Islanders at Oilers, PS G2/09-10

Yesterday the Oilers posted the lines for tonight’s game (below) and what jumped out at me was that Sam Gagner is the future. Just as Doug Weight gave up his linemates to a 20-year old Mike Comrie almost a decade ago, I think there’s a real chance Shawn Horcoff will (at least for extended periods) lose Ales Hemsky to Sam Gagner’s line this season.

If the Oilers can find a line that can dominate against the soft parade (as represented by the Gagner line below) and find two horses to ride the rough terrain with Horcoff there might be something to this group.

I still say someone will be arriving in the next few weeks. Pat Quinn said nice things about O’Sullivan last night and liked a few men although he did say it was early. Here are the reported lines up front, they are likely to change a little as this was yesterday:

• Gagner-Nilsson-Hemsky
  • Cogliano-Penner-Eberle
  • Reddox-Cornet-Pisani
  • Brule-MacIntyre-Pouliot

Islanders may play the wunderkind Tavares tonight, he had the flu the other night and didn’t play against the Canucks. I find it interesting that Pouliot is on the wing and tonight we be a good time for him to show something. Traditionally he shows just enough to survive, he’ll need to be better than that this fall. Reddox in the middle is a little odd and if you haven’t seen Cornet (Corn-ay) before you’re in for a treat.

Post the D and lines (if they’re different) please, have a nice day.

284 Responses to "Islanders at Oilers, PS G2/09-10"

Newer Comments »
  1. Smarmy Boss says:

I'll be at the Isles/Oiler game and hope to see both Gagner (my son's fave player) and Tavares dress.

2. digger says:

From the Journal, in no particular order:

Souray
    Smid
    Grebeshkov
    Motin
    Taylor
    Young

It also mentioned the 4th line looks to be Pouliot, MacIntyre and either Brule or Trukhno.

3. Schitzo says:

Excited about Motin, and glad for a chance to see more of Cornet.

But considering the way this game has been hyped ("See Tavares!") he'd better dress.

4. DBO says:

probably too excited about tonight. So much speculation all summer. LT thanks for this blog, it's a staple to start my day before i start the real work.

Things I hope to see tonight:
    - Cogliano play really well in an offensive role so he may be spared the pain of playing with Moreau
    - Tavares actually dressing
    - the Oilers playing an uptempo style (and from the news last night it seems like they have been allowed to forecheck and play up tempo way moreso then last year)
    - Motin having a solid game, and forcing the team to consider moving a dman for a top flight scorer with size, thus allowing us to move Staios. i like steady Steve, but while it's early he looked old last night. he's logged a lot of miles, and been a warrior, but his cap hit for the next 2 years could be better used.
    - Khabibulin not blowing his groin in the first period. I would hate to see an early injury that forces us to deal a 2nd rd pick for one of the isles extra goalies.
    - Lastly, that gagner and hemsky show so much chemistry that Quinn will be forced to play them together, thus allowing the Oil to play Horcoff in the tough minutes role.

how about these lines

Nilsson-Gagner-Hemsky
    Penner-Comrie-O'Sullivan
    Cogliano-Horcoff-Pisani
    Moreau-Brule/pou-Stortini

Oh optimisim you do spring eternal every fall.

5. oilerdago says:

Motin seems to be generating quite a bit of buzz in camp so far. It would be nice to see him move up the depth chart short of there being some trades (like the one LT keeps prophecying about).

He could become a deal sweetner to help unclog the backlog at forward too…but I hope not.

I do hope he's kept around long enough so that we see him against some of the other teams regulars later in camp tho.

6. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

DBO: if that first line can indeed kill the soft then those lines look like a solid team to me.

Really, as long as Gagner can take a step forward with Hemsky this year then it actually looks like a few good combinations are possible and LW used to balance out the lines in a number of ways (from earlier pairings Penner and Nilsson could be switched). We'd still be tiny, but each line gives me hope.

7. DBO says:

The thing about those lines is there is only 1 smurf line. The other ones have good balance, some defensively responsible players and some size. the horcoff line woudl have a chance to out score their opposition, and even the 4th line would be responsible, allowing Quinn to roll 4 lines. It also frees horcoff up to not play the 1st PP unit.

8. CapeBretonOilers says:

Those lines do look good ..However thats a big IF that 2/3 of the top line step up this year …

9. misfit says:

It's a shame Pouliot's going to be playing the wing again this training camp. He's always looked much better, and has been far more effetive, at center. Plus, he's probably our 2nd best faceoff man after Horcoff.

That's an interesting mix of defenders. I hope Motin continues to impress. He was the guy I had pegged to impress the most at camp, and if Visnovsky can't start the season, he's my darkhorse to start the season in Edmonton. It's still very early though.

10. N says:

I made that very lineup shakeup today on my brand new copy of EA sports NHL10.

It's Gags-Cogs-Hemmer then Horc-Penner-O'sully. Gags and Hemmer = magic!

And Nilsson and a 2nd got me Partick Sharp! Cmon Tambellini, if I can do it you can!

It

11. Undisclosed Personal Reasons says:

I didn't notice if Peckham was in the lineup last night but I did notice Staios make some familiar mistakes in his own end against AHLers.

