SNAFU

Word tonight from multiple sources: Dany Heatley is an Edmonton Oiler. Senators get three NHL players in return: Andrew Cogliano, a very good young player; Dustin Penner, an inconsistent winger who does bring some things; Ladislav Smid, a young defender who has been developing at the NHL level. A lot of young talent heading the other way.

Steve Tambellini puts his stamp on the Oilers tonight, with a big-time sniper for the 1line. With this as the backdrop, the only way this deal makes sense to me is if the Edmonton Oilers flush ALL of the development crap and go for it. By that I mean stop with the JDD experiment, keep Peckham on the farm, sign Kotalik and Dvorak and Betts and Fiddler. Enough with the development of the kids.

Craig MacTavish must be kicking a few things tonight.

573 Responses to "SNAFU"

« Older Comments

Tomorrow's headline: Man, we've got a lot of angry guys!

2. Bar Qu says:

1200 Angry Men

3. Jonathan Willis says:

Meanwhile, somewhere, Mike Comrie pours himself a beer and laughs. And laughs.

4. Deano says:

Shades of Nylander – I wonder who gets to do the presser.

"Never in all my years…'

5. Krankor says:

Unrelated story: Burger Baron Franchises in Edmonton Breath Sigh of Relief

6. Lord Bob says:

@JW: And gets traded to nineteen different teams for late draft picks.

7. Anonymous says:

Penguins, Predators, Coyotes
    Pronger, Nylander, Heatley

Tie game. Hamilton 3 Edmonton 3

4th period tomorrow.

8. Ender says:

Willis: Either way, people around here tend to obsess over facts and stats, but have been jumping at shadows all night. I can't find confirmation anywhere of Heatley actually refusing to waive his rights, only confirmation that he didn't do it before the deadline.

Sure, it'd be unlikely that Heatley had his phone shut off, but not unreasonable that his battery died. Given that there was some confirmation that Edmonton was on his list, coupled with the complete and utter lack of confirmation (as far as I can find, anyway), there's a good chance you're still jumping at shadows.

Just sayin'. It's also entirely possible that the deal is officially dead.

9. DBO says:

So, we are the 2nd best guy in the bar hitting on the hot girl (who is a bit crazy but wild in the sack) who takes your drinks, talks nice, even touches your arm, all the while eyeing the guy across the bar hoping he takes her home. if he doesn't come over, she'll go with us, but inside she's disappointed. Fuck you heatley, i'll find a fat chick who is thankful.

10. R O says:

L O L

11. Krankor says:

Sorry, DBO. I don't think Penner is going to be thankful after tonight's shenanigans.

12. Lord Bob says:

Fat chick? We just pissed off the fat chick by trying to dump his salary on Ottawa!

13. Jonathan Willis says:

Ender: RDS has said that he refused to waive his NTC – not that he hasn't waived it, but that he actually refused.

I'm not sure I 100% trust RDS, but this doesn't look good. Particularly since Bob McKenzie waited and waited before making a definitive statement – he does not go out on limbs.

14. Anonymous says:

And that would be Penner!

15. Chris says:

Well I guess one thing we can say about the Daryl Katz era Oilers – this team swings for the fences. If nothing else it makes our summers interesting when no hockey is even being played.

16. Anonymous says:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!

17. robert cleave says:

Goddamn it, he's not fat, he's big boned.

And he has a great personality…

18. Bar Qu says:

Brilliant

19. DBO says:

So if these 3 guys are "pissed", then do you deal them? how do you keep them happy?

Cogliano for Dubinsky (about the 50th time I've posted this)
    Souray for Clowe and Murray
    Smid for Harding
    Sign Anderson

20. Chris says:

On the other hand if we got through the bar analogy that some guys are digging, the fact we keep repeating this scenario – one of these days we will find that hot girl when she'd drunk and vulnerable and totally pull this off.

21. Deano says:

If Edm was on his list and he refused, who will touch him now?

Myurray has 4 million reasons not to be screwing around.

Sucks to be Heatley the most methinks. He is in no man's land.

22. rider guy says:

Is this the point where Lowe gets wheeled out in front of the media, chuckles softly and reminds us that "my favorite line is always expect the unexpected."

23. Ender says:

@Willis: Wait, so let me get this right… You think it's reasonable to assert that Heatley isn't coming here without having any factual evidence or corroboration, but you don't think it's reasonable for people to judge players on "seen him good"?

Like I said, I'm not willing to commit to the Heatley thing either way – the timing makes it hard to get any real answers. That said, you don't see this as a contradiction to everything you, LT, Tyler, Vic, et al tout daily?

That takes balls man ;)

24. Chris says:

I think they're relying on Garrioch, RDS and McKenzie saying "Heatly kills deal"

25. DBO says:

Now Mackenzie saying heatley rejects it, "for Now". What the fuck. I don't want to be second choice.

26. Moose says:

Latest Dreger tweet:

"Sorry, account was frozen. NHL says Heatley's 4 mil doesnt have to be paid until midnight tonight. Evidently he doesnt want to be an Oiler."

27. Ender says:

"It's true that Dany Heatley did not waive his no-movement clause when requested by the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday night, but that isn't to say it's not still possible for him to waive it on Wednesday. He has, technically speaking, not issued an outright refusal to move."

