Canucks at Oilers PS G8/09-10

Cut-down day for the Edmonton Oilers is apparently tomorrow (they have until Wednesday). A bunch of young men will be driving to the airport in the next few days and the waiver wire may mean a couple don’t return to good old our town as Oilers.

The drama has probably been mitigated (at least somewhat) because of injuries to forwards Marc Pouliot, Ethan Moreau and Fernando Pisani (Pisani was the only one who was at practice yesterday).

Jason Gregor has been reporting lately that the Predators may have interest in one of Edmonton’s veteran forwards and that may happen as well. Would the organization feel that getting a second round pick for Nilsson (and keeping someone like Ryan Stone) is better than risking waivers? Seems reasonable, as does placing Pouliot on IR to begin the season.

There are no lineups so far but I’ll post them when they appear. The Oilers get one last look at the bubble boys and someone may step up and grab a job even this late. I’d say both Jacques and Stone are on the team and that Schremp and Reddox are not but those are just guesses on my part.

And since this season is once again about watching the youngsters develop and waiting another day to fight, here’s a couple of encouraging updates:

• Slava Trukhno scored twice in a pre-season win for Springfield.
  • MPS played significant (14) minutes and scored for Timra in the first SEL regular season game for his team.

UPDATE: The lines.

• Horcoff-Jacques-Hemsky: Looks like this line has some traction and coach Quinn will run with the big Q kid. Can he pot 20 on Hemmer’s wing?
  • O’Sullivan-Penner-Comrie: O’Sullivan and the little Brick man have real chemistry and Penner should help out this line in the offensive zone. The questions revolve around bleeding the other way and we shall see. Penner’s in the Stone spot here.
  • Gagner-Cogliano-Stortini: Interesting line, Stortini gets a push and if he could ever score 15 goals on a line with two munchkins the Oilers would solve some problems.
  • (possibly Brule-Reddox-MacIntyre): No confirmation I can find currently but if the veterans are injured this might be the 4line. Brule certainly has gotten the push (this will be his 5th game) and is the only one of the three certain to be part of the opening night lineup.
  • Souray-Staios: Two veterans who should be able to handle things down low.
  • Grebeshkov-Gilbert: I see a bunch of “Gilbert sucks” comments all over the internet, I wonder if people know his pre-season stats are 4gp, 2-4-6 +5. I suspect Grebs wears the urban sombrero tonight and plays well.
  • Visnovsky-Smid: This is an interesting combination. I think we might see it from time to time this winter.
  • Khabibulin-Deslauriers: Habby gets the start, hopefully doesn’t over handle the puck.

388 Responses to "Canucks at Oilers PS G8/09-10"

Newer Comments »
  1. NBOilerFan says:

As per Jen Sharp on Saturday…

"Although Quinn admitted the lines will be shaken up Sunday, Saturday's skate featured;

Jacques-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-O'Sullivan-Comrie
    Pisani-Reddox-Eberle

She only mentioned 3 lines though, as she said, perhaps this changes today.

2. Yeti says:

LT – I have been saddened to read of your recent relationship troubles. I very much hope you're not at the point of divorcing the team owing to 'irreconcilable differences'. While it's clear that times have been difficult of late, causing a great deal of anguish and stress for you, please do try to focus in on the love, pleasure and fulfillment that your relationship has brought in the past. Sure, sometimes these things come to a natural end, and sometimes other teams can catch the fancy of your eye (its common knowledge all over the web that you have been flirting with Columbus), but are you really ready to give up on a relationship with so much beautiful history? I think when you've had some time to think about it you'll realize that the Oilers are not just your lover, but your best friend too.

3. Yeti says:

LT – as you know, I was only teasing and never doubted any of your commitment to this frustrating team. I concur that the story of this year's Oilers is, in all likelihood, a chronicle of a death foretold. There's no way that we have a balanced enough team to consistently win games. However, I am hopeful that under Quinn we will see a lot of fun games this year – which after a year of quite frustrating performances, will provide something of a silver lining.

4. shanetrain says:

Nice Yeti!

5. Gord says:

Yeti…you nailed it from my perspective re: a lot of fun games. I can handle going to Rexall and watching a 6-4 loss with a fight and a few big hits far better than I can a 3-2 win where we are outshot 2-to-1 and eek it out in the shootout while we all wait to hear how one of our star players is doing because he was run from behind by a pest not held in check.

Yeti: lol. I'm fine with my relationship with the Oilers and part of that is speaking out. As a sports fan all I ask is that my team works as hard as possible to win.

There are some teams who win the battle and some teams who lose the battle. The Edmonton Oilers management group are apparently not interested in joining the battle.

What does this mean? Grumpy veterans who realize their contracts will be paid but the possibility of a deep playoff run depends on a quality start to the season from an uneven roster.

I like many of the kids up front but you cannot keep them all. You also cannot protect the little guys with knuckle-draggers who can't play.

Extremely disappointing to see Steve Tambellini stand there and defend this group. I thought he wanted to have a career as a GM but he's not going to be successful following the Kevin Lowe "let's wait until the deadline" template.

Address needs, trade from areas of strength to address weakness.

Where did that happen for the Oilers this season? Where?

7. DBO says:

LT: you gotta love it that a thread on a non game day in pre season almost hit 200 posts, and most of them thought out decent arguments. that's why i love your site. Even hung over with a coffee in my hand I read through the final posts last night. i'll say this, we might not all agree but there are some smart hockey people on your blog.

As for tonight and this team going forward. Quinn's comments the other day about veterans not helping the young guys and being only concerned with themselves makes me think he will deal a vet away. If we all agree our "try" as a team has suffered since jason Smith and Ryan Smyth left town, then maybe that is the area we need to address the most. I have pushed for tough decisions and creating balance on this team, but I really feel Quinn doesn't trust our "leaders" and that we need to get someone like Jason Smith to come back. Not the jason Smith, but someone of that ilk. i wonder if you'll see a vet that played under Quinn in oiler blues before too long. Only who would fit the mold? Tucker (i don't want him, just wondering if he is a "Quinn" guy). Like keenan before him, who are guys that Quinn implicitely trusts to get it done and lead the way?

8. DBO says:

And to end my thought on "quinn" guys who played big roles for him. only 3 are still sort of around.
    Sundin
    McCabe
    Tucker

So who out there in UFA land or on a team needing to shed vets for skilled guys would fit the mould?

