Get Yer Shinebox, Robbie!!!!

I’ve been watching a lot of US Open tennis in the past week or so (it’s wonderful theatre) and John McEnroe is such a big part of it. Do you remember the events that lead up to his famous “you can not be serious!!”? I imagine poor Robbie Schremp must have had that reaction today, and to a lesser extent people like Robert Nilsson, Andrew Cogliano and even Patrick O’Sullivan must have done a double-take.

Because whatever else this move does, it impacts the smurfs on this roster. Here are some other things it likely does:

1. Ends Rob Schremp’s Oiler career
  2. Makes it very likely a major contract is sent to Springfield
  3. Makes that damn trade we’ve been calling for an absolute must.
  4. Means someone is going to have to be responsible among the minute men. My guess would be Patrick O’Sullivan.

I think the signing is fine and the contract number (capgeek says $1,125,000) means the Oilers just signed an actual NHL player who has a very good chance of overshooting his contract. I think there will be two trades. Rob Schremp for whatever draft pick is out there (if that deal is available) and Robert Nilsson for a pick. Either that or Springfield is going to have a stunning 1line.

Not everyone can play. This isn’t communism.

85 Responses to "Get Yer Shinebox, Robbie!!!!"

1. Gord says:

the Oilers just signed an actual NHL player who has a very good shot of overshooting his contract

It is about time….

2. oil dude says:

Not everyone can play. This isn't communism.

Not if the NHLPA has anything to say about it.

PS. That pic must be be a photo shop, how is it possible for 4'6" midget that doesn't care about hockey to score against a 7'3" bronzed demigod like JayBo?

3. Coach pb9617 says:

The trade isn't Heatley.

Per Buccigross:

Dany Heatley will probably be a Shark tonight or tomorrow..

Kessel won't report and wants out.
    Tanguay was signed for 2.5
    Malhotra and Moore still unsigned.

*Forehead in hands*

Coach: There's no way now. There's just zero chance the Oilers leave the starting gate with this group of forwards. Gregor is reporting over at ON that Pouliot is in some danger too and that REALLY means they're bringing in a veteran forward who can play a more complete game.

5. Mr DeBakey says:

Gregor is reporting over at ON that Pouliot is in some danger too

The paid media guys speak with one voice on Pouliot.
    And it ain't a pretty one
    He disappointed them too many times.

I'm thinking this addition must mean that the Brule experiment is over.

If I had to guess, the F depth chart might be:

C

R
    Hemsky
    O'Sullivan
    Pisani
    Stortini
    Nilsson

You know, that's a mess. An actual mess.

8. oilerdago says:

LT: I hope you're right that we can at least get a pick back for Schremp, but I'm not holding my breath.

9. DangerMan says:

I think Comrie will get his shot at C. Otherwise this team will be rolling with 3C at 22 or under, and that ain't pretty either. I think Comrie is here in case Gagner isn't ready to make that next step.

10. DangerMan says:

LT, what would the depth chart look like if Cogliano was moved to LW and Comrie to C? It would look a smidge more balanced

11. Coach pb9617 says:

Comrie is less ready than Gagner to face tough western minutes.

12. Coach pb9617 says:

Heh – Buccigross deleted "Heatley to SJ, Marleau to LA, Stoll and Frolov to Ottawa" from his twitter a few seconds after he posted it.

Send Stoll and Frolov here, Murray!!!

14. pboy says:

It's just inexplicable that this team has the same holes year after year. I'm willing to give Tambo a long leash but he's not really instilling any confidence in me so far this season. We overpaid for Bulin and gave up an extra year, we looked silly to some degree in the Heatley debacle because we just wouldn't take no for an answer and the glaring hole at 3C is still unfilled and there are multiple cheap options out there…

Major League

Jake Taylor: [Jake stands up] Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do. Roger Dorn: What's that? Jake Taylor: Win the whole fucking thing. …

Just replace Jake Taylor with Sheldown Souray & Roger Dorn with theCaptainethanmoreau

15. MDOilFan says:

does gagner have to change his number now? im gonna be pissed

16. DangerMan says:

I think he just dealt with the 3C problem by signing Comrie, and it ain't Comrie.

