8 More sent Packing

This is Ryan Potulny celebrating a Sam Gagner goal in January. I always wonder about men like him passing through waivers every fall without being picked up by another team.

What is it? The man scored 38 goals on a team that didn’t give him much help a year ago, wouldn’t someone take a chance on him? Ryan Potulny has played in 52 NHL games and scored 7-10-17. In 2 full AHL (158 games) seasons he’s popped 71 goals which is a pretty nice total. Are there really 420 forwards available to NHL teams who are better than Ryan Potulny?

My answer is no. I believe NHL teams don’t pick up men like Potulny for several reasons: they’re protecting their young players who have to stay in the NHL or risk waivers; they’re going with the “devil they know” from their own club–and a good teammate is often an end-of-the-roster guy who has gained respect through TC; and there is probably something of a “gentleman’s agreement” with all of these AHL veterans being sent down at about the same time.

Potulny didn’t show much in training camp but he also didn’t have that featured role he enjoyed in Springfield. There’s talent there, but an expansion draft is probably his best hope for future NHL employment.

Here are the players sent out today, their cut date from a year ago (if they were an Oiler) and then some comments on where I ranked them on September 12th:

1. LW Ryan Potulny (Oct 2): I had him ranked right at the cusp of making the team (#15 overall) and one of the reasons was he was a very late cute one year ago (Schremp, Jacques and Brule were the only forwards sent down after him). This year there are more forwards to be dealt with and I suspect Potulny brought a kinfe to a gunfight: the Oilers are looking for energy guys with a mean streak as roster fills this fall. Among the players I ranked lower who are still here are Gilbert Brule (#16), Liam Reddox (#18), Ryan Stone (#19), Rob Schremp (#21), Jordan Eberle (#23), Kip Brennan (#25).
  2. LW Chris Minard (not an Oiler): I’m surprised he didn’t get a longer look, but then again the names who are getting the nudge (Stone, Brule, Brennan) bring more grit and energy to every shift than another skilled man like Minard. I’d still suggest that both Potulny and Minard are candidates for big league time this year.
  3. RW Ryan O’Marra (Sept 25): Another reminder that the organization is looking under every rock for grit and energy. O’Marra is not a strong candidate for the NHL and this cut was predictable and overdue.
  4. C Milan Kytnar (Sept 19): He lasted longer this season, but circumstance (there was a game in Saskatoon last night) may have played a part in it. I also think we can make a case for Kytnar showing well, he is stronger than some of the 20-year olds and an excellent forechecker. I’m surprised he is going back to junior and wonder aloud (ALOUD!) if this is some kind of favor to the Blades or at the very least a matter of stocking up the Falcons. I had him 33/36 on the original depth chart and he lasted a long time.
  5. D Dean Arsene (not an Oiler): I ranked him 10th and he played very well, turning some heads and getting a very nice comment from coach Quinn. He’s never played an NHL game and one suspects that might happen this winter. There are no defenseman ranked below Arsene who are still on the roster at this time.
  6. D Jake Taylor (Sept 25): He had a deeper run this season (the Oilers sent out Plante, Chorney, Peckham and put Roy on IR after he was sent down one year ago) and would have to be considered a possible for callup to the show. I had him ranked #11.
  7. D Alex Plante (Sept 28): He showed very well this TC and put himself in the mix for callup this season. Big man, still raw but there’s a toolkit there.
  8. D Bryan Young (Sept 25): A “feel good” story this fall, Young signed an AHL contract in the summer which ordinarily dooms a player to career minor league duty ala Potulny. However, Young showed the new staff that he could play and is also a guy who could get the call.

This basically puts the Oilers roster (with a few exceptions, Peckham is hurt and goalies Sorochan and Mucha haven’t been assigned that I’ve seen) at just a few above the required 23:

1. G Nikolai Khabibulin
  27. R Fernando Pisani
  28. R Zack Stortini
  29. R Ryan Stone
  30. R Robert Nilsson
  31. R Jordan Eberle*
  32. R Steve MacIntyre*

Players with an asterisk are the ones I believe will be sent out. A small change you may notice is that Ryan Stone now makes the team (by my estimate) and Steve MacIntyre gets placed on waivers. We should also be prepared for someone to be placed on IR should Eberle continue to play so well. I’ve chosen to keep Pouliot over Brule in terms of which player to protect from waivers, but you should know Jason Gregor (who has strong connections with the team and may know something) has Pouliot being swept away this fall.

