RE 09-10: Jason Strudwick

The role of 7th defenseman in the NHL is similar to third catcher in major league baseball. The Expos had a beauty 30+ years ago named Jose Morales who set a pinch-hitting record while not catching, playing first base or the outfield.

Jason Strudwick isn’t going to set any records, but he is a “jack-of-all-trades” type who can play the blue, forward, fight a little and is pretty damn funny based on some anecdotal information that the team sometimes passes down the to fanbase.

• Boxcars: 71gp, 2-7-9 60pims
  • Shots: 32
  • Plus Minus: -4
  • Corsi: -14.8 (worst)
  • 5×5/60: 0.61 (worst)
  • 5×4/60: 0.00
  • GF/GA ON: 25-32
  • Quality of competition: dregs
  • Quality of pairings: dregs
  • Cap Hit (capgeek): .700M
  1. What do these numbers tell us? Strudwick isn’t going to help like Cory Cross or Igor Ulanov used to and he doesn’t have Scott Ferguson’s future. He’s an end of the roster player playing an extremely small role. The Oilers devoted 900 minutes to Strudwick this past season, one doubts he gets that many in 09-10. His 9 points represent a career high as do the games-played.
  2. How can these numbers be better? They can’t. Strudwick’s 08-09 season was the outer marker for his career and he’s 34.
  3. What about injury? I think there’s a chance he’ll be placed on IR this season if Peckham shows well and there’s also a chance he’ll just retire at some point.
  4. What about a trade? No. Strudwick’s value doesn’t increase with playoffs.
  5. Will Quinn play him against tough opposition? No.
  6. How Important is Strudwick to the organization? Not terribly important, but he is the type of player who ends up doing color on TV or is named to the coaching staff midway through the season.

Predictions Past 2008-09

• Predicted: 54gp, 0-3-3 (.056 per game)
  • Actual: 71gp, 2-7-9 (.127 per game)

Prediction for 2009-10: 30gp, 0-1-1 (.033 per game)

9 Responses to "RE 09-10: Jason Strudwick"

1. gogliano says:

I think the one thing Strudwick really brings is the fact that he can play forward in a pinch. But I don't think his usefulness in this regard is being used properly. If I were running an NHL roster and had a D/F player like Strudwick, I'd dress 22 players for the season (6.5D/13.5F). The 600, 000 is probably better used on upgrading a 2nd liner than on having flexibility for your 4th line. The obvious player to drop is SMac.

2. Racki says:

I love Strudwick, but when you look a the stats, he's our worst d-man. But I really appreciate the toughness he brings, so it's nice to see him in the line up for those tough battles.

3. Art Vandelay says:

He proves the rule that talent is not a requisite for long-term NHL employment.

4. raventalon40 says:

It's always great to have guys like Strudwick on your team. Their flexibility and skill level lends much to their usefulness.

That being said, his place is in the press box, not on the ice. Unless we're playing the Calgary Flames or something, what use is he?

5. geowal says:

Ouch.

So we shouldn't be suprised if Khabiboulin gets more points than Struddy.. :)

6. raventalon40 says:

I wouldn't be surprised if DesLauriers gets more points that Struddy.

7. Rick says:

I think his numbers last year were skewed due to the ill-fated forward experiment by MacT.

Strudwuck is pretty decent in his own end, but still a 6/7 defenseman.

8. raventalon40 says:

I dunno if I'm just biased on the subject, but I trust Peckham more than Strudwick at this point.

But the point raised that he would gain more by being #1 in Springfield as opposed to #7 on the Oilers is also well taken, so Strudwick is a better bet for the 6/7 position.

9. nitecats03 says:

Dude…that's pretty harsh, but not entirely unfair. I'm a Ranger fan and liked Strudwick but realize his limitations.. most notably his foot speed. He did add needed toughness to the backline though. Does not seem as good a fit in Edmonton