We’re Not the Jet Set

This is Glen Sather. If you’re an Oiler fan, this is a day to turn back the clock and cheer like hell for “Slats.” Dany Heatley’s delay on giving the go-ahead on a trade that sees Edmonton loading up on a 1line L gives Sather and the Rangers a window of opportunity.

As I understand it, Heatley would prefer to play in New York City. I think it’s a good move for Heatley, he belongs with the Rangers and hopefully will join a long list of men who have carved out careers elsewhere before playing on Broadway.

In my lifetime, Bernie Geoffrion, Tim Horton, Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge, Derek Sanderson, Barry Beck, Marcel Dionne, Pierre Larouche, John Ogrodnick, Mark Messier, Luc Robitaille, Kevin Lowe, Glenn Anderson, Esa Tikkanen, Glenn Anderson, Wayne Gretzky and a myriad of others have made their reputations elsewhere and arrived in New York as famous men.

This is a better stage for Heatley, and it’s certainly in keeping with Sather’s team building methods since arriving in New York. Buy high, sell low. Pay now, pay later. It looks for all the world like today will be a bidding war between the Oilers and the Rangers, with Cogliano, Penner and Smid (PLUS) representing the Oilers side and a plethora of young talent (well, the few young players who haven’t been sent away) from the Rangers side.

Late last night on the epic thread below, poster and friend PDO dropped a bomb courtesy Daren Millard:

• Heatley didn’t kill it. the oilers are on the list and he confirmed it with his agent.
  • Still has to approve it etc- rangers have entered the fray. package is getting better.
  • Callahan, Dubinsky and del zotto and are improving it.
  • Senators still want mark staal.
  • Rangers are top priority- oilers are still fully in this thing and they will improve the package to keep with the rangers.
  • Sens are still talking with both teams and will squeeze both teams.
  • Penner and cogliano have been informed they were traded
  • Millard believes this is the rangers deal to lose.
  • Millard believes the sens want staal or nothing.
  • Oilers-Sens deal is still on the table.
  • It’s Tambellini vs Glen Sather tomorrow.

My thanks to PDO for posting it and apologies to Mr. Millard if anything is untrue or misrepresented. We need to cheer like hell for Glen Sather today. The Rangers should win this battle, it’s what they do. The Oilers can return to building a team brick by brick.

The draft, intelligent free agent additions, smart trades. Measured and reasonable. Please.

457 Responses to "We’re Not the Jet Set"

Newer Comments »
  1. Bohologo says:

Slats could really help the Oilers. Once more for old time's sake?

2. speeds says:

The timing today is prety interesting, I'm curious to see how EDM handles it.

Although how much we'll hear about it is probably up for debate.

If I were Tambellini I would tell OTT than my offer is off the table if the deal isn't done by 9:30-10 am. At that point I would check the market and see what is available while informing Murray that you may or may not come back to him, depending on what you can get done in the UFA market.

But IF you do it's no guarantee you'll be offering the same package. So make of that what you will, OTT.

speeds: I think the control is in Heatley's hands. The Oilers could probably withdraw the offer but failing that it's likely wait and see. I don't know how much control the Sens have over Heatley at this point.

I read your analysis, interesting take. Do you think Heatley is worth the money? I mean, taking the return out of the equation, do you think 7.5M is a good price for what he brings?

I remain concerned about how few "complete" players are on this roster, some of them making large coin.

4. Scarlett says:

I'd like to see the Oilers try one more time, but after free agency starts, offer is off the table. Heatley is worth another go. How often do get a chance to get a bonafide superstar? And he scores goals. Something that has been missing in Edmonton for a long time!

5. PDO says:

Thanks LT – pretty sure it's all correct.

Don't forget:

"Sounds like the Sens camp probably leaked it to get the Rangers to boost their offer. Millard says Heatley likely hasn't even been asked to make a decision yet."

Which could honestly raise all kinds of interesting issues in regards to what exactly Ottawa is doing here. I don't know the exact rules, but you'd have to think the Oilers could certainly start looking for some start of reparations here if that's true, no?

6. PDO says:

For the record, I pulled that all together from a handful of posters at another board I frequent, I only heard bits and pieces; so I apologize if anything on there is incorrect.

7. quain says:

LT: I understand your concern about not having enough complete players, but we'd be shipping out $5.5M (before Smid or Cogs re-up) of incomplete players. Neither Cogs or Penner are close to trustworthy on defense. And Smid has been fairly mediocre, at best.

But, like MacTavish used to say, it's all about creating more than you give up. Heatley might get hammered on defense, but he's the guy that can cover that bet on sheer offense.

(For the record, I'm fairly ambivalent on the trade. I think it'd be fun to have the Triple H line, but I also like Cogliano/Smid. Either way it falls I'll be happy and sad.)

8. speeds says:

I think he's unlikely to be worth the money, but I also don't think he's a 2 mil player making 7.5 mil.

He's probably worth the money if the production from the last 4 years is what EDM can expect for the next 5. The uncertainty in projecting that type of production for a 29-34 year old Heatley (with all that goes along with him at this point) means that I wouldn't make that deal as is, but I don't think it's awful as constructed.

9. GregO says:

I need a lesson in contract law 101. It appears we have an offer. It appears we have an acceptance? The acceptance is contingent on Heatley waiving the NTC. Do the Oiler's even have the right to walk away now? Surely they put a time limit on the Heatley waiving part?

They can't be handcuffed through the day can they? On the other hand, maybe that is the best thing!

10. quain says:

I wouldn't make that deal as is, but I don't think it's awful as constructed.

I think the real disappointment with the deal is that there wasn't a Nilsson throw-in. I'm sure that's a pretty easy subsequent move (Nilsson for pucks), but Penner, Cogliano, Smid, and Nilsson for Heatley straight across makes it smell better. $6.25M in not-over-performing salary for $7.5M is pretty easy to swallow, even if Cogliano is the sweetener.

11. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Am I a bit paranoid to think that it is becoming a trend to use Edmonton as a ploy for a higher bidder… just a bias and some bad luck or perhaps the downfall of the summer of Vanek/Penner?

Either way, oil management should be pissed at someone on the other side right now… I'm crossing my fingers that Katz takes the hint and becomes more of a spectator going forward.

The real disappointment is that the Oilers are dealing some of the pieces that were worth keeping. The only way the suffering 2006-09 was worth it is if you come out of that era with Gagner, Cogliano, etc as part of the group.

The Oilers keep moving the cluster around without ever really hitting the sweet spot. It's galling.

till horcoff is coach: I think it's fine. The Oilers maybe got a bad break and might have to mend some fences but this is a business and it's Tambellini's job to make this team better.

14. Bar Qu says:

Especially considering how tight-lipped Tambellini has been, if this is true, I suspect he is furious right now. IF Ottawa did this for leverage, we might hear something from him in a less than polite vein about how all this went down.

15. HBomb says:

If Ottawa's trying to drive the price up and the Heatley camp is trying to drive a deal with the Rangers instead of the Oilers, Tambellini would be well advised to GTFO of the picture.

I think the best term for this situation is from "No Country for Old Men" – quite the goat-fuck we've got going on here.

16. Jfry says:

i don't think quinn wants to lose. i think quinn wants veterans. we've been a glorified AHL team with one good run in the last 8 years. so, frankly, i'd like to win as well. i'm tired of taking it from all my flames fan friends.

there's things i'd rather have than heatley, but knowing that we have 1st line scorer covered for 7 years is something i haven't been able to say as a mature oilers fan. as we've seen with the RFA cuts, there's plenty of 500 game men to fill out rosters on the cheap and maybe we take a more sutterian approach to team building, which i wouldn't mind — try and field a winner every year and be creative with all your parts and show no long term commitment to anyone who isn't in your top 6 players.

your comment yesterday that we should leave peckham in the minors if this happens is bang on.

i'd rather gagne for two years, but at least we're trying to change a few things and it's obvious that tambo is intent on changing the culture of the room and on the ice.

anything so i don't have to cheer for a loser anymore.

i think it's okay to give tambo some room on the leash before we freak.

17. oilerdago says:

LT: As much as I'd love a scorer I think you nailed it regarding the run of years (06-09) and the value being that you build a team around good youth.

Trading Cogs to me is a huge mistake and while I hope Sather kills it, I'm guardedly confident that if he doesn't, Heatley will.

What's interesting in all this is that the guy told Garrioch a week ago he did not want to come to Edmonton. Murray pulls the trigger out of spite (almost daring him to kill the trade) and Tambs go's ahead with it.

The other thing I hate in this trade is losing another young, talented d-man who we've seen grow and I'm seeing few people mention this. Matt Greene came into his own last year in LA and I could see the same for Smid in OTT this year.

My confidence in Oilers management having a vision of how to build a team is sinking.

18. quain says:

I don't see much Ottawa culpability here. The deal sounded like it was handshaked and then taken to Heatley. Unless Heatley has so much Ottawa spirit that he's gunning for a bigger trade package for them, it sounds like Heatley's just an idiot.

19. Jfry says:

i hope not. i hope we're on a completely different path where our GM isn't a public whining/fighting clown in public. hopefully he takes it like a man, doesn't close doors and moves on because that's how the game works. if tambo has one of those long press conferences where he breaks down how the rangers frac'd him over…well…

that'll be sad in so many ways and deflate my balloon in a big way.

20. Mark-Ryan says:

Sorry, I'm not with you here.

Dustin Penner and Smid going back the other way for a 28 year old 50 goal scorer? Only 2.5 picked up long term, dropping 3 bodies? Gilbert and Grebeshkov both still Oilers?

Screw brick by brick, there's no way in my estimation this doesn't make sense for the Edmonton Oilers.

You propose to your girlfriend. Your girlfriend asks you to wait a moment, and calls up another guy and asks if he will propose to her. And some of you guys would still want to marry the girl?

Nuts. Man.

If the Heatley thing isn't off, I think my hockey addiction is over.

22. Jfry says:

in conversation with one NHL coach who was at the WC this spring, he implied that it was a given that the jagr to Edmonton was happening and that all that people in the know, knew. i'm not a person in the know so he could have been placating the "fan" more than stating fact…

but a heater, jagr addition changes this team. my real question is, if we do aquire a huge contract (heatley or the like), is there room for a jagr contract?

have a good canada day gentlemen. i'm in Montreal and off to the jazz fest. go oil!

23. Art Vandelay says:

Slats played for about 17 teams. In the name of Dit Clapper, use a photo that doesn't show that douchebag in a Bruins uni. It makes me sad. Thank you.

Art: I know, but those Bruins uniforms are wonderful.

25. tcho says:

I find this humiliating. Am I over reacting? Events of the past two weeks just seem to sum up the essence of the two organizations.

Calgary: subtle, effective, adding more greatness w/o giving up.

Edmonton: desperate, flailing (& failing), giving up too much to get…

Ouch.

26. RiversQ says:

I get more intrigued by the Oilers featuring Dany Heatley by the hour.

I'm thinking of it as an experiment and it's very interesting. Truth be told, we haven't seen a player like this up close since the 1980's. His results are driven by efficiency moreso than most elite players we're familiar with. Not just in Edmonton but even in the WC, I would say. Given their pricetags, those types have never been under consideration, so I wonder what it would look like.

Of course, I'm a scientist and it ain't my money.

tcho: Meh. Sutter made a terrific move and credit where due. The Flames made a massive improvement and improved the center of their cluster.

Having said that, they have several players long in the tooth and cap issues.

