Islanders at Oilers, PS G2/09-10

Yesterday the Oilers posted the lines for tonight’s game (below) and what jumped out at me was that Sam Gagner is the future. Just as Doug Weight gave up his linemates to a 20-year old Mike Comrie almost a decade ago, I think there’s a real chance Shawn Horcoff will (at least for extended periods) lose Ales Hemsky to Sam Gagner’s line this season.

If the Oilers can find a line that can dominate against the soft parade (as represented by the Gagner line below) and find two horses to ride the rough terrain with Horcoff there might be something to this group.

I still say someone will be arriving in the next few weeks. Pat Quinn said nice things about O’Sullivan last night and liked a few men although he did say it was early. Here are the reported lines up front, they are likely to change a little as this was yesterday:

• Gagner-Nilsson-Hemsky
  • Cogliano-Penner-Eberle
  • Reddox-Cornet-Pisani
  • Brule-MacIntyre-Pouliot

Islanders may play the wunderkind Tavares tonight, he had the flu the other night and didn’t play against the Canucks. I find it interesting that Pouliot is on the wing and tonight we be a good time for him to show something. Traditionally he shows just enough to survive, he’ll need to be better than that this fall. Reddox in the middle is a little odd and if you haven’t seen Cornet (Corn-ay) before you’re in for a treat.

Post the D and lines (if they’re different) please, have a nice day.

284 Responses to "Islanders at Oilers, PS G2/09-10"

« Older Comments
  1. doritogrande says:

Can we have more of the Oilers goal-scoring propaganda videos?

They're working.

Penner looks in better shape, did at the scrimmages and does tonight.

3. Scott Reynolds says:

Really good to see that line get rewarded. Penner-Cogs-Eberle have been very good tonight, generated a lot of chances. Cogs and Penner have looked very good together. Not sure if Penner skating with Cogs is actually forcing Penner to keep pace or if Penner's skating just looks better when he's put alongside someone that runs more north-south than Hemsky. I'd like to see more of this line through camp to see if they can handle some tougher (i.e. actual NHL) competition.

On the other side, 12-89-83 has been a pretty epic fail. Every guy wants to make the extra move or the fancy pass. 34 has made some uncharacteristic bad choices so far tonight. Here's hoping that doesn't become a pattern. No one else has really stood out to me from the forwards.

4. doritogrande says:

Samwise!

Gagner (Hemsky, Nilsson)

6. oilerdago says:

Gagner! Nice.

7. Showerhead says:

Haha that's cute. Gagner and Hemsky think they're the same person for a little while and then Gagner tucks in a backhander. Despite the fluke, my first impression is that this is not a pairing with staying power.

8. Icecastles says:

Damn Gagner. I wanted to see a shootout. ;)

Only able to listen, but I've not noticed 89 out there very much tonight until the goal….

Nice to see Hemsky-Nilsson-Gagner get some sustained pressure.

Nice soft touch by Gagner.

Penner isn't the "sour patch kid". He eats sour patch kids. I guess he was thinking of cabbage patch dolls while thinking about sour kraut.

11. Nialle Travnik says:

Icccccceeecastlessssss

I turned down tickets for this game

Now I hurt inside

12. SK Oiler Fan says:

Gags saw the wickets open just for an instant. Sneaky goal, but still shouldn't go in.

13. oilerdago says:

Showerhead – you may be right that Hemsky/Gagner is not a pairing that will last long, but it's pre-season. Now's the time to experiment and see what ya got.

14. doritogrande says:

Bullshit. Old people aren't supposed to kiss.

Give it to the Asian who slipped the tongue.

15. Showerhead says:

And yeah, I'll echo the Penner praise. First shift I saw was him flailing helplessly on the PK but the next two I've noticed included that nice spin pass to #13 and then of course his "burst of speed" and solid finish. Dustin Penner: a slick, swift preseason star!

