Rajala Injured

Young Finn Toni Rajala has suffered a significant injury at an under-20 tournament. The extent of the injury has been slow in coming, partly because Finnish-to-English translations are a weakness of the internet highway. The play came in a game against Switzerland and was a harmless looking play. He was flown from Slovakia to Finland and examined (mri) yesterday. There is online rumor that it’s either a ACL or MCL problem and we don’t know if it’s a sprain or a tear.

Rajala fell in the draft but has an outstanding resume. Stu MacGregor told us “we had him on a good spot on our list. He led the under-18 world championships in scoring. He’s a real competitive guy, maybe size is an issue a little bit, but he plays in the hard areas. He’s a kid with really good speed and hockey sense. I don’t know why he dropped back that far, but we’re pretty happy to get him.”

Jonathan Willis has a nice article up on Rajala today.

It’s the first negative arrow for this player and in an area that is key to developing prospects. For more on how injuries have impacted Oilers prospects in recent seasons, click “injuries (prospects)” in the labels section below this post.

14 Responses to "Rajala Injured"

1. Bruce says:

$#!+

2. Lord Bob says:

Don't worry, it's not like knee injuries, particularly for short guys who skate like the Roadrunner, ever become serious long-term problems.

3. Ribs says:

Ah, some scar tissue will just toughen him up. No problems.

Seriously though, it was just a matter of time for the kid. How he rebounds from something like this will give us a better idea of what we're in for with him.

4. raventalon40 says:

I hope he bounces back.

I envision him being the next Pavel Bure. :-D

Imagination is a wonderful thing.

5. NBOilerFan says:

Guy Flaming has an article up at "Coming down the Pipe" and says he's heard from the Oilers that Rajala actually got tackled at a practice… not a game.

The report from Iltalehti.fi out of Finland was that Rajala was hurt during a game against Switzerland. That is contradicted by what I was told today by the Oilers.

"We're still waiting to hear [details] but I guess he got tackled in practice and hurt his knee. He got a MRI done [Friday] and we haven't been told how bad it is but it didn't sound very good," said the team source.

6. uni says:

Oh lordie, did not want to hear this about the kid.

Hope he'll make a full and speedy recovery, and raventalon you keep on imagining, I've had that same dream =).

7. bookie says:

The word durring the draft was that this kid had glass Anterior Crutiate Ligamants and that is why the other teams were ignoring him. F@#$in Lowe and his optimism. Same story all the time.

8. Steve says:

F@#$in Lowe and his optimism. Same story all the time.

I don't think you can accuse him of optimism for picking Rajala 101st overall. Anybody you pick at that point is more likely not to pan out than not, and Rajala seemed like a reasonably good risk.

9. Steve says:

Anybody you pick at that point is more likely not to pan out than not…

And the above is why they call me Steve "Word" Smith, in case you were wondering. I think I'm still drunk from last night.

I thought you might have been watching Peter Pan. :-)

11. bookie says:

Steve – it was actually witty humour on my part…

I really don't expect Lowe to be able to predict the quality of a player's ACL and the comment was meant more as a stab at those who blame management for everything.

btw – Robbie Shremp has ACL's like tree trunks – if only the oilers would give him a chance at an NHL Knee on Knee collision!

12. Steve says:

Steve – it was actually witty humour on my part…

Okay, we'll add "density" to the list of my drunkenness's lingering effects.

Brb – Gatorade.

13. Coach pb9617 says:

Steve – it was actually witty humour on my part… .

Says you.

14. Showerhead says:

I think Bruce said it right in post #1.

All you can do now is hope for a speedy recovery and no long term impact.

Kind of like we did for Doug Lynch.