New Faces for 2009-10

This is going to be a fun week for NHL fans. We’ll be shocked and amazed at the names that retire or pass from the game, the names that hit the waiver wire and the trades that take place (we’ve already seen Heatley and Kessel dealt), the names that seem to vanish into thin air.

That will be followed by the annual march of rookies, some so famous we have to think for a moment to make sure this is indeed their first season. Others so obscure that a trip to hockeydb doesn’t do the trick and we’re left to wonder if we’re looking at hockey’s “The Natural.”

When it comes to the Edmonton Oilers and rookies, there has been a lot of talk about Jordan Eberle this training camp. He’s very skilled and has been creating chances every night (even as the quality of competition improves). Taylor Chorney has also played well, and if the Oilers moved a blueliner in the next week or so he might stay with the big club. Theo Peckham’s injury means his rookie timeline has been put back and this might not be his season to emerge as an NHL player. Devan Dubnyk has battled hard but appears headed to Springfield until injury hits. Rob Schremp arrived at the Last Chance Texaco just as the money ran out and the engine blew.

Which means the last man standing for the Edmonton Oilers 2009-10 appears to be Ryan Stone. Certainly he’s getting a push, but he’s also delivering (3gp, 0-3-3 +4) with the opportunity. He’s signed to a 2-way, one-year deal that pays $600,000 and looks primed to grab the roster spot that belonged to Steve MacIntyre a year ago. Stone has some serious foot speed issues, but he’s a “tough cookie” as one scout said not so long ago. If he can maintain this pace as the opposition gets tougher, Ryan Stone should make the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers this fall.

There’s plenty of pre-season to go, but most of the rookies have fallen away. Pat Quinn stated he wanted grit but he also wanted guys who could play, which also happens to be an excellent description of Ryan Stone.

64 Responses to "New Faces for 2009-10"

1. oilerdago says:

Interesting thoughts on Stone. All the focus on Eberle (who's done some good things) and yet Stone has put up some numbers and has held his own so far.

Had not thought about it in light of him taking Smac's spot on the roster. That's why you're good LT. While he's not a nuclear deterrant, he's not afraid to mix things up. And it would be for just a few more bucks ($600k vs $537k).

It makes sense.

2. Art Vandelay says:

The Racers dressed Gretz for a game at Tipton Shell? Not Arena, mind you. Shell.

3. Dennis says:

Can Stone win faceoffs and can he kill penalties?

4. rickibear says:

3A on 6G scored by a career 7.5% shooter shooting 36.6% right now.

Hmmm O'sullivan will revert back to his 7.5% when he is not facing soft goal minders and Stone will have how many assists.

As Dennis Said Win Faceoffs and PK thank you.

Stone is a winger and is auditioning for RW. So he must work his way up this depth chart:

25.R Ales Hemsky
    26.R Patrick O'Sullivan
    27.R Fernando Pisani
    28.R Zack Stortini
    29.R Ryan Stone
    30.R Robert Nilsson
    31.R Jordan Eberle*
    32.R Steve MacIntyre*

I have Stone, Nilsson, Eberle and MacIntyre fighting for 2 spots and have chosen Stone and Nilsson. It makes sense imo.

As for the C who can win faceoffs, that appears to be the Pouliot slot at this time which Jason Gregor believes will go to Brule.

Fun week.

6. George B says:

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
    O'Sullivan Comrie Pisani
    Nilsson Gagner Cogliano
    Moreau Pouliot(Brule) Stortini
    JFJ (Stone)

My questions LT are that you think that Steve MacIntyre is gone?

As well, two of Brule, Schremp and Pouliot will be on waivers by the end of camp?

I myself would be surprised.

7. George B says:

I can't see Eberle making the team with the bodies they have on contract.

8. oilerdago says:

Rickibear,

I agree, we still need someone to win faceoff's and PK, but don't you think that's going to have to come via a trade?

Who among the bubble boys (Smac, Nilsson, Brule, JFJ, Pouliot, Stone and maybe Eberle) who can fill that role? Maybe Pou, maybe Brule but we're all waiting to see it.

I'm speaking to the point LT raised (which I'd not considered before). Do we need a nuclear deterrant to take up a roster space for 3 or 4 teams versus someone who can give the roster the other thing it lacks – gritty play.

9. oilerdago says:

Oh no, I forgot Schremp among the bubble boys (serious sarcasm there).

10. matt says:

Rooting for Schremp. Despite the useful guys ahead of him and logjam of contracts, I think the dude will put points on the board if played for a reasonable stretch – a vente latte-sized cup of coffee, so to speak.

And Peckham kicked Claude Lemieux's ass. I think his future was sewn up as a player (for someone, at least, but likely us) with that shift.