Is it ridiculous to suggest that we bury Staios (in the AHL) and play Peckham/Strudwick-Smid?

12. gogliano says:

If we have something like a Gags-Nilsson-Hemsky line, I'm not sure the "kill the soft" is the strategy. It seems more like "balance the lines." Hemsky can match up against anybody at this point in his career and he may be asked to babysit in tough situations.

Have Horc on line 1B. Have a two-way player on line 3 (Pisani?). And roll em Quinn style.

I'm not whether or not I like it, just it fits with Quinn's stated desire of having on player who can play it both ways. Hemsky is good enough to do it, he is not simply a soft line player.

Nilsson – Gagner – Hemsky

Penner – Cogliano – Eberle

Cornet – Reddox – Pisani

Trukhno – Pouliot – MacIntyre

Souray – Smid

Grebeshkov – Motin

Young – Taylor

Deslauriers

Dubnyk

14. Ribs says:

Pouliot and Trukhno on the same line? I guess we know which line we're rooting for.

15. uni says:

The first two lines are interesting.

Nilsson – Gagner – Hemsky are all easily labelled as playmakers with a clear pass first mentality.

Penner – Cogliano – Eberle have no playmakers and but I suppose none of them can be considered finishers save for Eberle.

Would have thought they'd mix the players from those 2 lines up a bit.

16. bookie says:

I would worry about the politics of doing so. I mean "Edmonton is a great place to play, but…" is already a problem here. Adding disrespect to vetrans in that list might have other costs. It sucks, but I think that is the way it is.

17. NBOilerFan says:

Wow that top line is going t be interesting to watch.

Also, a bit off topic, but from an article in the Journal today, Quinn is not so big on heavyweights on a team, they have to be able to play as well… looks like Big Mac might not be as much of a frontrunner for a spot as might have thought.

Reports are that he is lighter and in good shape and looks a bit faster, we'll see if its enough and tonight will tell us lots probably, considering he's a long shot to be a great contributer without his fists.

18. dubya says:

Anyone else think that Kip Brennan actually looked like a hockey player last night? For a big dude he can certainly skate.

19. Mr DeBakey says:

According to Gregor:
    "Reddox started the first half of practice in the middle with Pisani and Cornet, but then he switched jerseys with Pouliot half way through."

Therefore:
    Cornet – Pouliot – Pisani
    Reddox – Trukhno – MacIntyre

Better methinks

20. cartooncolin says:

TSN has Roli in net for the Isles tonight ….

21. NormanMendoza says:

Gregor reporting on ON that Pouliot got moved up to the line with Pisani and Cornet.

Unless he's been lied to.

22. Jon says:

I can't help but think about the chemistry between comrie and Hemsky back in the day. What about these lines.

Penner Comrie Hemsky
    (New nintendo line?)

O's Horcoff Gagner
    (our co-top line)

Nillson Cogs Pisani
    (fernie's kids…this line was once productive)

Moreau Brule Storts
    (crash, bang, and slash line)

23. Mr DeBakey says:

The Ched/Oilers crew [who pays Tencer & Staffer?] were pumping Stone in the post-game interviews.

I only saw the 1st period,
    but from that and comments here,
    Stone wasn't as good as all that.

24. speeds says:

I'm surprised the Oilers are giving Eberle such high quality ice time, wasn't guessing that they really wanted to keep him up this year.

Similar "problem" as with Gagner – What happens if he produces?

"Unless he's been lied to."

YOU ARE WRONG!

Is that old yet?

26. speeds says:

forgot to ask, is today's game streaming?

Wouldn't mind getting another look at Trukhno…

It will be on the Oilers' website with Phillips and Stauffer doing play by play.

28. doritogrande says:

Looks like a really good lineup for the Oilers tonight. And with me having nothing to do, I get to crack a beer, sit back and watch my first Oilers game of the year.

I know he's a longshot at this point, but I can't help but root for Cornet. He's got offensive potential and knows how to get dirty. We said the same thing about Trukhno years back, so I'm not going to count my chickens yet. His year will be judged on whether he makes Team Canada in December.

Also looking forward to seeing Motin and Grebeshkov. Anyone else think that Grebs will like this kind of pairing where he can be more offensive? Might cut down on his LSD induced spazzes in the defensive zone.

And Deslauriers is getting a second start in a row? I'll believe that when I see it.

29. bookie says:

Quotes today

Quinn"I expect our big people to finish their checks with a firmness, and sometimes fights result because of that. But I've never said to someone, 'You have to be a fighter.' I've never believed in carrying someone on the bench just for that reason."

So, bye bye Smac, it was fun, particularly that one hit!

Moreau"I think there will be more emphasis on how we used to play, a skating, physical, aggressive team. It's fun to play that way and we've had success in the past. I think our fans appreciate that style of play."

Horcoff "He said you can go down and create anything you want," said Horcoff. "But if you turn that puck over you better be the first one back."

These and a number of other comments kind of confirm that this was a team that felt as though they were restricted in the use of creativity. The 2-play power play suggested that to me last year. PLayers were terrified of making an 'unplanned pass'. Maybe MacT beat them or something. I think that increasingly over the last few years MacT thought he was coaching Football or something.