Case in point.

28. Jonathan Willis says:

From McKenzie: Ottawa had agreed to a deal with the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday night that would have sent Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid to the Senators in exchange for Heatley. Heatley was asked to waive his no-movement clause by the Senators but he didn't oblige. Which is not the same thing as an outright or unequivocal rejection.

29. Lucinius says:

Well, Ender.. if it means anything, the by-line for the TSN story online is "McKenzie: Heatley rejects deal to Oilers". Sure, minor and all that, but as others have said.. way he waited to actually say it was over, and didn't bite on the "its done! its done!" bandwagon several other outlets hit upon… it probably is just that; he didn't want to come here, for whatever reason.

Either way, the team has to move on and deal with other stuff now. This seems dead, for the Oilers at least.

30. Ender says:

or possibly: "No one should suggest Heatley is prepared to waive his no-movement clause to go to Edmonton any more than it should be suggested he absolutely won't."

31. pboy says:

I think regardless of why this has happened, the Oilers should pull their offer off of the table and move on. Let Ottawa and Heatley deal with this and get on with plan B. Can't be easy for Cogs, Penner and Smid to know that the organization was tried to move them, they are professionals and they will have to act as such. Both Penner and Smid have played for more than one team, so they should understand this is just business.

32. Deano says:

Fuk 'im

UFA time.

33. Lord Bob says:

We're officially in a zombie movie, guys. Bob McKenzie just grabbed a shotgun, gave this trade both barrels right in the chest, and then the trade got back up and buried a hatchet in Jean-Francois Jacques's ACL.

34. dubya says:

Heatley's agent says he's going to sleep on it.

The really awesome thing about this is that now I'm going to be super-pissed-off either way.

35. Lord Bob says:

Lucinius: There is nobody in the world less intelligent than your average headline writer, except maybe Jay Bouwmeester's agent.

36. HBomb says:

pboy: Seconded. The Oilers need to consider this 100% dead and go about their business tomorrow.

Fawning over Hossa last year cost them a useful player in Curtis Glencross. Learn from your past mistakes.

37. Moose says:

The lastest McKenzie article is an absolute mess…basically it sounds like he's waiting for another option before deciding to waive it or not.

38. goldenchild says:

I agree with PBOY, the right move is to pull the offer and move on.

39. hunter1909 says:

Oh, so Heatley turns the Oilers down.

yipes.

40. Lord Bob says:

Well, the difference between last year and this year is that this year the Oilers can't afford anybody. Who is our 2008-09 Glencross?

41. Bar Qu says:

I'm with you guys, move on. To quote Willis 'Gaborik?'

42. Deano says:

'Coulda been worse…. I coulda stayed married to her.

43. slipper says:

Ender, are you still popping by hereevery three months to confirm how worthless philosophy degrees are?

44. DBO says:

sleep on a dick heatley. Sorry, really mad at him now. Sleep on it means "hoping for a deal from a better city". Pull the deal, or counter with a worse deal and tell Ottawa to call you if they want it. Someone posted one earlier but mine would be:
    penner, Staios and Chorney. eat it (not you Penner, you just take a time out from the buffet table)

45. HBomb says:

Cripes, this is one massive train-wreck.

Beer me. Again.

46. PDO says:

I've gone from ecstatic, to livid, to downright baffled.

… is Dany Heatley a 16 year old girl trying to figure out who to take to the Friday night dance?

47. Lord Bob says:

Unless Steve Tambellini is already hiding the remains of Staios and Moreau in his garden, Gaborik isn't a possibility and never was.

The guys who the Oilers should go after this year are the guys they should have gone after even if they got Heatley – Sjostrom and Tollefsen in particular. Affordable role players and proven NHLers. Trade or no trade, that won't change.

48. Ender says:

@slipper: Seriously, personal attacks over "don't count your chickens before they hatch"? Really? Wow.

49. Lucinius says:

Okay, true enough, Lord Bob. But does that put it on par with or above the main content of the other outlets?

Most people I know are almost as angry at the media outlets like Sportsnet and such as they are the parties involved in the actual trade. They sold the deal to people and it was, apparently, not that close to being done.

I should get some sleep, but I'm hoping something will crop out of all this to make sense to me.

50. Steve says:

Well, *I'm* certainly listening to Paradise by the Dashboard Light on repeat right now. Anyone else?

("Let me sleep on it…")

51. Greg MC says:

Change through collective bargaining. "If a player with a no movement/no trade contract requests a trade, said player's request voids the clause and the player can be moved to any member team."

52. DBO says:

I want Goc, Eminger and Stewart. Young former first rounders with some experience, size and skill sets we need. Will cost us not much.

53. Chris says:

Do we really want our star player to be this much of a prima dona anyway? I hate Ottawa get me out of here! I don't want to go to Edmonton! No wait..I don't want to stay in Ottawa..let me think about it!

54. goldenchild says:

DBO says " sleep on a dick heatley"

hahahaha

55. Lord Bob says:

Goc would be a great get. I'd rather have Tollefsen than Eminger mostly because I think Tollefsen fills a niche the Oilers need more and Eminger will end up getting more money, but I wouldn't say no. Stewart is the Jean-Francois Jacques of the first round and we already have one of those.