Man Pouliot's played a nice game of defense tonight. I don't know why he's dowm below the goal line so much but he's been there at good times.

17. Showerhead says:

oilerdago: I agree wholeheartedly re: experimentation. If they continue to run into each other I will keep right on laughing but I'm on your side re: trying different combinations.

18. Icecastles says:

Nialle!!! Nice to see you in the fray! So happy to see a familiar face on the board, I'm tempted to post the Kotalyk link for old-times sake… I'm stil lnot over the fact that he's not back.

19. Lucinius says:

Hemsky, Gagner, Smid and Cogliano.. and only Smid doesn't lose control of the puck. A sad, sad world.

20. Showerhead says:

Haha wow. Good to know the constant slew of too many men penalties wasn't all MacT. A general malaise, perhaps.

21. Scott Reynolds says:

Also, on Lawson, the other netminder for the Sound Tigers (Peter Mannino) went 2.94, .900 in 34 games. That's a pretty huge difference.

22. Nialle Travnik says:

Hey Brad! Hope the 'peg is treating you well.

This pre-season internet thing is great… they don't run these during the season, do they?

23. bookie says:

Penner looks in better shape, did at the scrimmages and does tonight.

MacT used to randomly order Pizza's to Penners home because he knew he would eat them and destroy his career.

24. Showerhead says:

"Penner battling…"

The revolution has arrived! Praise Quinn! :P

25. SK Oiler Fan says:

Is Tavares guaranteed a spot in the Bigs or something? He's playing like it.
    Hope to see him better in Saskatoon.

PLUS he spiked the lowcal beer.

27. Icecastles says:

Nialle:
    The live video is only on non-televised games. Internet radio is every game, but you're near Edmonton so you can listen on AM without the delay. The liveblog thing… every game. Every day in fact, but it's typically only the GDTs (game day threads) that the posting is fast and furious enough that they can threaten to derail one's university education. Oh god I have so much homework…..

28. doritogrande says:

Damn. There's the "other" 09 first rounder.

Nice play by deHaan.

Who did he walk around?

30. loudog says:

so… a shootout coming then?

31. grease trap says:

I blame that one on Karma.

"You see what happens when you play Cotton Eyed Joe!?"

32. oilerdago says:

And who lost the faceoff?

33. doritogrande says:

Seconded. I've got three assignments due next week. But it's the first hockey of my year, so I don't care much.

You're in Architecture, yes?

34. Nialle Travnik says:

I check the blog every day now… LT needs a website with a full-fledged forum!

35. Alice says:

Penner has become… hard to play against. What was the problem again??

36. Gnash says:

Yeah… that Executrade thing on the PK is plenty annoying, but I find it even worse to miss the play so that we can watch cute studio videos of the contributors to the goal. Whoever came up with that idea – just stop.

37. doritogrande says:

Souray BOMBS…okay doesn't bomb it.

3-2 Oilers.

38. Nialle Travnik says:

God I love Souray.

39. Mr DeBakey says:

#19 makes my headache go away

I was next to Souray in Safeway the other day.

When he was comparing bacon packages he had the exact facial expression that he did after he scored that goal.

True story.

41. doritogrande says:

Souray (Gagner)

42. oilerdago says:

Soooouraaaay!

Souray (Gagner)

How Gagner got an assist on that is beyond me.

44. Showerhead says:

Gnash: I wouldn't be surprised if they're just pulling the in-house jumbotron feed for this broadcast. Don't expect those mini-clips to last into the season :)

45. Alice says:

That's two points, and he's been pretty brutal

deHaan's a player

47. Coach pb9617 says:

Penner has become… hard to play against. What was the problem again??

He's TSNs problem now.

48. loudog says:

any 3 stars predictions?

Souray
    Lawson
    gagner

49. SK Oiler Fan says:

Love Shelly's reactions on goals.

Meh, done that before.

Nice. Now we wait for Pat Quinn's comments. He mentioned Stone yesterday night and that seemed a little strange (Stone played okay but I thought others played better).

