Tambellini Media Event

Steve Tambellini held a “Friday before the long weekend” press conference to talk about the soap opera that has become the Dany Heatley trade.

Tambellini said Ottawa has been informed that the Oilers are no longer involved in any trade participation for Heatley. He stated their #1 priority was goaltending and their #1 name was Nikolai Khabibulin. They are moving on.

Jim Matheson asked the “Heatley holding you hostage” question, and Tambellini said (apparently they were using the Pizza Hut order center phones) it was never a problem with regard to the player. He did say that they told Ottawa after last weekend about the opt out.

Bob Stauffer spent time asking and then answering a question that felt like “what the hell do people want from us?” and Tambellini said “our job is trying to find a way to make this club better. We said we were going to take an aggresive approach and we did.”

Tambellini responded to a Dan Tencer question about the names of the Oilers players getting released by saying he was very displeased. Terry Jones asked a question about timelines and when players were informed about the deal. The GM said they’re negotiating with Ladislav Smid about contracts. Terry Jones apparently asked a followup that may or may not have involved timelines again.

“Dany and his people were not ready to make a decision.”

• Terry Jones: “Is the door (on the Heatley deal) closed, closed, closed?”
  • Tambellini: “There’s nothing on the table.”
  • Terry Jones: “Do you anticipate a big deal before training camp?”
  • Tambellini: “There’s potential, but it seems like teams are waiting now. I don’t know that anything will happen prior to training camp, Terry.”

He went on to talk about the sheer number of contracts and the fact that they needed to make a trade (contracts out, contracts in) as opposed to signing a free agent.

To sum up:

• The Oilers are out of the Heatley chase.
  • Nothing else is out there at this time.
  • This may be the roster we see at training camp.
  • Blair Betts is out there (and probably others) but they need to move players in order to make room.

Bottom line:

• Should the Oilers find room for a veteran center without moving out a major part I think they are going to be in the chase for 8th. It might not be what people want, but the last thing this team should be doing is dealing off youth.

148 Responses to "Tambellini Media Event"

1. hunter1909 says:

Very funny, this team.

For all the wrong reasons, but still.

This was a very good day for the Edmonton Oilers.

I like the status quo.

Tambelling can get out of cap hell by letting Quinn and Renney evaluate what we got before digging a deeper hole. Particularly Cogliano.

Tambellini gains a lot of flexibility next summer if he doesn't add contracts this year. Souray's no trade comes off. Moreau and Staios and Nilsson become cheap to buyout.

I think we can bet Betts to come to camp on a tryout basis.

4. B.C.B. says:

Good day, my ass. Well those that don't want to trade 'youth' for 'proven talent in their prime' should be happy. But everyone should be concerned with Tambo's lack of desire to pick up an established veteran, defensively-responsible center. I am ok with forgoing the big game hunting, but I am hungry for more veteran forwards that Quinn will actually play.

6. Steve says:

This is a good day in that it shut the door on the Heatley debacle. There are still at least two major problems with this team:

2. Goaltending's a question mark. While Khabibulin will probably be okay (though that's not guaranteed, given his erratic record), JDD's probably going to play a lot of games, and his major qualification to be an NHL goalie seems to be that he was drafted quite a while ago.

I'm glad we're not getting Heatley. I'm fine with Dustin Penner and Patrick O'Sullivan as our top two left-wingers. But I'm not fine with Marc Pouliot as our second tough minute centre, and I'm not fine with JDD as a 25 game per year goalie. Insofar as the team has pronounced itself satisfied with its goaltending and hasn't said a thing about getting another centre, I think this is on balance a bad day.

7. B.C.B. says:

LT: good point! Now I will silently wander off to the corner and assume Tambo was lying to us.

Steve: I think the goaltending (JDD) question is a very good one and agree completely it's a huge concern. Quinn will ride Khabby as much as MacT did Roloson imo.

9. PDO says:

I have no issue entering ext season with our top 6 being Horcoff, Hemsky, Penner, O'Sullivan, Gagner and Cogliano.

… if we're dumb enough to start the season with Gagner, Pouliot and Brule as our 2-3-4 C's, we're fucking stupid…

10. oilerdago says:

Adding Betts would help this team, but would you really think he'd come on a tryout?

And at what point would they consider buying out a Nilsson in order to get the 3C (who can help w/the PK)? That's a big hole that's not being addressed this summer.

Am very glad that we did not trade the kids who we've been willing to suffer the growing pains with to get a prima donna like Heatley. He was not going to fit in.

Time to finish signing Smid.

And I predict Cogliano scores 28 goals this season.

11. Steve says:

I think they're not. I would be thrilled to be proved wrong.

Well the top 4C now are:

1. Horcoff
    2. Gagner
    3. Pouliot
    4. Brule

Unless Pat Quinn knows something about Brule we don't, unless the Oilers have a secret weapon, then they're going to make a deal.

13. gonadsgo says:

"1. It has one centre with a proven record at playing tough minutes. That centre is also relied on as the team's primary scoring centre."

Has one team ever been so reliant on one player that its fan base by and large UNDERates?

The main problem with this team seems to be that Sean Horcoff can't be on the ice at all times, and unfortunately management seems to believe he can…

Maybe Gregg Sheppard.

15. PunjabiOil says:

The only good news out of this press conference is that I'll save $65/month for not having to purchase a bus pass.

Sutter showed you could get rid of poor contracts (Van Der Meer, Primeau).

Tambellini in the press conference pretty much said they're out of the free agent market because they have have to shed salary in order to bring in players. No Malhotra, no Tanguay, etc. Meanwhile, our biggest cap wasters in Staios and Moreau will continue taking penalties or otherwise being liabilities on ice.

So in summary, Tambellini's off-season consisted of:

1. Letting Kotalik go without much negotiation, which is indicative a 2nd round pick should never have been given up at the deadline.

2. Signed a 36 year old goaltender to a 4 year contract, with no team offering close to the similar term.

3. Drafted Cameron Abney, a fighter, whose isn't even good in that role, and has 4 points, all while being a HS half the season in junior hockey.

4. Traded a verstile Kyle Brodziak, who signed a 3 year, 1.1M deal – a contract with strong potential of over performance, and a clearly a type of player the Oilers needed MORE of, rather than less.

Our damn head coach appears to be clueless about the players, and has identifiable issues that raise concern (as produced by Vic Ferrari). Our best defenceman is coming off a major shoulder injury, that may undermine his health. There still won't be anyone that can play on the third line centre role. Yet, according to Tambellini, the organization has strong confidence in the team next year.

