Tambellini’s PC: "We’re Just Trying to Make our Team Better"

Among the items:

1. Re: Heatley. “Any type of player movement takes time, whether you’re at the draft or trading.” Later: “He’s a good person.”
  2. Where is the Heatley deal now? “We’re trying to better our hockey club. Where this goes at this point I’m not sure, that’s up to Bryan (Murray) and Dany Heatley.” Later: “They just haven’t made a decision yet, we’ll see where it goes.”
  3. Deadline? “It depends on what the deal looks like, or if we have other options.”
  4. Heatley deal handcuff the team? “No, none whatsover. Coming into free agency goaltending was number one. We felt being able to attract Nik to come to us at that point was huge and solidified our goaltending for the next four years.” Talked also about him tutoring the kids.
  5. Khabibulin: “Khabibulin was number one on our list, but we weren’t sure we were going to be able to get him.”
  6. Where does this leave you re:UFA. “We have a full roster of signed players, so unless you’re making a trade and players are going out, it’s hard to bring people in. Lots of our discussion revolved around some sort of movement.”
  7. Grebeshkov signing: “I don’t see any problems there.”

Reading the tea leaves, I’d say:

• The goalie problem is solved in their eyes
  • The sniper situation is Heatley and nothing else at this point
  • Grit additions weren’t mentioned, good news for Jacques, MacIntyre etc.
  • That 3line C will come via trade

99 Responses to "Tambellini’s PC: "We’re Just Trying to Make our Team Better""

1. hunter1909 says:

I think Tambellini talks well. If he were to shoot off his mouth like Kevin Lowe, well, what's the use in telling everyone including your competitors your innermost thoughts?

He seems like a pretty cool GM.

2. Gord says:

If he does not see any problems with signing Grebeshkov, why have they not signed him?

All I keep rememdering is that they admitted they had not signed Grebeshkov prior to the draft b because they wanted to see if better options were available in the trade market.

New Oiler management appears to be just as incompetent as old Oiler management (i.e. Hejda / Glencross)…

3. trav77 says:

I think we'll have a better outlook on this hockey team this time next year. he needs to clear the shelves before he can restock them.

4. Scott says:

In my bizarro world PC where Lowe is still GM:

Re plans:
    Expect the unexpected. That is all.

Re Heatley:
    Is it me? It's me, isn't it?

Closing Statements:
    If Tom Gilbert doesn't make team USA I'm planning on punching Brian Burke in his fat mouth. I'm going to wear all my cup rings when I do it, too.

5. Scott says:

Nash locked up for 8 years at 7.8 per TSN.

Brian Burke is going to be pissed with the Nash news.

Doug McLean too. The only chance he had of getting another job in control of anything related to the NHL was that he might be able to deliver Nash.

Far-fetched of course, but the McLean resume is not strong.

Looks like the brains left Chicago when Dudley left. Tallon couldn't get a bunch of qualifying offers out in time.

Chris Versteeg anyone?

Wow. Someone gets fired for that one. How close are the Hawks to the cap?

10. gogliano says:

The Nash contract looks a little hefty to me. 7.8 million/a with a declining cap? Not much leverage I suppose. And he is only making 0.8 more than Horcoff!

11. Black Dog says:

So much for the BJs and Nash being far apart.

Another feather in Howson's cap.

How about Halpern as that centre? Someone (coachpb?) said no way the one time his name was brought up. He was pretty decent before his knee got shredded.

12. Black Dog says:

I guess this Minard guy is a proven AHL forward?

Looks like they are serious about improving the farm at least.

Daum probably had enough games as coach to figure out what AHL veterans the Oilers should go after.

14. robert cleave says:

Wow. Someone gets fired for that one. How close are the Hawks to the cap?

I qualified them all on capgeek, using the 110/105/100 percent rules as best I remembered them. 23 players (14F, 7D, 2G) left them just over 700 K under the cap, with about 4.8 million in bonus money. That said, Kris Versteeg isn't going to sign for 540K. I can't really see the league making them all UFA, though. This has "slap on the wrist" written all over it.

15. Marc says:

If they are now technically UFA's under the CBA then the NHLPA will to keep them that way. They'll make way more money and have the freedom to take the best offer available years before it would otherwise be the case. That's what a union is for. No way they let it slide if there is any way to make them UFA's.

Brouwer might look nice in Oiler silks…

16. rickibear says:

Mr. bettman my name is Paul Kelly. I like how you did not include us in certian aspects of decision because the cba has grey area.

This situatuion does not. Under the CBA they are all UFA. Have a nice day.

In a union the membership has an obligation to show no quarter. Remember owners are businessmen.

Owning a business requires you to commit 3 mortal sins.

17. uni says:

It's not just the qualifying offer slip that makes me wonder about Tallon. The Havlat situation didn't seem to be handled very well by them and left him bitter, he mentioned loyalty and respect on the way out but didn't elaborate much.

Here's a guy willing to actually play for LESS money just to stay and is still young. 5 million for 6 years is a steal, and if he ever stays healthy yikes.

If I had a choice right now, I think I'd lean towards taking Havlat at 5 for 6 years over Hossa at 5.23 for 12 years. I bet they could have probably gotten Havlat down to 4.6 for 7 or something stupid like that.

18. Black Dog says:

Wow that's a bit of a mess.

Tallon will lose his job over this, regardless of what happens, I would think.

19. Chris says:

Well I'd imagine that if they hold Chicago to the letter of the rule then that certainly opens up some options eh?

Chris: I don't think there's a choice. This is Carlton Fisk all over again. They can sign as many as they want (under the cap) but this is a complete disaster and someone gets taken out behind the woodshed for it.

21. PDO says:

Holy shit…

That's insane.

Versteeg, please ;)

22. Chris says:

If it was New Jersey they would find a way ;)

23. uni says:

Chris: if it was New Jersey it would never have happened.

24. PDO says:

Uni:

Except when they did the exact same thing to Rafalski and Madden?

25. bookie says:

8 players, a mistake with no ill intent. The league and the NHLPA are going to let this slide. Nobody wants to be the villain that destroyed the Blackhawks.

26. mc79hockey says:

I think that the Hawks are screwed. Tallon doesn't seem to be denying the story and his response – "Tallon says fax copies of the offers were sent to the league, so he doesn't anticipate any significant fall out" – doesn't provide a defence on my reading of the CBA. This fuckup may well cost them tens of millions of dollars.

Guys, I think this goes against the Hawks. And it did happen in NJ, I believe it was Madden who they needed to re-sign for mondo dollars.

28. Mr DeBakey says:

Its been a tough week to be an Oiler fsn
    That presser with Tanbellini wasn't very reassuring.

No UFAs – no Center, No grit, no scoring – "our roster is full"

He did, vey cryptically, hint that they're lookin for trade opportunities.
    Of coure, those buffoons asking the questions didn't care, or know enough, to ask about Boston & Philadelphis ant their Cap problems.

29. uni says:

Didn't know about Madden. I guess the point is taken, Lou is one shifty mofo.

30. Marc says:

I went through the CBA to figure out what might have gone wrong. As best I can make out (and this is a badly drafted document. The lawyers who did this should be shot.), if the Blackhawks did not send the qualifying offers by overnight delivery to the player's designated off season address, or last known address, by 5PM Eastern last Monday, then they lose the right of first refusal and to draft pick compensation if another team offers them a contract.

From what I can discern from TSN's article, the offer sheets were mailed instead of sent by overnight delivery. If that's the case then by my reading of the CBA, then these players can be signed by any team without having to surrender draft picks to Chicago.

31. Marc says:

I'm going to bed now as it's nearly 3AM in London. If people want to check it out themselves, the relevant bits of the CBA are Article 10.2(a)(ii) and Exhibit 3.

32. chartleys says:

That press con was great. It pretty much proved the point that Terry Jones is all over the hard questions. My god is he useless.

33. Coach pb9617 says:

I only said no way because of the $2 million number. I'd rather have Yelle at a million, or, if the Pequod can wait him out, Moore at that $2 million.

34. Mr DeBakey says:

"the hard questions."

What about the guy who asked,
    "Did you guys stay overnight in Kelowna?"

35. bookie says:

Its been a tough week to be an Oiler fsn
    That presser with Tanbellini wasn't very reassuring.

No UFAs – no Center, No grit, no scoring – "our roster is full"

Unless you want to see what some of these guys do with a different coach. I would be happy with an exchange of 1 top d-man for 1 top six forward, also the addition of one good 3rd line guy.

I think quite a few of the Oilers were playing at the low end of their skills last year and I have always thought that selling low was bad business.

36. jon k says:

Gentlemen, this is Gary Bettman's NHL(TM). No way a rejuvenated American franchise boasting young talent is going to see that talent go to the frozen north on the basis of a notice error.

There will be an inquiry with unadvertised results which maintain the status quo.

Nothing to see here.

37. mc79hockey says:

This isn't the NHL's choice. It's an NHLPA matter. They're pretty much obliged to force this through.

Is Phoenix close enough to California to satisfy Souray's desire to be close to his family, even though Phoenix is rebuilding?

Souray + Nilsson for Jovanovski + Lombardi.

39. R O says:

Souray + Nilsson for Jovanovski + Lombardi.

Would you make this trade if you were Phoenix? I woudn't. Nilsson has negative value to a cash-strapped team. So that's Souray for Jovanovski + Lombardi. Hugely unfavorable trade for Phoenix.

40. Smarmy Boss says:

lol Chicago. The Curse of Marian Hossa lives on!

As to all the people that want to Tambo to make their moves, when they want them for the dollars them want them made. For shame.

Tambo is right. Any UFA signings preclude trades. I'm sure Katz wants Heatley but I doubt it precludes Tambo from moving other contracts.

41. Art Vandelay says:

Owning a business requires you to commit 3 mortal sins.

OK, Trotsky.

//lol Chicago. The Curse of Marian Hossa lives on!//

Chicago doesn't need a new curse. The Muldoon curse, excepting 1961, has been working fine. This fiasco looks like the Muldoon curse reasserting itself.

Jovanoski? Possibly my least favorite NHL player.

//Jovanoski? Possibly my least favorite NHL player.//

We need a centre. Phoenix has a cash flow problem. Souray is much better than Jovanovski at this point. But Lombardi would solve our problem at centre.

And Jovanovski and Lombardi have the advantage of being unrestricted free agents at the end of this year. So it makes sense for the Oilers from a cap management perspective.

Souray + something for the Jovo and Lombardi does make sense if Phoenix is acceptable to Souray. Something doesn't have to be Nilsson…

45. shanetrain says:

Off topic. One of my favourite hockey players , one, if not the craftiest guy Ive seen play, Ryan Smyth is now an LA King. ala TSN

Ryan Smyth is a beauty player and the LA Kings are going to be a fun team to watch this winter.

47. Baroque says:

The Kings have been making some very smart moves in team-building this summer.

48. DBO says:

what was the deal? Sorry for ryan. Wish he was still an Oiler, he should have been our yzerman.

49. robert cleave says:

Adrian Dater says Quincey, Preissing and a 5th rounder.

Preissing (2.75M) and Quincey (.550M) for Smyth (6.25M).

Could Colorado be making a play for Heatley?

Is the Souray for Jack Johnson deal coming now?

53. robert cleave says:

Colorado must be up to something else. They have Hannan, Foote, Salei, Clark, Liles and Preissing all making 2.75 million or more on the back end. They should keep Quincey, of course, he was very good last year for the money he made.

54. PDO says:

Colorado is in full rebuild mode now.

Good deal for them.

Could Frolov be available?

55. gogliano says:

Adrian Dater saying they want to trim payroll so might not be Heatley related.

56. Coach pb9617 says:

I don't think it's Colorado that's up to something else – I think it's LA – there's a logjam in the top six all of a sudden.

57. PDO says:

Souray + Moreau for Johnson + Frolov?

58. Coach pb9617 says:

PDO – that trade doesn't have Heatley in it, so I don't think the Pequod's sextant can find it.

59. robert cleave says:

They might not be going for a Heatley-type move, Coach, but there's not much chance they keep that many high-priced D. One of those six is on the way out.

60. PDO says:

Honestly, I don't think I do that deal (I'm anything but a Johnson fan), but it does match up with the tealeaves a bit…

Preissing (2.75M) and Quincey (.550M) for Smyth (6.25M).

Could Colorado be making a play for Heatley?

That is possible.

Its more likely that they found a chance to offload that contract and took it.

I like Ryan Smyth a lot, but he has a pretty big contract, and the Avs do not have thier eyes on the prize any time soon.

62. Coach pb9617 says:

Oh, I've been on the Sell high team for a while. For a while.

63. PDO says:

Uhh…

Is ANYONE else watching the Rider/BC game?

I'm sure if LT's wife hasn't jumped behind the couch yet she's got it on, but this is one of the most ridiculous football games I've ever seen.

13 turnovers…

64. doritogrande says:

I think LT put it best the day of the Smyth trade, that "He's now entered the journeyman stage of his career". How often do you think a 6M-dollar man can change teams? Could we be looking at the newest branch of the Mike Sillinger/Andrew Cassels tree?

On the Chicago fiasco, I think the player out of all that I'd want on Edmonton is Ben Eager. Definitely addresses the toughness factor better than any of the players listed. I don't see a pressing need for Versteeg or Barker on this team.

She's watching. LOVES the new running back, thinks the qb has turned the corner and is pissed at the "filthy" BC Lions.

Another season with a Roughrider fan. Lordy.

66. PDO says:

LT:

You sure your wife isn't my girlfriend?

Only difference is the Lions aren't filthy, the refs are just terrible.

67. DBO says:

You might not see a pressing need for Versteeg or barker but they are quality young players who would cost us nothing but money. Barker is a top 4 dman with offense and some toughness, and versteeg is basically Gagner with a little less upside. Toronto will scoop them up, since everyone wants to play fo rthe Leafs. oh wait, when was the last time anyone signed a big UFA deal in a canadian city other then Vancouver? It'snot that no one wants to come to Edmonton, no one wants to come to canada other then Vancouver.

68. PDO says:

DBO:

You have a point, but what about extensions?

Sundin, Kovalev, Smyth, Horcoff, Hemsky, Gilbert, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Bertuzzi, Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson, Koivu off the otp of my head as guys who have given up UFA years to play in Canada…

69. dstaples says:

Barker is a helluva player. . . .Good to great offensive talent from what I saw of him in the playoffs. . . . I almost feel bad for the Hawks and their fans . . . Finally things had been turning around for that franchise and now this …

70. dstaples says:

The Kings give up on quality player for Ryan Smyth. Of course, Smyth is five years older than Heatley.

71. DBO says:

As for what is Colorado up to? They will only have 7 players signed going into next year, and for less then $15 million. I've mentioned it a few times, but there will be a few teams with tons of cap space next year who can scoop up decent players from teams who are in cap trouble. Assuming Chicago doesn't lose those rfa's, next year they have to deal a few players for basically no return. So will Philly, San Jose, Detroit (if they don't unload this year), Washington (who will have to resign backstrom and Semin). There will be some teams like Colorado who will poach great players for nothing, and not to mention UFA's will be screwed, and Colorado will be one of the only places that can actually give out decent contracts. Lacroix is smart. they will suck this year, deal Hejduk, Svatos, Foote, Clark, ande Salei near the deadline. Finish bottom 3 again, and go into 2010/11 with a chance to turn it around in 1 year. i am somewhat jealous.

72. DBO says:

PDO: i don't count guys resigning, since most players have a loyalty and affinity for their home team. name a UFA who has never played in that city who signed in canada (excluding vancouver and this eyar Calgary with Bowmeester) and who wasn't either A)overpaid, or B)was a marginal "star" like Blake in TO.

73. dstaples says:

Well, I can see that the Colorado rebuild might just have been speeded up. How about Barker and Versteeg to the Avs?

74. DBO says:

And dreger confirmed it was Smyth for Preissing, Quincey and a 5th.

75. PDO says:

I'll never understand why any team in the CFL ever rushes 3. Ever.

76. DBO says:

dstaples: sign versteeg, eager, tanguay and Sakic and you have a decent team, good balance and tons of cap space next year. you can only sign barker if they move a vet salary since these moves would put them only $1.6 mill below the cap.

So if Liles is not in the deal do we do the Souray for JJ and Simmonds to clear cap space if we get heatley?

77. Smarmy Boss says:

You're probably right. I remember talking hockey with my father-in-law and asking him why a franchise that has Hull, Makita, Pilote, Hall, and Wharam doesn't win a bunch of cups and he didn't really have a good answer.

78. Fake Craig McTavish says:

The Kings are now in "win now" mode while the Oilers are in "wouldn't that be nice someday" mode.

79. trav77 says:

so does anyone else think that colorado moved a 6.5 lw to maybe make a package for heatley

80. Masamax says:

A small note on the Chicago situation…

From what I understand, Chicago believes they filed the correct paperwork, yet I am not sure that I am entirely convinved. What we appear to know:

1) They mailed (by regular mail?) the QOs to the respective RFAs

2) They faxed copies of said QOs to the NHL

Based upon this, the NHLPA has a real case if they chose to make it that the QOs were not sent correctly. Filing the QOs with the NHL does not equate to sending them to the players as laid out in the CBA, and in fact is not even mentioned as a valid way of filing said QOs with the players. Regardless of whether the NHL recieved the offer on time, or even whether the players recieved them on time (which appears to not be the case at this point), if the appropriate method of delivery was not used (and that method is laid out quite clearly in the CBA) then the QO is theoretically not valid. I find it interesting that Chicago keeps using the "the league got it!" as their current story on this matter. As an employee, if my contract renewal was up, but had a clause for automatic renewal if I recieve a notice by a certain date, I wouldn't be terribly impressed if they sent that notice to their company HQ and expected that to be good enough if I had a chance for another, higher paying job. At this point, that seems to be the story, and if I was the NHLPA, I'd push for this whether the players in question wanted it not.

trav: Yeah, it's certainly possible.

