Oilers sign Bulin Wall

Edmonton jumped into the deep end of free agency today with the signing of goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin. Bob McKenzie is reporting this is a 4-year, $15M deal and represents the remaining “cap room” for the Edmonton Oilers this summer.

I think we should prepare ourselves for a trade that sends dollars away later tonight. No immediate word about whether or not this kills the Heatley deal.

He’s a veteran NHL goaltender, and this would be considered an overpay.

220 Responses to "Oilers sign Bulin Wall"

Newer Comments »
  1. hunter1909 says:

This is cool news.

2. Wishful Thinking says:

FINALLY! Something the Oiler fans can be thankful for! We might actually have some goaltending for this coming year!

Let's hope the $ and the term is something we can live with.

3. Anonymous says:

cool, but I have a feeling when the other show (aka "the money shoe") drops it is gonna sting.

4. Anonymous says:

apologies, meant "shoe", not "show"

5. Anonymous says:

4 years 15 mill.

6. Anonymous says:

3.75/4 yrs

7. PunjabiOil says:

Too long and too much, for a guy who is too old.

He's over 35 too.

Horrific deal

8. RiversQ says:

Brutal deal.

Now they really do need to hope Heatley goes elsewhere.

9. devin says:

A lot of money, for an average, aging, questionable goaltender. Why why why?

10. Jesse says:

1260 confirmed the contract term.

11. Aram says:

I wish Roloson took the one year deal. gah. We'll miss him.

12. Anonymous says:

I love it….considering Roli was looking for 3 million dollars. Plus, he's Flamer-killer!

Jordan

13. Darren says:

Wouldn't the Oilers have been better off just signing Roloson to the 2year contract NYI gave him?

14. PunjabiOil says:

He played 42 games last year. The .919 SV% is somewhat misleading.

If he retires, the Oilers are on hook for the cap hit, correct?

15. quain says:

Steve Tambellini, everybody! Give him a round of applause! No idea how he has stayed a career understudy for so long!

16. PunjabiOil says:

Much better off – I'm not convinced Khabibulin is a better goalie anyways. What's the logic behind this move?

I don't like what Tambellini is doing.

17. Anonymous says:

So guys, if it wasn't Roloson…who did you want in net? Clemmenson? Biron?

Jordan

18. Darren says:

The Oilers make me depressed

19. Jesse says:

This signing tells me the Oilers management have a lot of faith in JDD.

20. Anonymous says:

Lowetide, are there any numbers out there regarding his save percéntage against the NW division last year!

21. PDO says:

Not sure why this is being panned so much.

He's a legitimate starting goalie, he's a Flame Killer, he was the best goalie on the market.

It's a year long, yes.

There are ways to get out of retirement hits if you're willing to pay, and there are ways to do the buyout.

We're spending what, $4,500,000 on our goaltending?

That's not bad at all.

22. Mark-Ryan says:

Average? Overpay?

Gah. I hate this blog sometimes.

PDO: I don't like the money and don't like the terms. I'm completely fine with the goalie, he's always been a favorite of mine.

24. Ben says:

07/08 Exp 0.897 Actual 0.909
    08/09 Exp 0.902 Actual 0.927

25. etownhockey says:

Toskala should be available…Toronto is going hard for Gustavsson. Harding out of Minny is an RFA…could have sent an offer. Other then that… really don't see any long term goaltending. Biron is utter garbage, Clemensen is a back up. Who else could the Oilers nab? Eddie the eagle…come on!

Decent pickup. 4 years is a little long, but a 2 year deal surely would have been a high cap hit. Something like 5 million per year. This 4 year deal certainly helps the cap hit.

26. mcmatterson says:

Agreed with Anonymous. Biron would have been as expensive or more so. Bulin's probably the best available option, aside from Roloson.

27. striatic says:

i like this. i think he will be around for 4 years, be at least as good as roloson [probably better] and not really that much more than we'd be paying rolli.

that said, it sort of maintains the status quo. a safe bet that doesn't get edmonton any closer or further away from a playoff spot.

