be a guy some might pick as a future coach.

Staios has two years left on his contract (2.8M, 2.2M) and based on the number of long in the tooth defenders who seem to be hiring on with NHL teams he should have some value this summer.

How much? Probably a prospect or mid-round pick, with part of the value of the deal being the money taken off the books for the Oilers.

Another possibility is a veteran two-way forward who also has an overpriced contract. Something similar to the brilliant deal that sent Jim Vandermeer away in exchange for Brandon Prust would be ideal.

With the Oilers in the waiting room until the Heatley trade (or training camp, one assumes) a deal like Staios for a draft pick might have real value to this hockey club.

34 Responses to "Exit Ramp 1: Staios"

1. spOILer says:

Did Murray wait on Heatley before making changes to his team?

spOILer: Exactly. I'm pretty happy with the roster and would only ask for a veteran center and if possible another scorer for the top 6F.

They're pretty close to the cap, though.

3. Steve says:

That's a terrific photo. While I've long been of the view that Staios is overpriced and on a none-too-gradual decline, that picture reminds me of why I'm going to miss him.

4. CM says:

I would love to see staois to fla or wash for a pick or prospect and an offer made to maholtra and foster

5. Matt N says:

I think you are under valueing Staios a bit

08 trade deadline
    -MA Bergeron for 3rd
    -Brad Stuart… 2nd & 4th
    -Hal Gil…… 2nd & 5th
    -Ruslan Salei for Karl Skraskins and 3rd

I think that he is in the range of these players.

Veteran, dependable defenseman are valued by teams arming up for a cup run.

6. Steve says:

Veteran, dependable defenseman are valued by teams arming up for a cup run.

So you're saying we should hope there's a team arming up for a cup run who haven't noticed how undependable Staios has become?

And I think LT's talking about his value now, not at the trade deadline once the Oilers have already eaten most of his salary/cap hit. It's obviously going to be different.

7. Jonathan Willis says:

I love Staios; one of my favourite players ever and like Steve says that picture shows a big part of the reason why.

But it's time for him to go.

8. Traktor says:

Something like Staios for Vrbata might make sense given Edmonton's history of reclamation projects.

Vrbata has 2 years left at 3 million per.

9. CM says:

speaking of bargin contracts I like Woywitka to dallas fo 650k per for 2 years

10. Jon says:

I would be sad to see Stevie go but in an Od Yeller/Red Fern grows kind of way. You know its time but man was he loyal.

The more I think of it, I think Heatley is similar to another elite superstar…Randy Moss.

He is not the antichrist some are making him out to be but he definitely has an elite talent but with warts regarding his attitude.

Let's hope that if we get Heatley that we are the Patriots and not the Raiders in this scenario.

I have no issue with Heatley coming to Edmonton. I just want to move the chairs around a little, that's all.

He was actually better in the 2nd half last year playing in top 4 than he was playing in bottom 2.

Mind you, his numbers were pretty good when he wasn't with Strudwick.

He even made the odd good first pass, but way, way too often it was ring around the boards, chip it out, or just fail to get it out.

Great guy, and if he was 1.5M, no one would say anything, but this is a team that needs to watch its pennies due to too many "slight" overpays resulting in a generally overpaid team.

13. spOILer says:

If the Heatley deal gets done, we have to be in the market for a vet 3C, don't we?

If it doesn't happen, I think the Oil will feel forced to go with Cogliano there, sadly.

I concur on the picture, wow!

So, if we assume that the Heatley deal goes through, and Smid traded, how are we filling our bottom 2 D, after trading Staios? Strudwick, Peckham? I don't know how comfortable I feel about that.

If the plan now is Smid stays, then by all means, see what he will bring.

14. Rick says:

I love what Staios did for us the last 5 years, but honestly, Strudwick was better in his own end last year, especially after MacT realized his blindingly idiotic mistake and moved him back to defense.

