Oilers at Flames, PS G1/09-10

Oilers play their first pre-season games tonight in Hades. The Devil has some nice things this season but i think both Alberta teams are about to have seasons that are a lot about their goaltending. The game is being streamed online at oilers.com tonight.

Devan Dubnyk gets to throw the first pitch tonight and it is the beginning of a very important 10 months for him. Edmonton can only protect one of DD or JDD next year so one of the young goalies will need to clear waivers one year from now.

In interviews Dubnyk sounds very confident and the fact he’s getting the first start in pre-season is at the very least interesting.

Flames are playing a pedestrian lineup with a few low level veterans tonight, I imagine the Oilers will send 5 NHL forwards and 3 NHL defenseman down Highway 2. I don’t have ther lineups, but will post later (or you can in the comments section).

A ton of Oiler stuff on the Al Gore today, check it out at HF boards where they have one entire thread devoted to it or google “Edmonton Oilers” and pull up a chair. I love this time of year.

219 Responses to "Oilers at Flames, PS G1/09-10"

Newer Comments »

Even though its pre-season the first GDT of the year makes me giddy.

2. Smarmy Boss says:

I hope they kick the crap out of them. :)

(I don't care if it is preseason)

3. oilerdago says:

Hockey is back, I've survived another summer.

Certainly this will be more entertaining than watching Bettman squirm in a Phoenix courtroom.

Go OIL!

4. doritogrande says:

Of course I pick this day to cover a shift at work. Perfect.

I'm counting on you guys to be insightful and ornery.

H-bomb, I know it's preseason but what's on tap for tonight?

MacT on being on TSN NHL panel.

"I'm happy to finally be among the experts where the issues are many and solutions obvious," said MacTavish, a native of London, ON. "I appreciate TSN providing a safe haven for unemployed coaches, as we rehabilitate ourselves towards future employability."

So awesome.

HBomb:

Please make some Caesar's using Bakon Vodka, and give us a trip report.

Bacon and Tomatoes in a glass of booze.

Life is good.

7. Smytty777 says:

Woodguy: That quote is pure gold. MacT in as an analyst and Marc Crawford out? I'm looking forward to this season already.

8. Alice says:

Things we know:
    Bacon's good.
    Vodka's good too.

But holy Jeebus, I like a plate of jackfish, but I'm not sure I want to buy the essence of it in a liquor store. Luckily I still have half a quart of the Vodka-flavoured vodka kicking around. And some Tonic-flavored water,

Jacques – Horcoff – Schremp

Stone – Comrie – O'Sullivan

Moreau – Potulny – Minard

Stortini – Paukovich – Brennan

Chorney – Gilbert

Arsene – Staios

Strudwick – Plante

Dubnyk

Deslauriers

10. Kristopher Milligan says:

Wow nice call on the 5 and 3, LT.

Interesting that the first two lines are MUSCLE-SKILL-SKILL

3rd line is kinda that way too.

Holding out hope for ZORG-COGS/ROWBOAT-GAGS

12. Boondock says:

Seems to be a lot of potential ill-humoured rubbydubs in that lineup. Haven't been this excited to spend three hours huddled over a laptop since I was 15 and my parents first got internet at home. And that had nothing to do with hockey FYI.

13. woody says:

Over at ON Gregor just confirmed that Tambellini finally conceded that Brule will have to clear waivers if sent down. Gregor followed that up by saying you can mark it down now, Brule will make the team out of camp. So, how do the dominoes fall now?

14. Alice says:

I don't know, it'd be nice if Brule made the decision easy for them but that's the GM's problem if he doesn't make the squad. And how big a problem is it, really? If he gets picked up, that should be good news for him. I'd be surprised if they jig the roster to put him there if he's not earned it.

At the same time maybe this explains the Brodz move, to make the hole there for him knowing the waiver situation.

15. Alice says:

Rubbydub has found its way into my heart, I'll take Two, please.

16. Ribs says:

Speeds….YOU ARE….RIGHT?

17. Traktor says:

"So, how do the dominoes fall now?"

Put your Pouliot jersey on Ebay now before its too late.

18. Schitzo says:

Traktor:

Pfft, I'll be on ebay buying up the bargain Pouliot jersies, then wallpapering my room with them.

19. Ribs says:

A room covered with Poo. Beautiful.

20. Bruce says:

Comrie
    Cogs
    Pisani
    Moreau
    Brule
    Storts
    That's 12 names w Brule in, however they mix them Poo's not beating any of those

JFJ and Poo 13&14?

I like that Poo can cover a couple of spots, but he really needs to take vanilla up a notch with new bosses and 58 skaters running about.

22. Ribs says:

Just had to do it.

23. spOILer says:

I guess I will be at the game tonight.

Apparently there are some benefits to working with ex-Flames down here in the Cochrane…

24. Schitzo says:

Handjobs in the bathroom?

25. digger says:

From the Oilers website, it looks like the following will be the forward lines for Wednesday's game:

Nilsson Gagner Hemsky
    Penner Cogliano Eberle
    Cornet Reddox Pisani
    MacIntyre Brule Pouliot

Interesting.

26. andy grabia says:

Hey LT,

Can I get your email addy from you? Or do you wanna give me a holler at andygrabia@gmail.com

Thanks.

27. B.C.B. says:

I can't figure out why the Oilers only stream their pre-season games for viewers between the Rockies and the 'Peg, and above the 49th. I mean why would some transplanted albertan want to watch their beloved Oil, if they where stuck in Onterrible or the Sun Belt.

Seriously, could one of you brainy folks, explain the business advantage of only streaming pre-season games in a regional market and not to the fans around the world?

28. ian says:

Okay from what i have figured out
    Nilsson looks really good
    Penner looks fitter and motivated
    Horc as good as before last season
    Hemmer will be Hemmer
    Cogs face offs are better
    Gagner looks to be OK
    Schremp is going to make things interesting this year Pies was very good yesterday.
    There are 4 or 5 guys who are seriously pushing for a job
    Life is good in Edmonton and Springfield should have one heck of a team this year
    "I ll take a kool aid please, yes, supersize it"

29. flamingpavelbure says:

B.C.B : Are you serious? This is more stupid than the, Sportsnet blocking when it's a Flames or Oilers game Outside the area. I mean, i absolutetly LOVE watching CBC (Supper Play By Play guy) But keeping me from watching extra games is retarded!

30. Bill Needle says:

I can watch a half-dozen soccer games a day from all over the world in the soccer-crazed country of Canada with a pretty ordinary sports-oriented cable package but if I want to watch a hockey game forget it, you'll have to wait for the jai alai highlights.

31. PunjabiOil says:

MacT issued a press release relating to his contract with TSN:

"I'm happy to finally be among the experts where the issues are many and solutions obvious," MacTavish said in a release. "I appreciate TSN providing a safe haven for unemployed coaches, as we rehabilitate ourselves towards future employability."

32. flamingpavelbure says:

Yes, a network that uses Mike Milbury is sure to have obvious problems and answer, he can't figure trading it's top 5 picks is a bad idea.

33. Jfry says:

any other lowetider's going tonight? i can't wait to get my lips on the first heroin beer of the season and watch Zorg get the stick up on Prust!

34. Bank Shot says:

Howson just resigned Vermette for 3.75 per season.

I think its now pretty safe to say that Howson wasn't the mastermind behind any of the few bargain contracts the Oilers have had since the lockout.

35. DBO says:

any online feed for the game tonight? not that it'll be all that entertaining, but stillw ant to watch the kids run since a bunch of them will sit tomorrow.

36. DBO says:

Bank Shot. An overpay sure, but they have a ton of cap space in columbus, so they just reupped their #1 RW, #1 and #2 centres and none of them are over 25. that's a pretty solid foundation. the have 17 guys signed next year and still have almost $14 million in cap space next year and they have no big names to resign next year and can let Modin and torres walk or sign them for cheap. Columbus is in a heck of a position.

37. Smytty777 says:

DBO: Columbus' problem is not cap space, it's budget. They might have room under the cap, they don't have a lot under their budget.

They have some good young players and look to have a solid future, which is more than can be said for the Maclean years. But I can't help but think the Blue Jackets are the old Oilers.

Hard working, fun to watch and without a hope in hell of winning it all due to budgetary constraints.

38. Bank Shot says:

DBO: If they keep overpaying all their guys they'll be in caphell long before they are Stanley Cup contenders.

I agree they are in a pretty decent situation moneywise right now, but there are already some ugly contracts on a roster that probably overacheived to make the playoffs last season and is no lock to make it this year.

39. DBO says:

to put it in perspective for Columbus. they have their top 6 players locked up for at least the next 3 years, as well as pahlsson as their 3rd line centre. hell they have their top 9 locked up.

Voracek-Brassard-Nash
    Filatov-Vermette-Huselius
    Chimera-Pahlsson-Umberger

As well as their top 2 dmen. And I'm sure judging by this summer, he'll resign hejda to a multi year deal next summer.
    Sorry, but Howson has done just fine by me.

40. DBO says:

bankshot and smytty: i agree too many over pays and they are the old oilers. however the guys they are overpaying are under 30, whereas we overpay 30+. Hurt when i typed that. Sad now.

41. Oilmaniac says:

"Hurt when i typed that. Sad now."

Hahaha.. and now you begin the tortuous journey to understanding at least one fellow poster.. poor hunter,.. eventually that hurting sadness turns into hyperbolic outrage.. hehe

//Howson just resigned Vermette for 3.75 per season.//

But Vermette is twice the player than Stoll is, and Stoll is earning $3.6.

Vermette can play tough minutes, unlike Stoll.

It is not a bargain contract, but it is not an overpay.

43. flamingpavelbure says:

It's a fair contract, given Vermette was real good in his span with the club, and he has great defensive upside, and he's 25. It's fair, he's a PP PK and ES guy, all around.

44. uni says:

DBO: you can watch the games from the Oilers website can't you?

45. bookie says:

I thought MacT's comment was great. I really like MacT, but I am really glad that his overanalysis will be on the broadcaster side of hockey this year.

46. James L. says:

When I was living in NYC for a spell, neither the video from the Oilers website or from TSN would be accessible to me. So frustrating. Of course, that was back in 2007, so maybe I was spared some ugly things.

47. hunter1909 says:

"I thought MacT's comment was great."

I thought it was fun myself. Especially now that the team has brought in a real head coach.

48. Cory Klein says:

Generally if you have web streams/video blocked because of your location you can use a program called Hotspot Shield to change your IP.

I only use Hotspot Shield when I have a blocked video rather than on all the time because it introduces banner advertising into your web browser while active.

49. uni says:

Alright, for those of you who can't access the Oilers feed, download and install the Sopcast client here:

sopcast client

Start the sopcast client, it's fine to log in as "anonymous"

Copy and paste the following into the "Address" area and click on the arrow to the right of the area:

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/65179

From the looks of it 650K stream and excellent quality.

50. Icecastles says:

Waaahooo I have tickets to see the boys in their Winnipeg exhibition game! And wouldn't you know, the girl I started dating recently is a fan of… the Lightening. So she ain't comin'. :D

Any other Peggers heading to the game at MTS Centre on the 24th?

51. B.C.B. says:

Does anyone have any other suggestions other then 'hotspotshield'. I might have to give up on this (and by 'this' I am debating if I mean tonight's game or the Oiler season).

52. Alice says:

Welcome back, Kotter!, er Hunter!

53. NBOilerFan says:

@ B.C.B I'm in the same boat… streaming is blocked and can't find anyone else streaming it except here…

…. but its in sopcast… not sure if I want to download it.

54. B.C.B. says:

I don't understand the Oilers on this. There is no ads in this broadcast, it is not on any tv station, but only those in the West can watch the damn thing. It is like they are punishing me, for cheering for the Oilers in a non-regional market. I mean I can find Ranger games and Leaf games on a regular basis, but the Oilers' can't even let me watch a game they are giving away for free. I hate Katz. He can go fuck himself, in a big pile of money (I hope he gets paper cuts in unmentionable places).

55. uni says:

NBOilerFan, BCB, DBO et al, I've used Sopcast before, it's basically just a stream media playing client.

Very much like VLC except it only plays Sopcast streams and has adverts on the client which isn't a problem if you split the video out or maximize it. It's safe and pretty stable since 3.0 and above. I can vouch for it and it's how I've watched NHL games since about 2006 after the TVU client streams were kiboshed by the NHL.

You can follow my instructions posted above and use the address:

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/65179

That's a very good stream by Internet video quality standards.

56. Racki says:

This feed just had Schremp centering the top line with Horcoff on the wing.. hmm.. interesting.

57. NBOilerFan says:

On a positive note for me… just found out today that my tv provider is going to carry the Centre-Ice package which didn't appear to be the case about a month ago.

It's money well spent, let me tell you.

… just no so great on a marriage.

:D

The reason they don't allow the feed outside their market is because that's the agreement. If the Oilers started overstepping their market by allowing this to zoom into Toronto then the Leafs could begin allowing the same stuff to happen and stream into Edmonton and across the country.

As someone who is familiar with advertising, a Leaf broadcast streamed across this country could get a lot of national dollars (by that I mean clients who have locations across the country).

Oilers lose that race before they put on their sports bra.

59. grease trap says:

Anyone else in Edmonton having trouble getting the stream?

60. NBOilerFan says:

@Racki – I just checked out your blogsite and I have mixed emotions:

On one positive, the site looks fantastic and I only read two articles and great stuff.

On the negative, its gonna take some serious computer time to go back throgh the articles to catch up.

:D

61. PDO says:

Uni, the sopcast feed is giving me a redsox game…?

62. B.C.B. says:

thanks uni, but it doesn't seem to be working (I can't find a sop that likes safari or my mac version of firefox). Fuck Katz.

63. budorduke says:

***stream through nhl.com, not the oilers pr flames webpages.. it works that way

64. budorduke says:

nhl.tv.com i think it is..

65. jaredmc0 says:

first fight of the year goes to two ex regina pats. Nice.

66. NBOilerFan says:

@ budorduke

Thanks bud… that is working perfect!

The feed works you just have to close everything and try again until it works properly. Kind of like when we used to crank cars to start them. Wore onion belts….

I thought Dubnyk was supposed to start. Is there a story there?

69. NBOilerFan says:

I thought DD was starting between the pipes?

Well there's a turnover at the blueline they can't blame on Hemsky!!

71. B.C.B. says:

@ budorduke

Thanks, so much.

@ Katz

Still pissed at you, you rich bastard.

72. Doogie2K says:

I think Plante got the penalty for that little hook, but I don't think that's the reason he was able to catch up. His skating has improved. Bad penalty, but upside!

73. grease trap says:

Thanks, LT

I don't know what happened to Dubnyk but JDD looks sharp so far tonight.

Gimme 5 bees for a quarter you'd say.

I thought Dub was supposed to be in net tonight, JDD gets the start….

POS!

Good things happen when you shoot the puck.

77. Doogie2K says:

O'Sullivan from a half-mile away. I'll take it.

78. NBOilerFan says:

Nice goal from our first line LWer

79. uni says:

Ouch, that was a weak goal to let in. Here's hoping O'Sully can keep the shooting percentage up.

O'Sullivan (Stortini, Gilbert)

Nice of the Flames to give a blind guy a job, but goal? Seems strange.

Zorg getting the 1st assist. Not like those cheap 2nd assits that Lucic lives on….. :)

82. bookie says:

I have no sound, is it just me or is there no sound for the game?

bookie: There's sound, but it's drivel. All about the Flames.

84. NBOilerFan says:

Just you bookie… turn up the volume :D

85. Doogie2K says:

Zorg's 2/3 of the way to the Gordie Howe Hat Trick. I think he popped Prust's nose there.

86. PDO says:

Listening to Kerr, you'd think that Prust won that fight…

87. uni says:

Wow, I think that tilt went marginally in Stortini's favor, but you wouldn't think that from the audio commentary. Blatant homerism.

Paukovich is a big guy, I wish that announcer could read.

Where in fuck is Schremp going?

90. uni says:

I thought Shremp was trying to get into defensive position then he sort of, turned?

"Where in fuck is Schremp going?"

He's playing RW, of course he's gliding after the puck deep on the LW side in his own zone.

92. flamingpavelbure says:

Well i can see the game without programm, the announcer sucks a bit but heh.

But that's a stupid concept for TV.

90% of time

End game of LEafs/Habs/Sens
    =
    Beginning of Oilers/Flames/Nucks

Game, when it's on CBC i got a double hockey night =D

93. Phil says:

You know, Peter Maher is a first class play by play guy – he calls as even a game as you'll find… then they stick him with the two biggest homers you'll ever find in Mike Rogers and Rob Kerr, and it's nauseating.

94. Doogie2K says:

Keetley juggled that one Comrie shot pretty badly.

95. Traktor says:

Who is 84?

96. uni says:

These announcers must be in pre-season form themselves. I could swear the play-by-play guy just said there's 1 minute 30 seconds left in the period when there was 4:44 left then he said the correct time before the commercial break.

97. Mr DeBakey says:

The Oilers sent Pitton & Roy out today

I think Pitton is in his last year as a pro

98. Mr DeBakey says:

"Many consider MK to be the best first-shot goalie in the league"

Not!

99. Doogie2K says:

Off-topic: ex-Oilers Brad Isbister and Cory Cross have been named assistant coaches for my University of Calgary Dinos. I have no opinion, since I've been to one Dinos game in six years.

100. bookie says:

Sound works now, just needed a reboot after a java update.

THe announcers pretty much suck though. Calgary guys?

"Many consider Kiprusoff the best 1st save goalie in the league"

Not outside of Calgary.

No homerism at all here.

102. SK Oiler Fan says:

MUTE! I have a headache allready and I've only listened for 5 minutes. Awful

84 is Paukovich, he's a load. Stone a nice play along the boards there in the CGY zone.

104. Shawn says:

That's where Mark Howell is coaching, right? Calgary that is.

105. flamingpavelbure says:

Phil: Hey Rick J's hell of a homer, and it's what the fun's about :P.

Btw, what's your favorite play by play guys?

I like Jim Hughson a lot, and the guy for the Rangers is doing a neat job. Oh and also Rick's pretty good :P .

(Al Michaels is the best play by play guy all sports mixed)

106. Jonathan Willis says:

Wow, they weren't kidding about Stone's foot-speed.

107. Jonathan Willis says:

Was that Greentree who almost caught Paukovich? That would have been poetic.

108. uni says:

I love the disconnect from the commentary and the what we're actually seeing. The colour in this game is golden. I always get a kick out of local coverage in away games.

Also that was quite fun watching Stortini's line crashing the net.

109. pboy says:

I'm looking at ordering the Center Ice package but I have a question. Are the PayPerView games included on Center Ice or do you have to pay extra for them?

110. flamingpavelbure says:

111. NBOilerFan says:

Two players really standing out… Horcoff and Gilbert.

Glbert is a beauty!

112. Jonathan Willis says:

Commentators raving about Moreau now… I wonder if they'll mention that preseason injury he had a few years back.

Nope, guess not.

JDD, Plante, Jacques and Paukovich making an impression this period.

114. flamingpavelbure says:

Stone draws the Whistle!

115. Jonathan Willis says:

FPB: Disagree. He's not awful, but you can tell his acceleration ain't much.

"Schremp isn't as half bad at skating as scouting reports says… seriously he seemed decently fast."

He was essentially 1v1 on the flames defense and shot a weak wrister from the blue line.

If he could skate, he would have taken it wide.

117. Doogie2K says:

I noticed on his last shift that Schremp helped win the faceoff, clear the puck, then got it back a few seconds later and just put it on net, no dumb shit. So, that's something.

So do you think they're going to be switching goalies at the halfway mark, or is JDD going the distance? Has anyone been listening to Rod to find out what's up with that?

118. bookie says:

Somebody interview Penner, these interviews suck

Have to admit though he did a dandy job on that one shift where he, Jacques and Horcoff were all within about three feet of each other. Jesus.

120. Shawn says:

It's amazing there are moments when the prospects are out there that I think "oh those guys look pretty good" until suddenly Horcoff or Moreau comes over the boards. There is such a significant step from on the bubble to NHL regular. Kind of the no brainer statement of the year I suppose.

121. SK Oiler Fan says:

Stone – nice shift.
    Gilbert – Underappreciated – so smooth
    Schremp – skating looks quite good, just not creating much.
    JDD – looked to be making a point to be at the top of his crease.

122. uni says:

39, Minard I think hasn't looked too bad out there. Forechecks hard and seems to be going all out so far.

Also Paukovich is a lot bigger than I thought he was.

123. Cameron says:

"Pucko…. Puckowich"
    "Rocky Stone"

These announcers rule.

124. PDO says:

I know it's just preseason..

But Gilbert is far and away the best player on the ice right now.

I don't think you get PPV on Centre Ice in your local market. I couldn't get Ottawa games last year.

Aside:

Last year I was getting Centre Ice free in Ottawa, and have no idea why. I have Bell's VDSL service for condo's. Somebody in the building must have been paying for it, but I wasn't about to call and ask why I was getting Centre Ice service free. Last Sunday, I checked the NFL feeds, and I was getting them free to.

126. Doogie2K says:

These announcers rule.

To be fair, I never know who the fuck 3/4 of the Flames' prospects are when I go to games, either. It's because we know them that it grates.

127. SK Oiler Fan says:

Seidenberg signed in Florida for more than I thought – 2.25M for 1 year.

128. B.C.B. says:

pboy: it depends where you are in world. If you are in edmonton, I don't think you get pay per view on CenterIce. If you are out of town/alberta, then yes you do, unless the game is being covered by another local TV station (i.e. the Pay-Per-View is BlackHawks vs. Oilers: CenterIce doesn't cover the game in Edmonon, it is only on ppv, and in Chicago, it is on regular cable. Everywhere else gets the Chicago feed).

129. uni says:

I really sucks having Anton Stralman in Flames silks. Guy could be the next Kaberle and he got moved for what was basically a salary dump on Calgary's part. I can't understand why Burke made that trade still.

130. Traktor says:

JF might surprise some and score 10 this year.

131. Doogie2K says:

Gilbert kept it in four times before it finally came out. Nice work.

132. SK Oiler Fan says:

Comrie – nice patience

133. Doogie2K says:

I think that's Stone's goal.

134. flamingpavelbure says:

Nice play by Comrie drags the goal

O'Sullivan 2 (Comrie, Stone)

136. Doogie2K says:

Scratch that, Patty O'Lanterns from Stone and Comrie. He was my next guess. ;)

137. bookie says:

Did you see that GOAL, you can't buy talent like that!

POS.

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Comrie looked good behind the net. Looked off the defence and got a lot of room to come out.

139. bookie says:

Actually, Comrie made a nice play and the others fought to get to the crease area… It was just kind of funny how it dribbled in at 1 km/hr.

140. Smarmy Boss says:

If you live in your fave teams market. Such as an Oilfan in Sask. DO NOT GET CENTER ICE! You're better off getting your games on CBC and Sportsnet. PPV are just that PPV. YOu can't get around them. (They blackout the center ice feed)

Oilers look bigger in this game than I can recall in maybe 10 years. Huge forwards tonight.

142. Thrillho says:

@pboy

The PPV games should be included in the Center Ice package. When I had a dish with Bell two years ago they had the actual PPV games, but last year with Eastlink's digital cable, I only got the alternate feeds. Not as good but I still got to watch the game.

Best money I spend all year. All of the Sportsnet West games are blacked out here in NS.

143. PunjabiOil says:

Guess I must the only one who has literally no interest in pre-season hockey.

I'll still glance scores and all, and I'll attempt to follow all 82 regular season games if possible (usually fall short by 10-12), but Madden/NHL 10 are taking priority as we speak.

144. SK Oiler Fan says:

How can Quinn pay attention to the game with those pressed against the glass?

145. Bruce says:

Oiler radio colour guy (Stauffer?) on tonight's line-up "changes":

"The Flames are sitting out $44 million tonight, the Oilers are only sitting out $28 million"

Good line. :) No doubt the ticket prices are reduced commensurately …

146. Doogie2K says:

You know, it's hard to see numbers on this grainy-ass feed, but every time I hear Gilbert's name, he's doing something awesome.

147. uni says:

On the powerplay Schremp is just sublime…christ.

148. Traktor says:

JF sure looks different when the coach plays him more than 5 minutes a night.

149. Doogie2K says:

Twice in about 15 seconds, the Oilers had Keetley a mile out of position and shanked it (Jacques and Chorney). Ugh.

Another penalty to the Flames, though.

150. SK Oiler Fan says:

Too bad Scremp is a nightmare 5 vs 5.

151. pboy says:

I don't think Sugartits will play for the Oilers but he is going to be in someone's line-up this year. He has just enough talent that will convince some GM to trade for him.

152. Bruce says:

Jeez, seemed like we missed three open nets on that sequence.

153. PunjabiOil says:

Never was a fan of including Gilbert in the Heatley deal. That's why I was glad it was Smid whom is definitely more replaceable.

Funny how Gilbert never had the hype before establishing himself in the NHL. It was always Petry this, Chorney that. His development was unexpected.

Rob Schremp seems to know how to pass the puck a few different ways.

Made a very good play to keep the puck in as well.

Made a great pass to Horc who, umm, bobbled it a bit. Was wishing 10 had different stick juju this year.

155. pboy says:

Jesus, even with a bunch of career minor leaguers to choose from, I still cringe when I see Staios and Moreau on the PP……

156. uni says:

Completely differently player on the powerplay. Too bad for Schremp a lot of the game is played at even strength and some shorthanded.

Maybe if they waive him and no one picks him up he'll have a Danny Briere type epiphany and lights will start turning on.

157. Bruce says:

Doogie: I take it you missed the part where Gilbert coughed the puck at his own hash marks a couple minutes back?

He has looked good otherwise, at least in the little bit I've seen so far.

Anybody know if they're archiving this game? I'm running back out shortly, wouldn't mind giving it a look later. (Zorg's assist especially! :)

158. Thrillho says:

Oh, and thanks to everyone re: the nhl.com feed.

159. Doogie2K says:

For all the hand-wringing around here about the future of our goaltending…Keetley's been awful tonight. It's preseason, but geez.

Summer 2007:

Defenseman Tom Gilbert.

Looked very good in his NHL late-season audition and could very well pass some of the kids on D this season. Smart player with good offensive upside and seemed to impress coach MacTavish last year. There's almost no negatives, the only one I can think of being that it would be nice to put him on the third pairing with a veteran defender (which the Oilers cannot do). Had the best AHL rookie season by an Oiler defense prospect since Doug Lynch, he should get a full 550 at-bats and would have to be considered a candidate for the All-Rookie team in 07-08.

161. Doogie2K says:

Like I said, it's hard to see the numbers if they don't have their back turned to the camera.

Now here's Dubnyk and Irving.

162. PunjabiOil says:

Too bad Schremp is a nightmare 5 vs 5.

No surprise here. In some way, it will almost be a relief when he's sent down.

I don't even know why they're playing pre-season games anymore. The Oilers lineup is set for opening day. There are 14 forwards waiver eligible that will make the team (Brule, Stortini, and Jacques round up the final 3). Then you'll see Strudwick play as 7th defenceman. JDD as back-up.

Potulny (high AHL salary), Schremp, and Reddox will be sent, all having to clear waivers.

I'd like to see Potulny make the team though, given his ridiculously good season in Springfield. Unlikely however, but hopefully he's not claimed.

163. SK Oiler Fan says:

Keetly's been a fish out of water.

164. Bruce says:

Doogie: Agreed. Keetley did so much flopping tonight it looked like he was trying to swim Lake Ontario.

165. Bruce says:

SK: Simultaneous comments. Too funny.

166. SK Oiler Fan says:

Staios – mid season form
    That scares me.

167. SK Oiler Fan says:

DD makes the net look my kids mini-sticks net.

168. Traktor says:

lol

169. Doogie2K says:

I forgot to ask, because I wasn't looking at that point: when Plante was whistled, did he go to the right penalty box? He knows the route to the 'Dome's home box pretty well. ;)

170. SK Oiler Fan says:

Seriously. It doesn't even look fair.

If what's his name (Chabot?) can implant Giguer's positioning into DD they may have something.

Oilers are getting outplayed now.

172. SK Oiler Fan says:

Comrie is a nifty little troll isn't he?

173. PDO says:

I'm absolutely loving Jacques play tonight. He's using his body, he's driving the net, he's making plays with the puck, and he's passable on the PK thus far (albeit against AAA pitching).

Dubnyk has had a very good 10 minutes in my mind.

174. mc79hockey says:

Don't get used to it. ;)

Staples is handing out free tix for tomorrow's game on twitter, for those who follow him.

175. Doogie2K says:

I'm in the wrong city for that. :(

Also, I know this isn't Icethetics or Puck Daddy, but what the fuck is with the new ref jerseys? The orange stripes down the underside of the arm just look weird.

176. Black Gold says:

Moreau surprises no one and takes a quick two minutes…

Nice work by Plante there in his own end.

178. Traktor says:

If Staios had Arsene on the back of his jersey would he make this team?

I think he's done.

179. SK Oiler Fan says:

PDO, Looks more like Single A pitching. Calgary doesn't have alot of promise dressed tonight.

Negrin looks ok
    Srahlman looks good.
    Anybody else?

180. SK Oiler Fan says:

Stortini has spent more time on blue ice than white.
    Nice to see.

181. Doogie2K says:

What the fuck was that interference call? Come on, the puck had barely passed him.

182. bookie says:

Our Goalie's a total siv, we are doomed this season!

Sorry, just practicing my dramatic fan over-reaction so that I can have it down when the season starts…

183. Doogie2K says:

When isn't it a low-percentage play to have three guys in the offensive zone on the PK?

Oh well.

184. SK Oiler Fan says:

Stortini Brennan Paukovich would do alot of damage as an AHL line.

185. Traktor says:

Plante is the new Roy.

186. Doogie2K says:

Plante is the new Roy.

God, I hope not.

187. Doogie2K says:

And I missed the goal leaving that reply.

188. SK Oiler Fan says:

He's fun to watch on the PP.

Gilbert (Schremp, Comrie)

190. uni says:

Gilbert has that knack for sneakily sliding into the slot for one-timers.

191. bookie says:

I don't really follow the Oilers that much, but who is that 88 fellow, he looks really sharp with the puck on the Power Play. He looks like a guy who could really be an asset to the team, particularly if he is highly motivated and a good team player.

192. Doogie2K says:

You know it's the preseason when they bring in the backup mascot to man the T-shirt gun.

193. SK Oiler Fan says:

Is that what he means by F'in Rob Schremp hockey?

194. uni says:

Yep, the Flames have their farm players out in force tonight. Strahlman is a quality young defender though. I really think his upside is a Kaberle type player. I think I've noticed Moss doing some nice things as well. Keeter looked very shaky in goal though, and let in that suspect 1st goal from Sullivan.

Nice play by Chorney there, don't know that we'd have seen it last fall.

196. flamingpavelbure says:

There's competition in TC, even for Mascots. I think he's ready for the big leagues, the way he handled the cannon was pretty good, soft hands, did some high fives to the right ladies, has spirit going into this one.

He's ready for the bigs and the other one is beginning to get old.

We all know what to do…!

Dubnyk with a very nice save there.

198. Doogie2K says:

Nice play by Chorney there, don't know that we'd have seen it last fall.

Saw a couple of nice recoveries by Chorney this period. He's looked good.

199. SK Oiler Fan says:

Rebound wasn't kicked into a very good spot though.

200. Doogie2K says:

Horcoff and Die into the empty net.

Newer Comments »