28. PDO says:

LT:

I'm fine with the money, I think it's a year long.

That almost always happens on UFA deals though, and is something I can live with to bring in a goalie who has proven (and a lot of it) playoff success.

29. PunjabiOil says:

As I said, Roloson is probably a better or comparable goalie to Khabibulin.

So the Oilers effectively added 1.25M on their cap hit – for no legitimate reason.

30. Darren says:

Agree with Lowetide. I like the goalie, but don't like the terms and money. Doesn't make sense to give this over a 2 year deal to Roloson. In my humble opinion.

31. Anonymous says:

Optics

32. Darren says:

And I have never really cared for Roloson

PDO: I really wanted to go on the cheap at G, with Harding, Halak and others being trade options. I was also okay with Roloson for one year.

That said, he's a fun goalie to cheer for and can carry a team.

34. jon k says:

I think it's fair market value. Hard to understand why Chicago couldn't offer a similar deal. The problem is that the term is a year too long and his cap hit sticks with us if he retires or goes to the minors.

It's a risky deal, but probably better than Biron for the same years but a million more. Good chance he doesn't get that though, since there are few places left to go.

I doubt this affects our cap outlook much since it's essentially the same deal we gave Roloson all those moons ago.

Two more moves before the day is out, I would guess.

35. hunter1909 says:

He's a top notch cup winner, and unless he's suddenly about to fall apart he should be fine for the duration of his contract.

For some reason this makes me a lot happier than getting Heatley and seeing Roloson back again next season.

36. PDO says:

LT: I liked the cheap option too, but maybe Halak wasn't available and the asking prices for Harding and Lehtonen were too high?

I don't love it, but I like it. Could've done a lot worse.

Clemmenson goes to the Panthers for 3 years for a $1,200,000 cap hit.

I MUCH prefer this option.

If we sign Chris Neal for big money I'm getting a pitch fork out though.

37. Paper Designer says:

Frankly, I love this deal. This is a guy that if he had been signed for two years, would have commanded five million. Keep in mind that this is not a good market for goalies; any team that was looking for one was looking at slim pickings.

I don't know how this freaks people out. We were looking at signing Rolson for one more year at a number that was in excess of three million, it seems. So we get a guy a few years younger, a bit more proven, and a better resume for not much more, that will be the same age as the one year of Rolson we were looking at towards the end of this contract, and there are upset people?

This is an underpayment, and not a major increase in cap usage in net, and arguably the best goalie on the market. This team is better today than it was yesterday (except for the two hours or so that we were Dany Heatley's team ;) ).

The thing we need to ask ourselves now is "where does the money come from?"

Because if Heatley's coming over, that means this team is going to be crazy close to the cap after Grebs, Smid and the rest are signed.

39. gogliano says:

SERENITY NOW

40. dave says:

I think it is a solid deal. Check goaltending off the to do list.

41. PDO says:

Oilers have roughly $6,000,000 in cap space right now before we add 13 and 14th forwards, Grebeshkov, Smid, Peckham and an extra D.

Heatley (7.5) in, Penner (4.25), Cogliano (~1), Smid (RFA)

So Heatley takes up about $1,500,000 of it.

After Grebeshkov, that leaves you with $2,500,000 to cover 13th forward/7th D, Peckham.

We're tight.

… but we'll deal Nilsson for a bag of pucks and be fine.

42. kinger says:

Take a gander at this.

Fromtherink: "Now, if we subtract ESPT from SPCT, here are the top five netminders at improving their save percentage at even strength"

1. Thomas
    2. Luongo
    3. Khabibulin
    4. Lundqvist
    5. Hiller

43. Henry says:

I think that the price for Heatley goes down especially with the leaks and possible dealing in bad faith coming from Ottawa. If they require Cogliano to get Heatley, they have to take Penner and Staios instead of Smid to make the finances work. That will save $1.5M if Smid signs for ~1.2M.

44. pboy says:

Anyone saying that Roli is better or comparable should really take a look at their career stats head to head.

