Sail On, Gator

29 Responses to "Sail On, Gator"

1. DBO says:

Classy player, heart and soul guy. Wonder if the cap crunch the Sens are in contributed to this decision.

wonder if he is the kind of player the Oil would bring back for the coaching staff? Maybe with Daum in the minors?

2. SK Oiler Fan says:

Odd time to retire don't you think? I'm assuming he has been training all summer.

I know his game has deteriorated drastically since 07, but 2.6M is alot to walk away from.

Makes you wonder if the Sens threatened to make him the 7th D-man or send him to the minors this year.

It's just frustrating when other teams can get out from under bad contracts and the Oilers keep adding more.

3. bookie says:

YOu do have to wonder about that walking away from the $$ thing. I wonder if there was some kind of deal there.

4. Travis Dakin says:

Oh there has to be some kind of deal there. No way he walks away from 2.5 mil this late in his career. I bet they told him that if he retires they will still give him the full salary, no cap hit to the team so they can fit Heatley in and still have room for a 1.3 Mike Comrie…. hmmm. This definitely stinks.

5. R-Gib says:

Was a solid player and quality captain and leader for the Oilers.

6. raventalon40 says:

Jason Smith… miss him already. Was kind of hoping he'd come back before retirement a la Kevin Lowe.

7. Eskimo44 says:

Just by the way he played the game it wouldnt bother me to see his number retired. One of the toughest defenseman in the league for years.

8. bookie says:

Jason Smith played hard, but com'n, the guy really was a #3 or 4defensman in this league and was often responsible for goals against (moreso than most folks).

He was a hero here because of his lunchbox attitude (in that he would knock your teeth out with a lunchbox if he had one), but retiring his number….what are you talking about?

9. Travis Dakin says:

"This reminds me of what happens at a funeral. All of the sudden people are talking about Joe Deadguy like he was a hero instead of a pain in the ass. "

And that reminds me of how there always has to be a nay sayer. Obviously he would never get his jersey retired here, it was just an exaggerated expression of appreciation for what he has meant to this team. Relax.

10. mjsh says:

Jason Smith as an Oiler was a hero.

11. Dyckster says:

To quote bookie – "was often responsible for goals against"

Actually he had a career plus/minus of +26. Everone is at times responsible for goals against. At +26 he's no Larry Robinson, but Larry played on some pretty good teams if you recall.

12. Master Lok says:

Curious about the retirement as well with one year left. I wonder if he would like a role like Mike Keane, playing as an AHL veteran with an AHL contract, he could be useful in that role providing leadership and stability for Springfield.

13. doritogrande says:

Master Lok:

Calgary doesn't have an AHL team. That's likely the only reason Mike Keane's still playing for my Manitoba Moose. My guess is he'd want to be with family after retirement, not playing hockey in some podunk town in Massachussettes.

14. Hockey Noob says:

LT, sorry to thread jack. Timo Seppa from Puck Prospectus has recently sent me some data regarding Oilers player rankings by ESTR. I've presented this data with my analysis, here: hhttp://tiny.cc/ESTR850

15. Hockey Noob says:

Sorry, my last tiny link wasn't pasted properly, here it is again for anyone interested: http://tiny.cc/ESTR850

16. HBomb says:

On the topic of Smith and jersey retirements, I'll say no, but I will immediately follow it up by saying this: if he had played his entire career for the Oilers (a la Ken Daneyko for the Devils), it would have been an absolute slam dunk.

My guess and hope is that if one of Horcoff, Pisani or Hemsky retires an Oiler, having never played anywhere else, they'll receive this honor (an even greater likelihood if the team wins a Stanley during that time period).

17. Lord Bob says:

Or Schremp!

18. RiversQ says:

I'm against all jersey retirements. They're all dumb.

Smith was a heck of an Oiler. A personal favourite of mine.

19. Travis Dakin says:

No Oiler player deserves a jersey retirement until after Kevin Lowe's number is up there.

20. RiversQ says:

That's cool with me, as long as Lowe himself is hanging up there next to it.

/black humour

21. Travis Dakin says:

And funny it was. HA.

22. kris says:

Buchberger was here for 11 years. Jason Smith only 8.

If you start handing out jersey retirements, Buchy is in line before Smith.

Speaking of which, when will Smith go from beloved Oiler role player to oft maligned Oiler coach? That will happen, won't it?

My favorite Smith moment was whenever he would reach out with one arm and strong arm a guy trying to go around him into the boards. He was great at that and made a lot of guys like weak on their skates. Fun player.

23. Doogie2K says:

I know we sold high on him, but damn, some vintage Gator would look good on this team right now.

24. bookie says:

I think they should name the new arena after him and then melt down the Gretzky statue and recast it as a Jason Smith statue.

I like Jason Smith, he was a great team player and did a lot for the Oilers. In terms of 'Oilerishness', I would say he is one of the top 25 or so Oilers that have played here. In terms of actual contribution, maybe top 40 or so. I think that we need to watch the hyperbole…

25. boopronger says:

I always loved how clean he hit guys without taking penalties. Just crushing body checks too.

26. Icecastles says:

I loved his strong masculine jaw and steely-eyed gaze. Sorry, just getting into the spirit of it. ;)

27. Black Dog says:

I loved how he'd always cuddle after we made love. A man of great power and sensitivity, a reare find these days.

I think he lost a lot of his innocence during his time at Shawshank. You could see it in the eyes and the way he avoided the laundry room.

29. Black Dog says:

Also in the way he never dropped the soap in the shower.