11. kris says:

Per Dennis' question about PK'ers, here's my guess:

The Oilers PK:

Horcoff-Pisani
    O'Sullivan-Moreau
    (Cogliano-Pouliot ????)

Gilbert-Souray
    Smid-Staios

Coach: Bucky (there was a quote confirming this somewhere)

Worst PK in the league.

Book it.

12. doritogrande says:

Ryan Stone was also Steve Tambellini's first acquisition as GM. You have to think that figures into the situation with new GM wanting to put "his" stamp on his team.

13. kris says:

Oh, and if Staios and Pisani have both lost a step, or another step in Staios' case, this is going to be a loooong season on the PK if we don't find a way to replace them.

Grebs and Vis., couldn't kill off a mosquito last year, and none of our forwards are proven PK'ers past Horcoff and few are promising.

//I can't see Eberle making the team with the bodies they have on contract.//

Somebody might get a convenient hangnail required some time on the injured list to give Eberle a nine-game look.

If the Oilers keep Jacques and Stone along with Stortini, they probably won't keep MacIntyre.

16. Smytty777 says:

I still think one of MacIntyre or Kip Brennan has a shot. If you are talking about a 14th forward slot, they still might be in the picture.

17. Ribs says:

And since then, Lemieux has quit playing hockey altogether and has taken up figure skating instead. Peckham is the man.

Hearing a replay of Gregor and Rishaug this morning on the way to work.

Rishaug suggesting that Brule actually be given the 3rd line center role so he can learn what it takes to play the game from thecaptainethanmoreau. Gregor agreed and poo-poo'd Poo again.

Wow, theres some hockey acumen there.

19. Steve says:

Can somebody refresh my memory on the consequences of the nine game trial? If memory serves (which it may well not), it either pushes UFA eligibility a year closer or burns a year off the entry level contract, but not both. I dimly remember there being some negative consequence to it that would make me not want to risk it with Eberle (though it'd sure be nice to be able to stick him in the AHL).

There are no consequencs to a nine-game trial.

As soon as you play 10 games, you use up one year of the 3 year entry deal.

As soon as you play 40, it counts as a year accrued towards reaching unrestricted free agency.

21. bookie says:

Whatever they do, they should NOT cross this line. He will be more valuable in the future than he is today. Using up his time now would be a bad case of discounting the future.

22. Steve says:

As soon as you play 10 games, you use up one year of the 3 year entry deal.

That would be the significance of the nine, then, I gather?

Okay then; I'm on board with giving him nine games, and no more. I am further on board with having Billy Moores kneecap as many waiver eligible rubbydubs as necessary to keep us under the roster limit without losing anybody.

(Moores is still on the payroll and not doing much else, right?)

23. Coach pb9617 says:

Does Gregor know Brule's family?

Brule hasn't shown himself to be anywhere near an NHL player in 3 years.

24. kris says:

I say Brule for 1st line center.

And for goalie too.

He's proven equally well that he can play either position

25. Dennis says:

I think the boys must like Brule more because he's better looking;)

26. bookie says:

Not many people know this, but Billy Moores was a big kneecapper prior to his U of A days. The man used to carry a lead pipe with him at all times. Word is, that since he lost his assistant coach position, he has taken to carrying it again. Don't piss off Billy Moores is what I am saying!

27. Gord says:

re: Theo Peckham's injury means his rookie timeline has been put back

What exactly is Peckham's injury and how serious is it?

All I know is it is a lower body (ankle) injury – other than that, there seems to be a Cone of Silence over Theo Peckham…

28. HBomb says:

Christ almighty, I like Brule, but the kid has shown jack squat so far this preseason.

Pouliot hasn't blown the doors off, but he's been flat out better than Brule, that's for sure.

Gregor's quickly becoming downright annoying in my books. To go from the quality of Total Sports to the crap that now comes out of the 3pm timeslot….the drop in quality is noticeable.

Thank God that a) Stauffer's back on the air on 1260 and b) recent changes in my life allow me to actually listen, at least for the next few weeks.

(Sidebar: anyone got any good tips for dealing with being unemployed? The large scale merger of two Canadian oil and gas giants, whom I probably need not name, jumped up and bit a good soldier in the ass last week – thanks to a decent severance package, I don't have to rush to find a job right away, but can take a couple months to do so pragmatically. I'm also hoping to take 3 weeks and go to Europe, something I've never done).

(Sidebar 2, totally unrelated to the above: reijo29, if you're reading this, who is carrying Brugal rum?)

29. hunter1909 says:

Who's that runty looking kid on the cover of today's blog, Lowetide?

Like, don't the Oilers already have enough of these type of players?

Geez.

30. Yeti says:

For what it's worth, I think the final competition for places is being fought between two groups.

On the one hand, JFJ and MacIntyre (I guess Brennan too) are competiting for the job of accompanying Stortini as toughness. It's a question of whether JFJ's all-round game can overcome Mac's superior pugilistic prowess.