GP 678 W 299 L 267 T 82 GAA 2.67
    GP 462 W 167 L 198 T 67 GAA 2.62

Khabi is also 4 years younger than Roli and not nearly as high event.

45. Lord Bob says:

Aside from the goaltender, the money, and the length of the contract, this is a great signing.

Let's run the numbers.

23. Stortini .7

23 players, $58,862,000.

What's the cap?

47. Gerta Rauss says:

56.8

48. mc79hockey says:

I'm sorry, but this is just simply not true.

49. LP says:

There was a report on Oilersnation when the Heatley trade demand was first reported that Katz was prepared to bury salary. Keep that in mind. Some of the fringe guys or over paid vets can be waived and sent to the minors. Solves the cap issues and possibly improves the brutal farm team if they make it down.

50. Doogie2K says:

No Smid, remember? He's part of the deal.

I don't get the howling and gnashing of teeth either. I'm with PDO: it's a year too long, but he's still a quality goalie, it's half the cap hit of his last contract, it's close to the cap hit of Roli's deal, and it gives us some stability while we figure out what the hell we're doing with Dubnyk and Deslauriers.

Plus, I don't think Tambellini's done clearing bodies, so I'm not terribly concerned about the cap just yet. Steve Staios in particular should be looking over his shoulder for the rest of the summer, because I don't think there's any way he's getting paid $2.7M to be a fifth defenceman down the road.

51. Lord Bob says:

I'll believe that Katz is willing to bury salary when he does it at any point. He sure didn't buy out any of our horrible contracts at two-thirds, so he's going to be happy to pay a full ride in the AHL?

Gerta: No, it's 58.6M.

53. goldenchild says:

There have to be some contracts moving out the next couple of days, I mean there has to be some plan in place here even if its one that I dont understand.

54. bookie says:

You must admit that in terms of names Khabibulin is way way more impressive than Rolison. That is one stat that many of you are ignoring.

Also Bulin Wall is a way better nickname than Roli…

55. Scott says:

How does the, "whoops, he ditched us for Russia, gosh darn it" clause in the CBA work for over 35s?

56. Jonathan Willis says:

You mean, the way he fell apart the last time he signed a four-year deal after going on a deep playoff run?

57. Backhand says:

My understanding is the cap is 57.8 mm

58. R O says:

Gerta: No, it's 58.6M.

Not that it matters, because Horcoff's cap hit is $7M!

:D

59. speeds says:

TSN says 56.8 mil

Which cap, though?

61. bookie says:

Which contracts? Guys like Staois and Moreau who were big players in MacT's Oilers. Or perhaps guys like Penner who scored many of our goals. Also, why would he buy these out before actually facing the cap pressure to do so…

Not saying Katz will step up to the plate here, but there has been no motivation to buy guys out as of yet.

Sorry, my bad. The Oilers are 2M over the cap based on my estimates. That's me being really obtuse for, like, half an hour.

Sorry, folks.

63. gogliano says:

YOU ARE WRONG lowetide.

64. kris says:

Any chance we could still get Gaborik? Maybe a big overpay, like 7-8MM. Then move Penner and Smid to Ottawa for something cheapish.

Bury Staios or Nilson.

65. R O says:

Sorry, folks.

I thought it was intentional :)

66. Jonathan Willis says:

The Rangers have offered Neil 4 year/8.8 million dollar contract. The Oilers have a 3-year offer on the table.

67. William says:

If people are gnashing teeth, it won't be over Khabi himself but over how the Oilers are managing a scarce resource – cap space. He's probably the best FA goalie still available and as LT said easy enough to cheer for, but I keep wondering if this was the best use of limited dollars by a team that's already saddled with a whole pile of moderate overpay contracts.

IMO, $4M could have been used to pay for Anderson PLUS a $2M forward (or at least toward one) that would fill a hole. Maybe the Oilers mgmt feels Khabi in net makes us a better team than one of the other cheap goalie options + a FA forward. I'm not so sure. I guess I'd be more reassured if this felt more like a well-thought out part of a strategy rather than "OMG! We need a goalie now!".