9. Rob Gilgan says:

Is Ethan really injured, or on his way out?

Quinn may want to shift the leadership balance in the dressing room, if he doesn't feel the veterans are providing needed influence. This may be the best time to do that.

DBO: Agree completely. I missed a couple of games this week and the comments thread was the best game summary available. The strength of this blog is in the comments.

I think the Oilers should hold on to their veterans like grim death btw.

11. doritogrande says:

Well, it wouldn't be a TC post without a Rob Schremp mention.

12. Coach pb9617 says:

I think the Oilers should hold on to their veterans like grim death btw.

Not if they can get out from under contracts.

If someone wants Moreau and his two years, it makes sense to send him away and grab Dom Moore or some other waiver wire veteran for 1 year on the cheap.

This team isn't winning this year – get your cap house in order.

13. DBO says:

LT: i have no problem moving some of our vets as long as they are replaced by vets. I've agreed with you for years about our lack of proven "nhl" players. Makes a hiuge difference. Teams with vets seem to not go on long losing streaks and play so up and down. Which is exactly what happened to our team the last few years, big stretchs of wins and loses, and inconsistency game to game.

As mush as I like some of our kids, with the Bulin signing it seems to make sense to bring in some solid vets to settle the team down. i know you like Poulit as a 4th liner, but wouldn't someone like Dominic Moore be better at the same cost? Someone who is solid in the dot, has more size and can kill penalties? How about a Chris Gratton?

Coach: They'll change their cap view by dealing a defender. Moreau's here I'd expect, can't imagine someone picking up his contract.

Maybe at the deadline, but more likely at next year's deadline.

15. bookie says:

I think its pretty clear that there is a real problem with a division in the room and that the coach needs to do something about it, but instead he is actually fueling the fire.

I think the the thread yesterday made it clear that there are those who are optimistic about the teams chances and think that the coaching change was a big enough shift from last year, and those who feel that there is little hope because management let us down.

Com'n Coach LT, stop fueling the fire and get us all back together as a cohesive unit. Maybe we can rally around something like the love of beer, or nachos and cheese, or even JFJ…

bookie: How? People have eyes. Steve Tambellini's list doesn't have a crayon mark on it since the day he wrote it down.

He spent the summer going Rip Van Winkle for crying out loud.

17. bookie says:

Strangely enough, after all our talk of favoritism, if I had to pick one Oiler who has been most critical (though through careful wording) of MacT it has been Moreau.

I wonder how much of the veteran-bashing is just part of the shtick that old man Quinn is using to motivate people to play their roles. I mean there is a difference between truly thinking the veterans are a bunch of slackers and thinking that they are pretty good at what they do, but just need a kick in the pants…

18. bookie says:

Yeti – I could handle the flirting with Columbus, it was when LT started getting all gushy-eyed about Calgary that I started to really get hurt.

19. bookie says:

LT- we could all start talking about our love of beer or chocolate cake instead of our love of the Oilers?

That would bring us all together again!

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Moreau's here I'd expect, can't imagine someone picking up his contract.

It's just an example.

21. DBO says:

And on the trade front, i would give Nashville pretty much anything to get hamhuis. he's a UFA next year, and they my not resign him. I would give up a lot. And throw a bucket load of money to sign long term. How about this deal. yes it's an overpay, but it makes us better.

grebeshkov and Cogliano
    for
    Hamhuis and Smithson (big 3rd/4th line center who can win a faceoff, hits and kills peanlties).

it frees up money this year to give us felxibility, it adds two bruisers to our lineup (and veterans as well), and it makes us a more experienced team.

22. Black Dog says:

DBO – and if Hamhuis walks next summer?

If they are going to trade away young guys, especially a guy who already is a top 4 Dman, then they had better get guys who are going to stick around and contribute for a while.

23. Traktor says:

Some people fail to realize how much of a negative impact MacT had on the roster last year.

As long as Horcoff scores more than 2 goals in the final 20 games this team should be fine and make the playoffs.

As for Moreau, there was a bidding war for Chris Neil so you never know.

24. bookie says:

I hadn't realized that Kip Brennan had 61 NHL games on his resume. So, unlike some of his competitors, he is not an ECHLer trying to make the jump. What are his odds of making it as the last forward? Does anyone out there think Smac has any hope of making this team?

25. Marc says:

The worst moves at team can make are panic moves and that seems to be what everyone here is advocating. Dump kids for veterans, even if we don't know what we have yet. Waive veterans, even though we don't know how they'll respond to the coaching change, and may actually get soemthing useful in return if way wait till the season gets going and injuries make some GMs desperate.

Last year at this time how many of the bright sparks commenting on this blog were talking about the insanity of carrying three goalies and loudly advocating waiving Rollie or trading him for a bag of pucks? That would have been a genius move. Think about how great last season would have been if we had had Garon's sub-.900 save percentage in net for all 63 of the games that Rollie played.

As it became clearer that Rollie was actually better than Garon, the chorus then changed to waiving Garon/dumping him for a bag of pucks.

Tambellini ignored the chorus and when he finally did trade Garon, he actually got someone useful in return, a prospect that has a decent chance of making the team.

Fast forward a year and has anyone learned anything? It doesn't seem like it.

26. Coach pb9617 says:

Your reading comprehension needs work if this is what you believe.

27. DBO says:

Black Dog: i agree on the fear of him walking. And i doubt they would even move him. But if he did walk it gives us some cap flexibility next year when there will be a lot of solid UFA's out there. i would obviously want to re sign him, but that move makes us better right now and you have a year to convince a guy to stick around.

The only other team who has some pieces and may be looking for an offensive dman is columbus.

you could get umberger and Tyutin/klesla for one of our offensive dmen and a skill forward. As much as i like Vishnovsky, him paired with a cogliano can get you some good players that may fill our needs.

28. Black Dog says:

Hey Marc, what are your thoughts on the story in the Journal about Comrie's Dad now looking to invest in the new arena now that his son has a contract with the club?

And how does bringing in Comrie at the expense of a kid fit in with what this franchise has been doing over the last three years? That is, rebuilding? They are doing that, right?

Enlighten me. You certainly have a high opinion of yourself and a low opinion of a lot of folks around here, including me, seeing as you are engaging in putdowns on a daily basis here.