Steve Tambellini doesn't appear to be any better than Kevin Lowe.

It's quite sad, actually.

Cogliano will get a chance to take a faceoff in training camp.

17. oilersinsider says:

Here's what I don't understand. If the Oilers have too many contracts, could we not have easily said forget Reddox and some of the never going to be NHL players we signed and sign a roster player?

I'm not sure exactly how many contracts the Oilers have, but I'd love an explanation on that so I have better understanding.

18. PunjabiOil says:

Guess we'll draft Kevin Sundher next year.

19. kris says:

Well the top 4C now are:

1. Horcoff
    2. Gagner
    3. Pouliot
    4. Brule

LT, with Heatley out, I think management realizes they can't win now unless some of the young guys take a quantum leap forward. So, their strategy is to try to give a bunch of young guys big responsibility in the hopes that they'll thrive.

The idea is that unless, say, 2-3 of Gagner, Pouliot, O'Sullivan, Brule, Cogliano, and Nilson develop into either tough comp. guys or soft-destroyers, we're hooped anyway. Malhotra and Betts can't save us.

I'm not saying that this is a good idea. Far from it. But I think the evidence so far suggests that's where we're going. I certainly don't remember management ever saying, even when asked, that they're looking for help at 3C and, even more importantly, on the PK.

oilersinsider: The Reddox contract is a two-way deal so it won't have any impact on the big league roster.

Tambellini's talking about the one-way's, they need to move dollars according to the MC.

Of course, this isn't true. They can send down players during TC or buy out contracts. What he's saying is "there's nothing so far that would make me want to make a move."

21. Oilmaniac says:

(just realized i've been bitching in the wrong thread, ha!)

So I wonder what we'll will have to look forward to next off-season… another top 10 draft pick.. then more of this..? this…

Hossa Heatly Horse shi…!?

Will Quinn go against his "history" and line match with the ferocity of Randy Carlyle, by putting Horcoff and Pisani together? And let Pouliot take faceoffs for Cogliano in the defensive end of the ice?

Horcoff has his contract. It really no longer matters what his goals and assists are.

Will we see

O'Sullivan Gagner Hemsky
    Penner Horcoff Pisani
    Moreau Cogliano Nilsson
    Jacques Pouliot Stortini

Or how difficult of minutes could a line of O'Sullivan, Gagner, and Pisani handle?

23. Oilmaniac says:

Lowetide said…
    "BCB: Agreed on that point, but then again going on the radio and telling people what he was going to do didn't work well for Kevin Lowe."

I have to dissagree with this comment, which comes off as trying to defend management.. tambs was defending the choice of standing pat.. thats what has me tickled RED… (for many of the same reasons stated here.. ie- 3c)

Two years running.. and all they did was make things worse by sending out brodz (which is ok, if he's replaced/upgraded!!!)

24. oilersinsider says:

Is the Reddox contract a one-way? I swear I read and heard that it was a two-way which was the original stumbling block in the first place.

And there is lots out there that is a better option than what this roster has, especially if the rumors about the contract terms are even remotely accurate.

Could it be that he's saying "there are players out there, but they've not expressed interest in playing in Edmonton, so maybe we're going to stick with what we have until we find someone who is?"

I can see a Tanguay, Grier, Malhotra and others waiting to see what's available before saying they'd play for Edmonton.

25. PunjabiOil says:

When does Hemsky demand a trade?

26. spOILer says:

I'm with Steve on this one. I can see no reason to believe the Oilers will address 3C, and plenty that they won't…

1. Didn't last year when it was possibly an even larger problem

2. Have said they're not making any more moves

3. Have issues with the # of contracts

And if we accept MC's hypothesis that NHL GMs are, for the most part, unschooled imbeciles (and he does have a point and plenty of evidence), I'm not sure how logic and reason come into this.

Thanks to all for the updates on the presser, for those of us out of town and allegedly working (or doing our best imitation thereof). I had hoped there would be tougher questions on the goaltending choice, but… y'know.

27. PunjabiOil says:

Expect a press conference at the end of August on the project update for a new arena. There will likely be a spin that a new arena will attract more free agents.

28. spOILer says:

Oilmaniac: Hossa might still be available this summer… if the NHL nullifies his contract.

29. oilersinsider says:

Spoiler: I don't think that's how the contract works with Hossa. They won't nullify it, they'll make Chicago pay a penalty. Like $5 million plus draft picks I read.

Even if it isn't would the Oilers really want him now? He's hurt and didn't share the info, he's willing to negotiate under rules that are prohibited by the CBA… have we not seen enough shady action from the players Edmonton has been interested in?

spOILer: When did they say they weren't making any more moves? He said nothing is out there at this time and that this may be the roster at TC.

There's a difference.

31. Oilmaniac says:

haha SpOILer…

agreed w everything you said there…

even had to smile when looking upon..
    "Thanks to all for the updates on the presser, for those of us out of town and allegedly working (or doing our best imitation thereof)"

haha…

shooting for the moon.. then not.. These oil-stories even taste the same as getting nailed with the ol queen a spades… anyways.. bitterness aside… have a great weekend All… peace out…

32. Coach pb9617 says:

Not to say I told you so, but I told you so.

They are incapable of plan B.

33. DanMan says:

I'm starting to think that if there are no trades, Cogliano will start the year as the 3rd line center.

Penner-Horc-Hemsky
    Nilsson-Gagner-O'Sullivan
    Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani
    Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini
    Reddox Brule

Because of his skating, I believe Cogs can do everything a center can be expected to, except win faceoffs, of course.

DanMan: You can't have two centers bleeding like Gagner and Cogliano. FO's get a lot of attention but the fact is that Cogliano is rarely in the right spot.

And I don't blame college or Cogs or any of that. Horcoff came into the NHL about 10 miles ahead of where Cogliano is now, but we need to keep in mind that he was older too.

But two centermen with monster learning curves is too much in the top 9 imo.

35. Traktor says:

Wake me up when Shawn Horcoff's contract has expired..

36. Coach pb9617 says:

My brain, as it reads that sentence.