89 Responses to "8 More sent Packing"

1. jon k says:

The clustering of AHL veterans together may also be due to the fact that a team may only put in one claim for players at a time. I'd imagine most teams wouldn't want to "blow their wad" on a Potulny when someone better might still be coming down the pipe in the next 24 hours.

2. Art Vandelay says:

Good point. It could also be that Potulny blows.
    Another September of no appreciable surprises. I'd like to know what the point of training camp is, when guys arrives in shape, and we now have to endure an 82-game exhibition season before the real fun starts.
    What do three weeks of glorified scrimmages with AHL scrubs prove?
    Is it so the rink rats can practice putting down sheets of ice?

Art: Well there are some decisions that can impact the team still to come. My list is conservative, Quinn's may not be and (obviously) is the one that counts.

I also think that Brule being put on waivers will cause a ripple with the fanbase.

4. reijo29 says:

I was told by a friend who is close to Sorochan that he was released by the organization yesterday. Not sure why there has not been an announcement yet.

HBOMB – Have you found Brugal in stores yet? It's been available almost a month now.

5. Schitzo says:

Night classes are the worst. Someone suggest a way to kill time for the next 3 hours.

Do you have a wife/girlfriend?

7. Schitzo says:

… Yes. I'll be home in just under 3 hours, so don't be too long with her.

8. uni says:

I took every chance to sleep when I was in school since I also worked. Find a nice quiet spot and have a little shuteye.

If sleeping on campus is a bit difficult then hit up a library or a computer lab and get all those projects/studying aside in those 3 hours so when you go home you have some time to do actual fun stuff.

Or if you have a girlfriend/wife…well I suppose you know what to do.

9. hunter1909 says:

I'm arranging for Chris Crocker to make an appeal on behalf of Schremp.

10. Gnash says:

Did you forget about Kip Brennan, LT? He's still around isn't he? I'm assuming that you don't think he sticks.

11. Schitzo says:

Find a nice quiet spot and have a little shuteye.

The problem is that I'm in a three hour class right now. My laptop isn't big enough to hide me when I sleep.

Gnash: I did and have added him. Thanks. He's one of those guys who would have been sent out imo if not for the fact Quinn wants more grit.

Schitzo: lol. Daydream. I grew up Jehovah's Witness and used to attend something called "an assembly."

This was a gathering of witnesses from a wide area (like a whole province or region) and generally took place in a massive building (I saw the Pacific Coliseum and Rexall for the first time at a Jehovah's Witness convention).

Anyway, these gatherings were extremely long and boring. I attended them from early age through about 15 (when I stopped going because I didn't believe it) and they took place on weekends. Friday night 5-11, Saturday 9a-10p and Sunday 9a-6p. Crazy stuff for a kid, and they expected you to sit in a seat and listen!!

I used to make up baseball lineups in my head and play games. I was always the Montreal Expos and often played Cincinnati because I loved the Reds. I'd keep track of the boxscore, make defensive changes and sum up the game's stars in my head.

I used to own a baseball game called APBA and learned that with a large amount of time, a touch of neurosis and a brain filled with baseball lineups the day FLEW by.

Would you like me to help with the batting order? :-)

14. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: That description sounds exactly like what they used to do at the Hanoi Hilton.

15. Jonathan Willis says:

Stone over Brule, huh?

Given what Brule cost to bring to the team (and the fact that Gregor swears up and down he has a spot) I can't see that happening.

16. Smarmy Boss says:

If Kytnar going back to Saskatoon is a favour to the Blades. Then it sure surprised Lorne Molleken.

If you live in a WHL city and Saskatoon comes to your town give them a look. A number of hockey people have said Lorne's system is about as close to the NHL game as you will find in junior hockey.

The Blades don't have any "stars" but they work hard and the play both ends of the ice excellent.

I bet you Kytnar's development will be leaps and bounds back in the dub then it will be in limited minutes at the AHL level.

Jonathan: I actually chose Pouliot over Brule so that's where Jason Gregor and I differ.

Jason doesn't believe Pouliot makes the team.

18. Tyler says:

I grew up Jehovah's Witness and used to attend something called "an assembly."

You and I have been trading hockey comments for what, 7 or 8 years now on the internet? I think of you as someone I know, oddly enough. I never in my life would have guessed that though. Weird stuff, this "knowing" people through the internet.

19. Smarmy Boss says:

One other thing I'll sneak in here. I bet you the Oilers would like to see Saskatoon acquire Eberle from the Pats. (Something that is possible if they tank early)

20. Tyler says:

Jason doesn't believe Pouliot makes the team.