Tonight? Motin gets a mention that would be my guess and as always I'll leave a light on for Poo.

51. doritogrande says:

Eberle as the 1st star? I think not.

52. Icecastles says:

Dorito -Yeah, Architecture. The hell faculty… 9am-8pm, every day. And I'm a Peers counsellor, a writing tutor, the community liason for my architecture year, and play intramural hockey. And I have to get a part-time job. I am so screwed…. even without 90+ games to follow and post sarcastically about. You're in Environmental Science, right? Did you get tix for the game on the 24th yet?

53. Showerhead says:

But at least Architecture at the U of M is stocked with an inexplicably good looking quotient of women. Including redheads. Hope it's enough to get you through :)

54. Nialle Travnik says:

Brad – you forgot to mention your raging coke habit. You're such a busy guy!

55. Icecastles says:

He's TSNs problem now.

Quote of the night, Coach. :)

56. Icecastles says:

Coach: He's TSNs problem now.

Quote of the night, Coach. :)

Nialle: Brad – you forgot to mention your raging coke habit.

You know I'm a typography snob. I'm a Pepsi man ever since the redesign. Though this game calls for a beer, methinks. You need to mail me so AlleyKat. Edmonton breweries have hew peers in Canada.

57. Nialle Travnik says:

Dude, I totally forgot to tell you.

I joined the Edmonton Homebrewer's Guild. The first meeting was at Alley Kat, and I got to hang out with the head brewer, the owner of Alley Kat and – get this – drink cask conditioned Pumpkin Pi Ale.

Waaaargble. Awesome.

58. doritogrande says:

Icecastles:

Zoology actually. Environmental Sciences is Showerhead's thing.

Speaking of, not sure if you got back in the last GDT Showerhead, but was that you in my Policy and Law class Monday?

59. Alice says:

The Cogs Penner duo – is part of it that Penner looks slower when the other guys refuse to skate in straight lines? Cogs gets the hell out of his way, and buddy can just open all four barrels. I think that's part of it. It's a keeper tandem.

60. doritogrande says:

And no, I'm not going to the game in WPG.

I bought NHL10 instead.

61. Icecastles says:

Oh, never went back. But it wasn't me, I'm doing exclusively architecture and studio courses. Though if your class is in Wallace, I *did* climb the building and wander the roof a few days ago and I think there were some classes in session. So you may have seen me after all. lol

62. Showerhead says:

doritogrande: haha actually yes it was. I had a good laugh at your "not that I condone this…" question and another one when the prof went on about oil seepage and all I could think of was "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE. I DRINK IT UP!" :)

63. Showerhead says:

Oh and checking in on that other thread: I do have tickets and also, if about 18 different things bounce right, a press pass. Not likely in any way but it's fun to think about while I've still got a wing and a prayer.

Manny Malhotra is going to the Sharks on a tryout.

1. The Oilers could/should have signed him
    2. Malhotra's agent should reflect on how stupid stupid can be.

65. doritogrande says:

Remember the lessons of CoveredInOil.

66. Showerhead says:

Could be a cheap pickup that strengthens the bottom end of the roster. Go Sharks go as of late. On a related note, has Mike Peca signed anywhere? I like him in that role as well.

67. Jonathan Willis says:

I thought Eberle was great tonight. Could easily have had three points, if things had broken right.

Maybe not first star, but worth a mention.

68. Coach pb9617 says:

Chevy Novas ain't made for handlin!

The thing I'll give Eberle is that he doesn't look out of place. Wins some battles, waits for plays to develop before passing/shooting and he can take a pass wonderfully plus pass very well.

I don't think he'll make the big club but if he plays like this all through TC he'd make a case for himself.

70. Showerhead says:

JW: I saw some impressive things too in my limited viewing. All of them were very close to the net which is sure to be Eberle's office of course but it would be encouraging if some of the plays you saw happened in a few different places on the ice. Did they?

