The Last Schremp on the Plate

Rob Schremp really should have signed his two-way deal a long time ago. Things that may have kept this from getting done include the agent and player holding out for a one-way deal (crazy talk), the organization having a list of priorities that had Schremp at the every end of the list (not likely) or that there’s a gap between the two sides in terms of value for this player.

It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for the Oilers to just let him go. Schremp has not developed as had been hoped and the odds he’ll get a top 6F forward job on the big club aren’t great. If the player and the agent are so confident Schremp would be claimed when sent out in the fall, a 2-way deal would be no problem.

I suspect the kid wants a trade to a new town, and this last gasp is his way of getting noticed before signing on the dotted line.

If he was my son I think we’d have a talk about Europe. Finland or Sweden, maybe even Russia. Head over there, get some attention and maybe the Oilers trade him for a pick in the next 12 months.

I don’t think he makes the big club, especially considering Pat Quinn’s recent comments on possible lines:

“I’ve been historically a 4-line guy. You’re looking for balance. But me may not have that kind of roster. We may need to have a checking line, a slug line and two scoring lines. I am not pre-judging any of that.”

Let’s take a guess at the lines:

• Scoring line 1: Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
  • Scoring line 2: Gagner-O’Sullivan-Cogliano
  • Checking line: Pouliot-Moreau-Pisani
  • Slug line: Brule-Jacques-Stortini

That leaves out Nilsson, Potulny, Reddox, MacIntyre, Schremp. If we look at those 12 jobs and ask the question “how many of those jobs could Rob Schremp be considered for based on the current depth chart?” what is our answer?

58 Responses to "The Last Schremp on the Plate"

1. Black Dog says:

Well the obvious job would be Horcoff's first of all …

This guy had a lot of bad timing, if the Oilers had been as much of a mess up front starting 06/07 as they were a year later I would have bet he would have gotten a shot but they weren't and then the next fall he was recovering from injury and he got passed by Cogliano, Gagner and Nilsson and they had acquired Penner.

So its not all bad timing.

He needs to hope for a serious run of injuries in camp.

2. Bank Shot says:

Schremp skates like a slug….

Sure would be nice if Schremp-Brule-Nilsson could form a 4th line that would be able to take some advantage of the other slug lines. That's a nice dream, but I don't think we're lucky enough for it to come true.

3. oil dude says:

Maybe the Oilers are trying to get him sign for $550K NHL money before they complete the Heatley trade so that they have a cheap offensive option to stay under the cap…

Nah forget that, Schremps camp is convinced he will get claimed on waivers and is holding out for more than the Oilers want to pay?

4. gogliano says:

Is "slug line" a 50ism?

If I start a blog it will be devoted to Pat Quinnisms.

So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you’d say. Now where were we? Oh yeah — the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones…

5. raventalon40 says:

I could see both Stone and Schremp challenging for the extra spots on the roster, but the Falcons could probably make better use of his talents than the Oilers.

I still think Schremp is a good player but if he signed in Dynamo Moscow he'd probably get the attention the Oilers need him to get. A la Linus Omark.

6. Art Vandelay says:

Did Quinn really say "slug line?" Beauty.

I never could get on board with hockey's "reimagining" the no-talent plugs as the "energy" line.

7. mjsh says:

I would bet that Nillson is in the top nine forwards at the end of camp. I truly believe that he got it at the end of last year.

Horpenski
    the kid line
    O'sullivan, Moreau, Pisani
    The slug line

Kinda like the sound of that.

8. edmontonhockeyblog says:

@Lowetide, LMAO at post title.

@Gogliano, As for Quinn's sayings, what exactly is a 'prancing dan'? I mean from his interview, he was referring to our dmen and it was clearly a pejorative comment.

9. Travis Dakin says:

@Bank Shot

I've been thinking a lot about that. What's the harm in keeping Schremp and Nilsson around as your 4th line with Brule? Keep Stortini and JFJ as the 13th and 14th and sub them in when the going is tough. Until then go with 3 scoring lines and a checking line.

Horcoff-Penner-Hemsky
    Gagner-Cogliano-O'Sullivan
    Brule-Schremp-Nilsson
    Pouliot-Moreau-Pisani

Brule-JFJ-Stortini when you need some jam.

Roll the top 6 Dmen with Strudwick as the 7th.

You'd have Schremp around as an extra PP and shootout option and I think it might be a good experiment to have a flashy scoring line trying to capitalize on other teams roster filler.
    I'm not sure what the salary cap numbers would be but I'd like to see that method tried. Am I crazy?

