Pat Quinn didn’t say much during the early session today (but he made up for it, more later) as one team couldn’t score and the other couldn’t stop but the breakouts looked fine and the forwards came back to help consistently. At one point they decided to try some 4-on-4 to open things up a little bit, but the flood opened for Team Blue really only during the shootout.
Here’s a quick glance at Team A, Blue and G:
- Sheldon Souray: Just messing around. Didn’t pull out the Jim Beam despite scoring a goal and went with low power when he did shoot on the net. Looked bored a little today, but effective.
- Lubomir Visnovsky: DNP. No contact for a few more days.
- Ladislav Smid: Scored a goal (shootout? can’t remember) and impressed me with his foot speed. I think Quinn will like him.
- Steve Staios: Steady hand, he looked calm and effective and maybe a little less engaged than the rest. It might be a boring day for veteran blue.
- Johan Motin: Impressed again today, he’s calm and can move the puck. I know he’ll show some warts as we move along but he looked more NHL than AHL to me today.
- Cody Wild: Jumped into the play a few times and moved the puck to the forwards smartly. I remain convinced he’s a player.
- Bryan Young: He looked steady save for one play where he was very passive and ended up backing into his goalie. He was caught flat footed once after just getting onto the ice as a turnover took place in front of him but Young recovered nicely.
- Matt Nickerson: Big body, if he could skate at all he’d be a factor.
- Nikolai Khabibulin: I thought he looked a little rusty. Strong most of the time but a little wonky here and there. It’s early.
- Devan Dubnyk: I thought he was splendid, in fact I think he stopped everything. Big man looks very confident.
- Curtis Mucha: I didn’t notice any huge errors.
- Olivier Roy: Looked like he flagged a little with all the rubber that passed him but let’s get real here. I saw him later sitting in the stands (think it was him) and he looked like he could be one of my son’s friends. Look 12.
Team B Forwards in a little while.