Hmm. I don't know if I buy this. First of all, the trade for Heatley opened up a forward job with Cogliano and Penner leaving town. Second, they can send Brule to the minors without him having to clear waivers. Third, the Oilers have to be worried about the double cap, what with Horc making big scratch this year. Pouliot's contract must look attractive to them.

21. Schitzo says:

You know what, Tyler? You're a mean person, and sarcasm makes you ugly.

:-D

They never talked like this at the Kingdom Hall!! :-)

Tyler: It's not something I talk about a lot, so there's lots of people in my day-to-day life that don't know either. I try not to mention it because it usually ends up in a conversation about how awful my parents must have been when they were the best parents anyone could hope for in reality.

23. Schitzo says:

LT: If you don't mind me asking a personal question, did your parents end up leaving the faith as well, or did they stay the course?

And if they kept the faith, how did they respond to you walking away from it?

(Please feel free to just not answer, I realize that's quite a personal question)

YOU ARE WRONG

Wait a minute….

No worries, it's all good. I left the faith in the mid-70's when my Grandfather was disfellowshipped because he chewed tobacco and that was outlawed (seriously) by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in Bethel, New York.

That wasn't the reason, though. The reason was that because of his being "cast out" he was now someone outside the faith. I wasn't allowed to contact my Grandfather which was the silliest damn thing ever. I went from helping him on his farm to never seeing him (I was maybe 13) and it made no sense. I don't want to imply that it was some kind of grand intellectual statement I was making, it was a matter of being pissed off because I couldn't see him anymore. Just bloody stupid.

Anyway, we had our time when things weren't great (Mom and Dad did not attend my wedding because it was in a Catholic church) and they did remain Jehovah's Witnesses for their entire lives.

My Dad's funerals was a Jehovah's Witness funeral and my Mom's was not at her request, but we'd long since stopped discussing religion so can't say what her reasons were.

I will refrain from talking about their reaction to my not being a Witness as those issues are long gonen but not forgotten, but will say that imo people put way too much importance on specific religions as opposed to whether or not you're a good person.

Suspect most former Jehovah's Witnesses feel the same way and probably share that with a bunch of Catholics.

26. hunter1909 says:

Considering the paucity of offence coming from the bubble "forwards" so far, they might as well keep Schremp around for 20 games just in case he miraculously develops an NHL brain, and get Brule back to the AHL.

Jacques stays, just because he's big. That guy's got more lives than a cat.

27. Tyler says:

My favourite story in this regard involves my friend who was converting to Judaism in order to marry. He had to do courses and those people take things seriously – it's an Old Testament religion, in every sense possible. There was a Muslim fellow who was converting for a girl as well – unfortunately for him, he hadn't yet been circumcised. Hope the marriage worked out for him.

Tyler: lol. Damn women.

29. PunjabiOil says:

Couldn't be more right LT.

That's not to say religion is a bad thing. I myself try to practice Sikhim whenver I can. I'm just not a fan when people try to force their religions upon others.

30. Black Dog says:

Ouch.

I knew a guy in high school who was circumsized when he was 17 or 18. Can't remember the reason.

The poor guy. I remember he just looked in constant pain.

Can't imagine why.

And of course you can imagine the jokes, it was an all boys' school.

The thing about Brule is that he has not done a thing since he came to the Oilers. Nothing when he came up. Nothing much in the AHL. Not a great camp.

By all accounts Pouliot, always a slow starter, has been pretty good this fall so if they ship him out instead of Brule I call BS on that.

Pouliot hasn't lit the world on fire but he's still leaps and bounds ahead of Brule.

31. Bruce says:

LT: I too was a true believer when it came to APBA baseball. Played it for years.

32. bookie says:

As someone raised in a Catholic household (not really a devoted one though) I am totally aware of how awesome my religion is and how strange and freaky everyone else's is.

Not sure how many of you have read Kiss Hanks Ass or the video of Kiss Hanks Ass

Anyway, its a funny commentary on region that reminds me a bit about LT's moment when he realized how silly the rules of his family's religion was.

Eat your wieners on buns, no condiments!

The video and story is funniest when you don't know its about religion.

33. Schitzo says:

The video and story is funniest when you don't know its about religion.

Well then thanks for nothing, dick.

34. bookie says:

By the way, I really want to stongly emphasize that the above statement is dripping with sarcasm, just in case someone took it seriously.