I don't think anyone really believes Mike Comrie is the 3C.

18. St George says:

I have to respectfully disagree. Sure there is. This team hasn't made a sensible move since G7 of the cup run. I am sure if they could have offloaded these guys they would have by now. Why trade for something you can get on waivers, should you even be interested.

19. Traktor says:

Throw another Schrempdog on the barbee. I would feel bad for him if Gagner wasn't the one to teach him about protein shakes.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

Per ESPN.com:

“Dany Heatley is headed to the San Jose Sharks, NHL sources confirmed to ESPN’s John Buccigross.

The 28-year-old forward was part of a three-team deal that will send the Sharks’ Patrick Marleau to the Los Angeles Kings and the Kings’ Alexander Frolov and Jarret Stoll to the Ottawa Senators."

What would you trade for Stoll?

Lombardi dumps the albatross (considering a falling cap next year) of Stoll's contract, while flopping pending UFA Frolov for pending UFA Marleau.

23. blackadder says:

Comrie is, I'll admit, an upgrade over Pouliot or Brule, but I think there were better options out there who more obviously fit into the grit/size need the team has. Still, now that he's here, I wonder if their plan is to try to create four somewhat balanced lines with a mix of skill/speed/size on each.

Horcoff-Pisani-Nilsson
    Gagner-Penner-Hemsky
    Cogliano-Jacques-O'Sullivan
    Pouliot/Brule-Moreau-Comrie

I'd like to think this isn't the group of forwards we go into the season with.

Oilers rookies against Canucks rookies streaming on the Oilers site.

Eberle set up Cornet for a PP marker early, 1-0 Oil. Motin is the best player on the ice, isn't close.

25. JB-"jiggyman" says:

This just proves we're going to see an extremely offensive minded team this season.

It's a solid move simply because it keeps Pouliot off the team. If Pouliot can beat out Brule/Schremp/everyone else then so be it, but we'll still need that veteran center to replace Pouliot come playoff time.

26. LMHF#1 says:

If Comrie's playing LW everything's up in the air now. He could end up with Horcoff and Hemsky or Pouliot and Pisani for all we know. O'Sullivan comes in somewhere too.

Another move's coming soon, I have nearly no doubt. Now that it's officially not Heatley…I wonder what plan B is. I'm pretty sure there is one.

27. Coach pb9617 says:

It's a solid move simply because it keeps Pouliot off the team..

Yes. Marc Pouliot is the problem.

28. OF17 says:

If the Heatley deal is correct, San Jose makes out like a bandit and the other two get hosed. Why does LA need Marleau badly enough to trade Frolov and Stoll for him? Frolov and Stoll are good enough for Ottawa, even though Frolov is a UFA? This makes no sense to me.

29. DangerMan says:

Motin looks like a real solid player. He's aggressive and built like a fire hydrant. Hoping his progression continues on. He was mentioning that he patterns his game after Mattias Norstrom, that would be a good thing for the Oilers org.

Brownlee indicated on Gregor's show that Comrie will get a very long look at 1LW.

Like LT said, when it comes to Comrie, Brownlee has the goods very often.

31. flamingpavelbure says:

WoW, if that trade is true, then the Kings are batshit crazy.

I wouldn't trade Frolov for Marleau one on 1, let alone giving stoll in the deal. Wake up Dean, that move is senseless.

As for the topic: Trade Nilsson for a possibly very low pick, as he just gained 15 pounds this off-season? (Most probably in muscle, or else he's walking a dangerous line). Idk, it seems like a dangerous plan.

32. Coach pb9617 says:

The season is saved!

His stride reminds me of someone, but I can't place him yet.

33. Traktor says:

I thought Stepan Novotny looked pretty damn good out there.

LA is dumping Stoll's contract. The cap is going down next year.

Stoll is a soft minute centre. Marleau is a better soft minute centre, and LA will have a decent chance of signing Marleau to an extension after test driving him.

