Finally!

For a couple of weeks now, the Oilers have parked their summer in hopes of bagging an actual NHL sniper. Acquiring Dany Heatley appears to be no closer today, but we’re finally reading that Steve Tambellini may be prepared to go in another direction.

This can only be seen as excellent news.

The Ottawa Sun’s Chris Stevenson is reporting today that the Oilers may be prepared to look in another direction. Quoting the article “but an NHL source indicated yesterday the Oilers’ patience is wearing thin to have Heatley agree to a deal and they could give up and move on perhaps as early as today.”

This may mean the Oilers are about to deal for another scorer. There are any number of rumors available on the Al Gore-Simon Gagne, Nikolai Zherdev, Andrei Kostitsyn, Alex Frolov, Kristian Huselius and Phil Kessel all possibly in play. I believe the Oilers may also be in the Alex Tanguay sweepstakes. Why? Rumor has it that there are four (or so) teams in pursuit and the money is similar from all teams. The major difference is term of contract, which reading the tea leaves tells us the Oilers may be about to add another Khabibulin contract (5 years, 5M-that kind of deal) for the best forward currently available through free agency.

The Oilers may also decide to wait and see how the summer progresses with various rfa’s and there’s also the possibility of an offer sheet plus Jaromir Jagr is out there somewhere. The major piece of news today is that the Oilers and their pursuit of Dany Heatley may be coming to an end.

Finally.

101 Responses to "Finally!"

1. misfit says:

Wow, that would be nice, wouldn't it? It's just too bad I can't bring myself to actually believe we'd do something so sensible.

2. Alice says:

Per yesterday's thread,
    /What jersey should I get? Something about getting a Messier or Smyth jersey doesn't feel right anymore so I'm leaning heavily to Hemsky, with Gagner a close second.

To paraphrase LT:

He will deliver us high-breasted and pliable women, with uncommonly long legs and decently short memories.

We missed the boat here, and badly!

NBOilerFan, get your #21 jersey Today, and pray that his wrath shall pass over us.

Alice: pliable! lol. I would have come up with something less clever. Bendy.

4. uni says:

Excellent post to start the day with! Here's hoping for Gagne.

Think the Flyers would bite on Nilsson + Smid + prospect + picks? I doubt they could take a Penner salary, but their need for cap relief could spare us losing a Cogliano.

5. Alice says:

'of dubious morality' had too many syllables.
    Though Bendy conjures up something, er, Acrobatic. Who of us wouldn't shop in that aisle??

6. uni says:

Dave Tallon fired. I know everyone expected heads were going to roll with the RFA SNAFU in Chicago, but still a bit surprising.

TSN Story

7. Matt says:

I was wondering what was up with Heatley. It's been nearly two weeks since his agent was using jaw-droppingly inappropriate murder/death metaphors with respect to his client.

I half-expected JP Barry to follow up with, "Bryan Murray seems intent on driving off a cliff to spite Dany… we feel like we're beating our heads against a brick wall."

Bowman appears to have passed along the gene that allows Bowmans to fall ass over tea kettle into Stanley contenders.

Having said that, the Hawks contract snafu closed their window a little and if I owned the team someone would pay.

9. hunter1909 says:

Heatley looks like Alfred E. Newman.

Matt: lol. That's like the time I was working in radio and John Denver died. He died in a plane crash, the news guy comes in and reads it on-air and I play a John Denver song out of the newsbreak.

I've known he was dead possibly 60 seconds and the newsguy walks into the control room and says "well that's too bad. John Denver was a plane down to earth guy."

60 seconds!

11. hunter1909 says:

Matt: Or how about "We like to think of Dany as a Ferrari kind of player".

12. St George says:

Are any of these guys really the answer? The big "tougher" breed of forward that Mr T told us last spring that he would be rounding up ? There's part of me that still wants to do this properly, with some good draft picks. Given Mr T's performance to date, I have no confidence in his ability to assemble a competitor through trades … we didn't do much with the "free" part of free agency.

13. Black Dog says:

Based on the past few summers its pretty clear that by August pretty well all roster movement ceases and desists so if Heatley is a no-go then they better get moving.

I have little interest in anyone on that list. I would guess the Kings hold onto Frolov now, even with his pending UFA. They are making a run for the playoffs and moving a guy who gives them a nice 1-2 on LW makes little sense.

