Slava Trukhno wasn’t voted off the Oilers island until October 1st last season and he was one of the final 6 forwards cut before the 2008-09 campaign’s opening night. The final 5 players sent away a year ago (Corazzini, Potulny, Brule, Schremp, Jacques) represent a drop in the bucket compared to the forwards who will be sent down in the next week or so. One wonders where Trukhno will play if all of these men clear waivers.
Below I list the players sent out today, the day they were sent last fall (if they were Oilers) and discuss them in terms of my original depth chart posted here September 12.
- R Colin McDonald (Sept 25): I wonder about guys like McDonald. He was drafted the same season as Pouliot and Jacques and has never been close to the NHL. He played college hockey of course, but this is the third pro training camp for him and there’s no real sign of progress. I marked him 20th in the training camp look so he wasn’t a favorite to make the big team. Rob Schremp (#21), Jordan Eberle (#23), Ryan O’Marra (#27) and Milan Kytnar (#33) are still with the team.
- L Slava Trukhno (Oct 1): We can agree that TC is different this season because of the Olympics, but Trukhno didn’t show enough this fall. I had him ranked 22nd for this fall, so his getting sent out shouldn’t be considered a huge surprise. Among the players ranked lower who are still around are Eberle, Brennan, O’Marra and Milan Kytnar.
- L Geoff Paukovich (Sept 25): I had him 24th on my TC list, Paukovich got into some pre-season action this season and at least management knows about him. Brennan, O’Marra and Kytnar were all lower on my list at the start of training camp.
- L Charles Linglet (not an Oiler): I had him 29th and he stayed longer by a bit than the men around him. I don’t know that we’ll see him again.
- R Miroslav Lazo (not an Oiler): He was ranked 30th on the TC list and I honestly had about 6 posts ready to go on him. We were going to talk about Ubaldo Heredia and Coco Laboy but it was not to be. Interesting player. Unlike the others on this list, he was not retained (Oilers released him).
- D Johan Motin (not an Oiler): He was ranked 14th among the blue on my training camp list September 12. Among those still here but ranked lower are Alex Plante (#15) and Bryan Young (#16).
The Oilers (by my count) still have 44 players left in camp. Of those, goalies Sorochan and Mucha, defenders Chorney, Arsene, Taylor, Young and Plante, along with forward Ryan O’Marra could be sent out in the next day or two. Should those cuts be made, Edmonton would still have 36 players in camp for 23 spots. This is going to be an interesting week.