Oilers at Islanders, PS G5/09-10

Pat Quinn’s postgame media conference had some quality insight. The best line was this one: “our veteran guys were the ones who abandoned the work, or went to individual habits early on.”

It’s been a problem for some time, and I think it may go back to that “generation gap” people talked about last season. I thought Gilbert Brule was flat last night, Pouliot not a lot better and Robert Nilsson reminded us about what happens when talented players aren’t fooling anyone.

The bigger concern has to be that Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky are floundering. It’s time to end the split squads, bring the veterans together, take out the trash and send in the clowns.

Lubo plays tonight, Oilers posted the following roster:

• G- Jeff Deslauriers, Devan Dubnyk
  • D- Lubomir Visnovsky, Steve Staios, Jason Strudwick, Taylor Chorney, Dean Arsene, Alex Plante
  • C- Shawn Horcoff, Mike Comrie, Marc Pouliot, Milan Kytnar
  • L- Patrick O’Sullivan, Ryan Stone, JF Jacques, Steve MacIntyre
  • R- Jordan Eberle, Fernando Pisani, Zack Stortini

Clearly they’ll need to add a forward here and I wonder if Dubnyk will get the start. Nice to see Lubo back in the game and the kids on the blue (Chorney, Plante) get one more game. I’ve got Pouliot listed at center–it looks like he’ll get NHL linemates again tonight. The fact that Eberle is playing again tonight is very interesting, in fact I count three forwards (Eberle, Pouliot, MacIntyre) who will play again.

Post lines if you see them, cuts could happen today and please pass them along too.

244 Responses to "Oilers at Islanders, PS G5/09-10"

Newer Comments »
  1. Black Dog says:

Quinn did say that he liked Eberle and Pouliot last night, good sign for Pouliot there.

Gagner and Hemsky have played together so far, no?

I think its not working.

We'll see Hemsky with Horcoff and Gagner with ? Comrie?

As for Nilsson its the same old, talk about him being an outscorer etc etc the guy doesn't seem to be able to put it together. When his job is on the line (apparently) and he's showing nothing against scrubs that says a lot, imo.

2. HBomb says:

Hello from Regina, SK! Yes, down here on a roadtrip in enemy territory to cheer on the Esks this afternoon.

Anyways – this Cogliano at center business needs to end, like right now.

Less than a fortnight until opening night. I hope they are down to 28 players in camp after tonight. Get the permanent combos together and work on some serious systems, like PP and PK.

3. Mr DeBakey says:

Just checked out the Face-Off report from last night's game.
    Yikes

Best results for the Oil, 50% – Penner & McDonald
    Uh-oh

Pouliot & Cogliano were next at 46%
    Problem – Cogliano was 5 for 5 in the neutral zone.
    O & D zones?
    Barf

Pouliot won the draw on Souray's goal, but was 1 of 7 in the D-zone. ONE of SEVEN.
    Yowza

4. Icecastles says:

I guess it's good to take losses early if for no other reason than to remind the players that nothing is going to be easy, and wins are not going to be handed to them… an attitude issue that I think was (along with other things) at the core of the early part of their season last year.

As much as I can appreciate the veterans not going all-out and risking unnecessary injury in the preseason, I get twangs of panic when I see them phoning it in. You have to think that if overpays like Staios are on the team, they still have an enormous role to play as mentors and role models. And a role model has a tough sell when the first impressions they leave their protégés are that you can take it easy sometimes, or that you can take your skill/position/rust-shaking-off-ness for granted.

There are a lot of things to like about the team this year, but I think the only thing that is going to get them into the playoffs (apologies to the people who see the game on exclusively a statistical level) are heart, discipline and commitment level. Three things that, almost by definition, cannot come and go depending on the night and what's on the line.

And that goes double if you're the g.d. captain.

5. Dennis says:

I only watched the first period of last night's game plus right up until the Dys scored the winner so I didn't get a great overall look.

Though, I think the general consensus is the correct one.

You'd imagine that 12 would be hustling just a little given the fact that by virtue of him already having been paid plus Comrie here on the cheap, he's really in the crosshairs.

6. digger says:

From the Oilers daily update:

-Dubnyk will play the whole game
    -Practice had the following lines:

O'Sullivan-Horcoff-Jacques
    Eberle-Kytnar-Stone
    Stortini-Comrie-Trukhno

And with the lineup below, I suppose the last line would be MacIntyre-Pouliot-Pisani…

8 Dean Arsene D
    48 Alex Plante D
    64 Milan Kytnar C
    71 Lubomir Visnovsky D
    78 Marc Pouliot C
    91 Mike Comrie C

7. speeds says:

If I had to guess, I still think the Oilers start October 3rd with Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky.

8. bookie says:

Quote from Quinn ""We got back into some bad habits; pretty individual plays. The emotion didn't show up."

I am thinking that this is another nail in the coffin for Nilsson.

I think Mac is being played to confirm if the guy can actually play at all at this level or if he is just a fist. I would bet Quinn wants him gone but the Management kinda wants him here because they remember the void between Smac and Laroque.

Good sign for Eberle, but I think they will send him back to junior. I think the only question is if he gets 9 games in the bigs. This is a tough question because it probably means that someone else gets waived to make room (for just 9 games worth of play).

I think Quinn's quote on individual play is a very interesting and telling story – I dont know what the story is exactly…

9. DBO says:

So with Comrie playing so well at centre, they have to consider him there right? he has chemistry withO'sullivan, so i would expect them together. O'Sullivan may be solidifying himself on the first line, whoever his centre is. And i agree, one of gagner and Cogliano needs to move to wing if this is to work.

Gagner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    O'Sullivan-Comrie-Stone/Jacques
    Penner-Cogliano-Pisani
    Moreau-pouliot-Stortini

I can live with that lineup.