The thing we need to ask ourselves now is "where does the money come from"?

23 players, $58,862,000.
    What's the cap? 56.8

Souray for picks and prospects by Friday.

That's the most logical place the $$$ comes from.

69. Doogie2K says:

Wait…why? Did Chris Neil become a third-line centre when I wasn't looking?

If that one goes through, I'll happily grab the pitchforks with you, because that makes no Goddamned sense.

70. Smarmy Boss says:

NHL GM's haven't really shown me that they understand the cap anyways so I don't really care or worry about it.

There seems to be piles of loopholes in the cap which further the belief that Bettman and the NHL are bush league.

Anyways, the real story is the Burke/Tambo/Slats three way in who can sign the worst contract.

71. Gerta Rauss says:

With the deal pending for Neil and the Khabi signing,I wonder if we've already told Ottawa to go F themselves.

If we're still waiting for Heatley,we must have 2 or 3 more moves up our sleeves before the dust settles.

So much for not turning over the roster.

72. Smarmy Boss says:

Turning over the roster is one of the best parts of being an Oiler fan. We sure don't get much on the ice…

73. R O says:

I'd argue that turnovers on the ice are a big part of Oiler fandom :)

Can anyone name the '06 Stanley team? No cheating!

75. Gerta Rauss says:

I've just spent $800 on a 20 year old Honda Accord,and that's been the highlight of this July long weekend…

76. bookie says:

Can anyone name the '06 Stanley team? No cheating!

Carolina Hurricanes!

Yay, did I win?

77. Smarmy Boss says:

I had to think. It was Carolina no?

78. Doogie2K says:

Following up on Ben and Kinger's comments from earlier, and copied from my comment at JW's, from Our Man Gabe since 2007-08:

ESP – 0.899
    EGAA – 2.66

Actual SP – 0.918
    Actual GAA – 2.17

Delta SP – +0.019
    Delta GAA – -0.49

That isn't nothing, especially since the 2007-08 Hawks were not unlike the current Oilers, at least by visual inspection.

79. Deano says:

I posted this in the previous entries' comments.

This is deja vu all over again. How old was Roli when we signed him in 2006?

Khabby is a better goalie now than Roli was then, but surely we could have gotten a better deal in this market.

Does anyone think he is one of Holland's difference-maker goalies?

80. William says:

Conkanen

That's pretty close…

81. Coach pb9617 says:

Which cap, though?

I love this place.

82. William says:

Haha, I forgot thecaptainEthanMoreau…

83. Doogie2K says:

William: I think that's spot on. I thought you'd missed Rem the Gem, because it didn't scan, but then I saw him and "Conkannen" listed as one, and it clicked.

William wins. I'm just so damn dense right now. I wanted the Oilers roster for the Stanley run.

PLEASE pay little or no attention to me. I'm the old guy at the end of main street who rambles.

85. Doogie2K says:

William: Shit, I forgot theCAPTAINethanmoreau, too.

86. Coach pb9617 says:

Can anyone name the '06 Stanley team? No cheating!

Edmonton Prongers vs. Carolina Really Lucky Goalies

How much do I win?

Which was the style at the time….

88. William says:

Oy, now I think about that team and I feel even more depressed :-(

89. Ribs says:

Good work, William. Now try the '04 Flames Stanley team!

90. bookie says:

I know what you meant LT, but I also saw what you asked, so I decided to be an ass and answer 'Carolina'

I also did that cause I would have totally failed to rise up to the real challenge

91. Bank Shot says:

I got it Lowetide.

We've got 5 guys left from that run. Two of which we want run out of town for having bloated contracts. ;p

Some want four of five gone.

92. Coach pb9617 says:

LT, tell us about the first time your town got a radio. Please?

93. Smarmy Boss says:

I can't wait until I get to the see the Oilers play the Isles at preseason.

I'll the guy with the Steven Rice jersey with a brown paper bag over my head.

94. Deano says:

are we really this bored?

Who played for the Rangers, Dodgers and Knicks?