A line with Gagner-Comrie-Hemsky against the soft parade might beat tar out of EVs, leaving Horcoff to battle the man-eating dragon with people like Pisani.

36. flamingpavelbure says:

Still, i wouldn't give up frolov, just so much more worth it then Marleau.

37. bookie says:

I would say that the trade should not be made until we find out which of the quasi-bubble boys (Nilson included) fairs least well under the mightly Quinn…

One thing I'd like to know is what exactly Nilsson's extra 15 pounds of muscle is going to do for him. He's not a player who spends a lot of time in scrums, is he? Big hitter?

I'll be interested in seeing what this extra weight does for him.

39. flamingpavelbure says:

Lowetide: It's never too late to add a little physical to your game. While it might not help him in an agressive form, surely in a passive way, as bigger guys are always tougher to check and bring down. Maybe he also saw that Oilers demanded more grit, so that could actually save his Oiler career. And de facto, his shot should get better, as he can put more weight on it. Anyways, fact is, he's just more in shape.

40. Coach pb9617 says:

AHA!

Motin's stride looks just like his. Or the feed is choppy and making me hallucinate.

41. Ribs says:

I wonder the same, LT. Likely it will just slow him down some. Speed is probably his greatest asset so it worries me a bit.

42. DangerMan says:

A Gagner/Hemsky combo doesn't have good dynamic as they both like having the puck too much are kinda lost without it. If Horcoff and Pisani are playing the heavies, then I think the 2nd in command should be Penner-Gagner-O'Sullivan and then I would try to find some good matchups for Hemsky's line.

43. kris says:

Just no way Heatley would agree to play in the Bay Area, and San Jose is like the worst part of the Bay Area.

I mean, there are like almost no seasons, it's always spring, and if you live too far west it's sometimes just too foggy and cool.

(Is there a team in the south of France he can go to?)

And who wants to play on Joe Thorton's wing?

I think Heatley will need some time to think it over.

44. bookie says:

LT – my take on the 15lbs is that it was something the Oilers wanted him to do. Perhaps the most important thing about it is Nilson is taking things seriously, which is probably all we really need him to do.

I also think that he lost a 195 lbs MacT off his back, so really he is quite a bit lighter overall!

Though…how much does Quinn weigh…and Renny too I guess…

45. bookie says:

I am hoping for a Thorton-Heatley Knee on Knee collision in game two of the season!

46. macndub says:

Kris: Win.

I think he can be convinced to play in SJ if he is provided limo to commute from Berkeley, where he can bone hawt hippie girls (and boys, I guess) who, uh, care a lot about hockey.

47. flamingpavelbure says:

It's Nilsson, not Nilson, that guy is old and called Marcus, and he's with the Yaroslav Lokomotiv.

48. RiversQ says:

Penner-Horc-Pisani and then Comrie-Gagner-Hemsky? That's actually kind of interesting. It requires some significant assumptions – Penner is still effective with lots of own zone starts and Gagner can handle the opposition – but they aren't crazy bets.

I'm no Comrie fan, but it's hard not to like this move for the price.

49. quain says:

Penner-Gagner-Cogliano should be the second toughs unit. Either they get slaughted and come a bit cheaper next season, or they're dynamite and we're in the playoffs. I'm happy either way.

50. Dennis says:

Riv: First off, drop me an email and we'll try and catch up. Been too long since I heard of you.

Secondly, yes, there's every chance Comrie can cover a soft min bet at this price but once again it means yet another move has to be made and until it's made – sending out potential scoring depth for proven tough min players – I think we're well within our right to panic.

Note: if I misrepersented what Brownlee said, I apologize.

51. PunjabiOil says:

Kevin Lowe: "We signed Comrie, brought up Brule. I'm thinking, Holy Mackarel! We got a lot of forwards"

52. doritogrande says:

Prout just held his own against a decent AHL grinder. Pretty good by the kid.

53. PunjabiOil says:

Eberle with 2G, 1A, 3PTS so far in the game against the Canucks prospects in Leduc county.

54. RiversQ says:

Didn't the Brick just go tits up? Bill has probably got the time but maybe not the money? Of course he probably slithered out of that awhile ago.

Dennis: just got back on the weekend. I'm back in Boston. We'll have to catch up for sure.

As it stands, the whole season rests on Gagner. If he's a true top sixer, this team actually doesn't look too bad, although Khabibulin could easily shitcan the whole season.

55. Travis Dakin says:

"Finally, when you see Captain Polite Brownlee talk about how this move means Bill Comrie will be more visible and philanthropic ( or something to that effect) in and to the city of Edm and how that's not a bad thing, then that says a lot, IMO."

Don't you ever get tired of playing the dick role?

56. doritogrande says:

And Cameron Abney with a goal. You heard that right.

57. doritogrande says:

Goal for Gallimore on a 3-on-2 rush created by Jeff Lee.

58. doritogrande says:

Nevermind, apparently Lee got the goal.

59. kris says:

Travis,

Dennis is fine. I don't remember everything Brownlee said on Stauffer's "Lunchy-Munchies Time" show, but I heard a bit of it and I don't think Dennis is that far off if he's using Brownlee for the media more generally.

Anyway, I doubt Brownlee needs you to defend him from such mild criticism.

60. boopronger says:

PJO that was hilarious.

61. Travis Dakin says:

Kris, I'm not defending him. Just asking a simple question. Dennis' schtick is just plain annoying most times and I wanted to know if it is tiring to keep it up.

62. oil dude says:

Doug MacLean hired as "special advisor" to Jim Balsillie in the event that he is awarded the Coyotes. Guess they don't plan winning any time soon regardless of where they play.

63. PunjabiOil says:

oildude – listen to Doug MacLean's interview with Bob McCown

Bob critiques Doug's 180 degree change in position on Jim Balsillie. Doug got pissed like a emo teenager, and called Bob McCown's position idiotic.

God bless Bob McCown.

64. JB-"jiggyman" says:

Yes. Marc Pouliot is the problem.

no, but Marc Pouliot being handed the 3rd or 4th line center duties pre training camp was a problem. The signing might keep one of Brule or Pouliot off the roster which is obviously a good thing. Either way it helps our depth at center. If Comrie ends up on the wing, it opens up O'Sullivan to play center.

We could very well see 3 "scoring lines" and 1 crash and bang type line with this roster makeup.

65. mc79hockey says:

@Travis – Why don't you let Brownlee fight his battles with Dennis?

66. Black Dog says:

hey hey the gang's all here

67. uni says:

Dennis seems to suffer from premature grumpy old gaffer syndrome, but other than that he's fine. Basically he shows you can be bitter and jaded with the Oilers but still not be a f-bomb dropping dink on the comment posts. There are a few posters I can think of who can learn from his example.

I don't think Pouliot has been handed anything. Seriously.

As for Dennis, he's welcome here anytime UNLESS he stops bringing his frank verbal and unique pov.

I missed him this summer. Very few "Ladislav Albelin" references. :-)

69. B.C.B. says:

Why can't all the bloggers get along? Isn't this communism?

PS: the best thing about signing Comrie is that Schremp is very quickly going to be gone, and the bloggers have a new whipping boy. I hated having to talk about Schremp every week or so; now I only have 19 or so days of hell left.

70. NBOilerFan says:

Besides the fact that Comrie is a real NHLer and its a good bet that he outperforms this contract…

… is he also versitile in that he helps support many weaknesses on this team.

If any of Gagner/Cogliano/Brule/Pouliot faulter down the middle, Comrie is an okay back-up plan.

If any of Penner/O'Sully/Nilsson/Cogs falter on the wings, Comrie is an okay back-up plan.

If the injury bug hit any of our forwards, Comrie is an okay back-up plan.

He might not be the best option at any one particular spot, but at this price, he is a good veristile experienced player that can fit into many spots whom has something to prove coming off a year that he was hampered by hip issues which he is apparently now over.