10. Psyche says:

HBomb – Thanks for bringing the clouds with you. It has been sunny and near 30 degrees all week long, until today. lol.

Terrific quote from Deslauriers in the Edm Sun: "They say there's a million roads that lead to Rome. Some are harder, some are easy. Some are long, some are short, but if you stay on the road you will get there."

Nice perspective that I think will only serve him well.

My last thought is with Moreau. Is he the right fit as captain for this team? Quinn said last night, "We have to build a trust in each other and that trust isn't there." It sounds like the Oilers require leadership to bridge the gap of the veterans and younger players – to build trust. Can Moreau be that leader? Is there someone better already within the group?

11. hunter1909 says:

"I dont know what the story is exactly…"

It's fairly straightforward. The veterans have been developed terribly, and as a result have all kinds of crappy on ice habits that the previous maladministration were oblivious too.

Whenever they get pressured, the veterans resort to their MacT(useless) game. Quinn wants to teach them, but he's realising it's not going to happen overnight.

12. DBO says:

So maybe Quinn can go to tambellini, and since none of those vets are "their" vets, moves can be made. This probably doesn't bode well for Moreau and Staios. heck, everyone is game (within reason) with a whole new management/coaching team in the last 2 years. Guys like Moreau and Staios will have value to teams likwe Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago, etc. teams that are young but are contenders and guys like Moreau and Staios will be in defined, lesser roles.

this gives me hope that moreau may be a 4th liner this year, and that Staios will never see his minutes go over 20.

13. Wolfie says:

It sure looks like Nilsson is punching his ticket out of town. He was asked to play a checking role last night but he looked awful.

The 15 lbs he supposedly gained hasn't done anything to help him from getting knocked off the puck.

Hemsky sure misses Horcoff out there. This team could have a very different look once camp breaks. I would be very surprised if Quinn doesn't at least keep O'Sullivan and Comrie together for a little while.

14. Bruce says:

Just checked out the Face-Off report from last night's game.
    Yikes

Not just last night, but it's getting worse:

Tue: 30/64 = 47%
    Wed: 24/52 = 46%
    Fri: 19/46 = 41%
    Sat: 19/52 = 37%

It was a problem last year, management did fuck-all to fix it, in fact made matters MUCH worse by trading Brodziak, and there's no one in the system who can win a bloody draw even against other scrubs. Reddox 2/11, 22% is not going to turn heads (in a good way) for that 4C spot.

15. knighttown says:

Not being in Edmonton, can someone shed some light on a typical day at training camp. To my eye, it seems too much of training camp is games and alternatively, very little is systems and procedures.

Does the entire team spend the day at the training facility watching tapes, skating and practicing special teams and then the black aces gets the night off. Or do they just hit the gym, grab some popcorn and watch some hockey.

I suppose the first week was systems and procedures but there were 50 guys on the ice. This team needs hours and hours of repetitions on the PK and PP with the guys that are going to play together.

16. Bruce says:

I give Reddox too much credit, he was actually at 18% last night.

Much more disturbing than that is that as a team, the Oilers won 3 of 20 faceoffs in their own zone. 15%.

FFS.

17. Bar Qu says:

there's no one in the system who can win a bloody draw.

Cue Sillinger's return to the ice!

18. Scott Reynolds says:

Part of the problem with the team last night may have been that there were too few guys really fighting for jobs. You had Pouliot, Eberle and Reddox who all played pretty well I thought, plus Brule who wasn't very good and then Nilsson who, it seems to me, doesn't believe that his job is on the line. And who knows, the Oilers lost money last year, so maybe he's right :)

Then we had the vets and the scrubs who both looked surprised by the level of play. The vets coped but didn't respond with fire which I'm sure is frustrating for the coaches while the scrubs looked like they were trying but just didn't have that next level (seriously, could Young have played that 2 on 1 worse).

If the lines are as advertised that seems a bit odd. I don't know why they'd put Comrie and Stortini with Trukhno instead of, say MacIntyre. It seems to me you may as well test drive possible regular season combos and leave the probable AHL guys with one another. Maybe the coaches are trying to get a feel for how O'Sullivan, Comrie and Stone play when away from one another. We'll see I suppose.

Finally, you've been doing great stuff all preseason LT. Much appreciated.

19. Bruce says:

Icecastles: Agree in principle, but I'm not sure why you're singling out Staios. He put in his usual effort at the game I attended on Friday, and in his other game in Calgary the stats page shows 6 attempted shots, 2 hits, 2 blocks … in other words, no shortcuts for Steady Steve.

Well said. I'm a stats guy, but not exclusively so … ultimately, if you don't have the attributes you name, you're not going to have the stats either.

20. Black Dog says:

I for one am shocked, shocked!, at the Oilers losing all of those faceoffs.

I mean nobody saw that one coming, right? Or they certainly would have gone out and gotten Horcoff some help, kept Brodziak and moved Cogliano to the wing.

Crazy shit.

21. PunjabiOil says:

Two articles of interest today – one questions whether or not Pisani should be worried about his job as he's played 8 minutes in the first 3 games.

The second article relates to the Oilers drumming up interest in the new arena movement. The title reads, "New Arena will be spectacular"

22. spOILer says:

The commentators last night did say both teams came in a little bagged from the travel. Even though they're only playing every second game, it probably takes a little while to get the body into travel mode.

MacIntyre's skating has definitely improved. He looks a little more willing to commit to the forecheck without worrying about whether he can get back down the ice.

I thought Eberle did play well too, and Nilsson obviously struggled a bit. Still looks like he's doing too much. The penalty they called on him looked like a cheap call though.

The face-off stats were already abysmal at the end of two and the third did nothing to improve them.

I thought at times the Cogliano-Penner duo were excellent, especially at generating chances off the forecheck.