Zherdev or Huselius – meh. Unless they are shortterm deals.

Which Kostitsyn is that?

I'd be happy with either Gagne or Kessel though. Gagne is pure quality and Kessel would eat those soft minutes alive.

14. DBO says:

Oh please be true. I've been beating the Gagne drum all off season. Smid and Cogs get's it done. He's a two way player who scores 30 a year, provides leadership, is very good in his own zone and can kill penalties. I also like the idea ofseeing if penner can improve this year, and as a 2nd line player I think he will excel. and one other thing with Gagne, is the ability for him to cover defensively for Hemsky, which may free up horcoff to play with someone else (since most of his responsibility right now is hiim covering hemsky's ass in his own end).

Gagne-Gagner-Hemsky
    Penner-Horcoff-POS

I would be very happy with that top 6.

15. goldenchild says:

I really hope this is true and Tambo and crew can move on to trying turn this mish mash collection into a team that can compete night in and night out. There are still some very useful players out there that can help. manny Molholtra is apprently looking for around $2m, right away he solidifies your face off, pk and 3rd line issues for the same price of rowbert. I like Tanguay and if they can make t work then great but there are guys that can help this team at the 1-2M dollar range if you can offload a couple of contracts like Nilson or Staios or Penner.
    Anyways I really hope this is true and they move on, the guy doesnt want to play here not sure whatthey have waited this long for in the first place.

16. RyanB says:

Although I don't mind the proposed Heatley trade I've had enough of the waiting. At this point with other options being limited we need to get something done now.

Tanguay at $5 for 5 would be a disaster on the dollars alone IMO. Unless we still wanted to move Cogs that would leave us with both Gagner and Cogs as RFAs at the end of the year, about $48 million of cap space tied up, and a likely reduced cap. Not a good combination.

If we want to add it has to be through a trade.

17. Ribs says:

That's the thing though. I think we just missed out on the best draft in awhile (well, not completely missed out) and it sounds like for the next few years the crops are not going to be all that great. The time for tanking has passed us by, I believe.

I'd like a Gagne please. I do wonder how the Heatley offer will effect any kind of future deal like this though. Cogliano's probably gone in a deal like this (he'd fill a Lupul hole nicely).

18. serum114 says:

I have been on the Gagne train for years and would absolutely love it for him to wind up here. He's well priced, we have cheap young assets that could appeal to the Flyers, and while he's not a physical force, he makes us a tougher team to play against for sure. He does it all.

I think the cost would be in the Smid+Cogs range as well, and would gladly pay it. If he's in Oilers silks on opening day it'll take months to wipe the grin off my face.

19. NBOilerFan says:

Alice said…

I called the Official Oilers Store and inquiring into getting a #21 jersey, a saw a flash of lightning out my window and a loud crash of thunder…. and the line went dead.

Obviously very good news indeed and a sign that Tambellini does have some common sense.

I have to imagine this is the best of news as well to the Heatley camp and gawd awful news for the Senators (unless of course the Sens players talk Heatley back into the fold – the latest to speak out being captain Alfie).

I would love to see Gagne here; I have wanted that for years (along with my other favorite player, Joe Thornton). I also think Kessel would be a fine addition off that list and be happy with Frolov also.

Regardless if you wanted Heatley or didn't… the great news is that this will soon be over… or it would appear so at least. Time to move on, with or without Dany boy.

20. shanetrain says:

A big hell yes to Frolov and Gagne.

While he is a big guy who doesnt play big, Frolov is a beauty. Gagne would be just incredible.

Forget the rest of that list. Huselius? Kostitsyn? Sweet jeebus, I hope we dont go those fruity routes.

21. Dennis says:

You can't take the chance that Tallon would fuck up again so the right thing to do is let him go.

Regarding the Oilers, Malholtra's price must be going down everyday and the lack of interest must indicate that are just a few teams who either pay close attention to matchup min or just believe Manny was riding the Nash bus.

This could bode well for us to sweep in if that's something the Oilers believe they need.

Which is something I don't believe to be the case, though.

22. Asciutto says:

Smid and Cogs get's it done.

Smid and Cogliano for Gagner
    means the Oilers are over the Cap
    Even with Nilsson in Springfield

23. bookie says:

I have a strange feeling that the next drama that we will be talking about will be a legal drama, perhaps more a legal drama/comedy (something akin to Boston Legal) involving Jagr.