What's the plan? Enlighten a dim bulb.

29. Traktor says:

DBO: Stop making proposals. Seriously.

30. DBO says:

Marc: moves to address needs aren't panic moves. You stock pile young skilled players (like we have) in order to move them to fill other needs. We have an excess of young, small skilled players up front and some good offensive dmen. That is a surplus that allows you to make moves to better your team right now. Moving 2 or 3 22 year olds for a few 27 year olds doesn't kill our future, it just moves us into a better place right now.

31. DBO says:

Traktor: no way. Too much fun for me.

32. DBO says:

I propose we trade traktor for brownlee.

33. Marc says:

LT

What we've seen so far from Tambellini is that he takes his time making moves, but when he does, he does better than expected.

He waited to move a goalie but when he did he got Stone in return. He turned a pending UFA Cole into POS and second round pick.

The lack of moves this summer could mean that Tambellini doesn't think there are any problems with the roster. But equally it could mean that he thinks he'll get a better deal if he waits a bit longer. Why are you so sure it's the former, when his MO thus far suggest that it may well be the latter?

Marc: Riiiiiight. We're watching the modern Sam Pollock at work here. Trouble in the FO circle? Trade Brodziak! Too many small forwards? Sign Comrie!!!!

Yeah.

35. Traktor says:

"I propose we trade traktor for brownlee."

I have a NMC. LT is stuck with me for better or worse.

Everyone is welcome here, the only rule being respect is central to the conversation.

37. Marc says:

BD, Coach and anyone else I've offended:

Many, many apologies. It certainly wasn't my intention to do so. Reading the intelligent and interesting comments here has been a godsend for a Oil fan overseas. I've just gotten really frustrated by how negative the tone has gotten this summer. I honestly beleive we need to see a lot more evidence before we can write off the team, the management and the players at this stage. Until we get that evidence, isn't a neutral stance as opposed to a negative one reasonable?

Anyways, again my apologies if my tone came across as offensive. It wasn't my intention at all.

38. DBO says:

Traktor: lol. I wouldn't move you. Need some heat here occasionally.

39. Black Dog says:

Marc, correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember a few weeks ago you arguing that they needed to give guys like Pouliot and Brule a shot at the bottom six centre spots. I disagreed, saying that they should have done so last year but instead plugged Pisani in there, among others.

Your point, fair enough, was that that may have been but that they had to give those kids a chance now.

Correct me if I am misquoting you.

So again, how does bringing Comrie in fit this master plan of Tambellini's? Look at the guys likely to get cut – Nilsson, Pouliot, Brule, Reddox, Stone.

He's taking one of their jobs.

How does it fit, man?

40. uni says:

Marc: First off I think your assessment of the majority of commenters here is way off.

As for the above comment, I don't see how that affected the season and made it better since the Oil didn't make the playoffs. Think how great the season would have been if they had traded Rolli for a decent pick? Yeah, I would really have hated to have had Hedman or Tavares in a year they didn't stand a chance of making the playoffs (when Lubo went down) much less being a contender.

41. 40oz says:

Oilers Twitter says:
    Jacques – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Penner – O'Sullivan – Comrie MacIntyre – Gagner – CoglianoBrule & Reddox on the 4th line with ???

Marc: For Christ's sake, we haven't seen a playoff game since 2006! Patience? Patience??

REALLY?

43. Black Dog says:

I appreciate that Marc. I'm frustrated too, by three years out of the playoffs.

Three summers ago I believed that Lowe would address the lack of veterans on D. Two summers ago at forward.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Now this is the fourth time.

That's where I'm coming from.

I'll cheer this club on and I hope that Quinn is the magic bullet. I really do.

But I'm tired of the losing. FOlks hack on the Flames and Canucks but they've left us in the dust year after year pretty well th elast few years.

Tired of it.

44. pboy says:

Well the tone has become increasingly negative but that's only understandable. To paraphrase Tambo, the Oilers were going to get bigger, stronger and tougher to play against. In light of that statement (which was welcomed wholeheartedly by the majority of fans) the Oilers have sent Brodziak (a RH shot who could keep his head above water in the FO circle) out for less than magic beans and brought in Mike Comrie to round out the Oilers version of the starting line-up of the skinny players from Blades of Steel. It's one thing to talk a good game but the expectation is also there to follow through. I agree with the group who is saying that Tambo wants to see how this group of players will look with a new voice (Quinn) and some new systems (Renney) and then he will evaluate and make changes. The crux of my issues is there were and still are, some cheap and quick fixes on the marketplace that cost the Oil no players or picks and limited dollars and we have sat back and watched the wheels go round and round….. The Oiler's exchanged a 39 year old goalie for a 36 year old goalie, did sligthly better in pedigree but overpaid as usual for it. Besides some big game hunting, there has been almost no player movement on a team that has missed the playoffs 3 years in a row.

IMO, having Quinn in the fold will end up being a very positive thing for the Oil, not only on the ice but in the front office as well. GM's always want their own handpicked guy and MacT was not Tambo's guy. You would have to think that Quinn is going to have the direct line to the GM's office and he will be listened to when he picks up that phone. Quinn is pushing 70 and he will not sit back lightly and go to battle with a seriously unbalanced team and I am sure he has let both Tambo and Lowe where he thinks the holes on this team are. Whether or not the fans in Edmonton want to believe it, the Oilers organization is not considered to be one of the elite and it been a long time since they were even above average. Quinn and Renney both bring quantifiable amount of respect with them and I think their voices will be heard and that the product on the ice will be improved.

45. Marc says:

I guess I don't see making the playoffs as a goal in and of itself. I want to see a team that is a contender for the Cup for a few years running. The last three years have sucked. But isn't the worst possible outcome to panic now, dump some kids to pick up some veterans so that we can go back to fighting for eighth the way we used to, and then see those kids develop into useful players on another team.

And I admit that the Comrie deal makes no sense from this perspective. At the moment the posibility that he'll wildly outperform his contract is keeping me on the positive side of the ledger. If we lose any of Nilsson, Brule or Pouliot on waivers though, it pushes me into the negative.

46. pboy says:

Marc:

How many chances do the Brule's, Pouliot's and Nilsson's get before it is time to cut bait and move on?