If we assume Quinn is going to keep the chemistry between Comrie and O'Sully, and return Hemsky to Horcoff, how does that leave the lines? What if we further assume they'll keep Cogs and Penner together? Could we see a line-up that looks like this:

GAGN HORC HEMS
    PENN COGL NILS
    OSUL COMR PISA
    MORE POUL STOR

Hmm. I don't mind that top 9 so much. I don't see much point in keeping Moreau, if he can only play on the 4th line. I suppose he could take Gagner's spot on the 1st, and then move Gagner to Nilsson's spot on the 2nd and dump Nilsson, but it really shows how hurtin we are for a shooting winger to play on the 1st line, if Penner and PaddyO keep their respective pairings.

23. spOILer says:

I for one am shocked, shocked!, at the Oilers losing all of those faceoffs.

ROFLMAO!

24. Black Dog says:

PJO – where was that?

Personally I don't put much stock in it, its like Jacques and Schremp playing with Horcoff or some of the guys who have been on special teams.

I hope, anyhow.

Maybe they're going to dump Pisani and Moreau? That would solve that pesky logjam at forward.

25. Icecastles says:

Bruse said: …Agree in principle, but I'm not sure why you're singling out Staios….

It's more that he's the first underperforming vet who came to mind, and I see him as the purest example of someone worth keeping around as a mentor and stabilizing influence. He's not the player he once was, but you're right: he is rarely one to phone it in.

The captain however… I just don't see the leadership qualities in that guy. Commanding, yes. But you should be able to stand in front and have the team follow you, not stand behind and push them forward. But they need a leader, not a herdsman.

Some of us have been worrying about Pisani for awhile now, and fretting over the lack of a replacement for him.

So the early season minutes better be a tell about him being ready and looking at others or this is yet another area of imbalance that could have been addressed in summer.

27. Smarmy Boss says:

I'll be at the game tonight. At least I get to see Vish… oh and our saviour Mike Comrie.

I suspect the Oilers will leave Kytnar with the Blades when they leave town.

With Niemi and Kytnar coming back to the Blades the poor kid they imported from Sweden gets to go back home…

28. grant says:

This gives me hope. Moreau playing 4th line minutes with some PK time would make me very happy.

29. Gnash says:

There's clearly at least one change from the lineups posted earlier in this thread, as Trukhno is among today's cuts, as per the Oilers site:

The Edmonton Oilers assigned five players to Springfield of the American Hockey League and released one today leaving their roster at 42 players.

Assigned to Springfield (AHL): Johan Motin (D), Viacheslav Trukhno (LW), Geoff Paukovich (LW), Colin McDonald (RW) and Charles Linglet (LW).

Released: Miroslav Lazo (RW).

No surprises there, should be two or three AHL defenders sent out tomorrow and possibly Dubnyk.

31. speeds says:

knighttown:

this was a pretty strange preseason schedule, with 5 games in 6 days.

After today, they have 3 games in the 12 days before the season starts on the 3rd, which leaves a ton of practice time. They do have BTB games on the 23rd and 24th, they may keep 35 or so until those are over. I'm not sure how long they'll wait to make the final cuts after that, I would guess they'll keep 26 or 27 until they have to cut down to 23, just so the projected first callups are familiar with what the coaches might want if/when recalled, but maybe they'll get down to their number earlier to give the other guys time to practice in Springfield?

32. grant says:

who are we going to motincrush on now?

33. Black Dog says:

LT – Quinn said yesterday that they'd likely keep both kid goalies right up until the end of camp.

Lowe then chimed in and said, hell, we'll do better than that, we'll keep both around all season.

OK, I made the second part up.

But it sounds like Dubnyk is going to be around for a little while longer.

Other than the juniors have they sent down anyone who might actually be in their future plans? I guess Motin is the first.

34. Peter says:

No surprises there LT? You didn't expect McDonald and Paukovich to stick around at least a little longer?

35. Bruce says:

LT: No surprise to see Motin shipped while Arsene, Taylor and Young stick around? (I agree it's probably only for a day or two tops for at least two of them.)

36. speeds says:

looks like Potulny will be the 12th forward tonight:

37. Bruce says:

For crying out loud, we had one game in Calgary (a day trip for the guys who played), two home games with a day off in between, flew out to Vancouver and we're bagged? We're in trouble.

Bagged is what the Florida Pussycats were when they came to Edmonton Friday after games in Halifax Tuesday, Ottawa Wednesday, and Montreal Thursday. That's got to be gruelling even if you only play 2 of the 4 games.

But for the Oilers last night, it's simply not an (acceptable) excuse.

That said, I didn't see the game, but judging from the comments here, we pretty much sucked. Cancel that parade route.

Bruce: I think Motin made a good impression. If he continues to play well in Springfield one expects he'd be "in the mix" for callup after Peckham and Chorney.

He could get a couple of NHL games this season, which was hit outer marker going in imo. A job well done.

As for the other D, Arsene and Taylor have played well and Plante clearly impressed too but he'll play tonight and likely be sent to Springfield tomorrow.

Which is the same timeline (final pre-season game) as Motin unless I've missed something.

Stone – Kytnar – Eberle

MacIntyre – Pouliot – Pisani

Minard – Comrie – Stortini

Jacques – Potulny – O'Sullivan

Strudwick – Plante

Arsene – Staios

Chorney – Visnovsky

Dubnyk

Deslauriers

Interesting lineup. I wonder what the PP will look like?

40. Psyche says:

I appreciate the theme of a big, physical body on each forward line.

41. bookie says:

I think someone like Motin goes down because of two factors.

1.He is not making this team at the start of the season no matter what.

2. There is not much more to learn about him at this point in time. He showed up big time and is a great prospect. File that in the folder and start thinking about who is starting this season and about getting everyone buying into the new systems

42. Yeti says:

Has Potulny really dropped off the radar. I guess the only ever envisioned him as an AHL guy, hence the contract and lack of ice time in pre-season.

