SNAFU

Word tonight from multiple sources: Dany Heatley is an Edmonton Oiler. Senators get three NHL players in return: Andrew Cogliano, a very good young player; Dustin Penner, an inconsistent winger who does bring some things; Ladislav Smid, a young defender who has been developing at the NHL level. A lot of young talent heading the other way.

Steve Tambellini puts his stamp on the Oilers tonight, with a big-time sniper for the 1line. With this as the backdrop, the only way this deal makes sense to me is if the Edmonton Oilers flush ALL of the development crap and go for it. By that I mean stop with the JDD experiment, keep Peckham on the farm, sign Kotalik and Dvorak and Betts and Fiddler. Enough with the development of the kids.

Craig MacTavish must be kicking a few things tonight.

573 Responses to "SNAFU"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. DBO says:

More is coming people. A 3rd line centre, a goalie and a cheap vet 6th dman. We've complained for years we don't make the big deal, now that we do we all hate it. I've now talked myself into this deal. You've essentially traded your 3rd line centre, your 2nd/3rd winger and your 6th defeneman. people, this is the Joe thornton deal. Yes heatley has some baggage, but we just got the 3rd best scoring winger in the game we gave up no one who had an impact last year. Cogliano was not going to move to wing and was not going to be a top 2 centre. Smid was not going to be a top 4 defenseman, and penner while I like him, essentially was a 3rd line winger last year. yes he should be better, but relax people. We over value our players. Put it this way, if you saw this deal who would you have thought won the deal:

3rd line centre, 5th defenseman, and a 2LW with a bloated deal who scored less then 20 goals last year for one of the best wingers in the league.

2. HBomb says:

PDO: I've got a dozen Coronas in the fridge. When the word comes down this is done, I'm cracking the first one.

We'd pay a steep price – but we're getting a damn good hockey player IMO.

3. Lord Bob says:

See, I've never complained that we don't make the big deal, so I retain moral purity.

PDO: The Oilers need to make some noise tomorrow imo. I mean aside from Roloson.

They need to offload Souray, coach is right.

5. mc79hockey says:

Lord Bob – what's your twitter? How am I not following your adventures living in that lady's basement?

6. Coach pb9617 says:

Quote from a friend of mine: "You have to admit, the Oilers were getting low on guys who've killed people in car crashes."

Your friend is a genius.

7. Phil says:

@LT

Calgary:

Iginla 7M
    Bou 6.6M
    Ugly 6.5M
    Kipper 5.833M
    Jokinen 5.25M

Total 31.183M

Yet they will find a way to work it out… so will we.

8. PunjabiOil says:

Maybe Murray is now waiting until the final minute for a better deal.

Payback?

9. Traktor says:

"They need to offload Souray, coach is right."

Hey look kids!!

10. Lord Bob says:

Getting value for Souray will be hard (I mean really hard) to do. Or are we talking about just getting rid of him, as in taking him for that aforementioned boat ride?

Because if so, we are rapidly running out of NHL defenders and Taylor Chorney is making sure his cell phone's battery is charged.

If we ever have a blogosphere reunion/get together, it'll resemble a Grateful Dead concert. Cocaine and wheel chairs.

12. Deano says:

Who said something about Ott having to eat the money to get Cogs?

13. HBomb says:

Ok, I'm not the only one who has made the car crash crack.

See you boys in hell, I'm guessing they only serve Mountain Crest and Royal Reserve at the bar.

14. Lord Bob says:

You can probably guess.

(Hint: it's "Lord_Bob".)

15. Mike says:

Cogs has potential, certainly. But assuming he doesn't peak next year at contract time we'd still be paying for that potential. Heatley on board is dollars sent out for a proven commodity. Secondary to that is the fact that aside from pure unteachable speed, cogs' youth and upside are duplicated on the roster and failing that, in the pipeline.

Out of our D corps we get to keep Souray, Vish, Gilby and Grebs. We suffer thorugh the rest of Staios' contract while priming Peckham or other Falcons (or securing a 6-7 UFA D). I truly liked Smid but I am over it.

Anyone who is upset seeing Penner leave town given that Heatley is on board is wrong in the head.
    This is a good thing ASSUMING Heatley is willing to act like an adult. Pat Quinn, do your job and we win.

16. mc79hockey says:

I keep pushing for a Toronto meetup. Dennis will crash at my place – we'll put you at Pat's. Someone has to get him home from the bar safely.

17. Deano says:

Hbomb
    The bar in hell serve Ovaltine.