On the other hand, Pouliot, Brule, Stone and Reddox are battling for two remaining spots (I guess Schremp too, but I don't see it).

This assumes that Nilson hasn't been drawn into that scrap owing to his contract and is worth at least a place in the PB. If not, he's in that group now fighting over three slots.

31. speeds says:

Godot10:

Further to burning a year of the ELC, my understanding is it also irrevocably starts the 3 year contract to play 10 or more games as an 18 or 19 year old. See the fun with Brule.

Another good example of this is a guy like Sbisa, who played more than 10 games last year for PHI. This year, the 2nd year of his ELC, is used up whether he's in the NHL with ANA or in junior (Sbisa is 19 and not eligible for the AHL).

32. Master Lok says:

I know that Springfield last season isn't a good judge of anything, but who played the PK in Springfield last year?

33. Schitzo says:

Sorry to hear that, HBomb. Definitely do Europe while you have the chance, I've always regretted not doing it sooner.

34. hunter1909 says:

Europe in 3 weeks?

You're better off staying home and watching re runs of Van Der Valk.

35. bookie says:

I'm also hoping to take 3 weeks and go to Europe, something I've never done

Do it, but don't go too crazy with trying to cover everything. I spent 3 weeks in Italy 2 years ago and loved it. It was great to stay in a city for 4-5 days as opposed to just traveling all of the time.

With 3 weeks, I would do no more than 3-4 stops so that you get to know the places that you are in (a little) as opposed to just cruising through and seeing highlights.

36. kris says:

Go to Prague H-Bomb, to Prague. You won't regret it.

37. HBomb says:

RE: Europe. If it happens, I'll be doing one of those Contiki tours, where you travel in a group and go to a whole bunch of places.

Apparently they're fun, good value, there's no one over age 30, and it's 80% girls traveling on them. Sounds like my wheelhouse if there ever was one.

38. oil dude says:

Ever since july 1st when multiple sources confirmed that the oilers had an offer in for Chris Neil I thought that Stone might find his way onto the roster. He does PK (in the preseason at least) and I'm pretty sure that he has played centre in the AHL although I have no idea if he is any good on draws. Posted the highest V02 max result in the entire organization and has a history of taking runs at Dion Phaneuf in junior. I cant' see them keeping Eberle but if he keeps creating chances and starts getting some points against NHLish lineups then all hell will break loose here.

39. oil dude says:

Go to Prague H-Bomb, to Prague. You won't regret it.

Seconded.

40. NBOilerFan says:

We shouldn't be talking Pouliot or Brule, we should be talking Pouliot AND Brule and waiving them both.

Currently down the middle we are:

Horcoff
    Gagner
    Cogliano
    Pouliot/Brule

-or-

Horcoff
    Gagner
    Comrie
    Pouliot/Brule

And that looks horrific. If we start the season with either of those lineups, we are in deep shit.

Please, for the love of hockey, make a trade or move bodies out to make room for some strength down the middle. Enough's enough, Tambellini.

41. oilerdago says:

HBomb: Sorry about the job thing, but if you have a chance, go see Copenhage. Just an incredible city to be in and the people are very friendly.

42. Black Dog says:

Dublin, HBomb.

Edinburgh.

London.

Hell there's a million places to go.

Agreed with bookie though, don't go bananas. Fly somewhere, check it out for a few days, then take Ryannair somewhere else and repeat.

43. raventalon40 says:

LT, I think Stone plays all forward positions, just like Mike Comrie, Patrick O'Sullivan and Andrew Cogliano. Which makes things interesting for predicting rosters. He's played well with 91-19 but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stone take over the 4th line role vacated by Brodziak.

In the instance that Stone plays C and not W, we could see something like this:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    O'Sullivan-Gagner-Comrie
    Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani
    Reddox-Stone-Stortini
    Brule/Pouliot

(assuming Nilsson doesn't make the cut)

P.S. I've heard rumours of the Oilers utilizing some of their 2-way deals to take a 9 game look at Eberle… such as in a hypothetical situation where Sam Gagner takes a 9 game vacation to Springfield. Any truth to this, you think?

By the way, guys with an EL contract:
    Sam Gagner
    Andrew Cogliano

O'Sullivan-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-Comrie-Eberle
    Moreau-Brule-Pisani
    Cogliano-Stone-Stortini
    Reddox

44. spOILer says:

HBomb, re: Rum, or redrum if you prefer…

Have you tried the Chateau Louis liquor store?

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact Comrie will be our 3rd line centre despite the bad taste in my mouth, so I could care less who our 4th line centre is, as long as they're cheap and are not haemophiliacs. Some FO and PK ability would be nice, some sandpaper, as well as some future potential, and the ability to cover injuries higher up in the roster.