47. eidy says:

When i first started reading this blog while in New Zealand, the one thing that struck me was how training camp was LT's favorite time of year. A chance to see young men compete and see what was in the cupboard. Yesterdays read, although interesting, kind of dampened a fun time of year for me too,

Now the cupboard looks more full than ever with some really good prospects in the wings. I wish they would not have rushed gagner so much so that he would be arriving this year (or more likely last), but he forced his way to some degree and the EIG forced it the rest and the rest is history.

I don't think management did enough this summer, and I for one did not like the heatley trade (more in principal of what heatley is). There are holes in the boat, slow leaky ones more than giant gaping ones and here is hoping they find some way to plug them before we sink to 10th.

48. Spot The Loon says:

I do hope to be pleasantly surprised by this year's edition of the Oilers. That said, I expect not a lot. I do like some of the moves that Quinn the Mighty Eskimo is talking about and how he sees the team playing this year. Even the line matchings are in interesting. That said, he is having to attempt to address situations that management has seemingly turned a blind eye to.

Someone commented earlier about the need to avoid panic moves in our roster. Frankly, we could do with a little panic and a sense of urgency. I mean, the holes have been evident for many months. A sense of urgency to attempt to address some of these things would be nice.

I recognize the difficulty in moving players in the modern NHL. Since we live in a cap world, the opportunity to move contracts and salary is much more difficult. So, to some extent, management is reaping the harvest of the seeds they themselves planted by keeping too many players under contract and offering overly rich contracts to veterans. That said, other teams are seemingly able to make the smaller moves to address their weaknesses so why can't we? Calgary got Toronto to take Primeau for Budda's sake.

I know that the mantra has been to acquire skill. However, what this has accomplished is that we have a number of skilled, small forwards who fill similar dimensions for the team. A team cannot be based on skill alone. There are other aspects that must be included in a team where different attributes are brought to the table. In my mind, this means having to move some of these smaller forwards where we may have to swallow hard because they do have skill and we like them. But, the reality is that the Oilers are seemingly a one dimensional group of players that may look good on paper but will struggle when faced with more balanced teams playing a more physical style. In my mind, the Oilers aren't even a team in the sense that they don't have those other attributes that allow them to play competitively when faced with different approaches by their opposition.

Quinn, to his credit, sees this and is trying to address it with the assets that he has been provided with. However, until management realizes that a more diverse group of players are required, I fear we are doomed to mediocrity. The fact that management is seemingly unable to understand the nature of the current NHL and attempt to address needs to be competitive within that environment is what saddens me the most. It is also what condemns this team to remaining a weak sister in the NHL and fighting for play off spots while developing individual skilled players that eventually move on to greener pastures.

eidy: That's exactly it. The Oilers are trying to develop too many potential jack's and king's and losing games because there aren't enough veteran 7's and 8's.

I didn't mind the Comrie deal to be honest but it MUST come at the expense of another small forward.

If the Oilers deal Nilsson and a pick for David Steckel (an example, not the specific player) tomorrow well then it'll be a good day.

But there's no reason to believe it'll happen. I spent the summer thinking Tambellini was his own man but as it turns out (it looks like) Kevin Lowe still has the wand.

anyone want to bet on the chances that Kevin Lowe wakes up one day, calls Matheson and says "you know, we've got a lot of small forwards!"

Frustrating.

50. Yeti says:

Sorry, could anyone explain:
    MacIntyre – Gagner – Cogliano
    to me?
    I know there's this "big man on every line" thing going on, but WTF?? Is this simply misinformation or has the whole world gone crazy? Is there any kind of hockey logic that could be behind that??

Yeti: I think it has been changed to Stortini on that line, but stand to be corrected.

52. bookie says:

REALLY?

I know LT, I can't believe that they kept MacT on so long after it was clear that he was done. The 06 run saved his job, but really it should not have.

That is what you are talking about, right?

53. Yeti says:

Cogliano – Gagner – Storts? OK, I can see that in terms of "it's probably worth a look". After all, if JFJ is really sticking on the top line we are already through the looking glass as far as our preconceived notions stand on putting lines together.

Could this mean we are edging slowly towards:

JFJ – Horc – Hemsky
    Penner – Comrie – O'Sulli
    Cogliano – Gagner – Stortini
    Moreau – Brule – Pisani

A big man on each line, with Pouliot and Stone waiting in the wings and Nilsson shipped off to Music City for a pick? For good or for bad, it certainly isn't what MacT would have put together, that's for sure…

bookie: He certainly needed to go, and we've definitely talked it to death. But no, I don't think MacTavish was the problem beyond perhaps staying too long at the fair.

"Could this mean we are edging slowly towards:

JFJ – Horc – Hemsky
    Penner – Comrie – O'Sulli
    Cogliano – Gagner – Stortini
    Moreau – Brule – Pisani"

Yeti,

My guess is that Pies plays with Gags & Cogs when healthy, not Zorg, but otherwise I think you nailed it.

56. Marc says:

Pboy

This is it for all three I think. I'd just like to see how they respond to the new coaches for a few months rather than give up on them over the summer.

If we get to Christmas and none they aren't getting it down then send them down and bring in someone who can.

57. bookie says:

The smiley face was there to indicate a 'tongue in cheekness' to the statement. I was pretty sure you were referring to other needed changes.

Lets hope the stars align and that in 2 months time we are talking of Tambellini's genius.

58. Deans says:

Hey Lowetide, great blog. You are the only one who has really steped up and criticized the Tambellini regime. What do you think about this rumour going around that Bill Comrie is going to help fund the new arena as a thank you for Katz signing Mike Comrie. Interesting and salacious story. I'm wondering if this constitutes tampering in any way.

Anyone know who will be in the Canucks lineup tonight?

59. Racki says:

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but the Oilers sent out a twitter earlier today saying that the 3rd line is actually: Cogliano Gagner MacIntyre and line 4 will be Brule and Reddox and didn't mention the other player (presumably Stortini though). http://twitter.com/NHL_Oilers
    Pisani and Moreau are both hurt and not playing tonight. Now of course MacIntyre playing with Cogs/Gagner is beyond ridiculous. But if it's true, I think Quinn is putting him to the test to see if he can play a multi-dimensional game. I have my doubts that MacIntyre can keep up to the action, but he's getting his chance to make it or break it. This might be a sign that Quinn has pretty much counted him out of the roster, barring a miracle here (in which he shows he's more than a fighter).