95. hunter1909 says:

Sure the team is screwed unless they can figure out what to do with all of those Lowe party favour contract hits, but Khabibulin is a solid goalie, the best available, and the least thing Tambellini needs to be doing is getting second rate starting goalies just because they save cap space.

Bill Buckner!

97. Deano says:

LT – no, but my money is on you, coach or Bruce to get it.

No cheating though.

98. Smarmy Boss says:

Well if Khabby's game starts falling off. You hope that Deslaurier, Dubnyk, or even Roy will step in and play the bulk on a cheap contract.

99. kris says:

Signings seem to be taking a long time today, no?

100. Coach pb9617 says:

Eh – the Pens had Fedetenko, Guerin, Kunitz, Satan, Cooke, Boucher, Goligoski, Godard, Garon, Adams, Zigomanis all added since last year's finals loss.

11 guys in one year versus 17 in three. It's not about who ya lose, it's about who you replace them with and how you do it.

101. R O says:

Cammalleri to Montreal – 30 mill/5 years.

102. William says:

Ribs: Iginla, Kipper… was there anyone else? :-) I guess maybe that bastard Regher, and Conroy must have been passing the puck to Iggy…

103. Deano says:

Cammmileri to the Habs 5 years $30MM

104. Coach pb9617 says:

Who played for the Rangers, Dodgers and Knicks?

Trick question.

It's an old internet favorite though.

105. William says:

Holy Montreal is crazy active.

106. docweb says:

Can someone explain to me why we are willing to give up 3 players, take on huge salary, and yet not consider Mike Camilleri??

107. Deano says:

Its an old drink-winner

108. Doogie2K says:

Holy Montreal is crazy active.

Gomez, Spacek, Gill, and now Cammalleri.

I guess this means Koivu's not coming back?

109. Coach pb9617 says:

Signings seem to be taking a long time today, no?

Heatley and his bag of hammers hang over a bunch of teams and players.

110. bookie says:

If JDD and/or JD falter, any hope for Dany Sabourin or is his time in the bigs finished.

Maybe he is a throw in with a trade or something?

Seemed like he was a good backup elsewhere.

111. Coach pb9617 says:

Have to get BIGARRRRRRRRRR!

Pahlsson, Betts, Neil, Kurtis Foster, who else should be on our radar at this point?

113. Smarmy Boss says:

People want to have Cammy at a cap hit close to Bouwmeester? Really?

114. Ribs says:

William: Sounds good. Warrener is UFA so suppose he doesn't count.

115. DanMan says:

Bertuzzi gives us what we need in size.

If we could get him for 2 mil or less, 1 or 2 year, I think we go for it.

LT, this isn't an overpay. Khab made 6.75 last year. And this is pretty much the same contract we signed Roli to at the same age. Khab is a slightly better G than Roli, too.

DanMan: But we're up against it now, I estimate we're over by 2M when Grebs and others are signed.

I think Souray is gone.

117. R O says:

Bertuzzi gives us what we need in size.

If we could get him for 2 mil or less, 1 or 2 year, I think we go for it.

I think I've heard it all today.

118. Coach pb9617 says:

Its an old drink-winner

It took me a long time to remember his name.

Yelle, Zanon, Eminger, Tollefson, Sjostrom

119. Ribs says:

Zanon's gone, coach. Minny.

120. Coach pb9617 says:

Bertuzzi gives us what we need in size.

If we could get him for 2 mil or less, 1 or 2 year, I think we go for it.

Whaaaaaaaa? I'd walk away from the Oilers if they pulled that shit.

I think Souray is gone..

Welcome to the dark side!

121. Coach pb9617 says:

Zanon's gone, coach. Minny.

JW! Update your site faster!

122. kris says:

Coach,

I cheated and Googled it, but I think your answer is slightly wrong.

123. DanMan says:

20. Hemsky 4.1
    21. Nilsson 2.0
    22. Pisani 2.5
    23. Stortini .7

23 players, $58,862,000.

What's the cap?

Clearly, if the Heatley trade goes down, there will be another coming soon involving at least one of our top 5 defencemen.

