Among the items:
- Re: Heatley. “Any type of player movement takes time, whether you’re at the draft or trading.” Later: “He’s a good person.”
- Where is the Heatley deal now? “We’re trying to better our hockey club. Where this goes at this point I’m not sure, that’s up to Bryan (Murray) and Dany Heatley.” Later: “They just haven’t made a decision yet, we’ll see where it goes.”
- Deadline? “It depends on what the deal looks like, or if we have other options.”
- Heatley deal handcuff the team? “No, none whatsover. Coming into free agency goaltending was number one. We felt being able to attract Nik to come to us at that point was huge and solidified our goaltending for the next four years.” Talked also about him tutoring the kids.
- Khabibulin: “Khabibulin was number one on our list, but we weren’t sure we were going to be able to get him.”
- Where does this leave you re:UFA. “We have a full roster of signed players, so unless you’re making a trade and players are going out, it’s hard to bring people in. Lots of our discussion revolved around some sort of movement.”
- Grebeshkov signing: “I don’t see any problems there.”
Reading the tea leaves, I’d say:
- The goalie problem is solved in their eyes
- The sniper situation is Heatley and nothing else at this point
- Grit additions weren’t mentioned, good news for Jacques, MacIntyre etc.
- That 3line C will come via trade