He has yet to do it in the NHL and needs sheltered minutes. The same as Gagner, Pouliot and Brule. If Gagner, Cogliano, Pouliot/Brule are the four centers:

1. Renney will kill Horcoff. Seriously. Shawn Horcoff will die of exhaustion on the ice.

2. The Oilers will finish 13th in the conference.

37. Coach pb9617 says:

The only good thing that comes from this is that Heatley and Kessel have to move. The Flyers need to shed salary as do the Sharks. The Rangers have to shed salary. The Kings are still strangely unbalanced.

Being embarrassed enough to finally walk away from Heatley opens a world of possibilities for the Oilers.

38. PunjabiOil says:

From the Journal's website

“I didn’t know what to think (as the deal was in limbo). You usually don’t see the names coming out (until a trade is made),” said Smid, from his home in the Czech Republic. “The Oilers wanted to get better, they wanted a big shooter and offered three young players. The whole thing was kind of strange but I want to stay with the Oilers. My life is in Edmonton. I have a house there. I like the team, I like the city. I don’t know why players don’t want to play there."

The good thing about this is that the Edmonton Oilers haven't traded their youth in a three-for-one deal. I'm all for a trade that sends one of these men away in exchange for a useful player (a pick for Kotalik in an effort to save the coach) but this team needs to make "Erik Cole for Patrick O'Sullivan" deals until further notice.

It's still building, that's the path chosen the day Kevin Lowe traded Pronger for Lupul, etc and didn't fill in with veteran UFA's on the blue.

40. PunjabiOil says:

I can't bring myself to cheer for Canada at the 2010 Olympics.

Phaneuf. Jay Boumeester. Iginla. Heatley.

Not a chance.

Go Finland.

Oh good grief people.

42. B.C.B. says:

What I hear, today, Tambo say that the reason why the Oilers have not signed another defensive forward is the number of bodies not the number of contracts. I think he was referring to the 23 man roster, not the 50 man contract list.
    This would explain Brodziak's trade as well: not to reduce the number of contracts, but number of bodies coming in to TC. He was a causality not of contracts but of jobs come October.

From my count there are 13 forwards one way contracts: Hemsky, Horcoff, Penner, Gagner, Cogliano, Patty'O, Poo, Pisani, Moreau, Zorg, SMac, JFJ,and Nilsson. Plus Reddox, Potulny, Schremp, Minard,and Brule all competing for that last spot (I believe all of these have to pass through waivers, if my reading of the CBA is correct). Unless there is a buy-out or trade, the Oil risk losing multiple players through waivers.
    This would a risk I would be willing to take if it gets us a 3C (I would risk its by waiving Nilsson, quickly followed by Schremp . . .). Realistically JFJ maybe able to pass through waivers based on his injuries; Nilsson should be able based on his salary, and pass through re-entry based on next years salary; I don't think folks would be taking Reddox; but for Potulny and Minard I'd be worried.

43. PunjabiOil says:

Oh good grief people.

What's the issue, LT?

44. DeeDee says:

The sheer number of bad contracts on this team leaves very little room to do much of anything.

Time to run with what we got, evaluate the existing personnel, and see what difference the new coaching staff makes.

If we are awful come the trade deadline, trade away some of the 30+ year old veteran talent to teams looking to make a cup run, and sink to the bottom and try to land a top draft pick.

Heck, play a trap, look for a shoot out every night and let the skill guys try to win it for us.

45. NBOilerFan says:

Good to have this issue resolved for sure. There is still lots of time to get a deal done. There is no question in my mind that Tambellini's plan was always to deal bodies for bodies, not go after free agents (with teh exception of goaltending of course as they wanted to make sure they filed that void ASAP, by there overpay in term for a over 35 player).

I did enjoy Tencer's question about "risk" with starting teh season with tjhis roster and Tambellini was agitated…lol. Great question and glad he asked it.

… and off in the distance you can hear the laughter of MacT.

PJ Oil: Nothing happened today that should make you cheer for another country. Even Finland. You're Canadian dammit and that's all there is about that.

In regard to Tambellini's comments, I think it's completely reasonable for them to say one thing to the media and be talking another in the backroom. Do we have any kind of history that tells us Pat Quinn will begin the season without better options at center?

Unless they're going to grind poor old Pisani into fine powder again this team gets a center by opening night. I think this is pretty obvious.

47. oilersinsider says:

I wonder if there is a reason the Oilers haven`t inquired about a trade with the Sharks.

Based on the amount of bodies San Jose has and the Oilers have, a trade between these two teams makes sense.

Ie. a Marleau for a Nilsson, Smid or Schremp and Pouliot. Saves cap space and adds contracts for the Sharks, both which they need and relieves the Oilers of some bodies.

48. PunjabiOil says:

Yes, I'm Candian, but there's context to consider.

On the same token you could argue that Dany Heatley is declining to play in Canadian city in favour of an American one (San Jose). How Canadian is that? Likewise with Chris Pronger, another guy expected to be on the team. Or just about another other Canadian free agent that turns his back on the Oilers?

Then you have Jay Bouwmeester who betrays his home town to sign with a rival. The fact that Edmonton natives, Iginla and Phaneuf play on the most hated rival adds to the tally of 5 players (25% of the team) that the Oilers fans have reason to hate.

Could you say that you vocally cheer and follow the mens National soccer team like myself?

How about the mens bandy team, or the ringnette team? Do you cheer for those national teams or are you indifferent because you don't feel any association towards them?

One of my best friends is a Habs fan. Born and raised in Edmonton. I don't go around telling him that he's an Edmontonian, and should be cheering for the Oilers.

I don't this an issue at all.

49. Coach pb9617 says:

I put that in the "obvious" category :)

I think that opening up possibilities is the upshot here.

50. Coach pb9617 says:

Hey. Kurri is from Finland. Finland is a good place.

51. PunjabiOil says:

Last season, where there were numerous concerns expressed against going into the season weak at centre, and the need to re-sign Marty Reasoner [God Bless him]. These concerns were not resolved, even during the season when it was painfully visible.

In the 2007 off-season, many of us were talking about the need of anoother veteran winger [Mike Johnson]. That didn't materialize.

The Oilers motto: Aim high (Hossa, Heatley, Jagr) or do sweet fuck all. No middle ground.

52. PunjabiOil says:

53. kris says:

LT:

Why do you think Quin will do any better demanding a vet 3C than MacT did. Does he want a 3C more or does he have more clout? I don't get it?

