Oilers Assign a Baker’s Dozen

Cody Wild got his marching orders a week earlier this year and is one of a few indicators that there is a new sheriff in town and the marking is being done by a different evaluator.

The biggest surprises are that goalies Aaron Sorochan and Kurtis Mucha have outlasted both Bryan Pitton and Andrew Perugini; that Johan Motin, Alex Plante and Bryan Young outlasted Wild; there were no surprises among the forwards.

Below is a list of the “lucky” 13 who were sent away, followed by the date they were sent down one year ago (if they were a part of the organization). I also discuss each one in terms of where they ranked on my original depth chart which was posted here September 12th.

1. G Andrew Perugini (Sept 25): I ranked him 4th on the TC list, thinking he’d be around for much of the pre-season evaluation until the Falcons got started with their camp. The Falcons begin their camp on Saturday, so perhaps it is more a matter of sending him down to get work he won’t see in Edmonton while the organization evaluates both Sorochan and Mucha. I would guess he’ll be in competition with Sorochan and Pitton for backup play in Springfield this fall.
  2. D Cody Wild (Sept 25): He has two more years on his entry level deal and it doesn’t look like the organization thinks much of him. As a matter of fact, Wild played a pre-season game one year ago (0-0-0 -1) and didn’t get close this season. I ranked him 12th, well ahead of some others who are still in camp and this would have to be considered a surprise. Among the D who have played ahead of him in pre-season are Motin, Plante, Bryan Young and Jake Taylor and Dean Arsene. He might have a hard time playing in the top 6D in Springfield based on how things shook out in training camp.
  3. D Matt Nickerson (not on roster): He has pro experience so there was maybe a possibility he’d last awhile but his (lack of) footspeed is not going to get him into a game at this point.
  4. D Jesse Dudas (not on roster): I ranked him 17/19 D at this TC and he did very well considering the invite was viewed as a favor. He is not under contract so it’ll be interesting to see if he signs a minor league deal with the Falcons.
  5. D Jordan Benfeld (Sept 21): I had him ranked 18 out of 19 D, so his being sent down at this time was predictable. He’s healthy this year so it’ll be interesting to see where he lands.
  6. D Dalton Prout (Sept 19): Ranked in 19/19 and he was among the first players sent away. Oilers like him and may have another chance at him when he graduates junior next spring.
  7. L Bryan Lerg (Sept 25): I ranked him 26th (of 36) among forwards and he is the higest ranking forward to get the early boot. Among those who are still in camp but ranked lower (by me) are Ryan O’Marra, Miroslav Lazo and Milan Kytnar. He’s on the last year of his free agent contract and hasn’t shown enough to get another one at this point in time.
  8. R Colton Fretter (not on roster): I had him 28/36 among forwards but he didn’t get much time. He has scored over 20 in the AHL but didn’t make a huge impact in TC.
  9. R Jamie Bates (Sept 21): I ranked him 31/36. Has no contract (that I can find) but the management said nice things about him and he did get some nice exposure in training camp.
  10. L Philippe Cornet (Sept 21): I had him 32/36 but would bet money he hangs around much later one year from now.
  11. L Riley Emmerson (not on roster): I had him 34/36 and he leaves quickly. Huge player, massive. I can see him sticking in Springfield. Hell, at 6.o8 we might be able to see him FROM Springfield.
  12. L Ryan MacMurchy (not on the roster): I had him 35/36 but he impressed with a couple of nice plays in scrimmage on the weekend. An ECHL player who might make the leap to AHL this season.
  13. L Kelly Czuy (not on roster): I ranked him 36/36 among forwards and he’s among the first forwards cut so we’re on track.

If we’re to believe my depth chart (and I understand that’s a leap) the following players have impressed enough to escape the first set of cuts:

• G Aaron Sorochan (I had him 6/8, behind Pitton and Perugini)
  • G Kurtis Mocha (I had him 8/8 behind Roy, Pitton and Perugini)
  • D Johan Motin (I had him 14/19 behind Wild and Nickerson)
  • D Alex Plante (I had him 15/19 behind Wild and Nickerson)
  • D Bryan Young (I had him 16/19 behind Wild and Nickerson)
  • C Ryan O’Marra (I had him 27/36 behind Lerg)
  • L Charles Linglet (I had him 29/36 behind Lerg and Fretter)
  • R Miro Lazo (I had him 30/36 behind Lerg and Fretter)
  • C Milan Kytnar (I had him 33/36 behind Lerg, Fretter, Bates and Cornet)

The chances of the men listed here surviving another round of cuts (likely Monday) isn’t good, but they’re still hanging in and for a player like Sorochan that might mean a pro contract, for Milan Kytnar it might mean putting a hold on that ticket back to junior and for Johan Motin it may mean a trip up the Springfield depth chart even at this early stage.