10. Sign Johnny Bower says:

"What's the harm in keeping Schremp and Nilsson around as your 4th line with Brule?"

All 3 stink??

11. Travis Dakin says:

@Sign Johnny Bower

Ok well aside from the obvious….. HAHA

12. Ed says:

the problem is there really aren't any nights in the nhl when the going isn't tough. and if a schremp brule nilsson line happened they'd see what 4-6 minutes at most against the other teams worst line. If, and it's a big if, that line were to outplay the other team's worst I doubt the other coach would wait long before rolling three lines.

lots of line combos out there, i'm looking forward to see who wins a job in camp and who can hold onto it.

13. raventalon40 says:

It'd be the bulldog line all over again.

But I've seen both Brule and Nilsson backcheck. The only question mark is can Schremp maintain the style of play he had for the 4 game callup? So far it doesn't look that great since he ran out of gas when he got sent down. But he did forecheck and backcheck when he was with us for 4 games.

14. PunjabiOil says:

Lowetide, here are a series of interviews that you may be interested in:

Brule, Jay-Bo, and Comrie

15. Bruce says:

Brule-JFJ-Stortini when you need some jam.

When exactly don't you need jam?

16. RiversQ says:

I always forget what "jam" is in hockey. It means the ability to play the whole game in your own end without the puck, right?

We should have lots of jam on our 4th line options.

17. Travis Dakin says:

@Bruce

When playing a team that has a bunch of filler to get under the cap? Maybe take advantage of the other teams "MacIntyre's"

I don't know, try a different approach maybe? It was just a thought.

18. Matt N says:

A quick look at the archive on the side of your blog lists 27 "tags" for Schremp.

Horcoff and Penner, two actual NHL players, who are also lightning rods for controversy on the Oilogosphere, have a combined 24 "tags".

I just want him gone so I don't have to hear or talk about him anymore, other than the occasional KHL linescore update from a fanboy.

19. NBOilerFan says:

I agree LT, its time for them to cut bait with Schremp unless he is simply willing to spend yet another year on the farm with an outside chance of a call-up. I would say the delay in getting resigned is a strong signal that is not the case.

I see Shremp and Nilsson as very similar type players except that Nilsson has proved he can skate and can back-check. The only way that Schremp has a shot here, IMO, is if they feel they need the skill-set that these players bring and decide to move out Nilsson and replace him with a cheaper version. But you also end up with a lesser version, so I don't see that as a very attractable option.

My guess is that they will bring him to training camp and give him 2-3 games in camp to let Quinn/Renney access him and make a quick decision, either sign him up or let him go (for anything you can acquire or nothing, whatever the case may be).

20. Peter says:

How bout:

O'Sullivan-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Nilsson-Gagner-Penner
    Cogliano-Pouliot-Pisani
    Moreau-Brule-Stortini
    Jacques

Gagner praised Nilsson a few times last year for his vision and creativity. 2 small guys that could use a big truck like Penner. 3rd line would have a little offence, and they can skate, 4 line can grind. Jacques can step in when Moreau breaks his foot/ankle or dislocates his shoulder.

21. LMHF#1 says:

Man is that bottom six ever bad LT. And that Top six can be shut down on way too many nights.

This could really hurt.

22. DBO says:

i realize teams do not want to give up on their young players, but i wonder if we would not have been better served just not tendering some of our rfa's contracts and replacing them with cheaper veterans. for the same price or cheaper we could have let pouliot, Brule, Shremp, jacques (last year) walk. And replced them with Yelle, Betts, Kostopolous, Malhotra. yelle and betts will sign for $600K (yelle just did), Kostopolous was like $780K, and Malhotra at this point will sign for around $1.2 million. We are weighed down with cvontracts on young tweeners who will never crack our top 6, and don't have the right skills to play bottom 6. There are going to be a lot of cheap veteran options to fill out your roster every year if you give yourself contarct space (which we do not have).

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    O'Sullivan-Gagner-Cogliano
    Moreau-Malhotra-Pisani
    Kostopolous-Betts-Stortini

That is a veteran team, can roll 4 lines, bring grit, size and balance.

23. ian says:

So far we have been unable to add any sanding grit to our line up.
    It looks like internal improvements are going to be a major focus for the coaching staff.As earlier mentioned the team played soft in too many games last year.
    This exercise seems a bit like continually flipping the channels at 2 am..
    Accept it, there is nothing on but infomercials.