The Oilers before the Heatley deal were developing talents (Gagner, Cogliano, others) and moving forward with a young roster that would eventually contend.

Two different points on the curve.

The deal was done in good faith by the Edmonton Oilers, to the point where they informed the players about it. How often does this happen? Probably very rare.

I understand this morning that the Oilers actually talked to Heatley before it didn't go down, so one has to assume they felt it was all good.

These things happen in life, best to keep events like this one outside the realm of "taking it personally." It's not a reflection of you or your town, despite what some people might think.

The sun is still shining, women are still beautiful and beer is readily available. It's all good. :-)

28. HBomb says:

Lowetide: two things.

1) Beer may be readily available, but Bud Light lime is not, and given that your first name starts with a vowel, you're SOL even if someone gets their hands on a case (if we're going by the advice in the commercials).

2) It's odd – Phaneuf for Heatley makes more sense for the Flames than the three-for-one makes for the Oilers. Theoretically, such a move could put Calgary over the top.

29. HBomb says:

NOTE: Calgary definition of "over the top": winning a playoff round.

30. tcho says:

Thanks for the reality check, LT.

The problem with the Oilers is that they got lucky the first time they played video poker. They went out and got Pronger and Peca, and went to the finals. With money, the Oilers/Lowe/Katz believed that you can buy success.

The success of the 2006 Oilers was built on all the painful team building prior to the draft when Lowe had no money. They learnt the wrong lesson.

32. Black Dog says:

Off to the waterfront to enjoy the festivities here in Charlottetown..

Don't like Cogliano as part of the deal but if it were up to me the Oilers would never give up anyone under 25.

Just call me Stand Pat II. :)

Although if there is any truth to Heatley hedging then the Oilers better pull out if they can.

33. RiversQ says:

tcho: One other thing to add to LT's perspective. I think there are very good arguments out there that they would not be overpaying here.

34. RiversQ says:

One other thing: I am still completely confused as to what has happened here.

There are many conflicting statements and a bunch of blog posts out right now that were written based on information that has changed several times.

I really have no idea what is going on or what actually happened other than the Oilers think they have a deal and the players have been told.

35. Ducey says:

This is strike three or four for Mr Heatley.

1) He demanded a trade from Atlanta
    2) He demanded a trade from Ottawa (publically)
    3)He has now waffled about a trade to Edmonton.

Throw in the fact that he wanted the trade because his coach was asking to work harder, and I don't really see how this guy is going to help what is ailing the Oil.

I'd rather take my chances with Penner, Cogs, and Smid. In two years I expect at least 2 of those guys will be starting to excel.

36. Mark-Ryan says:

I don't see how anyone could blame him for Atlanta. He didn't demand a trade, he quietly asked the GM for a change of scenery for a very good reason.

The Ottawa and Edmonton stuff is shady as all hell, though.

37. pboy says:

I really hope that Tambo has talked to B Murray this morning and has let him know that the Oiler offer is off of the table. Let's build a balanced roster this season and try to keep a little cap room for next season when the cap is certain to drop. Let Heatley go to the Rangers and concentrate on solidifying the goaltending situation and acquiring a 3rd line center who can win faceoffs, kill penalties and give Horcoff a rest.

As far as Cogliano being involved, I really don't like it but I understand it. One of O'Sullivan or Cogliano need to play wing on the second line and the other would be a 4th liner. If Cogliano really doesn't want to play wing, we have all seen that he can't play center, what else can you do with him?

38. DBO says:

OK. If this is true and the Sens want more, then run away, run away, run away. Let him walk. Sign hossa (who turned down the Det deal last night) for $6.0 mill per year for 8 years, sign Betts for 2 years $1 mill per, sign Anderson for 2 years for $2 mill per, and trade a defenseman and Nilsson for a banging winger with goal scoring.

39. Matt says:

Fear not, Oiler fans. All the best marriages feature a twice-divorced groom who would prefer be with someone else and is having cold feet the night before the ceremony. It's science!

40. DBO says:

And not that this would happen, but would the Oil shift the deal with Ottawa for Spezza? If Ottawa gets those three young players from NYR, then would they change the deal to be Penner, Smid and a prospect for Spezza? Ottawa gets depth, and cap relief and we get a 40 goal centre? Not saying i want him, just asking.

41. DBO says:

Millard on tape delay form last night mentioned that Heatley did not kill the deal. Ottawa playing both sides (which you posted LT), but what was just interesting was that he mentioned that if the Oilers got Heatley, then they would then make a deal with the NYR? Probably the Cogs for Dubinsky. if you coud get Dubinsky and Callahan for Penner and Cogs I would take that deal.

42. pboy says:

I think the Oil just need to walk away from Ottawa at this point. Edmonton will still have a little stink on them but Ottawa and Heatley look like the real putzes here. Let them figure out a way to extricated themselves from this quagmire they are in and let the Oilers move onto Plan B.

43. pboy says:

Even if Heatley does decides to waive his NMC and come to Edmonton, he hasn't made any fans here over the last 2 days. Heatley will be a Ranger by tonight.

44. DBO says:

At this point wouldn't Oil fans boo heatley if he was here? We're already sensitive about it, but now we look like the ugly chick no one wants, again. (see Spector's column on Sportsnet. Ouch man). Tell ottawa to go screw and make some signings to address our immediate needs and look to poach next year when guys will have no choice but to come here in deals. Guess we target guys who don't have no trade clauses

DBO: I don't think so. This could easily be explained away by the agent ("Dany talked to the Oilers and let them know he was interested but asked for a little more time. The 4M issue was worked out with the league and Ottawa and the Oilers are thrilled to welcome Dany Heatley!")

