SNAFU

Word tonight from multiple sources: Dany Heatley is an Edmonton Oiler. Senators get three NHL players in return: Andrew Cogliano, a very good young player; Dustin Penner, an inconsistent winger who does bring some things; Ladislav Smid, a young defender who has been developing at the NHL level. A lot of young talent heading the other way.

Steve Tambellini puts his stamp on the Oilers tonight, with a big-time sniper for the 1line. With this as the backdrop, the only way this deal makes sense to me is if the Edmonton Oilers flush ALL of the development crap and go for it. By that I mean stop with the JDD experiment, keep Peckham on the farm, sign Kotalik and Dvorak and Betts and Fiddler. Enough with the development of the kids.

Craig MacTavish must be kicking a few things tonight.

573 Responses to "SNAFU"

Newer Comments »
  1. mjsh says:

I am standing by. any news?

2. Lord Bob says:

Baby don't you do it,
    Don't do it.
    Don't you break my heart.
    Pleeeeease, don't do it, don't you break my heart.

Don't collect shiny toys, Katz. Get good hockey players with better contracts. Don't make Tambellini acquire flashy players and give up the farm (i.e. Cogliano) just because you've heard of them. Act even remotely, tangentially connected to reality.

3. gogliano says:

Cogliano's name in the labels is well noted.

I might need a new name. Argh.

4. ryanbatty says:

I wish I would be set to make $4 million in just over an hour and a half.

I can't imagine Penner, Smid, and a prospect gets this done but I guess we'll see.

It's apparently in Heatley's hands now. If it involves Cogliano, we're porridge again.

We're re-building–no we're not. Make up your freaking mind!

6. Big T says:

According to TSN, Bouwmeester signed in Calgary for $6.6 MM over 5 yrs.

$h!t

7. Bohologo says:

Let's hope Heatley says no to Edmonton.

8. mjsh says:

I am hoping Penner, smid and a pick or a decent young player not on the roster. and hurry please

9. HBomb says:

Cogliano? WTF?

People may not be shit-hot on Heatley, but if it's Penner, Smid and a prospect not named Magnum PS or Eberle….that's not a bad deal for a 50 goal scorer.

The inclusion of Cogliano's name in the labels section scares me Lowetide. Bigtime.

10. DBO says:

??????? don't hurt me. so what was the offer? Smid, Penner and a prospect? Don't really want Heatley but to get rid of Penner it's not hard to start to like it a bit. I think Penner scores 30 with Spezza and Alfie, but man.So confused

HBomb: My tea-leaves reading tells me it's probably done (two online sources) and we're just waiting to see if Heatley approves it.

Also, there may be another deal (NYR) too, but I don't think it's Penner/Smid plus at this point.

Which is a shame.

12. Smytty777 says:

If it's going to happen it will be in the next hour and a half, 10MST deadline on the payment to Heater.

I would do Smid, Penner and Chorney (who I believe Ottawa likes) for Heatley.

I actually quite like all of those players, but Heatley would bring something this team has been missing for a very long time.

13. Anonymous says:

If Cogliano's in a deal, let's hope Heatley kills it.

14. mjsh says:

LT. does what you hear include Cogs?

15. Hoos says:

Where are the sources? I'm LOSING it right now!

16. Smytty777 says:

To clarify, I prefer the Oilers take a moderated approach and do not rade for Heatley. My preference is Manny Malhotra. Hello perfect 3C.

17. Lord Bob says:

You know, I say this all the time, but seriously, any Cogliano-for-Heatley trade that doesn't include Staios, Moreau, and going back in time to assassinate Steve Smith and Ty Conklin is going to make me a Blue Jackets fan.

Sportsnet is claiming Coglliano is in the Oilers' offer

My main objection with trading Cogliano is that we don't know what he is yet. You know, I like Smid and Penner and lots of other Oilers, but Gagner and Cogliano haven't shown themselves as full blown NHL players yet.

It's a bad idea to trade them at this point. Pass on Heatley and if you must spend 7.5M on someone call Gaborik or Hossa.

Or hell, call Jagr.

20. Smytty777 says:

TSN is now reporting Cogs, Penner and Smid. Not good.

21. Clodagh says:

Getting buddy w the 4M hit means you're supposed to get him easy

Not Cogs for chrissakes. Shoots 15 percent?
    I thought we had Murray over the barrel!!

22. Phil says:

TSN is saying all of Cogs, Penner, and Smid. That's too much.

23. DBO says:

i have talked myself out of and into thsi deal a million times. if we move Penner's deal, then this deal is palatable as long as it does not include Cogs. If it does, then I would guess they keep the defense the same, sign Betts for 3C and that is it.

Heatley-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Nilsson-Gagner-O'Sully
    Moreau-Betts-Pisani
    Jacques-Brule-Stortini

Greb-Vish
    Gilbert-Souray
    Staios-Peckham
    Strudwick

Better team then last year.

24. Traktor says:

We better not move Cogs.

Cogs IS in the deal I've read about btw. Penner and Smid are other names but don't know how it shakes down.

26. Phil says:

If the TSN report is true, then is smacks of Katz pushing the buttons, and if that's the case, this team is royal screwed as long as he's the owner.

27. Anonymous says:

Smytty777,

Looking forward to following Nash next year.

28. Bruce says:

Sportsnet is claiming Coglliano is in the Oilers' offer]

Oh good, it's only Sportsnet. Which "expert" is spouting his mouth off this time? Doug MacLean? John Garrett? Bill Watters?

29. striatic says:

if it is "Cogs, Penner and Smid for Heatley", does that leave any cap space left to play with tomorrow?

