Jacques Pot!!

“This is my fifth year of pro. I want to put my two feet on the doorstep instead of having just one for the last three years . . . I want to say this is what I’m here for, to have a long NHL career. The main thing I had in my mind all summer was to play in the NHL. I trained really hard, I had a lot of work to do. I didn’t have the strength from before I hurt my back.”

-JF Jacques

33 Responses to "Jacques Pot!!"

1. Smarmy Boss says:

This is one of the main guys to perform the "grit and sandpaper" that Tambo was talking about.

2. DBO says:

let's hope his back is back to normal and he is his freight train self. If he hits everything that moves, has the occasional fight and is responsible in his own end he could be a 3rd liner for us.

3. Jonathan Willis says:

Possibly of interest, albeit in a limited sample size:

Reddox: -21.7 corsi/60
    MacIntyre: -26.4 corsi/60
    Jacques: -27.4 corsi/60

4. DBO says:

JW: doesn't look pretty, but he had some success at the AHL level, and his size and speed is important. His ceiling is Ethan Moreau, and that's what we lack. if he can hit and fight and bring some energy to the 4th line, and doesn't get killed in his own end he will be a success.

5. LMHF#1 says:

He'll put too much pressure on himself and still treat the NHL puck differently than the AHL puck.

Please let us have too many forwards for him to make the team…

6. danny says:

Another thing to consider is he falls directly from the tree of Pat Quinn kinda hockey players.

Hes in the mold of the Gary Roberts genre player… and should he bring an abrasive and capable game to camp, i expect him to be an NHL regular this season.

For better or worse.

Anyone else weary of the copius amounts of icetime Moreau will have bestowed upon him? MacTavish may pale in comparison.

7. HBomb says:

Tremendously weary. The guy is a 4th liner on a good NHL team this year. He's also not making 2 million a season (cap hit), because the GM of said team wouldn't have given the guy the extension Lowe did in fall 2006.

Anytime I hear the Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani suggestion, I want to puke. Ethan is not in the same league as those other two when it comes to tough minutes capability. Counting on him for that role would be a gigantic mistake.

8. kris says:

Hey JW,

I looked at some of Jacques numbers from his stints in the NHL prior to last year, and his Corsi was still bad, but he was doing okay in goal differential/60 at ES, and he wasn't playing the easiest minutes.

In fact, if Jacques had put any offense at all on the board during his first trip to the NHL, even a few fluke points, we'd be more excited about his chances this year.

He's had bad luck. (Still, that Corsi is scary.)

9. hunter1909 says:

Moreau last season played like a 4th liner.

10. quain says:

I can't find a set of statistics in the past three years that makes me think Pisani is better than Moreau at the job. You know, aside from Moreau's ability to grope and grab like a drunken sailor.

11. Bill Needle says:

danny said: "Hes in the mold of the Gary Roberts genre player"
    Minus the goals, assists and toughness.
    Roberts at age 23: 39G 33A 222PM
    Jacques at age 23: 1G 0A 9PM
    Maybe you meant this Roberts?

12. pboy says:

But the guy's a 1st liner at throwing his teammates under the bus! You guys have to look at the glass as half full of shit….

13. uni says:

If Moreau keeps his offensive numbers from last year, plays about the same defensively, but cuts down the PIMs I'd be happy.

If Pisani can return to health and regain his form from 2-4 seasons ago we're looking pretty good on the 3rd line provided they have a capable centre.

Moreau and Pisani both making about 1 million or more less a season when their contracts come off the books is something to look forward to as well, provided they can both still play at a good 3rd line level.

I still hope JFJ can turn into a Ponikarovsky type player. He's certainly got the tools, and maybe a bit more speed and crazy.

14. quain says:

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Moreau go. His leadership is questionable, the penalties are ridiculous, and he's unbelievably overpaid. Pisani is overpaid to an insane degree, but he's also likeable, so it's less annoying.

15. Ol' Jase says:

Moreau did pot 13 ES goals last year. Not exactly indicative of a fourth liner.

16. Traktor says:

Moreau ES goals last year: 13
    Horcoff ES goals last year: 9

17. bookie says:

Moreau had his worst year in a long time last year (other than breaking his everything in the previous 2 years). It is quite possible that he will come back better than ever. A lot of players take a year to get back to form after an injury.

A few more goals and a 30% reduction in penalties (dumb penalties particularly) would go a long way to making us love Moreau again.