The man with the big beard who made people out of clay and then turned some people to stone and then sent his son to play for a while and then….

Seems no more logical to me than that the world being carried around the sun on a turtle.

I totally feel that who you are is the true measure of a person and it doesn't matter if you pray to bacon or you pray to tofu… as long as you make the cut to the big leagues at the end and don't get sent down to the farm, cause they kill you and eat you at the farm!

Keep that in mind bubble boys!

35. bookie says:

Weird stuff, this "knowing" people through the internet.

Yes, its pretty interesting! For the last few years, about 80% of my life has been very work oriented (my career kind of has a work hard for a few years and then chill out for 30 vibe). I really enjoy taking a few minutes (hours) out of the day to chat about hockey, life, and now religion with a bunch of people who I could bump into in the street and not have a clue who you are…

Its a nice break.

36. flamingpavelbure says:

I dropped Catholic religion when a priest talked to me of the ''Vow of Poverty'' and ''helping the poor'' while i was watching that 20 Quarat giant statue of Jesus.

(Sorry if i made mistakes in that sentence, I'm a silly frenchmen)

37. flamingpavelbure says:

Note: Yes it was at the Church, not a private statue

38. Asiaoil says:

Nilsson, Schremp and Brule for Colby Armstrong – end of problem – not like it will happen but that's the kind of deal we need. A bunch of young guys for someone who can help now.

39. Black Dog says:

bookie – work hard for a few years and then chill out for the rest of your life?

Is that you Sheldon?

I'd say Lubo but your English is too good.

40. Coach pb9617 says:

This is why I will always worship at the Church Of Kurri.

41. flamingpavelbure says:

Kovalchuk-White-Antropov
    Armstrong-Little-Kozlov
    Afinogenov-Peverley-Kane

Why the hell would Atlanta do that?

(Peverley 35 points in 39 trashers games and +15 WOW)

42. B.C.B. says:

Schitzo, I am that guy that takes off makes for folks reading the internet in class. But I might make an exception for students reading Lowetide (or my blog).

43. flamingpavelbure says:

B.C.B : Wut? What kind of teacher are you boy? Why would you care if we got 90%'s while doing that? That's BS. The only purpose that it serves is pissing off people!

44. Schitzo says:

BCB: Fortunately, that's an idle threat when the class is curved and every single student is equally bored :)

45. mc79hockey says:

My friend and I spent a not insignificant portion of Trusts (third year, second semester, jobs in our pockets) trying to trick a friend of ours into opening a picture that said COCK! BALLS! in huge pink font that everyone behind her would see. We'd email it to her "Pics from So and So's Wedding." She was tough to get.

She got an A. We got B's. None of us have had to use trusts since.

46. Conan says:

What is it? The man scored 38 goals on a team that didn't give him much help a year ago, wouldn't someone take a chance on him? Ryan Potulny has played in 52 NHL games and scored 7-10-17. In 2 full AHL (158 games) seasons he's popped 71 goals which is a pretty nice total. Are there really 420 forwards available to NHL teams who are better than Ryan Potulny?

I remember Shaun Van Allen ripping it up in the AHL for years for the Oilers and they just refused to believe in him. The guy got 118 points one year! Can't remember his linemate's name – he scored a lot too if I recall correctly.

I just checked Van Allen's lifetime stats and he had a long career, but only once he finally left the Oilers at age 26. Here's hoping that Potulny will get a shot too somewhere someday.

Ladies and gentlmen: our future leaders!!!!

48. Wikiwonk says:

In the spirit of OT revelations, I thought I would contribute a couple of links. I don't know if these first two are suitable for anyone, really, but they crack me up. I was crying tears of one kind or another.

This one also cracks me up. First some pot shots at the Catholic concept of "the age of reason" then an encounter with some young Mormons striving for a call-up. 20m long. Fits nicely into a dull intermission.

49. Schitzo says:

None of us have had to use trusts since.

That makes me sad for you. They're noble.

50. Alice says:

/Stone over Brule, huh?

Given what Brule cost to bring to the team /

There have been a couple comments floated in this vein the last few days as we try to decipher the tea leaves and guess what's coming next. The other one this logic gets applied to is Nilsson (he was part of the Smyth deal) and so&so was a first rounder etc. All fair, for daydreaming.

But recall something fundamental to management economics, which is the notion of sunk cost. If I can buy a new loom today for 20 grand, and it saves me 30 grand in material and labour in the next year, then we'd agree it makes sense for me to buy it, right?