I'd like to see the Oilers make a deal to get someone younger and better on defense, since we have enough puck-movers even if Tambellini moves one.

15. 40oz says:

If someone is willing to pay Hal Gill 2.25M then Staios for 2.7M at the same length could look quite attractive. Perhaps San Jose would have an interest in him.

16. Jonathan Willis says:

You thought so? I though the only time Strudwick didn't look like an AHL player was when he was playing crash-and-bang LW.

He's tough, he's a team-first guy, and I'm fine with him as the last end-of-roster guy, but on the Staios-Strudwick pairing, Strudwick was the boat anchor.

17. Bill Needle says:

It's too bad the Oilers aren't/weren't as ruthlessly detached from emotion with regards to guys like Staios and Pisani as they were with Ryan Smyth.
    They should see how correct they have been (so far) with their tough-love stance towards Smyth and start treating others in the same manner.

18. 99thoilerfan says:

The "Heatley" watch is very distracting, So it is nice to talk about anything else.
    The Oil have to get some movement on some of the players..

Can you outline options the Oil have, in removing players from the cap ( Cole Notes style, of course ) As I am not an expert on the CBA ( Who is? )

There is Trade, Waive, "Demote" to minors, Buy out..

Mmm, Maybe too much for tonight?

19. jon k says:

I agree with Willis generally. While Strudwick has moments where he seems like a passable 7th NHL defenseman, there would be once a game at least where he'd make the glaring mistake of letting his man turn to the inside on him with the puck. Often it directly led to a goal or scoring chance.

It was painful to watch because it was just such a violation of basic defending.

40oz: I think your comparison works against your argument. I'd argue that Gill is at least as proficient at defending as Staios at this point. He's also two years younger and cheaper. Granted, it's only been the last two years that the wheels have really begun to fall off for Steady Steve.

20. 40oz says:

jon k:
    I think that Steves leadership and skating could make him as attractive to some GM's as Gill.

I think that in any trade with Staios it would have to bring back a contract. Which would close the gap in salary between Staios and Gill, it could also be beneficial to teams trying to unload redundant contracts.

21. Asiaoil says:

Steve Staios traded for a slightly overpaid but effective 3C with a year left on his contract would be perfect. Any candidates?

22. PunjabiOil says:

Only reason to trade Staios would be if the Oilers need cap space for Heatley.

Otherwise, why not keep him around?

23. Asiaoil says:

PJO because he will be a 3rd pair dman by mid-season on a cap-strapped team. You can't afford those kind of contracts as they destroy your ability to sign the difference makers.

The Oilers are absolutely full of overpaid mediocre players who have to be flushed: Staios, Moreau, Nilsson, Penner. Horcoff is a splendid player but should be making Langkow money – not $7 million – but we are absolutely stuck with that one. Lowe turned a team with a tight cap structure pre-lockout into a fiscal cluster**** as soon as he had the ability to spend. He bought hamburger at T-Bone prices and did it repeatedly which suggests his responsible behavior pre-lockout wasn't prudence and skill – it was imposed by the budget. Mediocre management types like Lowe need a tight rein because as soon as you give them too much rope they create havoc – just like we have seen in EDM over the past 3 years.

That's why Staios needs to be moved and he has a lot of company – equal dollar contracts in return are Ok as long as these are for a shorter term and fill a need. A slightly overpaid 3C on an expiring deal would be perfect as I said.

I twill take the next 2 years to undo the damage Lowe caused since the SCF G7 – and I like other wish that Tambo would get down to work making the 17 good small moves that are desperately needed to get this team out of the cap glue we find ourselves in rather than chasing the big score again.

24. Jon says:

Does anyone have an answer to this:

Is MPS coming to training camp or is he 100% committed to staying in the SEL?

25. hunter1909 says:

Incredible pic, for Steve Staios's grandchildren.

Personally, I kind of doubt the new management is sitting on it's proverbial hands, while Dany boy ruminates over his future, in or out of the copper and blue.