This is nothing. :-)

46. DBO says:

LT: yeah you're right. I was behind the deal last night, but now I have changed my mind. The issue becomes the 3 players named going to Ottawa. I know they can be "sold" the reasons for the deal: "you are so good we tried to get heatley for you" etc., but I would have to guess that Penner is pissed. At this point he's like a kicked dog. he got a new master, thought it was going to be better, then they kick him out the door and tell him they don't want him. Then, once he accepts leaving, you grab him and make him stay. Ouch. Does this raise Penner's stock since a team actually wanted him?

47. speeds says:

I don't really understand the inclusion of Smid for that reason. Keep him, include Staios. If OTT doesn't want the deal, that's OK too.

48. DBO says:

Sedins sign a 5 year $6.1 million per deal. As er TSN

speeds: Exactly. There's just too much future heading out of town in one deal. At least make it even in terms of cap space.

50. Temujin says:

Does the Sedin re-signing make Tambo press the panic button and do whatever he needs to get Heatley?

Here's hoping :-)

51. bookie says:

At this point wouldn't Oil fans boo heatley if he was here?

Those that just see the headline in the Sun will totally forgive him if he becomes an Oiler today. They will all be talking about how he is a 50 goal scorer and how he could pot 70 with Hemmer. Then in 2 years he will become the next whipping boy because he only gets 38 goals in one season, he will get booed and then he will public ally demand a trade. Then we will trade him to Toronto for three beers and an ice cream

52. uni says:

Boumeester in Calgary while awesome for them (good on Sutter) is bad for the Oilers.

This Heatley trade if it goes off would just be worse. If this goes through the Leafs would be much better run than the Oilers IMO…and I don't know what to think of that.

53. bookie says:

Anyone missing Roloson? He does not seem to be an Oiler yet this morning, which suggests that he will either end up elsewhere or learn that he is not very valuable and sign here for less.

bookie: Looks like he's going to test free agency according to the EJ. I've been reading a little on it and it seems he might be headed for the Avs, with Biron also in the mix.

55. Deano says:

godot10 said:

I think this is being melodramatic. Heatley is not our girlfriend. We are not in love. We are the fat hooker, looking for his patronage. We already know that he is a flake – we are not getting married.

Fat hookers better grow thick skins and keep pitching their positives.

Edmonton can not offer anonymity or privacy to these guys and their families. That is gonna work against us until something changes. We have to get over it.

Will staying in this with the Rags help or hurt our ability to bring in more talent?

Taking our ball and going home seems bush-league and amateur-hour and more than a little Lowe-esque.

56. Ribs says:

Drama. I was pretty excited about July 1st coming this year. I think that excitement has morphed into nervous impatientness overnight. I just want this Heatley garbage to be over. Quickly.

There is work to be done elsewhere and I can't help imagining the hive mind of the Oilers sitting in a small room together waiting for the water to boil while The Calgary Panthers gather more horses, The Canucks re-sign their top players, The Avalanche draft a very good player at #3, and Minnesota takes some considerable steps.

How does news of a trade come out without Heatley agreeing to it? I know it's the question of the hour, but if I were the Oilers, I'd be pretty mad right now. It would take me about two seconds to rescind the offer and/or change it considerably.

Is it 10am yet? That's when things start, right?

Happy Mother-lovin' Canada, folks.

57. Ribs says:

Canada Day, that is.

58. speeds says:

The problem with losing Smid is how do you get as good a defenceman as the projected improving Smid for the next 3 or 4 years at his projected cap hit? I guess things are different if you don't think Smid much good now, and don't think he'll get much better either.

Maybe you can get that guy via the UFA market, but it's not a given.

It would seem easier to keep Smid, include Staios, and find a Staios replacement (even if he's not as good) on the UFA market for 1.5-2 mil, save the cap room to use on a another vet C.

If you can move Cogliano, Penner, Staios, 2nd for Heatley, I think it leaves you in a better position going forward. If Smid keeps developing you can move a higher paid D for cap room, if he doesn't he's still cheaper than Staios playing on the 3rd pair.

OTOH, if they know they can easily move Staios in other deals, maybe that changes things, I don't know. So many variables.

59. boopronger says:

geez this is terrible for the oilers. I cant believe people think its a good thing that heatley might say no to this deal. Major damage control is gonna have to happen on the Oilers part. Now you got 3 players who think they are not wanted. How can you still keep these players on the team?

60. uni says:

The same way Sakic decided to sign a nice offer sheet and got a match by the Avalanche. His team mates still played with him and in the end no one cared and moved on.

boopronger: You just go on with business. If they request a deal, then maybe move them for value. But these are young men miles from free agency and unless they want to play in Europe/sit out the options are limited.

62. goldenchild says:

Tambo should of pulled the offer and moved on, seriously this isnotthe dog to chase anymore. Find an NHL goalie, 3rd line C kick the tires with Hossa, Gaborik and call Philly about Gagne.

63. Showerhead says:

Well daaamn. I go away from the internet for a couple of weeks and this is what I come back to. My hotel coffee is made, my wireless is connected, and a Canada Day parade will pass by my balcony in approximately half an hour. It's a great day to watch everyone but Edmonton sign somebody useful!

Heatley. Too bad Cogliano would be going the other way. On one hand, roster balance of little guys kind of makes it ok but on the other I think Edmonton could stand to benefit from the optics of drafting a few kids, signing them into their second and third contracts, and filling the newspapers with all sorts of blushworthy hyperbole.

Rebuilding vs. going for it: I wonder if there is a third option we haven't talked about yet. Everyone in the org seems to be trumpeting the Detroit model and in fact with the staff decisions they've made, there has been some emulation thus far. Perhaps this is Tambellini's best effort to thrust Edmonton into a position where our young kids and prospects can, in fact, be sheltered and developed at a slower rate? Could this be a GOOD move for Gagner, MPS, etc's sake, one that allows them to play secondary roles, stay in Sweden, or whatever it takes to develop along a more measured path?

Or am I just reading a little too deeply.