But if I just bought a brand-new loom 2 months ago and it cost me four hundred grand, how does that affect the decision? Of course it doesn't – the four hundred grand was a mistake that should get me fired, but the right decision now is still to take the shiny thing to the scrapyard, and spend yet another 20k to replace it. 400k is a sunk cost, immaterial to the decision, even if I'm still paying it off for the next 5 years.

Which is a long way of saying, if Nilsson's value is zero (ie. can't be traded for an asset/pick), or Bonsignore's, or Schremp's, or Brule's, nobody gives a damn what you paid to get them or how high they went in the draft. Those things reflect hopes and expectations of another time, like Nortel stock. The only thing that the GM and coach can consider now is 'what is the value of this player going forward'? Why would Quinn decrement his team's chances because somebody Used to think Nilsson was going to be the guy? The only value things have is present value and some future value that you can guess at. Past valuations (trades for, high round picks spent) mean exactly nothing. Zero. Unless you can use those ideas to help sell someone else on your has-been's or could-have's or tweeners.

And the notion of a lot of folks getting plucked off the wire this time of year, I don't know. There's 300 tweeners passing through the waiver – people are in Shrink mode – you really think the guys who didn't make the cut for 11th-place Oilers are going to be sifted out of that mess while everyone is trying to figure out how to Trim their ranks? Our rubbydubs are ~= their rubbydubs, even if we've grown fond of some of ours.

51. SK Oiler Fan says:

Was at the game in Saskatoon last night. A few comments on the cuts:

Plante – He must have been Nik Lidstrom in his other training camp games because he was awful in Saskatoon. Heavy feet is an understatement. Big, young D usually look awkward, but he stuck out in a bad way. I'd be surprised if he has more then a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Kytnar – good game last night, good skater, not much offense, but mistake free. Could be a 3rd line center if he continues to progress.

Potulny – tried to play a more physical game than usual. Made the smart, safe plays. Good hands

Arsene – Played a quiet effective game. Decent skater.

Minard – Did nothing special

Others:
    Eberle – Wow! So smooth, so smart. The puck follows him around. Sneaky fast. Better be prepared to at least slot him on a line for 9 games this year. Him, Pisani, Pou, and O'Sullivan were by far the best Oiler forwards.

Visnovsky – Was poor in his own end, but if he gets any room to break out he can gain the opposition blue line with ease.

Strudwick/Plante pairing was scary. If the puck stayed on Struds stick for more than a second it was trouble.

SMac – Best fight I've seen in a long time with some young Islander. What a reach! Throws all haymakers. Could end somebody's career with one punch.

JFJ – Definition of a coke machine. I know, big guys are deceiving, but I was expecting more speed. The puck was not his friend.

Stone – Could be a player, skates well, plays physical.

Pouliot – Obviously I'm not as big a fan of him as you LT, but I now see what you see in him. Skates well, showed better hands then I thought. Seemed to be really paying attention to the defensive side of the game. Often the last forward out of his end and was usually on the defensive side of the puck

DD – he's an eclipse of the net, but needs to work on his puckhandling.

Tambellini – NYI – Wow, he's a player. Great hands.

Sorry, a little lengthy.

52. Bruce says:

Sorry, a little lengthy.

No need to apologize when the signal-to-noise ratio is so high. Thanks for the report, SKOF.

Bruce: I had the 1970 APBA. Johnny Bench's card was sublime.

54. Ribs says:

First MacT clip on the TSN site. Good stuff.

55. Oilman says:

That's a profound statement right there LT. I lived in the deep south for a year or so while dating a gorgeous little Southern Baptist. Being catholic myself, I heard a lot of what I would call disgraceful, hurtful comments directed my way by people who would go sit and church on Sundays crying about being saved and speaking in tongues…seriously! Organized religion is basically the downfall of the religious. Good people, until religion is mentioned – then it's all hellfire and brimstone.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

56. Lord Bob says:

BELGIUM SURVIVES.

57. Dennis says:

I was raised Anglican by my grandparents in outport Newfoundland so you'd better believe religion was a big part of my upbringing.

My Mother was and is a super nice person who always put others before herself and that along with her no swearing rule are what I remember most as her faith manifestations.

Note: I have heard her swear but once in her life: it happened the first time I came home drunk and she called me a little fucker.

Anyway, my Dad seemed to lose his faith just a little as he got older but Mom has stayed the course. I went to church with my folks every Sunday right up until I graduated HS and moved away from home – there's a great story about me getting drunk after an Easter Sunday service – and I sorta didn't tell them that the older I got the more I drew away from what I used to believe in.