Anyway, I think it will work out better. It may be blind immature optimism, but I think this team has more talent than it has shown.

30. geowal says:

I only saw the 1st period,
    but from that and comments here,
    Stone wasn't as good as all that

At the game last night I thought Stone was one of the more noticeable oilers. Skated pretty agressively, had some hits, shots.

Aside from that Horcoff was clearly skating hardest/fastest, Shremp looked interested in the puck when not on his stick, and the brawler line was just fun times.

31. Schitzo says:

I think it makes sense, based on how the oilers have drafted the last couple of years. If you're going to go out of your way to draft "cerebral" players, size be damned, then for christ's sake let them use that creativity once in a while.

32. B.C.B. says:

@ dubya:

Yes, I thought Brennen skated decent for a big man, and far better then SMac does. I rather have Brennen and Zorg on my 23 man roster then Zorg and SMac . . . but Brennen has an AHL contract and SMac a NHL, so I wonder if that will be the final difference.

@ all those Folks that think Hemsky should be a soft-minute man, and Horcoff a 3C:

The problem with this is that these are the top two Oilers' outscorers, or PvP players. They can actually play against the best competition and still come out ahead. No other players have demonstrated this ability so far.
    Maybe Quinn won't line match (but I think he will), but we all can agree that opposition coaches will line match. The opposition coach (especially when they are at home) will play his best players against the soft-minute duo of Hemsky-Gagner. This line (the duo and the third wheel) will be eaten alive in a PvP strategy.
    The only way I can see this working is if the Oilers, do pull that trade and get a real offensive threat that plays wing. Then the duo of Horc-the New Guy might draw top opposition away form Gags-Hemsky. This would allow the Oilers coaching staff to have two outscorers on one line (Horc/New Guy) and one on another line (Hemsky). OR we could be reasonable and play them all on one line (New Guy-Horc-Hemskey). IMO, Hemsky can only play the soft minutes if we can get another winger to play the tough minutes and that has the ability to strike fear in the opposition's coach.

33. Gord says:

Mr DeBakey,

I did not notice Stone on the ice last night (not necessarily a bad thing).

But the stats show he was penalty killing for more than seven minutes & did not get scored against.

Yes I know he was not facing Iginla but still…….

speeds: I believe it is being streamed, in fact I read somehwere they all were.

"The opposition coach (especially when they are at home) will play his best players against the soft-minute duo of Hemsky-Gagner. This line (the duo and the third wheel) will be eaten alive in a PvP strategy."

I think this is a key point.

We can call them a soft minutes line, but if they are in Calgary you can bet that JBo-Regehr is going to be out there against them 90%+ of the time.

Nothing soft about that, and every other coach in the NHL will do the same thing.

Gotta spread it out a bit to try to saw off (or win) PvP and win the 2nd line scoring battle.

36. PDO says:

Woodguy:

It's not Bouwmeester and Regehr you worry about…

… it's the Iginla line.

37. NBOilerFan says:

I'm one of the minority I'm sure, but I love having MacIntyre on this club and I hope he stays. His fights only ranked second to Hemsky's dazzle as far as bringing me to the edge of my seat.

And with these small guys,I still feel that we need him, even in a limited capacity.

As proved in the past we certainly don't have a toughness by committee team as Lowe/MacT had always hoped. Way to many small bodies for that.

Withut Big Mac all we have is 'huggy-bear' and as much as I respect him for going up against just about anyone, and he can handle himself okay, he is not enough.

Then we have Souray and Moreau which are tough, but are discouraged, or should be, due to injury concerns (mainly previous sholder injuies).

Then we have some rare toughness shown in players such as Staios, Smid, Strudwick, and even rarer, Penner. But they don't add up to enogh, IMO.

Though teh addition of crazy train helps.

But I like nothing better, and feel a lot more confident, playing against tough teams like Calgary with SMAc in the lineup. And I think the players can play with a tad less fear as well.

38. rickibear says:

BCB: The only Outscorers both of the last two years

1. Horcoff against toughs
    2. Nilsson Against the mids

Outscorers last year: Rankred by comp then outscoring.
    Tough:
    1.Horcoff
    Mids
    2. Penner
    3. Gagner
    4. Hemsky
    5. Nilsson

The lines and Average
    Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Nilsson-Horcoff-Pisani

39. digger says:

PDO:

I'll bet Hemsky would have a different opinion, as he's tearing into Calgary's zone on Regehr's side of the ice.

How many times has he been wallpapered by him over the years, exactlY? ;)

40. bookie says:

The idea of his fights was great, but as I remember it (could be wrong) he wasn't exactly a killer out there.

Also, he takes up a roster spot that could be useful.

We may need him as a nucular deterent, but I am not convinced. It seems as though Quinn may not play him so we may need to dump him.

"Woodguy:

It's not Bouwmeester and Regehr you worry about…

… it's the Iginla line."

I see your point, but don't lose focus on who is on the backend is included in QualComp.