43. Black Dog says:

LT – can't be any worse than many PPs we've seen through the years

44. Bruce says:

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about Plante, who is more on equal footing with Motin than the others. Chorney is somewhere in between those two and Arsene/Taylor/Young, as well, but is clearly above both on the pecking order for now.

You're probably not, although typically you mark these transactions by date (a historical reference I really appreciate btw), and today Plante is here and Motin is not. Also, won't tonight be Plante's third game (Motin 2)?

Yeah I know I'm splitting hairs and bottom line is Motin showed well and is (or better be) firmly in the org.'s plans. I'm a fan too, but this year is all about development. I just hope he's in the top 6 for SF every night; by all means surround him with some vets, but he should be a priority.

45. Lord Bob says:

Seems strange that the Oilers won't let Motin get a couple chances against men in the later preseason games. It's not like the Springfield Falcons desperately need him to open camp.

Perhaps the brass don't feel the same way about Motin we do. Or perhaps they're just being dogmatic (raaar! send the kid out if he can't make the team!)

Either way, I don't like it.

46. Doogie2K says:

LT: The way you listed those D pairings I thought for a split second that 43-48 was the top pairing. Now, I'm the 'sphere's resident Alex Plante defender/fanboy, but Jesus Christ, that would've been terrifying.

Speaking of, I wonder if he gets a look on the PP tonight? He played on the PP throughout his junior career, first with Alzner, then later with Seabrook the Younger and a bit with I believe Paul Postma, and looked pretty good doing so.

47. She says:

SB:

Me too. My son is pumped about 71's first game.

I suspect the Oilers will leave Kytnar with the Blades when they leave town.

Me too, again. Nice of the org to give him a game in front of the home crowd.

Also- no Schremp?? Damn Quinn is ruining him, not giving him a break, blah blah ;)

48. Bruce says:

Every time I've seen Plante — a couple times with the Hitmen, a couple of "rookie" games, and Friday's preseason game — he has impressed me with his puckhandling. Nothing spectacular, but he knows what he's doing and seems to have decent hands. How is his shot?

Doogie: Just a copy/paste from CHED link speeds posted earlier.

Bruce: That is interesting that Plante is getting the extra game. That's clearly a tell imo. I will btw have a post on the players sent out today (and their send out date a year ago). Nice to know someone else is interesting in what must be the ultimate "is this really necessary?" post. :-)

50. oil dude says:

Potulny was a last minute addition? This will be his and Minards second game out of 5. For seasoned AHL scorers that had an outside chance to crack the lineup you'd think they would have seen more ice time than guys like Brennan and Paukovich at this point. I imagine they will send out about 10 players before Wednesday against the Flamers.

51. Schitzo says:

Man, I can see why the Oilers didn't bother with Hrabel, there's a logjam in Springfield this year.

Assuming all of Chorney, Peckham, Plante and Motin are legitimate prospects, and you have Arsene and Taylor in the "veteran leader" category, does that make Young the pressbox guy? And what happens if you're Cody Wild? Or Petry next year?

52. hunter1909 says:

Schremp isn't playing tonight because he's already made the team, right?

53. Schitzo says:

Hopefully so, although it might also be a case of first rounders getting more chances.

Especially first rounders who people have been grumbling about as a questionable pick.

54. grant says:

Does Schremp clear waivers? Methinks he does, he has shown that the NHL isn't quite ready for Rob Schremp hockey.

55. bookie says:

Schremp isn't playing tonight because he's already made the team, right?

Yes, of course, I think that's pretty clear.

To be honest, I think that this preseason pretty much validates the naysayers about Shremp. That he showed up to camp in shape and ready to make the team, but has been pretty invisible is a strange combination though.

I am thinking that in a very short period of time, the guy will either be ranting and raving about how he has been screwed out of an NHL career, or he will begin to recognise the limits of 'Rob Schremp Hockey'.

I suspect that he will be ranting about the cabal of NHL GMs who are unwilling to take him on waiver becasuse they are all in bed with Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish….

56. Lord Bob says:

Invisible, bookie?

He had one excellent game and one average game.

57. PDO says:

Lord Bob:

When did having two good PP shifts while doing sweet fuck all the rest of the game become excellent? I know the world isn't ready for Rob Schremp Hockey yet, but even this seems like a stretch…

58. PDO says:

Sorry,

Rob Fucking Schremp Hockey.

59. Bruce says:

He had one excellent game and one average game.

I'm assuming the "average" game was the game I attended on Friday. If that was average, I'd hate to see lousy. He was OK defensively (against the Florida Popguns, mind), but didn't create squat. I for one was severely underimpressed.

Interesting that Ole Timey Coach calls out this group for lack of effort a second time (1st time after the Islander game), and making sure the vets knew he was calling them out too.

thecaptainethanmoreau being part of the group both times.

No one playing follow the leader, or no leader to follow?

61. Bruce says:

making sure the vets knew he was calling them out too

About fucking time.

I wish when they reassigned the locker room seating arrangements that they had taken all the letters off the sweaters and announced an open competition for them too.

62. bookie says:

Invisible, bookie?

He had one excellent game and one average game.

I have not been a Rob Schremp detractor, rather more of a neutral, but hoping for the guy, kinda person.

I was actually convinced that he was going to really impress at camp along with Penner and Nilsson (all in great physical shape, etc). Perhaps my hopes were raised too high.

I saw some nice passes and puck plays in the first game, but I saw a lot more giveaways and modest play. He was better than some of the AHLers out there, but worse than others. He did not play in a manner that indicates in any way that he could play in the NHL. The second game, he did nothing.

LT has been saying this for a while (Schremp not good enough for NHL), and given the dislike i have developed for MacT's coaching over the past 18 months or so, I have been offering countering perspectives (suggesting that with the feeling of real opportunity that Schemp might show something).