I suspect something like Katz buying the Avangard Omsk as part of the Oilers Entertainment Group (or whatever they are called), then Jagr retires and collects his $9 million dollar salary (or whatever it is), then he resigns with the Oilers for $2 million and pet monkey for a two year contract. Then Katz sells Avangard Omsk back to the original owners.

24. bookie says:

I wonder if Edmonton will pull the Heatley deal (as is) and then tell Ottawa that they will still take him at a later date, but for a lower cost (i.e. Smid and Penner).

25. raventalon40 says:

As much as I like Tanguay I wouldn't give him 5 years @ 5 million.

More like 3 years.

26. NBOilerFan says:

uni said…

Someone had to take the fall for this and Tallon is the one that is ultimately responsible, so it's not complete surprising for sure.

Do you know what I also don't find that surprising… is that the NHL looking into this fiasco and came out with the decision that everything was fine… no wrong-doing… no need to take any action against the Blackhawks….. WTF?!?!?

Even Tallon knew he f*cked up and I guarantee that he was on the horn with all the RFA agents the day it came to light. He didn't wait for the NHL or NHLPA to investigate; he went out to start resigning these players ASAP!

Of course the NHLPA came to the proper conclusion that the offers were incorrectly issued, thus a grevience was inorder, heck the reports all clearly stated so.

So how in the heck can the NHL, in the form of taking no action, take teh stand that there was no wrong-doing?? What a friggin' farce Bettman's NHL is.

27. NBOilerFan says:

Asciutto said…
    Smid and Cogliano for Gagner
    means the Oilers are over the Cap
    Even with Nilsson in Springfield.

Gagne… not Gagner (if Gagne was acquired it will become blog hell referring to these two players correctly).

I posted in an older post asking if O'Sullivan & Smid ($4-4.5) would be enough to get you into Gagne ($5.25) talks, even if you had to add a late round pick.

That would seem to work for both sides both in player needs and cap space.

28. Phil says:

Great news, if it's true. For some reason that scene from Cable Guy popped into my head where Jim Carrey is on the other side of the door saying "I'm leaving now", while pretending to walk away – only to come running back.

If a quality player can be added for the right price to fill a skill need (SNIPER), that deal needs to be done regardless of his size. Grit and size can be added in other parts of the line-up. Skill players are hard enough to come by, especially at a good a price, and if you try to hold out for one with size and grit to boot – well – then you're going to be waiting for a long long time.

Just my opinion.

29. Promethian says:

Heatley – screw 'im. Forget being some public consolation prize. That just hurts the team and city image even more. Move on and try to forget it happened.

As for your list of availables, LT:

1. Simon Gagne – Bring him here now. Since I saw him score 5 (or was it 4? Whatever it was outstanding) goals in one game in the World juniors I've had a (healthy) hockey crush on this guy. Him, Hemmer, and Horc would be a league-class PvP line.

2. Nikolai Zherdev – talent, but I can't bring myself to trust him to bring the compete level this team needs.

3. Andrei Kostitsyn – see above. Didn't he play with Samwise? Or was that the udder brudder?

4. Alex Frolov – To be honest, this guy is well-documented throughout the 'sphere, but I have seen nothing but "vanilla" from him. His underlying numbers may be good, his cap hit is nice (for one more year) and he's a LW, but would he be worth a Cogs/Smid package? Not IMO.

5. Kristian Huselius – deadly threat but does not fit the tougher to play against mould at all, nor does he fill the need for a true goal scorer. That being said, the Howson connection could come through here, maybe with a puck-moving D going the other way (hopefully NOT Grebs). Not interested in bringing him here myself.

6. Phil Kessel – As mentioned above, he would kill the softs with Gagner and whoever. He's a true scorer with the spark plug-style of play that I think would really work well on the Oil. Health, however, is a concern (cancer, mono, shoulder, etc) for someone so young. Him signing for south of $5M for the longterm would also have to happen.

7. Alex Tanguay – totally on the fence here. I listen to and acknowledge the hockey micro-numbers and realise he's quality in that sense but also subscribe to the intangibles that are brought by a player and I don't know if he brings enough battle that I think the first line sorely needs.

So at long last, if anyone still cares, I'd go for Gagne or Kessel.

30. Traktor says:

The Flyers lost 25 goals with Lupul and another 27 goals with Knuble.

Why would they trade a 40 goal scorer when they just sold the farm to win a cup with Pronger?