Oh, and finally. The deadline regarding Heatley's bonus… Freaking bush league by the NHL – if they had a ruling on this one way or the other, then why wait until the 11th hour to make it? Why let all of your media sources consistently mis-report? My answer is that Ottawa saw the buzzer coming and pushed for the "loophole", thereby allowing a full day to play NYR and EDM off of each other with a publicly made offer to trumpet to Slats.

PS: Happy Canada Day! I love this country and I hope you have had good times here too.

64. Krankor says:

Tambo should of pulled the offer and moved on

He may have already done that. We don't really know at this point, but something's gotta give before 12 EST, I'd think.

btw, Happy Canada Day everyone.

66. Psyche says:

It wouldn't be smart business to hold on to this deal through noon eastern time. Tambo needs to get out of the Heatley handcuffs and get to work on addressing needs.

Get on the phone to that goalie, defensive d-man and face-off specialist.

67. bookie says:

I just wrote a long post that got burned up when blogger failed (F#$%). THe gist of it was this. As a city to play NHL hockey in, Edmonton does not suck any worse than lots of places (Ottawa, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Calgary) and some players who actually like 'NHL' cities may prefer an Edmonton over places like pheonix, LA, Florida, etc…

A part of the problem is that our team has two decades of failure. to most of the world, the Oilers look like the Coyotes. MacT's rep as a coach did not help and some of Lowe's cheap shots at players (Comrie for eg) really hurt.

We need 2-3 winning years w/playoff runs to erase this perception. So, there is a good reason to 'go for it now'. The Oil brass know this and its why they are taking the approach they are taking.

68. Smarmy Boss says:

Why are the Oilers still in the Heatley hunt? Do they have that big an inferiority complex?

This deal should have been off the table last night.

Is there a hockey player out there that is top flight and will come to Edmonton for market value?

If not, just have a press conference ripping selfish, whiny hockey players and completely rebuild through the draft.

69. Showerhead says:

In perhaps less thrilling news, Federer now through to his 21st consecutive Grand Slam semifinal.

70. Smarmy Boss says:

Oh and if they offer Gagner instead of Cogliano to "sweeten" this disaster of a deal. I'm turning in my 25 year Oiler fan card.

I'll just collect hockey cards and watch junior hockey.

71. Showerhead says:

SB: I will throw my laptop off this second floor balcony if Samwise becomes a Senator.

72. Deano says:

bookie said:

The evidence is to the contrary. You are not paying attention. Because its fine for you does not mean its fine for JBo, Heatley, Hossa, Nylander, Pronger and it appears Roloson.

You will die on the hill that Edmonton is not any less attractive a destination. Get over it.

73. Showerhead says:

Sportsnet ticker says Hossa turned down a 10 year deal with Detroit. Has anyone else heard about this? I mean I'm sure the guy is torn up by his consecutive bridesmaiding but how many of those 10 years do you think Detroit will have a chance at the Cup?

74. bookie says:

Deano – did you read? My argument was that our team was more the problem than the City. Do you seriously think that loads of NHLers can think of nowhere better to live than Detroit?

Lets face it there are three main variables for a player – the city, the team, and the cash. I admit that Edmonton as a city is not stellar. I have spent much of my life traveling and living elsewhere. I study urban redevelopment for a living and I 'get' that there are problems with this city. My point is that it is probably no worse than at least 1/3 of other cities as a place to play.

With that said, we have to look at the reputation of the team and I am suggesting that our glory visions of the Oilers and what that crest means on someone's chest are false – I think most players thinks it means gongshow. That rep needs to change.

75. Ribs says:

Still nothing on a Grebeshkov contract?

76. Smarmy Boss says:

Ironic thing is. Nobody wants to come to Edmonton but its one of the few NHL cities that is profitable and is an absolute factory for producing and developing the NHL player of the future.

Playing in Phoenix might be cool, but those cities are not the ones that let you make all that money.

77. Coach pb9617 says:

Still nothing on a Grebeshkov contract?

I really think they're waiting on an offer sheet.

78. DBO says:

Sounds more and more that it wasn't heatley, it was Bryan Murray who pulled this deal in order to get more from the rangers. Walk away tambellini. Walk away. Were not the bad guys in this deal. make a run at beauchemin/Zanon, Hossa/Gaborik, Anderson and a checking centre who can win a faceoff.

79. bookie says:

Further – the 'evidence' of hossa and others says nothing about whether they turned down the team or the city. Heatley signed in Ottawa only to request a trade, is it because he hates the coach or the city?

As per the Edmonton born and raised players, I would bet that most players from Canadian teams wouldent want to play in their home city because of the family factor (crazy uncle, former classmates bugging you for tickets, nieces and nephews all wanting you to attend b-days).

80. Traktor says:

At this point I think it makes more sense to give a UFA an extra 1-2 million and keep our assets for other deals.

81. Showerhead says:

Traktor: I like that as well. I feel Heatley was a good bet vs. some of the UFAs in that he consistently plays near to 82 games but at this point, the offer is good enough and I am worried they may feel pressured to sweeten if this whole NYR thing is true.

82. Traktor says:

"Sounds more and more that it wasn't heatley, it was Bryan Murray who pulled this deal in order to get more from the rangers."

We should publicly announce that we're out of the Heatley sweepstakes and then Murray can take half of the Rangers original offer.

83. DBO says:

If the rangers get heatley would we still try to deal Penner to Ottawa? they obviously have interest in him, so would we try and move him? Could you get Dubinsky or Callahan if Murray likes Penner so much?

84. bookie says:

Where are you picking up this 'Brian Murry pulled the plug info'?

85. DBO says:

Ohlund to tampa for 7 years, $22 million. As per USA Today (on team 1260 show), so take it for what it's worth

86. DBO says:

Bookie: Millard on Team 1260 mentioned it, so did his brother from Sportsnet.