42. spOILer says:

At the game last night…

Staios was awful. One of the worst performances I have ever seen out of him. And it was aginst hobos and ragamuffins. Maybe he was only playing 3/4 but I doubt it. I am seriously concerned about his play.

LT, I'm not sure where Chorney is at compared to last TC. He made two pinches late where he got burned, but made it back to break up the play on both. So his decision-making is still an issue. His size still looks to be a concern, and we may just have a slightly bigger version of MAB on our hands.

And to bookie>

SJS can bury McLaren's contract in the minors (and NJD have done the same), but we cannot with Staios?

But even then I would be loathe to replace him outright with Peckham or Motin. I'd rather have a large bodied vet, or run with 7D/11F and call Strudwick that guy and use one of the rooks.

43. DBO says:

rickibear: i like those two lines.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Nilsson-Horcoff-Pisani

add

Cogliano-Comrie-O'Sullivan

and that's 3 really good lines, and Nilsson becomes the passer on that tough minutes line.

44. Mr DeBakey says:

"But even then I would be loathe to replace him outright with Peckham or Motin."

I read that
    Carolina are looking to move Babchuk for
    something that includes minimal current salary.

Would that be Chorney & Brule?

45. bookie says:

I don't know to be honest. I would hope we could and if he plays bad enough I suspect we should be able to get away with it. I am not really sure what the impact would be, but I just thoght there could be respect issues.

What do others think?

46. pboy says:

Steady Steve is a notoriously slow starter and it usually takes him 20 games or so to get his game together. The problem of course, is that one of these years he won't find his game at all and the Oilers will have paid him big money to be a detriment to the team. If a player is going to be sent to the minors and his NHL salary is going to be eaten, I think it's going to be Staios. Not this year IMO but next season.

47. hunter1909 says:

Quinn was brought in to sweep away the garbage and the trash from the last maladministration, and as of right now poor multimilliaire Staios appears to fit that bill.

Dismantling the cancerous culture takes time I know, but the best and most efficient way to do it is quickly, and ruthlessly. Luckily for everyone concerned, Quinn knows this better than most. Sounds like Steve had best either pack his bags or shape up in a big hurry, once Quinn gets a butcher's at Peckham beating the living daylights out of someone in an exhibition game.

48. Steve says:

Steve Staios is a legitimate third pairing NHL defenseman. The problem is that the going rate on those is a dime a dozen, and Staios is costing us well over $0.0083. Ideally we'd ship him and a fourth round pick to some non-cap team in exchange for a fifth round pick, or something (we might be able to do better than that; I'm just assuming that overpaid third pairing guys don't command a lot of return) so he could finish his career in the NHL with some dignity.

I don't think he's actually worse than Peckham or Strudwick right now, though, and he's actually probably somewhat better.

49. Bruce says:

maladministration

= Word o' the day

Good one, Hunter.

50. spOILer says:

Mr DeB>

Babchuk really? Isn't CAR only payin him like a million bucks?

Hmm, Sportsnet says he scored 16 goals last year, was a plus player, decent size AND he's that great rarity, a RH shot. Grebs got a much better payday for less goals, less size, LH shot, yadda yadda.

Is there something funny with his situation there, or does he just skate like a loaded cement truck stuck in first?

Oh crap, I just checked NHL Numbers, I see now, he's an unsigned RFA… And I imagine he's looking for a big payday after that season.

Hmmm, wonder if he would sign for Staios money? Since we're trading Vishnovsky at the 2010 draft, that might not be such a bad idea.

51. Ed says:

"once Quinn gets a butcher's …"
    sentence of the day? :-)

I only caught about a period and a half but I think the Staios criticism is a bit overblown.
    1. It was a preseason game
    2. Staios >>Strudwick not even close.

No, he won't outperform his contract but it's almost irrelevant. What would the oilers do with that extra money? If they really needed the caproom because something big was on the table they would make a move somehow. Until that happens he's the best option for #6 the oil have right now.

52. bookie says:

Ed – First of all, sorry about that byelection, that was bad news for you.

Second, if Staois is not annointed as the team whipping boy, someone else is. So, if you are going to defend Staois, who do you suggest we make the whipping boy?

Yeah, Ed. Geez sorry about the bye-election. I don't think it was a message or anything, just keep doing what you're doing.

54. Alice says:

Bye-election?

sweet word there, too.

Damn. Did I spell it wrong? I swear Canada gave me a sweet education. Now it was before they figured out how to bind books but nevertheless…

56. bookie says:

Its tempting to get into a political discussion here, but I am for great education programs, legal marijuana and prostitution, shooting bad guys like rapists and drunk drivers (or just cutting off their head on the first offence with more severe penalties for second offences), awesome well-funded health care, bike paths, high gas prices, raises for MLAs and MPs, Free Trade, an awesome LRT system (though I would call it a Metro) and a Free Arena for Daryl Katz. I would also tax gas and cigarettes more.

There ain't no party that represents that!

Go Oilers Go!

You've got my vote!!

58. doritogrande says:

Islanders roster for tonight is as follows as per their team page:

3 D CALVIN DEHAAN
    1 G MIKKO KOSKINEN
    52 G NATHAN LAWSON

59. doritogrande says:

Lawson starts.

Sutton and Meyer.