66 Responses to "Oilers Assign a Baker’s Dozen"

1. Lord Bob says:

The trouble with training camp cuts this early is that it's not a huge reflection, necessarily, on how much the team likes a player.

Cornet leaving and O'Marra staying, for example: no way is O'Marra head of Cornet on any chart beyond the night shift schedule at Costco, but this is O'Marra's last chance to show his old pedigree and the organization is taking a hell of a look to make sure he is what they think he is. Cornet, meanwhile, isn't going to make this team anyway so better to have him ready for the Oceanic camp so he can impress in junior.

Lord Bob: Yeah, I think you have to evalute these things based on where they are as prospects/contracts, etc. Still, the Wild demotion this early and their keeping Sorochan are interesting. Plus Motin who they probably will keep playing until he shows some cracks.

3. hunter1909 says:

Rubbydubs, LMAO.

Someone needs to go, and no point in keeping any of these guys around, not when Rob Schremp is in serious need of attention from the head coach. :P

I can see why they like watching Plante. Dude looks like some kind of Frankenstein creation out there, and I mean this in a good way.

Come to think of it he's strikes me in some of the same ways as Pouliot, except Plante I possesses more youth and therefore more imaginary upside.

4. Lord Bob says:

The org hasn't liked Cody Wild one bit since they drafted him. Which is weird, since he does as well as Petry or Chorney by any measurement.

Not sure why. Has he got problems with effort? Is there just some huge hole in his game that lets him tread water in the minors but tears him to pieces against NHL players? I have barely seen the kid play, so I can't begin to guess.

5. loudog says:

Totally off topic here, but I was over at NHL.COM and came across what the Bruins call "State of the Bruins". Basically, fans have a chance to ask questions to a few players, some staff and/or owners. Pretty interesting and gives the fans the opportunity to meet players and ask questions that others might not.

I think it's brilliant idea. Unless I'm wrong, why is Edmonton unable or unwilling to do something like this? People would love this kind of stuff…

6. bookie says:

I hate 'in-Shape' Penner

I had this whole Bob Barker came to town to ask Edmonton to free Dustin Penner and allow him to retire to a California Sanctuary joke all ready to go…

Dammit

7. flamingpavelbure says:

Bob: What is supposed to be Ask an Oiler then?

Lord Bob: I think a clue might have come from Rob Daum (that all rhymes there) earlier this summer when he suggested some of the college kids were overwhelmed by the toughness and fighting of the AHL.

It seemed to me he (again!) might have been talking about Wild.

9. kris says:

gives the fans the opportunity to meet players and ask questions that others might not… it's a brilliant idea.

I see what you're saying loudog, but I'd be less optimistic about the average fan's questions…

Fan: Uh… like… what do NHL players eat and stuff?

Moreau: *facepalm*

10. Mr DeBakey says:

Two hints about why the Oilers haven't gone Wild:

- KP said last spring that Wild hasn't nearly the hockey smarts that Chorney does.

- Daum said a week or so ago tha some Euro's/NCAA guys had to be pushed onto the ice to face the AHL goon squads.
    Did the Falcons have any first year Euros last season?
    The two names that sprung to mind were Lerg & Wild.

11. kris says:

LT,

Any thoughts yet on who gets waived before the season starts?

kris: I think the Oilers will expose (or deal) Schremp and MacIntyre for sure, possibly Nilsson, Brule or Jacques.

Jason Gregor seems to think Pouliot may not make it so we should include him as well but imo that's a strange move.

13. Coach pb9617 says:

To be fair, Gregor thought that there was a second salary cap and that waivers didn't really apply to Brule.

14. Coach pb9617 says:

I'm watch the Speed channel and they just raced a '66 Coronet. Did the Oilers just send a Coronet down?

15. Black Dog says:

If they waive Schremp and MacIntyre then that's the roster up front, assuming Reddox and Stone also don't make it.

Can't see Jacques getting cut loose in any case. Or Brule.