124. DanMan says:

sorry i forgot to credit LT for that. You obviously put time and effort into it.

125. Smarmy Boss says:

Tambo has a series of trades each one more mind blowing and awesome then the previous one. Just you wait!

126. Coach pb9617 says:

kris – it's not Eddie Layton?

127. Deano says:

Quinn teams do need Fuhr-style goaltenders who are okay with being deserted for periods on-end.

128. docweb says:

Coach…

I get bigger, but is Heatley tougher, more gritty?? Is he tougher or more gritty than Tanguay?

And if so is he 3 players worth??

129. Boondock says:

NHL_Oilers
    More Oilers signings to be announced very shortly.
    1 minute ago from web

130. Smarmy Boss says:

Bertuzzi would be a good signing. He and Moreau could battle it out and see who could get the worst penalty each game.

We could make up some sort of drinking game relating to that.

131. Lord Bob says:

Right now, our list should be "nothing" because we're out of money and no way Katz buries a salary unless he really thinks there's a chance of us going somewhere (if he does, how did he make all that money being that stupid?).

I can hardly wait for Khabibulin to do what he always does after getting overpaid and be a league average at best goalie with an exorbitant salary as our third line of Marc Pouliot, Rob Schremp, and Francois Boot goes -6 in a game against Calgary…

132. Deano says:

Vern Fiddler to PHX 2 years for 1.1 per.

Why can't we do that?

133. LittleFury says:

Komisarek to Burkeville. I would have thought he'd want to get as far away from Lucic as possible.

134. Chris says:

If this whole Heatley thing is off, I'd hope we are least talking to Alex Tanguay's agent. Tanguay can flat out play hockey and is a good two way player. Tanguay, Horcoff and Hemsky would be an excellent PVP line.

135. DBO says:

Zanon 3 years to Minny for $5.2. And komisarek to TO for 5 years at 44.5

136. DBO says:

should be $4.5 for Komisarek. And Zanon and Anderson look like the two guys i wanted who signed for cheap.

137. Lord Bob says:

Why can't we sign a value player like Vern Fiddler? Because he's not famous, that's why, and when you're building a hockey team you always want BIG NAMES.

138. Coach pb9617 says:

NHL_Oilers
    More Oilers signings to be announced very shortly.
    1 minute ago from web

Betts and Sjostrom is my guess.

139. Jonathan Willis says:

Pahlsson. I'd love to see it be Pahlsson.

It has to be a center and if Neil comes I'd suspect he'll replace Nilsson on 2line R.

141. Jonathan Willis says:

LT: You're killing me. It can't be Neil.

142. Coach pb9617 says:

Neil comes I'd suspect he'll replace Nilsson on 2line R.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

143. Sean says:

Paulson and Neil, send Nilsson and Staois to Russia … do it!

This team is going to add grit on the top 2lines. Neil is a RW, he's not playing 1line (Hemsky), he's not replacing Pisani and Stortini is the 4line R.

145. speeds says:

Would Khabibulin for 4 years at 3.75 mil have been on your radar?

146. Ribs says:

I'm guessing some of the RFA's got deals…woo….Brule and Dubnyk! Hah…

147. PDO says:

Neil also has 9 goals in his last 120 games….

There's no way that we're that stupid?

148. DBO says:

Cogs will be 2nd RW/LW or he's gone. Unless he's our 4th line centre, which seems a waste. Pahlsson or betts and i'm pleased. Neil at less then $2 mill and I'mOK, but that means we have 3 3rd liners (i look at Neil as a 3rd liner) making at least $2 mill per. That's a lot of money in 3rd liners.

149. PDO says:

I'm not convinced Neil is a 3rd liner, never mind a 2nd.

Robert Nilsson will be riding the buses for Springfield in the AHL this year.

I sort of think Souray is going for Jack Johnson.

151. PDO says:

Also, he had some parting shots at Heatley…

This just seems like wacky world.

152. DBO says:

PDO: what did Neil say?

