The Edmonton Oilers promised fans a team with more grit in 2009-10, a team that will be tougher to play against. Although the major moves have been flipping the coaching staff and bringing in Nikolai Khabibulin, it’s also true JF Jacques has a top 12 role waiting for him this fall.
With Kyle Brodziak traded and a group of forwards that include Jacques, Brule, Pouliot and Stortini vying for playing time in that range, Jacques would appear to have a very good chance at playing most of the schedule in 2009-10.
- Boxcars: 7gp, 1-0-1, 9pims
- Shots: 3
- Plus Minus: Even
- Corsi: -27.4
- GF/GA ON: 3-4
- 5×5/60: 2.28
- 5×4/60: 0.00
- Quality of Competition: 3rd level
- Quality of Teammates: dregs
- FO %: 1 of 3 forwards who didn’t take a faceoff
- 09-10 Cap Hit: $.525M (capgeek)
Because those are numbers from such a small sample size I want to throw in a couple of points:
- Jacques has fought some real heavyweights: Tollefson, Parros among them.
- When he played in the AHL, Jacques’ offense was certainly good enough to project him as a major league role player. Per 82 games in the AHL he’s 26-31-57.
- What do these numbers tell us? Jacques is unlikely to hold a job in the top 9F any time soon. His will be a very defined role, similar to Zack Stortini’s.
- How could the numbers be better? Health is the problem for Jacques. If he can stay in the lineup we should expect 10 goals a season, a bunch of fights and some big time hits.
- What about Stortini? There was a time when these two men were neck and neck, but at this point Stortini has established himself in the role Jacques is trying to get: big league role player. Jacques looked like the better prospect at one time, looked like he would bring some offense along with all the other things, but that was a long time ago and these men are no longer prospects.
- How will Quinn use him? I imagine he’ll dress in games where a physical element is needed and get 4line shifts with a fight or two thrown in. The Wade Belak role.
- Will Quinn keep Jacques and MacIntyre? I don’t think MacIntyre can play.
- How Important is Jacques to this team? He has value in that there is a role for a player of his type. However, should Quinn decide to run a 4line with Brule, Stortini and someone like Potulny I don’t think we should be surprised. If Jacques hits waivers, I think he’ll be picked up though, because these big men are so damn valuable if they can actually play.
No quick facts because the goal he scord this season represents his entire offensive output in 60 NHL games.
Predictions Past 2008-09
- Predicted: 43gp, 3-7-10 (.232 per game)
- Actual: 7gp, 1-0-1 (.143 per game)
Prediction for 2009-10: 50gp, 3-7-10 (.200 per game)