24. Bruce says:

Nope, it means having guys who are able to stand up for themselves and when necessary, for their teammates. Call me old school if you like, but IMO if you don't have that, you have no chance.

Oilers had jam in insufficient supply in 2008-09 (again IMO) and were an easy team to play against way too many nights, especially when MacT dropped to three lines early. Once Cole had departed, our top 9 forwards and top 4 defencemen included only two players who consistently play what I'd describe as a physical game (Souray, Moreau). Yet there are those on the 'sphere who would run those guys out of town and/or remodel our fourth line around the likes of Rob Schremp.

Maybe if we had a team in the Lingerie Hockey League …

25. Mr DeBakey says:

OK
    You're old school!

I can't believe I still see Schremp's name mentioned,
    the guy sucks and has zero chance of playing for the Oilers.
    There is this reality disconnect,
    Schremp can help the Oilers = Obama is instituting Death Panels.
    Its crazy!

"Maybe if we had a team in the Lingerie Hockey League …"

Just imagine
    Reading about the Edmonton Silks
    on Lowecuttop every day

26. quain says:

Considering Horcoff and Penner both had fights under their belts last year, I'd say they had some jam, under your definition. Sam Gagner fighting Ryan Kesler sounds like some Grade A BruceJam. Steve Staios was in our top four for the stretch run, he's Jamtastic.

No wonder we made the playoffs, we're basically the Ducks!

27. Bruce says:

Edmonton Edibles, surely.

28. Carson says:

"And that was it. That's the problem when you're one dimensional though. Brodziak, Pouliot, Stortini, Thoresen – all can do things Schremp cannot."

What, exactly, does Pouliot do? He's really the sore spot for me. He doesn't really score enough (although he picked up a couple points last season off of some nifty Schremp feeds), he doesn't kill penalties, he doesn't hit. What's the angle on this guy. He's been on or near the big club for five seasons now and I still don't know what kind of angle he has. Schremp may be one-dimensional, but at least he has a dimension.

29. quain says:

He's fairly defensively responsible, he can put up points at an okay clip, he could probably kill penalties but MacT was loathe to use him, and he can win a faceoff. He's vanilla, but there's nothing wrong with vanilla. Schremp is whatever delicious flavour your heart can imagine, but someone pissed in the tub.

30. LMHF#1 says:

Pouliot's not positionally skilled enough or a qualified skater to play the PK.

He's forgotten how to play in the corners, which was his most valuable asset.

Maybe he finds his game and improves, but I doubt it.

I wish he could shoot a puck. If we had a bunch of guys like him, but they could at least shoot the puck well, our team wouldn't be half bad. I have no idea why we're so adverse to picking up guys with a great wrister or slapper.

31. Bruce says:

//Oilers had jam in insufficient supply in 2008-09 (again IMO) and were an easy team to play against way too many nights … our top 9 forwards and top 4 defencemen included only two players who consistently play what I'd describe as a physical game //

I'm not saying the players have no jam, just that on a night-in night-out basis the Oilers collectively don't have enough. Just cuz Horcoff and Gagner each had one fight over the last two years when somebody finally pushed them too far, doesn't transform either of them into a hard-nosed player. Don't get me wrong, I've got all day for both of those guys, but the team simply has too many big-minute players who have very little physical edge. Who's worried about going into a corner with Hemsky, Cogliano, Nilsson, Pouliot, Visnovsky, Grebeshkov, Gilbert … ? We badly needed Cole to work out, but in the end flipped him for yet another softish skill guy in O'Sullivan.

Steve Tambellini has identified the problem, but so far has done nothing to solve it. I for one am getting antsy about that.

32. SK Oiler Fan says:

What? Only 35 comments for the most interesting man in the Oilogosphere?

If Schremp is no longer spurring on 100 plus comments / post what good is he?

33. Steve says:

You know, the more I look at the condition of this team, the more I'm convinced we're going to be terrible this year. You should all take heart in that, because I am always wrong (I don't mean that in the Jason Gregor sense, obviously, or it would be capitalized). Here are some of the views I have held on the Oilers in recent years:

1. Ty Conklin would prove himself as a legitimate number one goalie (2005).
    2. Fernando Pisani was emblematic of the mediocrity that characterizes the Oilers' recent history, and shouldn't be in the NHL (2005).
    3. The Oilers would make the playoffs in 2008-2009 (2008).
    4. The Penner RFA signing would turn out pretty good for us (2007).
    5. The Oilers would lose to the Wings, probably in four or five games (2006).
    6. The Oilers would lose to the Sharks, probably in four or five games (2006).
    7. Ryan Stone is the solution to the Oilers' first line left-wing problem (now and forever).
    8. Joffrey Lupul would turn out great (2006).
    9. The Oilers would make the playoffs in 2007-2008 (2007).
    10. The Oilers would make the playoffs in 2006-2007 (2006).