60. Marc says:

I hadn't heard the rumour about Comrie. I'm not sure it makes sense though.

Would a businessman risk millions just to get his son a relatively low paying (for a hockey player) job? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to give that money to Mike directly?

Then again, rich people do strange things. Maybe Bill had that money earmarked for a solid gold toilet but thought buying a job for Mike would get him a better gift on Fathers Day.

Deans: Well I don't think we could be too critical of Tambellini before now, because he took the job July 31, 2008.

His significant transactions:

Sept 30/88 Claimed MacIntyre on waivers
    Jan 17/09 Garon for Stone, Sabourin and a 4th in 2011
    Mar 4/09 Cole for O'Sullivan and Kotalik (and there was a pick in there too that the Oilers picked up and then sent away)
    May 26/09 Sign Quinn & Renney

Up until that point we're doing fine. Oilers should have kept the 2nd from LA but what they hell the club wanted to make the postseason and Kotalik got some audition time with Hemsky.

The O'Sullivan pickup I like plenty and Stone might end up being something.

But this summer he:

*dealt Brodziak and did not replace his skill set. This has been doubly disconcerting since it appears as though the obvious replacement inhouse (Pouliot) hasn't grabbed the job.

*signed Khabibulin. I like the player, not the dollars and term. With the Oilers having cap crunch problems this contract could be an albatross and although imo it's tradeable it's also going to be expensive in terms of additional assets.

*signed Comrie. I'm fine with the signing, but they need to dump a smaller forward unless they desire getting even smaller which is of course insane.

Not a great summer. Named the shopping list, it looked very good and then he went to the store and bought gum and cheesies.

62. John says:

What is baffling is that we have a team that has a seriously unbalanced team. We have a team full of small skilled smurfs. We have a single center who can take a crucial draw in a new NHL where draws are increasing important. We are soft. We have, with the exception of Smid no rugged stay at home D. We have 2 good contracts….Hemsky and, gasp, Comrie (at $1.25m, he is a good deal).

We have what certainly seems to be a league leading number of really really bad contracts: Horcoff, Penner, Moreau, Staios, Pisani and, sorry guys, Gilbert and we overpaid for a good goalie..for too long a term

Worse, we are at the cap and lack any flexibilty at all and look like a 12th place team in the Western Conference.

I have no difficulty in trading for Hamhuis if we can resign him …it brings balance because he is a stay at home D man first.

We need to target a team with depth at center who are rugged and are good on the draw.

If Washington would part with Brooks Laich in a trade for Tom Gilbert I would do it.Not because I dislike Gilbert…..rather because we need big, strong centers who are good at faceoffs. If they threw in Boyd Gordon….. at least our faceoff problems are completely solved

63. bookie says:

it looked very good and then he went to the store and bought gum and cheesies.

This is really the root of my bias towards supporting Tambellini – I freaking love those damn Cheezies in all of their deepfried orange chemically coated salty glory.

When my son was little he would sneak cheesies and of course make sure his hands were clean. Problem was cheesie was all over his face. :-)

Good times.

65. bookie says:

My daughter is 16 months old – I am going to do my best to protect her from the unholy influence of Cheezies, but I know that someday, I won't be there to protect her!

66. Schitzo says:

"urban sombrero"?

67. Mr DeBakey says:

A great story there about that fine Orange product.

Who would've guessed that one day -
    Sustanence of the blogging industry.

68. Temujin says:

That third line, if true, looks not just interesting, but pretty damned cool to me. If that big lug could just park his ass in front of the net, he's bound to have a few deflect in off him. It's the law of averages, right?

But then, wasn't Stortini's nickname around here "L Column" :-0

Should be a pretty good game tonight. Deans was asking about the Canucks line-up. I havent heard yet either but Canucks.com says the Sedins are in. I'd expect it to be almost entirely NHL-level players, wih maybe Hodgson, Grabner and Shirokov getting one final look.

69. Showerhead says:

946 mL Slurpee Cup
    1/3 Lemon Gin
    1/3 Rye
    1/3 7-up

= I seem to have lost my brain somewhere near Corydon last night. If found, please put into detox and then promptly return to its rightful and abusive owner.

Good news: I should reach normal functioning by about puck drop. This whole skill-skill-muscle thing Pat Quinn has going on intrigues me and worries me pretty much simultaneously. If 10 and 83 can produce with JFJ on their line it would be a miracle. Is there a precedent for this? I'm trying to think of the worst LW I can remember on their line and think I must be failing if I choose Kotalik. But then again, I've got this whole brain situation going on.

70. Showerhead says:

Temujin: What's the word on Hodgson so far? Do you expect he'll stick?

Also, Pat Quinn says a few things at TSN.ca including that management has the final say re: cuts. Could be lip service but if it isn't, is that normal?

71. bookie says:

Didn't MacT have "Sparky" Kulchisky play a couple of games on LW with them? I seem to remember Horsparksky not being near as bad of a line as one might think.

I am pretty sure that JFJ has more speed than Sparky, but Sparky may have him on weight and overall toughness.

72. Coach pb9617 says:

It's frightening. I was going to write something up about that after tonight.

Frightening.

73. Steve says:

For cap/waiver/farm team stocking reasons, I'd think so.

74. bookie says:

Promotions and Demotions to and from the farm team are always the prerogative of the GM. A good GM takes the coaches opinion into account, but when its a close call, the GM gets his way. Though sometimes a coach will not play the player and forces the GM's hand (like Ray Whitney – nice work there Ron Low!)

I am wondering if S.Mac. might make this team against Quinn's judgement. That type of call would be a very very bad one.

75. Bruce says:

WTF? I heard Zorg was lined up with Cogs and Gags at practice yesterday and thought, "Fianlly! They're giving him one look on a non-fourth line." Now MacIntyre is getting that chance? MacIntyre??!!

I wish SMac well and all, but he's unliklely to start the season on the fifth line, let alone the fourth or third. Guys like Stone and Jacques have gotten all kinds of chances with skill players, and that's fine too. Meanwhile, though, Stortini has been saddled on lines with Brennan, MacIntyre, Reddox, Brule, Minard, etc. Why not give him a look with a couple of smurfs?

76. NBOilerFan says:

Showerhead said…
    946 mL Slurpee Cup
    1/3 Lemon Gin
    1/3 Rye
    1/3 7-up

Thanks for the idea Showerhead. I don't have thos ingredients but a good ol' rum and coke will do teh trick just dandy.

My wife threw me a surprised 40th b-day on Friday noght (B-day isn't until Tues) and a constent flow oh shots that were 90% of the time,tequila, and I'm still only about 95%.

On a side note, I received a gift that night which just so happened to be a Oiler jersey… funny thing is, it's not the one I ordered for me on behalf of my wife…. so I didn't end up with just one jersey for my 40th b-day… I end up receiving two.

Awwww…good stuff… and just in time for the season opener. Hmmm.. which one do I wear first? Let me think that over with a rum & coke.

77. Showerhead says:

I'm very confused as to who this Sparky fellow is or is a reference to. Am I missing something?

As for the cuts, I can see things like contracts dictating things quite a bit and I can see the GM having final say. I can't see Steve MacIntyre as an NHL hockey player right now so there better be some excellent communication between the coach and his boss.

Happy early 40th NBOilerFan! Are the jerseys identical by any awful chance or have you lucked into home and away?

Speaking of jerseys, Edmonton's home jersey according to NHL 10 is the old school style with orange shoulder patches. Is this true in real life this season as well?

78. NBOilerFan says:

@Showerhead – Thankfully they are different. I ordered a Hemsky retro 3rd jersey (which I don't technically receive until Tues, but its here). A handful of friends pooled together and got me a blank road jersey (blue) which is pretty nice also.

79. bookie says:

Sparky

Been with the Oilers 3 decades!

Jim Matheson has an item up over at the EJ site and there's all kinds of info. Pouliot likely to start on IR, Nilsson could miss the cut and:

The Oilers are going to start the year with 14 forwards. Here's the givens: Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky, O'Sullivan, Gagner, Cogliano, Comrie, Dustin Penner, J.F. Jacques, Stortini, Moreau. Stone, one of their best pre-season players, a guy who plays hard, has probably made it too. Same with Brule. That's 12. Reddox, Pisani, Steve MacIntyre, Kip Brennan and Nilsson are in line for the other two. Pouliot can start on IR.

Goalie Devan Dubnyk, defenceman Taylor Chorney and Schremp seem most likely be going to Springfield if cuts are made Monday.

81. PDO says:

Lupul is probably the worst LW to play with 10 & 83.

Fucking Joffrey….

82. Bruce says:

Thanks, LT. Here's a link to the Matty piece.

83. Temujin says:

showerhead: It's a real conundrum with Hodgson. He hasn't shown anything to warrant a spot on the fourth line, but he is too young for the AHL and sending him back to the WHL won't help his development (thats the argument, anyways).

Vignault has given him plenty of chances and it makes me think he could stick around for the simple fact of there not being anything else to do with him. But, imo, he's not ready yet for a job in the NHL.

84. Coach pb9617 says:

If this team starts the season without Pisani, as that article indicates, fans are going to need plastic sheeting to shield themselves from the bleeding.

85. Bruce says:

Temujin: Does Shirokov belong in the same sentence as Mogilny and Bure?

Bruce: Are you kidding? Holy hell man.

87. Grant says:

Reddox was the worst LW to play with Hemmer and Horc. At least Lupul had the 'shooter' pedigree in his favour.

88. Black Dog says:

Yeah, Lupul with that shooter pedigree.

Unfortunately failed to get into the scoring areas or to win any puck battles due to his chronically sore vagina.

I witnessed him getting outmuscled by Jeff O'Neill of all people.

Joffrey Lupul could not get the puck out at the blueline along the wall. It was painful and incredible at the same time.

90. PDO says:

LT:

It was plain embarrassing more than anything.

He's the softest player I've ever seen, and very well might have the worst contract in the NHL.

91. Mark says:

I imagine Smac lining up beside cogs and gagner is supposed to prevent the other team taking liberties with our smallest(and most important) players before the season starts.

I wouldn't read it so much as a chance for Macintyre to show his quality as a player but as a detterent.

92. pboy says:

On what planet would Ethan Moreau be an automatic pick over Fernando Pisani? WTF is going on? I could give a shit if Pisani has been brutal all pre-season, the guy has a body of work in the NHL that shows his ability to be a productive 3rd liner. So does Ethan Moreau but he takes a ton of brain dead penalties and both guys have unfortunately been injury prone.

93. Bruce says:

//That Shirokov kid though, wow. Money in the bank if he'd even buy into Vignault's defensive system. The knock on him is that he cherry-picks and doesn't back-check. t they said the same thing about Bure, Mogilny, and several other Russians.//

/Temujin: Does Shirokov belong in the same sentence as Mogilny and Bure?/

Bruce: Are you kidding? Holy hell man.

LT: I kid Temujin every chance I get. Besides, he really did mention Shirokov in the same paragraph as those Russian greats, couldn't let that pass without comment.

Of course it is September, the most optimistic month of the year for Vancouverites.

94. Racki says:

Trukhno had a two goal night last night in Springfield, I think we can mention Shirokov's name in the same breath as Trukhno. lol

95. bookie says:

LT, Bruce, Coach, etc. – I am having a crappy day and need happy things!

What is the most positive thing about the 2009/10 Oilers heading into the final Pre-season game?

96. Coach pb9617 says:

One step closer to watching good teams.

97. Bruce says:

Reddox was the worst LW to play with Hemmer and Horc.

Grant: IIRC Reddox' first line experience came when he replaced Hemsky after Ales got tootooed, so he didn't play with 83 so much as instead of 83.

He's the softest player I've ever seen

PDO: You don't remember Jimmy Carson, do you? Fair or not, I lump Carson and Lupul together: both came from southern California as the centrepiece of a "five asset" return for an Oiler superstar, both were young and talented, both couldn't handle the pressure, both were gone from Edmonton within ~1 year, and both were softer than diarrhea.

98. slipper says:

Can this game be watched anywhere?

99. Bruce says:

We're still tied for first place.

100. Alice says:

Slipper -
    looks like nhl livewire has it,

101. boopronger says:

I still firmly believe that CFP screwed this team for at least 3 years and that management is still feeling the repercussions of that pricks actions.

102. flamingpavelbure says:

Damn, i swear it's one of the only places where we cry out loud for more veterans.

Alberta sure sounds like Texas sometimes. (No offense, it's just a thing in East Canada to compare the West to South USA (Exept California)

Yeah, Eastern Canada just has a way of seeing things more clearly than we do out west. Must be the superior education or gene pool. We try our best, though and are sincerely sorry for any shortcomings.

104. flamingpavelbure says:

Did you take it as an insult? Wasn't meant to be.

But yeah, supporting war and being close minded on stuff like liberty of sexual identity kinda breaks it out for some Quebecers. (Oh that and all voting for Harper)

105. kinger says:

LT, you've been on a tear lately in the comment section. It's good to see a little more fire in your belly. A little less Leno and a little more Letterman.

Yeah, and the thing is we all think the same way. Must be the inbreeding out here. Thank goodness there are open minded people like those in Eastern Canada or frankly I don't know where this country would be right now. It kinda makes me worry, you know?

107. kinger says:

I don't know about you LT but I sure am close minded in regards to sexual identity.

On Friday, January 21st two lesbians who had been walking hand in hand at Mont-Royal were stopped at the corner waiting to head north on Saint Denis. Just before the light changed they stepped towards each other to steal a quick kiss before crossing the street, when from out of nowhere someone smashed the back of one of their heads with such force that it rammed into the head of the other in a head butt, leaving both girls stunned and confused. One was left with split skin on her forehead and a painful bump while the other, not as fortunate, was left with a broken nose. Over the noise of the gathering crowd they could hear each other asking what had happened, each realizing but not wanting to say “we’ve just been gay bashed…”

108. bookie says:

Wow, I almost responded, but then realized that you don't know how vulnerable you are on so many fronts…

I know we did religion the other day, but I for one think we should leave politics off the blog today!

bookie: I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier, I was outside humping cows and chewing Copenhagen.

110. Bruce says:

LT: Dammit, don't you know that serial monogamy is the ethical thing? One cow at a time, man.

111. bookie says:

OMG – we seriously need the regular season to begin…

112. Deans says:

Last time I checked the Canada government supports the war in Afganistan. I don't see how Alberta has the sole responsibility of supporting a war.
    I've also read polls suggesting that the majority of Albertans support gay rights and gay marriage. Not really sure where that criticism is coming from.

Don't you guys DARE stop flamingpavelbure from instructing us in the ways of good and moral behaviour. It's the only way we're going to learn.

Now. My neighbor has a problem: he only has $12 and can't decide on milk for his one-year old or cigarettes. Frankly, I'm no help on this one, can someone chime in?

114. Coach pb9617 says:

Pshaw. I hump copenhagen and chew cows.

115. Alice says:

LT with more allusions to baseball :-)

FPV,

you test-drive any of these thoughts before launch? A little detour through the QA dept might leave a few by the wayside. It's not a bad MO.

116. flamingpavelbure says:

Deans: Canadian Government = Conservative Party atm

Conservative Party's Stronghold = Alberta

Huh? Quebec is really one of a kind. (The French Peeps). Btw the assault doesn't count if it comes from an anglophone.

Fact is, Harper+Oil in Alberta = Making sure we don't respect Kyoto.

117. flamingpavelbure says:

Oh yeah just tought of that, i love how you present one example of intolerance to prove the point, but when i sent 1 video of Souray getting his jackstrap deked out, it didn't count. Something here doesn't work both ways.

118. Coach pb9617 says:

Can we go back for a second?

How did we go from wanting more established NHL players to being homophobic bigots?

If I follow the logic, those that would prefer a youth movement are enlightened bisexuals?

How can I get to be a utility-infield playing lesbian?

coach: You'd need to be a punch and Judy hitter.

fpb: Alice is wise. Go ask Alice.

120. NBOilerFan says:

Lowetide said…

So is it Comrie that bumped Nilsson, or is it Stone? Have to say Comrie, as Stone's is more then likely taken SMac's spot.

We'll… we will be seeing a trade in the next 2 days, might just be Nilsson for picks, but something is going to happen.

I'm still hoping for something a bit bigger. Hopelessly likely.

Feed is up at oilers.com btw, the game is streamed tonight.

NB Oil: Yeah, it's going to be a busy week. I have a feeling EDM will do more than just IR Pouliot and they may deal Nilsson+ for something that's about to slip through waivers.

There are going to be useful players on the waiver wire.

122. NBOilerFan says:

This would be a good night for Hemsky to show up.

123. flamingpavelbure says:

There's no connection between the two actually.

It's just things that are different from the Montreal/Edmonton environment.

I'm not despising you. Just poiting out some difference.

Great Nilsson out, Sergei Kostitsyn is now in Hamilton. A trade for both 1v1 would be weird.

You would love Sergei, he's a 6''0 with some great hands good speed and he's an Esa Tikkanen kinda guy (Not to the same extent but)

124. kinger says:

What a butchering of a great song.

125. Coach pb9617 says:

It's just things that are different from the Montreal/Edmonton environment.

Yes, I've noticed the ability to flesh out thoughts completely is non-existent in Montreal.

126. Ribs says:

I'm fricking blind.. where's the link to the feed?

127. Bruce says:

Feed is up at oilers.com btw, the game is streamed tonight.

What's the secret handshake? I go to the site, it even says game is being streamed live, but I can't seem to find anything to click to get there.

128. Ribs says:

Oh good, it's not just me.

129. bookie says:

Feed is up at oilers.com

I am not getting it for some reason, can someone post the URL.

130. Coach pb9617 says:

I'm on the Canucks feed, but it's choppy as hell.

131. NBOilerFan says:

I've said it all summer… the Year of the Crazy Train!

132. bookie says:

If someone will copy the link from your browser and paste it, the rest of us can probably find it.

133. Ribs says:

Ah there she is.. Thanks.

134. bookie says:

Ok, its working on my other browser. I think the page is not refreshing.

here is the link

135. bookie says:

Staois, killing the play whenever possible, even in the offensive zone!

bookie: lol. I think Staios uses stick-um on the PP. :-)

137. doritogrande says:

Ales Hemsky, you've been missed.

Hemsky. He's no good.

139. NBOilerFan says:

Hemsky arrives!

Very nice.

140. Coach pb9617 says:

Nice screen.