Nilsson maybe though but again unless there is a surprise or Reddox sticks then the fourteen forwards are set I believe.

BDHS: I'm thinking the Oilers may dump another contract (waivers) if something interesting comes available on the waiver wire. I just can't believe they'll start the season with this group at center.

17. flamingpavelbure says:

Kids can't learn how to defend, if you don't actually give them a chance.

I'm pretty confident it's the thing theyr going for.

Thinking either Samwise or Todd Marchant will pop out as a defensive guy.

18. Black Dog says:

Agreed LT but see 2006 Dmen, 2007 forwards, 2008 centre …

Nilsson or Pouliot is the logical guy to get sent out but I think if Pouliot shows well they will keep him. As for Rowbert even if he is the odd midget out I'd think best to sit him in the PB or play him on the fourth line. Dumping him for nothing doesn't strike me as a great idea, despite his struggles last year.

19. Bank Shot says:

Wasn't Brodziak something of an early cut in the training camp a season before he became a full time Oilers?

Perhaps an early chop is a type of motivating tool to see if a guy like Wild will rise to the occasion. Or maybe they just hate his face.

20. Asiaoil says:

…just like we could not believe that they would start the year with the guys they had at center last season? Or the year before when we could not believe that they would start the season with the guys they had on defense? Common sense is in pretty short supply with this bunch and has been for years- expect the inexplicable.

BDHS: Yeah, I'd think dumping Nilsson for zero is a pretty poor bet. Then again, signing Comrie means someone is going.

Maybe they'll trade for Kessel.

22. flamingpavelbure says:

Since only Bailey,Tavares and Okposo seem to be somewhat acceptable top 6 forwards on the Islanders, and the humongous lack of decent NHLers. I think they would take Pouliot,Schremp,Brulé or any guy we send him. Bobby Nilsson might have some good value. Even tough i don't want him to go… D=

23. Coach pb9617 says:

Maybe they'll trade for Kessel.

How drole.

24. hunter1909 says:

I just don't believe Quinn's going to be so ignorant as to lose Schremp without a good long look at him playing in real games.

Watching the powerplague last night, Quinn's going to remember that cool as a cucumber pass Schremp made on that goal in game one versus the Flames.

Of course I'm about as delusional as anyone regarding the Oilers. Still, my irish numbskull self knows Quinn is no fool. Talent like Schremp's isn't duplicated anywhere on the roster.

25. flamingpavelbure says:

Maybe they'll trade for Kessel.

Seems like a good plan, Burke will just have to offer sheet after we made the deal lol.

26. kris says:

Keeping or dumping Nilsson is going to be a tough decision for management unless he has a great preseason/camp.

I'd dump him because the downside of dumping isn't as bad as people suggest and the downside of keeping a 2 million dollar guy in and out of the PB is awfull, given how many overpays we have.

Thus, the case for dumping Nilsson.

a.) If he can't pull his game together he's an overpay on a team that can't afford overpays.

b.) Suppose he looks bad in camp this year, we dump him and then does pull his game together next year. (This is the worst case scenario if we dump him.) Even if that happens, he's a free agent and may be able to negotiate a higher deal. That is, even if he improves next year, it's possible that he won't outperform the higher contract he'll demand.

c.) We might be able to do better on the open market with cap savings that we get from dumping Nilson. Think of this year's free agents. That cap money will be totally free and if we have it we'll be in less of a 'we are too close to the cap and have too many contracts' situation than we are now. In short, dumping Nilson brings freedom under the cap, which, as we are learning, is a big deal.

27. kris says:

Of course, dumping Nilsson means trading him on the cheap, likely a pick, and not waving him.

28. Black Dog says:

The thought of Kessel is nice.

They need need need to start shedding salary. Not to sound like a nervous nellie but if the cap is stagnant or drops next season there is going to be trouble. That is where moving Nilsson for a pick might make sense. Gagner, Cogs and Grebeshkov all up for renewal and only Comrie and Pisani coming off the books.

This club is going to have a crazy roster, I've never seen anything like it.

29. kris says:

Last thing: I know some folks are fans of Nilsson and have pointed out he did well at ES.

If Nilsson is that good, I think it'll show in a dominant camp/preseason and he won't get dumped.

I'd only dump him if he plays to his detractors expectations early.