18. spOILer says:

and

Moreau did pot 13 ES goals last year. Not exactly indicative of a fourth liner.

Don't worry about HBomb, he likes to make categorical statements about Moreau and pass them off as fact. This blind spot comes with the territory with HBomb, y'know, like Traktor and Horc… (*carefully removes foot from hornet's nest*).

As far as being overpaid goes, I have a tough time not giving the guys who handle the second hardest minutes and score that many ES goals, the second most money. The team was facing some radical personnel changes at the time of the contrats, and likely management didn't want rentals in their spots. If their health had been different over the past 3 years, perhaps the braintrust would've been right for a change.

And if they had held Gagner off for two years and not handed Khabeeb a winning lottery ticket, they wouldn't be that badly off with those two contracts. Staios' contract seems tougher to justify because we're getting a 5/6 man whose contract runs to an older age (although he is a rightie and can step up to the net pairing for limited periods).

Thoughts on the JFJ? I'm really rooting for this guy. Rare to see a big man skate so well, and he hits like a freight train. He's more of a play-maker than a goal-scorer IIRC, which is a bit of a twist for a big man, but depending on who fills out the 4th, that might work out quite well.

Here's hoping he finds the hands and the confidence and simply blooms… Y'know so we can have someone on Team Waterbug™ big enough to tell Dustin' Donuts to put down that tray of honey-glazed.

19. Doogie2K says:

Tremendously weary.

I'm not tired of it yet, because it's not even preseason, but I am pretty wary, myself. ;) Hopefully, he cuts down on the dipshit penalties and rediscovers how to penalty kill, along with everyone else. Those 13 EV goals were something, though, and in case you're wondering, it wasn't really percentage-driven (10.1% at 5-on-5, a bit high but not absurdly so).

20. Sign Johnny Bower says:

Those 13 EV goals were something

Three in one game

21. Master Lok says:

Three in one game

Oh, should we discount everyone's ES hattrick goals then?

22. kris says:

Whenever people talk about Moreau's success, I remember a post coachpb did a while back debunking that idea.

Wish I could find it.

Coach, you out there?

23. Master Lok says:

and I can't believe that ONCE AGAIN, we're depending on JFJ, to not just make the squad but make a valuable contribution to the team.

Considering his history, Jacques would have had an outstanding season if he could equal Moreau's point production last year.

24. Coach pb9617 says:

Coach, you out there?

Always.

Dropping Anchor.

25. Hockey Noob says:

Possibly of interest, albeit in a limited sample size:

Jonathan Willis has been hired by The Score!!!

Looks like he has 15 posts up already!

Sorry to thread jack–it's a bad habit, but congratulations to Jonathan!

26. digger says:

At least MPS is rocking the preseason, another 2 goals and an assist for him today, with a tidy +4 +/- to boot (nod to s7ark and sk13 over at HFboards for the info).

Here's hoping the kid can keep it up once the real games start over there.

27. Bank Shot says:

The kid just needs to forget about the defensive side of the game and go out there and play some "JF Jacques Hockey"!

28. Fake Craig McTavish says:

Bank Shot said…

Is there a chance we could see an I'm Fairly Indifferent to Lithuania" blog sometime soon?

29. Lord Bob says:

I have no comment on Jacques's fairly typical comments, but I did want to say that when I went to Lowetide, I had another window covering the name "Jacques" and I read "Pot!!" as "Poti!"

So, basically, I threw up on my keyboard. But carry on!

30. DangerMan says:

A real lack of props for Ethan here. Its not like this team has an abundance of players that could replace Moreau, a power forward that can PK. Here's to hoping for a solid year for Ethan and hopefully an injury free one as well.

As for Jacques, I believe the 4th line LW is his to lose. As long he comes out throws some hits and drops the gloves a couple times, its his.

I believe Ethan rifles acquired all those ugly numbers playing the toughest minutes among LW's overall last season. Desjardins suggests so, I know that doesn't rock everyone's boat but it is the gospel I go by in these matters.

Plus he wasn't playing with Horcoff and Hemsky too terribly much. I'm not saying he was Bobby Hull out there, but do believe he can help some.

32. PunjabiOil says:

I used to use this acronym back in junior high that could describe this post.

ROTFLMAO

33. raventalon40 says:

Moreau ES goals last year: 13
    Horcoff ES goals last year: 9

What does Moreau bring to the PP?

Furthermore, what does Moreau bring to the PK?

Horcoff played both those roles and understandably I think his ES production suffered as a result.