So I'd say it's pretty much safe to assume that we'll go all the way this year.

34. Oilmaniac says:

Good point DBO,

"Edmonton Edibles",.. hehe…
    There must be a cheesy tie in with the aforementioned 'Jam' line…

PB&J line (Poo Brule Jacques) hehe..

35. NBOilerFan says:

Oh, hear we go again with Lowetide's blind obsession with Pouliot, putting him on the "checking" line and Brule on the "slug" line.

Brule has 171hits in 157gms for 1.09 hits/gm and went 193/411 on the dot for a 47.0% average faceoff percentage.

Pouliot had 106 hits in 141gms for0.75 hits/gm and is 326/664 for49.1% on the dot.

I say put Brule on the "Checking" line and MAP on the "Slug" line.

;-)

36. TC91 says:

Just curious, does anyone have the stats on Schremp's faceoff % from when he used to play centre?

37. Traktor says:

Harping on Schremp is fine and dandy but seeing the same people list Pouliot as a 3rd line C and Gagner as our savior is just fucking ridiculous.

Pat Quinn has said that he likes to rely on one defensive pairing and one center. I hate to be a prick but we have a bunch of grow men that can't connect the dots on coloring book.

Its pretty clear at this point that Shawn Horcoff will be sent out for the majority of own zone draws this year. We also know that Pat Quinn isn't going to be micromanaging the game.

If you still think that Horcoff will be playing with Hemsky then you obviously haven't been paying attention. Horcoff will be playing on a checking line this year, plain and simple.

If you're advocating starting Hemsky in the defensive zone with Horcoff then you need to slashed in the head by Marty McSorley.

38. rickibear says:

Chaecking line?
    You mean our #1 Even line!
    The tough comp outscoring line.

They will face the best, outscore them and say to the rest, "we outscored and moved the puck from the defensive zone. Do your job boys and beat the soft comp."

Nilsson-Horcoff-Pisani

As for schremp, At camp last fall cornet and eberle looked more NHL ready than thebforward with desjardin based comp of no better than 49 points.

39. Mr DeBakey says:

Nilsson-Horcoff-Pisani

That’s interesting
    I've often wondered why Nilsson hasn’t been killing penalties.

That leaves
    O'Sullivan between Penner & Hemsky
    Gagner between Cogliano & thecaptainethanmoreau
    Pouliot between Jacques & Stortini

Potulney & McDonald in the pressbox

Very interesting

40. uni says:

A nice package for Gagne, a trade for picks to reduce salary, and Tanguay signed for 3 years at 3 million would probably make me quite happy depending on what was given up in the trades.

The odds of that happening are nil, but it's nice to dream.

Any combination of Horcoff, Hemsky, Gagne, Tanguay in the top 6, complimented by whoever's left of Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Penner would be too much to hope for.

41. kris says:

Traktor,

I've been a proponent of trying Horcoff-Pisani for a while now, but I think you're going overboard a wee bit. In fact, it might not work so well and even if it does it probably won't help the team where it counts: 5×5 goal differential.

You see, we need two lines who can play tough opposition, and each of them needs to be able to start some shifts in our end.

If you go:

X-Horcoff-Pisani
    Penner-Gagner-Hemsky

You can play Hemsky more often in the offensive zone, creating more goals.

However,

A.) You have to find a good player to fit in on Horcoff's port side. Moreau's too slow, old and inclined to penalties for that role. Penner is okay defensively, but if you're going to try to shelter Hemsky from starting in our own zone, you might as well shelter Hemsky to. The other options are guys who are too young and prone to mistakes: Pouliot, Cogliano, Nilson, Jacques, Reddox, etc.

This line might struggle defensively more than you think.

B.) More importantly, your second line may get burned PVP, and burned badly if they start in their own end.

Moreover, and this is a big deal, Corsi numbers suggest that Gagner isn't nearly as good at keeping the play moving forward as Horcoff. This means, even if Hemsky starts more shifts in the offensive zone as Gagner's wing, he still might end up pinned in his own zone, or dilly dallying in the neutral zone more often. Along the same lines, Hemsky's fancy dan moves work well some of the time, but he often loses the puck and needs his teamates to recover to prevent a great chance going the other way. Horcoff is better at that.