30. Lord Bob says:

Cogliano, Penner, and Smid?

Okay, what's the opposite of magic beans?

I mean, Dennis (right?) said that we traded Pronger for magic beans because we gave up an established superstar for Five Assets(tm).

Well, we're giving up a minimum of three NHL players for a washed-up massively overpaid malcontent who people would avoid like patient zero for swine flu if his name was "Bob Smith" and he was from Hartford when this team's entire problem is "not enough NHL players".

Good christ. Quick, someone someone put together a call between Heatley, Chris Pronger, and Jason Arnott.

31. HBomb says:

If it's Cogliano that's the third part, the name "Smid" should read "Staios" instead.

Honest to God….

32. Phil says:

*royally*

33. Traktor says:

Tambellini would be an idiot to sell the farm a couple hours before unrestricted free agency.

Heatley 7.5M

Penner 4.25M
    Cogliano 1.113
    Smid rfa probably about 1M

So, no.

35. mjsh says:

Even if Cogs is in the deal, I would do it. You get to keep Gilbert, you might not be able to afford to keep both Gagner and Cogs next year and Cogs cannot win enough faceoffs to be a center. Great speed though.

Not only that, Penner's contract is gone.

36. Smytty777 says:

TSN is now saying it is a done deal if Heatley agrees to waive his no trade clause. Penner, Smid and Cogs. I repeat, not good.

37. PunjabiOil says:

I like the fact we're not giving up on Gilbert.

Rumoured deal as per Bob McKenzie on sportscenter is Cogliano + Penner + Smid

38. Lord Bob says:

Well, I like the fact that we're not trading Sam Gagner, Ales Hemsky, and not kicking every single Oiler fan square in the testicles.

I mean, Katz is kicking every Oiler fan square in the testicles in the proverbial sense by turning this team into Alberta's Toronto Maple Leafs and seemingly trying to make sure that they will never win a Stanley Cup in any of our lifetimes, but that's not what I meant.

39. PunjabiOil says:

I'm a fan of this deal, if it goes down.

Cogliano is replaceable with Nash, Eberle, Omark, Sullivan in the system.

If Dany vetos this deal, how would these 3 individuals feel?

Look, they just have to stop moving the center of the fucking cluster around. This is so dumb! We suffered through TWO SEASONS of growing pains and now Cogliano is gone to Ottawa along with Penner and Smid who are useful pieces.

Sweet Jesus Christ, we're the Chicago Cubs.

41. Bank Shot says:

Why? Heatley is and very likely always will be the best player in the deal, by alot.

42. Dcfung says:

Are there any upsides to this deal? Let's play for devil's (angel's?) advocate for a moment.

Penner – We drop his $4.25M. No question that this is the biggest part of this trade.

Cogliano – There's no doubt that he's an excellent and young player, however, he's unproven and unsigned. What are the odds that he AND Gagner will both sign here in two years and/or escape offer sheets in the coming season.

Smid – Seems to me to be the throw in, it's painful to watch us part with someone who we spent so many minutes developing, but that's the catch: he hasn't developed past a useful 5/6 D-Man despite projections.

Can these arguments outweigh Heatley's massive contract amount/length?

43. dubya says:

I have to admit I have trouble reconciling people criticizing Heatley for being a 28 year old, overpaid player who can't outperform his contract when those same people will defend 31 year old Shawn Horcoff's contract. Horcoff's good at many things, Heatley's great at one thing.

44. mc79hockey says:

I'm going to post on this but I think I like it.

One must figure that Katz has been given permission to talk to Heatley.

46. Smytty777 says:

Bank Shot: if the Oilers were "one player away" I would love the deal. But what does this really accomplish, it makes us a better team next year so we probably grab a playoff spot, but are we really competing with the Detroits of the world. Not likely.

47. Lord Bob says:

There's no way to high-five each other by dropping a legitimate NHL player's $4.25 million when we're getting a legitimate NHL player's $7.5 million back.

That's, what, five or six legitimate NHL veterans worth of cap space? That's pretty much an entire serviceable third line assembled from whole cloth worth of cash for an over-the-hill, coach-killing defensive liability even if we weren't giving up so much to bring him in.

48. Deano says:

Hopefully its for Heatley+someone else.

LT – not knowing what Cogs is yet is partially MacT's fault for not putting him onto the wing last year.

Katz is gonna prove he can land big-name talent, even if its someone that nobody else wants.

There ARE positives, of course. The Oilers have a sniper in Heatley and the top line and PP are improved.

However, is Heatley a difference maker? Is he a guy who can play against tough opponents and outscore them?

If the Oilers had a bunch of veterans in secondary roles and could afford to do a 3-NHLers-for-1-NHLers.

One thing for sure: it's Tambellini's team now.

50. gogliano says:

With Penner joining Brodziak (and using Cogs to do it), I think it is clear Tambellini is cleaning house.

Will we be getting the good Dany Heatley or the bad Dany Heatley?

52. PunjabiOil says:

Meh. Cogliano's limit is a 50-60 point player. Heatley immediately improves the team, and is in the prime of his career.

Thinking about Heatley-Horcoff-Hemsky 82 games a year makes the hair under my armpits stand right up.

I got a text from my moderator buddy…Gregor said done deal! YESSS

53. mc79hockey says:

LB – I defended some of the lower scoring guys in days of yore by pointing out that it's hard to complain about lower scorers (like Horc) if they're diligent in their own end: outscoring is outscoring. Same goes for Heatley, just in reverse.

It's done, folks. Official.

55. HBomb says:

Heatley and Hemsky could very well be dynamite, and Horcoff will fill the Alfredsson role and keep things honest and do the dirty would.

