Perfect

It’s really all about presentation. The Edmonton Oilers have spent to the cap without ever once worrying about balance, but the bottom line is the masses are excited about the future.

And why not? There’s an owner who spends to the cap, who hasn’t threatened us once about a new arena (where IS Kevin Lowe these days?), who seems completely happy spending several seasons outside the playoffs to begin his regime.

I think this summer has been about running in place, about picking spots and trying to improve with “names” from the free agent and trade piles but always knowing the fallback was this large group of kids trying to find their way.

A lot of what we’ve been talking about since summer 2006 is potential: Matt Greene, Ladislav Smid, Marc Pouliot, Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano, Robert Nilsson, Patrick Thoresen and on and on. This fall, we’ll be talking about Peckham and Brule, with Eberle possible and even a Schremp sighting within the realm of possibility.

Here’s a quick depth chart with cap numbers.

GOALIES

5. MacIntyre .537

RIGHT WING

1. Hemsky 4.1
  2. Nilsson 2.0
  3. Pisani 2.5
  4. Stortini .7

That’s 23 players making $55,687,000 according to my numbers. Cap is $56,800,000 which means the Oilers have $1,113,000 in cap room. I imagine that’ll be kept for the deadline deals, and of course there’s still a good possibility there will be some moves/invites that could impact the final roster and cap number.

Also, they probably need to have some room just in case there are cap surprises (say Dubynk wins the backup job, he makes $700,000 cap).

There’s talk (Matheson again) about Smid being able to play top 4D soon, and that makes sense if we’re going to believe the plan is to sign Grebeshkov long term next summer and offload one of the big contracts sometime in the next 12 months. Other considerations are dealing people like Pisani, Moreau, Souray and Staios at the deadline should the season go poorly. We should listen very closely to everything Pat Quinn says from here on out.

28 Responses to "Perfect"

1. Oilmaniac says:

What a beautiful woman..
    But beyond the 'Perfect' distraction, how 'Perfect' is the whole situ?!..

Is this simply a lesson in 'just be happy that edmonton has a team with some reasons to get excited', playoffs excluded…

The tragedy is the disconnect between the quality veterans and the kids. The Pronger trade cut the roster exactly in half, not simply because of that trade but also because there was no plan to add veterans.

Oilers dealt Pronger AND money but all they got back was kids and didn't spend the money. And because they needed a story they elevated the kids and they'll start getting paid next season.

3. Oilmaniac says:

The vets were in their prime contributing years, but now those years have been 'wasted' trying to keep the team above an AHL compete level..

Now as the fresh stock of talent gradually develops, these vets/gents are becoming the next hole(s) on the roster.. the oil are no longer the team of role players that 'just needed a superstar' to take it all the way…

Horc n Hemmer… the next tie between past n present…

4. Alice says:

No, seriously – is that really Stan Weir's mom?

5. bookie says:

I have said it all summer. Other than the attempt at Heatley, the management was fine going into the new season with the team we have.

It was all in the fireMacT presser. "We need to see if we can get more toughness and compete out of the guys we have in the room, if not we will need to bring some people in" (paraphrase).

Throughout the presser, it was clear that their was a feeling that players underacheved under MacT's complex and defensivly focused coaching. Why sell your players low? Let them play to see what you have first.

I am fine with this team, although I was hoping to see a D move to get a top 6 forward.

6. Coach pb9617 says:

I'll say it right now — I've never been a fan of hers.

I much prefer brunettes.

7. Brett Gee 英 明 says:

Yeah, who is that? And is that a nipple?

8. bookie says:

Note:technically, I said that I expected small changes with perhaps one D-man moved for a forward. I think that would have happened (and still might) if it were not for the Heatley distraction.

9. Alice says:

YOU ARE WRONG!
    Besides, I bet if you got the full tour you might find a patch of dark hair after all. Or die trying…

10. Alice says:

How long did it take Peca to become that which we call Peca?

Wondering if someday the rest of that program comes to POS

Brigitte Bardot, France's best export. There are a bunch of songs in rock history that make reference to her, a ton. Quite the beauty, crazy though.

12. oilerdiehard says:

Hey LT. Did you catch that interview with Tambellini last night?

Tencer asked about the center situation. A couple different times during the interview. Tambellini mentions how impressed the organization was with how well O'Sullivan played center at the World Championships. He also sounded very receptive to Cogliano on the wing.

It makes me wonder if there is some thought of Cogs and O'Sullivan swapping spots. Sully to C on the 3rd and Cogs to the wing in the top six? Which would push MAP to the 4th line. Just some food for thought I suppose.

Tambo also said he was not all that impressed with Brule's AHL season just past. He thought he played better in his NHL audition then in the minors.

oilerdiehard: No, I didn't hear it. Is it available?

14. geowal says:

It's interview central on the oilers' website right now.