Bergenheim-Tavares-Weight.

That's all I've got so far as for lineup combinations.

Doug Weight. Beauty player.

61. doritogrande says:

They've been going on and on about how great he's been for Tavares. I guess he's hit that point where he knows the best thing he can do for the game is develop the superstar talent.

I love when players reach that point. Tkachuk's one of the best in that aspect.

62. Icecastles says:

No Roli? Too bad, though I'm relieved… it would be like seeing your gorgeous ex-girlfriend on a date with another guy while you're consoling yourself with the spinster from work… whose dinner costs too much and is going to be too hard to get rid of.

63. NBOilerFan says:

Has the game started? Is it being streamed?

64. Icecastles says:

NB – Yeah it's being streamed at the site, though I can't get a decent connection so I'm just listening on Ched. Internet radio feed is usually delayed a minute or two, but they're introducing the lineup right now.

65. NBOilerFan says:

Ahhhh…. got it working now.

Anyone else catch the intro with Old Timey Coach promising the team will play hard all year?

Interesting.

Oilers coming out to Nickelback.

67. doritogrande says:

Of course, internet chooses this moment to fuck with my life. I'm now in the basement with a laptop.

This better be worth it.

68. PDO says:

Same song that the Flames came out too.

Kinda weird, but it's a good song for this kind of thing.

69. Icecastles says:

Woodguy – is it the Nickelback tune that CBC played before the SCF Game 7 in '06? I'm not a fan of the band, but that song brings me to tears just by the memories it evokes.

70. doritogrande says:

Dubnyk starts.

71. NBOilerFan says:

I have two favorites that I'm routing for at this TC, Jacques and Brule… but I'm also hoping for a good showing from Trukhno.

72. Icecastles says:

I hear the fans singing O Canada behind Laurieu (sp). Aah, I'm already drunk on Oilers Kool Aid.

Is anyone else having buffering issues with the video stream? It keeps rebuffering for me… Maybe you should all get off the damn internet and let me watch my game. :)

73. bookie says:

Actually it's kind of like being the friend of the guy who thought that his girlfriend was gorgeous when everyone else realized that she was nothing special and that really all she is now is somebody's back up girlfriend.

74. kris says:

Damn feed won't load!

75. doritogrande says:

Calvin De Hann, he who will forever be remembered as "That other Islanders 2009 first rounder" made nice breakout pass there.

That shift by the Pouliot line was a big bag of vomit. Didn't do a thing until Reddox got on the ice.

Poor, poor shift.

77. doritogrande says:

Dangerous hit from Young there. Islanders' back was turned if I saw it correctly.

78. bookie says:

I had no luck through the Oilers site, but if you go to NHL.com, there is a link there that worked. Right on the main page (watch Taverees…)

Googled some lyrice, Nickelback tune is "Burn it to the ground"

Oilers being outplayed by ECHL and some AHLers.

80. flamingpavelbure says:

I swear if i hear that announcer say CORNAY one more time, there will be blood!

It's a french name FFS!

Stop murdering' Pouliot and Cornet's names!

Will we have to teach you like Rouaahhhhh?

81. doritogrande says:

that goal's 100% on Pisani.

You mean Roy?

83. Icecastles says:

Boo humbug.

84. Steve says:

I swear if i hear that announcer say CORNAY one more time, there will be blood!

It's a french name FFS!

Stop murdering' Pouliot and Cornet's names!

Um, if "Cornet" is a French name, then "Cornay" is pretty much the correct pronunciation.

85. doritogrande says:

I swear if i hear that announcer say CORNAY one more time, there will be blood!

Well it sure as hell ain't Corn Ett. How would you like the beautiful french name pronounced sir? Because I'm perfectly fine with Cornay.

86. bookie says:

I pretty much just follow this sport for the T-shirt tosses. Those things are awesome.

87. doritogrande says:

You mean Roy?

That was Pisani being lazy when he tried to break out one-on-one, was it not?

I wish he was Cournoyer, but he's pretty good as it is.

89. Icecastles says:

Hahaha the Medicine Shop is advertising during an Oilers game. I'd have thought Rexall would have some sort of exclusive on that one.

Those who can see the game: did Tavares get a tip-in on that goal?

90. doritogrande says:

Penner just took that draw instead of Cogliano.

A sign of things to come this year?

dorito: Yeah, totally. I was remarking on how to pronounce Patrick Roy.

92. doritogrande says:

Are the nets bigger in the Dub? Eberle rings a sure goal off the post.

Eberle must have borrowed Horc's stick for the game.

Wide open net, off the post.

Cogs, Fats, Eberle look good. Only line skating.

Saw Fats finish a check. I'm serious! *swoon*

94. flamingpavelbure says:

Cornay is not the right way.

that's the way you say it.

95. doritogrande says:

It is UNBELIEVABLY HOT woman night at Rexall. Holy shit.

96. doritogrande says:

Cornay is not the right way.

Buddy, that's a fucking musical instrument. Not a name.

Dumb.

97. bookie says:

Is MacT coaching this Power Play?

98. doritogrande says:

I don't know who this Lawson kid is, but that's the save of his career even if he plays another decade.