141. bookie says:

I appologise, you were all right, the Oilers have no hope this year and we are going to totally get dominated.

Ok, small sample size, but I couldn't resist.

Comrie (Hemsky)

Lindsay Buckingham is the best guitar player no one remembers.

144. doritogrande says:

Pat Quinn must be incensed on the bench there.

Kyle Wellwood being sprung on a breakaway? Christ.

O'Sullivan with the Lupul play.

146. bookie says:

I hope this is nto the new defensive game plan under Quinn. That guy was free and clear by about 80 feet!

147. Coach pb9617 says:

……..___
    _____|___|_______
    …..PENNER
    Comrie (Hemsky)

148. NBOilerFan says:

Is everyone else's feed as choppy as mine?

The Canuck feed seems better believe it or not.

150. doritogrande says:

anyone else having serious buffering issues?

151. Bruce says:

If "choppy" is defined as 2 seconds of action followed by 10 seconds of freeeframe, yes. It is frustrating as hell.

152. bookie says:

More buffer than feed here!

getting better now.

153. bookie says:

Here is the shrinkable enlargable video link (same link, more control)

154. pboy says:

Probably some arrogant, imperialist, uber-capitalist Western Canadian pig who keeps freezing the video…..

155. Promethian says:

My feed is flawless during commercials. Game play – not so much.

For the love of freaking God Renney quit having Staios on the ice as the same time as Hemsky.

You have 4 freaking defensemen who can hit him with a pass in stride, freaking use one of them!!!!!!

)@%#&#(*)@*$E

157. doritogrande says:

I understand that that was the "tough guys" highlight package, but any package like that HAS to include Souray's one-punch KO from last year.

MacIntyre plays hockey like a sheet of plywood. would.

159. Bruce says:

… and Penner's

160. Alice says:

Bless him, he shot. I hate when they try to force the pass 2 on 1 and don't get a shot at all.
    Like that instinct

161. pboy says:

MacIntyre plays hockey like a sheet of plywood. would.

Except slower

162. Bruce says:

MacIntyre-Brule-Stortini

Sigh

163. Bruce says:

At least POS shot. Brule neither shot nor passed, instead looped into the corner and fed the nearest Canuck. Terrible.

Fuck me.

Vis = silk

166. doritogrande says:

I thought Grebeshkov was supposed to play. Strudwick's out there with Gilbert.

Can someone explain? Is he hurt?

Comrie (Visnovsky, O'Sullivan)

168. kinger says:

That Comrie has some finish

169. Temujin says:

That Comrie signing might not be so bad, ya know.

Boooooooo

170. pboy says:

Vish is magic out there.

171. doritogrande says:

Okay, clearly the Nucks site is behind.

I just saw that Visnovsky beauty.

172. NBOilerFan says:

Keep potting them Comrie… and they take down Gretzky's statue for a Comrie statue.

173. Coach pb9617 says:

Awesome. My feed cut out about five seconds before I think the scored.

Back to the Vancouver feed batman.

dorito: I thought he was supposed to play but Stauffer said he had already played in 5 games or some such and Quinn had seen enough of his play.

175. Bruce says:

Two goals by his line, and that bum Penner doesn't even have a point.

176. kinger says:

Jacques?

Sublime.

Horcoff (Jacques, Hemsky)

178. Bruce says:

I guess that's why Reddox is out there, tiding shotgun for Gagner and Cogliano.

FFS

179. bookie says:

< sarcasm >Ready to shut this off, HOPELESS, Tambi is an idiot!< /sarcasm >

180. Coach pb9617 says:

No matter the season or line combo – the Sedins pin the Oilers deep.

181. Black Dog says:

Grebs is with me, we're hanging out on my couch doing the brown acid.

Don't believe me? I just saw JFJ on the PP feeding Horcoff with the sweetest little feed I ever did see.

Yessir, me, Grebs, Jimmy Hoffa, Kate Winslet.

And Jesus Christ on a unicycle.

182. doritogrande says:

Wow. Jacques deserves to be on this team.

183. Bruce says:

What's with this cutting away from the feed to show canned shit?

184. bookie says:

This Oiler feed is working without any delay. It is the 'embed feed' for other to put on their site, so it may have lower demand.

Strudwick conquers Rome.

186. NBOilerFan says:

My god Gagner has not looked good this TC. He just can't get anything going.

BDHS: lol. Is Schremp there with his shinebox? Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? Diane Lane?

188. doritogrande says:

Great tilt for Strudwick.

189. doritogrande says:

crazytrain is such an apt nickname.

JF Jacques with confidance is a great thing.

NB Oiler: We were saying the same thing abot Hemsky before tonight. He's skilled, he's 20 and he should be improved but will have to earn playing time. I wouldn't bet against him.

191. NBOilerFan says:

Jacques is doing that Lowe and CO. wanted and thought Penner was going to do when they offer sheeted him.

192. Bruce says:

That's the way to finish a check. Don't need to kill the guy, just skate right through him. JFJ had a terrific period.

I remember reading an article at the beginning of tc (might have been Ireland, she's a pretty smart cookie) about Jacques finally being healthy enough to have trained for TC and be ready to go.

He's a different player now.

194. Bruce says:

Best news from that period was the reappearance of Lubo Visnovsky and Ales Hemsky.

195. Promethian says:

JFJ = this year's Milan Lucic?

Has someone already proposed that?

Am I deluded?

196. Black Dog says:

LT – Diane was here but then two wolverines in overalls came in with a ladder, cut a hole in my ceiling and then she sprouted wings and flew off into the night sky.

And they took a bottle of wine, the TV and the pork tenderloin we are marinating for tomorrow night.

The wolverines.

Fuck, my wife is going to be pissed.

197. flamingpavelbure says:

Yeah… where has been Schremp? Idk, maybe Tambi is keeping him as his pet or something.

I bet Lucy in the sky would be faster than Macintyre.

With friends we invented a verb for NHL 10.

Getting Macintyre'd

When you get scored by Macintyre, it's so humiliating you need a verb for the thing.

198. NBOilerFan says:

Lowetide said…

True, but with one fine difference, Hemsky looked like he was dogging it and not putting in a full effort. It seems the harder Gagner tries he just can't find any flow or momentum.

I know it will come, but its frustrating to watch, so I can only imagine how he feels.

Newer Comments »