56. Chris says:

Maybe he needed to talk to his hetero-sexual life partner Jason Spezza about the deal.

57. hunter1909 says:

Dani Cheatley

58. slipper says:

Vic, Tyler, LT, "et al" espouse that outscoring and out shooting is the most valuable indicator of a hockey player's worth.

J-Dub reads the hockey websites and taking from "Dany Heatley doesn't waive his no trade clause" infers that the proposed deal between Edmonton and Ottawa is squashed.

Ergo shmergo:

YOU ARE WRONG!

59. R O says:

Kyle Brodziak?

60. Anonymous says:

Slipper! Good to see you, we've missed you!

61. Doogie2K says:

Is Bob McKenzie's journalistic training useless, too? Because I'm pretty sure he's saying the same fucking thing.

62. Lord Bob says:

Don't talk to me about Brodziak, R O. Furniture will be put through drywall.

63. Ribs says:

…A Sense of Wonder

64. Anonymous says:

Ender,

I say it's a pocket veto.

He knows the Oilers won't hold this open past the start of free agency, so the Oilers can do what he won't which is to kill this.

65. Doogie2K says:

=====

That final decision has not been made because Heatley's agent, J.P. Barry, believed the actual deadline was at 11:59 p.m. eastern on Wednesday night, not 11:59 p.m. eastern on Tuesday night.

Top is Ender; bottom is McKenzie. Just so we're clear.

The Sportsnet piece tells us the Oilers cap people should be working at a bottle depot.

He's sleeping on it. I hope he rejects it, but if there's one thing that makes the Oilers look bad tonight it's that they don't know the rules.

Tough to win a game you don't know how to play.

67. Lord Bob says:

Even Dan Snyder died more quickly than this trade is.

68. docweb says:

What a disaster of a day.

Embarrassing, humiliating, stunning in its irony.

I don't think I can face my Flames friends tomorrow. The only thing worse would be a trade announced tomorrow for a bag of pucks and a ton of salary to Ottawa for one D. Heatley.

Followed by an announcement for the 2010 Stanley Cup Parade route in Cowtown.

Tough,tough day.

69. Chris says:

I maintain my position that various commenters around the Oilosphere are vastly over rating Kyle Brodziak. For the love of god, 4th line centre in the NHL is not a difficult position to replace. That's like saying "Oh my god my football team traded a special teams player who was a third string linebacker, however shall we replace him?" Perspective people.

70. Ender says:

slipper, I really don't want to get into a pissing contest here. There's a difference between fact and conjecture, as you, Vic, et al have been quick to point out to me in the past. In fact Willis is generally quite reasonable, and I thought his assertion was odd and out of character. That was all.

However, if you want to get into who's right and who's wrong – I wasn't arguing either of those things. I was actually saying that nobody can confirm rightness or wrongness at this time.

Which, is what a philosphy degree is good at teaching people to understand. Maybe that's useless to you, and if it is, cool. Have at 'er. I don't see why that involves personal attacks.

71. Dean says:

LT – the technicality is that the bonus is payable on July 1. 12:00 AM or 11:59 PM?

Both are July 1

72. goldenchild says:

Im only here now for the off color jokes. Lord bob takes the lead into the clubhouse.

73. R O says:

I have no love or hate or attachment to the guy, or to any Oiler in fact. All I know is that he seems to be a useful NHL player with a value contract, and you don't trade a useful NHL player with a value contract for a 10% chance at a useful NHL player (or whatever it is that a 4th round pick is equivalent to). Even if said player is only fit for the fourth line.

74. Traktor says:

What a fucking disaster.

Management needs to announce that the deal is off the table.

75. slipper says:

ALthough, while you're here, I could use some help.

See, I don't normally believe in God. Yet sometimes I do attribute bad things happening to a power greater than myself.

For instance, I sometimes have an overwhelming feeling that there is a force in this universe that hates me and speaks it's evil through my hockey team.

Through September 2007 until April 2009 it exhists as just a minor bleating in the back of my minds. Like an ache you would treat with an aspirin.

Then there are weeks like this one past and, if I remember correctly, the time leading from game seven of '06 up until draft day of that year; where the minor ache morphs into more like a sledge hammer paring away at my spine.

Do you know what this stems from?

I hear Ty Conklin suffers from the exact same thing.

76. Chris says:

Apparantly this trade is like Dracula even if you stab it in the heart with a wooden stake you should really chop off its head just to make sure it doesn't rise from the dead.

That would be my preferred method of ensuring Gary Bettman was no longer comissioner of the NHL as well.

77. DBO says:

we're not the only rejected lover tonight. Sportsnet saying Hossa turned down a 10 year deal from Detroit for less then $4 mill per year.

78. slipper says:

The Trademarked "Doogie to Ender's Rescue!"

Now we'z rock'n it with some ole skool shit;)

This is like waiting for Phyllis Diller to reject you in the morning.

80. Doogie2K says:

The Trademarked "Doogie to Ender's Rescue!"

I'm apparently the only person around here who doesn't think he's a complete twat, so maybe I'm wasting my virtual breath. I just don't get why everyone gets so fucking schoolyard the instant he shows up.

81. Ender says:

Terribly sorry Mr. Slipper sir. I promise to never post again. Hockey gods forbid I ever soil this place with my presence again.