Kevin Lowe obviously would have done just that. Which is exactly why he got kicked upstairs, on Katz's first day on the job.

26. spOILer says:

From non-cap number to cap structure in one fell swoop. Just dropping incendiary bombs, lol?

$1M more per cap hit for 2 years younger, faster, bigger, stronger, smarter, ultra-committed pair of real live wolf's eyes, I'm okay with. Even if he was The Rat.

Staios would be a lovely contract to divest, but it appears with the chase for Heatley, the willingness to let go of Cogliano, the signing of Khabibulin, the contract extension to Horcoff, the continued presence of Staios, Moreau, Pisani, Souray, Vishnovsky means they're going for it now. I can see them keeping all, or all but one of those contracts to keep as many vets as possible for The Push.

If I was going to bet on any of that lot going, it's Staios. There's less over-30 Forwards than Dmen. He probably has more value in light of Moreau's and Pisani's recent ill health.

27. Cloned says:

asiaoil:

What's Jeff Halpern doing these days?

28. Asiaoil says:

Cloned – Halpern would be fine – good candidate as TBL looks a bit thin on the back end

Spoiler – I like Horcoff, nice two way player, but EDM pushed him, believed in him, and gave him a top line slot that few others would have offered. This setup screams "hometown discount" but Lowe signs him to a full value plus deal that was just stupid. I like the player – but Lowe was biding against himself – nobody else gives Horcoff that contract.

29. raventalon40 says:

Does anyone have an answer to this:

Is MPS coming to training camp or is he 100% committed to staying in the SEL?

He's got one year left. He's not even coming to the prospect camp because Timra came calling. Unless something big changes at or before T.C., I don't see him coming over.

30. hunter1909 says:

Would anyone care to tell me exactly what happened to Kevin Lowe? Before the lockout he was managing on a tight budget, forced to sell players etc. Then with a budget, he seems to lose his fucking mind and proceeds to hand out birthday party contracts to the pre lockout "core", thus making the Oilers not only a joke vis a vis the on ice product, but throughout the GM world as well, one has to surmise.

I thought he was supposed to be one of the brightest young GM's in hockey, or was that just more propaganda?

31. Mark-Ryan says:

AsiaOil: Tampa Bay looks a little thin on defense?

Ohlund, Hedman, Ranger, Meszaros, Walker and Kraijcek make up their top-six. Probably the best top-six they've had since the cup win.

32. NBOilerFan says:

Wow… great pic indeed. David and Goliath like.

Without a doubt it's hard to move a loyal man like Staios (especially for my wife as he's been her fav player for years now), but just as it was for Smith, it is the right thing to do and the right time to do it.

And I disagree that if the Heatley deal does not happen, we shouldn't make the move. We have major cap issues and if we can move this contract, we must do so for whatever we can get back…. period. Now.

We can fill the 5th-6th spot with a cheaper D-man. And I don't think Peckham is far off either (next season for sure and he'll likely get many at bats this year as well).

It's never easy to move loyal vets like this but its a must in my mind.

33. Master Lok says:

As others have said Lowetide, fantastic picture! And an apt one, Staios has always been in the David vs. Goliath battle. Not big enough to be a defensive stalwart, not skilled enough to be an offensive dman, has decent speed (for a defenseman) has always battled with heart and loyalty.

Is he overpaid? Of course. How much would Staios be worth on the open market if he became a UFA today? My problem with Staios' contract wasn't the money, it was the length.

I thought the Beauchemin signing was of excellent value by Burke.

34. Ribs says:

Poor Staios. Why did they have to give him that dumb deal.

He's a good player and I love him as an Oiler but he just makes way too much money is all.

I'd be wary of dumping him without replacing him with some (cheaper) vet presence at the same time. A guy like Smid or Peckham needs a guy like Steve to learn from.

Can we buy him out of his contract and give him a more sensible one that doesn't hurt the cap so much?

Ah well…