PJ OIL:

A.) It's hard to hold it against Iginla and Bouwm. that they play for the Flames. Don't get me wrong, I would root for the Hades-town Nazi-Pedophiles before I rooted for the Flames, but my hatred doesn't carry over to the players. I hated Theo Fleury, Joe Nieuwendyk, and Al Macinnis with a passion, but when they were on Team Canada, man oh man, those guys were some of my favorites. B.) In the past, Team Canada has employed bigger fools than Heatley, e.g. Claude Lemieux and Todd Bertuzzi, and players who refused to play for Canadian cities, e.g. Lindros.

54. kris says:

That is, my hatred doesn't carry over to the players when they're not in Flames's sweaters.

55. PunjabiOil says:

It's hard to hold it against Iginla and Bouwm. that they play for the Flames.

Bouwmeester should be held accountable. He willingly signed with the Flames, and mentioned that Edmonton would not be a good fit for him because of "what happened to Comrie, Lupul, and Chimera"

The guys spends his summers in Edmonton. He very well knows what kind of reptuation hit Edmonton has taken in the past few years. If there was any sort of civic pride in him, he'd want to remedy the situation. Signing with the biggest rival goes against that.

Iginla and Phaneuf are more understandable situations given they were drafted there. Still doesn't mean I like them, and there's no Wayne Gretzky this time around. Go Finland indeed.

56. DBO says:

wow. the sphere running the gamut of emotions. Almost all of us hated the heatley thing. Personally i like the youth for a top 3 player, but not at that contract since it meant moving another piece to fit under the cap. We need NHL bodies, not question marks to fill out our roster. Personally i would make the Horton and prospect for Gilbert, Nilsson and Schremp rumour from earlier in the week. 2 NHL contracts out, 1 back. Still young, fills a need at power forward, can play wing and centre. You can then either move Cogs to 2W and bring in a vet 3C (Moore or Malhotra, which at this point will cost us less then $1.5 m) or move Cogs for a solid young centre who fills that role (Dubinsky or Campbell from FLA, although I doubt they move him). the sky is not falling, we haven't killed ourselves cap wise, and there are still a bunch of solid NHLer's hoping for a deal that can be picked up on the cheap in late August. Sucks for us fans, but the reality is that our team will be better based solely on growth of our young players.

57. Black Dog says:

Take Tambellini out at dawn and shoot him!

Take Bouwmeester out at dusk and shoot him!

Take me out right now and shoot me!

But first a beer. Because its SUMMER!

Go Upper Slobovia!

PJ Oil: You can cheer for whatever team you choose to, but I don't see the point in changing flags over anything that happened today.

As for Bouwmeester, we have zero idea about the reasons behind his decision and honestly can't imagine why you would take it personally.

59. Bruce says:

I'll say the same thing on July 31 that I said on July 1:

Go fuck yourself, Dany Boy.

60. docweb says:

@ PJO

I hear you loud and clear. Maybe because I'm older and the rivalry was more intense but… if I was raised an Oiler fan there is NO way I would play for the Flames.

Yes…if you are drafted or traded well.. what can you do.

But as a free agent?? Honestly there are 28 other teams to sign for.

JayBo raising the Cup as a Flame is just a poke in the eye to his fellow Edmontonians.

Sorry LT…this point just drives me crazy.

61. kris says:

PJO:

Seriously? I mean, if I were offered a better job, or even the same job, in a city that I thought would be more fun to live in, I would take it.

'Civic pride' is something; it gives me a reason to not litter and to volunteer and stuff. But I wouldn't take it into account when I was deciding on whether to move to a city that was more fun, e.g. NYC, the Bay area, LA.

But this is getting pretty far afield. If you want to root against Team Canada, that's cool I guess. Just get used to it, because Bouwm. and Heatley are going to be there for a while.

62. PunjabiOil says:

The day Souray was not on the Team Canada invite list, was the day I ''changed'' flags.

I also believe Dany Heatley truly 'changed' flags, if we're going to use that argument.

As far as Jay Bouwmeester goes, there has been plenty of information through the grape vine that he wasn't willing to 'handle the pressure' of playing in his home-town. Certainly given that he spends his summers in Edmonton, and is building a home here, there shouldn't theoretically been an issue playing here.

63. docweb says:

P.S.

As far as cheering for another country…you are on your own there pal.

64. PunjabiOil says:

That's all fine and well, but I don't think anyone can then go against the fans if they don't root for the said player(s) in the future.

65. PunjabiOil says:

As far as cheering for another country…you are on your own there pal

Which is absolutely fine with me. I have no objection to living with my own standards as opposed to those of others.

I root for the two most frustrating teams. The Edmonton Oilers and the Mens National Soccer Team.

66. B.C.B. says:

I regularly cheer for 'another' countries team. I always cheer for the underdog (i.e. Belarus, Kazakhstan, etc . . ) when they are playing Canada, and also I often cheer for Russia when they are playing Canada (because I want the rivalry of my childhood back, and that can't happen if we win most of the time, like say in the 90's). But I also cheer for Canada.

67. General Factotum says:

As I recall, playing near home worked out pretty well for Mark Messier and Grant Fuhr, so I really don't get what JBo was worried about, unless he doesn't think he's a better hockey player than Lupul or Comrie.

But, hey, I don't work in Edmonton any more, either, so I should talk. I'll tell you this, though: it'd be a cold day in hell before that hideous flaming C jersey ever went over my head. That's the one team I can guarantee you I would never, ever play for.

The Calgary Cowboys were pretty cool. The Flames, not so much. It's the difference between Bill Flett and Lanny McDonald.

But that's just me.

PJ Oil: Funny story from a few years ago. The church I go to had a guest priest from (I think) Poland. So, I'm making small talk and say "how's your time here going" and he says okay but Poland lost their qualifying game this morning for the World Cup.

So, I'm trying to be nice and say "yeah, Canada is in tough and didn't make it either."

You'd have thought I shot his mother. He went into about 3 minutes of "we're better than Canada!" and everyone is turning around wondering what happened to make the priest so mad.

Swear I was just trying to be nice.

69. docweb says:

OK… in order:

Canada
    Edmonton Oilers
    Edmonton Eskimos
    Geelong Cats

Anybody playing/cheering against these I am against. Other than that, I can flip flop with the best of them.

Oilers
    Expos
    Canada
    Diane Lane

You cross them, you're in trouble at my house.

71. DanMan says:

If Cogliano is placed between arguably our 2 best defensive wingers (Pisani, Moreau), there shouldn't be a problem with bleeding chances against.

72. DanMan says:

1. Canada
    1. (a) Oilers
    1. (b) Edmonton
    1. (c) Chicago Bears
    2. Eskimos
    3. Raptors
    4. Jays

3 and 4 I only care if a playoff run is in reach.

73. Black Dog says:

I can't believe that Bouwmeester wouldn't want to play in Edmonton. Its not like the fans are completely mental or anything.

74. Subversive says:

I don't usually comment on this blog since I'm a Flames fan. However I usually enjoy the discourse and wish more Flames blogs had the quantity of quality commenters (if that makes sense) found here, but this just made me laugh. Not cheering for Team Canada because Jay Bouwmeester has no civic pride? Hah! That is just…. the worst reason I've ever heard, for anything.

75. Black Dog says:

1. Canada
    2. Oilers
    3. redheads
    4. redheads

76. DanMan says:

LT: Diane Lane is cougarrific ;)

77. Traktor says:

Nothing worse than someone who shits where they sleep.

78. Black Dog says:

DanMan – so 3 and 4 don't matter then? ;)

79. Traktor says:

That's because your French.

80. kris says:

LT,

What would you do if Diane Lane signed with the Flames, who then played the Oilers and a resurrected Expos squad in a game of Mononpoly.

Or do you not like Monopoly?

Diane Lane can do any damn thing she wants.

Traktor: Dutch, actually.

83. Traktor says:

Makes two of us.

Well, then I retract the previous remark. :-) Ever had Dutch beer?

85. Coach pb9617 says:

LT,
    Warren Zevon for you and David Bowie for the girl.

86. B.C.B. says:

3. redheads
    4. redheads

At least I know Black Dog and I have similar priorities.

oh, my number 1. Oilers, 2. Eskimos, and 5. anyone but USA

87. Traktor says:

LT:

I don't think so.

When I was younger I would try a new brand every week but I was more of a drink to get drunk type so after a few they all tasted the same.

88. Master Lok says:

At the thought of all the minutes upcoming next season, somewhere Pisani's colon gives a painful squeeze and Horcoff's shoulder falls into dust.

If Horcoff gets injured – who's our next best defensive forward? After Pisani?

89. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Master Lok said…

If Horcoff gets injured – who's our next best defensive forward? After Pisani?

Smid.

Oh wait, he's not signed.

90. Steve says:

I've been cheering for Finland in international hockey events since at least 1998. I have no idea why. But if you're in the Edmonton area, PunjabiOil, we should meet for a chest bump sometime.

91. B.C.B. says:

If Horcoff gets injured – who's our next best defensive forward? After Pisani?

Smid.

No the really scary thing is that it is Moreau then Smid/Strudswick! We are screwed.

92. HBomb says:

1. Oilers
    2. Team Canada Hockey
    3. Eskimos
    4. Red Sox
    5. MasterBatters softball….

That's my "big five".

What PJO is saying here is more ridiculous than his commentary on Ricky Ray last week – you do not change flags just because Dany Heatley or a couple of Calgary Flames (Phaneuf won't be there) are playing for Team Canada.

I'm not about to take it out on Bouwmeester or Iginla because the Oilers were too dumb to a) try to take a shot at a UFA they would have had a chance at (the stuff about Bouwmeester not wanting to be here is 2006 news – if he signed in Calgary, he would have signed in Edmonton), or, going further back into a previous era, b) draft Iginla instead of all-time superstar Steve Kelly.

For those who do – well, it's quite sad actually, how some things never change….

93. DanMan says:

wow, did you guys hear that ched interview with Tambo?

Tambo layeth the smacketh down on Tencer

94. PunjabiOil says:

more ridiculous than his commentary on Ricky Ray last week

Easy to yap now after the guy plays his best game in 2 years.

I didn't know there was a code of conduct for Sports Entertainment.

Oh really, wise one?

June 28, 2009. A far cry from 2006.

Home's for off-season

Jay Bouwmeester is building a splendid house in Edmonton, but only to live in it during the summer. The idea of signing with his hometown Oilers has never really crossed his mind.

"I don't know if it would be the best fit for me. I've kind of seen what Joffrey (Lupul), (Jason) Chimera and (Mike) Comrie have been through (as local boys who had to deal with the pressure brought to bear by fans)," he said.

I need info on the Tencer interview. Is it archived?

96. Icecastles says:

This says everything that needs to be said on this topic.

(took three tries to make that come out right… a sign that I've been trolling far too much lately)

Just listened to the Tencer/Stauffer interview and once again come away with the opinion they're not done.

The Oilers roster has been out of balance since the lockout ended and I don't expect that to change. However, the Oilers as they stand now have a major weakness at center and lack an "old reliable" for the middle.

I'd like to hear Pat Quinn's opinion on this one. Maybe they feel there will be waiver moves or possibly they are waiting for teams to get their ducks in order.

The one quote that really rang for me in the entire interview was "once you sign these guys you've got them"

That tells us two things:

1. Katz isn't going to bury any contracts.

2. Tambellini isn't getting a lot of interest from other GM's in regard to the players who are not established NHLers.

Neither is a surprise.

98. Fake Craig McTavish says:

LT:

There is a major disconnect in your conclusion.

You've pointed out the reasons why the Oilers aren't likely to make any further moves and are ignoring the most salient point in the entire interview.

"we're going to have a great hockey club".

You're thinking with your heart. They're done.

99. B.C.B. says:

LT where is the archive for that interview, I can't find it.

100. pboy says:

1. Oilers
    2. Red Sox
    3. Lakers
    4. Cowboys

Of course, International Hockey vaults Team Canada to the top of the pile but that's typical of most Cdn's.

101. Fake Craig McTavish says:

BCB.

oilers.com

102. HBomb says:

Easy to yap now after the guy plays his best game in 2 years.

Funny how it works that when the Esks have a game-plan where they run the ball more than five times, they win. Anyone with a basic degree of football knowledge can see that no QB would succeed in a 1-dimensional offence. There's a reason Ray is often talked about in the same breath as Anthony Calvillo. Probably the same reason he's starting over your boy Maas. Because he's pretty damn good.

I won't mention the Team Canada thing further, because I can see enough people agree with me that you're taking a ridiculous stance.

As for the Bouwmeester quote:

1) I'd like to see the context that quote in the bigger interview. Maybe he never gave it serious thought because the Oilers never did either, hmm? And before you say "it was prior to July 1st, how could they have talked to him" – if you think there isn't back-channel communication going on with pending free agents prior to July 1st each and every year, you're kidding yourself.

2) Jim Matheson is nowhere near as connected as he used to be, and I will trust the people I know who are better connected than any of us here when they tell me that. The guy shoots down basically every suggested Oiler-related rumor out there, and when was the last time he floated something unique (i.e. everyone in town had Pitkanen-for-Cole) and it came true?

Bouwmeester was open to the idea of playing here, but the Oilers never got serious about making a sales pitch when they probably should have. If the Oilers had been the ones to give up a 3rd round draft pick and Katz, Lowe, Tambellini and co. had put on a similar full-court press to what they did with Heatley, I'd bet good money that he'd have signed here.

Even if they had to give away Sheldon Souray to LA in a salary dump, long-term, it would have been the smart move for this hockey club.

FCM: "We're going to have a great hockey club" means they're going to stand pat? I don't see it.

Late in the interview asks again about adding and Tambellini comes back with "all these contracts."

At some point the organization is either going to find a market for someone like Staios or Nilsson. If they don't, Pat Quinn is going to say something in public during TC.

The only other option is that they're going to make some kind of major move, like Pisani at center.

Or Hemsky at center.

104. SK Oiler Fan says:

So it's back to a development year now. Fine, make it a good one. I want a lottery pick this time dammit!

Buddy's a Leaf fan. he said it was entertaining not caring if they lost games last year. I'm looking forward to just enjoying hockey games and not caring if the Oilers lose. The remote control will take less abuse.

Stupid thing is, historically when the Oilers are written off as also rans they usually pull 8th out of their ass.

105. PDO says:

HBomb:

Swish.

I missed… are these lists for teams you live and die with the most, or hold the most loyalty to?

Loyalty:

1. Canada
    2. Oilers
    3. Esks
    4. Ravens
    5. Cardinals

It's a good list, obviously, since it's mine.

106. PunjabiOil says:

You have your opinion. I have mine. All I know is that his numbers since coming back from the NFL (TD:INT ratio, red zone percentage, etc. leave a lot to be desired).

Good for you.

As for the Bouwmeester quote:

The quote directly implies he had concerns about playing in is his hometown do to what he witnessed with other local boys.

These same rumours have been floating for years – they were merely confirmed here.

It's not as if the Oilers have made a lot of acquisitions over the past few years.

Regardless, he's getting direct quotes from the players.

There are plenty of sources in town that have confirmed Jay Bouwmeester's stance. One of my friends who went to the same school at Jay Boumeester has been repeating this rumour for years.

107. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Lowetide said…

Or Hemsky at center.

LT, the problem is you and may of the folks around here are smarter than the people running the team.

Let me paraphrase for a moment:

"We have a Stanley Cup winning goaltender" Phht.

"Visnovsky will be back". Nice.

"Our young players will be better" (like no one else's will be)

"We have a great team".

Giddyup.

That's all hyperbole. The Oilers do in fact believe they've upgraded in goal, do in fact believe the extra Visnovsky games will help, do in fact think the kids will be better.

However, they also know there are holes, in fact the HF interview at the draft (re: Brule) implied as much.

Does anyone seriously believe this team is covered at center? How many days of TC do you think it'll take before Quinn starts muttering?

109. quain says:

How many days did it take before MacTavish was muttering and playing Pisani at center?

quain: In every season including the last one MacT had more options. Opening night C:

2005-Horcoff, Peca, Stoll, Reasoner
    2006-Horcoff, Sykora, Stoll, Reasoner
    2007-Horcoff, Stoll, Reasoner, Cogliano
    2008-Horcoff, Gagner, Pisani, Brodziak

Projected 2009
    Horcoff
    Gagner
    Pouliot
    Brule

111. HBomb says:

PJO:

Lots of people can repeat "old" rumors. Doesn't mean they still hold true.

All I'll say is this – Bouwmeester's opinion of playing in Edmonton in spring 2009 was drastically different than the opinion he had in spring 2006 (when he was mentioned in every second Chris Pronger trade rumor) – and I will take the word of the person who told me this as nothing short of gold, based on the fact he had the Smyth trade a full hour before TSN did in February 2007.

As for Mr. Ray – like goaltender winning percentage and goals against average being impacted by the team performance, things like interception numbers and red zone percentage are going to take a beating when the opposition knows every snap that it's about a 95% chance it's a passing play coming.

Combine that with some of the issues with O-line personnel that have been experienced over the past three CFL seasons (i.e. teams know they can drop eight into coverage and still get off a decent pass rush), and drop offs in the areas you refer to can be easily explained. Take last night for example – even though the Esks didn't rack up massive rushing totals, they forced the Als to stay honest and keep guys in the box to stop the run, and that opened up things such as the mid-range routes to Kamau Peterson and the deep stuff to Fred Stamps. Amazing how a balanced attack works, eh?

Arguing that Ricky Ray isn't an elite CFL QB based on TD/INT ratio or red zone percentage over the past three seasons, in my books, is akin to sportswriters calling Mikka Kiprusoff a Vezina candidate this year based on a high win total. Very misguided when you look at the context and what else was going on with the Esks offense.

This being said, I will give you credit – I think there's only about three people in the city of Edmonton who still think Maas is the better alternative at QB. That's loyalty right there. Good guy, glad he's part of the Esks organization – but he's a back-up for a reason.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bask in the glory of the Red Sox winning twice today (getting Victor Martinez AND beating the Orioles), coupled with a Yankee loss in Chicago. Tonight's drink tip: mix 1/2 sprite or 7-Up with 1/2 Tetley's English Ale, and you will ironically end up with something that tastes like iced tea.

PS: There's root beer flavored vodka now (available in Three Olives brand). The flavored vodka craze continues.

112. kris says:

LT,

Diane Lane doesn't know you.

The Expos are dead and gone.

Pouliot is our 3C.

Know ye who enter here, abandon all hope.

Speaking of baseball and hypberbole, did everyone BUT Halliday get traded today?

114. Black Dog says:

Well Quinn is Tambellini's man and he's an astute politician to boot.

Tambellini has put most of his eggs in the Quinn basket.

If Quinn tells him that he wants a veteran centre then Tambellini will get it done – if not how long before Quinn has Katz's ear?

Pat Quinn has been around a long long time and is a very very smart guy. If Tambellini does not give him what he wants how long do you think before Quinn was in the GM's chair?

Not all that long. All it would take is Pat Quinn making clear to Mr. Katz what he wanted from day one and the fact that the GM never delivered it.

kris: Actually, if Pouliot succeeds as 3line C this season it'll be a great season. As for Miss Lane, details, details.:-)

116. quain says:

It's pretty unfair to say that last season was superior to this season because MacT ran out Pisani at center. Quinn has the exact same option.

Quinn can run out Horcoff, Gagner, Pisani, and Pouliot. Gagner is a year older and should be better, and Pouliot is probably a superior player to beginning of 08-09 Brodziak.

If we compare legitimate C between the years:

08-09: Horcoff, Gagner, Pouliot, Brodziak
    09-10: Horcoff, Gagner, Pouliot, Brule

They're both garbage, and no move was made in 08-09 to shore it up. We were in a playoff spot at the deadline, and no move was made to shore up center. I really have no idea why you're so sure that these idiots won't piss away another season watching Horcoff try to cover for three kids who can't do anything but drown.

117. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Lowetide said…

What they think and what is true are not necessarily the same thing.

They believe they've upgraded in goal. Have they? Post lockout numbers indicate the opposite may be true and when Khabibulin gets shelled on a nightly basis his performance is more likely than not to regress to the mean. And that's not good.

I'm sure they believe more games from Visnovsky will be a benefit and I'm sure that will be the case.

Will extra games from, Kariya, Johnson, Brewer, Oshie, Morrow, Lehtinen, Ott, Ryan, Samuelsson and Bouwmeester, among many others, be of no benefit?

And which teams, who have more, and better, kids will not also benefit from another year of of development?

I don't think they acknowledge there are holes and it appears any plea from Quinn will likely get the same reception that MacT got when he wanted to bring back Reasoner.

The good news for you, is your long adoration of Pouliot seems likely to be put to the test.

Yikes.

118. Black Dog says:

LT – that reminds me, you've been traded to LA.

Ironically Diane Lane is part of the package coming the other way.

And she says 'hi' btw. Penelope Cruz too.

119. SK Oiler Fan says:

Hell, the Oilers don't even have any high value UFAs to trade for decent picks at the deadline:
    Pisani = 2nd rounder at best
    McIntyre = zero value
    Strudwick = zero value
    Minard = zero value

120. kris says:

Actually, I kind of like going into the season with our only hope being development from the young guys. That's just how it is to be an Oiler fan. It's almost always disappointing, but when the kids do start to shine, man it's exciting.

121. HBomb says:

Yep. The Jays even picked up the re-animated corpse of Babe Ruth for a AA pitching prospect, because they're THAT desperate for a power bat in their lineup.

You know what I like about baseball? The fact you are unable to deal draft picks prior to using them. That's one of the few good things about the MLB draft though (the fact foreign players are still totally exempt blows my mind in terms of the idea of creating parity).

Black Dog: If it happened to Joffrey Lupul it can happen to me.

quain: Brodziak wasn't the world's best center but replacing him with Brule isn't par.

FCM: You've written the same post several times now and I'm not certain why. Is there some kind of trap door that flips when St. Louis makes the playoffs?

We entered today with the Heatley trade still hanging overhead. I'm very happy (honestly) that it's over and the three men who were going remain.

It's my opinion the Oilers will make a move at center, might add a veteran winger and should get further help in goal.

But even if they only address center I think they'll be a strong contender for 8th. Having said that, it's a long off-season and there are more moves to come.

123. Traktor says:

Most around these parts view Horcoff as one of the best defensive players in the league.

I agree.

So doesn't it make sense then to use Horcoff in defensive situations like own-zone draws to prevent goals?

It would be absolutely crazy to have one of the best defensive forwards in the league like Horcoff and not use him in crucial defensive situations.

"Does anyone seriously believe this team is covered at center?"

If Quinn throws Horcoff to the wolves then we'll be fine. Pouliot can take over Brodziak's secondary tough minutes and Gagner and Cogliano can take on the rest.

5×5 wasn't the problem last year – almost every single player had a positive GFON/GAON/60 differential.

The problem was special teams – Horcoff's PPGFON60/PKGAON60 differential was -3.03

124. Fake Craig McTavish says:

@ LT.

If two posts count for several, then I guess I'm guilty.

And the trap door does flip when STL, CLB, DAL and possibly LA makes the playoffs…there's no more room.

Traktor: That may be what they're thinking. Use Horcoff (without Hemsky) as a defensive line anchor and move Gagner (with Hemsky) to a soft minutes line ala Selanne in ANA.

FCM: If the price of making the playoffs is flushing youth I'll wait another year. It's obvious several teams have improved in the west and St. Louis most certainly have moved forward in a way similar to Chicago a couple of years ago.

Having said that, I am much happier with the Oilers staying the course than trading Cogliano, Penner and Smid for Dany Heatley.

127. Fake Craig McTavish says:

@ LT.

I'm absolutely on board there but what I'm not buying is that a vet 3rd line centre makes any difference at all in the long run.

The team needs much more than that to be a competitor and gilding a wilted lily is just a waste of another season.

The Oilers problems cannot be solved with an incremental approach because the imbalance between rebuilding and "win now" is just too great to bridge.

By the time the incremental changes are effective, the "win now" pieces are ineffective.

There is no plan here. It's all about doing just enough to sell tickets.

And, to a very long time fan, that's sad.

But, humor me. This veteran center might push Brule to the pressbox and Schremp to Atlanta but the Oilers can afford that kind of loss.

Earl Weaver always said never put a young player in a position to fail. I think Cogliano is certainly in that spot if he's playing 3line C and Brule will be a gas (in a bad way).

Pouliot might be able to manage it and I'm hoping, but some insurance would be nice.

If the Oilers are going to lose anyway, why not at least balance the roster for G1? It would be a nice change.

129. Fake Craig McTavish says:

LT.

I think we have one more season of evaluation under Quinn and Renney before the real problems will be addressed and some of Lowe's indiscretions start falling by the wayside.

Until then, tweaking the roster in hopes of squeaking into a playoff spot, as unlikely as that seems, might be attractive but it would likely do more to mask the problems than anything.

The Oiler's forward corp from top to bottom, is pretty much a mess IMO and short term bandages won't sort that out.

130. Coach pb9617 says:

Wow, so apparently Dany Heatley was the savior.

The more you know…

131. HBomb says:

Traktor: regardless of whether or not they play Horcoff with Hemsky or not, they need another veteran center in some capacity if they want to have a shot at the playoffs. Horcoff plus three kids at center won't cut it no matter what the permutations and combinations of linemates are.

132. DanMan says:

FCM: STL and LA are in signifigantly more questionable situations in goal than we are.

133. Traktor says:

HBomb:

If Pouliot is as useful as LT says then we have nothing to worry about.

134. B.C.B. says:

I think the Oilers need to make the playoff precisely because we are rebuilding. Players like Cogs, Gagner, Gilbert, Acid Eater, Smid, Poo, Brule, Zorg, and Patty'O have all never made the playoffs. Most of these players fall into LT's cluster. Some playoff experience (even if it is only in the first round) would be nice before we expect them to compete.

135. HBomb says:

Traktor: I like Pouliot like LT does, and think he`s useful.

If he's the 4C, we have decent enough depth. If he's the 3C, well, we've got big enough problems.

136. spOILer says:

Oilersinsider>

Re: Hossa

Absolutely, there would only be a penalty to pay, fine + possible loss of draft pick, but I was beng facetious. Tambo had already said the UFA market is closed to them because they would have to move contracts.

Sad really because Tambo must be saying the trade market is essentially closed–I think LT might contend that it is closed considering the kids he has on his roster. Would he let Nilsson go for a 4th say, to sign a Tanguay?

137. spOILer says:

LT: You quoted KP earlier this month. Apparently he said they were likely to go to camp with the roster they have now. That was my reference for the we're-not-obtaining-a-3C issue.

And I'll add a 4th reason:

-Cogliano

As you have stated, if there are no more moves, expect to see articles about one of the up-and-comers as we approach the season. Similarly, I think everything we have heard from the Oil this month has been about preparing us for no more moves. This might be posturing for a trade, true, but I doubt it.

I'll bet you a beer that the Oil don't go get a vet 3C prior to the season.

138. spOILer says:

And I do hope that by making that bet, I've reverse-jinxed the no-move theory.

All right, time to da-sh to bed.

P.S. Quinton Porter is gonna be a CFL All-Star (although not-a-great-night tonight). And, heehee haha, my roommate is a Lions fan. Sweet week if the Stamps lose now.

139. hunter1909 says:

"We're going to have a great hockey club"

Okay out with it. Who's been stealing my angel dust?

140. NBOilerFan says:

Lowetide said…

I don't know LT, I didn't come away with that being a certainty. I think they will keep trying, and I keep hoping they are not yet done, but I think that the presser was as much about planting the seed that this is indeed the roster that we start with. Which is why, IMO, Tambellini was so upset with Tencer question, which was the best one asked and he deserves props for asking it.

Like Dan said, most Oiler fans (myself included) see a sideways move in net, and the loss of Kotalik and Brodziak as a step back, not forward.

The quote for me is the one about how they "went hard" into free agency, and got the goalie they wanted, and tried hard to make a splash (Heatley). I am starting to once again reserve myself to the idea that we are looking at the starting roster. There is still time, and there are still many teams out of wack, so I think this year for then others, there is still a decent chance that a big deal could happen forore training camp, but I think Tambellini set the stage for no deal repeatedly mentioning that its hard to move players.

oilersinsider said…

The reason? It's named Dany Heatley. SJ was Heatleys preferred destination, and Tambellini wasn't going to help SJ make room for him, not when the prize they wanted was Heatley himself.

And as much as they say they are out of the Heatley sweepstakes, I doubt they completely closed the door on this with Murray. My guess is that they told Murray they were moving on, but if anything changed with Heatley, they'd be willing to revisit the trade option.

141. oilerdiehard says:

LT – As for the veteran center, there's still time and based on all logic and reason they're going to address it.

Well this same management team had the exact same hole all of last season. Then did absolutely nothing about it. So why is it so hard to believe they will not do the same all over again?

By the way if memory serves. I think you said something similar to the above last off-season as well.

For an example Gregor said he ran into Blair Betts in the last couple days. He said they not have one single call from the Oilers. They seem to have no interest in this area.

It is a scary thought but I think we are going into the season with exactly what we have right now.

oilerdiehard: I certainly did, we've been talking on this blog about a lack of balance forever.

The difference here imo is that we need to make a giant leap of faith in regard to Brule. Nothing indicates he'll be able to help as much as Brodziak did last season.

Nothing stats related anyway, unless he was winning faceoffs in Springfield and no one told us.

If Quinn comes to camp with this roster and doesn't say one word about the thin position at center, I'd say it's either:

1. Quinn believes he can improve the kids (Cogs, Gags) away from the puck and in the dot

2. The organization is so giddy about Pouliot's move to center they've convinced themselves it's a plan

3. Brule is in fact a better center than the stats imply

4. They're going to move a winger to center and haven't told us about it

5. Sam Gagner is going to be on the 1line.

143. Fake Craig McTavish says:

DanMan said…

Really?
    Quick had a SV % of .914 in 44 GP.
    Ersberg .900 in 28 GP

Khabibulin was .919 in 42 GP
    JDD was .901 in 10 GP.

LA gave up 28.1 shots per games. the Oilers gave up 32.5 or, over a season, more than 300 additional shots.

All else being equal, (it isn't really because the Kings have added Scuderi, a top shot blocker, to their defense) you would think that goals against will be more of a problem for the Oilers than the Kings.

As for STL, Mason looks pretty solid to me and I'd rather have Conklin as a backup that the untested JDD.

144. quain says:

COUNT THE RINGS!!!

145. Fake Craig McTavish says:

quain said…
    COUNT THE RINGS!!!

Is that how they're marking goals against now?

Just one more "advanced stat" after another.

It's so hard to keep up.

146. R O says:

Is that how they're marking goals against now?

It's only used to mark softgoals against.

147. oilerdiehard says:

Lowetide said…

3. Brule is in fact a better center than the stats imply

4. They're going to move a winger to center and haven't told us about it

5. Sam Gagner is going to be on the 1line.

I will take option 2 & 5 for the win.

In all seriousness though. I do think management might be thinking along these lines. Not to mention with Prendergast having more say (see JDD is a blue chipper constant mantra). Just might have us wanting to give kids (by putting them in a position to fail most times) those spots we know need to go to vets.

One thing Quinn has said consistently since his hire date (including after free agency started) in interviews. He will take and work with whatever roster the Manager sees fit to give him. I am not sure there will be that much grumbling. At least not right away.

It appears we are going to do exactly what you said. A repeat of last season while plugging someone who is even less capable than Brodziak into that role.