:rollseyes:

82. goldenchild says:

I'm 8 ounces of Glen Livett in. It doesnt feel as bad anymore.

83. Lucinius says:

I'm not sure about that. I want to say "screw off, Heatley!", but I'm tired and he'd had a big impact on the team. I'll need to sleep on it to be sure, because what if he signs elsewhere and we manage to luck out with another signing, or at least get very, very drunk.

Sure, the guy should be able to mull it over, but this isn't breaking news that Edmonton was interested, its been going on for quite the while now.

Whomever screwed the pooch should shake their heads. Maybe Heatley didn't want to come to Edmonton, and told Murray that, but Murray kept it going as the only trade as a "here or there, pick one". Or maybe he's a prissy teenage twit.

We'll probably never know, but if the Pronger saga taught us anything.. we'll think of something to blame it on and ignore anything that says otherwise.

Okay, the pissing contest ends. Everything after this last post that involves "someone is wrong on the internet" bullshit gets pulled.

85. Deano says:

Why would Barry think that he had until after free-agency started to decide? – that seems to be an untenable position.

Probably legal, but we were screwed. Our offer is exposed and the rest of the league can bid now.

Nylander v2.0

86. Anonymous says:

Sleep on it? But will we he respect us in the morning?

87. Chris says:

Ah screw it lets just go balls out and sign both the Sedins. 13 million for the pair and then find a way to make it work. Think of it in a few years we'd be more Swedish than Ikea.

88. Krankor says:

Has anyone made a Copper & Blue Balls joke here tonight? If not, I call dibs.

89. HBomb says:

Deano: I think you're dead on.

The fix is in on this one – the Oilers are pawns in this one. Someone else is landing Heatley before midnight EST tomorrow.

90. Jonathan Willis says:

Amazing, Lord Bob. I think I actually teared up I was laughing so hard.

91. slipper says:

Well maybe we can still sign both Sedins for just three million a season more than one Heatley.

Then we can coin the phrase "The Edmonton Rejection: When someone actually does you a favour by spurning your advances"

92. Doogie2K says:

For the record, Anon above there ain't me.

93. Lord Bob says:

Sorry, LT. I suddenly remembered why I stopped coming here.

Don't worry, as soon as Tambs stops doing insane things I'll go away again.

Wait, what am I saying? If that's my condition, you guys are stuck with me.

94. JK says:

We've all heard of a win-win scenario, right?

Well, what the Oilers are now facing is a lose-lose scenario. Either the Oilers and the Senators do not understand the CBA and therefore by definition are incompetent, or a superstar in this sport does not consider either team or either city to be an organization or a destination where he wants to play.

Either way you look at it, both teams are fucked in the present situation. The whole world knew Heatley wanted out of Ottawa, but now the Oilers will likely have the added baggage of dealing with Cogliano, Penner, and Smid while continuing to be labeled as a team in a city where few NHL players want to be.

This goes beyond MacT and Pronger, perhaps as far back as Comrie and Salo, and may even have its roots in the forced jettisoning of players in the late 1980s and throughout the 1990s.

No matter how you slice it, this truly sucks.

95. docweb says:

Maybe D. Heatley being born and raised in Calgary, thought "Jesus, I hate Edmonton. I'd never play for them no matter what the fools would pay me."

Unlike some other NHL stars born in Edmonton.

96. bookie says:

Well, just got on the web and found some 400+ comments on LT's blog and my first thought was that we were debating the greatness of Robbie Schremp, but low and behold there is actual news.

This is how I see it. We are sending 3 pretty damn good prospects in Penner, Cogs, and Smid to Ottawa for a guy who needs to sleep on it before deciding to come here.

Heatley is a 40 goal scorer. With Decent coaching (and seriously MacT has not been hired for a reason) I think that both Penner and Cogs can be 25-30 goal scorers. Cogs can also kill penalties. Smid is a low cost really good D-man.

If Heatley had low cap costs (i.e. ~5 million a year) I could see it, but I can't really like this deal in the long run.

In the short run, it gains us about 1 million in cap space? Thats not enough to replace the other two players with pawn shop dummies.

I dunno…

I need to go back and read the rest of the comments now (400+ of them!).

I hope the bastard decides not to come here – maybe that will cure Katz, Lowe and Tambi from this obession with these types of players.

Lets DEVELOP our team not sacrifice them for golden idols…

97. Jonathan Willis says:

Ender:

Ender, I sort of think that you're going to extremes here. McKenzie said it was dead; I took that to mean it was dead. I should have more carefully weighed how he phrased things because I was wrong – this isn't dead yet (or it's undead; whatever).

Still, there's no need to try and beat me to death with this one. I simply made a bad inference, as I'm wont to do from time to time.

Moving to "you just renounced your whole hockey belief system" is an inference that is at least as bad, though.

And LT, I think I'm being civil here, but if you feel this post crosses your line, feel free to remove it.

98. Smarmy Boss says:

There would be no extra baggage regarding the players the Oilers attempted to trade. Trades are part of the business. These guys are grown men and will deal with it just fine.

Thankfully, not every pro-hockey player is like Dany Heatley.

99. bookie says:

Would Cogs and Smid be pissed? I mean, its not like they were being traded for a 3rd and 4th round pick.

100. Doogie2K says:

Don't worry, as soon as Tambs stops doing insane things I'll go away again.

Wait, what am I saying? If that's my condition, you guys are stuck with me.

It's not about you, LB.

101. Smarmy Boss says:

If there is any truth to the Smid trade requests he's probably more disappointed it fell through.

102. Ender says:

Willis: I'm very, very sorry if I came across that way. I honestly just thought it was an odd thing for you to dismiss out of hand given how thorough you normally are with such things. As such I tried to present why it was reasonable to think that it wasn't dead. No disrespect intended, though I can't say it's great to post the first thing I've posted in months and basically be met with laugher, trying to reinforce why what I was saying waasn't crazy and being met with personal attacks.

I didn't mean that you were throwing out everything you believed in. Just that the two things didn't make sense together.

103. slipper says:

I can't believe that on the same page with the Dan Snyder punch-line, it's my soft philosophy degree joke that's the most offensive.

That said, I love Lord Bob and think he's high-larious. He made a Doug Harvey/Unicorns joke that stands as my all-time favourite read on this blog.

104. Chris says:

We should just rename this thread Fandemonium.

105. Jonathan Willis says:

Ender: It's the silly interweb. We all engage in hyperbole from time to time (and I think Slipper's initial joke fit into that category as well) and we probably all take it too seriously.

Much to LT's chagrin ;)

106. Jonathan Willis says:

Chris: You think this is bad, you should see OilersNation.

107. mc79hockey says:

MacKenzie re-wrote that blog post twice. I don't think even he knows what's going on.

Has anyone ever talked to Heatley? Is he a bright, engaging sort? An intelligent interview?

Does he have thoughtful insights on things?

Is he "smart?"

109. JK says:

Just to make you all puke in your mouths a little more, I've been lurking in a few Calgary Flames chat rooms and following a few threads and blogs down here in Mordor. There is an awful lot of chatter (much of it concurrent with ours) about the Gay Flames entering the Heatley sweepstakes. Most of it sounds ridiculous – like Phaneuf being dealt now that Bouwmeester is in the fold, but I really hope that where there is smoke, there will not be any fire when we all awaken tomorrow morning.

JK

110. Ender says:

Much to LT's chagrin ;)

Oh, I wasn't remotely annoyed with anything at all before slipper's "joke." I use quotes because I'm not sure it was one, but hey, that's me. I'm not sold on his joke being hyperbole, given the context, and more than anything else it seemed petty and unnecessary. I'm more than willing to call truce (and really, at this point I really don't care at all, and am more or less willing to call truce regardless) with some sort of confirmation that it wasn't meant malevolently.

I'm pretty sure that looking at the context, that whether it's hyperbole or not, it's still a directed personal jab.

111. Smarmy Boss says:

Heatley has never came across as one of the brighter guys. However, then again, none of us really know the guy.

112. Chris says:

I never read the comments at Oilersnation, not that I don't enjoy reading you Willis as well as what Gregor and Brownlee have to say..but I peered into the comments once or twice and it looked as bad as Oilfans if not worse. I enjoy the comments here mostly because even when I don't agree with them that at least is usually a level of plausibility and reasoning to them as opposed to knee jerk reactions (except when anyone mentions Pronger in Dennis' presence "magic beans..Lowe must die").

113. mc79hockey says:

There was a blog post making the rounds a little while ago saying that he was dumber than a sack of hammers (other people doing his work in college) and enjoyed the odd bong hit. To which I reply: if you score 50 goals in Edmonton, I don't care if you've got Sparky Kulchinsky packing bowls and filling out your taxes for you.

114. Jon says:

WOW!!! Lose-Lose for Heatley.

Scenario 1: stay with the Sens…team say's F-you

Scenario 2: accept trade to the Oilers…team NOW say;s F you for saying no

Scenario 3: Pray to god you get traded elsewhere for a lesser package and hockey world say's f-you you selfish B**CH.

He is heading towards Pronger territory,

115. bookie says:

Come on, Heatley! Think of the mosquitos! Think of all the ugly women falling over on Whyte Avenue every Friday night! Think of the architecture!

We do have a nice river valley and we dont have weekly strikes of public servants like the Liquor Store workers!

I repeat…do we really want someone who goes public with trade demands? I am starting to respect Brian Burke and that is making me lose respect for me.

116. slipper says:

It's true that Slipper did not waive his malevolence when requested by the Ender on Tuesday night, but that isn't to say it's not still possible for him to waive it on Wednesday. He has, technically speaking, not issued an outright refusal of malevolence.

117. Ender says:

Exactly ;)

118. R O says:

JK

Are you visiting CalgaryPuck for this information? That place is a cesspool trust me.

There. That's better.

120. Chris says:

I think what we all really need to see here is a TSN interview with Brian Burke asking him if the reason Heatley won't sign with Edmonton is that Kevin Lowe is an idiot because you know Burke has an opinion on the subject.

121. bookie says:

Slipper, Ender, and whomever else.

I quickly skimmed through the comments and must of missed something because other than the less than tactful comment about the poor kid killed in the car accident, I didnt see anything that was really a problem. I caught some of the back and forth, but missed the actual comment that must have started all of this.

Perhaps you could cut and paste the whole thing into a neat little post. That way those of us who like an evening soap opera can catch up on things wihtout doing all of the work required.

122. Chris says:

I believe bookie the offending comment was regarding holding a philosophy degree. Interestingly I once took a class with the dean of the philosophy department of the U of M where he related that if he wasn't teaching that class he'd be telling us that "that shoe also comes in a high top".

But as any economics graduate can tell you – sociology degrees are the proper target for one's snearing condescension.

123. Steve says:

The proper target for sneering condescension is people who conflate university with job training.

(Says the law student. But I'm taking this for academic purposes, I swear.)

124. slipper says:

Bookie, are you a new poster around here, because I've never noticed you before

You've got a picture of the Kool-Aid guy with an Oilers logo on it. I think that's really neat.

Do you like Shawn Horcoff? Because I really like Shawn Horcoff.

What do you think of Dustin Penner? He a lard ass, eh…

125. Icecastles says:

I've had almost enough of this fucking team.

126. Chris says:

This is true Steve, wait till your an articling student and realize you've paid $30,000 for law school and it taught you absolutely nothing about what you actually have to do on a day to day basis. But hey you get to read some nifty Lord Denning decisions so it all works out.

127. bookie says:

Absolutely, at least Philosophers know that they are pretty much useless and full of it. Sociologist actually think that what they do matters!

128. Icecastles says:

Chris said…

Who cares if you swing for the fence when you consistently strike out. :(

129. Doogie2K says:

Me, I blame years of watching hockey for training me to leap instinctively into every scrum involving a friend.

130. PDO says:

Daren Millard dropping bombshells…

- heatley didn't kill it. the oilers are on the list and he confirmed it with his agent.
    - still has to approve it etc
    - rangers have entered the fray. package is getting better. callahan, dubinsky and del zotto and are improving it. still want mark staal.
    - he believes ottawa was not aware the deadline was midnight tonight
    - they were pissed that they weren't gonna be able to deal heatley by tonight. if they have to pay the bonus he will be in ottawa
    - he is not against playing for the oilers. rangers are top priority
    - oilers are still fully in this thing and they will improve the package to keep with the rangers.
    - sens are still talking with both teams and will squeeze both teams
    - penner and cogliano have been informed they were traded
    - believes this is the rangers deal to lose. believes the sens want staal or nothing
    - stating again heatley did NOT kill the deal.
    - deal is still on the table. its tambellini vs glen sather tomorrow
    - oilers still want to be involved in this deal
    - rangers are his first choice
    - believes that dany heatley hasn't said anything and its his representation yet

Sounds like the Sens camp probably leaked it to get the Rangers to boost their offer. Millard says Heatley likely hasn't even been asked to make a decision yet.

If the Sens actually leaked this deal with that intent, there should be serious repercussions.

That's dirty pool. You don't do that. Period.

131. slipper says:

I've had almost enough of this fucking team.

I've been saying this every Canada Day for 10 fucking years.

132. Lord Bob says:

Here's hoping Ottawa's idea of improving the trade goes something like this: "Okay, how about you guys throw in Ethan Moreau? We need veteran leadership and our penalty box guy is getting bored!"

Also, you remember that time Dave Semenko had an exhibition boxing match with Muhammad Ali? That's what I picture Steve Tambellini vs. Glen Sather as.

133. Gerta Rauss says:

This is a fawking mess…and if Millard is correct,and we are still involved in this,the only thing that makes this any worse is to offer MORE than Penner,Smid,and Cogliano.

134. Smarmy Boss says:

Wow if Millard is right then it seems like the Senators played Tambo like a fiddle.

I guess Murray has nothing to lose since he'll be out of a job next year.

135. PDO says:

Honest question:

If Ottawa leaked the deal and never asked Heatley to waive the clause, can they be hit with a tampering fine?

Are draft picks part of a tampering fine?

Because IF Ottawa did that, there has to be serious repercussions. And there certainly should be some sort of compensation for Edmonton, from Ottawa.

I'm thinking back to the Stevens/Blues/New Jersey thing?

136. Chris says:

Offer more than the Oilers have on the table right now? No thanks. I like Heatley as a player but this deal was already a bit rich for my blood.

"I TOLD YOU SO!"

Heatley and the Senators deadline may be tomorrow, but the Oilers deadline had to be last night. Free agency starts tomorrow at noon. They have to be on to plan B.

The Oilers still can't want this guy, can they? How can you still pursue a guy who f^$#^d you over like Heatley jsut did?

Heatley is a spoiled narcissistic frat boy. He is a loser, Character, the f$#@, matters.

The Oilers have to regain there dignity and tell the Senators and Heatley that they have moved on.

Katz and Tambellini and the Oilers are now a laughingstock.

There is no point in winning without honour.

Anyone who doesn't believe that Heatley is a tarnished chalice is a fool.

138. bookie says:

Bookie, are you a new poster around here, because I've never noticed you before

Do you like Shawn Horcoff? Because I really like Shawn Horcoff.

What do you think of Dustin Penner? He a lard ass, eh…

Been here for about for about a season now.

I think Horcoff is swell, I also think Penner is swell.

I am glad you like my picture, it is very pretty. I made it myself with crayons after someone made a comment about drinking the Oilers Kool-aid.

I like your picture too, its very funny. Where did you find that guy and how did you get him to make that face?

139. bookie says:

Ender – thats for posting that…I didn't actually expect anyone to do that.

140. Anonymous says:

The Oiler's offer had to have an end time, but if it isn't expired the Sens are also tied up until Heatley yays or nays.

Either way the answer if Ottawa comes back and asks for more the answer has to be no.

141. Ender says:

@bookie: If you didn't guess, I'm super-bored right now. That said, I know I'm generally in favour of "all in one place" than "find it on the internet – that's what google's for" so I figured I'd chip in.

142. Gerta Rauss says:

This is the only course of action.

143. Bruce says:

You know it's a big news day when both Ender and Slipper turn up for the first time in too long. I for one welcome both of their returns. Ender is definitely not a twat, while Slipper is lots of fun once you learn to take him with an ounce of KY jelly. :)

Glad to see you fellows make nice after a few testy moments.

That said, I agree with whoever it was who said he will be super-pissed-off no matter which way this fiasco turns out. The only worse outcome, raised subsequently, involves the Oilers sweetening the pot. If that happens I'll be puking in mine.

144. bookie says:

Agreed – otherwise we will find ourselves halfway through this season with Heatley demanding a trade because Quinn made him skate an optional practice or something of the sort.

Not sure how the Oilers always get tied up in these things, but man…

145. Bruce says:

Does he have thoughtful insights on things?
    Is he "smart?
    "

Can he spell Danny?

146. Anonymous says:

This is a two time 50 goal scorer in the NHL. When's the last time this city had one of those? I think this is good for the team, exciting for the city, and good for business. The best outcome is that Dany Heatley ratifies the deal in the AM.

147. PDO says:

I agree the best case scenario is that this is resolved before 10 AM tomorrow, with Heatley coming here for that package.

If he's a Ranger tomorrow, and Staal is involved, I sincerely hope to see the Oilers file tampering charges.

148. slipper says:

Oh, that guy?

That's the wanna be fire fighter my mom moved into the basement while I was out on tour last summer with my band, Professor H and the Ivy's.

The dumb prick set the back porch ablaze when he stashed a joint in a flower pot full of peat moss. Fortunately I had enough urine stashed away in 2L pop bottles beside the old computer that I was able to douse the flames before they engulfed the house I grew up in.

You know what? My mom didn't even raise his rent. I guess that's what being astonishingly handsome gains you in life.

149. bookie says:

I just heard that the Oilers have traded away both their Zamboni's for tickets to one of the 50 Michael Jackson shows starting in London next month.

Also, Joey Moss and Sparky Anderson have gone public with their demands for a trade…

150. Gerta Rauss says:

That scraping sound you just heard was this thread bottoming out.

Off to bed.

151. shepso says:

Hey now, why are you suddenly hating on sociologists of all people? We're simply hard drinking pretentious douchebags that write random blog posts relating the draft to Debord and Penner's treatment from MacT to Foucault's panopticon. Do we think we make a difference? God no; we just simply try to ammuse ourselves while the team self destructs before our eyes. Either way, losing Cogs is bad, gaining Heatley is dreadful and the Oil is one step closer to being the Nordiques and Islanders. Dark times, friends, dark times.

152. hunter1909 says:

You have to hand it to the team that traded away the world's fastest ever defenceman in his prime.

Then traded away the world's greatest player in his prime.

Then, not satisfied, traded away the hockey world's greatest ever captain, still in his prime.

Ever since then, is it really so shocking this team is hockey Chernobyl?

153. Bruce says:

Cogliano for Dubinsky (about the 50th time I've posted this)
    Souray for Clowe and Murray
    Smid for Harding

How did Souray get in there? Why is he one of the pissed guys? Did he get eaten by Penner? (We just need somebody to eat their contracts.)

What has this guy pissed is how Mike Comrie and Chris F. Pronger and Michael Nylander and Marian Hossa and (possibly) Dany Heatley turn up their noses at Edmonton and everybody gets a hate-on for them, but the guy who followed his heart and actually signed here doesn't get much love. At least not judging by the hundreds of times he's been virtually shipped out of town.

Sorry, but tonight that sticks in my craw.

154. Abu says:

Good point, Bruce, on Souray. I am not sure that it is an apocalypse that Heatley does not want to play in Edmonton, but Souray deserves credit on a night like tonight.

155. bookie says:

I'm with you there Bruce!

I am off to bed to dream of better things…like migraines and foot fungus.

I hope Heatley is worth it if he ends up here…maybe he and Hemsky will develop into some kind of Symbiotic scoring machine?

156. Bruce says:

Chris: Brilliant. I tried to read this aloud to my wife and couldn't blurt it out I was laughing so hard.

But you are the second person on this convoluted thread who has maintained his perspective on the real problem. Let's go for the hat trick.

I blame Bettman for this mess. Seriously. The dumb fuck stopped hockey not once but twice to ultimately produce an abortion of a CBA that among many other flaws allows stupid shit like this go down. This isn't just a black eye for the Oilers — or should I say, Edmonton — the entire NHL looks like a bush league. Again.

157. kris says:

This thread has descended into madness.

Slipper's shot at philosophy hurt me. Heatley's rebuke even more.

Actually philosophy can teach us a lot here. One of the fundamental laws of logic is the principle of noncontradiction: a proposition can't be both true and false at the same time.

But there are claims like 'Heatley turned us down' that seem to violate the principle of non-contradiction. You see, it's true that he did turn us down, since he waited till past the deadline, but it's also false that he turned us down, since he didn't actually say 'I hereby turn you down.'

So in addition to pissing off Oiler fans, Heatley has shown that the most fundamental law of logic, without which nothing can be proven or argued is actually false.

The only way to defeat this Heatley-Oiler's-Suck-paradox is to deny that you're bivalent about the truth of some propositions, which creates the need for multi-valued or paraconsitent logic. Crap.

Congratulations Heatley and Tambellini for killing philosophy. Slipper will be pleased.

158. Abu says:

Again I think you are right, Bruce. I really don't think this looks that bad for Edmonton, unless an Oiler employee leaked the names Edmonton was sending out. Other than that, they played their hand, tried to make a big move, and it sounds like were either blocked by a confused player or a scheming gm. In either case, I think the Oil drop looks alright.

What I would love to see is something that you see occasionally in other leagues, especially the NFL. Instead of immediately trying to trade him, I would have enjoyed Murray telling Heatley "no" when the trade request first surfaced. Not that it is a direct comparison, but the Arizona Cardinals' handling of the Anquan Boldin trade request is a good example. He made his request, they said they would try, they asked for an astronomical amount which would make the trade worth their while, and when it did not materialize, they told him to honour his contract. Eventually, he is going to get out of there, but at this point it appears it will be on Arizona's terms.

While I really don't think athletes should be treated like chattel, I also think the NHL at large could use some guts, and maybe the odd gm could stand up to one of these demands.

159. kris says:

Oh wait, I figured it out. There's only one explanation: there must e a Mrs. Heatley.

160. Bruce says:

Slipper: Pure. Unadulterated. Gold.

I would have pissed myself reading it except I had an empty 2L bottle handy, so now it's pure gold too.

161. DanMan says:

PunjabiOil said…
    Heatley's agent saying he hasn't waived it yet.

Where do the media get their sources?

9:09 PM, June 30, 2009

Hahahahahahahaha!

mc79hockey you must feel like a million dollars

162. hunter1909 says:

Heatley decides to come, and he's greeted by a chorus of boos on opening night lmao.

163. hunter1909 says:

On a brighter note, I narrowly avoided getting mugged tonight before learning about the Heatley situation.

Life in the big city.

The experience has got me feeling deranged, no more so than many of the bloggers in here who's comments are absolutely fucking incredible.

164. raventalon40 says:

QUOTE: We need Malhotra AND Betts to replace Cogs and Brodz?

@deano

No, but we could use them to fill the holes on the third line that neither Cogs or Brodziak actually filled last season (at least not competently).

You know… the holes vacated by Stoll and Reasoner the season before?

165. DanMan says:

Now I wonder if Heatley (or his camp) orchestrated this maneuver to kind of test the waters and see how management, the MSM, and oilogisphere would react.

Am i just paranoid or am i just stoned?

166. RiversQ says:

Bruce said…
    …but the guy who followed his heart and actually signed here doesn't get much love.

Souray did have $27MM reasons to sign with Edmonton and it's likely that the Oilers put in the best bid.

That's not to diminish his commitment to Edmonton, but rather to point out that he didn't just "follow his heart".

Off the top of my head, I'd say the Oilers org. is pretty much batting .500 for UFAs when they have the best offer on the table. Sure lots of teams do better than that, but that's really not that bad.

167. Steve says:

I'm dealing with the pre-emptively by forgetting everything I learn immediately after the exam.

168. chartleys says:

@ kevin:

I could not have said that better. Like the move in a cap free world but talk about tying your hands. We more or less all agree that championship calibre teams are generally nhl'ers from top to bottom. This deal moves us further from that possibility.

Although cogs is debatable as far as potential goes, it is beyond debate that pretty much every trade deal started and ended with the words "team X wants cogs in the deal". If smid was replaced by staios (even with a chorney on top) I'm a lot happier. Murray got two value contracts and what a $650,000 overy pay.

We're a bit handcuffed. I'm not really on board with the well look at calgary boat cause we're both in the same place:

Over the barrel with our pants down.

If I'm Snow (ie a gm with a large pocketed owner with a team that's best years are ahead) I take on a couple of these overpays that run out in two years along with buckets full of prospects/picks and start looking at 2011-2012+ with a smile on my face.

169. chartleys says:

That all being said if this is a part of a series of moves that either buries our trades our overpayed 6th dman and our 4th line captain and sadly takes the sell high option on our should be captain if he's still here next year and replaces that with a mid 2 mil 4th defenceman plus a 1a/1b bargain bin goalie tandem and a defensively solid 3C we are beginning to get somewhere.

That is a lot to ask for though…

170. chartleys says:

Never mind…Heatley fixed it. Want nothing to do with this guy it has eventual dressing room poison written all over him.

171. chartleys says:

Sorry I'm a bit slow as it was grab an 18 pack and head for the house party after the bar close type evening last night.

« Older Comments