I suppose it all depends on where Gagner's at, but it's likely the kid is still gonna struggle against tough opposition and that just makes him a poor candidate to play with Hemsky.

You could put O'Sullivan at center, but he's never shown that he can outscore and outshoot the league's best. Again, you plug a hole by moving Horcoff, but it just causes another hole to arise.

Finall, and I know this is blasphemous given that Hemsky has put up okay goal differential numbers 5×5 away from Horcoff, but I really think it's uncertain how much he contributes to an outscoring PVP line. Obviously, he brings offense, but I'm not sure whether a Hemsky without Horcoff line would bleed goals and shots against against tough competition. (I'm all for trying, but I don't know if it's a sure thing to succeed.)

C.) As Coach has reminded us over and over and over again, Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky is a fantastic damn line.

Why not just put it back together and bring in a cheap 3C?

42. kris says:

I mean, 'shelter Penner too'

43. kris says:

Also, I should't say Moreau is too slow. He just isn't very good.

44. Mr DeBakey says:

Kris, you're talking to yourself.

Next thing, you'll have yourself talked up to $3.75mm each year for 4

45. kris says:

Oh Mr. Debakey, you so crazy.

46. anonymous says:

"Schremp can help the Oilers = Obama is instituting Death Panels".

And now that the Dems have _deleted_ the "death panels" that weren't there, maybe the Oilers can delete the elite prospect that never was.

47. spOILer says:

On a related note (not to Schremp, but to line philosophy)…

Anyone read the excerpt from Boudreau's new book posted on Mirtle today?

His strategy sounds essentially the same as the "full court press" in basketball.

48. Master Lok says:

If Schremp fails to make the team (again) and passes through waivers (much to his surprise I imagine), I wonder if he will get his moment of clarity. In a Marty Reasoner-like way, who also thought he was an offensive skilled centre until he passed through waivers and no one wanted him, it might take that level of shock to… well shock him.

Is there a job at centre available on the Oilers? Absolutely. if Schremp turned himself into the next Reasoner, he might have a chance. But I think it would take a Reasoner like thunderbolt to strike.

49. Oilmaniac says:

"Steve Staios was in our top four for the stretch run, he's Jamtastic"…

Money line (better in full context, but anyways, was a big fan)…

50. NBOilerFan says:

I will really be shocked if Tambellini doesn't at the very least sign Betts before Game 1 of the regular season. And that is only if he cannot find a trading partner before that to make a better deal.

I suspect Tambellini is trying very hard to make a more substantial deal, but has a fall back plan that involves Quinn/Renney assessing the prospects in the first 3-4 preseason games, and will try to fill some holes with a cheap veteran or two once Quinn makes his assessment on the priorities.

51. PunjabiOil says:

In other news, Heatley's camp has indicated they will report to Ottawa's training camp if a trade cannot be agreed upon.

Pretty much should spell the end, if it hasn't already, to any possibility that Dany Heatley will be an Edmonton Oiler.

Zherdev is still available. The Oilers can easily make room for him by trading Staios or Pisani.

Can Ottawa afford him now?

53. kris says:

LT,

Cap geek says that Ottawa would be over the cap by, I think, like 1.6 MM.

They don't really have many ways of dumping salary easily.

But they could dump Smith, via waivers or trade, and replace him with something really cheap and that would get it done.

The resulting team has a piss cutter core of forwards, but is thin after that.

54. geowal says:

Looks like Ottawa has to shed >1.1 mil in salary

55. linnaeus says:

If the problem is that we don't have enough jam there is an easy solution.

Penner, Horcoff, Pisani
    Jacques, Gagner, Hemsky
    Cogliano, O'Sullivan, Stortini
    Moreau, Brule, McDonald

Your minutes of jam on ice go way up.

56. Ribs says:

Jacques with Gagner and Hemsky? If he can't beat his point total from last year on that line he might as well just end himself.

57. hunter1909 says:

Injuries kill young prospects like a WW1 trench raid.

Schremp shouldn't have got injured. If he didn't he might have made the team. Now, he joins all of the other busts, of the Lowe/MacT "We made it to the 7th game of the finals" dog and pony show.

58. Ribs says:

I'm really wondering what kind of contract the Oilers are offering up. Would it be something that would look less attractive to teams that would take him on waivers? What would that mean?