Oilers Send down Roy (Q) and Pitton (AHL)

The Edmonton Oilers had too many goalies at training camp and took quick action to correct it today. Highly-touted 2009 draft pick Olivier Roy is on his way back to the QMJHL and the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. The young man (very young, born July 1991) has a bright future and will be worth keeping track of all winter long. There have been whispers about an invite to the World Junior camp but we’ve heard that before and will wait and see.

The Pitton demotion must sting a little, as it means that several undrafted men have passed him on the depth chart. At a guess, the pro G depth chart might look like this currently:

1. Nikolai Khabibulin
  2. Jeff Deslauriers
  3. Devan Dubnyk
  4. Andrew Perugini
  5. Bryan Pitton

Aaron Sorochan and Kurtis Mucha remain in camp but as of now are unsigned (to my knowledge). The fact they’re still in camp and Pitton is gone is probably further indication that Pitton’s current contract will not be renewed next summer. It’s hard to imagine he rises above Stockton (ECHL) for the start of the season.

12 Responses to "Oilers Send down Roy (Q) and Pitton (AHL)"

1. dawgbone says:

Wouldn't shock me if Pitton had an outstanding year. He seems to pull them out of nowhere after struggling the previous year.

2. Whitey says:

I think Roy's being sent to the minors is less a comment on his current ability and a more a comment on his status. He was obviously getting sent down so why not take a longer look at the the other goalies who are fighting for a spot in either Edmonton, Springfield or Stockton.

3. mc79hockey says:

Sorry for the threadjack but Jason Gregor has clarified the Brule issue.

Anyone understand the clarification?

4. Schitzo says:

Fire up the HBomb-signal:

I have a bottle of Sambuca. I don't even know where it came from, but it's now at my house. What the hell can I mix it with to make it worth drinking?

5. doritogrande says:

Schitzo:

FIRE! Fire and slam that fucker down.

6. raventalon40 says:

Andrew Perugini is going to be the goalie of the future.

7. Gord says:

Since this post is near the top, I am guessing it will be read (hopefully answered).

When I click on "The South Smythian Rolo-Gator" blog, it takes me to http://pommpie.com/

My computer gives me the following message:

This web site at pommpie.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Plus: Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Is the link safe?

8. Ribs says:

The Brule thing is messed up. Why in the world would Olczyk feel the need to straight up lie to Gregor (still assuming he knows what he's doing)?

Would Schremps contract negotiations be of any impact to the situation?

9. spOILer says:

This is really bad news for Pitton, and I suspect is based more on the depth chart and his play last year than anything he did or didn't do at his shortened camp.

Unless of course he beat Penner in a weigh-off Day One.

10. kris says:

Tyler,

Can't you read? Gregor was very clear that
    a.) "some things transpired"
    and
    b.) he "can't discuss dirty laundry."

I mean, I was unsure whether things had transpired or not. Now that I know, I'm okay. And as long as only clean fresh laundry is discussed, I'm happy. Smelly laundry equals unhappy fans, you know.

That should pretty much satisfy us all until we look the other way at something shiny.

11. Ribs says:

Gord, you're likely okay if you're browser blocked the page. I'd run a full scan or two just to make sure nothing slipped through.

12. Lord Bob says:

You don't want to read the South-Smythian Rolo-Gator anyway. The guy who wrote it is a hack of the first degree.