87. DBO says:

Dreger on TSN reporting Hossa may sign in Detroit. Team 1260 mentioned it. Wow. Guess havlat is in play and chicago will need to move salary. Go get Patrick Sharp.

88. Showerhead says:

~3M for Ohlund? I expected… more? Though I suspect all of those years mean a very small tail end salary.

89. Traktor says:

Showerhead: There's no way you can increase the offer for a guy who doesn't want to be here.

Sounds like Hossa to Chicago.

Havlat?

90. Deano says:

bookie

My apologies, I see your point now – we agree somewhat. I think the gongshow you speak of comes from Lowe's attitude in the press ('Five Cups'). He carried on like it was still the glory years and nothing had changed. That combined with MacT's micro-management on the ice and the lack of ways to enjoy the fame and wealth has appeared to make the franchise somewhat of a laughing-stock amongst the players. (Right now Edmonton's bag-o-suck is seen to be larger than others cities' bag-o-suck.)

91. DBO says:

TSN blog saying Montreal in on Havlat and Gaborik

92. Showerhead says:

TSN says average of 3.75 – makes a little more sense.

93. spOILer says:

bookie said Nope, first of all, only a handful of us care enough on July 1st about hockey to even know the details of what is going on.

But hey people are already willing to boo Heatley based on speculation and conflicting reports, and some other posters are talking about giving up their hockey addiction over this whole hullabaloo.

Oh, The Draa-ma.

*rolls eyes*

Settle down peoples. Valium to the left, Ludes to the right. If you can't medicate, splifficate.

LT, are we moving the cluster that much? Heater is a yr and half older than Penner, replace Cogs with Brule and Smid with Theo and I think we're younger.

And Heatley matches the Horc, Pisani, Souray, Vish cluster.

94. DBO says:

Dreger sayin Ohlund gets $22.5 mill of the $24.5 mill in the first 5 years. Makes sense.

95. bookie says:

Spolier said – That's awfully arrogant. I don't think any of us know th details of what is really going on, or what has really happened to this point.

Agreed – what I meant is that Joe Average Fan won't care about the moment to moment details if Heatley signs within 48 hours. So, nobody will boo because its only those of us who sit at our computer on nice sunny days that will know or care about the finer details of the trade/non-trade.

Deeno- we are in agreement now. I think the Management Plan is to go for it now to re-estabilish that this team is in a new era the Katz-Lowe-Tambi-Quinn era and the old eratic Lowe-MacT show is done.

96. JK says:

Why don't the Green Bay Packers have these kinds of problems?

Seriously, the Edmonton Oilers need to look to Lambeau to find some answers in the "frozen tundra" on how to run a successful professional sports franchise.

For that matter, the NHL should look to the NFL for some guidance on how to avoid the bush-league label it has been flirting with for quite some time.

There, I said it. It wasn't as easy as you might think for me to say that. I am every bit as much a fan of the Chicago Bears as I am a fan of the Oilers, and if you think the Battle of Alberta is fierce, then you should check out the rivalry between the Packers and the Bears.

JK

97. HBomb says:

Man, Tampa's been a gong-show the last couple years, but Ohlund at that cap hit as a Hedman mentor?

Brilliant. Early clubhouse lead for "best signing of the day".

98. Coach pb9617 says:

Settle down peoples. Valium to the left, Ludes to the right.

That's my kind of party.

I'd rather have the $4.3 million dollar fat man (Penner) than the $7.5 million dollar fat man (Heatley).

Penner will go into the corners and stand in front of the net and play decent two-way hockey.

Heatley, not so much.

Heately will be washed up soon after first contact with Robyn Regehr.

100. Jonathan Willis says:

HBomb: That's sarcasm, right? I love Ohlund but he's not more than second-pairing guy at this point.

101. Coach pb9617 says:

Brilliant. Early clubhouse lead for "best signing of the day".

It's a good idea, but it's about a million too much on the cap.

102. HBomb says:

JW and Coach: I rate Ohlund a lot higher than most. I don't think the cap hit is really that out-of-line.

103. Deano says:

JK,

On the Packers:

Two words: Brett Favre.

If you are a Bears fan, like I am, there were many barren years prior to Favre's arrival where the Pack suffered from the same kind of reputation that we are hand-wringing over.

104. DBO says:

Dvorak resign in Florida for 2 years for $3.4 mill.
    TSn saying Hossa close in Chicago

105. Big T says:

Damn! DVO resigned with FLA for 2yrs and $1.7MM cap hit

106. Traktor says:

Ohlund is pretty much exactly what Bolts need, plus he'll be a great mentor for Hedman.

Beauty signiing.

107. PDO says:

Great signing for the Bolts.

How can Chicago possibly have enough cap room to sign Hossa when Toews, Kane, and Keith will be in need of contracts next year/

109. R O says:

One year deal?

110. Deano says:

Big T.

D-Vo's money is almost in the Pies, Moreau Staois group.

We can do better than that.

111. HBomb says:

R O: A one year deal to sign with a contender from Hossa? Why would he do something like that?

I kid, of course, but from his perspective, he's probably looking long term now. From a Chicago perspective, one year at big money before Kane and Toews need new deals for Hossa would be rather smart.

112. Coach pb9617 says:

Pang is insane. Two years for Roloson?! Apparently the 'sphere are the only people that see how bad goalie contracts are.

113. R O says:

I dunno HBomb. The teams that are able to offer big-money and long-term to Hossa (EDM, MTL, etc.) aren't locks to contend in the next few years. I can't imagine that Hossa has lost his urge to win in this last year.

114. PDO says:

Jay Feaster – "you can't overpay the bottom of your roster."

Jesus, we'd be better off with him the past decade than Lowe.

115. Deano says:

coachpb

If I had to do it, I could see adding a second year for Roli @ $500,000. Pay him as the backup.