It looks to me today that LT was correct in this one. Sometimes Schremp does wonderful stuff, but not often enough to make the big show.

63. bookie says:

I was really surprised that they didnt strip the A and C when the new coach came aboard, it would not be unusual to do so, would it?

Anyone know the norm for this?

64. Alice says:

Quinn described the style of play as 'too much chasing after the puck"
    Well, to be blunt WTF-else is going to happen when you start every sequence without it?
    Improvement on the dot would be a nice step towards fixing that

Stone – Kytnar – Eberle

MacIntyre – Pouliot – Pisani

Minard – Comrie – Stortini

Jacques – Potulny – O'Sullivan

Strudwick – Plante

Arsene – Staios

Chorney – Visnovsky

Dubnyk

Deslauriers

Interesting lineup. I wonder what the PP will look like?

LT, where did you get the lines from?

Oilers official site doesn't have the lines, and has Horcoff in the lineup, not Potulny.

In regard to Pisani, he did in fact turn the puck over the other night which led to about 10 minutes of running uphill, but that seems to be a bit harsh for a veteran with his proven track record. And I do understand the idea of new sheriff in town and not allowing entitlement but pre-season?

More likely he's lost a step imo, it's something to watch very closely tonight.

Woodguy: It was the speeds link a ways up this thread.

68. Bruce says:

Pisani was BY FAR our best penalty-killer last season. Here's the BtN 4v5 ratings of those forwards who played 20+ GP (with the Oilers) at 1:00+ SH TOI/G:

Player: +- ON/60 +- OFF/60 (Diff)
    ———————————–
    Pisani …. -3.99 …. -8.75 (+4.76)
    Brodziak . -7.61 …. -7.83 (+0.22)
    Moreau … -7.89 …. -6.77 (-1.12)
    Horcoff … -8.45 …. -6.08 (-2.37)
    Reddox … -9.15 …. -6.41 (-2.74)

Management's response was to dump Brodziak and bring in Comrie. Is the next move to dump Pisani? And what, promote Schremp to the first PK unit? Hard to imagine Fernando's in trouble at this early stage.

Bruce: The only two reasonable possibilities are injury and that he's lost a step. Pisani had a significant situation that may have robbed him of something (endurance? a step?) that has caused his performance level to fall away.

He's not old by any means, but that may have had a significant impact on his career.

70. Bruce says:

LT: Of course. I'm a big fan of the person as well as the player, and am concerned about his health. Unfortunately he has not been up to physical par for the last two years and the club has suffered dearly in his absence.

I don't suppose Fernando is irreplaceable, but I would suggest that is very nearly true from within the organization. Hoping for the best isn't nearly enough, but for us fans it's about all we can do.

71. Bruce says:

PS: Those PK stats don't suggest a drop-off in performance, do they?

Bruce: No, they look terrific. However, we don't know how he's tested or what kind of TC he's had (I do recall a turnover in that one game, can't recall which one) outside of the article today and the stats that show very few minutes.

If I had to guess, it would be that guys like Stone and Jacques performed well and they decided that Pisani could wait another couple of games before getting started.

73. hunter1909 says:

I'm from a cruel heartless background, one that suggests whenever anyone can't cut it, although it might be possible to give them a patently smaller role for old times sake, they can also be sent packing if needs must.

Pisani has been a semi- basket case Oiler for how many seasons now? Two?

He's no longer young in hockey player terms, and his health problems mitigate taking an enormous hard look at his potential for wasting a roster spot, this on a team that has missed three seasons of playoffs in a row.

Since I'm pretty sure I can read Quinn's mind, right now Pisani's probably got about as good a chance as not making the final roster as any of the rest of the rookies/ AHL tweeners.

74. pboy says:

Or Quinn/Renney know exactly the type of player that Pisani is and they don't feel the need to tire him out in the pre-season when it doesn't mean anything. I would be very surprised if Fernando wasn't killing penalties and playing a regular shift on the wing for Quinn. He's the type of player that coaches love and I don't think that there is much to worry about just because he isn't playing a ton right now.

Ricky Ray goes perfect 16/16 for 139 yards in the first half.

Currently tied for 4th all time completion streak with Dieter Brock.

76. Bruce says:

Hunter: I would hardly classify a guy who is ~4 goals/60 better than any teammate on the PK as a waste of a roster spot. Besides, in these days of guaranteed contracts and salary caps, "sending somebody packing" is a lot easier said than done.

77. pboy says:

I have to think that Moreau and/or Staios will be shown the door before Pisani this season and I don't think either of those guys need to worry, so…..

78. Steve says:

Well, at least he got the Masterton out of it.

79. Bruce says:

This guy Arkee Whitlock reminds me of Paul Coffey. Exciting, but not all for the right reasons. I don't think even Coffey ever cost us 14 points with one blunder.

80. pboy says:

You have to think about who Pat Quinn is and what does he want to accomplish in his very limited time in Edmonton. This is the last stop for him on a very long and distinguished coaching career and I don't imagine he came he to just "rebuild". Pisani is the type of player who helps good teams win and for that matter, so are Moreau and Staios. They might not score a lot or make highlight reels but they are good, solid foundation guys who are reliable and can be trusted. I'm not a fan of Moreau but if he can produce offensively close to last season and cut some of those stupid penalties, he's a valuable guy.

I also don't buy into to Quinn's folksy, old-timey persona right now. He's career hockey man who knew what he was getting into here in Edmonton. He tried to make it sound like he was going to be getting his first close look at most of these guys during training camp but I can't believe that both Renney and him weren't studying last season's tapes all summer and very prepared for TC. Why would Quinn have Pisani playing a ton of minutes in the pre-season and risk wearing him out or maybe make himself susceptible to injury?

81. hunter1909 says:

Bruce: Please be so kind as to re read my words, and you will find I'm not suggesting(a healthy) Pisani's a waste of anything.