It COULD be a dominant power-vs-power line. COULD be.

56. mc79hockey says:

I got a text from my moderator buddy…Gregor said done deal! YESSS

He's also reporting that the Oilers are interested in Heatley because he's waiver exempt.

57. mjsh says:

Interesting conversation while we wait. I believe the team that gets the best player always wins the deal. I saw Heatley as a junior and truly believe he has heart. The OIl have too many small forwards and one good one had to go. We still keep O'sullivan and Gagne and seem to have a few good young ones in the pipeline. As it has been said before, when was the last time the Oil had a 40 goal scorer?

58. sacamano says:

I like it.

Shipping Penner out doesn't break me up. Losing Smid hurts, but you have to give to get.

And, I actually think Cogliano is overrated. I have no numbers to back this up, but my guess is that he turns out to be a speedy player of limited utility. Marchant, but with better hands and less grit?

59. goldenchild says:

If those 3 are the 3 going something else has to be coming back with Heatley no?

60. mc79hockey says:

@Sacamano – I'm talking to Cosh and we're both pretty much saying the same thing.

61. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

Any opinions on Heatley's ability and not just contract? He's a superstar, in my opinion. Not too old. Goal scorer. We could pay him the money if he delivers the goods. Seems like he's done that every year and you can't say that about anyone around here since dougie.

62. Dcfung says:

LordBob:
    But in swapping a 50-60 point guy for a 80-90 point guy, aren't we essentially paying $3.25 mil for 30-40 points? I'm not saying that the cost isn't steep and painful, but at the same time guys like Heatley don't grow on trees (not since the 80's at least). Thoughts?

63. Lord Bob says:

mc79, I don't mean to say Heatley's a bad hockey player. You're right, outscoring is outscoring and you can't have too many guys who can do that. If there were no salary cap and Katz was just spending money, I'd be at the front of the high-five line (assuming I hadn't already snuffed myself over that Bouwmeester contract).

But this team isn't one good player away from being a contender. We need four or five players capable of keeping their heads above water right now, not one good player and four pieces of roadkill from Springfield.

64. Steve says:

I believe the team that gets the best player always wins the deal.

So Montreal won its trade today?

65. Bank Shot says:

How do the Oilers get further away by aquiring Heatley? They give up a first line winger that is overpaid by about $2 million, for a guy that is overpaid by $1 million. Guys better then Penner can be picked up for next to nothing….Glencross.

Smid doesn't want to be in Edmonton anyway, and would be playing bottom six minutes, and he never developed much.

Cogliano is a tough pill to swallow, but he seemed to have trouble cracing the Oilers' ragged powerplay, and is no defensive stalwart.

The way I see it, its basically spare parts and Cogliano for Heatley, and Heatley very likely outperfoms Cogliano over the length of his contract.

66. PunjabiOil says:

Heatley Horcoff Hemsky
    Nilsson Gagner O'Sullivan
    Moreau Bettes Pisani
    Stortini Pouliot Brule

Souray Visnovsky
    Gilbert Grebeshkov
    Staios Peckham

??
    Bundle of suck

I should say that Gregor was the source for me saying it is official and now he's saying it's 99%.

So let's slow down a little.

68. Lord Bob says:

Dcfung: Given Penner's defensive superiority to Heatley and their differing icetime situations, I'd say that while Heatley is (obviously!) quite a bit better than Penner it's not as big as the gulf in points.

The problem is that, if I may quote basically every LT post since the All-Star break, this team needs more NHL players, and this is a trade that will inevitably result in us having fewer NHL players. Heatley is better than Penner, but he's one man. So Heatley-Horcoff-Hemsky (the Triple H line – at least that's something) go out and outscore, then we roll Johnny Pohl, Rob Schremp, and my little brother and they get smeared all over the ice.

We come out behind, and because so much of our money is tied up on the top end we're powerless to do anything about it.

69. sacamano says:

@MC & Cosh

Word.

70. mjsh says:

Steve. Yes. Funny but I saw Gomez play junior as well. Arrogant little pri** but a great player

71. mc79hockey says:

In my view, they need to upgrade the top of the roster. Cogs is blocked indefinitely by Horc/Gagner and doesn't want to play wing. There are four guys in front of Smid, with pressure from the rear. Penner isn't really worth his contract.

FWIW, I'm not convinced Heatley's overpaid.

72. LittleFury says:

YOU ARE WRONG.

73. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

Heatley Horcoff Hemsky
    Nilsson Gagner O'Sullivan
    Moreau Bettes Pisani
    Stortini Pouliot Brule

Souray Visnovsky
    Gilbert Grebeshkov
    Staios Peckham

??
    Bundle of suck

I say that they're far from finished. One of Gilbert, Vish or Souray are out of here sometime before they drop the puck.

74. Deano says:

Down 2 centers from last season's team.

Eminger to replace Smid please.

75. PunjabiOil says:

I expect disappointment. Oilers style

76. HBomb says:

Lowetide: done? Or done pending approval? Sez who?

Lord Bob makes the point I was about to, and that is with regard to actual NHL players.

IF they replace Cogliano and Smid with veterans (as in UFA signings that have experience and can play against tough opponents or outscore the soft parade) then we're farther ahead for next season.

When we're done that, we'll talk about what the last 3 seasons of development at the NHL level were all about.

78. Steve says:

Not disputing that; he's clearly the best player in the deal. But I still hope that Bob Gainey stocked up on anus-molded cotton balls before making it.

(You only *think* those don't exist.)

79. spOILer says:

Does the JBo deal pull the trigger on this deal?