I thought it would only hurt them so I bit my tongue over a few things and I still go to church with my Mom when I go home to visit her.

Now, what I see from Mom these days is she's still old school but she's also a golden ruler: which is basically what LT is getting at when he says what religion means to him.

I know where the Anglican faith orginated from and I always get a kick out of that but there's also other relgions that make me mad because they put so much faith and power onto their ministers or leaders or what have you.

I march to the beat of my own drummer and I'm not conventional in the least but more and more I believe that even if there isn't an almighty power – and I sorta waver on it all – it's a cool enough idea if the idea of said power gives people peace.

58. Lord Bob says:

I believe in the power of Rob Schremp to heal the afflicted power play.

59. digger says:

You're likely thinking of Dan Currie, as far as I know the only Oilers prospect to ever score 50 goals in the AHL…and he did it twice.

Absolutely lethal hands in close, but a lumbering skater and couldn't handle NHL level speed and decision making. One of the most talented AHL scorers I've ever seen that never had an NHL career to speak of.

60. jmcranston says:

LT:

Did Johnny Bench's 1970 APBA card have a 1 on 33? :)

I've never commented on your site before, and confess it took a reference to APBA to sign in. I loved that game. I know that many people preferred Strat-o-Matic, but I used to play APBA for hours on end with my dad and brothers during summer vacations (early '80s). What can I say, I was a statzi even back then. :) When I can't fall asleep, I run through my old APBA line-ups in my head.

This is a terrific site. I've learned so much – even about Tim Raines! – and your work is much appreciated.

Janet

61. SK Oiler Fan says:

Ribs,
    Mac T is a natural in front of the camera. I'm going to enjoy his insight this year.
    I'm interested to see how in depth he gets in talking about the Oilers. Traditionally the ex coaches and gms don't offer up much about their former teams.

62. bookie says:

I am only old, as opposed to really old. For example, our belt onions were already hollow plastic crap and they were clip on.

Anyway, seeing as it was either before my time or more likely I just didn't know any sports keeners, I have no clue what the heck APBA Baseball was.

So, I Googled it. Did you know that there is a version of it for the computer now? Well reviewed too.

63. bookie says:

Craig MacTavish's earlier interview about his move to TSN and the end of his time with the Oilers

Many of you may have seen this already, but I was looking for a link to his gig today and came across this which I had not seen before.

64. Ribs says:

SK – I'm hoping he opens up in that regard as well. He's much more articulate than the other coaches that have done commentary lately and I think that makes him more accessible to his feelings towards past players and situations. He's not one to put his foot in his mouth often.

All this talk about religion…I'm a bit of a Solipsist, myself. You're all really just inside my head.

65. mc79hockey says:

Watching today's thing, man, MacT should have punched Duthie in the face with that 2006 reference.

66. Rube Foster says:

APBA…should have known.
    I played Strat-o-matic baseball with my buddies for years. It very likely kept me out of jail or at the very least prevented me from becoming a teenaged father… hard to get a girl pregnant when you’re geeking it out in the basement with your baseball nerd buddies…
    LT, I put the strike shortened 1981 Mike Schmidt strat card up against your 1970 Bench APBA card any day of the week:)

67. RiversQ says:

Duthie should get decked daily. For no real reason other than being intolerable to watch.

Janet: Yes. 1. I can still remember the geeky thrill of playing out his season.

I think it's a great way to learn baseball strategy btw.

69. Racki says:

Hockey Noob had a post on Ryan Stone on his blog, Low On Oil (http://edmontonhockeyblog.wordpress.com). I hadn't read this post yet, but my thoughts were pretty much bang on with this post. Ryan Stone makes this team now. I hadn't really had any sort of expectation that he'd make the team until seeing him with O'Sullivan and Comrie. That line has been our biggest line in the pre-season. Ryan Stone is looking to be the Glencross this year (in the sense that his unlikely career was awakened with us). That line just seems to make sense.

As for who it pushes out, I actually completely agree about Brule. I'm scared he'll get picked up though. But he hasn't really done much (at least from what I've seen) as of yet. I think people want him to be that guy that was the #2 prospect behind prospect (until dropping in the draft, albeit only 4 spots) that they picture his contributions as being a bit more than they really are. Maybe I'm just missing it, but I think he needs more time in the AHL. And more importantly, I don't think Quinn has been impressed at all by his play. Not to say he doesn't like him… I just mean he hasn't caught his attention like Ryan Stone likely has.