82. hunter1909 says:

Paul Coffey was my favourite Oiler growing up, hands down.

I'm sure Quinn/Renney would cream themselves in one of Black Dog's baggies for a 1984 version of Paul Coffey.

hahahahaha

83. bookie says:

I also don't buy into to Quinn's folksy, old-timey persona right now

Yep, I agree, I expect that he may just walk out into the next press conference with an onion on his belt. He is laying it on a bit, but I think its part of being a bit vague about what they have going on here. No expectations.

84. pboy says:

We can’t bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don’t go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m’shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. Gimme five bees for a quarter, you’d say. Now where was I… oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn’t get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones…

85. Bruce says:

Please be so kind as to re read my words

OK, I'm feeling argumentative today. :)

"Pisani has been a semi- basket case Oiler for how many seasons now? Two?"

Years 2 and 3 of a 4-year contract, to be precise. One major bout of colitis, and one broken ankle. The former is still a factor I'm sure, the latter was just one of those things. (Matt Greene similarly busted his ankle the previous year, not because he was old or a "semi-basket case", it just happened.)

"He's no longer young in hockey player terms, and his health problems mitigate (?) taking an enormous hard look at his potential for wasting a roster spot"

If he's unhealthy, he goes on IR and doesn't "waste" a roster spot. If he's healthy, well …

"Since I'm pretty sure I can read Quinn's mind, right now Pisani's probably got about as good a chance as not making the final roster as any of the rest of the rookies/ AHL tweeners".

It's absurd to lump him in with rookies and tweeners. His contract situation and his sheer quality as a player put him in another category entirely.

… and you will find I'm not suggesting(a healthy) Pisani's a waste of anything.

Not sure if that's what I found, but I certainly agree with your conclusion.

Nice blocking, ass.

87. Bruce says:

These Eskimos don't have a freakin' clue how to play with the lead. Or, apparently, with a tie.

88. PDO says:

We traded a first round pick for that blocking.

Throw the flag, bad mark.

90. PDO says:

That spot was fucking ridiculous.

WHAT??????

92. PDO says:

And now they call that PI?

What?

93. PDO says:

… Richie, it's called a challenge flag.

Use it.

Throw the flag!!! If not on the mark, (then the stupid PI which is a joke) then FFS on the interception!!!

Jeebus.

95. Bruce says:

No challenge there? That's a HUA charged to the coach … never a good sign.

Christ almighty man, it's a tie game in the dying minutes. Or at least, it WAS a tie game.

Bad call by the zebra, worse call by the coach.

96. Bruce says:

Fuckin' zebras might as well be wearing green stripes. Three shitty calls on that drive, all in favour of the Riders.

98. PDO says:

Savvy kicker.

Veterans.

Doesn't matter what sport it is, they win you games.

Ray had such a good start to this game and the wideouts can't catch a fricking thing now.

Brutal play by 47.

100. PDO says:

Hold onto the fucking ball.

101. Bruce says:

"No yards, Edmonton.
    Major foul, Edmonton.
    Go Riders!"

102. Smarmy Boss says:

Considering Eskimos got away with about five holds in the first call just chalk it up bad reffing rather then biased reffing.

And your team sucks too.

103. PDO says:

Oh god fuck yourself Smarmy.

Holding has been happening on both lines, bringing that into the equation is fucking retarded.

104. FlamingPavelBure says:

Now i tought about something. Talking about Comrie's potential steal of Nilsson's job, i tought well maybe he was refering to ye 'ol Robbie Schremp. As if they still stick with those 3 scoring lines, Moreau doesn't belong on a scoring line. Well Comrie would basically take up Robbie's chances to get into that system.

Well they could kick Robert for Robbie but heh.

I don't believe Quinn's in love with the idea of having Moreau on his ''scoring'' lines. As for wasting a roster spot with Pisani… lol i would rather keep him than Macintyre or Zorg. To me fighters are as useless as can be.

Comon Nilsson my boy, prove them wrong, prove them all wrong! You'r capable of it! Damit!

105. Smarmy Boss says:

PDO

So you're agreeing it's bad reffing?

Also it's not my fault your receivers can't catch footballs anymore. Don't get so mad at the internet.

106. PDO says:

Your team sucks.

Nice coverage #1. Wow. I haven't seen coverage that bad since flag football.

108. PDO says:

That's some kind of catch.

That's also another very generous PI call for the Riders.

This is it, folks. Great game.

110. Black Dog says:

I thought the Oilers were playing the Islanders? Who are these 'Riders'?

Sounds like you guys are watching porn.

;)

Ricky Ray is an amazing quarterback. He's not a great one, but he's amazing.

112. Bruce says:

I think that game proves why the whole Western Conference is 6-5. Every game's a coin flip. There's nothing close to a dominant team, and everybody is equally capable of finding a way to lose as to win. They both did both in that fourth quarter.

113. PDO says:

Riders suck.

:D

I'm eating my own cooking tonight, but it was worth it. :-)

115. PDO says:

LT:

I got legitimately told to fuck off, and haven't heard back yet.

And it was worth it.

lol. I've been told to keep my distance.

117. PDO says:

Wanna go for a beer?

I think this may be a long night.. ;)

118. Bruce says:

When was the last time the Eskimos and the Oilers won in Saskatchewan on the same day?

I didn't think so. GOILERS!

119. Coach pb9617 says:

RRay is good. Thank Kurri they've never thought of going to Maas.

120. Bruce says:

Coach: Did you notice whose record Ray didn't break today?

121. doritogrande says:

Can we please not talk about football?

Please?

122. doritogrande says:

PS:

I don't they send a player denoted a "honourary captain" to the minors.

123. Bruce says:

DG: OK.