31. Promethian says:

//Another thing I keep seeing people say here is that so-and-so sniper won't do because he doesn't fit the 'bigger and tougher' comments made by management. I think that just because the team is looking to add size and grit doesn't mean that every player added from now until the parade has to be a knuckle-dragger. //

I don't think we need to think in such extremes…flaky, wimpy scorer vs. knuckle dragger. They can be somewhat wrapped into one package with less extreme elements invovled.

Un-huge(?) scorers with the mythical 'jam' are gritty and hard-to-play against enough. 6 feet, 4 inches, and over 220 pounds are not always required.

32. Oilman says:

Because no one will touch Briere's contract and he's (apparently) healthy this year.

33. SK Oiler Fan says:

Gagne was also on the Flyers 2nd PK unit at 2:15/GM.

Meh to everybody else listed besides Kessel.

34. Lord Bob says:

Reportedly and relatedly, the Oilers have also given up on bringing Cyclone Taylor in as a free agent.

35. NBOilerFan says:

Wow… the Oilers website has had a major facelift.

36. Master Lok says:

a) Do we have the capspace?
    b) Gagne yes. Even better if Penner went the other way.
    c) Zherdev, Kostitsyn – not enough compete. But I would give either a try if the price was cheap (for example, Nilsson).
    d) Tanguay sure, does the capspace work?

37. spOILer says:

Gagne will be tough to pry out of Flyville.

I really like Tanguay and respect his ability to handle the tough minutes, but I do not want a 3rd passer on the 1st line. Not to mention we'd need to clear salary ('cause Asciutto already has).

Huselius can't handle the toughs, hence the Tanguay move to the 2nd line in Cowtown 2 seasons ago. So throw this Kristian to the lions.

Kostitsyn I'd be surprised if the Habs dealt away.

Be dangerous to give up too much for one year of Frolov.

I dunno how Tambo is going to see his way out of this.

Of course today's article could just be public posturing to get the Heatley deal done. "C'mon Dany hang up the water skis for a mo', wouldya? This is a Limited Time Offer."

38. kris says:

I doubt Gagne gets moved here either. We need to have salary going the other way, which means Penner, and Philly isn't likely to take Penner's salary.

39. spOILer says:

No comments on the Minard signing, or are they in yesterday's thread?

40. Steve says:

No comments on the Minard signing, or are they in yesterday's thread?

Um, I think they're in the July 4 thread.

41. bookie says:

Finally

Hey LT, shouldn't this post be titled Almost Finally Maybe?

42. Oilmaniac says:

Ahh Bookie,

Thank you for that,..

"Then Gary Bettman has another stroke, threatens to move the Oilers to Pheonix and he and Katz's lawyers fight each other to the death with pool noodles."

43. anonymous says:

It just so happens that the Heatley trade is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Time to look for loose change.

44. anonymous says:

@DownGoesBrown Gary Bettman made $7M in salary last year but most of that was revenue sharing from the more successful commissioners

45. jon k says:

The only players that I think are available and a good idea are Kessel and Tanguay, in order of preference.

Kessel just found the pace of the NHL game last season and right now would be a good time to buy. He could be primed for some big seasons coming up.

Tanguay would be a great fit on the second line but we can't take on his 4 million without sending something out.

You would have to think that Cogliano plus Smid gets it done for Kessel from Boston. He wants Penner money and they don't so they're at an impasse.

46. misfit says:

Y'know. There really aren't enough Princess Bride references to be found in hockey blogs these days.

47. Oilmaniac says:

Id like to temper some of this pro-kessel talk… I didnt watch much Boston, but am I the only one that thinks that Savard has been a big part of inflating kessels numbers? Is there anyone out there waiting to say, 'you fool, they never played together'?..

Anyways, no Kessel…
    (He does have skill and speed, but c'mon.. more smurfs?!..)

48. bookie says:

Time to look for loose change.

My fear is that the Oilers brass are running around and looking for some bellows…

49. slipper says:

"…jaw-droppingly inappropriate murder/death metaphors."

Heh. Jaw dropping?

You aren't serious, are you?

I'm a bit disappointed about no Heatley. The team remains two top sixers light and the Ales Hemsky contention window is shrinking.

Tanguay is a start.

50. SK Oiler Fan says:

Unbelievable how so much of Heatlygate has become public…and there's more to come. Embarassing for all involved.