Masamax: It'll be checked out for certain, and if the Hawks followed the rules it's all good. You'd hate to see a team lose that much talent in one day, unless it was Toronto. :-)

82. Jon says:

Here is the story I have heard so far.

Chicago offered khabibulin a 2 year 4 mill contract. If he accepted then chicago would trade Huet to Colorado for Smyth.

This leads me to believe the avs are after a high priced tender like: Giggy or vokoun, not heatley…but who knows

83. bookie says:

First, I am betting on some kind of trade involving 4 teams that the Oilers are involved in and that moves Heatley.

Second, I love Jack Johnson. How can you watch this and not want the guy on the Oilers . The kids would love him.

Third, Wouldn't it be fun if the Oilers made a 3 way trade between Edmonton-Ottaw-LA which involves Heatley coming to Edmonton and then moving onto LA in a follow up trade and then in the middle of the two trades, the Oilers call time out on the LA trade saying "Its not that we are not trading you to LA, but its just that we are still in the process of deciding if we want to send you to LA" and leave it at that for a couple of seasons!

84. bookie says:

As per the Chicago situation, its in the Hands of the NHLPA and it looks as though Chicago may indeed be in the 'legal' wrong here, BUT in the real world there are politics and there are reputations.

If this was seen as severely detrimental to Chicago and the public knows that the power to say "no harm, no foul" is in the NHLPA hands, then they might face a bit of a public relations problem if they go after Chicago with a strict interpretation of things.

Even in court, the exact letter of a contract is often not upheld when there was no real harm done and when there was an inadvertent mistake.

85. Coach pb9617 says:

Could be, although with what we've heard about Johnson I'm not sure this is going to be a fun ride..

LT – aren't you convinced that the Oilers can rescue defensemen?

86. Chris says:

Hmm interesting its not really that the Blackhawks didn't provide notice, but they didn't provide notice as stipulated under the CBA. For the multitude of lawyers who populate LT's domain we'd call it a "service issue". I'm still leaning towards Bettman saying it was "good and sufficient" notice to the players that the offers were mailed to them. Simply because the league bends over backwards for the American markets. Additionally the league is going to look for ways not to be seen to cut the Hawks off at the knees when they're having a hockey revival in Chicago.

87. oil dude says:

Colorado after Heatley? I doubt it, they just gave away there biggest contract so they can chase bigger and longer contract? Plus everybody knows now (Thanks JP Barrie) that the price for Heatley is set at 3 quality assets aged 26 and younger. Can the Avs honestly put together a similar package to what the Oilers have tabled? And if they can then they are setting back there rebuild even more. I think this is salary dump that actually makes Heatley to the Oil even more likely as LA has a LW now (and need a Dman).

//I'm still leaning towards Bettman saying it was "good and sufficient" notice to the players that the offers were mailed to them. //

Chicago will be probably lucky. Most of the guys will probably want to stay in Chicago.

But Tallon better be busy getting deals signed starting tomorrow. Make as much of the screwup moot before it gets to arbitration.

89. jon k says:

MC: I guess we'll see then. I think in this case entitlement to legal recourse will yield to Bettman's influence.

90. Coach pb9617 says:

I'm pretty sure that a person could build a playoff team out of the remaining UFAs.

91. PDO says:

Coach:

That might be pushing it a bit, but don't tell that to Bob Gainey ;)

92. Coach pb9617 says:

Beauchemin
    Foster

G
    Biron
    Legace

93. RiversQ says:

Coach: You should save this list and see if it fits under the cap.

Hawks may not lose the players based on a quick trip around the internet.

95. DanMan says:

I think there's a good chance they'll lose at least Vertseeg. They're really up against the cap. The Dave Bolland contract will prove to be a huge mistake.

96. Alice says:

/I doubt that it matters what Gary Bettman thinks. It probably matters what an arbitrator thinks when the NHLPA grieves it./

True, but what Really matters is what happens after that. Anything coming of this depends on a buyer. So Agent comes to you and says "Tallon used the wrong carrier. How'd you like to join up with me and the NHLPA and use the CBA to put the boots to him?"

As much as the GMs are in competition w one another, it's a pretty small club and they're not going to assist the union to screw one of their own to the wall over this. What goes around comes around. It's a non-starter, whatever the legalities or dry readings make of it.

97. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: You should save this list and see if it fits under the cap.

I could save some cap dollars with Yelle or Betts in the middle on the bottom if it happens.

98. Doogie2K says:

Ah, but it clears out salary space for Moby Dick.

The Montreal Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs are why. From 1956 to 1969, those two teams won every Stanley Cup but Chicago's, then in 1971 and 1973, the Hawks made the Finals, but lost to Montreal.