How about baseball? Just saw this great sign from Busch Stadium on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball:

Every
    Starting
    Pitcher's
    Nightmare

… with, of course, a picture of my man Albert Pujols swinging the bat. Usually those network-driven acronyms are forced when they're not downright weak, but this one is the gospel truth.

124. Icecastles says:

I'm with Dorito. Us Winnipeggers don't like to be reminded that particular sport exists right now. :(

125. doritogrande says:

I can understand if NYI is the "home" team tonight, but how do you really think Saskatoon fans feel about having the Star Spangled Banner as the second anthem?

Dallas owner picking his nose on television while the U.S. anthem is delivered AFTER Canada's in Saskatoon. I know it's an Islanders home game but that is not a good thing.

Fortunately the guy singing it didn't know the tune. Lovely version, though.

127. Black Gold says:

Tambellini has wheels. wow

128. doritogrande says:

Nice rush by Steve's kid. Who was that he just took wide?

129. doritogrande says:

Is it wrong to hope that Joensuu's playing again today?

He's having enough trouble with this "Jinemi" fellow.

130. doritogrande says:

This Rechlige kid's got one hell of a chin on him.

Made MacIntyre look pretty pedestrian.

131. Icecastles says:

I think I hate hearing and not seeing the fights even more than the goals.

Visnovsky's a beauty player.

Rod needs 1983.

134. the 0 in 0rca is for 0 cups says:

looks like it will be jdd

135. doritogrande says:

Icecastles:

Smac absolutely owned him the first half of the fight, but Rechlige stayed in there and took his licks. Then he turned the tables on Smac once he got tired and made 33 eat his own medicine.

Great scrap for any hockey fan. But I for one was expecting Smac to crush the 21 year old. He didn't.

136. Black Gold says:

Icecastles, if you wanna watch the game, too:
    Link

137. doritogrande says:

Fuck. Computer's hitting a runtime error every 5 minutes or so and I completely missed that goal.

138. Icecastles says:

Thanks Blackgold! My issue is bandwidth though. It keeps rebuffering the stream.

139. Black Gold says:

pouliot has looked strong so far.
    tape to tape passing.

140. doritogrande says:

Great heads up play by Stortini there. He looks faster.

141. B.C.B. says:

try the nhl.com stream it is working fine for me

142. Black Gold says:

here's another link that might be lower bandwidth.

143. doritogrande says:

Welcome to the NHL Mr. Tavares.

Poor play by Pouliot in the offensive zone and Dubnyk let out a juicy rebound. Not a good 20 seconds for the Oilers first rounders 03-04.

145. Perry K says:

The GM's kid looks great!

146. Coach pb9617 says:

Great heads up play by Stortini there. He looks faster.

He's playing against rubbydubs.

147. doritogrande says:

Ohhh Eberle.

He'd be nice to see on a 9-game tryout.

148. Alice says:

Exactly how much is Eberle giving away, anyhow?

I'll tell you he's causing me no pain right now

149. doritogrande says:

Now see, in Winnipeg, we don't need to be told to do the wave.

Real fans just know.

150. Gnash says:

Eberle has looked good again. Pouliot and Potulny both seem to be winning their share of face offs. Visnovsky has looked very good.
    I've seen enough of Plante in Oiler silks for this year. Dubnyk is making it easy for the organization to give him a pat on the back and send him down.
    Not much to look at in the crowd in Saskatoon is there?

151. Black Gold says:

looks like 37 is back on the acid and hes sharing it.

152. cartooncolin says:

Eberle should just eat up the WJ's this year.

153. doritogrande says:

Eberle's been the best of the forwards by far. If someone could finish his gifts, he'd be making this team.

154. Perry K says:

Plante has a very long learning curve ahead. Potulny has looked better last year. Not very good tonight!

Eberle! Wow! Jacques looks good or Eberle is making him look good? Can't tell. But the arrows are right for him.

Stortini hasn't played too much but is effective each time he is out. Where are the real Oilers?

155. NBOilerFan says:

I can't stay up any longer… but all I can say is, Eberle…. WOW. Looking like a man among kids, instead of the other way around.

And to all of those who thought we shoyld be trading Vishosky due to Grebs improvmentg of last year… go to hell.

Vish, Gilbert and Grebs should be here a ling, long time. I'd also keep Smid, and Staois gone first, then Souray.

I agree about that ling, long time thing. :-) Just kidding, although Charles Linglet being around has made me think of Ling-Ling a lot this fall.

Eberle has been impressive and I think we need to start mulling over the idea of a 9-game stint. If he can maintain this level as the rosters dwindle then it's a consideration.

157. boopronger says:

visnovsky's decision making with the puck is second to none. Forechecker is skating full speed right up to him and he does a little fake pass and skates around him.

I hope we get to witness a full season of lubo.

158. doritogrande says:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    O'Sullivan-Comrie-Pisani
    Cogliano-Gagner-Eberle
    Moreau-Pouliot-Stortini

In order of toughness of minutes? Yes please.

159. B.C.B. says:

I for one am not crazy over Eberle. Isn't he suppose to be a finisher? Try is good, results keep you on the team. I think he is small, and weak on the puck. When he gets separation it closes really fast.

Would I be surprised to see him get a nine game stint in the show? No. But why if that means maybe losing a player (like Stone, Reddox, Brule, or Schremp) on waivers?

160. doritogrande says:

There's Visnovsky's first real hit. Interesting to see if he gets gun-shy after that or if he's fully recovered.

161. Black Gold says:

Another good Pos, comrie and stone shift.

162. bookie says:

So, I am just coming in, does anyone have a 10 word summary of what the key stories of the game are so far.

163. doritogrande says:

Let's get a little critical here. Some of us have seen the Islanders twice in preseason, and I've been impressed by Calvin de Haan both games. He's the Islanders second 09 first round selection.

Will he be kept up this season as the powerplay QB?

