Nash Confirms Cornell

We knew Riley Nash was leaning toward staying another season at Cornell and the Ithica News confirms it. Nash is quoted as saying “I just thought another year here would be more advantageous than going to play for a pro team. Once I took a step back and talked to some people about what I had to work on, it was kind of this was the choice that needed to be made.”

42 Responses to "Nash Confirms Cornell"

1. hunter1909 says:

It might be nice for the Oilers "organisation" if they actually had someone who was in charge of their hockey operation, to the point of actually having a fucking clue how to manage their prospects.

Who's the president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe?

"It sets up a very interesting summer of 2010, when the Oilers have centers graduating from everywhere on planet earth. Any and all of Nash, Vande Velde, Hartikainen, Omark and even Lander might feel ready to turn pro and find their way through the system. "

Awesome.

The sooner the Oilers have a stable good young players learning the pro game in the AHL the better for the long term prospects for this team.

The number of players this organization has had learning the pro game at the NHL level has been a huge drag on the team's results.

3. B.C.B. says:

WoodyGuy: Having 3 to 5 centers graduating from junior, collage, and Europe at the same time is a terrible situation, not a productive one. An AHL team cannot have rookie pivots up and down there lineup and expect to be any better then the Falcons where last year. Which will forces some of them to play out of position- on the wing- or sit in the press box- waiting for one of the other rookies to fail or get hurt.

Some of these centers will become trade bait, I just hope Tambo chooses the right ones to keep.

4. Coach pb9617 says:

Härski has taken up the left wing in the Liiga.

5. quain says:

I hope these kids are ready for the inevitable, "I can't believe they replaced Schremp with this bum!" comments. I'm not ready.

6. doritogrande says:

We also clear the 50-contract list of names such as O'Marra, MacDonald and I believe Paukovich that same summer. Replacing the longshots with a new batch doesn't seem like much of an issue to me considering that, like the old guard, they're coming from college and are older in the first place.

I think they'll be fine if used in a rotation. 60 games apiece for Nash, Vande Velde and possibly Lander on Springfield's 3/4 lines would be a great way to bring them in.

Since Omark believes he doesn't belong on a minor league team, I don't see a chance he forces an issue in Springfield. Hartikainen's the only wild card.

7. NormanMendoza says:

I don't understand why everyone is so worked up about this. Prospect development is not always a straight line — we know this. You can hope that your year 20xx draft picks come to play at certain years, but you have to think that lots of that relies on the individual, injuries, and a whole bunch of unpredictable things.

Having to choose 1 player out of 5 is good — cream rises to the top. Its better than having to choose 1 player out of 1 because you have no options.

When we wax adoringly about other teams who seem to be able to punch valuable players out of their systems — its because they have a wealth of quality, and you see only the best players who come out.

Some of it is timing and opportunity for sure — but the best player who has the best camp at the right time will often get the carrot. And the team benefits.

8. Sean says:

I dont think the number of centres graduating will be that big of a deal. They wont all succeed. The good ones will stay at C and the rest will adapt as wingers or get past by better options. This org needs an Alex Burrows to emerge this season… good luck

"An AHL team cannot have rookie pivots up and down there lineup and expect to be any better then the Falcons where last year. Which will forces some of them to play out of position- on the wing- or sit in the press box- waiting for one of the other rookies to fail or get hurt."

If they sit, that would be bad.

If they are forced to play the wing, then that is good. Having the ability to play all the forward positions is not a bad thing.

If they are not good enough after 1 year in the AHL to bump a center and play their natural position, what are the chances that they would bump a center and get some ice time in the NHL?

Having too much talent in the AHL is not a bad thing. The cream will still rise to the top with proper coaching, which the Oilers thankfully now have there.

10. quain says:

In theory, but you need to look at the fact that VandeVelde and Nash are both going to be coming off three years in university and Omark/Hartikainen, if they did come over, would be coming off seasons in the KHL and Finnish Elite League, respectively.

I would imagine they wouldn't run out the entire gross of them, but a lineup that opens with, say, Potulny at the top and then Nash/VandeVelde/Omark down the line, sounds like it'd have a good chance to do well to me.

"Since Omark believes he doesn't belong on a minor league team, I don't see a chance he forces an issue in Springfield."