Is Cogs involved if JBo is not signed by the Flames?

80. Bank Shot says:

Actually too much money is tied up in the Oilers' mushy middle.

Guys like Moreau, Pisani, and Staios making too many dollars. Drop a couple of them and pick up a couple of bargain UFAs that are always availible when other teams are big game hunting and the Oilers are further ahead then last season.

Deal done. Lordy.

82. kris says:

Well, alot of the criticism here is about the past being wasted. The past is the past. We've been half developing, half shooting for wins since the departure of Pronger. At least now it's clear we're in win now mode and who our core is: the triple H line, Vis., Gilbert, etc. Gagner and other youngsters are now a compliment; they're not our focus.

Losing Cogs sucks, but dumping Penner means that taking on Heatley's 1MM or so overpay is a wash, sort of. That's awesome. Can't be understated.

Smid was getting better but is replaceable, IMO. He's a defense first, 4-5 guy with some size.

All in all, a win, but not a robbery.

Even better, we now have a chance of making the playoffs during the next year of cheap Gagner-Hemsky.

Now, Tambi get us a 3C and a PK'er or all is for naught.

83. Lord Bob says:

mc79: even if Cogs will never make it in Edmonton and should be used as trade bait, I'd be much happier swapping him for established NHL depth than a magic bullet.

(That's it. "Magic bullet". Magic beans and magic bullets. I like it.)

Now, if you like Heatley's contract, that obviously changes everything. I don't. It ain't Kiprusoff but it ain't Curtis Glencross either, to use a couple examples close to our hearts.

Something else to remember (and this is probably impossible to get out of the numbers, but it's not a good sign) is that Heatley has played almost every game of his career with elite players: the Kovalchuks, the Alfredssons, the Spezzas. In Edmonton, his linemates will not be anything like that good. That has to do something.

84. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

To say that this leaves us down NHL level players ignores the possibility that Tambi and the guys are far from done on making this a different/better team.

85. goldenchild says:

Now its apparently Official Official.

86. Deano says:

LT – you're right about moving the core. Tambo better just be getting started.

Fun times this summer

87. Oilman says:

over the hill? seriously?

And how many FA's were coming to Edmonton this year? We offered Hossa what, $80million? And he played for $7m in Detroit. It's all well and good to say just go out and sign the right guy, but the feeling has to be mutual – and let's face it – Vishnovsky and now Heatly would not be Oilers had they not signed contracts to play somewhere else and other factors brought them here. Losing Cogliano hurts, but not losing Gilbert doesn't. No more excuses for Hemsky now either….could be a lot worse – we could have traded Cogs straight up for Gomez.

88. striatic says:

With Brodziak and Cogliano both gone, Heatley leaves the lineup with a gaping hole at centre, with no money to fill it.

89. Dcfung says:

LordBob:
    Good points.

Assuming it's a done deal, what do we have left to play with in terms of cap space? And what are we missing?

Obviously goal needs to be addressed and
    looking at PJOil's depth chart… we probably need another more veteran 2nd Liner. D looks good, Is anyone else happy with the prospect of Peckham starting? Can we possibly make a beauty out of what we have left?

90. Zaid says:

its offical .. finally a bonafide scorer who can take our team to the next level .. no more waiting for someone too score

91. Bar Qu says:

Erg, but if it is done, it is like complaining about gravity. Pointless and futile.

Still, Cogliano may be a bitter pill for us to swallow looking 5 years down the road. I wonder and hope not.

One other pin needs to drop tomorrow and I wonder if it is Souray.

92. Bank Shot says:

Gagner and other youngsters are now a compliment; they're not our focus.

That's a good thing because the Oilers' youth does not compare to other rebuilding teams around the league.

At least now the Oilers are aiming for 8th or better instead of 10th and another non-surefire prospect and more seasons of limping in no man's land between the playoff teams and the future powerhouses built from last place finishes.

93. DanMan says:

This is exciting we are just ONE player away now. And thats between the pipes. With a hot goalie we can challenge for the northeast and get into the top 4 or 5 in the west.

We had a good team last year that had a lame duck coach and were in the 6-9 range for the majority of the year until our big guns (horc and hemsky) went cold and the big Vish got hurt.

On paper, as of now, we are in the top half of the west.

94. PunjabiOil says:

As of now it's done.
    Lindros/Nylander done.

95. Lord Bob says:

With Heatley on the team, you can't buy a new pair of running shoes without giving equal salary back in exchange. So who do you trade to get our NHL-level depth?

Visnovsky, Gilbert, and Hemsky are the only guys on this team worth their big contracts. Souray has a no-trade clause. Staios, Moreau, and probably Pisani and Nilsson have negative value. Nobody else makes any money.

96. Bank Shot says:

It shouldn't take much to fill the 3rd and 4th line spots.

97. goldenchild says:

Its hard to judge this move on its own, they are going to have to shed some contracts to fill out the roster with NHLers but its not impossible. A 3rd line C, an NHL goalie, a couple of PKers and all is not lost. If they stand pat with this group and hope the Springfield Falcons can fill the holes left then yes they're fucked.

98. Jeff J says:

As someone who has seen a lot of Heatley over the past few years…

get used to being unable to notice anything other than his perma-dilated pupil in TV interviews.

99. knighttown says:

I like Heatley just fine but its soooo frustrating that any player we pick has to be a trade where we lose real talent.

Calgary picks up a number 1 defenseman for a 3rd rounder. We pick up an equivalent player for 2 (ex) first rounder, developed and ready to go.

Unless we can grasp the FREE part of free agency we're always taking baby steps. I'm not blaming anyone and maybe if we prove we can win things will change but it seems like we're destined to spend to the Cap every year and finish 8th.

100. Oilman says:

Those three years landed a potential 50 goal man signed for 5 years – not something our prospect development or free agency attempts have been able to do in how many years now? It's a valuable trick for a one trick pony to have.

101. mc79hockey says:

…even if Cogs will never make it in Edmonton and should be used as trade bait, I'd be much happier swapping him for established NHL depth than a magic bullet.

I always find those trades to be hit or miss type deals. Trading for depth is difficult to pull off and who knows what's going to come back.

Hemsky is in their league on the PP. ES, we might see a drop but I'm convinced that Kovalchuk is an ES wizard either.

102. JK says:

WTF?

Please tell me they found a way to keep Cogs and/or Smid…

The big rumour down here in Mordor now that Bouwmeester is in the fold has Phaneuf going to Ottawa with a package of picks for Heatley…and/or that Regher's injuries are potentially career threatening.

If you think you feel sick to your stomach right now, think about how you'll feel if and when that happens.

Either way, Tambellini had better be some kind of evil genius wizard Jedi tomorrow in terms of having several things up his sleeve.

JK

103. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

Good insight, Bob.

I guess I'm just naive and hopeful that there is more. Like a little boy who opened up the give chirstmas present first and smiled while his eyes rolled around looking for something else hidden behind the desk.

104. Phil says:

I don't know how a guy would track this stat down, but I would bet that the Oilers are now the only NHL team with two players who are partial occular albinos.

Just saying.

105. firemedic136 says:

they got rid of 2 centers this week. Time to get some ASAP.

106. knighttown says:

@ Jeff J

Great. We already have to deal with high-def Horcoff with his mis-matched eyes.

107. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

"Big christmas present" Big! Pink bunny Big!

108. Chris says:

Cogliano has alot of nice things that he brings to the table. Faceoffs and the ability to play centre really aren't one of them. His inepitude there rivals Shaq at free throws. He's lightning fast and he can score though and those are things that are quite useful and entertaining in a hockey player.

Heatly is certainly an offensive weapon. We do have a playmaker in Hemsky and defensive consciousness in Horcoff to ride shotgun with those two. If Souray, Visnosky, Gilbert and Grebskov are all sticking around we also have what looks to be the makings of an excellent power play.

I supose for those of us that are unhappy about losing Cogliano, at least second line young forwards was a position where we had guys to give up in the system. We did just draft a Swedish version of Cogliano who doesn't think he's a centreman.

109. PunjabiOil says:

Heatley's agent saying he hasn't waived it yet.

Where do the media get their sources?

110. William says:

Heatley = good
    Heatley's cap hit = sorta bad
    Losing Penner's cap hit = good
    Losing 3 established (more or less) NHLers (and a LW to boot) = bad
    Not losing any draft picks = good
    Wasting time on development of Smid = bad
    Triple-H first line = good
    Still need goaltender + 2 centers = bad
    Heatley scoring 30-40 goals for the next 3 years = good
    Cogliano developing into a 25 goal scorer for the next 3 years @ $2.5M/yr = bad

Ugh, mixed emotions, head spinning. It'll be interesting to see what finished product gets iced this fall. 1 tinker, 1 balls-out shop for the shiny bling, now we just need a couple of trips to the 7-11 to get us our 2 value centers/PKers…

111. kris says:

LT,

Minor quibble with your main post:

I don't think they should stop ALL development. You can play Gagner against the soft and Peckham as 6-7 guy, Stortini in the bottom 6, JFJ and Brule as sometimes bottom 6forwards.

You just need to stop MOST of the development stuff.

This probably means the end of Pouliot, unless he develops overnight before camp. Nilson is gone if they can move him, but that was a foregone conclusion.

I'm feeling good all of a sudden. The first time since the cup run since we have a lineup that looks good on paper. (Assuming we can get a 3C.)

112. Lord Bob says:

Okay, I have to admit. If I never see Andrew Cogliano take another draw again in copper and blue, that's just fine by me. I like that part of the deal.

113. striatic says:

"It shouldn't take much to fill the 3rd and 4th line spots."

those spots are important enough not to hand wave away. it also puts a hell of a lot of pressure on Gagner, who had trouble delivering last year.

114. Lord Bob says:

Is it too early to declare that The Vaunt is Back?

115. danny says:

Heatleys silence is deafening.

116. Rick says:

It sucks losing Cogs, but if you think that Tambellini is going to stand pat after acquiring Heatley, a "win now" type of player, you're crazy.

I'd still expect one of Staios, Viz or Gilbert moved to clear room for a less expensive top-6 forward and a stay-at-home defender who can play Quinn's system.

Wonder if Rollie will re-up now. :D

117. Jeremy says:

wow

118. goldenchild says:

The one thing we should take from today is that there is always somebody around to take these seemingly untradeable contracts. Gomez, Penner, Heatley all with contracts that got moved, there are enough bad contracts in this league that at the very least you can move yours for somebody else's. There will be a bunch more bad contracts handed out to tomorrow so when Heatley asks for a trade in 2 years we can flip him for somebody else mistake.

119. PunjabiOil says:

Nothing comes easy for the Oilers.

Nothing.

120. Oilman says:

Cogliano developing into a 25 goal scorer for the next 3 years @ $2.5M/yr = bad

Cogliano will make no less than $3.5m, likely north of $4m on his next contract if he continues to develop.

121. fever4flames says:

wow suprised the coil are getting rid of coiliano — he was a qaulity young player who actually would of been an impact perfromer in the future. as a flames fan its going to be fun watching the chaos of tambelini trying to repair the damage that he just did to his team over the coarse of the season

i would not be surprised 2 see heatley vastly underform like other recent coil acquisitions (a la o'sullivan/cole/peca/lupul/penner/pronger for the first half of 2005)

122. rickibear says:

two years from now who are you going to want on your LW:

1LW Heatley
    2LW ?????????
    3LW ?????????
    4LW JAcques

Who to fill the other two spots?

Cogliano
    MPS
    Omark
    Hartikainen

123. Schitzo says:

As much as moving cogs would suck, it helps to break up the logjam of small players. Lets be honest, were we ever going to win with Cogs/POS/Nilsson/Eberle/Omark all getting a chance to play?

124. Schitzo says:

rickibear: Forgot POS in there.

125. Deano says:

rickibear – Magnum PS and Hartikainen please.

126. Anonymous says:

I don't understand why Oiler fans would possibly complain about this deal.

We shed Penner's contract and his lacklustre play (quote all the advanced stats you want, that guy did not help us win games).

We lose Smid, which is unfortunate since we've put a lot of time into him, but we're deep enough at the back end.

We lose Cogs. Sure he's a good enough prospect but he'll never be near Heatley level.

We've got what everyone is asking for…a top-line forward. We get rid of a small forward, which we had to do and we shed a bad contract.

Outstanding deal, imo.

127. fever4flames says:

then again it appears that heatly STILL hasnt waived his NTC … wouldnt be suprised if he would rather stay in ottawa. lol.

128. Lord Bob says:

A little too much serious analysis for fever4flames. I'd have just gone with "lol @ COILERS i hope heatley isn't driving hemsky to any games this year! GO FALMES!"

129. Schitzo says:

Another thought – what are the odds that Calgary entered the bidding in the last 4 hours and we're now outbiddng a Phaneuf offer?

130. PDO says:

fucking fantastic deal.

Cogliano hurts.

Smid? No.

Penner? No.

We just traded Cogliano for Dany Heatley, and evened up the cap.

We kept together Vis, Souray, Grebs, Gilbert.

This is fucking fantastic.

131. danny says:

Its safe to assume Nilsson is being buried in Springfield no?

132. Jonathan Willis says:

This deal is probably a win for Edmonton. But what a price to pay.

133. Lord Bob says:

"Heatley for a warm hug" outbids a Phaneuf offer in my neck of the woods.

134. Rick says:

Wonder if Rollie will re-up now. :D

135. Coach pb9617 says:

One thing for sure: it's Tambellini's team now.

Nope. It's Katz' team.

They can't pay Roloson anywhere near 3 million now.

This team is so fucked on the cap.

They have to do Souray for Johnson and Simmonds.

136. Bar Qu says:

The good question to ask is not if this is a good deal, but whether the Oil will fill the holes they created today. THAT will be the tale told by tomorrow.

137. Rick says:

Wonder if Rollie will re-up now. :D

138. Lord Bob says:

Guys, just got a text message from Katz. You'll probably be interested in this.

"ne1 in edmonton area want to be a third-line centre? league minimum salary plus expenses. also looking for starting goalie with own pads."

139. Deano says:

Bar Qu – Heatley fits in Penner's spot.

Smid is the last hole in the lineup.

Cogs did not fill the hole he was in.

Unless you have a good hockey team that good hockey players want to play for, you will never win in free agency.

I think we are closer to that today than we were yesterday.

This is the correct answer.

141. Rick says:

Wonder if Rollie will re-up now. :D

142. PDO says:

Coach….

How do you figure?

Nilsson will be gone, and it's even on the cap even once you consider replacements.

143. Schitzo says:

So, how bad does this city look in another 38 minutes when Heatley doesn't waive the NTC?

144. Oilman says:

My pads are the wrong color scheme – but I'm 5 years younger than Roli.

145. danny says:

Nothing yet? This isn't going to end good.

146. Lord Bob says:

I'm sending these comments from Heatley's lawn in Ottawa where I'm burning Chris Pronger's furniture, throwing beer bottles at Heatley's head, and wearing an Oilers jersey. Hopefully I'll get him to keep that NTC!

kris: My hyperbole is showing. :-)

Let's do this piece by piece:

Goal: Signing Roloson is fine, but are we really going to devote 25 games to Deslauriers?

Defense: Souray, Visnovsky, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Staios, Strudwick, Peckham. I'd suggest signing another defender from the Hejda tree and moving Peckham down the depth chart.

Center: Horcoff-Gagner-Pouliot-Betts, Brule. I'm actually okay with that setup, Betts is good in the faceoff circle and I've always been a fan out Poo. If they decided to sign a more expeirenced hand Id be fine with it.

Left Wing: Heatley, O'Sullivan, Moreau, Jacques, Reddox. Size is certainly less of an issue and the top two LW's are shooters. It's a nice lineup, especially if Crazy Train can figure it out, but I'd be happier if Sjostrom was signed.

Right Wing: Hemsky-Nilsson-Pisani-Stortini. Keeping in mind Pisani's injury troubles and Nilsson's inconsistent play, I'd say the Oilers need a Dvorak type.

So, that's adding:

1. Roloson
    2. Replacing JDD if he struggles
    3. D from Hejda tree
    4. Betts
    5. Sjostrom
    6. Dvorak type

So, if they do all that I'm happy. Because we're not developing a team in the traditional way anymore, we're not the Pollock Habs and we're not the Sather Oilers.

148. spOILer says:

best player!

149. Deano says:

Sportsnet says its done. TSN does not.

150. Anonymous says:

LT: MacT is the first person I've been thinking about in all of this, too. I'm kicking a few things for him/in honor of him…

151. William says:

Jonathan Willis said…
    This deal is probably a win for Edmonton. But what a price to pay.

Yes, Cogliano as the sweetener in the deal is that little chip from a really good plate of nachos that goes down sideways.

152. fever4flames says:

so noone else is distrubed that heatly STILL hasnt waived the NTC?

prediction time: this trade doesnt happen — which is actually a good thing for the coilers (tho not 4 deadmontons rep, lets be honest). it will delay another round of self beating behaviour for another day.

153. Chris says:

Think our worst case scenario to make the cap work is to bury Nilson and Staois in the AHL (aka the Lamorello funeral) if we can't get rid of them via trade or waivers. But hey apparantly Phoenix is taking players priced as Blue Light Specials from teams looking for cap room.

154. Schitzo says:

Dear God,

It's me, Margaret.

155. Bar Qu says:

Deano,

My point was more that in the past seasons one area was addressed while creating problems in two others. A continual imbalance. Yes, you are right about the fit for the team in those spots, but what about 3C? or 4C for that matter? Are there going to be quality NHLers to play there? And how will management address the poor PK that kept the team out of the playoffs last year? Those are the wholes I am wondering about.

156. Phil says:

So, earlier this week, Tambo said that Gagner and Cogs were off the table. Murray said that if a trade didn't happen before the bonus kicks in, there'd be no deal.

I'm wondering if Cogs was put back on the table, in exchange for the deal not going through until 12:01.

157. Coach pb9617 says:

They're at $54 million and they need a 3rd line C, a 6th D and a starting goalie. That also means Nilsson is a top six again and Deslauriers is the backup.

158. William says:

Though maybe MC is right and I'm just enamored with the idea of Cogs. Not sure how he would fit on our roster except as a winger or by starting to play like Clutterbuck.

Actually, it helps if you think of it as Cogliano being the starting point of the deal:

"Hey Murray: Cogs for Heatley? We'll even throw in Penner and Smid…"

159. Deano says:

Bar Qu

Center was a problem last year and we have traded half of them this week. There is more movement coming.

160. Bank Shot says:

This trade doesn't create any holes though. The Oilers kept their area of strength on the blueline and added to the PP and the first line.

There are alot more third line and PK optins availible on July 1st then there are 40 goal men.

161. JK says:

Heatley had better waive that NTC…

Tick Tock Tick Tock

Who in the hell is going to play center on this team?

My guess is a few of Quinn's boys rejoin him in the coming days and weeks.

JK

162. PunjabiOil says:

TSN ticker just said he has agreed to waive his NTC

163. jon k says:

I'm not sure I like the deal nearly as much with Cogliano included.

Even at a very superficial level we're giving them more goals for less salary. This assumes that Penner is good for 30 on Ottawa's top line and Cogliano for another 20-30.

It seems to me that Tambellini caved at the last minute and put in Cogliano.

164. boopronger says:

lol at gregor on 1260. hes pretty adamant that both sides have agreed to the deal including saying that they are just "working out some contractual shit"

165. sacamano says:

I'd say the Oilers need a Dvorak type.

Now that's the best analysis of the night!

D-VO, D-VO, D-VO!

166. danny says:

I hope Heatley is an Oiler, however should he not, Gregor stating its a done deal repeatedly, SURELY MUST warrant a lowetide post titled YOU ARE WRONG no?

167. mc79hockey says:

Dvorak's agent is on twitter and says this:

I am pleased to announce that Radek Dvorak is now a client. Impressed w his character and maturity.

Radek's quiet leadership by example is huge asset for any NHL team.

168. Coach pb9617 says:

I'd say the Oilers need a Dvorak type.

I have Devo's end-to-end rush on my cell phone. Good times.

169. Bar Qu says:

This is where I hope 2009 differs from previous iterations. DOES management make the rest of this week work for the team? or do we see an unbalanced version lurch toward 10th place again?

I hope Tambo does well tomorrow and that there are teams looking to take big contracts for beans.

170. Smarmy Boss says:

Wow this is the best forward we've had on this team since Weight. The best winger we've had on this team since I don't know who.

I choose to like this trade. I like all three of Penner, Cogliano, and Smid but I'd move them for Heatley.

This deal does seem to stink a little of the possibility that Edmonton had to move on this trade or face the ire of missing out again and seeing Calgary get Bouwmeester. That might be the reason the Oilers offered Cogliano.

171. Coach pb9617 says:

Souray gotta go.

172. Lord Bob says:

Okay. I'm Steve Tambellini. I have the unlimited support of the owner. Dany Heatley has waived his no-trade clause. What do I do?

First, I take Moreau and Staios for a boat ride with Fredo Corleone and Al Neri. That gives a tolerable amount of breathing room under the cap.

Second, I give Ales Hemsky, Dany Heatley, Sheldon Souray, and Lubo Visnovsky first-class plane tickets, a twenty-four pack of Moosehead each, and a signed contract in a briefcase, and tell them to fly to Ole-Kristian Tollefsen and Freddy Sjostrom's houses and tell them to drink the Moosehead until they've both signed for between one and two million a pop.

Third, I get Blair Betts or Manny Malhotra or somebody who can play centre and knows what their own zone looks like.

Fourth, I assassinate Gary Bettman, but that would just be a good deed.

That team looks tolerable. But I have no confidence that Katz is that willing to burn his cash, and no confidence that Tambellini is that willing to screw over his popular veterans and alternate captains in Moreau and Staios.