45. pboy says:

raventalon40:

There isn't a chance that either Gags or Cogs play a second in Springfield this year unless it's a legitimate conditioning stint.

HBomb: Sorry to hear about your job. The merger between PC and Suncor is already having some far reaching effects in Alberta (I work in Ft. Mac) and it will be interesting to see how bad things actually get.

46. Coach pb9617 says:

HBomb – the Croatian coast sir. That is all.

47. HBomb says:

pboy: I worked in a place that was supposedly relatively safe from the merger effects. A dozen engingeers were laid off last Wednesday.
    It's not the fact that it happened, but how it was handled. From my perspective, things were dragged out far too long with little or no consideration for the stress it was causing on the employees.
    Oh well, onto bigger and better things. I think I have leads on over a half-dozen other possibilities already. I will land on my feet.
    Until then, golf, travel, NFL, baseball playoffs, exercise, movies, and of course hockey.

48. Gnash says:

HBomb said…

Hmm. This sounds a little too good to be true. Like getting all gussied up to check out a 'Ladies Night' and then just finding a bunch of other gussied up dudes. Let's hope I'm wrong ;)

12:30 PM, September 22, 2009

49. devin says:

Hey dude, just to chime in, Contiki all the way. You're going to crush it over there, and you couldn't be more on the money with the wheelhouse prediction :)

Once you've done that, go back to Europe and spend a little more time, but for a first time in a short window you're on the right track

50. devin says:

Hmm. This sounds a little too good to be true.

Nope, I can attest… If Hbomb is a reasonably cool dude (ie. knows anything about chicks) he's going to annihilate it.

51. Showerhead says:

Hmm. This sounds a little too good to be true.

Have no fear HBomb, two out of two girls I know who have been on Contiki tours are both very hot and free spirited. You have excellent odds!

And I have it on good authority that one is fantastic in bed.

52. Showerhead says:

Haha, so what Devin said.

53. Mr DeBakey says:

Dublin, Prague or the Chateau Louis Liquor Store?

Decisions, Decisions

54. bookie says:

LT-Given that you love the 'prospects' part of the game, is this your favorite time of the season? (or close?)

Anyone else?

55. Oiler Mag says:

HBomb – if you've only got 3 weeks, do central Europe. Prague, Berlin, Munich, Amsterdam, Vienna – party cities that aren't too far apart. And make sure you get here:

although you might have to sleep on the street! Best way to cram in as much as you can is to interrail – student-style:

56. Tim Thurmeier says:

I must put in my two rubles worth and recommend Moscow. Best deal for accomodations is the Prakash Guest House, rooms one third the cost of the Hotel Rossya and twice as big a room. Two subway stops south of Red Square as well! Every woman in Moscow, no matter how poor, never leaves home without looking like a magazine cover. You will get whiplash from swivelling your head, I guarantee!

57. Bob Arctor says:

"Winger Fernando Pisani left practice early at Millennium Place with a possible groin injury"

Maybe shouldn't expect Pisani to be our savour on the PK this year …

58. kris says:

I'm on the record as doubtful about whether the new coaches will yield more wins, but Quinn's willingness to go after 'the veteran forwards' for not supporting the puck and for not 'getting the puck back' is a big breath of fresh air.

Quinn also seems focused on defense, which was this teams problem last year more than offense, and, though this is less explicit, the possession battle.

Good news, I think, on the coaching front.

bookie: I'd say my favorite times of year are the following:

1. Any Oiler playoff game
    2. Draft day
    3. Trade deadline day
    4. Training camp

And in there somewhere are all the reg. season games which are either top drawer, middle weight or dullsville.

Even though I rate this time of season 4th on the list, it's a fun 2 weeks and a really good chance for fans to observe the evaluation process slowly.

This season resembles 2000 fall because (as it was then) a new coach is watching.

"Not sure if it means anything, but Quinn is getting more aggresive in his criticisms of 'the veterans.' It's quite explicit in the interview up on oilers.nhl.com. today."

Quinn calling out the team saying essentially they lack grit and jam.

Hmmmm, where have I heard that before?

Called out the London Knights specifically too.

61. Fake Craig McTavish says:

@ H Bomb.

Don't forget Belgium.

They have lovely mussels.

62. NBOilerFan says:

Some great lineups for tomorrows game… should also see some increase in playmaking ability.

Jacques-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-Brule-Nilsson
    O'Sullivan-Comrie-Stone
    Moreau-Cogliano-Brennan

63. Yeti says:

What the hell happened to Belgium?

Jacques-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-Brule-Nilsson
    O'Sullivan-Comrie-Stone
    Moreau-Cogliano-Brennan

64. Eric says:

Beauty pic, LT. Was lucky enough to be at his first game as a Racer. Although I was a young lad, definitely remember the hype.