Reminds me of the CFL. I love the CFL, but the NHL should be more professional than this.

51. bookie says:

Funny story, the talk on some of the Ottawa blogs is now that Heatley slept with someone's wife…

Feel good Edmonton Fans, you are not the only ones out there who has to invent a sordid affair for every guy who is traded from your city!

52. Coach pb9617 says:

There are a few guys here that will appreciate the
    1977 Kansas City Royals conducting the Sotomayor confirmation hearings .

53. Asciutto says:

Moreau & O'Sullivan

54. Downright Fierce says:

@Coach

Funny stuff, but it feels a little close to home for me as a longtime fan of the Dugout. Not only do they do a similar back-and-forth with exaggerated versions of MLB players, but they have a longstanding referential love affair with the KC Royals.

Even if the similarities are unintentional, the Dugout's still worth a look for anybody that takes their baseball with a spoonful of sugar. Plus, the archive's so big, you can while away hours of hockey newslessness with the greatest of ease.

55. PDO says:

Penner and Heatley are both poisonous.

What Ottawa doesn't know, is we're immune to the poison due to years of being exposed to stars leaving for magic beans…

56. Lord Bob says:

I read that comment about the Oilers signing Minard and I was so excited that Mike Minard was not only still playing hockey, but he was coming back to Edmonton!

God, Mike Minard. He was like a poor man's Mike Morrison.

57. hunter1909 says:

I still say we're a contender by 2033.

58. TC91 says:

@hunter1909

You are quite the optimist.

59. Bruce says:

It's easy … one's Sam, the other's Simon. Maybe we could call him "Sim" for short.

Love Gagne, and have since seeing him score an incredible shorthanded breakaway goal at the WJC. I picked him in my keeper league pool the next fall and have had him on my team ever since. Can't see Philly trading him, though, unless it's a cap issue, in which case the thought of Penner going the other way makes less than zero sense. There's other ways to save a million bucks than trading the two-time Olympian.

That's the best anonymous comment I've read in some time. Works on multiple levels. :D

60. PunjabiOil says:

I think Jonathan Willis's theory on ON is probably accurate.

61. DBO says:

To those who don't think Philly would move gagne, it has nothing to do with the player, just the money invovled. This year they still need to sign 3 players and only have $1.4 mill available. hard enough, but next year they only have 13 players signed for almost $44 million, and that does not include the large deal Coburn will get. They need to move one of Gagne or Hartnell since no one will touch Briere or Timonen. Gagne and Hartnell are the only two movable pieces, and they have to do it. Gagne is older, and hartnell has a better deal and is physical. Smid and Cogs will get either at this point. And as to the Oil needing to shed salary, if you minus Nilsson you still need to move $1.6 mill in cap space. So you can still move a Gilbert or vishnovsky for someone cheaper if needed.

Smid and Cogs for Gagne
    Vishnovski for Vermette and Klesla

Puts us just under the cap

Gagne-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-Gagner-POS
    Moreau-Vermette-Pisani
    Jacques-Brule/Pou-Stortini

Souray-Klesla
    Greb-Gilbert
    Staios-Peckham/Strudwick

62. Downright Fierce says:

Gagne-Horcoff-Hemsky

HGH line? Better watch out for those "random" drug tests.

63. BBZC says:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Patrick Marleau. SJ is in big cap trouble and would like to change the culture after all of there playoff loses.

Marleau was on the primary PK and PP units last year, which were both top 5 in the NHL. He was also pretty good at Even Strength too.

I wonder SJ would deal Marleau for POS.

Heatley(7.5)-Penner(4.25)=3.25
    Marleau(6.3)-POS(2.9)=3.4

Not much different in terms of the cap.

Simon Gagne or Patrick Sharp would work really well on the Oilers.

Assuming Gagne (or Sharp) for Cogliano and Smid…

Gagne-Horcoff-Hemsky
    O'Sulivan-Gagner-Penner/Pisani
    Moreau-Pouliot-Pisani/Penner
    Jacques-Brule-Stortini
    Reddox-MacIntyre

Nilsson's contract buried in the minors.

Gagner can be aggressive on faceoffs, with both Penner and O'Sullivan somewhat capable in the FO circle.

Defending leads in the third period if Pouliot is not quite up to task yet, one could go

Penner-Gagne-Hemsky
    O'Sullvian-Gagner-Pouliot
    Moreau- Horcoff-Pisani

Same thinking works with Sharp in place of Gagne.

