RE 09-10: The G

The Edmonton Oilers have zero “goalies in their prime” and their starter has some injury concerns. The two possible backups are unproven and in one case have no NHL experience at all.

I should mention that there’s little chance they run with this group throughout the season. The only way this works is if Khabibulin plays 65 games and he hasn’t been that active since 2002-03.

The Oilers first 20 games of the season are a killer, they play the 70′s Habs pretty much every night. I think it would be very easy for Quinn to do what MacT did: ride that nag ’till it drops and in the case of Khabibulin that’s probably what will happen.

The one position that could fall apart for this team in a quick hurry is goaltender. Should that happen, we might be looking at the lottery again.

My final tally for the 09-10 Oilers

• GF: 255
  • GA: 247

That’s not a playoff team, but I’ve always maintained they’re not finished. We’ll see.

26 Responses to "RE 09-10: The G"

1. Coach pb9617 says:

Looks like someone's smuggling cantaloupes.

2. Fake Craig McTavish says:

I have a feeling the goalies won't be getting a lot of attention here.

3. Smytty777 says:

I had to re-read this post like 4 times. It's almost impossible to concentrate on reading with that photo beside the text.

I suppose I should say something about the Oilers goaltending but I'm too rattled right now.

4. Promethian says:

Was the photo the silver lining for your doom-and-gloom prognostication of the tenders?

Bah, who cares.

5. Gerta Rauss says:

I like the format where you post for each player,then do a recap of your RE for that position.

Now I'm off to buy cantaloupes.

6. mc79hockey says:

+8 looks like a playoff team to me, or damned close.

MC: Third in their division, but I don't know if it gets them in.

8. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Miss Direction at its finest.

9. Oilman says:

best

picture

ever

What was the post about again?

10. doritogrande says:

Hey, there's some damn nice things in the lottery again this year.

Some big defensemen with offensive upside in Cam Fowler, Erik Gudbranson and Alex Petrovic. A banner year for Russians (say what you want, we've been seeking a Euro flavour the last couple drafts), oh, and did I mention Taylor Hall?

It's not a Tavares/Hedman draft, but there sure are some nice shiny cherries out there. Or are they firm juicy canteloupes? Dammit LT!

11. spOILer says:

A hot midget for a pic, pretty apropos, 'cept that it represents the goalies. But then again Salma is a show-stopper.

Well-padded too.

As far as strategy goes, I would go the exact other way. Tell Khabib he's sitting for the first 20 and find out immediately what you have behind him. Automatically shortens his season, and trends his efforts to the latter half. Gives the GM more time to make amends.

I would walk up to JDD in TC, blow smoke up his ying yang, and tell him I want him, not Niko, starting the season opener. See what happens from there.

The longer they hide from the goal-tending situation, the worse it is going to be.

12. spOILer says:

Shit I look at that pic again (well hell why not) and have to admit there is a certain Face Palm aspect too that I certainly missed earlier.

And it would be tough to disagree with that commentary on the present 09-10 backstops.

13. Lord Bob says:

That reminds me, have to check my tire pressure.

The only thing more inflated than that woman is Nik Khabibulin's reputation.

14. Jonathan Willis says:

Of course, the one time my wife takes an interest in what hockey stuff I'm reading this picture is up ;)

15. Scott Reynolds says:

I would think +8 should be good enough for the playoffs but it does leave them on the bubble. Last year, six of the playoff teams were worse than +8 but two of the teams that missed were better (Minnesota at +19 and Buffalo at +16). In 2007-08 four teams made it with less than +8 and only one team that was better missed (Buffalo again, this time with +13). In 2006-07 one team that was worse made it in (plus one more at +8 on the dot) and the Avalanche missed the cut despite a GD of +21. Finally, 2005-06 saw three teams get in with less than +8 (Goilers!) and no one took the shaft.

To sum up, only four teams since the lockout have been +8 or better and missed the playoffs while fifteen teams were +8 or worse and still found a way in so if everyone performs to their "reasonable expectations" I think it's fair to say that we should be looking at a playoff team.

16. Coach pb9617 says:

The only silver lining in an NHL season with Olympic hockey is that shitty teams don't send a bunch of players to the tournament, so they are rested. Vancouver has a chance to send seven players and Calgary five, whereas Edmonton will only send three.

In this case, an ancient and injury-prone goalie is going to get a three week rest in the middle of the season.

It's the little things when you're an Oilers fan.

17. doritogrande says:

whereas Edmonton will only send three.

Tom Gilbert
    Denis Grebeshkov
    Lubomir Visnovsky
    Ales Hemsky
    Patrick O'Sullivan

18. boopronger says:

gilberts a long shot to make that team.

19. rider guy says:

Why do I think that Black Dog is furiously looking through the kitchen cupboards for a ziplock bag?

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Gilbert and O'Sullivan aren't likely to make that squad.

21. PDO says:

Khabibulan is unlikely to make that team, but…

And how exactly is Gilbert a long shot?

USA invited 12 D, you have to figure 8 make the team:

Gilbert, Gleanson, Hainsey, Johnson, Johnson, Komisarek, Martin, Orpik, Rafalksi, Scuderi, Suter, Whitney.

Is he a lock?

No, but pretty much the only player on that team that is a lock is Rafalski…

22. Matt N says:

Infamous Salma Hayek snake dance.

23. danny says:

Inglorious snake dance?

24. Art Vandelay says:

I can't get past, "The."

25. Bruce says:

I'm with MC and Scott that +8 is enough. It's not like we're talking about "8 games over .500", GF and GA actually sum out to zero league wide. Given that 8 teams of 15 make the dance, a team that breaks even in GF-GA is slightly more likely to be in than out (i.e. they should be near the centre of the Bell curve meaning 8th place).

26. RiversQ says:

+8 probably would get you in. Well, as long as you don't get shafted in the shootout, that should be enough. I'm not so sure they're that good though. The team is probably status quo or worse in all aspects except improvement from Gagner and Cogliano. No pressure youngsters, but if you're not legit top sixers, then this year is going in the toilet.