30. Black Dog says:

kris – my main reason for not moving him is that guys are going to get hurt and I'd rather have him around, he's flawed but he's still a better option than Potulny or Minard, imo

This club doesn't have the depth to start dumping guys, even guys like Nilsson.

31. kris says:

Not to be any kind of Nellie, but if we had either

a.) Signed a cheaper goalie and not Comrie
    or
    b.) Moved Staios and Nilson and replaced them with Peckham and Reddox

then we could've been in the hunt for Kessel.

32. Coach pb9617 says:

Dumping Nilsson makes absolutely no cap sense when one could dump Moreau and pick up Niedermayer for a song.

Or Staios and pick up Skoula for a song.

33. kris says:

BDHS:

Too true. You're probably right.

But the inverse is also true: lot's of young guys coming up next year, e.g. Omark, Nash, MPS, Eberle. None of them are a lock, but in conjunction there's a reasonable chance one of them need a spot. And secondly, low price, serviceable FA's seem to be a feature of the new CBA. It's good to have the money and roster spots to pick some up, IMO.

34. Black Dog says:

kris – that's true, I'm thinking of this year's squad mainly

but I would guess there will be kids next year, either by design or by necessity

coach – absolutely but these guys haven't shown a lick of sense when it comes to the cap

what are they going to do next season? I swear they're going to have to move someone they'd rather not move

dummies

35. loudog says:

@Kris:
    "Fan: Uh… like… what do NHL players eat and stuff?

Moreau: *facepalm*"

lol. ya.. that would be a risk.. but someone could always filter the questions beforehand. Anyways. Saw a bit of what the bruins did, (I'm not a big Bruins fan) and I liked it. But I also know this Oiler organization is far from being the kind to try new things out. As an example, they could be embracing the Oilerblogosphere (sp?) instead of being afraid of it, but hey, a few years back we had the good ol' boys club running the show.. so new stuff like this will take time.

36. flamingpavelbure says:

I think Nilsson did not so bad last game. If Hemsky doesn't miss the wide open net, he finishes with 2 passes.

And as a sidenote, i think Nilsson isn't really that much threatened from not making the team, so TC might not have such big impact.

Let's wait for a few real games, then stay with him, or deal him to NYI

37. kris says:

Coach:

Why not move them all? Move Nilsson for picks (if he doesn't show well early) and dump or move Staios and Moreau.

According to capgeek, that's, 6.7MM in cap room and we'd need 3 players. Assuming we can replace Staios on the 3rd pair with Peckham's 0.6MM, or something similar, we'd have been able to sign two forwards for about 3MM each, or 4MM guy and a 2MM guy. Using Comrie as Nilsson's replacement, that leaves 5MM to buy a FA or upgrade other players.

Damn, that solves a lot of our problems.

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Comrie-Gagner-O'Sullivan
    Cogliano- 5MM Guy-Pisani
    Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini
    Reddox,Brule

Gilbert-Souray
    Grebeshkov-Visnovsky
    Smid-Peckham
    Strudwick

Khabibulin
    Deslauriers

Playoff team depending on who you sign. And if Gagner and Cogs improve that's a dangerous team.

38. Ed says:

Just to inject a dose of reality here, who's going to take these contracts?

Nilsson might get sent down. There's no chance Moreau and Staios get sent down. The buy out period has passed.

I don't see how any of these guys can be easily "dumped".

From what I've read Rob Niedermayer has had offers and turned them down because they were too low. He's looking for another (last?) payday. Of course most remember that Nilsson came from Long Island and they're probably not interested in having him back since he sang the same song over there.

39. rickibear says:

One of our two outscorers last two years.

Horcoff 31 Yrs old
    23yr season 61GM 22Pts +3
    24yr season 82GM 33pts +10
    Nilsson 24 yrs old
    22yr season 71GM 41Pts +8
    23YR Season 64GM 29Pts +1

07/08:

10th best set up forward in the league. 25th best points producer.

08/09:
    One of MacT's wipping boys. Took a step back like most of the top 6.
    Mact even said he lost the team.

Hmmm! I woonder which season is a better reflection of the player.

Yeah lets get rid of him!

40. bookie says:

Rickybear- I to find it really really strange how many people are basing their entire oppinion of this team and of indidivual players on bizaroland last year. It counts, but it needs to be tempered a bit.

We've been done this road a million times but fact is the Oilers have too many small guys. Quinn said just the other day that the Oilers were going to be a team that could "play it any way you want it."

