TC Comments: Team A Blue and G

Pat Quinn didn’t say much during the early session today (but he made up for it, more later) as one team couldn’t score and the other couldn’t stop but the breakouts looked fine and the forwards came back to help consistently. At one point they decided to try some 4-on-4 to open things up a little bit, but the flood opened for Team Blue really only during the shootout.

Here’s a quick glance at Team A, Blue and G:

• Sheldon Souray: Just messing around. Didn’t pull out the Jim Beam despite scoring a goal and went with low power when he did shoot on the net. Looked bored a little today, but effective.
  • Lubomir Visnovsky: DNP. No contact for a few more days.
  • Ladislav Smid: Scored a goal (shootout? can’t remember) and impressed me with his foot speed. I think Quinn will like him.
  • Steve Staios: Steady hand, he looked calm and effective and maybe a little less engaged than the rest. It might be a boring day for veteran blue.
  • Johan Motin: Impressed again today, he’s calm and can move the puck. I know he’ll show some warts as we move along but he looked more NHL than AHL to me today.
  • Cody Wild: Jumped into the play a few times and moved the puck to the forwards smartly. I remain convinced he’s a player.
  • Bryan Young: He looked steady save for one play where he was very passive and ended up backing into his goalie. He was caught flat footed once after just getting onto the ice as a turnover took place in front of him but Young recovered nicely.
  • Matt Nickerson: Big body, if he could skate at all he’d be a factor.
  • Nikolai Khabibulin: I thought he looked a little rusty. Strong most of the time but a little wonky here and there. It’s early.
  • Devan Dubnyk: I thought he was splendid, in fact I think he stopped everything. Big man looks very confident.
  • Curtis Mucha: I didn’t notice any huge errors.
  • Olivier Roy: Looked like he flagged a little with all the rubber that passed him but let’s get real here. I saw him later sitting in the stands (think it was him) and he looked like he could be one of my son’s friends. Look 12.

Team B Forwards in a little while.

15 Responses to "TC Comments: Team A Blue and G"

1. Schitzo says:

Khabibulin getting beat clean by MacMurchey off a penalty shot concerned me… oh well, hopefully he was just bored.

2. flamingpavelbure says:

Heh, maybe Ladislav can finally cover up the hype associated to his draft position :P

3. Bar Qu says:

How do you solve a problem like Johan Motin?

Everything I hear about this guy says player. I am totally in favour of the slow start with the Falcons, but is he another guy that pushes not only Peckham but Strudwick too?

Hey, I didn't see the guy in person, but I definitely will listen with interest for his name when those Springfield reports come out.

4. raventalon40 says:

I saw Motin at the Golden Bears game and he was the most confident defenseman on the ice. Probably already surpassed Peckham and Strudwick on the depth chart, and that's coming from a big Peckham fan right here.

5. raventalon40 says:

Mind you, I don't have a very high opinion on Strudwick, so this could be biased as well.

6. Yeti says:

Motin is good cover to have when the inevitable injuries strike our D. While he may just about be good enough now for 6/7 D in the NHL, it's great to have a whole stack of those in waiting while playing big minutes in the AHL.

7. Dennis says:

Sounds like Laddy's ready to break out offensively!!

!!!!

Albelin went 3-20-23 as a 23-year old, the race is on!

9. Bank Shot says:

LT- How did Motin's skating look compared to the NHL defensemen?

I thought he had excellent mobility when I saw him, but his acceleration/speed, did not look like a big strength.

The other quibble is that he looks a little undersized for a D-man with zero offence.

He's pretty polished already though, and his puck skills and passing look sharp.

10. Racki says:

Dubnyk said he didn't allow a goal today. Wowza. He's also starting tomorrow in the pre-season game vs. Calgary. VERY excited about that, as I've been wanting to see him for a bit.

Bank Shot: I can't really say one way or another. Didn't notice anything but wasn't looking for it.

I do know that we'll find out during pre-season, though.

12. Bank Shot says:

Yea no doubt, its hard to tell alot from a scrimmage. Thanks for all of the info. Its a cornucopia of goodness.

Hopefully we get to see Motin sit Tavares on his can in a couple days.

13. digger says:

Everything I've seen and read about Motin speaks to me of a player that's got a level of polish and calm feet that most rookies take a couple of years to attain.

The cool thing? He doesn't turn 20 years of age for another month yet. He's over 2 years younger than both Chorney and Peckham.

It'll definitely be interesting to track this guy over the year in Springfield. I'm betting he'll see some NHL time as soon as this year. It might only be a game here and there, or it might be more than that.

14. Gord says:

Motin impressed me a lot defensively today – a lot… He shut down almost every player who came down his side. And considering many were NHL players…

His skating was fine but it was his positioning that jumped out at me. I'm going to be focusing on him during the pre-season to see if he actually is Hejda lite…

On a side note, he had Comrie lined up for the kill once (keep your head up Mike) but just stopped him in his tracks. Everyone watching knew he could have hurt him if he wanted to…

15. Andrew says:

Sheldon Souray "didn't pull out the Jim Beam…"

Hilarious!