I don’t know that a minor league player can do more to get noticed than Ryan Potulny did a year ago. His 38 goals lapped the field in Springfield, with the second place finisher (Gilbert Brule) a full 25 goals behind him. Aside from that, there was only one other Falcon in double digits (Colin McDonald, 10) and there were really only 4 forwards who helped at all offensively (Brule, Ryan Stone, Schremp, Linglet after he arrived) aside from #17.
In order for Potulny to make the opening night roster some things will have to break for him. He’ll need to count on Pat Quinn to decide Steve MacIntyre can’t help, that it is worth risking waivers for Rob Schremp, that Liam Reddox doesn’t bring enough and that Jason Strudwick is still a better option for 7D than Theo Peckham.
Those are all considerations. However, Potulny gives the coach all kinds of options up front and has played center in the NHL (he was 43.5% in 278 sorties as a Flyer a few years ago). I think he’s the 14F.
- Boxcars: 8gp, 0-3-3 0pims
- Shots: 9
- Plus Minus: +2
- Corsi: -0.7
- GF/GA ON: 4-2
- 5×5/60: 2.15
- 5×4/60: 0.00
- Quality of Competition: dregs
- Quality of Teammates: 2nd level
- FO %: 10% on 10 sorties
- 09-10 Cap Hit: $.595k (capgeek)
- What do these numbers tell us? Not much, there’s not enough weight behind the numbers. He didn’t shoot a lot but we know that’s a strength, and the numbers are good so we need to give some credit despite the fact it’s only 8 games. It’s also interesting that Potulny got better linemates than all of the other callups a year ago.
- How Could these numbers be better? Potulny did well with his at-bats, after that we’re just guessing.
- What about Schremp? What about Schremp? Look he’s talented but betting on him to beat out even one other option is a poor plan. I’m suggesting Potulny will outlast a half dozen guys in order to to win the final roster spot. What about Rob Schremp’s career would suggest that he’s the man?
- What about a 4th “energy” line? I’ve mentioned this before, but should a “Falcon” line of say Potulny-Stone-Reddox perform well in camp there’s a chance they’ll hire the whole bunch of them. A new coach might be looking for some early chemistry or to shuffle the deck and this might be an option.
- How Important is Potulny to this team? No importance beyond having some skills that are in short supply (shooter) and he’s terribly inexpensive.
Prediction for 2009-10: 66gp, 9-12-21 (.318)