71. Jonathan Willis says:

I took note of Eberle six times tonight; every time was for something good.

He wasn't perfect, but he did have a very strong game, IMO.

72. Jonathan Willis says:

Showerhead:

Pretty much all in the offensive zone. Not all around the net; Eberle had a nice forecheck where he caused turnovers on at least two occasions, but all of it was in the offensive zone.

73. grease trap says:

So does Eberle play in Springfield this year?

74. Showerhead says:

Remember the lessons of CoveredInOil

OK but from whence shall I find that much cheap hookers and alcohol? And how in the world am I supposed to grow a playoff beard that fast?

Ooooh… THAT lesson.

75. James L. says:

I think the goalies have been fine, Penner has some zip (whole line really) and Souray loves the sound of breaking glass.

Are you a Nick Lowe fan, LT?

76. Jonathan Willis says:

grease trap:

Pretty sure he has to go back to junior.

77. Showerhead says:

JW: Hey, a whole zone is better than just the area in the low slot. If not elated, I am at least satisfied. And fans of "The Office" now have a "that's what she said" on a platter.

78. grease trap says:

Ah. Thanks, JW

Yep, love Nick Lowe's music. Rockpile, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds all that stuff. There's not a lot of English music I dislike to be honest, from Joy Division and Gang of Four to Genesis (Peter Gabriel Genesis) to David Bowie and Van Morrison and all down the line.

Kind of crazy that so much terrific music comes from such a small place.

80. Traktor says:

Not sure its been mentioned yet but Smid played 28:16 tonight. Finished +2

81. James L. says:

You have some good taste for an oldtimer! You might want to check out the Brit Box that Rhino put out a few years ago — lots of great nuggets from the late 80s/90s Britpop era.

82. Bank Shot says:

The Oilers came out just flat and useless through the first ten minutes. They settled down and carried the play through the rest of the game I felt. Oilers hit three posts in the first or it may have turned into a blowout. Lawson's stick save, is probably a goal by Hemsky 9 out of 1o times.

Motin looked pretty good tonight again. Really likes the pinch, maybe to excess.

The Penner-Cogliano-Eberle line was buzzing. Penner was really skating well, and played like he had a burr under his saddle. I would have given him first star.

Gagner, Hemsky, and Nilsson looked like rubbydubs most of the night. The Oilers really need Gagner to take a big step this year, but I don't think he really looked any beter than what he brought last year.

The French Connection was alright. Kind of suspect in their own zone at times, but they carried their fair share of the play. Pouliot seemed to win alot of the own zone draws. I thought the Islanders goal on their line was golaie interference.

It looked like Tavares tipped the first Islander goal in the arena. Pretty much invisible outside of that, and lollygagged back to the d-zone often.

Reddox was really flying tonight. I think he was the best of the Oilers bubble/depth guys tonight over Nilsson, Pouliot, and MacIntyre.

83. Schitzo says:

Was at the game. Eberle did a good job of not looking out of place, although I think you could replace him with O'Sullivan and the line would be equally effective.

Pisani looked awful, and this is coming from a guy wearing a #34 jersey to the game. I hope he was just overcompensating for dragging around Reddox and SMac all night.

Dougie Weight has gotten filthier in the last couple of years.

No clue whether Hemsky was just disinterested or if pairing him with Gagner is a bad idea. Gagner is smart enough to play with Hemsky eventually, but I think Quinn will have to be patient if that's his plan.

I thought Jake Taylor had a quietly excellent night, although obviously the competition was pretty much AHL level.

84. Bruce says:

Went to a lecture so missed the game. Rreading the always-entertaining GDT here it certainly seems like I made the right decision.

While you can see little signs here and there, very little can be taken from early exhibitions cuz the quality of competition varies from scrubs, subs and rubbydubs to vets who would rather be buying bacon.

Oh well, at least after tonight we know the Oilers can keep up with the Joensuus.

« Older Comments