If Omark does well in KHL this year do you think the Oilers offer him a 1 way contract?

12. jdrevenge says:

Interesting indeed. Excellent point.

13. Coach pb9617 says:

I don't think Lander is going to be a concern next summer and I think Hartikainen is two years out and at left wing anyway.

Only Vande Velde and Nash will be in Springfield in the Autumn of 2010.

14. hunter1909 says:

Lowe on the Olympic hopefuls:

"The guys are young, but they play like they have 10 or 15 years experience," said Lowe.

WTF is with this clown!? Is everything he's associated with just peachy no matter what reality states to the contrary?

15. Paper Designer says:

I hope that was sarcasm, Hunter. He's talking about Team Canada. They could use their B team and have a reasonable shot at winning it all. When it comes to Team Canada, everything IS peachy. At least until the games start.

16. bookie says:

To be fair, in your perception Hunter everything is totally hopeless no matter what the reality states…

17. Racki says:

I don't think it's such a bad idea for the Oil or Nash. Someone will get bumped over to the wing. I'd like to see our prospects coming in a bit more staggered out, but not a big deal.

18. Bohologo says:

LT, is there any chance Selma Hayek went to Cornell? Just hoping.

19. Lord Bob says:

I wouldn't give Omark a one-way deal for anything short of leading the Russian league in some major statistical category. The KHL gets lots of press but it's still no better than the AHL and the style of play is pretty different.

Also, this Nash news is disheartening. This kid just recedes further and further into the distance.

20. kris says:

It will never happen for all sorts of reasons, but I really like the idea of this top 9 for next year's Falcons:

2010-2011:

Reddox-Omark-MPS
    Hartikainnen-Nash-Eberle
    Minard-Vandevelde-McDonald

That's a lineup of blue chippers, some of whom have already dominated playing against grown men, and youngish, solid vets. That's how you make an AHL team, not by jamming long shot prospects into tough-minute rolls.

Maybe you have to drop one of those guys to the fourth line and add another veteran lik Potulny but that's no problem.

What the coming glut of players really means is that guys like Trukhno and Kytnar really need to show something to get a shot in the AHL. That's a good thing, I think, some of these guys can spend time between the ECHL and the 4th line of the Falcons.

You can always loan a forward to another AHL team, too.

21. Bank Shot says:

There could be worse things than staying in college. Nash needs to dominate this year, or his cache as a prospect flatlines.

22. kris says:

This kid just recedes further and further into the distance.

I'm interested, why do you say this?

I seem to remember the comments about Nash at development camp suggested he had developed well, especially that he had really bulked up.

23. BBZC says:

This would be amazing

24. delooper says:

Ithaca — the town is named after the Greek island.

25. bookie says:

I never had a problem with Comrie and I never had a problem with him requesting a trade. If I were an NHLer I would NOT want to play in the city where my family, my former high school, and all of relatives are. Can you imagine how many times you would get opinions/advice about the team. Can you imagine how many calls you would get from people wanting tickets for their second nephews friends family… uhg…

26. PunjabiOil says:

What's this Comrie coming back to Edmonton business I'm hearing about?

On the contrary, some things never change – We'll be active at the trade deadline, well out of contention out of a playoff spot!:

Kevin Lowe: "Are we finished? No. But sometimes the job isn't done all at once." – Says they're hoping to be active at trade deadline.
    _____________________

The full interview of Lowe is on the 630 CHED's, ALBERTA's INFORMATION SUPERSTATION website.

27. GSC says:

I will never, ever, blame someone for finishing up school before going pro. Thanks to college football and basketball, it seems like it's a regular occurrence down here in the States. The term "student-athlete" is dying hard, so whenever I see one come around I'm proud to see that some still care about their education.

Then again, I've never had millions of dollars danged in front of me…oh well, different strokes for different folks (I prefer Billy Squire's, myself).

28. rickibear says:

I wouldn't give Omark a one-way deal for anything short of leading the SEL in some major statistical category. The SEL gets lots of press but it's still (.78/.44) 1.77 times better than the AHL and the style of play is pretty different.

Fixed and Oh Wait!
    He did that!
    Oilers you dumb …………!

We now leave Richards custody battle driven rant and return to his regularly scheduled calmness.

29. digger says:

So…hrm.

1 yr, 1.3M?