153. Ribs says:

He said "Heatrey stoled my tootbrush, derrr.." he then slobbered all over himself and fell down.

154. PDO says:

"It’s definitely shocking any time an elite player wants out of an organization that has bent over backwards for him," Neil said. "He’s a guy who was under contract for a long time and he’s paid very well … but if he doesn’t want to be here, let him go and do his own thing."

[...]

"It’s frustrating to see," he said. "He’s a guy who was well liked in the dressing room, a guy who is going to score 40 to 50 goals for you (each season)."

[...]

"The biggest thing is we were winning at the end of the year and I really think he had an opportunity to score 50 goals again next season. He was scoring more after Clouston came in and I didn’t really see any problems. At one point, the power play wasn’t working; Cory saw that and switched things up. In one game, we got a bunch of goals on the power play (without Heatley), so he stuck with that. You go with what works."

[...]

"You would like to think that if they’re able to move (Heatley), they would be able to get somebody pretty good back," he said.

155. Anonymous says:

Malhotra's contract talks with Columbus have broken down accourding to Fourth Period Twitter.

Should he be on Oiler's radar?

156. kris says:

Cross fingers, wish for Gaborik.

157. Sean says:

Paulson to CBJ… booerns

158. DBO says:

If Gagne is available, I offer close to the same deal to Philly. Cogs and Smid for Gagne (saves them $3 mill). Dump Nilsson for anything, sign Betts for 3C and if you have to deal Souray for Clowe or someone like that and sign Beauchemin. We'd be right at the cap limit, but competitive

Gagne-Horcoff-Hemsky
    O'Sullivan-Gagner-Clowe
    Moreau-Betts-Pisani
    Jacques-Pou/Brule-Stortini

Vish-Greb
    Beauchemin-Gilbert
    Staios-Peckham/Strudwick

Bulin
    JDD

I'm OK with that lineup.

C-Bus gets Pahlsson.

160. DBO says:

Pahlsson 3 years $2.65 per to columbus

161. goldenchild says:

Scott Howson really seems to know what he is doing.

162. Jonathan Willis says:

Damn that Scott Howson.

163. goldenchild says:

Go get Manny now.

164. Jonathan Willis says:

Goldenchild +1

165. DBO says:

Howson would be a nice GM. not judging tambellini yet, but he hasn't made any bad moves since going to Columbus.

166. Jon says:

Screw the longball….

sign M.Samuelson from D-town for 2-3 mill

Sign Maholtra from Columbus for 2 mill .

Sign Strudz for 0.6 mill

Dump Nillson and Staios

penner horc hemmer
    pos gags samuelson
    moreau maholtra pisani
    jaques cogs storts

souray vis
    gilbert grebs
    smid Peck
    Strudz

bulin
    JDD

Does that team make the playoffs?

So, if Neil isn't going to play 2line R, where do they put him? He played against dregs and with dregs.

168. DBO says:

I hate people who complain about complainers but do it anonymously. Complain.

Damn straight, DBO.

170. PDO says:

LT:

Hopefully in New York or Toronto.

171. DBO says:

LT: just don't think Neil has a place unless they unload Moreau.

172. Traktor says:

Maybe Pisani is on the outs..

173. Jonathan Willis says:

LT: Nowhere. He doesn't belong. I'm sure you're right about where they would look to slot him, but that would be a horrible move.

The only other thing I can think of is that they believe Pisani could scorie in a second line role.

174. Anonymous says:

Hey LT. I really enjoy the blog a great deal. But some of the negativity on here has a tendency to feed off itself and grow. Maybe we could set up another blog for anonymous posters, like me, and those that think the Oilers do nothing right. We can call it the Raging Oilers Grannies. :-) Just a thought.

175. Jonathan Willis says:

Traktor: For the same money, would you take Pisani or Niel? It has to be Pisani, right?

176. Chris says:

I don't want Neil for the money the Rangers were offering, let alone more.

177. DBO says:

Anonymous guy: if you follow this blog you'll know while we do have some consternation over moves, and dissect them too indepth at times, generally this blog is a great spot for debate and ideas, with some painful moaning mixed in. Armchair QB's are what the Al Gore is for. Makes us feel special.