116. Coach pb9617 says:

But the cap hit is averaged and if he has to retire after a year, the hit stays. You cannot risk that with a cap-strapped team.

117. PDO says:

I'm not a big Pierre fan by any stretch, but he scores big points for standing up for Edmonton there when it seems every media guy loves taking pot shots.

118. Deano says:

Couldn't his hit be traded somwhere else?

Retired Roli+pick for ECHL-guy?

capologists?

119. Jonathan Willis says:

Too much money for Dvorak.

120. Jonathan Willis says:

Deano: There's nothing against it in theory, but Brian Burke tried something similar and mysteriously found his 4th round pick being taken away.

121. R O says:

He also said Cogliano's never going to be an offensive player in the NHL. Call me crazy but a sophomore scoring 40 points tracks pretty well into a decent offensive NHL player, no?

122. Deano says:

Willis

So its Retired Roli+pick+penalty for ECHL-guy.

123. Coach pb9617 says:

So its Retired Roli+pick+penalty for ECHL-guy.

There are too many goalies avaialble to mess with this business.

124. shanetrain says:

Harding, Halak, Anderson …

what the hell are the Oil up to?

Im leaving Jasper on the way back to Sylvan Lake,(not one freakin timmy's on the way) … please Tambellini and co. dont gutter the team anymore with desperate deals!

Bouw signing with the fLAMES hurt … please, no more.

125. kris says:

Coach:

Presuming they'll play here. :)

Colton Orr, 1 million times four to Toronto.

shane: There's a timmy's in Edson. How far out of the way?

128. DBO says:

there is no Timmy's in Edson. Drive to fort mac every week.

129. HBomb says:

I could swear there's a Tim Horton's/Wendy's at the east end of Edson, right by the Esso station.

Really? I need to drink less.

131. DBO says:

woops, I meant boyle. Need a timmy's apparently.

YEAH! HBomb even gave the location. I knew it!

133. PDO says:

LT:

More beer, less coffee.

Right?

PDO: Always! Coffee is for wakin' up enough to drink!

135. Krankor says:

Spiked coffee is the best of both worlds.

136. Jonathan Willis says:

Deano: No, it would be more like retired Roli + pick for ECHL guy + pick taken away by the league.

Edmonton would be fine, there's just no incentive for the other team.

137. delooper says:

Tim Horton's: 4209 3rd ave, Edson Alberta.

138. HBomb says:

DBO: take this from a guy who has spent countless weekends there, how you could confuse Boyle with Edson is a head-scratcher.

But yes, they need a Timmy Ho's – although I think they're looking at building one at Grassland or somewhere around there.

139. shanetrain says:

lol

I agree with the beer comment wholeheartedly.

Well I'm outta here … nice 4.5 hr drive which should be enough time for the Oil to find some sandpaper, and someone to stop the flood in our end.

I have a feeling we are going to miss Roli. Weird I know. Enjoy the day guys/gals!

140. DBO says:

HBomb. yeah they do. it would be lined up 24/7 if they put one in Boyle/grassland. As for Edson, they are the same city just in different locations. And like I said, up too early and up too late last night stressing about the Oil. need a tim's refresher, or I guess as LT said, it is canada day. beer time?…. and done.

141. gary b says:

i'd be happy with news of a Biron and Cammalleri signing, and one big contract headed out of town.

have a good one shanetrain. No booze until you get there, okay?

143. DBO says:

shanetrain: the fort to edmonton drive? say hi to Buddy's for me.

144. Anonymous says:

Whether Ottawa's playing games or not, you leave this open today only as long as you want to and you don't up the offer. Heatley's consent has nothing to do with more pieces.

145. PDO says:

Jay Feaster doesn't have Gilbert on his team USA.

We're getting snubbed again!

146. Krankor says:

Isn't it interesting that after all of the non-stop rumours flying around yesterday, there hasn't been a peep about Heatley today? It does rather suggest that someone was leaking things intentionally to stir the pot, doesn't it?

147. PDO says:

LT:

That's what I like to hear.

Though a shot gunned redbull can work even better depending on how quickly you need to get drinking again ;)

148. Deano says:

The roster I read had Gilbert on it – but not DiPietro – Quick instead.

Rumor Anderson signed in Colorado, which means Roloson might be calling Tambellini soon.

Burke is an idiot…no Pominville, nor Yandle were invited to the team USA camp.

151. DBO says:

colorado gets Anderson? We better not be letting everything else slide waiting fo heatley. We did that with Hossa and got left with nothing we needed.

152. Coach pb9617 says:

That's a way better offer than the Oilers. Sufferin Succotash, take it Murray!

153. JK says:

Deano,

I agree with you re: Favre and Green Bay's lean years (which lasted approximately 30 years until Favre's arrival). What I am actually saying is that the Packers NFL Franchise serves as a good model for the Oilers to follow if they are ever going to pull themselves out of this seemingly endless tailspin of rebuilding, developing prospects, and then losing said prospects shortly before or shortly after they come into their own. The Packers model is also a good fit from a marketing and player acquisition standpoint – two very important pieces of the puzzle if you consider the current unwillingness of players to come to Edmonton and the growing dissatisfaction of the fan base.

Basically, the Oilers need to start doing whatever it was the Packers did from just about the time they acquired Brett Favre in a trade from the Atlanta Falcons until about the time when they invoked the wrath of the football gods by insisting he move on.

That's all.

On another level the NHL needs to get its shit together and take measures to prevent and punish GMs from doing what it appears Bryan Murray has done to the Oilers.

Other than that, I lean toward lowetide's assertion that this could ultimately end up being a bullet- dodged.

JK

154. speeds says:

DBO:

This seems good to me, EDM has a bunch of options and can offer #1 minutes.

Talk with Biron and Roloson for a bit, see which one you can get for cheap, preferably Biron IMO.