99. flamingpavelbure says:

Dorito: K, but your pronounce it's name the same way. It was an EXAMPLE

Oilers Goal: Ales Hesmky Assisted by Sam Gagner and Robert Nill… wait WHAT?!

Sounds like CorNay to me.

Maybe a bit like CorNair.

Unreal stick save on Hemsky.

Penner in front of net on PP1. Yay!

101. doritogrande says:

Is MacT coaching this Power Play?

If this is the case again this year, it's clear that Souray coaches the PP.

102. bookie says:

You pronounce a name the way the guy who's name it is wants it pronounced. That is why I think it is stupid that we call Deutschland Germany…

103. doritogrande says:

Dorito: K, but your pronounce it's name the same way. It was an EXAMPLE

I can pronounce either two different ways. Why not Cornet?

104. Icecastles says:

WTF someone hit the net already! Maybe Horcoff is coaching the powerplay.

105. bookie says:

Unreal stick save on Hemsky.

It was the D-man's stick that stopped the puck. It hit the shaft.

106. doritogrande says:

Ladislav Smid, learn to not turn your back to a hit.

I cringe everytime I see him turn in.

Cor-nay sure is good!

"It was the D-man's stick that stopped the puck. It hit the shaft."

Really looked like the goalie on the replay.

You can't stop the Edmonton Oilers, but don't worry because they can't hit an open net!!

Should be 1-1. You can give one to the hockey Gods but one of those should have gone in.

110. Dennis says:

I just checked out 5 min of the game and it was worth it just to see all the crowd shots in between the play.

Some very random thoughts:

- it has been ages since I've listened to an NHL game on the radio but Phillips is as behind the action as he ever was and there was nearly a min pass and he didn't realize the Oilers were on a 5-on-3.

- maybe I'm getting old:) but it struck me as odd that they played Cherry Pie over the PA while showing pictures of the ladies in attendance.

- it seems wrong for pat quinn to be behind our bench.

111. bookie says:

Really looked like the goalie on the replay.

I was pretty sure it hit the dmans stick (when watching the replay), but I could be wrong.

112. doritogrande says:

I don't know what Trukhno's doing tonight. Passing to nobody, lazy backchecking. Maybe he wants to play in Russia?

Nice play by Pouliot behind his own net there. Nice.

114. doritogrande says:

Cogliano draws his second penalty of the period.

115. pboy says:

I'm well aware that the Oilers are full up on developmental players as it is but Eberle doesn't look all that out of place. Of course, it's the pre-season and the NYI aren't dressing their A team but the kid looks alright.

116. Black Dog says:

Coming from a little bit of French stock let me weigh in here. If you live in the US then you might be called Corn-et.

But Corn-ay is correct.

Like Michel Goul-ay -remember him?

Or chicken – poul-ay – poulet.

Plus anyone getting worked up about a preseaaon game – ie / my God they're losing! – have a drink.

You're mental.

Please just let nobody get hurt.

117. doritogrande says:

Three 08 draft picks in the lineup tonight. How would you currently rank them guys?

Motin
    Eberle
    Cornet

Motin just looks like a professional at this point. And to me the difference between Eberle and Cornet is awful close in terms of preparedness.

118. Ribs says:

Trukhno looks like he needs a coach to sit down with him and really talk to him about his situational choices on the ice. He really looks like a player physically, he just needs the smarts to go along with that to make him a complete package.

Cogs draws two penalties by keeping his feet moving.

Gagne and Hemsky don't seem to know what to do with each other.

Rowboat has been invisible.

Souray looks disengaged.

French Trumpet looks good. (don't want my pronunciation corrected)

McIntyre really can't skate at all, I guess he doesn't make the team based on what OTC has been saying about what kind of lines he wants to have.

120. Mr DeBakey says:

Dan "19 Forwards" Tencer just asked a great question!

But, I think I heard it before

Dan Nineteencer

BDHS: I've taken your advice and padded the area from the sofa to the beer fridge. CAREFUL EVERYONE!! It's pre-season for us too!

With regard to french horn (Al Hirt?) I think this is what happens. You play in scrimmages and everything is pretty cool but once the opposition is actual opposition things change.

I have no reason for Trukhno's performance, he looks poor but does have more strength and speed this fall.

Poo has actual poo on his boots tonight but he's done a couple of nice things.

Hopefully it will only take Quinn a game or two to figure out that 5-on-5, Gagner with Hemsky is a lousy idea.

Nilsson with Gagner is a bad idea, too.

124. hunter1909 says:

Nice to see the Oilers trying to play hockey, as in skating in waves toward the other teams goal. And hustling to get the puck back, despite giving it away a lot.

Still using that Route One style Powerplay – endlessly handing it over to Souray.

125. doritogrande says:

While I agree, he's impressed the hell out of me for a 5th rounder. He has big game experience already in his career (Memorial Cup with Rimouski) and lead his team in points. In fact scored more than Eberle last season.

Like I said earlier, making the U20's this year should be the goal if we're to believe he has NHL potential. He's definitely a guy to root for though.

126. speeds says:

That period was the worst I've seen of Trukhno, everytime I've seen him previously he's had a great read of the ice, didn't appear to be the case in the first period.