18. Ribs says:

I can see it now…

Seriously though, it would be cool to have a gathering one of these years.

19. Anonymous says:

How long does it take to decide Dany? Come on!

20. HBomb says:

Deano: I'd rather drink Ovaltine than Mountain Crest. No lie.

21. Lord Bob says:

Ten minutes, plus however long it takes for word to filter in. This is end-of-Deliverance suspenseful.

22. Coach pb9617 says:

They need to offload Souray, coach is right.

And it can't be a dump. Tambellini needs to get two useful pieces back in that trade. Useful like a 3rd center and a cheap dman with cred.

23. Kevin says:

LT, I really agree that this is a scary trade that belies the established logic of cap management for team success. I would take my frustration even further. I'm really tired of this team. These last few days have just been turmoil as I've realized that the team is just going in a direction I strongly disagree with. This is true for two reasons:

First, I think that given that Smid will be replaced by Peckam, and cap problems (we added salary tonight) necessitates that Brodz be replaced by Brule, and Cogs be replaced by Potulny (or equivalent), that we truly lost this. We definitely got the best player, and in a league without a cap it would be a true win. But in my opinion as a hockey fan, management mis-identified the problem and thus aggressively sought a solution that will further unbalance the team.

I think this team is in for the Ottawa treatment – tons of regular season winning and scoring based on an incredible PP, and repeated early playoff exists due to lack of depth when the refs swallow the whistle.

Second, I think the team's obvious direction toward marketability as part of longer-term bid for a new, publicly subsidized arena is gross. I don't think this was a hockey deal – I think it was a money deal (not cap $, but pocket $ to pay for Katz's no doubt expensive talk and text plan). Big names and big scoring brings fans, and if Lowe and Katz are at all close to making a deal with the city happen, then fan support will be important. Again, I think the Oilers score like it's prom night every night, while Katz does it to the taxpayers in a very uncomfortable place.

I'm nearing the end of my Oiler-fandom, I think.

Lets go Blue-Jackets!!

We should get together when Quinn hits the big Smoke. I want to go to Gretzky's, Ballard's grave site (while drunk) and everyone has to remind me to stay hydrate.

25. Lord Bob says:

Coach: that's wonderful in theory, but how can it happen? Souray has an NTC and therefore gets to choose his destination. His destinations know that, and of course his age, cap figure, and injury history make him only semi-appealing anyway. What are our chances of getting, to pick two names at random, Jarret Stoll and Matt Greene given that context?

26. Jonathan Willis says:

I've sold myself. I like this trade.

Heatley's the best player in the deal, and they should still be able to shed salary on the back end. I'm guessing Souray, given the number of rumours.

The fact is that this isn't Stuart, Sturm and Primeau for Thornton, but it's still a good deal.

27. Tikanen Time says:

Eklund the joker says that Heatley turned down an Oiler's trade previously this week. Is this amount of delay for Dany to give his answer normal, or am I just crazy antsy?

28. pboy says:

Tambo must feel that O'Sullivan can replace Cogliano's production and honestly, he has every reason to think so. Acquiring a solid 3rd line center on the cheap + the addition of Heatley should solve alot of this teams problems. The 3rd liner (Betts or someone in his mold) should be able to mesh with Pisani and Moreau and be a shutdown line for us and in turn take a some of the weight off of Horcoff. Heatley should add 10-15 assists to Hemmer's totals and I can't imagine Heatley is any worse in his own end than Penner was so it's not like Horcoff will have to work any harder than he did last season, making up for Penner and Hemsky in their own end. It's alot to give up, I would have thought that maybe you could include Staios in the deal instead of Smid if we were paying the 4 million but obviously not. We just acquired a player who in an off year, put 39 goals in the net. The last time an Oiler did that was Ryan Smyth's rookie year. Heatley has a skill set we haven't seen in almost 2 decades and his entering his prime years. That can't be all that bad.

One thing I'll give Tambellini: he's taking the old pistole to MacT's HS bunch. Lordy.

30. Lord Bob says:

I just pegged Heatley's aged mother with a bottle of Corona between the eyes right in front of him. Then I yelled "SCORECOFF AND DIE! GOILERS!" So we're looking good so far!

31. Coach pb9617 says:

I know LB – see my Simpson's quote about communism.

This deal creates real problems for this team and requires a deft touch to fix. I'm not confident that Ahab and the guy that the Canucks thought sucked can get this done. Not at all.

Vishnovsky, Eberle and …. to Columbus for Klesla and Brassard?

Welcome to the unbalanced Oilers, Volume XII

32. tikanen time says:

See ya later Kevin. Hope the grass is greener in columbus.

33. Moose says:

RDS reporting he has turned it down.

34. Chris says:

Well ideally tomorrow Tambellini follows this up with Act 2 where he clears away the bloated contracts to Moreau, Staois and Nilson and replaces them with servicable and value priced players. Ideally we also sign two vetran keepers for less than what Roloson wants. We'll see if he can finese out cap situation or get Katz to let him bury the bodies in Springfield.

35. Anonymous says:

someone just posted on HF that RDS says "in French" that he didn't waive.. but i can't read French :-(

http://www.rds.ca/senateurs/chroniques/277518.html (in french.)

Anyone able to read it?

Kurri_17

36. mc79hockey says:

Yeah, I read french and it says he won't waive.

37. Moose says:

Tencer reporting that deal is conditional on midnight deadline or price goes up tomorrow.

38. danny says:

Gregor was wrong?

39. johnnyshaka says:

Imagine Bryan Murray saying "Ladislav Smid" three times fast.

That makes this deal worth it for me.

40. Lord Bob says:

Come on, Heatley! Think of the mosquitos! Think of all the ugly women falling over on Whyte Avenue every Friday night! Think of the architecture!

41. Deano says:

Penner, Smid and Cogs are all available now.

Kevin: You can't give up on them. Just can't. They're your team. In baseball, I'm a wandering fan and it's the saddest damn thing. I'm watching the Dodgers right now and wondering why Vin Scully isn't calling the game and comparing this pitcher (Billingsley?) to Bill Gullickson (similar names, delivery not so much) because my Expos are long gone.

So they're yours. You can pretend to cheer for Columbus but there's no connection. 10,000 things tie you to the Oilers. Might be some night you saw Dvorak skate like Perreault, or the '06 beauty team or the courage of Pisani.

But it's yours. You own it. Even this stupid damn trade. By tomorrow I'll be okay, but man I think Cogliano is going to be a good NHL player.

Heatley's the better man now though, so what we're dealing with is finding suitable replacements for Cogs and Smid and ciphering this crazy-ass cap hit.

43. Coach pb9617 says:

Yeah, I read french and it says he won't waive.

Awesome. If that's the case, Tambellini has just alienated Penner, Smid and Cogs.

Can we get Kevin Lowe back?

44. mc79hockey says:

If this is true and Heatley refuses to come here, you have to wonder how the player names get leaked to the media. It's obvious that there are leaks on the Oiler end of things – I doubt Gregor has any OTT connections.

REALLY!!!! He turned it down???? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

46. Lord Bob says:

Dustin Penner is eating his sixth Baconator of the night and just staring at his telephone.

Andrew Cogliano tried to pick up the phone and call Tambellini to ask what was going on, but his cat got the phone first eight times in ten.

47. mc79hockey says:

LT – RDS is like French Eklund.

48. Deano says:

Soooo….

Edmonton was on Heatley's list and he said no….

Wow.

49. danny says:

Well… Tambo just tossed Edmonton under the bus in true Lowe fashion.

Fan-flipping-tastic.

50. Lord Bob says:

I feel much the same way I felt about us losing out on Hossa. On one hand that contract (and this trade) would have made us a worse hockey team. On the other hand, it would have been so cool.

Winning hockey games is cooler, though.

51. Scarlett says:

If he took three hours to turn this down, what a douche. I still have hope and want this deal. He's worth the trade. He really is worth it!!!

52. Lucinius says:

Even though I'm not exactly pleased by the terms of the trade.. if he turns it down it'll hurt. I hate it when a player does that; and why even talk if the player is going to say "no" at the moment of truth?

53. Bar Qu says:

I can't imagine Heatley is any worse in his own end than Penner was

I take exception to that. Penner may have been a lot of things but he was a lot more defensively responsible than most Oilers were last year (not named Horcoff I mean).

Oh sweet Jesus this is a great day!!! I'm going to put down my beer and drive to chur—the beer store for more.

Beautiful!

55. mc79hockey says:

And just like that, the RDS story says something different. It now says he's on the point of becoming an Oiler.

I feel like I'm watching Back to the Future, when the newspaper changes for Marty and Doc when they fuck with the space time continuum.

56. Lord Bob says:

New theory: Heatley turned down the move to Edmonton because Calgary rushed in at the last moment to trade Phaneuf and Kiprusoff for Heatley and, somehow, Roberto Luongo.

57. rider guy says:

@johnnyshaka: that's gold. took me a second, but hey, if you can't make fun of somebody with a speech impetiment, who can you make fun of?

one thing about the whole no trade clause and whether he waives it…doesn't it seem strange that we're dealing with this when there's a hard deadline? clearly we aren't on the list of the teams that he originally told Murray he'd go to otherwise this would have been done an hour and a half ago. looks like murray took the best offer even if it's someplace heatley doesn't want to be and is putting the heat on him to take a deal to someplace he doesn't want to go.

58. Bruce says:

Fourth, I assassinate Gary Bettman, but that would just be a good deed.

Now there's a man who hasn't lost his perspective. Line of the night, Lord Bob … and there's been a few dandies. I must've laughed out loud 20 times reading this thread. And not cuz I'm in love with Dany Heatley.

59. Anonymous says:

So much fun… i must say it's entertaining if anything and thank god I don't work tomorrow morning….

Kurri_17

60. PunjabiOil says:

What an embarrassment for this franchise – maybe inquire before hand of interest?

61. Scarlett says:

It is NEVER easy being an Oilers fan, is it? Roller coaster baby!!

62. Lord Bob says:

Hard to blame Tambs if the reports are accurate, PunjabiOil. Heatley had reportedly said that Edmonton was a team he was willing to play for. So inquiries were made and Heatley changed his mind.

Of course, mc79 reports that RDS is reporting that Heatley is on the verge of being an Oiler, so…

63. Mike says:

OK all kidding aside is this deal done? Please, someone?

64. Gerta Rauss says:

I don't know what to feel right now.

It's bizarro world and I'm Jimmy Olson.

65. Schitzo says:

White russian = kahlua, vodka, milk.

White russian = good.

Replacing vodka with VANILLA vodka = awesome.

The end.

66. mc79hockey says:

They've now changed their story again. I'm interested to see if this becomes Gregor's "NYLANDER AN OILER"

67. Deano says:

No response IS the answer gents (and Scarlett)

68. Jonathan Willis says:

I can't believe the hatred for Tambellini here. What was he supposed to do, exactly? Not make an offer?

May I confess something: I've never gotten over G7, SCF.

There. I feel better.

So, what'd I miss?

70. Lucinius says:

Maybe he's on the verge of becoming an Oiler, but certain media types were so certain yet another player would say "no" that they had it prepped and it went out *cough*.

Seriously.. just.. so messed up right now.

71. mc79hockey says:

@Willis: I'd like to know how the players involved got leaked but otherwise agree.

72. Coach pb9617 says:

Heatley would have fit under the second cap.

73. Lord Bob says:

May I confess something, LT? I haven't gotten over Steve Smith banking the puck off of Grant Fuhr's leg and I wasn't born yet.

74. PDO says:

WTF is going on….

75. DBO says:

at least we're not Philly. they really overpaid

76. mc79hockey says:

May I confess something? I hate people born after 1986 commenting on LT's blog because it makes me feel old and I've got 30 staring me in the face.

77. Lord Bob says:

I'm not sure what to think. I mean, I hate the trade but I hate the Oilers seeming like a leper colony even more…

78. Lord Bob says:

mc79: for what it's worth, I was just born in really late 1986.

I'm absolutely convinced this is the best possible outcome. I'm serious.

80. Chris says:

Hmm well for what its worth the Score ticker is reporting it as a done deal. Anyone else humming "Will she stay or will she go?" As we wait to see how this is going to play out?

81. Phil says:

Seconded.

82. Lord Bob says:

I'm playing the most bombastic Meat Loaf songs I can find.

83. HBomb says:

See? Until TSN says it's done, it's not done.

So the bigger question is this: NOW WHAT?

84. Deano says:

If Heatley just lets the clock tick down who would want to take him?

85. Coach pb9617 says:

I'm absolutely convinced this is the best possible outcome. I'm serious.

There are a few of us. But it's really bad for Cogliano, Penner and Smid. These things don't end well.

Oilers' management continues to be a farce.

86. HBomb says:

Ok boys, good or bad, time to drink.

Corona is the selection of choice tonight. I'm having four, minimum.

And I don't know what to think.

87. Bruce says:

Maybe Heatley is waiting just long enough to fuck over the Sens for the four mill.

88. DBO says:

tsn says he rejected the deal. as per mackenzie

89. roadiejobs99 says:

heatley has rejected the deal

Hmmm, 12:15am EST and no official announcement.

91. LittleFury says:

Bobby Mac says it's done.

92. Coach pb9617 says:

So the bigger question is this: NOW WHAT.

Now act like a franchise that knows what the fuck they're doing.

93. Lord Bob says:

Heatley – Nylander – Jagr is now the first line of the Signed, Sealed, and Delivered All-Stars.

94. Chris says:

Bob McKenzie says the deal is dead, I buy that more than Garrioch saying its done.

Now this is the Dany Heatley that I've grown to "know" and "love" in Ottawa! (-.

96. Anonymous says:

Fell through.

97. R O says:

Damn, here I was ready to wish the Oilers the best of luck in 09/10.

98. DBO says:

only the Oilers

99. Jonathan Willis says:

Tyler: I'm going to blame Prendergast because that's what I've been doing lately ;)

As for Penner, I'm going to agree with something someone else said above: MacTavish's dog house is getting cleaned out quietly and efficiently. Both he and Nilsson should keep overnight bags packed at all times.

And if Tambellini is clearing out the guys who were clearly fighting with MacTavish, I'm not at all sure that reflects badly on him.

100. Smarmy Boss says:

Man it sucks cheering for the Oilers. Can't they just say they made a trade like a normal team? ARRRRGGGHHHHH!

101. Scarlett says:

What bullshit. Can Edmonton not get a damn break?

102. Chris says:

Interesting, I guess now we find out what Tambellini's Plan B is.

103. DBO says:

gregor now saying not sure what's happening but his source has never let him down. so weird. he still thinks it happened

104. LittleFury says:

This team is doomed to suck for now until the end of time. And i didn't even like the trade.

105. Lucinius says:

This is just insane. If he was going to decline it, isn't that something we should've known? Or did his mind change only recently? This is just pathetic, maddening and.. cringe-worthy. Sucks to be the Edmonton Trio.. almost as bad as it is to be Edmonton, perhaps.

I wonder what Heatley will say about declining the trade.

106. goldenchild says:

Wow, how embarassing

107. Lord Bob says:

It was a real faceoff between the Oilers and Heatley to determine which way this would go.

Unfortunately, the Oilers sent Cogliano out to take it.

108. Gerta Rauss says:

Now is the time for that face palm LT.

Love or hate the trade,this is just ugly.

Ug.
    Ly.

109. Mike says:

OK then the Edmonton Oilers officially do not belong in the NHL.

I am done with this franchise. Seriously. You folks carry on.

M

110. walkinvisible says:

my buddy in ottawa is calling heatley a douche and saying he's refused to waive. any truth to this ?

111. Krankor says:

Plan B is to publicly court a high-profile UFA only to be snubbed at the last minute.

It's foolproof, really.

112. DBO says:

not feeling well, but I am so getting a beer

I really don't understand why Tambellini would be at fault here. Clearly this is a deal that was extremely close and both sides were releasing stuff.

Kypreos mentioned Cogliano's name and Millard said "the heatley deal is done…. cogliano the other way" over an hour ago and it was on tsn too (with names).

So this is business as usual in the modern NHL. Hard to frame this as an Oiler screwup exclusively.

114. fever4flames says:

haha wow. once again i called it.

115. Lord Bob says:

OK then the Edmonton Oilers officially do not belong in the NHL.

Seriously, how is this the organization's fault? This is about the only thing in the last five years that they can't reasonably be blamed for.

116. Schitzo says:

So glad I was drunk by 8:30 tonight.

117. HBomb says:

fever4flames: Get lost, troll.

118. Coach pb9617 says:

Unfortunately, the Oilers sent Cogliano out to take it.

You're my new favorite person.

119. PDO says:

I feel like I just got kicked square in the balls.

120. Chris says:

So I'm guessing Katz is getting on his jet and demon dialing Marion Hossa right now.

121. Mark-Ryan says:

Yeah, I'm done with the internet for a month.

I really hate being an Oiler fan right now.

122. Phil says:

Man, this team just keeps getting bitchslapped.

One more time, Ike… this time put some stank on it!

123. Krankor says:

LT: It's not an Oilers screw up, except from a PR perspective. It looks terrible, but it sure isn't the Oilers' fault that Heatley quashed the deal.

124. Lord Bob says:

Jason Gregor's unimpeachable source? A Daryl Katz text message.

(Also, how is it 10:22 Edmonton time and I'm the first person to chime in with this joke?)

125. Coach pb9617 says:

Why was an offer even made if the Oilers weren't on the the list? Shouldn't that have been the first thing that Tambellini looked into?

And knowing this management team, there is no plan B other than to find the next white whale.

126. R O says:

No, the trade going dead is on Heatley. Much as I like to make fun of the Oilers, the trade proceeded smoothly from start to finish until Heatley went back on it.

Now the decision to make the trade in the first place… insane.

127. Bank Shot says:

The Oilblogosphere needs to give the Edmonton MSM an apology. They are right on top of every damn move the Oilers even attempt to make.

About other teams, you only hear vague rumours of moves that almost went down. The Edmonton Press get it to you in real time. That's hard hitting journalism right there.

PS. The Oilers' org is full of stupid douches.

128. mc79hockey says:

The guy down the road seems to be able to talk to other teams without having it get reported in the media.

If I was an NHL GM, there'd be a round of firings the first time that this happened from my end of things which, as I said above, I think it pretty obviously did given that Gregor has a source.

129. DBO says:

So what happens to Cogs now? is he pissed? How do these guys feel. that's the only issue if this does not go through.

130. Bar Qu says:

Try living that one down as the new 12 year old kid in Calgary moved from Sherwood park who's only defense to the cruel kids was the awesomeness of your team compared to theirs. It still hurts to re-view that highlight.

Why do I feel like a Milwaukee Brewers fan?

132. Bruce says:

If Heatley doesn't want Edmonton, then Edmonton sure as fuck doesn't want Heatley.

Asked for a trade, and then refused it. Go fuck yourself, Dany Boy.

133. Bank Shot says:

Sure it is. They could have found out quietly whether Heatley would accept a trade to Edmonton. No tact. No brains.

134. Anonymous says:

So the question i have is "did Heatley reject" or just not respond?

kurri_17

135. DBO says:

here here Bruce.

136. Smarmy Boss says:

Now TSN needs to report that Langkow and Pardy have been traded for Heatley.

137. Anonymous says:

So Bettman puts another 24 hours on the clock:

tsn.ca:

"the NHL says as long as a Heatley trade is concluded before midnight eastern tomorrow night, the bonus payment allocation can be transferred to the new team".

138. Deven says:

TSN is reporting this deal is deal since Heatley has not waived his NTC before the midnight (EST) deadline.

There is a God!

139. Jonathan Willis says:

This really isn't the fault of the Oilers' organization – beyond what Tyler said about the names leaking.

And I suspect that Tambellini will deal with that. He doesn't seem like a big talker by nature, and I doubt he'll permit those who are to continue with the organization.

140. Lord Bob says:

On a level, it's nice to see that feeling I get as a Canadian soccer fan every time a Canadian decides to play for England or Holland or Bosnia coming to hockey.

Seriously, this is synergy, folks. Both of my sporting passions make me feel the same sort of deadened stomach-based misery for the same reason. Next up Ales Hemsky will refuse to show up for the playoffs because he has to comb his hair and the cycle will be complete.

141. mc79hockey says:

Hah! I was just saying the exact same thing to Mirtle, that that seemed like a grey area in the CBA to me!

Sometimes this law school shit seems like it paid off.

142. Maverick says:

Oh NO!!! Heatley rejected the deal!! Du'h!

143. goldenchild says:

The optics are ugly, another star that doesnt want to come here, and now 3 guys who thought they were out of town that arent. UGLY!

144. Coach pb9617 says:

1. They didn't solidify his willingness to move.
    2. The trade itself was so ill-conceived.
    3. I wouldn't be surprised if Katz himself was at the beginning of this post-office.

145. R O says:

So Bettman puts another 24 hours on the clock:

tsn.ca:

WTF. Heatley to the Oilers is a good outcome for me but that just seems so… arbitrary?

146. Lord Bob says:

According to a reliable source, this deal fell apart around 11:45 PM EST when Dustin Penner ate Heatley.

(I'm reusing jokes from my Twitter feed. I will not apologize.)

(Also, how generic is Ladislav Smid that nobody can think of a way to make fun of him? I mean, the closest we came had someone mocking Bryan Murray's lithp…)

147. DBO says:

rishaug on team 1260. Sens can still move heatly by tomorrow modnight and move the money. Bob mackenzie says that is the truth, and that he will post it on tsn.

148. Coach pb9617 says:

And Heatley will be a New York Ranger.

149. Tikanen Time says:

Did Heatley actually say NO or did he just not respond in time? There is a difference.

150. Bruce says:

Meanwhile, the clock is ticking on Denis (GlenX) Grebeshkov …

151. blackadder says:

Not looking forward to facing the Flames fans at work on Thursday… this just sucks.

But, looking forward to what Don Brennan says about Heatly now.