//Sather has apparently drawn the line at Callahan, Dubinsky, Del Zotto and a 1st pick. //

Can the Oilers make it a three way, and take the stuff the Rangers are offering, send Penner, Smid, and Cogliano to Ottawa, and Heatley to the Rangers.

156. max fisher says:

do you guys even live in alberta???? there is a timmy's in both edson and hinton

157. Deano says:

Godot10

Excellent!

158. Coach pb9617 says:

Uh, yeah, that would be amazing.

159. PDO says:

Hossa a Blackhawk.

160. DBO says:

dreger says Hossa to Chicago is done

161. pboy says:

The BlackHawks have to be ripe for the picking now that they have signed Hossa. They have to re-sign Kane, Toews and Duncan Keith next season and I can't see how they will be able to dump Brian Cambell on anyone. Keep our picks for next season and prepare an RFA offer sheet or look to pluck someone like Patrick Sharp or David Bolland maybe.

162. JK says:

godot10,

I like the idea of Tambellini talking to Murray and Sather about a win-win-win scenario.

Interesting, positive, outside-the-box, and forward-thinking – that's just what this thread, if not the Oilers organization needs.

Well played.

JK

163. DBO says:

TSn reporting booth resigns in Florida for 6 years and $4.25 mill per

164. DBO says:

165. jon k says:

Craig Anderson 2 years 1.8 in Colorado?

Pretty sweet deal…

166. Chris says:

There goes the goalie we all wanted.

167. Coach pb9617 says:

But it's not what the Owner wants.

168. Coach pb9617 says:

Anderson to Colorado. $1.8 mill per for 2 years (dreger). how the hell did we not offer that?

Anderson at 1.8 and Labarbera at 1 fixes some cap problems and the goaltending problems. How in the hell indeed.

169. Jonathan Willis says:

RE: Anderson.

This is either very good or very bad. In the best case scenario, the Oilers get Roloson or Biron relatively cheap. Worst case scenario, Scott Clemmensen gets signed and we all watch as Jeff Deslauriers emerges as the least-bad goaltender on the team.

I'd guess Roloson comes back.

170. Smarmy Boss says:

Sadly, Roloson is probably the only goalie that will sign in Edmonton and that's only because he doesn't have much of a choice.

171. DBO says:

Lots of goalies, not many starters spots available. 1 year $2 mill for Rollie. Biron – 3 years $6 million. Not a dollar more

172. DBO says:

romour is 12 years for $5 mill per for hossa in Chicago. wow.

173. kris says:

Coach:

Maybe we offered 2.4/yr and he went with Colorado.

174. Showerhead says:

"Darren Dreger says the Hossa deal in done with Chicago. Details are not finalized, but Bob McKenzie says it will be a cap hit of slightly more than $5 million per year. Could be up to a 12-year deal. Will have precise details soon."

Cap hit is TINY, term is HUGE. Does this average out to just right?

175. DBO says:

Cogs and Smid for Gagne from Philly.
    Penner and prospect for Volchenkov

Need anther beer.

Oh and matt Walker in tampa for 4 years at $1.7 millper year. really Tampa. Man.

176. Chris says:

12 years? I thought that was the Wang Specialty.

177. Deano says:

$5MM cap hit for a 41 y.o. Hossa is difficult to swallow, but who knows it'll be 2021.

178. DBO says:

conklin 2 years in St. louis.

179. DBO says:

lol. i beat Dreger by 1 minute on his twitter.

180. Krankor says:

I guess the Blues will make the finals next year. And lose.

181. PDO says:

Goaltending going nice and cheap…

182. mc79hockey says:

Why are these fucking European players so desperate to sign until the end of time?

183. DBO says:

PDO: exactly. lower the offer to Rollie adn Biron. We better not over pay

184. PDO says:

I'd have been very happy with today if the Oilers signed Hossa to that deal.

185. uni says:

Well the Hossa tunnel vision helped cost Glencross, and similar tunnel vision cost Hejda.

Seems this year that Heatley has already caused damaged. I hope Tambellini pulls the deal and starts focusing on his team. Anderson just got signed in Colorado, and if he's truly a #1 netminder (something they haven't had for 2 seasons now) then every team in the NW just improved in na big way today except the Oilers.

186. DBO says:

the hossa deal is 12 years at $5.2 mill (62.4)

187. PDO says:

BTW, DBO and I are here to create mass confusion.

Whose left that needs a goalie? Even just a BACKUP goalie?

Khabibulan is available as well.

188. Deano says:

Someone call the bat-cave with godot10's Heatley 3-way idea.

189. Chris says:

Because they're European mudcrutch. Europe is so heavily unionized and socialist that most jobs there have cradle to the grave security. I'd imagine that the European hockey players are much the same in that they want the security blanket of a guaranteed paycheck from here to kingdom come.

190. DBO says:

PDO: LOL.

191. Coach pb9617 says:

This management group has demonstrated a number of issues that are going to make things worse. Tunnel vision indeed.

192. DBO says:

Dregher saying the Hossa deal is 53 mill in the 1st 7 years. wow. He retires and the cap falls off after7 years. Smart move by Chicago

193. Coach pb9617 says:

Fernandez
    Khabibulin
    Biron
    Roloson
    Legace
    Gerber
    Labarbera
    Garon

194. Deano says:

Harding is also available to someone (probably not us though)

195. DBO says:

trade for harding. Sign Rollie for 1 year. If that is all we do today then I'm fine.

196. hunter1909 says:

Roloson an Islander.

Anyone have any idea who's the starting goalie next year?

Or are we just waiting to see what Dany decides on, then end up with no one?

197. Showerhead says:

Uh Oh. Roli an Islander?

198. DBO says:

TSN: rollie for 2 years for $5 mill. lol

199. Ribs says:

Hope Roli likes the bench.

Newer Comments »