Oilers Lasso Lazo

Among the more interesting names at the Oilers main training camp this fall will be Miroslav Lazo. The Slovak right-winger is 31 years old and has played very little at the highest levels of European hockey (I’m using as a definition any league that Gabriel Desjardins has gathered enough information on to do NHL equivalencies).

He’s played two games in the Russian Super League (before KHL) and 32 games in the highest Czech league (in 03-04) but has been a consistent scorer for Bratislava in the Slovak league (that’s the town Vaclav Nedomansky played for as a young man by the way).

He’s a bit of an agitator (198 pims) and is 5.10, 194. I nicked the info from hfboards (Oilers) in the very useful thread “Rookie camp roster” which is worth keeping track of over the next couple of weeks. He’ll be here on a tryout and hopefully gets a few chances along the lines of the one in photo.

He hit the net, right?

17 Responses to "Oilers Lasso Lazo"

1. raventalon40 says:

The Milan Maslonka of 2009.

Palffy plays in that league, I'd like to see him in TC too. 52 goals this past season.

3. Hockey Noob says:

I used to be a huge Ziggy Palffy fan… Seeing him in Oil silks would be something even if he is what, 37 years old.

The good: The Oilers finally get their elusive 45+ goal scorer.

The bad: He last scored nearly 40 goals in the NHL in 2000. Haha, he was still a ppg player in 2005-6 though at the NHL level.

Hockey database lists him as 5'10" / 180lbs, so he would 'fit in' perfectly on our roster. In all seriousness, I would love to see him at this TC.

4. Oilman says:

Actually – it looks like he hit the goalies toe

5. uni says:

HFBoard posters have said that Lazo apparently trains with Vishnovsky in the offseason and that the Oilers asked Vishnovsky about him.

They also mention that 2 other teams were interested in him but the Oilers seemed most interested.

Scouting report says he's a skilled forward, but a bit of a dink on the ice, i.e. likes to be a shit disturber, and has a penchant for taking penalties at bad times, thus the high PIM count.

uni: Thanks for that, appreciated.

7. FlamingPavelBure says:

If you want career stats :

His +- numbers are pretty impressive.

Maybe an alternative to get a UFA. His PIM and +- suggest that he would be gritty and responsible in his own zone.

8. raventalon40 says:

So that makes him, what, Jarkko Ruutu with skills?

9. Art Vandelay says:

I call "Sept. 12" in the When a Guy Gets Cut pool.

10. PDO says:

You know it's been a long summer when LT has to start posting about guys playing in 2nd tier European leagues… ;)

11. ASRC says:

These are numbers from a few NHL players that played in the Slovak league in the year of the lockout, including Lazo.

Lazo 32 points in 40 games
    Zednik 34 points in 36 games
    Demitra 82 points in 54 games
    Gabork 52 points in 29 games
    Satan 20 points in 18 games
    Handzus 38 points in 33 games

12. RiversQ says:

Really? "Lasoo?"

I was sure the one room schoolhouses had rodeo on the curriculum.

13. Mark-Ryan says:

I learned what a Lasoo was like a real man: From Wonder Woman comic books.

Yeah, I'm a badass. I know.

14. Showerhead says:

If that is how your average goalie moves cross-crease in that league, odds are we can be a little skeptical of the man's offensive totals. Seems to be a few more holes there than from your standard butterflier, no?

Damn. I really have been spelling it that way forever. It's humbling to know Wilf Carter knew something I didn't for this long.

16. Bank Shot says:

So that makes him, what, Jarkko Ruutu with skills?

I doubt his skills are any better than Jarkko's. More like Ruutu without the size.

17. flamingpavelbure says:

Well, Ruutu got some skills… in the shootout