Guess I'll be busy during halftime of the football game

15. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Cogliano – Gagner – Nilsson
    Moreau – O'Sullivan – Pisani
    Jacques – Pouliot/Brule – Stortini

Bruce forgive me…

I much prefer:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Cogliano – Gagner – Nilsson
    Moreau – O'Sullivan – Pisani
    Jacques – Pouliot – Brule

Coach: COACH! Why does everyone pick on Bruce? I never do.

17. raventalon40 says:

@pb9617:

Stortini is a damn useful player, I might add.

18. quain says:

Stortini is a useful player much like cinder blocks are useful when someone strips your car. You're not going anywhere, but at least you have someone to get punched in the face in the interim.

The only question with regard to Stortini is how many at-bats to give him. Coach makes a good point, maybe not for this season but sometime down the line. Your 4th line isn't all about production but a little more offense from Zorg rocket would be nice.

20. Oilmaniac says:

"Quite the beauty, crazy though.."

mmm… winning combination in my world…

Im not a huge storts fan.. in many ways.. but i still prefer him on the 4th line over brule on the wing.. until brule forces his way onto the roster (as the 4th line centre), he is not taking off the bigger/tougher slugger/hugger… IMO… Poo gets flushed before that happens…

21. bookie says:

is that a nipple?

No, partial areola.

Turn safe search off on google image search if you want to see what a nipple looks like.

22. Ribs says:

I don't think I've ever seen Ricky Ray make a run like that one. Beauty.
    Good game so far.

23. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach: COACH! Why does everyone pick on Bruce? I never do.

Poor Bruce. He just wants to watch Zorg play ball.

Stortini is a damn useful player, I might add.

In what sense?

Cinder blocks have faces?

Jacques brings size, Brule brings batshit and Pouliot should bring [x] OTHER.

24. kris says:

Coach and Bruce:

1. Can Jacques fight as well as or better than Stortini? I don't seem to remember, maybe I didn't care enough to make a note of remembering.

2. If so, does Jacques sufficiently fill the team's need for fighters, when added to Strudwick, Moreau. etc.? (Let's just assume that, though I actually disagree with this, that we need at least one guy who can fight the heavyweights well. The issue is, do we need more than one in the lineup.)

3. Will Jacques be a better bet to help his line outscore 4th line competition?

This last question is where things get really interesting, and where my good friend Bruce will disagree.

I think we have evidence that Jacques is already as good as Stortini, and maybe a fair bit better. (The damned injuries Jacques has suffered, and the great run of SH% Stortini had with GlenX and Brodz. makes it tough to tell.)

In 06/07 we have a small sample size where both Jacques and Stortini played, the former about 280 minutes, the latter about 200 minutes. (Yes, it's a small sample size and all that.)But the great thing is that they're both 1985 birthdays, so age doesn't spoil the comparisons.

That season, Jacques played tougher competition, real competition actually (0.006), and Stortini, as always, played the dregs (-0.065). However, Stortini had worse teammates (-0.37) than Jacques (-0.15)

Now, we might not remember anything but Jacques' season but that he got zero points, but he actually slightly outperformed Stortini in terms of goal differential 5×5/60, even though he was playing real NHL'ers! It doesn't prove anything, but it is pertinent evidence.

Furthermore, and I know this is putting me out on a limb, but I have to think that Jacques results on offense were partially due to bad luck. (I can't find the Corsi's for that year. I wish I could. They'd tell us a bit.) Indeed, if the bounces had gone a bit better for Jacques, he may have performed closer to even. And that's against real players, remember.

Looking at the AHL, Jacques has scored at a 0.31 goals per game pace at the AHL level, and Stortini at a 0.11 goals per game pace. Okay, I admit Jacques played a higher percentage of his games in the A at an older age. However, by 05/06 Jacques was a monster in the A, scoring 26 goals, 12 more than Stortini would ever score in the A in over 100 games. That same season, Stortini scored 2 goals.

Again, the AHL comparisons on their own don't decisively prove anything, but they do tell us something.

Again, we also have to consider the possibility that Stortini, whose on-ice shooting percentages have been unreasonably high, has had some luck, that Jacques -I think- hasn't.

(I should point out the 07/08 numbers make Jacques look bad, but he only played four games, was on for one goal for 5×5, and 4 goals against. He did put up a decent Corsi of -6.6. And this was clearly the best year for Stortini. Similar things can be said about Jacques seven game stint this year, but even his Corsi is bad there.)

4. Does Jacques make Stortini unneccessary? Maybe. We'll see about half way through the season.

25. Gerta Rauss says:

There are a bunch of songs in rock history that make reference to her, a ton.

My favourite

26. geowal says:

What a game!

Can't wait for labour day, got my tickets.

Wow, what an ending to the football game.

I've said it before, and I will repeat it until he's released, Jonte Buhl has no business being a professional football player.

28. Ribs says:

..And that's why I watch the CFL. Goodness.