178. Smarmy Boss says:

Pahlsson for 2.65 mil hit? Yeah I don't know if that is that great.

179. Deano says:

godot10's idea for the Heatley 3-way with the Rangers was worth all the grumbling today.

180. Traktor says:

JW: I think Pisani is a better player but if we're going small in the top 6 we need to supplement them with goons.

I'm not sure if I'd rather Pisani or Neil or both or neither to be honest.

181. HBomb says:

I think the logical thing is Pisani jumps up to line two with Gagner and Neil is the 3RW.

Could he hack that gig? Who knows?

182. Jonathan Willis says:

Dreger just said that Dany Heatley feels like Ottawa "put a gun to his head" with the Edmonton offer. He wants more options.

He can go to hell.

183. DBO says:

Smarmy: Columbus has oodles of cap room, and were losing Malhotra so they have 4 solid/good centres. They will also have a ton of cap space next year as well, even if they re sign Nash. he's building a team of solid NHLer's, and that is how you win.

184. Lord Bob says:

Okay, guys who think that Tambs is doing a great job because he's getting players you've heard of, I want to put this on the record.

I am willing to bet $10, here and now, that the Columbus Blue Jackets will beat the Oilers in the standings by ten points next year. And they're not going to sign anybody.

185. DBO says:

anonymous guy: i agree it can be annoying at times, but it's also great to have a forum from which to share the pain, while still having intelligent conversation.

As for heatley. go suck a dick. Please tambellini walk away. Go for Gagne.

Didn't Columbus just sign Pahlsson?

187. Lord Bob says:

How many All-Star games has Sammy Pahlsson been to, LT? He's a defensive forward. He's not nearly famous enough.

Lord Bob: I misunderstood your post.

189. Spot The Loon says:

DBO

There, I'm not anonymous anymore. :-)

The one thing that we agree on is walking away, neigh, run away, from the Heatley deal.

JW wrote:
    "He can go to hell."

That is where he thinks he is going do! And yet Daryl still wants him.

191. DanMan says:

LB and LT, with coach Quinn we're not gonna have a shutdown line. I dont see the Betts, Pecas, etc. being sought after by Tambo.

The team is gonna look a lot more talented.

and famous

192. DBO says:

Spot the Loon: welcome, welcome. you better be positive or we'll roast you!!! kidding, the Al Gore is a loving place.

193. Spot The Loon says:

DBO,

I've read the blog for ages so I figured I might as well jump in like everyone else.

LT,

You do great work here. And I love the baseball references that crop up. Great perspective.

194. Chris says:

At this point I think we'd be much better off taking our ball and going home on the Danny Heatley trade. Let's try to sign Tanguay or another reasonable free agent, add a vetran centre or two, a cheap vetran d-man would be nice too, then clear out the dead wood.

195. High Tide says:

Wow LT, tons of comments… More than TSN's blog I think!

I made it half way thru–it looks like you're worried of the cap implications of us icing a team with Heatley on it?

I guess there's still time for him to waive, but it would be surprising if he did at this point.

I know that cap implications of buy-outs, but what happens when a player is sent to the minors in terms of cap hit?

196. R O says:

The team is gonna look a lot more talented.

and famous

But is it gonna win hockey games.

High Tide: Yeah, I'm beginning to think the Heatley deal is d.o.a. which I'm fine with to be honest (really, previous threads are proof).

I understand the need for a sniper but a 7.5M player needs to have more dimension.

198. DBO says:

High tide: cap hit goes away as long as the player signed his deal before he was 35 yrs old. So we can't hide Bulin's deal, but e could hide Penner

199. Lord Bob says:

No way the Oilers sign Khabibulin for this sort of scratch if they're still alive in the Heatley sweepstakes.

200. DBO says:

LT: yeah I'm over Heatley. Had talked myself into it last night, but at this point we could sign someone or deal for a Gagne (if he's actually in play as rumoured) for less assets.

Newer Comments »