152. HBomb says:

So now there's another 24 hours for Ottawa to do a deal?

Damn, this just gets weirder and weirder.

Regardless if that's true, if I'm the Oilers, I move on and take care of business with a goalie, a couple of veteran centers, and getting their RFA's done. Screw it.

153. DBO says:

Heatley didn't wiave his no trade because after the "deal" was announced Smid pucnhed him in the face until the GM's seperated them

154. Lord Bob says:

That's another twenty-four hours for Phaneuf and Kipper for Heatley and Somehow Luongo, guys. This could be getting a lot worse before it gets better.

155. Deano says:

Heatley does the asshole thing and asks to be moved. Provides a list that does not include Edmonton.

Murray does the asshole thing and trades him to Edmonton.

Niiiice.

Now where does Murray go with this?

156. Phil says:

Meanwhile, the clock is ticking on Denis (GlenX) Grebeshkov …

Except, of course, that he's an RFA.

157. Coach pb9617 says:

Meanwhile, the clock is ticking on Denis (GlenX) Grebeshkov …

I wonder if they're waiting on an offer sheet for him?

1,440,292 – 2,880,587 = 2nd round pick
    2,880,587 – 4,320,880 = 1st & 3rd round pick
    4,320,880 – 5,761,173 = 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round pick

158. Bruce says:

Did Bettman also announce the league will have a mortaroirm on free agent signings ubntil this emss is resolved? If the Oilers have their hands tied on July the fucking first waiting for a deal to go down, that's horrendous.

159. Lucinius says:

On the positive side.. this really solidified TSN as the guys to watch for what is actually going on.

Still, this sucks.. and doesn't suck. I'd like Heatley, but wasn't fond of the trade conditions.. and the way this fell apart is disgusting.

If nothing else, its entertaining, I guess.

160. Lord Bob says:

It will hurt the Sens more than the Oilers, Bruce. Even without Heatley, the Oilers don't have enough money to sign the big names. And as of thirty-two minutes ago it's quite legal for Tambellini to call a free agent and say "don't sign for a day or so; we've got something up our sleeve if this Heatley thing doesn't pan out".

161. Bruce says:

moratorium

162. Deano says:

Bruce

The context in the article is that Ott can find another deal – not complete this one.

163. Bar Qu says:

Is Heatley married to Lauren Pronger too?

164. HBomb says:

Bruce: their hands are not tied.

Heatley doesn't want to be here? Well then, move onto other business, and forget Dany Heatley.

165. Chris says:

Although I supose the only person who looks more silly than the Oilers in this is Heatly if all this transpires and he's back there playing for Ottawa in October having to make nice with the coach he apparantly loathed.

166. Rick says:

Do you think the Oilers will have anything to do with Heatley (or even Murray for a while) after this?

I suspect Tambellini will commence with Plan B tomorrow.

I don't think this restricts the Oilers for free agency.

The deal is dead.

168. Schitzo says:

At this point, leave a message for Murray that says "Penner, O'Sullivan, Chorney, take it or leave it".

Do not call back again.

169. HBomb says:

Remember the line in Top Gun?

"You guys screw up even this much, and you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!"

Well, enter Dany Heatley going back to play for Cory Clouston. Hello fourth line!

Now – between the Bouwmeester signing and this mess, today's as bad as draft Friday in 2006 (Pronger trade demand official, Luongo to Vancouver, Tanguay to Calgary).

170. Bruce says:

If I was a Sens fan excited about get Cogs, Smid and Penner, I would be even more deeply pissed at Heatley than I was already.

Murray does the asshole thing and trades him to Edmonton.

Revenge for Comrie-for-Perry? If the deal does fall apart, Brian Murray will be one guy who won't feel too bad for the other guys. One of the hockey gods is, after all, named "Karma".

171. Gerta Rauss says:

…and the face palm lives.

I love it.

172. Lord Bob says:

Three things we still do not know, guys:

1) Did Heatley and the Senators know in advance that they had until midnight Eastern on July 2 to sort this out? If they did, this means nothing. I'm leaning towards "yes" since, well, everybody else in the league seemed to.
    2) Did Heatley refuse to waive his no-trade clause or simply not make a decision before the reporters had to file their copy? I am strongly leaning towards the latter: note the very careful wording of the TSN article.
    3) Were the Oilers on Heatley's list? Before today everybody was sure reporting they were! Such lists are in no way binding and it's entirely possible – probable, even – that Heatley simply chickened out at the last minute or really wanted to play with Ladi Smid or something.

That was for you, Gerta. Man I love that poster.

174. Chris says:

I just got a text message from Daryl Katz saying Penner has two Heatley's inside him anyways.

In related news the authories are negotiating for the release of two members of the Heatley family.

175. jon k says:

I can't imagine how this is the "best possible outcome" since we're going to have three players who we traded and then had to take back.

Yeah, that's going to be good for the situation in the locker room.

Terrible situation. This is the worst possible situation.

176. Deano says:

Lord Bob

One of the factors driving Heatley to ask to be moved was the pressure from the fans when he did not perform this year.

I have speculated before that if that was true, there is no way Edmonton would be on his list.

177. Jonathan Willis says:

According to Bob McKenzie, both the Oilers and Senators believed that the deadline was tonight.

178. Steve says:

Try living that down as a kid growing up in the eighties in Edmonton WITH THE NAME STEVE FUCKING SMITH.

Sorry. It still hurts a little.

179. Ender says:

According to Sportsnet, the deal is just on hold. No word as to whether or not Heatley actually received the request for the waive.

180. Lord Bob says:

Then maybe Dany Heatley is the most in-touch guy in the league? Okay, I don't believe that either.

181. eidy says:

just got out of a 3 hour surgery, got home to this and was devastated…sullen…and now joyed. It seems that a team that does not have many nhl players should start by losing 4, adding one, and staying at the same cap hit.

don't get me wrong, i am a big fan of heatley. i just don't think the cap hit is very good. i would rather pry away gagne, st.louis, or frolov. now that cogs is available, maybe we do Souray and cogs for frolov, simmons, and pick or jack johnson. i actually think that that is a better hockey deal

182. Bar Qu says:

Ok, ok Steve, you win. It made me laugh tho.

183. Jonathan Willis says:

Ender: What's Sportsnet? Is that like The Score?

184. Bruce says:

Surely to christ Heatley would have kept his cell phone on tonight of all nights. Or does he like #15 cuz that's his IQ?

185. Bruce says:

See my comment on Sportsnet somewhere on Page 1.

186. kurri_17 says:

the entertainment continues…
    let's just get Malholtra tomorrow and life will be grand

187. Lucinius says:

Ah, Ender, if only it wasn't Sportsnet…

Still, I can see that being the case. I mean, seriously, what could be more absolutely-screwed up then the situation at hand than if he hadn't actually turned it down, it merely had the clock tick over or something, and then it goes through.

It'd be hilarious.

Ain't happening, but still. It'd be funny. It'd be Oiler Hockey! Weird shit happens here.

188. HBomb says:

Heatley was seeing Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen for the 8th time and had his cellphone on silent.

That's gotta be it.

And Sportsnet = Hockeybuzz.com TV. They suck.

189. Krankor says:

If the deal is on hold, that gives us the opportunity to relive this again tomorrow! Huzzah!

190. Ender says:

Willis: Just sayin'. Seems unlikely that the league would give Ottawa another day randomly if not to continue a deal. Nobody's saying that Heatley refused to waive, just that he didn't waive by the time limit. All in all, there are a lot of unanswered questions, and given the facts at hand, it's easily as plausible that the deal is on hold as dead.

STEVE!!! Where do we send the cheques? Two shows a night, tip your waitress and try the ham!

192. Moose says:

I have to say, I write with a couple of the funniest guys I have ever met on my blog, but the jokes on here tonight are fucking killing. It's the only thing keeping me from going batshit crazy over this fiasco.

193. JK says:

What's going on?

I've heard from a few places that Heatley refused to approve a trade to Edmonton.

If this is true, then we're so beyond fucked…

JK

194. DBO says:

So, we are the 2nd best guy in the bar hitting on the hot girl (who is a bit crazy but wild in the sack) who takes your drinks, talks nice, even touches your arm, all the while eyeing the guy across the bar hoping he takes her home. if he doesn't come over, she'll go with us, but inside she's disappointed. Fuck you heatley, i'll find a fat chick who is thankful.

195. Jonathan Willis says:

Ender: I don't think the league gave them another day – I think Edmonton and Ottawa misunderstood the CBA.

196. LittleFury says:

And with that, I'm off to the bar. Be funny until I get back, boys.

197. Krankor says:

Tomorrow's headline today: "Heatley to Edmonton: Drop Dead"

198. Coach pb9617 says:

This + Brule should cost Olczyk his job.

199. Lord Bob says:

Tomorrow's headline today: "Heatley to Edmonton: Drop Dead"

Proposed Edmonton Sun headline: HEAT-LIED