127. doritogrande says:

Question,

Is anyone else taking issue with the sound on the live feed? It sounds like I've blown a speaker, but is fine when I pipe my own music through.

dorito: Absolutely. The fact that he's on the team (and for that matter Motin and Eberle) is a credit to his development so far. He's a good prospect taken in a round of the draft where you don't expect much.

129. Ribs says:

Dorito- I'm getting the blown speaker effect now and then as well.

130. doritogrande says:

Someone talked to Trukhno. Very solid first shift in the second frame.

131. Mr DeBakey says:

Thy're using the Pouliot line after the Oiler's PP

Good shift there

132. doritogrande says:

I know we're missing PKers, but it's really nice to see Cogliano out there.

I think he could thrive if given PK time with his speed.

Rod Phillips is a good man. I'm just saying that now.

134. doritogrande says:

Joensuu.

I love that name for no other reason that Rod cannot for the life of him pronounce it.

135. doritogrande says:

He didn't score, but that's the exact reason I want Cogliano on the PK.

The scary part of that 2 on 1 was that Penner kept up with 13.

136. Alice says:

Did he ever keep up.

137. Ender says:

But Corn-ay is correct.

138. Mr DeBakey says:

Cornet – Pouliot – Trukhno

"The Queue"

Don't you mean the "Quet?"

140. doritogrande says:

Sheldon Souray in mid-season form.

Cracked the pane of glass.

141. NBOilerFan says:

Is it just me, or is Pouliot just not a very good skater?

I thought he'd have better wheels then this by now.

142. geowal says:

Interesting blurb from Tencer from the radio feed, talking about people standing in front on the powerplay:

"Last season Souray was campaigning for Penner to get more powerplay time, because he was the only one willing to stand in front of his shot, and they needed somebody to stand in front"

Clearly Souray wasn't coaching the powerplay last season…

143. William says:

Souray. Wow.

I remember stories of Siltanen ripping the mesh on a shot, but that was something else.

144. loudog says:

Ender: "Seconded. Both of my parents are french and one of my first languages is french (the other is english – yes, you can have 2 first languages) and it's definitely CorNay (or at least that's the closest you'll get to it with a NA accent)"

I too come from a francophone backgound.. and if I may give my 0,02$, the closest correct prononciation of 'Cornet' in English would be like COR-"NE" – in this case the "NE" coming from "NET" (as in the hockey "net" in english) but without saying the T.

So thats CORNET, but no pronunciation of the T.

Also, interestingly enough, Cornet in french also means Ice cream cone. (as in 'un cornet de crème glacée) lol.

145. flamingpavelbure says:

Yes lou explained correctly, btw i'm french and live in Quebec so… ehhh!

Manger le cornet de creme glacée!
    Ou est la piscine?
    La bibliothéque?

146. doritogrande says:

Wow. Great scrap from MacIntyre.

147. doritogrande says:

A second one? Dear sweet lord Sheldon Souray.

148. Icecastles says:

Kill! Kill! Mwaaaaa I wish I could see this.Tell me Mac crushed… whoever it was.

149. William says:

Okay, did they use the 2nd class plexi this year in Rexall? Clearly Edmonton needs a new downtown arena with glass that doesn't break.

Souray breaks another pane of glass. He's like a machine.

151. Alice says:

I think they need a new arena,

152. doritogrande says:

Icecastles:

SMac crancked him a couple good ones, but the young Islander really made it an exciting fight.

It was a helluva fight, but MacIntyre didn't crush the guy. I don't know who he is and Rod is no help tonight (he's trying) but the Islander stood in there nicely.

154. Perry K says:

Can you believe that Souray! Broke another pane!

155. Ender says:

the closest correct prononciation of 'Cornet' in English would be like COR-"NE"

I hear ya. That's a pretty good approximation, though the real pronunciation would be somewhere between those two. Kind of an upper and lower bound, I guess.

Though, to be fair, ending a word that way in english tends to make it blend into the next. I think that's why et tends to be spoken as ay rather than as net (drop the n and t).

156. doritogrande says:

Icecastles and LT:

Buddy's name is Joel Rechlicz. 21 year old.

157. NBOilerFan says:

My god they all look like they are exhausted by the way they are playing.

158. Black Dog says:

LT – lol, although I'm doubting the preseason comment re: the beer, I thought you were like Lionel Conacher, a man for all sports and seasons ;)

159. grease trap says:

I don't know who they are or what they do but rest assured I will NEVER give custom to frikken Executrade. I will, however, give it most annoying ad concept ever seen in a hockey broadcast.

160. doritogrande says:

If I'm an Islanders fan I'm liking this Hamonic guy. He's been involved all night.

Tavares has been pedestrian.

BDHS: That's what Diane Lane screams! LIONEL CONACHER!!!

162. bookie says:

I too come from a francophone backgound.. and if I may give my 0,02$

This blog attracts a lot of whitty people. I think others don't get it and go on HFboards or somewhere that is lowerIQ friendly.

163. Perry K says:

DeHaan (#3) for the Isles looks really good. Any one hear of him brfore this?