The Comrie signing is far from an issue for me, but it really makes more sense to me that they are looking at another deal in the coming days/weeks.

71. Travis Dakin says:

MC79- Why is there a battle that has to be fought in the first place? I'm not "sticking up" for Brownlee. He's big enough to do that for himself. I just don't understand his MO. Did an MSM journalist steal his girlfriend in high school? I just basically expressed how annoying I find the back handed remarks ALL the time from Dennis. I like the work Dennis does and for the most part agree with a lot of what he says but the constant digs (followed by the "just asking" or "If it turns out that I misinterpreted then I am sorry") at whoever come off as incredibly childish and really quite sad. It's just friggin' annoying. Is there anything wrong with me asking why? Or even can I ask, why don't you let Dennis fight his own battles?

72. Dennis says:

Trav: Well, it's good to be back, boys!:)

I don't know, I"m not 25% as nasty as I used to be or else me and Trav would have a little set-to:)

I just seperate the hockey from the non and there are some themes that are classic and the reporting is one of them.

As I agreed with Riv, Comrie has a good chance to cover that bet but overall the move doesn't make sense unless they trade some of the depth for a tough min pivot.

And I felt the need to include what Brownlee said because I think it repersents part of what might be wrong with the Oilers approach.

I know I come off as a grump but I just feel that a lot of what the Oilers do and how it's reported is off-base. Hey, maybe I'd feel the same way if I read every piece of news regarding all the other teams but I don't Care as much about those teams and I just don't have the time:)

73. quain says:

We've had a rash of amateur behavior monitoring here recently. What's up with that?

74. quain says:

Also: Good use of smiley faces to disarm your attacker, Dennis. How can anyone hate someone who makes heavy use of the colon key?

75. Jeff says:

I disagree. I think Schremp still has a chance. There are a lot more players on this that really don't deserve to play here and Schremp can take their spot if he plays amazing. He will have to be amazing though.

76. Travis Dakin says:

The smile got me. Damn you.

77. George B says:

Sure, we get a player that can cover his bet.

Sure, Bill and Darryl can watch Bill's boy over a beer and enjoy.

The end goal isn't to have a player cover his bet. The end goal is to improve the team and win games.

Does Mike Comrie help us win games? By itself it sucks badly. If it gives leniency to make other moves, and they actually get done, I can live with it.

If nothing else happens…"Well, I signed a small forward so I could bury another one in the minors." isn't a great strategy.

Anyone else here Tambo on CHED yesterday? He sounded like he was defensive and trying to spin this into a positive, and hardly believed it himself.

78. Schitzo says:

They're one and the same. In a salary cap world, it's the team who has $55 million worth of players who are performing like $75 million dollars that win it all.

79. George B says:

Schitzo, they are not one in the same.

If you have 20 players that at 5'9, it doesn't matter if they all make $1.125 million.

If you sign Betts for $750K you are a better team than if you sign Comrie for $1.125 million.

Truthfully it equates to Comrie has to outperform his contract more than the player he is replacing, PLUS the team has to cover the hole that still exists by signing a player they don't have a need for anyways.

80. Travis Dakin says:

zah?????

How about they sign Comrie who is an upgrade on Nilsson and cheaper, turn around and trade Nilsson for a Betts type. Does that not make your team better?

81. George B says:

zah?????

If you are looking at team strategy and make up, you can do what you are suggesting, then sure, you come out ahead.

At this point we are one smurf short of a Saturday morning special…although Pisani does bear a striking resemblance to Gargamel.

82. flamingpavelbure says:

One flaw in your plan.

Nilsson had a superior last season than Comrie, even if you guys are ready to lynch Nilsson.

Look up the stats.

83. George B says:

Comrie is a better NHL player and was injured most of the year. Comparing their year last year isn't a fair assessment.

Regardless…adding Comrie with the same line up is a bad idea…not good.

84. raventalon40 says:

We should do what we can to acquire Brandon Dubinsky. Of course Rangers would need to take some salary back so we can re-sign him, though.