164. doritogrande says:

Eberle best Oiler forward. Smac fights. Lubo back to normal.

165. doritogrande says:

Gagner is making plays

From the pressbox?

bookie: O'Sullivan is flying, Eberle is making plays and Stone/Jacques are being big. Other than that not much up front although Pisani is fine.

On D, Lubo is a thrill and the others have struggled. Not a good night in net for DD although he's made some saves.

That's 10 words, then a little bit. :-)

167. doritogrande says:

Oh sure. Make me look like an idiot LT.

Sly bastard ;)

lol. I didn't mean to, honest.

169. Alice says:

BCB, Have to disagree. Reddox=try. Great try. Eberle is creating offence, not just looking energetic and busy. Unless he's bleeding against badly, how do you lose sleep over Brule getting a chance somewhere?
    Get Eberle into the cohort w Cogs/Gagner. Understood that he's PB'd several times, and he really should be in the A, but how can he move forward in Regina anymore?

170. bookie says:

I know pre-season means nothing with regards to the Solid vetrans, so I am not too worried about play. Those guys are trying new things and/or thinking about Oct.

Its exciting to see some of the questions answer with a positive (Eberle, JFJ, etc.).

I'd be tempted to start the season with that Comrie-O'Sullivan-Stone line.

172. flamingpavelbure says:

I like how we're loosing 3-0 to the Islanders Farm team, and i see nothing but positive comments (exeption made for DD. After you want to convince me your not biased on Schremp, Nilsson and CO.

Jeez

flaming: I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

174. bookie says:

Thanks for the summary.

LT – Quinn may be tempted to do the same (w/ stone). We may see some Rubbymucks and Muckydubs out of this preseason when we thought it was clearly rubbydubs and muckymucks.

175. Perry K says:

We are looking like the Washington Generals! f'r Crissake! Aren't some of these kids interested in impressing the brass?

176. Black Gold says:

"Some of these guys can't make a play to save their life, one of them would be minard."
    haha strong words.

177. doritogrande says:

Sounds like Rod's had enough of these preseason games.

Rod RIPPING Minard. I love it! Years ago he convinced me Francois Leroux was going to be a great skater so that ship has sailed but Minard hasn't shown a lot this pre-season.

179. bookie says:

Did Rod just fire the whole team…?

Rods in 'couldn't care less about preseason' mode.

180. doritogrande says:

Well how's that for lucky bounces.

O'Sullivan scores.

181. William says:

POS!

182. flamingpavelbure says:

LT: Then don't deleted my completely biased post on Nilsson, if you do the same lol!

Back on the game, i would prefer Jacques to Stone (Seriously what's the fixation with him? Wouldn't see another fanbase that would love him as much as you guys do) If we get to scrap another spot for someone that's just a big guy, (Mac and Zorg) let's take the 6''4.

Yeah ! POS Rocking the house, Locking a look at the 1st line?

Love Phillips getting grumpy and calling out Minard.

Some of this is very shinny-like.

Hopefully a ton of cuts after tonight and they use the last 3 games to actually tune up the NHL line up and give the guys who are actually in competition for spots full games with real NHL'ers (Stone excepted)

POS!!

O'Sullivan (Visnovsky, Comrie)

Sick play by Lubo.

185. doritogrande says:

O'Sullivan (Visnovski, Comrie)

186. the 0 in 0rca is for 0 cups says:

rod uecker tonight.

go'sullivan!

187. kinger says:

Maybe the maladministration wasn't so mal after all.

I'd be tempted to start the season with that Comrie-O'Sullivan-Stone line.

Me too. Said in yesterday's thread that Stone makes my team and Brule doesn't.

DD stones Tavares.

See lots of stones around.

Grebeshkov. Lordy. Karl Malden buries that one.

190. kinger says:

I had the displeasure of being at the game last night; what a huge stinker for both teams. So far I have not been impressed with what I have seen from squad 'b' (Gagner and co.)

These team needs more Horcoff's and less Gagner's if they have any hope of making the post season.

191. bookie says:

If any of you are working on your computer and are pissed off that the game takes up 60% of the screen (cause of all the adds, etc.

You can paste this in and it gives you better control of the size and removes all of the surrounding stuff.

192. doritogrande says:

Wow. Visnovsky got pylon'd worse than Souray used to.

193. bookie says:

That link I just posted is also slightly poorer quality (as in resolution), but much smoother (as in jerkiness).

194. Black Gold says:

nice, bookie.

195. Perry K says:

Thanks Bookie,

That is much better.

196. Gnash says:

I don't think that anyone is gushing about the Oilers performance tonight, but I'm not surprised that the tone of the comments is more positive that last night. That crap was unbearable to watch.

In all the preseason, I have yet to see a powerplay that impressed me. Have I missed something that gives anyone else hope for the pp?

197. PunjabiOil says:

Part of asset management is determining which players are more replenishable than others.

Schremp. Brule. Stone. Jacques. Stortini. Reddox. Eberle. Pouliot.

Only 4 of the above will make it.

Schremp and Reddox will likely be cut.

I'd imagine Pouliot and Stortini will remain on the team. Jacques has a one-way and apparently has done well in the pre-season.

Which leaves us with one of Stone, Eberle, or Brule.

In the long run, I just can't see Stone making more of an impact than Brule.

In order for Eberle to make the team, Nilsson simply has to go. It's questionable whether Katz will bury a salary in the minors, and it's unlikely Nilsson would clear re-entry waivers later on.

Tough, tough decisions for Tambellini and company.

198. bookie says:

Have I missed something that gives anyone else hope for the pp?

Craig MacTavish is working for TSN?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

More seriously, I think its hard to judge those aspects of the game until the last two games of the pre-season and even then its tough.

There is a lot of playing with new things, putting people in bad positions for them, etc. to just try and figure out team assets.

Newer Comments »