If this is true, I am going to laugh until the tears fall like rain.

30. Lord Bob says:

If you buy Desjardins numbers as perfect distillations of league quality, as the myriad factors making each league what it is broken down into two-digit coefficients, then sure, Omark should have a one-way contract.

I'm just saying, pretty sure Jaroslav Bednar is a scoring leader in Europe too.

31. Lord Bob says:

Also, if this Comrie to the Oilers thing is true… that would really be perfect, wouldn't it? Just the cherry on top of the sundae that is this unbelievably shitty team in a spectacularly amateurish organization.

32. spOILer says:

Don't we already have Comrie types duplicated up and down the depth chart?

Well thank god we're going to address the size and toughness issue this summer. So this rumour can't be true. Because Steve Tambellini wouldn't lie to me like that.

Unless Khabibulin took up MMA during the lockout year.

33. PunjabiOil says:

From his twitter:

How real is this rumor of Comrie signing w/ the Oil? My guy I'm talking to swears its a done deal and that Katz dud it himself

__________

Maybe Katz should just stay away from the team and let Tambellini handle it.

IF there is room for Comrie, there certainly is room for Malhotra, Bonk, Lang, or Moore.

I don't think the Oilers can offer Omark a one-way deal. Entry-level contracts have to be two-way. Which is why Omark is guarenteeing his financial security for life in Russia first, before coming to America.

35. Gerta Rauss says:

If the Comrie thing is true,the Oilers can't possibly be done…use up the last few pennies of cap space on another smallish forward??

They've got to have something else up their sleeves.

36. hunter1909 says:

I almost hope that little twat Comrie does go to the Oilers. I'm looking for that final reason to stop bothering with the Oilers anyway.

Then Quinn retires, and we end up with fucking Renney and Comrie…to the cap ceiling and with nothing but years of more shit ahead…lmao.

Looks like the Leafs are going to win the cup before this un-organisation.

Tambellini = Talk loudly, and carry a small stick.

37. bookie says:

Why don't you just go follow another team already if this is how you feel. A lot of you guys remind me of the guys on the shop floor making $15 an hour and always complaining that the idiot millionaire boss doesn’t know anything. If only you were in charge of the company…

Making trades/signings, etc in the REAL world of the NHL is much more difficult than just saying its a good/bad idea. Also, Tambi never promised to trade/sign toughness, he said in his conference that they first had to see if they could get more toughness/compete out of their own players – that is pretty hard to do over the summer.

The big mistake the Oilers made was keeping MacT around too long. I do believe that Lowe and Katz's loyalty was playing a part there. Tambi wants to see what these guys can do in a new regime before he totally dismantles what could be a pretty good team.

I totally respect guys like LT who give really outstanding analysis and critique, but the "this team is the worst shittiest dumbest team ever" stuff is just asinine.

38. Mr. Bugg says:

Nash has gone this far. Don't be surprised if he spend all four years there.

39. bookie says:

My guy I'm talking to swears its a done deal and that Katz dud it himself

There really has been no indication that Katz is a heavy medler in the management of the team other than from people's friends who know someone's neighbour who heard something…

40. Voxwah says:

Penner-Comrie-Hemsky
    O’Sullivan-Gagner-Cogliano
    Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani
    JFJ-Brule-Stortini

Doesn't look like too bad of a line up. A bit small but having Horc on the 3rd line in a shutdown role with lots of PK action would work well. 5.5 is a bit much for a 3rd line C, but then again 1.3 for your 1st line C is pretty good.

41. quain says:

The cool thing about Horcoff is he can play any slot in your lineup well. The cool thing about Comrie is he can't play any slots in the lineup well.

At least he's banging Hilary Duff, he'll need something to hang his hat on.

42. Traktor says:

Oddly enough Comrie and Horcoff both have exactly 338 points. Comrie did it in 35 less games.

Comrie has five 20 goal seasons.
    Horcoff has two 20 goal seasons.

Comrie has two 30 goal seasons.
    Horcoff has zero 30 goal seasons.

Comrie has reached 60 points twice
    Horcoff has reached 60 points once.

Horcoff has reached 70 points once.
    Comrie has never hit 70.

Horcoff is obviously a better all-around player but if you're asking which one will cover their contract this year it certainly isn't going to be Horc.