173. Phil says:

Another thing that bothers me is that somehow it was made public that Katz instructed Tambo to pull out all the stops to get Heatley. That, in effect, takes the power away from Tambo as much as Heatley's request takes the power away from Murray. Maybe even to a greater degree.

Like going to a car dealership and the salesman knows you just won the lottery.

174. Big T says:

I'm warming….

The problem still lies with overpays by $500K each to Pisani, Moreau and Staios.

Move those contracts out for better value (or, just move Moreau and have Staios and Pisani play up to expectations) and the problem moves on.

Finding a couple DVO's for 2nd line RW and 3rd line LW (in place of Nilsson and Chopper) would be a good start.

A similar player to centre the 3rd and you may have something. Pahlson is probably too expensive, right?

Goalies are growing on trees this year with nary a difference maker to be found. Don't blow your load on goal!

Lot's of ifs but things could be promising in the coming years with some prudent YKOIL-esque moves.

T

175. PDO says:

You build your team from the top down.

Heatley – Horcoff – Hemsky

That's an elite line.

Visnovsky is an elite D. Souray, Grebs, Gilbert all round it out nicely.

More work to do, but that's how you build a team.

I'm going to build a fucking statue of Tambs.

176. Coach pb9617 says:

By the way LT, the only thing MacTavish should be kicking is his own ass around the room until he knocks his brain loose.

177. Steve says:

Rick: your message got through the first time.

178. Lord Bob says:

You build your team from the top down.

Look how well that worked for the Leafs and the Senators, after all.

179. jon k says:

On the one hand, we don't have to worry about Cogliano's woes at centre anymore.

We better get Manny Malhotra and Blair Betts.

180. Bruce says:

Well, they've already replaced Penner's, Cogliano's, Smid's, and Brodziak's salaries, with Heatley's. So they're still hard against the cap with three additional roster spots to fill.

181. HBomb says:

fever4flames: Buzz off.

I do like Heatley's scoring ability, and anyone who has watched more than 20 minutes of hockey knows scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the game.

Here's another problem:

Heatley 7.5M
    Visnovsky 5.6M
    Horcoff 5.5M
    Souray 5.4M
    Hemsky 4.1M

28.1M

183. Lord Bob says:

It's times like this I wish I still had an Oilers blog. I have about 5,000 words on how to build a hockey team that are just exploding to get out right now, but I'm stuck force-feeding them to Lowetide readers.

184. Coach pb9617 says:

You build your team from the top down.

And wind up with no depth in cap hell.

He better be moving Souray…

185. Greg MC says:

I agree Coach.

186. Ribs says:

Umm.. I'm trying to make this okay in my head, but I'm having troubles. It doesn't help that the girlfriend is ready to denounce her Oiler faith after another of her favourites has just been given the boot.

Hemmer and the Heat!
    Heatley better bring his goal scoring stick and he better man up in the dressing room and on the ice. He has a lot of work ahead of him to make this deal okay with me. He's a very talented goal scorer and he should pair up with Hemsky beautifully. He'll kick that Spezza kid to the curb.

Hemsky's bargain years are being put to better use. There is now no excuse for him not to jump to that next level.

I'm wondering why they sent Cogliano instead of O'Sullivan. Cogliano sucks at faceoffs. That's the only reasoning I can think of. Beauty pickup for Ottawa.

Penner wouldn't realise his earnings or his full potential on a second/third line role here. The money and depth chart needed him gone. I'm okay with this.

Sign Kotalik ASAP if he's not asking for the moon.

Man. I was really hoping that we'd get a better deal if it came down to the wire like this.

Still processing….damn…

187. Chris says:

I don't think the gap from Smid to Peckham is all that broad. I'm pretty comfortable with Peckham on the bottom pairing. I'd be happy if we replaced Staois and Strudwick with two million dollarish vets through.

188. mjsh says:

An Edmonton boy ends up in Calgary today and a Calgary boy ends up in Edmonton. fun times in the NHL

189. mjsh says:

190. PDO says:

H:

Get your ass over here with some beer.

This is fucking fantastic.

LT:

Easy cure.

Move the tweeners and find replacement guys making less. Nilsson, Staios, I'm looking at you.

191. Steve says:

Quote from a friend of mine: "You have to admit, the Oilers were getting low on guys who've killed people in car crashes."

(He's not actually that good a friend. Actually, a barely know the guy. I'm not a terrible person, I swear.)

(I kind of am, actually.)

192. HBomb says:

Coach: we'd need to move Souray PLUS ditch Nilsson, Staios or Moreau. And then we'd have some cap space to work with.

Right now, Tambellini is trying to work his way through a field of salary cap landmines laid down by Kevin Lowe.

193. Ribs says:

Snit, forgot Smid in the mess. Peckham is going to have to go into full out monster-mode.

194. Smarmy Boss says:

The Triple H line looks pretty sexy to me. The kind of line that can go up against anybody.

Now build a good bottom six Tambo.

Steve: You post about 10 times a year, and I pee my pants 8 of them. Jesus you're a funny guy.

196. mc79hockey says:

A friend of mine made that joke about 45 minutes ago but tied it into the Oilers issuing a press release trumpeting about how Heatley fits with their storied history. Really, that's more about the Oilers than anything else.

197. Lord Bob says:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't make that joke on Twitter about thirty-five minutes ago. I figured that LT's place deserved a bit more class, though.

198. Deano says:

jon k

We need Malhotra AND Betts to replace Cogs and Brodz?

199. Coach pb9617 says:

In theory that's the smart thing to do. And I agree with you Marge – in theory. In theory, Communism works. In theory.

This team does not do smart things.

Fuck. We're Leafs fans.