164. Traktor says:

I had no clue Motin was this good.

19 and doesn't look out of place so far. I heard a bunch of talk about a physical defender but his breakout pass is something else.

165. Black Dog says:

Choo Choo Chugga Chugga!

166. doritogrande says:

DeHaan (#3) for the Isles looks really good. Any one hear of him brfore this?

Islanders other first rounder from this past draft. Not quite Ryan Ellis type offense, but he's much bigger.

167. doritogrande says:

He's impressing me with his offensive awareness. He's pinched 4 or 5 times tonight and seemingly every time an Oilers scoring chance has been produced. We all know he was here to be a rugged shut-down type and he's delivered. It's the extra skillsets that are so impressive.

Someone round here came up with the name Konstantinov as a comp. And he had some damn fine seasons in the NHL.

168. knighttown says:

@Icecastles

Don't worry, Katz owns Medicine Shoppe too.

169. Jonathan Willis says:

Yeah, everything about Motin screams that he's going to be just fine in the AHL this season.

He's impressed.

170. Showerhead says:

Jesus. Just checked in to see how much chatter there was and it looks like a second consecutive 200+ preseason GDT.

Any standouts thus far? I'm seeing a lot of Motin praise which is great – any others?

171. Jonathan Willis says:

Grebeshkov's been great. Very polished.

Souray's busted two panes of glass but looks bored otherwise.

Motin, as mentioned, has been very good.

Cogliano and Eberle look like a nice pairing; I came in quite skeptical of Eberle but his game has been very good, including some nice work on the forecheck.

Pouliot's been very effective.

Who'd I miss?

172. Jonathan Willis says:

Oh, and the Nilsson – Gagner – Hemsky troika has stood out, but not for good reasons.

I think the goalies have been fine, Penner has some zip (whole line really) and Souray loves the sound of breaking glass.

174. LCO says:

is it streaming anywhere besides the oilers website? can't get it in vancouver?

175. doritogrande says:

Showerhead:

The Islanders goalie.
    Trukhno made up for an awful first period with a noticable second.
    Reddox in a negative way taking 6PIM so far.

176. Lucinius says:

I'm just hoping Gagner/Hemsky dies after tonight. They just don't mesh that well, especially given Hemsky's tendency to go wherever when he has the puck (though seeing him effectively back-check tonight has been great).

Not sure what others are seeing in Motin.. I haven't seen the same thing; just a few mistakes in his own end, like most other Oilers.

Ah, good on you Jonathan. I was going to mention Pouliot but it seemed like it was only me who liked him tonight. Good.

Trukhno had a poor 1st, improved in the second and I continue to like Reddox and his abandon.

178. Coach pb9617 says:

Negatory on that. I just compared his gait to Konstantinov's. They move the same way.

Who'd I miss?

The Sour Patch Kid.

179. Icecastles says:

Just read an observation on CBC that had eluded me (though I'm sure many of you have already keyed to it): One game into the preseason, POS has already matched his total goal production across 19 games with the Oilers last season. An auspicious start.

180. loudog says:

Bookie, I'll take that as a compliment.

From my point of view, this place is the mecca for Oilers related fan discussion / thoughtful insights / craziness and just funny shit. (And- ya I do miss Covered in Oil, but I digress)

I don't know where I'd go without this blog and all the great commentators. Thanks guys!

And I'll have a beer in your honour.. cheers!

My Al Gore freezes when I open too many windows.

Go to get the live feed from oilers.nhl.com and get told that the game is not available in my area, and that I should consult my local listings.

$%#@$*&

182. doritogrande says:

Rod Phillips:

"Joensuu. Spells his name J-O-E-N-S-U-U. Joensuu.

Or something like that."

Beautiful.

183. doritogrande says:

Pisani may be saddled by AHLers, but he's making a lot of mistakes tonight.

184. danny says:

woodguy, on the right, click the 2nd game listing and it should work

Thanks Danny, working now.

Still no goals from the local heros?

(*$&@&$*()

186. Coach pb9617 says:

No one on that line has ever demonstrated that they can move the puck from their own end of the ice.

187. doritogrande says:

Okay. I had to google Lawson just because of what he's doing to us. 1983 birthday. 2.16GAA with a .927SVP in 31 games last year in the AHL. His first year in the AHL.

188. doritogrande says:

CHEESEBURGER!

Was that offside? Who cares!!!

190. hunter1909 says:

Penner making like Phil Esposito.

FATS!!!!!!!

(although I love "THE SOUR PATCH KID")

192. SK Oiler Fan says:

Penner, Flying? Not possible.

Penner (Cogliano)

194. Perry K says:

I can't believe that no one has mentioned how well Penner has played. That is 2 great shifts in a row completed by the score!

195. Icecastles says:

Woooo Penner!!! We're going to the playoffs for sure.

196. SK Oiler Fan says:

I thought it was off side as well

197. bookie says:

Bookie, I'll take that as a compliment.

That is how it was intended! I love this stuff man!

". 2.16GAA with a .927SVP in 31 games last year in the AHL. His first year in the AHL."

Nice.

Is he 5th on their depth chart?

Would they take Sugartits straight across?

199. Alice says: