Oilers at Islanders, PS G5/09-10

Pat Quinn’s postgame media conference had some quality insight. The best line was this one: “our veteran guys were the ones who abandoned the work, or went to individual habits early on.”

It’s been a problem for some time, and I think it may go back to that “generation gap” people talked about last season. I thought Gilbert Brule was flat last night, Pouliot not a lot better and Robert Nilsson reminded us about what happens when talented players aren’t fooling anyone.

The bigger concern has to be that Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky are floundering. It’s time to end the split squads, bring the veterans together, take out the trash and send in the clowns.

Lubo plays tonight, Oilers posted the following roster:

• G- Jeff Deslauriers, Devan Dubnyk
  • D- Lubomir Visnovsky, Steve Staios, Jason Strudwick, Taylor Chorney, Dean Arsene, Alex Plante
  • C- Shawn Horcoff, Mike Comrie, Marc Pouliot, Milan Kytnar
  • L- Patrick O’Sullivan, Ryan Stone, JF Jacques, Steve MacIntyre
  • R- Jordan Eberle, Fernando Pisani, Zack Stortini

Clearly they’ll need to add a forward here and I wonder if Dubnyk will get the start. Nice to see Lubo back in the game and the kids on the blue (Chorney, Plante) get one more game. I’ve got Pouliot listed at center–it looks like he’ll get NHL linemates again tonight. The fact that Eberle is playing again tonight is very interesting, in fact I count three forwards (Eberle, Pouliot, MacIntyre) who will play again.

Post lines if you see them, cuts could happen today and please pass them along too.

244 Responses to "Oilers at Islanders, PS G5/09-10"

« Older Comments
  1. speeds says:

LT:

What do you think about sticking Pisani in Stone's spot?

2. PunjabiOil says:

Another alternative is the Oilers sending Strudwick down to the minors, and have 3 forwards in the pressbos.

Recall him when there is an injury.

Theoretically makes sense, but unlikely to happen.

3. bookie says:

Here is the other thing I mentioned 'Deskpins'. Its a handy little program that allows you to 'pin' any page (like the Oiler game) so that it always stays on top. I have used different versions of this type of thing and this one works really well. I have used it in Xp and now use it with Vista with no problems.

I use it because I am at my computer working most evenings.

4. bookie says:

or it lets you comment like mad on LT's site while the game sits nicely in the top right corner :)

5. doritogrande says:

Did anyone else just completely lose the feed?

6. B.C.B. says:

yup, no feed

7. Schitzo says:

Would Strudwick make it through waivers, or would some team grab him as a 7th D?

8. Perry K says:

YEs! Neither sites work.

9. bookie says:

Yep, dead

10. doritogrande says:

Goddamn Saskatchewan. Nothing good comes of that province.

11. Perry K says:

I just got the Oilers site back

speeds: Terrific line on paper. Quinn has some options.

What happened to the feed?

13. bookie says:

Got mine working by refreshing.

dorito: My wife is from Saskatchewan. :-)

15. Gnash says:

The atdhe.net feed is still up

Kytnar does a ton of little things well.

17. flamingpavelbure says:

LT: Heretic! Heretic! Heretic!

18. Smarmy Boss says:

I just got home after leaving in the second intermission.

Oilers had no interest in the puck pursuit or cycling of any kind. The whole building was dead and bored.

I think what did it for me was half way through the second. Kytnar got the puck at the blue and skated in. This is a common play by the Blades. (and most teams) where you then through it to the net and your winger picks up the pass. Only Kytnar's wing had no interest in even going to the net.

Waste of money.

In the long run, I just can't see Stone making more of an impact than Brule.

On the surface this would seem so, but nothing Brule has done in the last 2 years or this pre-season makes me agree with that.

Brule is also very duplicated in this line up, Stone not as much (JFJ, Storts kinda)

I'm not sure I take JFJ over Stone as this point, but Stone has benefited from Comrie,POS finding a groove together.

20. doritogrande says:

Great, great forecheck by Pouliot.

Nice, aggressive forecheck from Pouliot there.

22. Perry K says:

Is Horcoff playing? I haven't seen him. Did he get hurt?

23. Gnash says:

Isn't that a cheerful looking bunch of suits..

24. bookie says:

Is Horcoff playing? I haven't seen him. Did he get hurt?

Yeah, major MCL tear in the first minute of the game, they had to bring the stretcher in.

Oh actually, I think he just didnt play tonight, thats right! No worries.

25. Black Gold says:

Who's this 78?
    We should think about keeping him around. :)

26. flamingpavelbure says:

Actually impressive PP.

Almost got it Pouliot!

Comon boy ya can do it!

27. Smarmy Boss says:

No Horcoff didn't play Potulny ended up spelling in.

28. Ribs says:

Just remembering something….What's the deal with Mikhnov? No interest to come to camp? Injured?

Poo having a good PP.

Vis moves and passes like silk.

30. bookie says:

I am starting to think that Eberle might get his 9-game stint. If that is the case, do the Oil have to waive someone that we would not have to waive otherwise.

Stone with a 60ft backhanded of teh boards bank pass on the tape of a moving Comrie.

Me like.

32. bookie says:

From HF

Mikhnov

Would like to return to the NHL but has no interest in playing in the AHL when he could stay home and earn a much larger pay cheque. Will come to North America but only with a 1-way contract in his pocket and thus far the Oilers have not seen enough that they feel warrants such a deal so in Russia Mikhnov will stay for now.

33. Ribs says:

Thanks bookie. That's too bad. I really wanted to get another look at him.

Is this what they're listening to in Saskatoon now? I used to buy .45's for 69cents at the Bay downtown 35 years ago.

I wore on onion on my belt….

35. Ribs says:

*passes LT some glow sticks* WOOOoooOOooooo!

36. B.C.B. says:

Alice: I think comparing Eberle's try to Reddox' try is too simplistic. Eberle is not a 4th line player, and Reddox is; Reddox plays PK, and Eberle doesn't; Eberle needs >12 minutes a night to improve, and Reddox doe not. Try is fine for the 4th line, but Eberle is not.

on another note: Why has Zorg not fought anyone?

37. bookie says:

Why has Zorg not fought anyone?

Cause he is a sure thing for the start of the season and nobody cares about preseason

38. spOILer says:

Bruce said>

For crying out loud, we had one game in Calgary (a day trip for the guys who played), two home games with a day off in between, flew out to Vancouver and we're bagged? We're in trouble.

I know, sounded weird to me too, but they made a specific point of mentioning it. Maybe there were delays at the airport? Dunno. Maybe the flu is doing its rounds? Dunno. I know in my office we started with a full crew on Friday, and by late afternoon it was just me and the receptionist left. (And they're not all lying bastages.)

But like I said, I dunno. I dunno if it is true or not. My first reaction isn't usually to upbraid the team with partial information, though, so sorry, can't commiserate.

39. jdrevenge says:

Fack. Watched the last ten minutes tonight and Comrie and O'Sullivan were looking great again. This team could look completely different come game one this year in terms of line combos. Should be an interesting week.

40. dwillms says:

Went to the game tonight, I live in SK and it was the first Oilers game I've been to.

Here's what I observed, most of which others saw as well:

* Eberle was EASILY the best forward, at least through 2 periods. Seemed to make something happen every time he touched the puck, and his speed surprised me

* Visnovsky is better with the puck on his stick than anyone, but makes some risky plays. Twice he took the puck right out in front of his own net and almost got burned.

* Stortini looks faster & like he's lost weight. Maybe because he wasn't sporting the caveman look

41. dwillms says:

Oh, and I thought Grebs looked terrible. Turned the puck over, lost battles down low, just not a good night perhaps

42. Alice says:

BCB – That was my point exactly, for Eberle the 'Try' has nothing to do with it. Unlike the 4-liners.

And yes, he'll need ice time to improve, and I have no sense right now what that'll cost us going the other way. The right place for him is the A, but the rules say Regina. Given that option, I'd rather see him take 50 games and 30 in the press box – what can he do in Regina except get used to 2nd-tier pitching? Next season he'll be a year older but you still have the same learning curve to deal with. And a cull through waivers might accomplish what they don't seem to have the will to do any other way.

You are right in that he will probably not progress much in the way of hockey, but allowing his body to mature and add muscle will help keeping him from getting killed in the NHL.

Boys shouldn't play with men (see Brule, Gilbert), it could wreck his career.

That and he get to UFA status a year earlier without getting a full year from him.

44. Alice says:

UFA status agreed, it's certainly an investment cost that needs to be considered.

And yes he will get stronger, and thus more effective, but his style is worlds apart from Brule. He may never get that much bigger, but he's bigger than Kane, and Kane was in the show at 18, with little ill-effect. NOT that he's as good as Kane(!) but he's a comp for small and slippery. It seems like less an issue for a guy who can play this style than someone who needs to bring the physical.

Now whether we need even more of that style is another question entirely, but do you sacrifice This guy to achieve the balance, or do you cut bait with an underperformer or two and get this fellow playing with his cohort (Cogs/Gagner) sooner?

I'd give him the 9, then he's had a taste and knows better what he needs to work on.

« Older Comments