Now, I want you to hold that image, hold it, hollld ittt, HOOLLLLLDDDD ITTTTTTTTTTT! and then imagine all of these men making the team:

Hemsky
    Gagner
    O'Sullivan
    Cogliano
    Comrie
    Nilsson
    Schremp

That's SIX FRICKING FORWARDS before we get to Sugarbreasts people! No damn way. I know Schremp excited everyone with that beauty pass the other night but there's just no way. The top 5 names up there will make the team along with Horcoff, Penner, Pisani, Moreau, Stortini and we'll say Pouliot.

That's 11 before we add some grit and size in people like Jacques. I like Nilsson, hell I'd love to see Schremp win the Calder but realistically this isn't going to happen.

42. FlamingPavelBure says:

Can we all agree MacT handled the situation in the worst way possible?

No. I don't agree. He went off the rails and he needed to go but the problems he had are still reflected on this roster.

It's like fighting a war with muskets.

44. bookie says:

Can we all agree MacT handled the situation in the worst way possible?

Not at all, because he could have made penner play all wrapped up in Chrismas lights and he could have replaced the water in the waterbottles with Vodka. There are a lot of things he could have done…

45. bookie says:

It's like fighting a war with muskets.

And pretending they were pointy sticks

No, that was Kevin Lowe.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

Hater.

48. Bruce says:

Well said, Lord Bob. :) It's all about age and expectation. Cornet had an exellent showing, played well in the rookie games and got a preseason game, impressive for a low-rounder who's still in junior. Even this early he can leave camp with a pat on the back and a smile on his face. O'Marra's embarking on his third year in pro and the bar has to be set way higher. Not only did he need to survive this cut, he's got to (continue to) show well as the numbers around him are reduced, so the next 7-10 days are key.

49. Bling says:

Ah, LT, but wasn't it you who suggested that Oiler management should nix the proposed Heatley deal for the reason that Cogliano's upside was unknown?

Same goes for Nilsson.

This guy has:

A) Scored in the SEL as a teenager
    B) Scored at a PPG pace in the AHL as a 20 year old
    C) Been an effective outscorer in the NHL for one season

That's a helluva lot of arrows pointing in the right direction. Is one bad year enough to nullify all of them?

And don't throw the "We need more size/toughness!" argument at me. It's bollocks — and iffy science too — for a bunch of alleged empiricists.

50. PDO says:

Wow is Dion a tool.

Throws a completely unnecessary hit, follows it up by running away from a fight, and then later in the game is asked to fight again and Mark Giordano has to step in for him.

What a douche bag.

51. Doogie2K says:

Did that guy come off the bench to fight Phaneuf? Jesus Christ. That scene was bad every way you slice it.

52. PDO says:

Doogie:

He did, but it looks like it was a legit line change as 2 guys were getting off the ice at the same time.

53. Bruce says:

What a totally fucking gutless hit in an early preseason game. Phaneuf broke the unwritten law .. and some day somebody is going to break him. Cheap shot prick.

At the very least, fight your own battles, you fucking coward.

54. kris says:

Bling and Rickibear,

First, we have
    Qual Team: 0.097
    Qual Comp: -0.030

That's great teammates and easy competition. He's old enough that he should be doing damage with those kind of minutes.

Moreover, Vic.'s Zonestart numbers say Nilsson started 42 more shifts in the offensive zone than the defensive zone. That's the highest number of anyone still on the team. (Ol 26 was worse.) That clearly should have helped helped his Corsi and ES goal differential.

However, his Corsi wasn't great, not as good as any regular in the top 6, e.g. Gagner, Penner, O'Sullivan. This is a problem given his Zonestart number, and it may suggest that he got a bit luckier than guys like O'Sullivan, Gagner, etc.

The only top 6'er or potential top 6'er that Nilsson faired better than Corsi wise was Cogs, but he should have, given how he was sheltered from tough comp., in the opponents zone and Cogs was on that ugly, poorly composed Moreau line.

55. Bruce says:

Just looked it up and all Phaneuf got was two for roughing. How far do you have to jump in the air to get a charging penalty? How obvviously do you need to go for the head shot before it's a deliberate injury penalty?? Hint to Mr Referee: the guy being immobilized and carried off the ice on a stretcher is your first clue.

That fucking garbage just makes my blood boil.