65. Matt says:

You aren't serious, are you?

Was I serious that it's shockingly inappopriate for JP Barry to use threat-of-death imagery to illustrate the way Dany Heatley of all people supposedly feels about where he might get to play hockey? Uh, yes.

I admit that I don't care for Heatley as a man, and I think his contract is too big as a player, but I don't see the above as especially controversial.

66. Eskimo44 says:

I say go after Kovalchuck with a crazy offer like Cogliano, Penner, Pouliot, Smid, Staios, 1st rnd 2010 for Kovalchuck. its a good deal for atlanta because i bet he wont resign there. I think hed give edmonton some thoughts on an extension there is a couple russians playing here already and edmonton would turn into a contender with his addition. Atlanta should be able to ice a competitve team while the young guys develop.I heard don waddel talking about wanted more actual nhl players in there lineup and this gives them a good mix of potential and experience.

Kovalchuck(6.5)Horcoff(5.5)Hemsky(4)
    Nilsson(2)Ganger(1.5)O’Sullivan(3)
    Moreau(2)Malholtra(2)Pisani(2.5)
    Jacques(.5)Brule(1)Stortini(.5)
    Reddox(.5) Potulny(1)
    = 32.5(Forwards)

Souray(5.5) Gilbert(4)
    Grebeshkov(3.5) Vishnovsky(5.5)
    Peckham(.5) Tollefsen(.5)
    Strudwick(.5)
    = 20(Defence)

Khabibulin(3.5) Deslauries (1)

= 57(Overall)

67. Bruce says:

I think the one statement which has me the most confused out of this whole Heatley mess is this one:

'Do not trade him to Edmonton until you have other options.'

In order to make any logical sense the sentence requires the word "no" right before "other options", yet I have read it more than once and have yet to see a "no" in there.

The logical expression of the foregoing is this:

'Do not trade him to Edmonton.'

Time to move on from this fiasco.

68. PunjabiOil says:

Bruce – I think his agent meant until there are other options on the table to assess the deal.

I think Heatley will be coming here, just because there haven't been any other teams lining up, and the fact his agent/him have not publicly/privately said no. If such were the case, would Steve Tambellini quickly shoot down the possibility as his press-conference?

The reality is, there aren't going to be too many ways the Oilers could improve this team this summer. Waiting it out on Heatley is the best logical solution, until he gives an answer either way.

69. kris says:

Bruce:

Absolutely right. There's something really incoherent in that part of the Heatley camp's position.

'I refuse to take the job at Walmart until I have other options.'

???

That said, I say go for it, make the trade or wait for the kid until next offseason.

70. Jonathan Willis says:

I did a piece on ON today about this (I didn't see this as I usually check it in the evenings – LT's new morning post routine is throwing me).

In any case, the piece basically said that I don't buy this because:

a) 3 days ago Barnes unnamed source (who presumably knows more than Stevenson's) said it 'could be a week, could be a month' and that no deadline was in place – despite rumours to the contrary.

b) Stevenson also includes the 'Heatley ot CBJ' rumour, which Howson shot down three days ago to Tencer, so he's probably just tossing random stuff he's heard from reputable people together.

In the old days a Barnes article would be pretty strong in terms of indicators but I'm not sure Tambellini is as talkative. Certainly the Khabibulin signing was a surprise as was the Heatley deal itself.

We'll see.

72. kris says:

We'll see

If that means, there'll be a resolution one way or the other, I don't believe you.

kris: It isn't a matter of believing me, it's a matter of how events play out. Should EDM make a trade tomorrow that doesn't involve Heatley, some of us will believe there was a deadline. Should Heatley agree to a deal tonight, some of us will believe there was a deadline.

Should nothing happen this week, then maybe there was no deadline. Short of actually being in the loop, we're left to guess and that's what we're all doing.

74. kris says:

LT,

I was trying to be silly by saying this will never end. Ever.

Too many deadlines have already gone by for me to think any deadline is believable.

kris: Ah, gotcha. I think a deadline from EDM probably means another deal is available.

76. PDO says:

The sport that doesn't exist any more is having an All-Star game.

President Obama just threw out the opening pitch to the reason the sport exists for me ;).

77. speeds says:

spOILer:

Why would Tanguay have to play with Horcoff and Hemsky?

78. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Lord Bob said…

God, Mike Minard. He was like a poor man's Mike Morrison.

Wasn't Mike Morrison the "poor man's" Mike Morrison?

79. bookie says:

'Do not trade him to Edmonton until you have other options.'

Simply put, this means that you are free to use Edmonton as a means to tell other GM's "I have another deal that rocks so you better up your offer" but there is no way in Hell that Heatley will go to Edmonton…

80. PDO says:

Bookie:

Why can't it mean that Heatley will certainly come to Edmonton; but it's not his first choice, and he figures that as a two time fifty goal scorer he can end up in a more desirable city like NY or LA.

If it comes down to there not being a deal to be made, he's coming here.

It's just not his first choice.

Bit of a prima donna? Well, ya. Most 50 goal scorers not named Ovechkin these days are.

81. Smytty777 says:

PDO: how is Ovechkin not a primma donna, he's the highest paid player in the league and he does whatever the hell he wants to, including uber-lame goal scoring celebrations.

The Joe Sakic's of the world are few and far between, class and skill in equal measure.

82. Coach pb9617 says:

One agent said he heard Tanguay wants $5 million for one year.

How is this not already done in Edmonton?

83. doritogrande says:

Threadjack, but it's worth noting that Edmonton has signed another veteran farmhand for Springfield.

Guy Flaming is reporting that Dean Arsene, formerly of the Calder Cup champion Hershey Bears has signed with Edmonton.

84. Masamax says:

While I would love to see Gange in these discussions and would be happy to have him, waiting for so long to go after another player has us in a tricky situation. I think Tanguay should be a non-starter personally, because although he has shown himself to have a scoring touch, I thought the whole point of this excersise was to find a true one shot scorer, which Tanguay is not really. The fact that we are against the wall cap-wise should make that a forgone conclusion as well.

If we are seriously thinking about someone like Kessel or Gange, we also need to be talking about where we can unload one of our top 4 d men to actually fit him in as well. None of this works (nor does Tanguay really) unless you can do that. Is that still possible (and by possible, I mean where we at least get a somewhat fair return) this late into the game?

85. Coach pb9617 says:

Did Niclas Havelid sign yet?

86. SK Oiler Fan says:

Yes, Linkoping – SEL

87. Ribs says:

Hockey News on Havelid…

"5/15/2009 Signed with the Linkoping HC of the Elitserein (Sweden). "

88. SK Oiler Fan says:

Not many appealing value UFA D left:
    Skoula
    Kalinin
    Boullion
    Alberts
    Sydor??
    Dandenault??
    Rob Davison??
    Cory Murphy??

89. Asciutto says:

Seidenburg and Morris

90. bookie says:

PDO – I essentially see it as a logic statement – that is if A is greater than B and C is greater than A…

Included in my reasoning is that Heatley had provided a list of teams that he was willing to go to, the Sens asked "Is it ok if we talk to Edmonton as well" and Heatley (his agent) replied with "Do not trade him to Edmonton until you have other options". The other options were to be from Heatley's preferred list. Given that Heatley provided the list, it is safe to presume that he considered each of those teams to be preferable to the Oil.

Its kind of like me saying the only two meats that I like are steak and chicken, but feel free to offer fish as long as you include one of steak or chicken as an option.

91. Coach pb9617 says:

SK, that depends on their purpose. Tollefson is fine as a 7th guy at three-quarters of a million, but it seems that Strudwick is destined to give us heartburn at that spot.

There are the guys mentioned above, but if you need a bottom pairing guy, Vaananen or Backman are both great if they come cheap. Especially if you can trim 1.5 million and replace Staios.

92. Jonathan Willis says:

LT: I like your logic just fine, but I just have trouble seeing Stevenson picking up on it while the Edmonton guys are feeding us contrary data.

Maybe Tambellini gave Murray a deadline and Stevenson has great contacts in the Ottawa organization, but that would imply that the entire loose-lips brigade (Katz, Lowe, Prendergast, etc.) is either keeping quiet or being kept out of the loop entirely.

Even with Tambellini's (much needed) tendency to keep things quiet, I can't think that none of Barnes/Brownlee/Matheson are getting a sniff of this deadline.

Of course this is all conjecture, so it's all in how we read the tea leaves and sometimes the silly things are just plain murky.