70. B.C.B. says:

FPB: It is my job, you trying to run class discussion when half of it is checking MSM or watching movies.

Schitzo: Idle threat maybe but the class I TA in is not curved and participation is part of their mark. So it works.

71. Bruce says:

Welcome Janet! Assuming I'm not misreading your name (a la Alice) you are the first female I have ever encountered anywhere who had the slightest interest in APBA baseball. Good on you!

And good to see you again, Rube Foster. Great baseball name, that.

I had the 1970 APBA. Johnny Bench's card was sublime.

Given your big fat clue about Johnny Bench, surely you mean the 1971 APBA based on the 1970 season. I got the 1972, '73 and '74 editions, the latter two with the extra depth players on tearaway cardboard sheets and the whole shmear. I also got the two All-Time Great teams, and once staged a game where the #1 team — Babe Ruth (who did have a 1 on 33), Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams et al — against the 1972 Texas Rangers. Not too surprisingly, the Greats beat the Rangers 27-1, with Tom Grieve's late HR breaking up what was setting up to be a perfect game by Walter Johnson circa 1913. It shoulda been a mismatch, but there's just no arguing with a 66.

I also once played — legitimately, against a friend — a 36-inning classic between the Reds and the Giants, in which the afore-mentioned Johnny Bench hit a two-run dinger in the bottom of the 27th to extend it before the then-little-known George Foster finally won it with a solo blast. Foster thus became a favourite of mine, and several years later won an NL MVP with 52 real dingers for the Big Red Machine.

It got to the point where I could glance at a player's APBA card and know exactly how good a season he had. Learned a lot about dice and odds in the process. Not to mention baseball strategy, as you say. I had a whole different theory about #2 hitters which, years later, was surprisingly affirmed by Bill James.

DH was coming in just around then too.

Did I mention I was/am a guy? And a sports geek?

72. Bar Qu says:

Racki,

unfortunately, because I agree with you on Stone vs. Brule, I don't see Brule leaving and Stone does. Why? Because I don't think Stone has to clear waivers and Brule does.

Politics, caps, whatever. It stinks, especially for Stone, who did everything right and Brule didn't.

And, not trying to be a jerk here, but I do religion, mainly because I recognise how poorly I do at being a decent person and want help from whoever made me (in ultimate terms). It is merely a bonus that I know that being wants to know me back. But, I'm not preaching, just giving another side.

73. spOILer says:

Poutulny needed to be the lead story there, LT, excellent post.

…Art said,

"I'd like to know what the point of training camp is, when guys arrives in shape, and we now have to endure an 82-game exhibition season before the real fun starts.
    What do three weeks of glorified scrimmages with AHL scrubs prove?"

Well, with a new coaching staff, we could probably use some excuse to start learning a new system. And every team kinda needs the time to take measure of their prospects and roster.

Fortunately, Katz and the Oil needed to waste little money on an actual tape measure. One of them tailor jobbies oughta to have done nicely. No need to go out and buy a stainless steel Stanley™ with handy Quiklok™ and One Touch Release™ when you're sizin' up the cast of Willow… ™. Damn you, George Lucas.

As for the part of the thread that disappeared somewhere over the cliffs of Mt. Sinai… did I take that left turn at Albuquoyquee?

Damn Sabbotniks everywhere.

So I "scrolled" down.

Sweet post, Alice. SKOil too, thanks for the report.

As for Kytnar being sent back to Juniors, it's probably his best chance at seeing if he can find a little offensive spark, otherwise he's unlikely to have any significant NHL career. Is he ahead of Nash at this point? Vande Velde? Lander?

Good for Plante. Too bad about that lost year. He's tracking nicely, but who knows, huh?

Don't all of the following have to clear waivers?

Pouliot, Stone, Jacques, Nilsson, Schremp, Reddox, Brule, MacIntyre,

75. Racki says:

Bar Qu: Both Ryan Stone and Gilbert Brule have to clear waivers. But I would have to guess that it would be easier for the Oilers to send Stone through waivers untouched than it would Gilbert Brule, however.

76. Bar Qu says:

Ok, I amend that to 'likely to clear waivers'.

I am really getting tripped up by trivial facts here lately :-)

godot: Yes. The only Oilers on the current roster who don't have to clear waivers (among those on the bubble) are Dubnyk, Peckham, Chorney, Eberle.

I believe that's correct.

78. dwillms says:

79. boopronger says:

YOU ARE WRONG!