56. PunjabiOil says:

Novotny, Stepan with 4 goals and an assist tonight for Kelowna.

Who is he, and how do the Oilers retain his rights until the end of the month?

57. kris says:

That kind of hit should be illegal even if it's not now. It's like the helmet on helmet NFL hits.

Somebody's gonna get killed.

I know Stevens was famous for these kind of hits, and the fans love it, but you can lay off a half step, stop the player, and not risk doing real damage.

58. Perry K says:

Kris said….

"I get it, and I think Nilsson could show great things at camp. But there's some less sterling stuff in Nilsson's numbers from this last year too. He was really sheltered and should've done better given how he was used."

Good point, Kris. But I don't think you will find any one to argue that Nilsson had a bad season last year. Matter of fact, I think that he was looking a lot like Daddy and not showing up some of the times. His play was at both extremes, depending on how he felt any given night last year.

However, most of the people around here that have watched some TC have thought that he looks pretty good this year. I thought that he looked fine last night on that disfunctional line that he played on.

Doesn't take away from your point about the multiple smurfs on the team and only room for so many! But who wants him? The way he showed last season, I wouldn't trade a bucket of pucks for him and his $2 mill.

It may be that the best that we can do is play him in the most opportune spots, and try and trade him for some thing! Clearly, he has enough talent that we should be able to get at least a 2nd.

Just my $0.02.

59. Woogie says:

Mr DeBakey said…
    Two hints about why the Oilers haven't gone Wild:

Did the Falcons have any first year Euros last season?
    The two names that sprung to mind were Lerg & Wild.

5:58 PM, September 17, 2009

The comment about assuming Lerg was one of the players Daum was referring to cracks me up. How would Daum know anything about Lerg, he was injured the whole time Daum took over last year.He played one game in between injuries for him and hardly hit the ice. Secondly, Do you really think Edmonton signed him to go out and take on the AHL goon squad with his size? I don't see Sam Gagner pickin fights in the NHL. WTF! Lerg is a skilled forward who knows how to score. He needs to be used in that role and given a fair chance and the organization will benefit. You can fight all you want , but if the puck doesn't go in the net it will be another long year for Springfield.

60. Coach pb9617 says:

I'm going to go with 5 for elbowing and a game misconduct for the headshot, plus a 15 game suspension.

Whoever jumped in to fight the Islander as he engaged Phaneuf gets a misconduct for 3rd man in and a 3 game suspension.

61. Coach pb9617 says:

You'll admit though, that Nilsson has the possibility of turning into a legit player? At least he can turn into something.

Moreau is a known quantity – replacing him with Niedermayer for a million less just makes sense.

62. Ed says:

coach, have you read this?

Doesn't sound like he'd come to edm for a million less than moreau.

63. Stuart van says:

If Wild is an offensive defenseman, his skills are duplicated not only on the Oilers, but even on players that will be heading down to the AHL. Early departure might not mean the Oilers don't like him, he's just not in the cards this year. Plante and Motin, by contrast, bring tough physical play, and there is more room and need for defensemen like that. If Strudwick and Peckham goes down, who's you're 7th defenseman? It makes sense to keep these guys around and give them a good look.

64. Bruce says:

I know Stevens was famous for these kind of hits,

Stevens was famous for catching guys in the trolley tracks but not for leaving his feet in that manner. That was ridiculous.

and the fans love it

This fan's stomach turns every time I see a guy get carried off the ice. Doesn't much matter which team he's playing for, either.

Definitely should have been a major (or match) penalty. Suspensionable too, although 15 is wishful thinking.

65. Lord Bob says:

Scott Stevens would murder. you. dead. if you were flying across the centre with your head down. He would destroy you. He would hit you so hard your unborn children would suffer concussions. But he hardly ever left his feet, and most of his dirty hits were later in his career when he lost a couple steps and started getting sloppy.

Dion Phaneuf is a specialist in jumping up against the boards and trying to hurt somebody for no reason other than it makes TSN analysis moan ecstatically and causes him to get Norris nominations from people who don't actually understand what the object of a hockey game is.

Also, Scott Stevens could play the tough matchups and Dion Phaneuf couldn't shut me down for thirty minutes a night.

66. flamingpavelbure says:

Stevens was hard as nails, but he was clean as a whistle. Always with the shoulder, never with the elbow, not leaving his feet.
    He did it in the rules. Not really comparable with Phaneuf.