93. Jonathan Willis says:

Not many appealing value UFA D left:
    Skoula

How can you say that with Martin "Puck Poise" Skoula still on the market? For shame!

94. PDO says:

JW:

Think Edmonton learned their lesson a bit, finally?

I mean, Nylander – fool me once, shame on you.

Heatley, July 1st? Fool me twice, shame on me.

95. NBOilerFan says:

Jonathan Willis said…
    LT: "…I just have trouble seeing Stevenson picking up on it while the Edmonton guys are feeding us contrary data…. I can't think that none of Barnes/Brownlee/Matheson are getting a sniff of this deadline."

This was my first reaction when I read the article, I thought… "Wow did Stevenson get the scoop on this Oilers news over the Edm media… I wonder how they'll take that?"

I would have to assume any or all of Barnes/Brownlee/Matheson where on the phone to the Oilers yesterday trying to get evidence or more info on this to (1) trying to get in on it by adding an piece or (2) trying to snub the article.

We'll see, I guess.

96. NBOilerFan says:

PDO said…
    "…maybe? I mean, I can't imagination this organization wants ANYTHING to do with looking that stupid a third time…"

Problem is, unless they land Heatley, I still think they look pretty bad in all this. Sure, many of teh fans will be happy it doesn't happen, but they will still get flack for looking like they lost out on UFA because they were sitting on thsi deal waiting for Heatley to commit.

Stupid might be too harsh a word, but they will certainly look a little foolish for waiting so long when so many (including media) were saying they should have pulled the offer since July 2nd.

If they don't land Heatley and they don't pull out soon, I think they are risking yet another very bad PR situation which as we all know we don't need more of.

97. NBOilerFan says:

Lowetide said…
    "Jonathan: The major reason the Oilers would want to move on is if there's another deal available to them. I'd expect most clubs are shutting down for the summer in the next few days (certainly by Friday) so there may be some urgency."

I have to think/believe/hope that they have received much interest in a potential Smid & Cogliano deal from other GM's now that these players "may" be potentially available (especially Cogs) based on their age and low salaries.

Whether or not they are getting any serious offers is uncertain, but I have to imagine that most deals will not involve a player of "Heatley's calibre, but some sort of an impact player all the same. So Tambs will want to be as patient as possible to ensure the Heatley deal is a definite "no-go" before looking at the next offer(s). But he won't want to wait long for sure.

Or maybe I am way off base?!?

98. Jonathan Willis says:

PDO: I'll believe the Oilers have learned their lessons when I see it.

As much as I enjoy leaks as a fan, if I were Tambellini I'd run that office like the KGB – nothing gets out that I don't want to get out, and heads would roll if I couldn't make that understood any other way.

99. SK Oiler Fan says:

By value I mean under 1.5M, capable of 5-7 D, and 2nd unit PK. Strudwick barely fits the description because of the "capable" part of the job description.

The Opposite of value D would be Staios.

I'd be surprised if Morris is under 1.5M. His cap hit last year was 3.95M. He'll take a discount, but not that much of one.

Seindenberg fits the description to a tee:
    Only 27yrs old
    Sal= 1.2M last year
    GDIF= 41GF – 47GA,
    SHTOI= 2:36/GM (2nd on team)
    PPTOI= 2:45/GM (3rd on team for D)
    ESTOI= 16:58/GM (4th on team for D)
    - More of a complete player than I thought.

Skoula – maybe not:
    29 yrs old
    Sal= 1.9M
    GDIF= 46GF – 61GA
    SHTOI= 2:39/GM (4th on team)
    PPTOI= 0:12/GM (Bottom of list)
    ESTOI= 17:05/GM (4th on team)

100. Boondock says:

There's a July 1 interview with Pat Quinn posted on HFBoards, in which he sounds none too excited about the prospect of coaching Dany Heatley.

Pretty candid, actually.

101. ian says:

So Danny wants out of Ottawa and wants to go where he wants to go.
    Edmonton is on the list of places he does not want to go, otherwise he would have been here already.
    Management believes that they can convince Danny to like Edmonton so they will keep asking Danny for a date.
    I used to think it was OK for the Oilers to pursue this tack but now i am thinking it is only going to cause us pain.
    Our efforts to get Heatley are now conjuring up movies.
    The Oil are playing Glenn Close to Heatleys' Michael Douglas in "Fatal Attraction" or James Caan and Kathy Bates in "Misery"