80. HBomb says:

reijo29: I have NOT seen the Brugal yet. Any leads on which liquor stores (preferably ones in and around Old Strathcona) might be carrying it?

81. HBomb says:

Shaun Van Allen and Dan Currie? Anyone remember the VCR line with Steven Rice?

Pretty sure those three lead this team to the 1993 Calder Cup, ironically won by the Oilers top farm club the first season that the NHL squad ever missed the playoffs.

I remember that spring well – Pocklington threatening to move the team to Hamilton, Patrick Roy going on a ridiculous hot streak, the Islanders fluking out a win in the Patrick Division final over Pittsburgh (essentially robbing Lemieux and Co. of a three-peat), and a ridiculous Leafs/Kings Campbell Conference final (this was the last season of the cool old school names for the divisions and conferences, not to mention the old divisional playoff format).

82. shep says:

is bill mdougall's 1993 playoff a typo?

16gp 26g 26a 52p

what?

83. knighttown says:

No shep, I was living in Cape Breton at the time and it was front page news. Night after night he'd put up three or four points. I believe he got plucked by Tampa Bay the next year but (obviously) never amounted to much.

//According to this article, Brule still needs 3 more GP to be eligible for waivers://

The article is wrong.

I guess we find out whether a newspaper or the CBA is correct is a few days. I'm betting on the CBA.

85. uni says:

Never heard of him before, but from the looks of things he set a bunch of records in the AHL and scored at every level he ever played at. The guy never played junior A or college hockey and ended up playing professionally.

For some reason despite his excellent track record without the pedigree he never seemed to have been given a fair chance in the NHL, who knows why.

Destroyed the other minor leagues till Detroit signed him, and he then dominated the AHL on their farm club but never got a call up in 3-4 seasons before a trade to Edmonton and their AHL club. Had 4 games with the daddy Oilers and scored 2G 1A. He then apparently left for TB frustrated by his lack of NHL time, and on a horrible Lightning team posted 6 or 8 points in 22 games, in what appears to be limited ice time. He eventually left the NHL dream for good and headed to Europe frustrated.

Here's the hockeydb page on him:
    Bill McDougall

I bet before expansion there were far too many very good players that languished in the minors and never got their shot at the big time.

86. danny says:

I was raised in an Anglican/Catholic marriage. This wasn't something entirely tolerated back in outport Newfoundland. I seem to recall reading about insane stuff like Catholics ambushing people during their Orangemens day parade.

My Grandmother was a devout Catholic. She took me to church most weekends. She still made my father go every week. The thing that in retrospect shaped me most were not the teachings of the gospel according to luke, but how my oldtimer hardcore Catholic grandmother had the utmost respect and love for my Mother. My mother went to church once a year. Christmas.

I learned early that religion was impotant to many people. I remember going on beer bottle drives to raise money for our minor hockey team. It was commonplace for older people to ask us what religion we were and to be told to go away if we didn't give the desired answer.

Today I am at peace with saying that I don't think there's a god. But I am 100% saying I don't know. I respect most opinions on the matter.

I have a problem with an institution demanding your worship. With threats of damnation and such should you stray. It feels so counter intuitive to a truth that respect and being a good person is something that even an old devout Catholic grandmother can adopt into her family.

If I can go through life surrounded by good people, and treat them well, then I frankly find religion irrelevant. Any god that punishes me for this ideal, well, he could learn a lot from my mother.

One final thought. If you were a king in ancient times, and you needed to control vast empires that an army could never police… What would you do? It seems to me a perfect reason to create a church. A priest. Persuasion is greater than force. Congratulations. You strike fear of eternal damnation into the masses and you have a mechanism to control more people than a spear ever could.

87. bookie says:

I believe that the arrival of the Europeans pretty much elimitanted the gain from expansion in terms of oppertunity.

88. Doogie2K says:

Exactly. Part of why I've never bothered with the whole business myself. If it does something for you, that's great, but don't get mad at me because I don't feel the same.

I've been saying this for years. It still applies if you're, say, a control-freak husband trying to keep his wife in line. Not that I know anyone like that, no sir.

As for Internet time-wasting in class, you may notice that I write for my blog perhaps every two weeks. This is because I stopped bringing my laptop to class because I was never getting notes and failing to understand the material. Just as well, since I have one prof this semester who refuses to allow laptops in class, and makes us write on good old-fashioned looseleaf. It's actually a really enjoyable class, which is a surprise since it's called Sociocultural Perspectives On Sport.